Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Political Leanings QuizFollow

#52 May 05 2011 at 9:31 AM Rating: Good
We Does Not Hugglez
*****
10,245 posts
Uglysasquatch wrote:
Who the @#%^ wants orange as a colour?

Orange is my favourite colour and I wear it quite frequently. I have had shoes custom made in orange just to match my shirts.

My excuse is that I've been a San Francisco Giants fan since before I was conceived.
____________________________
I had a very witty signature once, but apparently it offended the sensibilities of some of the frailer constitutions that frequent this particular internet message board.

[The rest of this message has been censored and I can't tell you what I actually think of you]
#53 May 05 2011 at 9:49 AM Rating: Good
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,614 posts
I think the important part there is that you have an excuse. You realize that its not normal.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#54 May 05 2011 at 10:00 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
14,829 posts
There are a lot of 'u's being wasted in this thread.

Orange and purple is a good combo.
____________________________
LOOK here.
#55 May 05 2011 at 10:03 AM Rating: Good
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,614 posts
Well, its bold. I'm not so sure about good though.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#56 May 05 2011 at 10:28 AM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
11,916 posts
Uglysasquatch wrote:
Who the @#%^ wants orange as a colour?

UF's colors are orange and blue. Pretty silly until they crush their competition... well, now it's just pretty silly Smiley: tongue
____________________________
Volunteer News Writer for the ZAM Network.
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#57 May 05 2011 at 10:39 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
27,063 posts
Uglysasquatch wrote:
Well, its bold. I'm not so sure about good though.
Also, it looks silly on gingers.
____________________________
Someone on another forum wrote:
Wow, you've got an awesome writing style.! I really dig the narrator's back story, humor, sarcasm, and the plethora of pop culture references. Altogether a refreshingly different RotR journal (not that I don't like the more traditional ones, mind you).

#58 May 05 2011 at 10:49 AM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,733 posts
For everyone with their panties in a bunch over the quiz being too short with too few options, try this one instead:

http://www.politicalcompass.org/test
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
Stylish plugin for Firefox | ZAM/Allakhazam Widescreen/ad-free Stylish theme
#59 May 05 2011 at 11:05 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
bsphil wrote:
For everyone with their panties in a bunch over the quiz being too short with too few options, try this one instead:

Taking that, you see the opposite issue: the "mushy middle" syndrome where everything is "agree" or "disagree" and very few questions receive a strong vote.

Anyway:
Economic Left/Right: -3.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.44

Down near Gandhi, as always.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#60 May 05 2011 at 11:07 AM Rating: Good
We Does Not Hugglez
*****
10,245 posts
bsphil wrote:
For everyone with their panties in a bunch over the quiz being too short with too few options, try this one instead:

http://www.politicalcompass.org/test

Libertarian Right in that one.

EDIT: Economic Left/Right: 5.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.95

There are no examples of historical figures in my quadrant.

Edited, May 5th 2011 12:08pm by MoebiusLord
____________________________
I had a very witty signature once, but apparently it offended the sensibilities of some of the frailer constitutions that frequent this particular internet message board.

[The rest of this message has been censored and I can't tell you what I actually think of you]
#61 May 05 2011 at 11:14 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,772 posts

Solid Liberal, which isn't a surprise, when I claim to be a radical liberal back in the 70's.
____________________________
This Post is written in Elnese, If it was an actual Post, it would make sense.

"England needs, examples of people who, leaving Heaven to decide whether they are to rise in the world, decide for themselves that they will be happy in it, and have resolved to seek, not greater wealth, but simpler pleasures; not higher fortune, but deeper felicity; making the first of possessions self-possession, and honouring themselves in the harmless pride and calm pursuits of peace." - John Ruskin
#62 May 05 2011 at 11:25 AM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
11,916 posts
Jophiel wrote:
bsphil wrote:
For everyone with their panties in a bunch over the quiz being too short with too few options, try this one instead:

Taking that, you see the opposite issue: the "mushy middle" syndrome where everything is "agree" or "disagree" and very few questions receive a strong vote.

Anyway:
Economic Left/Right: -3.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.44

Down near Gandhi, as always.


