Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Don't Say **** BillFollow

#252 Apr 26 2011 at 8:38 PM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Ailitardif, Star Breaker wrote:
This isn't about evolution, but how do you explain water?

In every other substance known to man the solid is more dense than the liquid, but not with water. If this were true with water, then life would not exist. That just happened randomly?

I'm not trying to prove that God is real here, just curious as to what you all think about this.
Why assume that because something is useful it was designed to have use? That's akin to asking how we ended up here - we'd be asking the same question if we evolved on a planet on the other side of the universe. That's just the way things are.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#253 Apr 26 2011 at 8:47 PM Rating: Excellent
****
4,150 posts
gbaji wrote:
I'm just remarking with some amusement how the only people I've met who insist on taking the bible literally are atheists.



Then you need to get out and meet more people.

Athiests (this one anyway) don't believe that the Bible is any more than a collection of stories, myths, legends whathaveyou. I have nothing against such a collection, I love a good read.

What we (I) object to is being told that it is any more important than any other book, and that without our acceptance of its contents as true!, that we are incapable of knowing right from wrong, good from evil, as though only they, with their 'insider knowledge' are capable of living good, happy, compassionate, fulfilling lives. They wont accept that there are multiple paths to the same destination. They are on the one and only right path. The rest of us are off to some place they call Hell.

By all means, believers should be able to believe whatever they want, evidence or no, but for them to insist that there is a case for teaching their superstitions as though they have some sort of scientific merit is ridiculous.
____________________________
"If you have selfish, ignorant citizens, you're gonna get selfish, ignorant leaders". Carlin.

#254 Apr 26 2011 at 8:58 PM Rating: Excellent
****
4,150 posts
Ailitardif, Star Breaker wrote:
This isn't about evolution, but how do you explain water?

In every other substance known to man the solid is more dense than the liquid, but not with water. If this were true with water, then life would not exist. That just happened randomly?

I'm not trying to prove that God is real here, just curious as to what you all think about this.




Water is ace. Especially when its salty and moving. And because water is one of the few things that moves pressure waves through itself at 'human' speeds it allows me to do stuff like this....

Screenshot


And I'm allowed to post that because its post #4k.

So GFY!

Edited, Apr 27th 2011 3:03am by paulsol
____________________________
"If you have selfish, ignorant citizens, you're gonna get selfish, ignorant leaders". Carlin.

#255 Apr 26 2011 at 9:24 PM Rating: Good
******
43,382 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Evolution has no "poor results".
Rednecks.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#256Almalieque, Posted: Apr 26 2011 at 9:37 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) This is quite amusing. You know something? You aren't as "smart" as you believe. I thought about explaining that sentence to you in that quote, but I told myself, no, let me see if you'll figure it out. As hypothesized, it flew over your head and instead of realizing your own inaccuracy, you once again, projected your own stupidity unto me.
#257 Apr 26 2011 at 9:51 PM Rating: Good
****
4,150 posts
Quote:
I could have argued the Flying Spaghetti Monster and STILL have crushed your idiocy, lack of understanding and overall poor arguments.


I truly believe that the requirments for obtaining a US Passport are far too lenient. they need to be tightened exponentially. I also believe that the recent lowering of standards for entry into the US military was a huge mistake.

I feel that allowing Alma to be associated with an organisation whose purpose it is is to kill people, even if they are, usually, swarthy and often starving foreigners, is a direct and blatant insult to the people being killed.

They deserve better than to discover that the person behind the murder of themselves, and as often as not, the dismemberment and immolation of their children, is this painfully stupid windowlicker.

____________________________
"If you have selfish, ignorant citizens, you're gonna get selfish, ignorant leaders". Carlin.

#258 Apr 26 2011 at 10:08 PM Rating: Good
Supreme Lionator
*****
14,174 posts
Quote:
This isn't about evolution, but how do you explain water?

In every other substance known to man the solid is more dense than the liquid, but not with water. If this were true with water, then life would not exist. That just happened randomly?

I'm not trying to prove that God is real here, just curious as to what you all think about this.


