Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Don't like the verdict? Why not impeach the judges?Follow

#1 Apr 26 2011 at 6:58 AM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
11,974 posts
It's fun to peruse Fox News once in a while, or I'd miss gems like this story:
Quote:
Iowa GOP Divided Over Push to Impeach Judges in Same-*** Marriage Case
Iowa Republicans are at odds over a new campaign to oust the four remaining state Supreme Court justices who two years ago decided in favor of same-*** marriage.

State voters kicked three of the seven justices who ruled on that case out of office in November, when they came up for retention votes. Most of the remaining four won't face a verdict from voters until the end of 2016 -- but some Iowa conservatives do not want to wait that long.

Looking for early retribution, five state House Republicans last week introduced four separate resolutions, each calling for the impeachment of one of the remaining judges. Republican leaders in the Legislature have dismissed the move, saying impeachment is not the proper recourse and predicting the effort will fail. But the authors are not giving up.

The resolutions accuse the sitting judges of "malfeasance in office." They claim the judges "improperly assumed" the role of legislators, and "knowingly and intentionally usurped the proper function" of the Legislature. The resolutions claim their ruling created a "constitutional crisis" in Iowa by allowing different interpretations of the definition of marriage.


No social agenda there!
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#2 Apr 26 2011 at 7:02 AM Rating: Good
******
27,272 posts
Because gays are scary. Smiley: oyvey
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#3 Apr 26 2011 at 7:10 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,069 posts
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Because gays are scary. Smiley: oyvey


Considering that every country that has ever legalized *** marriage was destroyed by go...what? That didn't happen?
____________________________
http://www.marriageissogay.com/

Song of the day:
May 26, 2011 -- Transplants
#4 Apr 26 2011 at 7:24 AM Rating: Decent
We Does Not Hugglez
*****
10,245 posts
LockeColeMA wrote:
No social agenda there!

You puzzle me, occasionally. There are moments you present as lucid and at least trying to function on above the level of a 2 foot simian. Then there are moments where you toss out little gems like that.

Legislators are supposed to have a social agenda. They get voted in or out of office based on their social agenda promises and their adherence to those promises once in office. Someone should sign you up for the Jay Walk All-stars.
____________________________
I had a very witty signature once, but apparently it offended the sensibilities of some of the frailer constitutions that frequent this particular internet message board.

[The rest of this message has been censored and I can't tell you what I actually think of you]
#5 Apr 26 2011 at 7:35 AM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
11,974 posts
MoebiusLord wrote:
Legislators are supposed to have a social agenda. They get voted in or out of office based on their social agenda promises and their adherence to those promises once in office.

You're quite right. What I should have said was more along the lines of "Hey, supporting the Constitution is great. Let's toss out checks and balances and put forward frivolous legislation that will fail and just waste time. That's what we promised, right?"

Edit: As the article stated, it seems likely that come 2012, the judicial balance would shift back to a conservative majority. The legislature should simply wait until then, as opposed to trying for impeachment because they disagree with a ruling. Why even have separate branches of government then?
Quote:
"The idea is to uphold the integrity of the Constitution and this is our opportunity to do that"

They're not doing this to be against *** marriage - they're throwing out the judiciary for the sake of the Constitution. Smiley: nod

Edited, Apr 26th 2011 9:42am by LockeColeMA
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#6 Apr 26 2011 at 7:36 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,065 posts
MoebiusLord wrote:


Legislators are supposed to have a social agenda.
They want to replace the ghey judges with judges with big boobies.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#7 Apr 26 2011 at 7:38 AM Rating: Excellent
****
6,470 posts
MoebiusLord wrote:
LockeColeMA wrote:
No social agenda there!

You puzzle me, occasionally. There are moments you present as lucid and at least trying to function on above the level of a 2 foot simian. Then there are moments where you toss out little gems like that.

Legislators are supposed to have a social agenda. They get voted in or out of office based on their social agenda promises and their adherence to those promises once in office. Someone should sign you up for the Jay Walk All-stars.


But they're talking impeachment, no? Isn't that a bit above-and-beyond the call of duty here?
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#8 Apr 26 2011 at 7:38 AM Rating: Excellent
*****
15,803 posts
Elinda wrote:
MoebiusLord wrote:


Legislators are supposed to have a social agenda.
They want to replace the ghey judges with judges with big boobies.


