Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2 3
Reply To Thread

Not Obstructionist At All!Follow

#1 Aug 10 2011 at 7:43 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
I'd have plugged this into an existing thread but none of the recent ones really seemed to apply. I need to just start an omnibus thread for my musings Smiley: laugh

Political Wire wrote:
Rep. Michael Burgess (R-TX) agreed with a constituent that President Obama should be impeached in an attempt "to obstruct the president from pushing his agenda," the Fort Worth Star Telegram reports.

Said Burgess: "It needs to happen, and I agree with you it would tie things up. No question about that."

Burgess expanded on the comment to Politico: "We need to tie things up. The longer we allow the damage to continue unchecked, the worse things are going to be for us."
Star Telegram wrote:
When one attendee suggested that the House push for impeachment proceedings against President Obama to obstruct the president from pushing his agenda, Burgess was receptive.

"It needs to happen, and I agree with you it would tie things up," Burgess said. "No question about that."

When asked about the comment later, Burgess said he wasn't sure whether the proper charges to bring up articles of impeachment against Obama were there, but he didn't rule out pursuing such a course.


There ya go. Impeach the president not because of a specific "high crime & misdemeanor" as the Constitution states but throw it out there just to block up Congress for a while.

I think the question of obstructionist Republicans has been adequately answered. This is a 5th term Congressman too, not some young buck in his first term who doesn't understand the process.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#2 Aug 10 2011 at 7:53 AM Rating: Excellent
******
43,849 posts
It's a high crime expecting work out of our Congressmen. We must put a stop to this kind of treasonous thought.

Edited, Aug 10th 2011 9:54am by lolgaxe
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#3varusword75, Posted: Aug 10 2011 at 8:29 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Jophed wrote;
#4 Aug 10 2011 at 8:33 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
varusword75 wrote:
Quote:
waaaahhhhhhh

You're not even trying Smiley: laugh

Quote:
Anything that can be done to slow the rate at which they're destroying this country is a good thing.

Not that there was any doubt that conservatives value partisanship over the Constitution but thanks for reminding us Smiley: smile
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#5 Aug 10 2011 at 8:50 AM Rating: Excellent
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,030 posts
Jophiel wrote:
varusword75 wrote:
Quote:
waaaahhhhhhh

You're not even trying Smiley: laugh

Quote:
Anything that can be done to slow the rate at which they're destroying this country is a good thing.

Not that there was any doubt that conservatives value partisanship over the Constitution but thanks for reminding us Smiley: smile
Sure I think conservatives have some pretty whacky notions, but I don't think they're they deserve having Varus lumped in with them.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#6 Aug 10 2011 at 8:51 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Given that him and Gbaji are lockstep 99% of the time, I think it's a safe claim.

If anything, it's a reason to not want to call yourself conservative any longer.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#7 Aug 10 2011 at 8:52 AM Rating: Good
Official Shrubbery Waterer
*****
14,056 posts
So a far-right crank from a far-right district said something to appeal to his far-right base?

Say it ain't so!
____________________________
Almalieque wrote:
I'm biased against statistics

#8 Aug 10 2011 at 9:04 AM Rating: Excellent
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,030 posts
Here's another...

Obstruction to Maine voters: One of the first things the newly appointed republican congress of Maine did, was to pass a law that disallows same day voter registration. It took no time at all to for Maine citizens to come up with more than enough signatures for a peoples referendum to put the matter to a vote this November.

This morning the speaker of the house was quoted in the paper saying:

House Speaker Nutting wrote:
“Here in Maine, the people’s veto is part of our democratic process, and the extreme left-wing groups and individuals behind this signature-gathering effort have every right to try to pursue it,” said Republican House Speaker Robert Nutting of Oakland.


Extreme? Really? It makes me wonder who is out of touch with the peoples of this state...me or him?

The battle ensues concerning voter fraud. Prior to the new law, there had been no accusations or issues of any kind of voter fraud in this quaint little state. When questioned why the law was passed and/or necessary, our congressional detectives went and found some voter fraud. Now our AG has had to begrudgingly agree to investigate. 'le sigh'.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#9 Aug 10 2011 at 9:07 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Demea wrote:
So a far-right crank from a far-right district said something to appeal to his far-right base?