Economic Left/Right: -3.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.10

Honestly surprised I'm not more social libertarian. Probably because I said "People who can work, should," and "there are equal rights between blacks and whites." If they question had been "There is no more racism" or "race does not play a part in job opportunities and social status," then I would have had a different answer. Oh well Smiley: tongue
____________________________
Volunteer News Writer for the ZAM Network.
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#63 May 05 2011 at 11:31 AM Rating: Good
Drunken English Bastard
*****
15,246 posts
Economic Left/Right: -4.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#64 May 05 2011 at 11:48 AM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
Economic Left/Right: -1.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.64

About what I expected, I guess. Maybe I'd put myself in the -4's for social stuff.

I skew more towards the liberal side on social policy and civil liberties. In most other matters, my leftward lean is still noticeable, but a bit slighter.

Edited, May 5th 2011 1:49pm by Eske
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#65 May 05 2011 at 11:52 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
14,829 posts
Economic Left/Right: -3.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.87

My political compass points me in nearly the same direction as Gandhi's did:)




Edited, May 5th 2011 7:52pm by Elinda
____________________________
LOOK here.
#66 May 05 2011 at 11:52 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Jophiel wrote:
Economic Left/Right: -3.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.44

In 2006, I wrote:
Economic Left/Right: -3.75 (Leftist)
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.82 (Libertarian)

I've grown more extreme in my Libertarianism!
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#67 May 05 2011 at 12:25 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
50 posts
I'm the kind of person that gives varus nightmares in his sleep.


Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.46
____________________________
"Cogito Ergo Sum" - Rene Descartes
#68 May 05 2011 at 12:31 PM Rating: Good
Drunken English Bastard
*****
15,246 posts
kiworrior wrote:
I'm the kind of person that gives varus nightmares in his sleep.


Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.46
Bastard you stole my thunder.
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#69 May 05 2011 at 12:31 PM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
11,916 posts
kiworrior wrote:
I'm the kind of person that gives varus nightmares in his sleep.

His gay lover who happened to find this site and ID him?
____________________________
Volunteer News Writer for the ZAM Network.
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#70 May 05 2011 at 12:33 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
50 posts
LockeColeMA wrote:
kiworrior wrote:
I'm the kind of person that gives varus nightmares in his sleep.

His gay lover who happened to find this site and ID him?

I wish I could rate you up, because that made me actually laugh out loud.
____________________________
"Cogito Ergo Sum" - Rene Descartes
#71 May 05 2011 at 1:12 PM Rating: Excellent
Economic Left/Right: -2.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.69
____________________________
01001001 00100000 01001100 01001001 01001011 01000101 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001011 01000101
You'll always be stupid, you'll just be stupid with more information in your brain
Forum FAQ
#72 May 05 2011 at 1:18 PM Rating: Good
Muggle@#%^er
Avatar
*****
19,350 posts
Quote:
Solid Liberals
14% OF THE PUBLIC

What They Believe
Strongly pro-government and very liberal on a broad range of issues
Very supportive of regulation, environmental protection and government assistance to the poor
One of the most secular groups; 59% say that religion is not that important to them
Supportive of the country's growing racial and ethnic diversity
Two-thirds disagree with the Tea Party
Who They Are
Highly politically engaged
75% are Democrats
Concentrated in the Northeast and West
57% are female
Best educated of the groups: 49% hold at least a bachelor's degree and 27% have post-graduate experience
A third regularly listen to NPR, about two-in-ten regularly watch The Daily Show and read The New York Times
59% have a passport
42% regularly buy organic foods
21% are first or second generation Americans


Yeah... I think the quiz worked for me.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#73 May 05 2011 at 1:18 PM Rating: Good
Cervixhouse-Five
******
30,625 posts
Economic Left/Right: -4.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.64
____________________________
Kurt Vonnegut (1922-2007) wrote:
I am eternally grateful.. for my knack of finding in great books, some of them very funny books, reason enough to feel honored to be alive, no matter what else might be going on.
#74 May 05 2011 at 1:31 PM Rating: Good
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,614 posts
Economic Left/Right: -0.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.67

Awful lot of questions on there about those queers. Kinda of skewed this a little, but not that far off for me. Time for me to accept facts though, I'm only conservative by non-American standards.

Edited, May 5th 2011 4:35pm by Uglysasquatch
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#75 May 05 2011 at 1:55 PM Rating: Good
Muggle@#%^er
Avatar
*****
19,350 posts
Economic Left/Right: -9.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.13

I think I'm a little too far down the 7 axis for what I would actually be, but this seems about right.