No, that's not true. At least google something before you post it, come on. Your computer runs on a material more dense melted.

Jesus.
____________________________
“Socialism never took root in America because the poor see themselves not as an exploited proletariat but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires.”
#259 Apr 26 2011 at 10:33 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Kavekk wrote:
Your computer runs on a material more dense melted.

Electricity??
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#260 Apr 27 2011 at 2:16 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
39 posts
Did Basil get elected to office in this state? He was running in TN right?

Edited, Apr 27th 2011 4:17am by decayed
#261 Apr 27 2011 at 3:58 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,069 posts
Nilatai wrote:


Not randomly, it's just how water is. You make the assumption that life is the goal of the Universe.




If the universe can have goals, who's to say that the universe isn't some type of higher power. I'm of course not saying that water proves God's existence, but it certainly doesn't disprove it.

I do think that deep down, all religions are essentially the same, just different paths to the same destination.
____________________________
http://www.marriageissogay.com/

Song of the day:
May 26, 2011 -- Transplants
#262 Apr 27 2011 at 4:59 AM Rating: Good
Drunken English Bastard
*****
15,262 posts
Ailitardif, Star Breaker wrote:
Nilatai wrote:


Not randomly, it's just how water is. You make the assumption that life is the goal of the Universe.




If the universe can have goals, who's to say that the universe isn't some type of higher power. I'm of course not saying that water proves God's existence, but it certainly doesn't disprove it.

I do think that deep down, all religions are essentially the same, just different paths to the same destination.
Oh, Pantheism. Okay. I'm not saying it can't, but you're saying that it can. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Again, the onus is on the one making the claim. Not on the one refuting it.


To claim the Universe has some kind of conciousness requires you to do some kind of research to find empirical evidence that this is the case. Kind of like every other claim that has ever been made by every other human in the history of the world.

edit: Also to quote Pierre-Simon Laplace when asked by Napoleon where god was in his model of the Universe: "I had no need of that hypothesis".

Edited, Apr 27th 2011 7:01am by Nilatai
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#263 Apr 27 2011 at 5:30 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
8,939 posts
paulsol wrote:
Quote:
I could have argued the Flying Spaghetti Monster and STILL have crushed your idiocy, lack of understanding and overall poor arguments.


I truly believe that the requirments for obtaining a US Passport are far too lenient. they need to be tightened exponentially. I also believe that the recent lowering of standards for entry into the US military was a huge mistake.

I feel that allowing Alma to be associated with an organisation whose purpose it is is to kill people, even if they are, usually, swarthy and often starving foreigners, is a direct and blatant insult to the people being killed.

They deserve better than to discover that the person behind the murder of themselves, and as often as not, the dismemberment and immolation of their children, is this painfully stupid windowlicker.



No one has yet provided the connection between personal opinions/beliefs and the ability to do one's job. I find it ironic that you'll fight for homosexuals to be able to work in places, arguing that what they feel and believe has no effect on their capability to work, yet you'll turn around and claim that I'm somehow not fit to be in the military based on my feelings and opinions. The same contradiction that I busted Belkira on.

You guys never cease to amaze me....
____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
#264 Apr 27 2011 at 5:36 AM Rating: Good
Drunken English Bastard
*****
15,262 posts
He wasn't talking about your beliefs, he was talking about how you're not an intelligent person.
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#265 Apr 27 2011 at 5:51 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
8,939 posts
Nilatai wrote:
He wasn't talking about your beliefs, he was talking about how you're not an intelligent person.


Are you a professional idiot? Yet again I was going to make the connection and I literally deleted the sentence, telling myself that it would just give me an additional post to explain it. You really aren't as smart as you think.

Simply stating that my belief is "stupid" doesn't make it stupid. I can say "It's stupid to be gay" does that make it true?

If you truly believe your statement, then explain how I'm "not an intelligent person" WITHOUT mentioning any of my opinions,beliefs or views on topics. Go

*You were unable to explain why I was a f**ktard about homosexuality when I didn't say anything negative about it. So, I'll like to see you explain this one. Then again, I'm sure you'll just ignore it just like you did everything else.
____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
#266 Apr 27 2011 at 5:52 AM Rating: Good
****
4,150 posts
What Nil said....
____________________________
"If you have selfish, ignorant citizens, you're gonna get selfish, ignorant leaders". Carlin.