By "far-right base", you mean "Republicans".
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#10 Aug 10 2011 at 9:07 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,030 posts
Jophiel wrote:


If anything, it's a reason to not want to call yourself conservative any longer.
Smiley: nod

Varus, you're an unwitting tool for the dems. -> 'Loser'
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#11varusword75, Posted: Aug 10 2011 at 10:03 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Joph,
#12 Aug 10 2011 at 10:07 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
varusword75 wrote:
Obstructionist is the word

Agreed. Hence the OP.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#13 Aug 10 2011 at 10:16 AM Rating: Excellent
******
43,849 posts
Don't you know? The Bird is the word.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#14 Aug 10 2011 at 10:17 AM Rating: Default
*
150 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Given that him and Gbaji are lockstep 99% of the time, I think it's a safe claim.

If anything, it's a reason to not want to call yourself conservative any longer.


Gbaji clearly being the quintessential conservative.

Smiley: dubious
____________________________
Ain't no ban here bruh
#15 Aug 10 2011 at 10:24 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Demea wrote:
So a far-right crank from a far-right district said something to appeal to his far-right base?

Say it ain't so!


Yeah, well this wouldn't really a problem with conservatives if they tried to appeal to their base's better virtues. As a politician, you need to be at least a little bit of a leader and an exemplary person. If ALL you're going to do is represent your constituents, and in the truest form by representing their flaws and weaknesses, then we might as well just start electing average shmucks off the street and paying them a fraction of the amount.

When a politician is being unreasonable because his base is unreasonable, it bodes ill for the party, not to mention the country.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#16varusword75, Posted: Aug 10 2011 at 10:25 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Joph,
#17 Aug 10 2011 at 10:26 AM Rating: Excellent
****
6,470 posts
Varus, why do you hate the constitution?
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#18 Aug 10 2011 at 10:27 AM Rating: Excellent
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,030 posts
varusword75 wrote:
Joph,

What you don't get is that everytime liberals use the word obstructionist conservatives smile.

Go back to crying like a little baby about how the GOP won't play fair.


Why won't the GOP play fair?
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#19 Aug 10 2011 at 10:28 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
zukunftsangst wrote:
Gbaji clearly being the quintessential conservative.

Smiley: dubious

He's got all the talking points down!
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#20varusword75, Posted: Aug 10 2011 at 10:30 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Joph,
#21 Aug 10 2011 at 10:30 AM Rating: Excellent
******
43,849 posts
We know he's right because he keeps telling us he's right.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#22varusword75, Posted: Aug 10 2011 at 10:32 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Elinda,
#23 Aug 10 2011 at 10:34 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
varusword75 wrote:
What's your point?

My point was that Gbaji is a model conservative. Duh. Try reading.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#24 Aug 10 2011 at 10:37 AM Rating: Excellent
******
43,849 posts
Gumbo Galahad wrote:
Because liberals murder babies.
You're still posting, so they're not doing a good enough job apparently.

Edited, Aug 10th 2011 12:37pm by lolgaxe
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#25 Aug 10 2011 at 10:47 AM Rating: Excellent
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,030 posts
varusword75 wrote:
Elinda,

Quote:
Why won't the GOP play fair?


Because liberals murder babies. Good enough?


Baby-murdering is allowed under the rules. Why do you evade the question?





Edited, Aug 10th 2011 6:48pm by Elinda
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#26 Aug 10 2011 at 12:00 PM Rating: Good
Sage
****
4,041 posts
The GOP and Tea Party were elected this last cycle to get a job done, Joph. That job is to make sure that nobody else in the government can do their job. Don't you see why anarchy would be better for everyone? It would certainly cut down on the fetal/infant mortality rate, I'm sure. Also, the poor people would die first for sure, and that'll just open up more jobs for deserving white males.
#27 Aug 10 2011 at 12:11 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Guenny wrote:
It would certainly cut down on the fetal/infant mortality rate, I'm sure. Also, the poor people would die first for sure

Poor people are always pregnant* so there would be a 1:1 ratio of poor people deaths:fetus mortality.


*Yes, even poor males...
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#28 Aug 10 2011 at 12:48 PM Rating: Good
Sage
****
4,041 posts
Win/win/win. Liberals at least won't be the ones killing babies, the conservatives can finally hold that badge of honor.
#29varusword75, Posted: Aug 10 2011 at 1:38 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Guenny,
#30 Aug 10 2011 at 1:42 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
varusword75 wrote:
Try writing something worth reading and I'll consider it. Let me know when you think you've come up with something.

But if you don't read, how will you know??