Not helping the crime problem!
____________________________
"I have lost my way
But I hear a tale
About a heaven in Alberta
Where they've got all **** for a basement"

#9 Apr 26 2011 at 7:50 AM Rating: Excellent
We Does Not Hugglez
*****
10,245 posts
Don't get me wrong, I think they're out of their ever loving minds. "Conservatives" who push a social agenda are no better than liberals who do the same. To me both agendas are an affront to the ideals on which this country was founded, and to the practices that are supposed to set us apart from the rest of the world.

I just enjoy giving people sh:t when they forget where their brains are on Tuesday morning.
____________________________
I had a very witty signature once, but apparently it offended the sensibilities of some of the frailer constitutions that frequent this particular internet message board.

[The rest of this message has been censored and I can't tell you what I actually think of you]
#10 Apr 26 2011 at 7:53 AM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
11,974 posts
MoebiusLord wrote:

I just enjoy giving people sh:t when they forget where their brains are on Tuesday morning.


I blame the rum from last night Smiley: glare
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#11varusword75, Posted: Apr 26 2011 at 7:58 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) eske,
#12 Apr 26 2011 at 8:03 AM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
11,974 posts
varusword75 wrote:
eske,

Quote:
But they're talking impeachment, no? Isn't that a bit above-and-beyond the call of duty here?


Funny you libs don't seem to feel this way when the shoes on the other foot. I seem to remember something going on in Wisc recently.


The legislature didn't like a judicial ruling and impeached the judges? Funny, don't remember that.
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#13 Apr 26 2011 at 8:04 AM Rating: Good
***
2,069 posts
varusword75 wrote:
eske,

Quote:
But they're talking impeachment, no? Isn't that a bit above-and-beyond the call of duty here?


Funny you libs don't seem to feel this way when the shoes on the other foot. I seem to remember something going on in Wisc recently.


F*ck the democrats/liberals. We're not on the same side. The sooner every conservative realizes this the sooner we can get the people in there to fix the mess the dems have created.


At least some (if not all ) of the dems in wisc are getting recalled. They neglected their jobs and should be recalled.
____________________________
http://www.marriageissogay.com/

Song of the day:
May 26, 2011 -- Transplants
#14 Apr 26 2011 at 8:10 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
MoebiusLord wrote:
Legislators are supposed to have a social agenda.

Judges aren't though so threatening to impeach them for not having your social agenda seems a bit coercive.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#15 Apr 26 2011 at 8:11 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Ailitardif, Star Breaker wrote:
At least some (if not all ) of the dems in wisc are getting recalled.

Nowhere near all. Three of them have had recall petitions filed against them (and four Republicans). There's still a window of time to file more but it's rapidly closing.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#16 Apr 26 2011 at 8:15 AM Rating: Good
***
2,069 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Ailitardif, Star Breaker wrote:
At least some (if not all ) of the dems in wisc are getting recalled.

Nowhere near all. Three of them have had recall petitions filed against them (and four Republicans). There's still a window of time to file more but it's rapidly closing.


It is up to the people to do recalls though, right? The ones not getting recalled still have support of the people so far.
____________________________
http://www.marriageissogay.com/

Song of the day:
May 26, 2011 -- Transplants
#17 Apr 26 2011 at 8:22 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Heck, even the ones getting recalled might. The threshold for a recall petition is 15% of the registered voters in the district. But they can still win the recall election by getting 50%+ of the votes.

I was mainly noting that not all the eligible WI state senators from either side are being recalled.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#18 Apr 26 2011 at 8:27 AM Rating: Decent
We Does Not Hugglez
*****
10,245 posts
Jophiel wrote:
MoebiusLord wrote:
Legislators are supposed to have a social agenda.

Judges aren't though so threatening to impeach them for not having your social agenda seems a bit coercive.

How prescient I am that I can respond to you before you even approach the keyboard.
Moebiuslord wrote:
"Conservatives" who push a social agenda are no better than liberals who do the same.
____________________________
I had a very witty signature once, but apparently it offended the sensibilities of some of the frailer constitutions that frequent this particular internet message board.

[The rest of this message has been censored and I can't tell you what I actually think of you]
#19 Apr 26 2011 at 8:28 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
MoebiusLord wrote:
How prescient I am that I can respond to you before you even approach the keyboard.