#267 Apr 27 2011 at 5:55 AM Rating: Good
Drunken English Bastard
*****
15,262 posts
Alma, you said this and genuinely thought you were making some kind of brilliant point:

You wrote:
So apes are humans?


That's all I need to show you are not an intelligent person.
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#268 Apr 27 2011 at 5:56 AM Rating: Good
****
4,150 posts
Alma. I'm not talking about your 'beliefs' you fUckwit. I'm talking about mine. One of them being that you are 'stupid'. Not just a bit stupid, but all out, utterly, literally, thick-as-a-brick rock stupid.

And as evidence I would refer anyone who can be **** to look, pretty much every post you have ever written.
____________________________
"If you have selfish, ignorant citizens, you're gonna get selfish, ignorant leaders". Carlin.

#269 Apr 27 2011 at 6:08 AM Rating: Good
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,674 posts
Almalieque wrote:
Simply stating that my belief is "stupid" doesn't make it stupid.
Its not stating that your belief is stupid. What's stupid is you. The thought processes you present to us take leaps and bounds in logic and twist truths in ways that boggle. Your beliefs aren't stupid, your reasons for them are. And that shows your level, or lack, of intelligence.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#270 Apr 27 2011 at 6:12 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Ailitardif, Star Breaker wrote:
I'm of course not saying that water proves God's existence, but it certainly doesn't disprove it.

You can't prove that God doesn't exist as you would be proving a negative. Someone arguing for ID/Creationism needs to prove that said Creator does exist and designed life.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#271 Apr 27 2011 at 6:20 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,069 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Ailitardif, Star Breaker wrote:
I'm of course not saying that water proves God's existence, but it certainly doesn't disprove it.

You can't prove that God doesn't exist as you would be proving a negative. Someone arguing for ID/Creationism needs to prove that said Creator does exist and designed life.


Maybe in order to teach it as science in schools they would need to prove it, but they don't need to prove it to believe it.
____________________________
http://www.marriageissogay.com/

Song of the day:
May 26, 2011 -- Transplants
#272 Apr 27 2011 at 6:22 AM Rating: Good
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,674 posts
Ailitardif, Star Breaker wrote:
Maybe in order to teach it as science in schools they would need to prove it
Wasn't that the point of the discussion?
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#273 Apr 27 2011 at 6:29 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Ailitardif, Star Breaker wrote:
they don't need to prove it to believe it.

Well, no. If evidence was required to believe stuff, the world would be a very different place. That's neither here nor there towards passing it off as science in the classroom.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#274 Apr 27 2011 at 6:30 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,069 posts
Nilatai wrote:
Ailitardif, Star Breaker wrote:
Nilatai wrote:


Not randomly, it's just how water is. You make the assumption that life is the goal of the Universe.




If the universe can have goals, who's to say that the universe isn't some type of higher power. I'm of course not saying that water proves God's existence, but it certainly doesn't disprove it.

I do think that deep down, all religions are essentially the same, just different paths to the same destination.
Oh, Pantheism. Okay. I'm not saying it can't, but you're saying that it can. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Again, the onus is on the one making the claim. Not on the one refuting it.


To claim the Universe has some kind of conciousness requires you to do some kind of research to find empirical evidence that this is the case. Kind of like every other claim that has ever been made by every other human in the history of the world.

edit: Also to quote Pierre-Simon Laplace when asked by Napoleon where god was in his model of the Universe: "I had no need of that hypothesis".

Edited, Apr 27th 2011 7:01am by Nilatai


I'm not saying that water proves God exists, in fact I said it doesn't prove or disprove it. I just was raising an interesting point and wanted other opinions on it. I don't mean to imply that it is evidence of god though, so I apologize if you took it that way.