I FOUND THE FLAW IN YOUR PLAN, GOOD SIR!
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#31 Aug 10 2011 at 1:56 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
13,007 posts
This guy. This guy right here. I'd vote for him. **** the false left/right dichotomy.

#32 Aug 10 2011 at 1:59 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
TL;DW
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#33 Aug 10 2011 at 2:00 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
13,007 posts
Jophiel wrote:
TL;DW
Your loss, you lefty shill, you.
#34varusword75, Posted: Aug 10 2011 at 2:05 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Jophed,
#35 Aug 10 2011 at 2:07 PM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
11,968 posts
AshOnMyTomatoes wrote:
This guy. This guy right here. I'd vote for him. @#%^ the false left/right dichotomy.

That clip was too painful to watch. Each person they brought in tried to interrupt and one-up each other. I don't watch talking head panels for this exact reason. Let me know if there was anything important said after about the 4 minute mark.
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#36 Aug 10 2011 at 2:09 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
13,007 posts
LockeColeMA wrote:
AshOnMyTomatoes wrote:
This guy. This guy right here. I'd vote for him. @#%^ the false left/right dichotomy.

That clip was too painful to watch. Each person they brought in tried to interrupt and one-up each other. I don't watch talking head panels for this exact reason. Let me know if there was anything important said after about the 4 minute mark.

What's important is that each of the panelist talking heads shouted at each other for about 30 seconds, then Ratigan blasted back in and directly challenged the President and Congress to acknowledge that our government is bought, and our bank system is not on our side.
#37 Aug 10 2011 at 4:23 PM Rating: Default
Encyclopedia
******
31,711 posts
I don't think that obstructing a harmful agenda is a bad idea. The whole argument you're making in this thread is about word games. OMG! Being "obstructionist" is bad, right? Well... that sorta depends, doesn't it? I'd have used the word "prevent" instead, but then it's unclear from the quoted bits whether the GOP representative actually used that word, or if someone else said them.

In any case, you've got to really think your own position is weak if this is your current talking point.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#38 Aug 10 2011 at 4:29 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
13,007 posts
I agree with gbaji.
#39 Aug 10 2011 at 4:29 PM Rating: Excellent
Drunken English Bastard
*****
15,263 posts
Didn't you Republicans essentially cause the US to be downgraded by delaying the measures that the Democrats were seeking to put in place, which would have satisfied the conditions set by S&P?
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#40 Aug 10 2011 at 4:30 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
gbaji wrote:
Being "obstructionist" is bad, right?

Using impeachment proceedings to obstruct when you don't even know what you're impeaching for is bad.

But world class job of missing the point, though.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#41 Aug 10 2011 at 4:34 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*****
13,007 posts
Jophiel wrote:
gbaji wrote:
Being "obstructionist" is bad, right?

Using impeachment proceedings to obstruct when you don't even know what you're impeaching for is bad.

But world class job of missing the point, though.

The point gbaji was trying to make was about semantics. While random impeachment attempts are retarded and unconstitutional, calling the Republicans "obstructionist" is pointless. It's yet another useless soundbite that brings nothing to the table.

Seems like more and more, these days, both the conservatives AND liberals of this board are falling into the trap of armchair pundit finger-pointing.
#42 Aug 10 2011 at 4:37 PM Rating: Excellent
******
43,849 posts
AshOnMyTomatoes wrote:
Seems like more and more, these days, both the conservatives AND liberals of this board are falling into the trap of armchair pundit finger-pointing.
Yeah, but one side is a lot more entertaining to egg on.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#43 Aug 10 2011 at 4:41 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
AshOnMyTomatoes wrote:
The point gbaji was trying to make was about semantics.

No, the point he was making was apologetic remarks about how it was really all okay to act like that. And then crying about a word that was actually used to martyr his poor little self.

You'll notice he never once remarked on the "random impeachment attempts" bit because he was too busy crying about the word "obstruct".
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#44 Aug 10 2011 at 4:44 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
13,007 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
AshOnMyTomatoes wrote:
Seems like more and more, these days, both the conservatives AND liberals of this board are falling into the trap of armchair pundit finger-pointing.
Yeah, but one side is a lot more entertaining to egg on.

As much as I loathe hard core right-wingers, the fact remains that we're all in this together. We've fallen hook, line, and sinker for this Left vs. Right ********* when the real enemies are every one of the thieving bastards in charge of this mess. The more we are at each others' throats, the less we notice of the fleecing of the American public.

