Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Friday before the stormFollow

#77 Aug 31 2011 at 7:01 PM Rating: Good
Drunken English Bastard
*****
15,268 posts
Eske Esquire wrote:
It's a mixed bag, but they don't call them Vermonsters for nothing. We used to snowboard up there every winter, and there's definitely some hostility among the locals towards ski tourism. It's a bit ridiculous, considering that the tourism is basically the only thing bringing any livelihood to a lot of areas there.

Generally you'll find that the case wherever tourism is the main industry. Pick any Mediterranean holiday Island, the locals will all hate tourists, but it's how they earn their livelihoods for the majority of the year.
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#78 Aug 31 2011 at 7:22 PM Rating: Excellent
Encyclopedia
******
34,917 posts
Nilatai wrote:
Eske Esquire wrote:
It's a mixed bag, but they don't call them Vermonsters for nothing. We used to snowboard up there every winter, and there's definitely some hostility among the locals towards ski tourism. It's a bit ridiculous, considering that the tourism is basically the only thing bringing any livelihood to a lot of areas there.

Generally you'll find that the case wherever tourism is the main industry. Pick any Mediterranean holiday Island, the locals will all hate tourists, but it's how they earn their livelihoods for the majority of the year.


I think that depends on the nature of the tourism and what the tourists are doing. If the things that bring tourists to your town are things that the locals don't do often, then you don't see that problem. But when it is (like say with skiing, or hanging out on the beach), there's a lot more issues. I'm 100% certain I've never heard anyone comment "OMG! What the **** are all these stupid tourists doing at Sea World?" before.

Edited, Aug 31st 2011 6:23pm by gbaji
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#79 Aug 31 2011 at 7:45 PM Rating: Good
GBATE!! Never saw it coming
Avatar
****
9,296 posts
Yeah, but that's California, which like akin to @#%^ing Mars, really.

Edited, Aug 31st 2011 7:45pm by Bijou
____________________________
Jophiel wrote:
Last week, I saw a guy with an eyepatch and a gold monocle and pointed him out to Flea as one of the most awesome things I've seen, ever. If I had an eyepatch and a gold monocle, I'd always dress up as Mr. Peanut but with a hook hand and a parrot.
#80 Aug 31 2011 at 8:24 PM Rating: Excellent
Gurue
*****
16,299 posts
When I was still in Nashville we all hated the tourists. No, Nashvillians do NOT dress like Porter Waggoner and Minnie Pearl, we don't all sing country music, and Opryland was a theme park, not a sub-division. Smiley: bah
#81 Sep 01 2011 at 5:58 AM Rating: Good
Nilatai wrote:
Eske Esquire wrote:
It's a mixed bag, but they don't call them Vermonsters for nothing. We used to snowboard up there every winter, and there's definitely some hostility among the locals towards ski tourism. It's a bit ridiculous, considering that the tourism is basically the only thing bringing any livelihood to a lot of areas there.

Generally you'll find that the case wherever tourism is the main industry. Pick any Mediterranean holiday Island, the locals will all hate tourists, but it's how they earn their livelihoods for the majority of the year.
This is another instance where I have found the opposite true. When I was in Nassau some local guys who ran a snorkel charter came and hung out with us at the end of the day in the condo we had rented. They brought their own beer and even supplied the weed. Same thing happened at the end of the week with a the crew of a different boat.
____________________________
Edited, Mar 21st 2011 2:14pm by Darqflame Lock Thread: Because Lubriderm is silly... ~ de geso

Almalieque wrote:
I know what a glory hole is, but I wasn't sure what the business part was in reference to.

My Anime List
#82 Sep 01 2011 at 7:07 AM Rating: Good
****
6,471 posts
Our train station is closed, likely through Sunday due to flooding issues. Now I have to drive out like 2 extra hours early to fight the extra 200+ people that I'm competing with for parking spots at the next station down the line. Didn't make it early enough today, so I may get to fight a parking ticket for taking one of the monthly permit spots.