Edited, Apr 27th 2011 8:31am by Ailitardif
____________________________
http://www.marriageissogay.com/

Song of the day:
May 26, 2011 -- Transplants
#275 Apr 27 2011 at 6:32 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
8,939 posts
Nilatai wrote:
Alma, you said this and genuinely thought you were making some kind of brilliant point:

You wrote:
So apes are humans?


That's all I need to show you are not an intelligent person.


Almalieque wrote:

My entire counter to your "we're animals" argument is that there are differences between animals and humans regardless if you consider humans as animals or not. You countered that humans are apes, disregarding that distinction, implying that we are animals, great apes to be exact. So, by baboons being gay, it's natural for humans to be **** or something to that effect.

Well, I simply turned your statement around to say "oh, apes are humans?". Obviously you don't believe that. So, if it doesn't work both ways, then that means that there are not equal and there exist a difference between the two. In other words, just because something is natural with an ape or baboon, doesn't mean it's natural with humans because we aren't the same thing! Else, you would have agreed to the "apes are humans".


I already explained that to you. Just because it's natural for a cheetah to run at incredible fast rates, doesn't make it natural for a house cat to do the same because they are both cats. They are two different animals.

So, if I missed your mark, then what was the relevance in mentioning homosexuality in nature?

Paulsol wrote:
Alma. I'm not talking about your 'beliefs' you **** I'm talking about mine. One of them being that you are 'stupid'. Not just a bit stupid, but all out, utterly, literally, thick-as-a-brick rock stupid.

And as evidence I would refer anyone who can be **** to look, pretty much every post you have ever written.


Paul. I'm not talking about your 'beliefs' you **** I'm talking about mine. One of them being that you are 'stupid'. Not just a bit stupid, but all out, utterly, literally, thick-as-a-brick rock stupid.

And as evidence I would refer anyone who can be **** to look, pretty much every post you have ever written.

I guess that puts us at a stalemate? Such compelling evidence.

Ugly wrote:
Its not stating that your belief is stupid. What's stupid is you. The thought processes you present to us take leaps and bounds in logic and twist truths in ways that boggle. Your beliefs aren't stupid, your reasons for them are. And that shows your level, or lack, of intelligence.


Your inability to follow a process doesn't make me stupid either, but to be fair, specifically name me a thought process that is "stupid" and we can discuss it.
____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
#276 Apr 27 2011 at 6:33 AM Rating: Good
***
2,069 posts
Uglysasquatch wrote:
Ailitardif, Star Breaker wrote:
Maybe in order to teach it as science in schools they would need to prove it
Wasn't that the point of the discussion?


That discussion with Alma? I guess, could you even follow that?
____________________________
http://www.marriageissogay.com/

Song of the day:
May 26, 2011 -- Transplants
#277 Apr 27 2011 at 6:36 AM Rating: Good
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,674 posts
Its not my inability to follow a though process, its your inability to create one logically. I'm not interested enough in discussing anything with you to go back and read your mess to find an example. Ask someone who gives a sh*t, as I was simply clarifying a point for you.

Given that the general consensus is that you are stupid, how about you prove how you're not.

Edited, Apr 27th 2011 9:45am by Uglysasquatch
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#278 Apr 27 2011 at 6:38 AM Rating: Good
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,674 posts
Ailitardif, Star Breaker wrote:
Uglysasquatch wrote:
Ailitardif, Star Breaker wrote:
Maybe in order to teach it as science in schools they would need to prove it
Wasn't that the point of the discussion?


That discussion with Alma? I guess, could you even follow that?
I have given up following any discussion with him. He's completely hopeless. His only use now is for insulting and ridiculing.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#279 Apr 27 2011 at 6:58 AM Rating: Good
***
2,069 posts
Uglysasquatch wrote:
Ailitardif, Star Breaker wrote:
Uglysasquatch wrote:
Ailitardif, Star Breaker wrote:
Maybe in order to teach it as science in schools they would need to prove it
Wasn't that the point of the discussion?


That discussion with Alma? I guess, could you even follow that?
I have given up following any discussion with him. He's completely hopeless. His only use now is for insulting and ridiculing.


Yeah...