[EDIT]
And I'm not sure I'm actually THAT communist. I mean, I'm definitely not a capitalist, but this seems excessive. And I would have said I'm around a 5 or a 6 on the libertarian scale.

Edited, May 5th 2011 4:00pm by idiggory
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#76 May 05 2011 at 2:02 PM Rating: Excellent
******
41,289 posts
re: the second survey

Somehow being that close to Gandhi's spot on the graph makes me uncomfortable. I firmly believe in solutions that involve bullets and sandwiches.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#77 May 05 2011 at 2:40 PM Rating: Good
Muggle@#%^er
Avatar
*****
19,350 posts
Quote:
Somehow being that close to Gandhi's spot on the graph makes me uncomfortable. I firmly believe in solutions that involve bullets and sandwiches.


Keep telling yourself that.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#78 May 05 2011 at 2:42 PM Rating: Excellent
****
6,470 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
I firmly believe in solutions that involve bullets and sandwiches.


Bullets for Sandwiches?

Bam, we just solved both small arms proliferation and hunger at the same time. Go team!
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#79 May 05 2011 at 2:43 PM Rating: Good
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,614 posts
idiggory wrote:
And I would have said I'm around a 5 or a 6 on the libertarian scale.
I don't think you're understanding the Libertarian/Authoritarian scale.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#80 May 05 2011 at 2:48 PM Rating: Good
Muggle@#%^er
Avatar
*****
19,350 posts
I don't get what you mean? Right now it had me at a -7 towards libertarianism. I don't think a true democracy or anarchy would work, and am all for Republics. But I'm heavily against military solutions to problems wherever diplomacy is a possibility.

A -5 on that scale feels better suited to how I actually feel. Maybe not, but it's what I would have given myself without the quiz.

[EDIT]

Were you just referring to my lack of a negative sign? If so, then you are right--I shouldn't have omitted it.

Edited, May 5th 2011 4:48pm by idiggory
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#81 May 05 2011 at 2:54 PM Rating: Default
Encyclopedia
******
30,870 posts
bsphil wrote:
For everyone with their panties in a bunch over the quiz being too short with too few options, try this one instead:

http://www.politicalcompass.org/test


I have the same problems with that quiz (which I think I stated the last couple times someone linked it). It makes assumptions which I simply disagree with. For example, the very first question:

"If economic globalisation is inevitable, it should primarily serve humanity rather than the interests of trans-national corporations."

I don't agree that the interests of trans-national corporations and the goal of "serving humanity" are exclusive. In fact, I happen to believe that they are in alignment. So what do I say? I strongly disagree with the question, so do I put that?

Here's another one:

"Controlling inflation is more important than controlling unemployment."

I'm inclined to strongly disagree because I don't think that either is more important than the other. They are both important in different ways. But I'm betting that the question is really asking which I think is more important, with the disagree side meaning unemployment is more important, and the agree side meaning inflation is more important. They can't get anything useful out of me on this question, because I'll strongly disagree regardless of which direction you ordered the two elements. I'm certain, their quiz doesn't consider that though.


And another:

"It is regrettable that many personal fortunes are made by people who simply manipulate money and contribute nothing to their society."

I disagree with the assumption that simply manipulating money doesn't contribute to society. So do I disagree since the question is BS? Are they measuring the degree to which I'm in favor of the free market? Or the degree to which I don't like things that don't contribute to society? Hmmmm...

And another:

"Those with the ability to pay should have the right to higher standards of medical care ."

I don't agree that there's a right involved there at all. So do I agree because I think that being able to pay for more of something should allow you to buy more of that something? Or should I disagree because having more money doesn't give you more rights than anyone else? It's a quandary! I know what the question is actually trying to ask, but it doesn't ask that question. What to do? What to do? I'll be ornery and strongly disagree just to screw with the test I guess.


It's just as full of bad assumptions as the other. Just longer, so the bad ones potentially can get weeded out in the result I suppose. And as expected the results aren't surprising:

Economic Left/Right: 4.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.46


____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#82 May 05 2011 at 2:58 PM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
11,916 posts
Quote:
"Controlling inflation is more important than controlling unemployment."

-Snip- But I'm betting that the question is really asking which I think is more important,

No... really? Smiley: rolleyes
____________________________
Volunteer News Writer for the ZAM Network.
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#83 May 05 2011 at 3:01 PM Rating: Good
The Duck Whisperer
*****
15,511 posts
gbaji wrote:
Economic Left/Right: 4.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.46


They must have asked a lot of questions about drug legalization because that's the only view I can really think of gbaji espousing that would be socially libertarian.