Fucking ****, Irene. Enough of this already.
#83 Sep 01 2011 at 7:30 AM Rating: Good
GBATE!! Never saw it coming
Avatar
****
9,296 posts
Wait..trains transport people where you live? Weird.
____________________________
Jophiel wrote:
Last week, I saw a guy with an eyepatch and a gold monocle and pointed him out to Flea as one of the most awesome things I've seen, ever. If I had an eyepatch and a gold monocle, I'd always dress up as Mr. Peanut but with a hook hand and a parrot.
#84 Sep 01 2011 at 10:55 AM Rating: Good
Prodigal Son
******
20,518 posts
Friar Bijou wrote:
Wait..trains transport people where you live? Weird.

Yeah, they got the idea from Germany back in the late 30s-early 40s. But the conditions these days aren't quite as good.
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#85 Sep 01 2011 at 2:14 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
34,917 posts
Eske Esquire wrote:
Our train station is closed, likely through Sunday due to flooding issues. Now I have to drive out like 2 extra hours early to fight the extra 200+ people that I'm competing with for parking spots at the next station down the line. Didn't make it early enough today, so I may get to fight a parking ticket for taking one of the monthly permit spots.


The idea of having to get up 2 hours earlier to drive some extra difference so that you can get on a train to get somewhere is just mindboggling to me. Why not just drive to where you're going? Oh wait! Because you live in an area where they chose to invest in public transportation instead of just building roads like sane people do so you have no choice. It's better, right? Smiley: rolleyes
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#86 Sep 01 2011 at 2:24 PM Rating: Good
******
49,732 posts
gbaji wrote:
Because you live in an area where they chose to invest in public transportation instead of just building roads like sane people do so you have no choice.
You're right, that hurricane did a bit of harm. It wasn't the horrors of that massive three inches of snow and a few raindrops like you have to endure, but it was still a little something.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#87 Sep 01 2011 at 2:26 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
34,917 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
gbaji wrote:
Because you live in an area where they chose to invest in public transportation instead of just building roads like sane people do so you have no choice.
You're right, that hurricane did a bit of harm. It wasn't the horrors of that massive three inches of snow and a few raindrops like you have to endure, but it was still a little something.


Was there a point in there somewhere?
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#88 Sep 01 2011 at 2:27 PM Rating: Good
******
49,732 posts
gbaji wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
gbaji wrote:
Because you live in an area where they chose to invest in public transportation instead of just building roads like sane people do so you have no choice.
You're right, that hurricane did a bit of harm. It wasn't the horrors of that massive three inches of snow and a few raindrops like you have to endure, but it was still a little something.
Was there a point in there somewhere?
Yes varus, there was.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#89 Sep 01 2011 at 3:14 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Is Gbaji seriously suggesting that Eske's destination isn't connected to the world by asphalt and that there might not be other factors which still make the train a more attractive option?
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#90 Sep 01 2011 at 3:21 PM Rating: Good
****
6,471 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Is Gbaji seriously suggesting that Eske's destination isn't connected to the world by asphalt and that there might not be other factors which still make the train a more attractive option?


Seems that way. Last I recall, midtown Manhattan was connected to the rest of the world via roads. And yes, there are other factors at play. He's off by a wide margin.

Edited, Sep 1st 2011 5:23pm by Eske
#91 Sep 01 2011 at 3:28 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Those fools in New York with their crazy "trains" and "buses" and "subways"! Environmental pie-in-the-sky greenie beatniks, all of them!
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#92 Sep 01 2011 at 4:06 PM Rating: Good
Encyclopedia
******
34,917 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Is Gbaji seriously suggesting that Eske's destination isn't connected to the world by asphalt and that there might not be other factors which still make the train a more attractive option?


*cough* The "other factors" are the point I'm making. It's just absolutely bizarre to me to be so dependent on public transportation to get somewhere.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#93 Sep 01 2011 at 4:09 PM Rating: Good
******
49,732 posts
Yet, with all those common sense roads you have a state full of lousy drivers. Smiley: dubious
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#94 Sep 01 2011 at 4:23 PM Rating: Decent
Prodigal Son
******
20,518 posts
gbaji wrote:
Jophiel wrote:
Is Gbaji seriously suggesting that Eske's destination isn't connected to the world by asphalt and that there might not be other factors which still make the train a more attractive option?


*cough* The "other factors" are the point I'm making. It's just absolutely bizarre to me to be so dependent on public transportation to get somewhere.