Anyway, I was trying to point out that not all religious types support teaching creation as science. My faith would be best described as unitarian universalist. This is a church that even some agnostics and atheists go to.

My belief in God doesn't prevent me from knowing that evolution is real (I can't ignore scientific facts). I do believe that evolution and the universe is controled, but I of course can't prove it. That's what faith is for, but faith is not science.

I believe that my beliefs are right, but I don't believe that people who don't follow my beliefs are wrong. I think that all modern religion is just a different interpretation of the same thing (yes, even aethism). I know, I'm weird.

My beliefs also change as I learn more. I used to believe that if you weren't Christian you would burn in **** for all eternity. I no longer even believe in hell.

I'm rambling now, so I will shut up.
____________________________
http://www.marriageissogay.com/

Song of the day:
May 26, 2011 -- Transplants
#280 Apr 27 2011 at 7:04 AM Rating: Good
Drunken English Bastard
*****
15,262 posts
Almalieque wrote:
Nilatai wrote:
Alma, you said this and genuinely thought you were making some kind of brilliant point:

You wrote:
So apes are humans?


That's all I need to show you are not an intelligent person.


Almalieque wrote:

My entire counter to your "we're animals" argument is that there are differences between animals and humans regardless if you consider humans as animals or not. You countered that humans are apes, disregarding that distinction, implying that we are animals, great apes to be exact. So, by baboons being gay, it's natural for humans to be **** or something to that effect.

Well, I simply turned your statement around to say "oh, apes are humans?". Obviously you don't believe that. So, if it doesn't work both ways, then that means that there are not equal and there exist a difference between the two. In other words, just because something is natural with an ape or baboon, doesn't mean it's natural with humans because we aren't the same thing! Else, you would have agreed to the "apes are humans".


I already explained that to you. Just because it's natural for a cheetah to run at incredible fast rates, doesn't make it natural for a house cat to do the same because they are both cats. They are two different animals.

So, if I missed your mark, then what was the relevance in mentioning homosexuality in nature?
What you said was equivalent to "All fish are Sharks", just because all Sharks are fish does not make the converse statement true. You're an idiot if you think you were making some kind of brilliant point by saying this.

Humans, **** Sapiens, are a species of great ape. Just like Gorillas are a species of Great Ape. This doesn't mean all Apes are Gorillas. Do you understand what I am saying, because I honestly don't believe you do.

Humans are:

Vertebrates - we share attributes with all other vertebrates.
Placentals - We share attributes with all other placentals.
Mammals - we share attributes with all other mammals.
Primates - we share attributes with all other primates.
Great Apes - we share attributes with all other great apes.

This does not mean that I am saying that all other species that fit into any one of these categories also have to be Human. This is the crux of your fallacious "counter-argument". It is disingenuous to the highest degree.
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#281 Apr 27 2011 at 7:13 AM Rating: Good
The Duck Whisperer
*****
15,512 posts
Ailitardif, Star Breaker wrote:
This isn't about evolution, but how do you explain water?

In every other substance known to man the solid is more dense than the liquid, but not with water. If this were true with water, then life would not exist. That just happened randomly?

I'm not trying to prove that God is real here, just curious as to what you all think about this.


Nope, it's not the only one that does that. Silicon, gallium, germanium, antimony, bismuth, and plutonium do it too. It depends on how the molecules come together. Water's shape causes it to form a hexagonal lattice.
____________________________
Iamadam the Prophet wrote:

You know that feeling you get when you have a little bit of hope, only to have it ripped away? Sweetums feeds on that.
#282 Apr 27 2011 at 7:25 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,069 posts
Sweetums wrote:
Ailitardif, Star Breaker wrote:
This isn't about evolution, but how do you explain water?

In every other substance known to man the solid is more dense than the liquid, but not with water. If this were true with water, then life would not exist. That just happened randomly?

I'm not trying to prove that God is real here, just curious as to what you all think about this.


Nope, it's not the only one that does that. Silicon, gallium, germanium, antimony, bismuth, and plutonium do it too. It depends on how the molecules come together. Water's shape causes it to form a hexagonal lattice.