Okay. Maybe seat belt laws.

Edited, May 5th 2011 4:10pm by Sweetums
____________________________
Iamadam the Prophet wrote:

You know that feeling you get when you have a little bit of hope, only to have it ripped away? Sweetums feeds on that.
#84 May 05 2011 at 3:09 PM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
gbaji wrote:
For example, the very first question:

"If economic globalisation is inevitable, it should primarily serve humanity rather than the interests of trans-national corporations."


I agree with you to an extent. If we're to understand that each question is between the poles of "liberal" and "conservative", then there's a bit of a suggestion of conservatives as being sinister and evil. I doubt that many conservatives would say that their policies run counter to "humanity."

Though I don't see why that insinuation would prevent you from answering the question. Even if you think that the interests of humanity and corporations are aligned, I think even you would say that the interests of humanity are more important. Just because that'd be the end game to you; serving the interests of corporations is the means to that end.
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#85 May 05 2011 at 3:13 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
gbaji wrote:
It's just as full of bad assumptions as the other. Just longer, so the bad ones potentially can get weeded out in the result I suppose. And as expected the results aren't surprising

So that's two quizzes now that were absolutely horribly written and complete garbage. And, according to you, accurate in their results.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#86 May 05 2011 at 3:22 PM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
Jophiel wrote:
gbaji wrote:
It's just as full of bad assumptions as the other. Just longer, so the bad ones potentially can get weeded out in the result I suppose. And as expected the results aren't surprising

So that's two quizzes now that were absolutely horribly written and complete garbage. And, according to you, accurate in their results.


He's clearly rubbed the wrong way a little by the phrasing in 'em. As I mentioned, I'll acknowledge that some of the questions sound a bit partial.
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#87 May 05 2011 at 3:30 PM Rating: Good
Quote:
Based on your responses, YOU are a… New Coalition Democrat

Along with 10% of the public
That just sounds weird.

Quote:
Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -2.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.92


Edited, May 5th 2011 5:41pm by Lubriderm
____________________________
Edited, Mar 21st 2011 2:14pm by Darqflame Lock Thread: Because Lubriderm is silly... ~ de geso

Almalieque wrote:
I know what a glory hole is, but I wasn't sure what the business part was in reference to.

My Anime List
#88 May 05 2011 at 3:34 PM Rating: Default
Encyclopedia
******
30,870 posts
Eske Esquire wrote:
gbaji wrote:
For example, the very first question:

"If economic globalisation is inevitable, it should primarily serve humanity rather than the interests of trans-national corporations."


I agree with you to an extent. If we're to understand that each question is between the poles of "liberal" and "conservative", then there's a bit of a suggestion of conservatives as being sinister and evil.


Ya think?

Quote:
I doubt that many conservatives would say that their policies run counter to "humanity."


There are other issues with that particular quiz as well, specifically with their labeling of the poles they're using. It just seems designed from start to finish to make liberals look good and conservative look bad. The idea that any liberal can score negatively on the "authoritarian/libertarian" scale should be the first hint that something is horribly wrong. They're not really measuring the degree to which society/government forces social outcomes (social authoritarianism). They're measuring the degree to which you agree or disagree with a specific set of social agenda issues and labeling the ones the left are most connected with (anti-religion, pro-minority, etc) as "libertarian". Which frankly just completely misuses the terms. The reason my score on that pole is very close to Joph's is because I probably answered the religious questions more "correctly" (for a liberal) than he did.

Quote:
Though I don't see why that insinuation would prevent you from answering the question. Even if you think that the interests of humanity and corporations are aligned, I think even you would say that the interests of humanity are more important. Just because that'd be the end game to you; serving the interests of corporations is the means to that end.


Not at all. Because I believe that the interests of humanity are best served by large corporations doing their thing with a minimum of government interference. The second we decide that the interests of humanity are "more important" than those of large corporations, we open the door to what the question is really asking: Should we restrict the actions (or tax the hell out of) of big business in order to incorporate government run social programs to benefit humanity.

We all know that's what they're really asking. And the quiz places people on the left/right axis based on the answer you give. Disagree points you to the right, agree points you to the left. It's not like this sort of quiz is rocket science here. The left/right is measuring free versus controlled markets.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#89 May 05 2011 at 3:35 PM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,733 posts
gbaji wrote:
"If economic globalisation is inevitable, it should primarily serve humanity rather than the interests of trans-national corporations."