When was the last time *you* tried to park in Manhattan?
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#95 Sep 01 2011 at 4:45 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
gbaji wrote:
*cough* The "other factors" are the point I'm making.

Your point is that parking or gas or wear or traffic or whatever could still make the train a more attractive option than driving even with an extra wait?

Well then! You had a bizarre way of saying it but I'm glad you agree!
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#96 Sep 01 2011 at 6:42 PM Rating: Good
Encyclopedia
******
34,917 posts
Jophiel wrote:
gbaji wrote:
*cough* The "other factors" are the point I'm making.

Your point is that parking or gas or wear or traffic or whatever could still make the train a more attractive option than driving even with an extra wait?


No. My point is that city planning designed specifically to utilize public transportation instead of personal vehicles artificially creates the very problem that was being complained about. In many cases, the city planners deliberately make automobile access as difficult as possible in order to force more riders onto the public systems, so as to make them more economically viable. The end result is the somewhat absurd condition of having to get into your car 2 hours ahead of time, so that you can park at a different train station so you can get to work.


Cities that don't do this don't have this problem. Ever.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#97 Sep 01 2011 at 6:45 PM Rating: Good
******
49,732 posts
gbaji wrote:
Cities that don't do this don't have this problem. Ever.
That's true, you can't blame the city planners for your lousy drivers when it sprinkles a little.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#98 Sep 01 2011 at 6:58 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
gbaji wrote:
My point is that city planning designed specifically to utilize public transportation instead of personal vehicles artificially creates the very problem that was being complained about. In many cases, the city planners deliberately make automobile access as difficult as possible in order to force more riders onto the public systems, so as to make them more economically viable.

Hahahahahaha...

Oh my God. Seriously.

Yeah, that's the reason for traffic congestion and limited parking in midtown Manhattan. The conspiracy to get everyone to use mass transit.

Smiley: laughSmiley: laughSmiley: laugh
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#99 Sep 01 2011 at 7:06 PM Rating: Good
****
6,471 posts
gbaji wrote:
Jophiel wrote:
gbaji wrote:
*cough* The "other factors" are the point I'm making.

Your point is that parking or gas or wear or traffic or whatever could still make the train a more attractive option than driving even with an extra wait?


No. My point is that city planning designed specifically to utilize public transportation instead of personal vehicles artificially creates the very problem that was being complained about. In many cases, the city planners deliberately make automobile access as difficult as possible in order to force more riders onto the public systems, so as to make them more economically viable. The end result is the somewhat absurd condition of having to get into your car 2 hours ahead of time, so that you can park at a different train station so you can get to work.


Cities that don't do this don't have this problem. Ever.


Wow. You're gonna spread yourself that thin just to avoid acknowledging that you made a dumb, erroneous comment?

Sad.
#100 Sep 01 2011 at 7:36 PM Rating: Excellent
gbaji wrote:
Jophiel wrote:
gbaji wrote:
*cough* The "other factors" are the point I'm making.

Your point is that parking or gas or wear or traffic or whatever could still make the train a more attractive option than driving even with an extra wait?


No. My point is that city planning designed specifically to utilize public transportation instead of personal vehicles artificially creates the very problem that was being complained about. In many cases, the city planners deliberately make automobile access as difficult as possible in order to force more riders onto the public systems, so as to make them more economically viable. The end result is the somewhat absurd condition of having to get into your car 2 hours ahead of time, so that you can park at a different train station so you can get to work.


Cities that don't do this don't have this problem. Ever.
You're confusing city planning with natural disasters. But I guess "cities that don't do this" don't ever have any kind of inclement weather. Why are you using a blatantly and completely unusual situation in your argument? It just makes you look stupid. At least go and pull up a slightly normal example of mass transit.

Edited, Sep 1st 2011 8:39pm by Xsarus
____________________________
01001001 00100000 01001100 01001001 01001011 01000101 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001011 01000101
You'll always be stupid, you'll just be stupid with more information in your brain
Forum FAQ
#101 Sep 01 2011 at 7:52 PM Rating: Good
Prodigal Son
******
20,518 posts
You know what? gbaji's right. An extra five million cars on the streets of New York would alleviate these problems.
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 96 All times are in CDT
Jophiel, Anonymous Guests (95)