That just means you know I'm right and try to be more like me. A worthy endeavor.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#20 Apr 26 2011 at 8:31 AM Rating: Good
***
2,069 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Heck, even the ones getting recalled might. The threshold for a recall petition is 15% of the registered voters in the district. But they can still win the recall election by getting 50%+ of the votes.

I was mainly noting that not all the eligible WI state senators from either side are being recalled.


I get what you are saying, I was mainly responding to varus' poor comparison two unrelated events and how the one he brought up as an example that the dems aren't getting punished for their actions when they clearly are.
____________________________
http://www.marriageissogay.com/

Song of the day:
May 26, 2011 -- Transplants
#21 Apr 26 2011 at 8:42 AM Rating: Excellent
We Does Not Hugglez
*****
10,245 posts
Jophiel wrote:
MoebiusLord wrote:
How prescient I am that I can respond to you before you even approach the keyboard.

That just means you know I'm right and try to be more like me. A worthy endeavor.

PROTIP: Babies make you more stupider.
____________________________
I had a very witty signature once, but apparently it offended the sensibilities of some of the frailer constitutions that frequent this particular internet message board.

[The rest of this message has been censored and I can't tell you what I actually think of you]
#22 Apr 26 2011 at 9:12 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Man, and you weren't any genius before you had the baby, either :(
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#23 Apr 26 2011 at 9:30 AM Rating: Good
We Does Not Hugglez
*****
10,245 posts
Mine's older than yours. The effect is lessened.
____________________________
I had a very witty signature once, but apparently it offended the sensibilities of some of the frailer constitutions that frequent this particular internet message board.

[The rest of this message has been censored and I can't tell you what I actually think of you]
#24 Apr 26 2011 at 10:51 AM Rating: Default
*
151 posts
Marriage is overrated.
:)

Edited, Apr 26th 2011 1:08pm by SgtFrog
#25 Apr 26 2011 at 10:57 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
11,289 posts
The One and Only SgtFrog wrote:
Marriage is over reated.
:)


Apparently so are school educations.

Edit: Grammar fix

Edited, Apr 26th 2011 1:14pm by Shaowstrike
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#26 Apr 26 2011 at 11:07 AM Rating: Decent
*
151 posts
Shaowstrike the Shady wrote:
The One and Only SgtFrog wrote:
Marriage is over reated.
:)


Apparently so is school educations.


Bloody phone :(
#27 Apr 26 2011 at 11:13 AM Rating: Good
***
2,069 posts
The One and Only SgtFrog wrote:
Shaowstrike the Shady wrote:
The One and Only SgtFrog wrote:
Marriage is over reated.
:)


Apparently so is school educations.


Bloody phone :(


Haha, grats on yor first star
____________________________
http://www.marriageissogay.com/

Song of the day:
May 26, 2011 -- Transplants
#28 Apr 26 2011 at 1:21 PM Rating: Good
We Does Not Hugglez
*****
10,245 posts
The One and Only SgtFrog wrote:
Shaowstrike the Shady wrote:
The One and Only SgtFrog wrote:
Marriage is over reated.
:)


Apparently so is school educations.


Bloody phone :(

Bob hates insipid new people.
____________________________
I had a very witty signature once, but apparently it offended the sensibilities of some of the frailer constitutions that frequent this particular internet message board.

[The rest of this message has been censored and I can't tell you what I actually think of you]
#29 Apr 26 2011 at 1:34 PM Rating: Default
*
151 posts
Ailitardif, Star Breaker wrote:
The One and Only SgtFrog wrote:
Shaowstrike the Shady wrote:
The One and Only SgtFrog wrote:
Marriage is over reated.
:)


Apparently so is school educations.


Bloody phone :(


Haha, grats on yor first star


lol :)

MoebiusLord wrote:
The One and Only SgtFrog wrote:
Shaowstrike the Shady wrote:
The One and Only SgtFrog wrote:
Marriage is over reated.
:)


Apparently so is school educations.


Bloody phone :(

Bob hates insipid new people.

and bob who?
#30 Apr 26 2011 at 1:35 PM Rating: Excellent
We Does Not Hugglez
*****
10,245 posts
Bob, sh:twit.
____________________________
I had a very witty signature once, but apparently it offended the sensibilities of some of the frailer constitutions that frequent this particular internet message board.