I don't agree that the interests of trans-national corporations and the goal of "serving humanity" are exclusive. In fact, I happen to believe that they are in alignment. So what do I say? I strongly disagree with the question, so do I put that?
You strongly disagree with the statement, so... why exactly are you asking how you should answer?

Well sh*t if you can't figure out that you should check "strongly disagree" with the statements you strongly disagree with, I'm not sure how you manage to dress yourself in the morning.



Edited, May 5th 2011 4:37pm by bsphil
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
Stylish plugin for Firefox | ZAM/Allakhazam Widescreen/ad-free Stylish theme
#90 May 05 2011 at 3:37 PM Rating: Default
Encyclopedia
******
30,870 posts
Jophiel wrote:
gbaji wrote:
It's just as full of bad assumptions as the other. Just longer, so the bad ones potentially can get weeded out in the result I suppose. And as expected the results aren't surprising

So that's two quizzes now that were absolutely horribly written and complete garbage. And, according to you, accurate in their results.


I don't agree with their accuracy. To be fair, the first puts people in such broad categories that it's hard not to be relatively accurate. I don't associate myself as a libertarian though. But then I don't associate myself too much with any of the categories they listed either.

The second one is just... wrong.

All liberals should end out toward the authoritarian side of the social scale, if it was actually measuring the degree to which society is free/controlled. But that's not what they're measuring at all.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#91 May 05 2011 at 3:39 PM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,733 posts
gbaji wrote:
All liberals should end out toward the authoritarian side of the social scale, if it was actually measuring the degree to which society is free/controlled. But that's not what they're measuring at all.
Either that or you're fundamentally wrong with your assumptions of other people's political views.

But yeah, probably just every quiz, not you. lol
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
Stylish plugin for Firefox | ZAM/Allakhazam Widescreen/ad-free Stylish theme
#92 May 05 2011 at 3:44 PM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
gbaji wrote:
Eske Esquire wrote:
gbaji wrote:
For example, the very first question:

"If economic globalisation is inevitable, it should primarily serve humanity rather than the interests of trans-national corporations."


I agree with you to an extent. If we're to understand that each question is between the poles of "liberal" and "conservative", then there's a bit of a suggestion of conservatives as being sinister and evil.


Ya think?

Quote:
I doubt that many conservatives would say that their policies run counter to "humanity."


There are other issues with that particular quiz as well, specifically with their labeling of the poles they're using. It just seems designed from start to finish to make liberals look good and conservative look bad. The idea that any liberal can score negatively on the "authoritarian/libertarian" scale should be the first hint that something is horribly wrong. They're not really measuring the degree to which society/government forces social outcomes (social authoritarianism). They're measuring the degree to which you agree or disagree with a specific set of social agenda issues and labeling the ones the left are most connected with (anti-religion, pro-minority, etc) as "libertarian". Which frankly just completely misuses the terms. The reason my score on that pole is very close to Joph's is because I probably answered the religious questions more "correctly" (for a liberal) than he did.

Quote:
Though I don't see why that insinuation would prevent you from answering the question. Even if you think that the interests of humanity and corporations are aligned, I think even you would say that the interests of humanity are more important. Just because that'd be the end game to you; serving the interests of corporations is the means to that end.


Not at all. Because I believe that the interests of humanity are best served by large corporations doing their thing with a minimum of government interference. The second we decide that the interests of humanity are "more important" than those of large corporations, we open the door to what the question is really asking: Should we restrict the actions (or tax the hell out of) of big business in order to incorporate government run social programs to benefit humanity.

We all know that's what they're really asking. And the quiz places people on the left/right axis based on the answer you give. Disagree points you to the right, agree points you to the left. It's not like this sort of quiz is rocket science here. The left/right is measuring free versus controlled markets.


Aye, fair enough. What I meant was answering the question as it was literally asked, dismissing the machinations. Though I suppose if you already can tell how they'll skew your results to be less accurate, then there's not much point in doing so.

I don't see why you'd say that liberals can't be libertarian, though*. I think you're dismissing some of the nuance. Most of my "liberal" tendencies come from my civil rights stances. Aren't those some of the core tenets of libertarians?