Abortion? Who gives a ****?

*** marriage? Completely unimportant.

Environmental issues? Important, but not an emergency.

Creationism in schools? God in the pledge? Michelle Obama's latest exploits? It's all a ******* ruse designed to keep us sated, fat, arguing, and stupid.

George Carlin wrote:
It's all ********* folks, and its bad for you.
#45 Aug 10 2011 at 4:48 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*****
13,007 posts
Jophiel wrote:
AshOnMyTomatoes wrote:
The point gbaji was trying to make was about semantics.

No, the point he was making was apologetic remarks about how it was really all okay to act like that. And then crying about a word that was actually used to martyr his poor little self.

You'll notice he never once remarked on the "random impeachment attempts" bit because he was too busy crying about the word "obstruct".

It doesn't matter, Joph. The Democrats do the same sh*t. They're not quite as blatantly insane as the wingers have been lately, but they're all gaming the system. Name the last genuinely important, large-scale thing the Congress or the President have done for us, that didn't end up compromised by corporate interests? Health Care? The Iran/Afghan/Libyan wars? The bank bailouts? Tax cuts for the rich? Tax cuts for corporations? The Patriot Act? No-bid military spending?

They've dropped the ball every time it counted for the common man, because they're not working for the common man.

Edited, Aug 10th 2011 5:52pm by AshOnMyTomatoes
#46 Aug 10 2011 at 4:52 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
31,711 posts
Jophiel wrote:
AshOnMyTomatoes wrote:
The point gbaji was trying to make was about semantics.

No, the point he was making was apologetic remarks about how it was really all okay to act like that. And then crying about a word that was actually used to martyr his poor little self.


Nope. Ash is right. My point is about semantics. You fell all over yourself about the fact that the word "obstruct" was used, making the GOP "obstructionist". ****, it's in the **** thread title you chose to write.

You can make a valid argument against something without flying off the **** handle with the semantically loaded terminology Joph. Try it once maybe.

Quote:
You'll notice he never once remarked on the "random impeachment attempts" bit because he was too busy crying about the word "obstruct".


Yes. Which should be your first clue that my point wasn't about the impeachment statements, but about the semantics of playing on the word "obstruct" to make this not just about one guy responding to some random question from a crowd of people, but some kind of indictment of the entire GOP and their actions/agenda as a whole.


Tell you what? When someone in the GOP actually puts down legislation proposing impeachment of the president *then* we can discuss the purpose, reason, and possible ulterior motives. I'm far far more concerned with actual political actions, actual legislation being passed, and actual executive decisions being made than one representatives response to one person at one town hall meeting (or whatever it was). And no amount of you playing word games makes me put any more weight on this than that (ie: close to zero).

Edited, Aug 10th 2011 3:53pm by gbaji
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#47 Aug 10 2011 at 4:52 PM Rating: Excellent
******
43,849 posts
One is a party of idiots and the other is a party of morons. Said it before.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#48 Aug 10 2011 at 4:57 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
AshOnMyTomatoes wrote:
They're not quite as blatantly insane as the wingers have been lately, but they're all gaming the system.

Yes, you saw a video. Gratz.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#49 Aug 10 2011 at 4:59 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
gbaji wrote:
Nope. Ash is right. My point is about semantics. You fell all over yourself about the fact that the word "obstruct" was used, making the GOP "obstructionist". ****, it's in the **** thread title you chose to write.

You can make a valid argument against something without flying off the **** handle with the semantically loaded terminology Joph. Try it once maybe.

You're crying this hard about a word used in the very story?

Anything to avoid admitting that this (Republican) guy is fucking retarded, I guess.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#50 Aug 10 2011 at 4:59 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*****
13,007 posts
Jophiel wrote:
AshOnMyTomatoes wrote:
They're not quite as blatantly insane as the wingers have been lately, but they're all gaming the system.

Yes, you saw a video. Gratz.

So you did watch it? Smiley: grin

The point stands. What's the point of continuing to argue about this, while the country falls apart around us? Why not start taking to task the actual problems?
#51 Aug 10 2011 at 5:00 PM Rating: Good
******
43,849 posts
AshOnMyTomatoes wrote:
What's the point of continuing to argue about this,
Post count.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
« Previous 1 2 3
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 40 All times are in CDT
Bijou, Anonymous Guests (39)