I looked it up too, and there are five confirmed and two possible. I don't have the list in front of me but 5-7 out of millions isn't much, but yes, I was wrong to say one. I also know the chemistry as to how it works, I was asking why it is like that.
____________________________
http://www.marriageissogay.com/

Song of the day:
May 26, 2011 -- Transplants
#283 Apr 27 2011 at 7:28 AM Rating: Good
Drunken English Bastard
*****
15,262 posts
Ailitardif, Star Breaker wrote:
I also know the chemistry as to how it works, I was asking why it is like that.
"Because".
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#284 Apr 27 2011 at 7:33 AM Rating: Good
***
2,069 posts
Nilatai wrote:
Ailitardif, Star Breaker wrote:
I also know the chemistry as to how it works, I was asking why it is like that.
"Because".


This I can accept.
____________________________
http://www.marriageissogay.com/

Song of the day:
May 26, 2011 -- Transplants
#285 Apr 27 2011 at 7:35 AM Rating: Good
The Duck Whisperer
*****
15,512 posts
Ailitardif, Star Breaker wrote:
Sweetums wrote:
Ailitardif, Star Breaker wrote:
This isn't about evolution, but how do you explain water?

In every other substance known to man the solid is more dense than the liquid, but not with water. If this were true with water, then life would not exist. That just happened randomly?

I'm not trying to prove that God is real here, just curious as to what you all think about this.


Nope, it's not the only one that does that. Silicon, gallium, germanium, antimony, bismuth, and plutonium do it too. It depends on how the molecules come together. Water's shape causes it to form a hexagonal lattice.


I looked it up too, and there are five confirmed and two possible. I don't have the list in front of me but 5-7 out of millions isn't much, but yes, I was wrong to say one. I also know the chemistry as to how it works, I was asking why it is like that.
Because water is a polar molecule and the two negative ions want to be attracted to the large positive one while still being as far away from each other as possible, and the ideal way to do that is to be at an angle because there are still other valence electrons the hydrogens want to avoid. This causes it to be a triangular shape, and the easiest way for them to come together is in a hexagonal pattern. You might as well be asking "why so physics?"
It's kind of like why a pile of toothpick triangles is more dense than one made into those really awesome domes you got to make in elementary school.

I might have the positives and negatives mixed up because, **** it Jim, I'm a math major, not a chem major!



Edited, Apr 27th 2011 8:44am by Sweetums
____________________________
Iamadam the Prophet wrote:

You know that feeling you get when you have a little bit of hope, only to have it ripped away? Sweetums feeds on that.
#286 Apr 27 2011 at 7:47 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,069 posts
Sweetums wrote:
Ailitardif, Star Breaker wrote:
Sweetums wrote:
Ailitardif, Star Breaker wrote:
This isn't about evolution, but how do you explain water?

In every other substance known to man the solid is more dense than the liquid, but not with water. If this were true with water, then life would not exist. That just happened randomly?

I'm not trying to prove that God is real here, just curious as to what you all think about this.


Nope, it's not the only one that does that. Silicon, gallium, germanium, antimony, bismuth, and plutonium do it too. It depends on how the molecules come together. Water's shape causes it to form a hexagonal lattice.


I looked it up too, and there are five confirmed and two possible. I don't have the list in front of me but 5-7 out of millions isn't much, but yes, I was wrong to say one. I also know the chemistry as to how it works, I was asking why it is like that.
Because water is a polar molecule and the two negative ions want to be attracted to the large positive one while still being as far away from each other as possible, and the ideal way to do that is to be at an angle because there are still other valence electrons the hydrogens want to avoid. This causes it to be a triangular shape, and the easiest way for them to come together is in a hexagonal pattern. You might as well be asking "why so physics?"


This is explaining the chemistry again, I already know the chemistry...maybe I'm asking the question wrong. Doesn't matter because Nilatai already explained it :P

Edit: messed up quote real bad.