Like: I don't think that the government should be allowed to indiscriminately wire tap. Isn't that value typically shared between liberals (who tend lately to shy away from terror-related govt. expansion of powers) and libertarians?

*I mean sh*t, they share their first five letters!

Edited, May 5th 2011 5:50pm by Eske
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#93 May 05 2011 at 3:48 PM Rating: Good
Muggle@#%^er
Avatar
*****
19,350 posts
Quote:
All liberals should end out toward the authoritarian side of the social scale, if it was actually measuring the degree to which society is free/controlled.


I lol'd.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#94 May 05 2011 at 3:49 PM Rating: Good
Quote:
I don't see why you'd say that liberals can't be libertarian, though
That's because most 'libertarians' are just republicans who want to pretend they aren't republicans.
____________________________
Edited, Mar 21st 2011 2:14pm by Darqflame Lock Thread: Because Lubriderm is silly... ~ de geso

Almalieque wrote:
I know what a glory hole is, but I wasn't sure what the business part was in reference to.

My Anime List
#95 May 05 2011 at 3:49 PM Rating: Good
The Duck Whisperer
*****
15,511 posts
Lubriderm the Braindead wrote:
Quote:
I don't see why you'd say that liberals can't be libertarian, though
That's because most 'libertarians' are just republicans who smoke weed.
____________________________
Iamadam the Prophet wrote:

You know that feeling you get when you have a little bit of hope, only to have it ripped away? Sweetums feeds on that.
#96 May 05 2011 at 3:51 PM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
Lubriderm the Braindead wrote:
Quote:
I don't see why you'd say that liberals can't be libertarian, though
That's because most 'libertarians' are just republicans who want to pretend they aren't republicans.


Right, right. Smiley: tongue

But I just mean in the context of the quiz.
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#97 May 05 2011 at 3:53 PM Rating: Good
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,614 posts
gbaji wrote:
All liberals should end out toward the authoritarian side of the social scale, if it was actually measuring the degree to which society is free/controlled. But that's not what they're measuring at all.
That's incorrect. My social liberal tendencies are based on the fact that I beleive we should let people do as they want. Its not my responsibility to decide for them what they can or can't do. Social conservatives do want to dictate how others should live their lives.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#98 May 05 2011 at 4:18 PM Rating: Good
Muggle@#%^er
Avatar
*****
19,350 posts
Quote:
That's incorrect. My social liberal tendencies are based on the fact that I beleive we should let people do as they want. Its not my responsibility to decide for them what they can or can't do. Social conservatives do want to dictate how others should live their lives.


Pretty much this. I think organized religion is a vile thing, but I would never support a bill that wished to destroy it.

I would support a bill that wanted to up environmental controls, because ensuring the earth doesn't die is a justified reason for control, imo. It's sure going to be great if the earth is inhospitable in 500 years, but everyone was free to pollute to their heart's content in the meanwhile (/sarcasm).

And economic controls are generally accepted so as to prevent the few (aka, the richest people in charge of corporations) from ruling the lives of the masses. That is to say, we don't like feudalism.

But when it comes down to personal liberties, we are dead set against controlling people unless not doing so would lead to a massive infringement on the rights of others.

For instance, I'm not going to say that people should be free to murder if they so choose. Because acting on that desire automatically violates, to the utmost degree, the personal liberties of another.

But I'm fine with abortion, because I don't consider a fetus a person. And, as such, it doesn't have rights.

And this is somewhat irrelevant, but note that my notion of person-hood isn't restricted to humans. I'm very much against the slaughtering of higher-intelligence creatures for instance, especially those (like dolphins) that are actually self-aware.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#99 May 05 2011 at 4:42 PM Rating: Good
****
7,786 posts
Quote:
Economic Left/Right: 1.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.67

I figured I would be a little more to the Libertarian side. Some guy named Friedman is in my quadrant, though much more severely right than me.
____________________________
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. ~River Tam

Sedao
#100 May 05 2011 at 4:43 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
idiggory wrote:
Quote:
All liberals should end out toward the authoritarian side of the social scale, if it was actually measuring the degree to which society is free/controlled.
I lol'd.

It's fun to see how he's been taught.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#101 May 05 2011 at 4:59 PM Rating: Good
Muggle@#%^er
Avatar
*****
19,350 posts
Quote:
It's fun to see how he's been taught.


And then it's depressing, because corporations != society.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 37 All times are in CDT
Tasera, Anonymous Guests (36)