[The rest of this message has been censored and I can't tell you what I actually think of you]
#31 Apr 26 2011 at 3:19 PM Rating: Good
Sage
****
4,041 posts
Yeah, there's been a significant amount of butthurt going around still, but not enough to really do anything. There was a big hubbub soon after Branstad took office, because the house tried to put up a bill called "The preservation of the morality of marriage act" (or something equally discriminatory) that would, of course, make same *** marriages illegal by amendment, and Branstad said if it reached his desk, he would sign it immediately. There was a pretty huge outcry against this bill, and it was shot down before it even was around for a couple of days.

I hate Iowa but I feel pretty lucky to live in a state where we do allow same-*** marriage. I'm a little fearful because for some reason we re-elected the stereotypically conservative people-pleaser Branstad, and he seems willing to undo any social progress we've had in the state over the past decade. Our only saving grace has been the democratic Senate - otherwise, *** marriage would have already been banned again, along with abortion. There's already been formal outcry from him specifically because one doctor from Omaha moved his practice across state lines because of our slightly more lax abortion laws. I dunno. The conservatives make a lot of talk and hoopla, but let's face it, they really haven't gotten **** done. They spent at least 3 weeks debating whether or not they should ban "K2", a synthetic marijuana substitute, because some teenage committed suicide after smoking it, but couldn't even get that done.
#32 Apr 26 2011 at 3:22 PM Rating: Good
Sage
****
4,041 posts
Also, is SgtFrog a new GrowlingBunny sock? Why do they have a turtle for their avatar? When will we get to see pictures of permanent markers penetrating anuses?
#33The One and Only SgtFrog, Posted: Apr 26 2011 at 3:45 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Growling bunny?..what’s that :|
#34 Apr 26 2011 at 3:50 PM Rating: Good
****
7,819 posts
I can see the whole thing backfiring and them being voted out of office and the judges sticking around.
____________________________
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/ImGatomon/Request.jpg

. “Power even if it is raw uncontrolled potential is just as dangerous as a trained assassin. It is unpredictable and deadly if your are not prepared." ~Gatomon From the story A Fox Among Wolves.
#35 Apr 26 2011 at 9:49 PM Rating: Good
Supreme Lionator
*****
14,174 posts
man, they're voted in that sounds like a democratic mandate to me

time to legislate from the bench doubletime
____________________________
“Socialism never took root in America because the poor see themselves not as an exploited proletariat but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires.”
#36 Apr 28 2011 at 10:25 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Ailitardif, Star Breaker wrote:
Jophiel wrote:
Heck, even the ones getting recalled might. The threshold for a recall petition is 15% of the registered voters in the district. But they can still win the recall election by getting 50%+ of the votes.I was mainly noting that not all the eligible WI state senators from either side are being recalled.
I get what you are saying, I was mainly responding to varus' poor comparison two unrelated events and how the one he brought up as an example that the dems aren't getting punished for their actions when they clearly are.

Just as a follow up, the good guys got six GOP state senators (every one eligible) into recall elections this summer. The bad guys got three Democratic state senators into recall elections and failed to get enough signatures for the other three petitions.

Edited, Apr 28th 2011 11:29pm by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#37 Apr 29 2011 at 4:01 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,069 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Ailitardif, Star Breaker wrote:
Jophiel wrote:
Heck, even the ones getting recalled might. The threshold for a recall petition is 15% of the registered voters in the district. But they can still win the recall election by getting 50%+ of the votes.I was mainly noting that not all the eligible WI state senators from either side are being recalled.
I get what you are saying, I was mainly responding to varus' poor comparison two unrelated events and how the one he brought up as an example that the dems aren't getting punished for their actions when they clearly are.

Just as a follow up, the good guys got six GOP state senators (every one eligible) into recall elections this summer. The bad guys got three Democratic state senators into recall elections and failed to get enough signatures for the other three petitions.

Edited, Apr 28th 2011 11:29pm by Jophiel


Good for them! It's nice to see people get involved with politics. It looks like the people of Wisconsin don't like what the republicans are doing more than what the democrats didn't do.
____________________________
http://www.marriageissogay.com/

Song of the day:
May 26, 2011 -- Transplants
#38 Apr 29 2011 at 7:55 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
My mistake, there were eight GOP state senators eligible for recall and six have had petitions filed against them.

Some of the senators are in solidly partisan districts where it's unlikely that they be under serious threat but if the Democrats come out with a net gain of three seats after the nine elections, it'll flip control in the state senate.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 49 All times are in CDT
Allegory, Almalieque, Anonymous Guests (47)