Edited, Apr 27th 2011 10:18am by Ailitardif
____________________________
http://www.marriageissogay.com/

Song of the day:
May 26, 2011 -- Transplants
#287 Apr 27 2011 at 8:12 AM Rating: Good
Drunken English Bastard
*****
15,262 posts
Ailitardif, Star Breaker wrote:
This is explaining the chemistry again, I already know the chemistry...maybe I'm asking the question wrong. Doesn't matter because Nilatai already explained it :P
I'm a helper.


Honestly though it's that simple. Water behaves like water because it is water.
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#288 Apr 27 2011 at 8:20 AM Rating: Good
***
2,069 posts
Nilatai wrote:
Ailitardif, Star Breaker wrote:
This is explaining the chemistry again, I already know the chemistry...maybe I'm asking the question wrong. Doesn't matter because Nilatai already explained it :P
I'm a helper.


Honestly though it's that simple. Water behaves like water because it is water.


Nice job on this. I put my response inside the quote instead of outside. This happens when posting on a phone.
____________________________
http://www.marriageissogay.com/

Song of the day:
May 26, 2011 -- Transplants
#289 Apr 27 2011 at 8:28 AM Rating: Excellent
****
5,684 posts
Nilatai wrote:
Ailitardif, Star Breaker wrote:
I also know the chemistry as to how it works, I was asking why it is like that.
"Because".
Basically.

It's like asking why anything works or exists, then keep asking why when you get a mechanism of explanation. Once you can't explain it, the answer doesn't boil down to "god" "magick" or "because you touch yourself" it just is because it is.
____________________________
Almalieque wrote:
I admit that I was wrong

God bless Lili St. Cyr
#290 Apr 27 2011 at 8:30 AM Rating: Good
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,674 posts
Bardalicious wrote:
Once you can't explain it, the answer doesn't boil down to "god" "magick" or "because you touch yourself" it just is because it is.
You're allowed to say it just is, but they can't?
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#291 Apr 27 2011 at 8:34 AM Rating: Good
Drunken English Bastard
*****
15,262 posts
Uglysasquatch wrote:
Bardalicious wrote:
Once you can't explain it, the answer doesn't boil down to "god" "magick" or "because you touch yourself" it just is because it is.
You're allowed to say it just is, but they can't?
There comes a point where you can gain no more information by asking "why?", this is when you get to things like Bard mentioned. Saying "Magic" or "god/gods" may be okay for some people but it does not advance understanding in any way shape or form. That's his point, I think.
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#292 Apr 27 2011 at 8:53 AM Rating: Good
****
5,684 posts
Uglysasquatch wrote:
Bardalicious wrote:
Once you can't explain it, the answer doesn't boil down to "god" "magick" or "because you touch yourself" it just is because it is.
You're allowed to say it just is, but they can't?
Religion doesn't tend to say it just is, they say it just is because of god.
____________________________
Almalieque wrote:
I admit that I was wrong

God bless Lili St. Cyr
#293 Apr 27 2011 at 8:55 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Uglysasquatch wrote:
You're allowed to say it just is, but they can't?

I think the problem is that eventually Creationists are looking for motive when one doesn't exist. Why do we have a chemical compound that's required for life? There's no motive to it, it's that way because if it wasn't we wouldn't be alive to worry about it. The answer is simply "because" for the reason that there is no motive.

Now if you (general "you") were asking why water acts the way it does on a molecular level then you can get into it. But I think most Creationist arguments boil down to them trying to disavow any random element by working backwards and then declaring that the end result is all too perfect for it to be random.

You can do the same with any occurrence and play the "butterfly effect" game where you take an event, work backwards and claim the events leading up to the internal combustion engine couldn't have been random because it's all too perfect that we have internal combustion engines today.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#294 Apr 27 2011 at 8:59 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,069 posts
Nilatai wrote:
Uglysasquatch wrote:
Bardalicious wrote:
Once you can't explain it, the answer doesn't boil down to "god" "magick" or "because you touch yourself" it just is because it is.
You're allowed to say it just is, but they can't?
There comes a point where you can gain no more information by asking "why?", this is when you get to things like Bard mentioned. Saying "Magic" or "god/gods" may be okay for some people but it does not advance understanding in any way shape or form. That's his point, I think.


It may not advance understanding, but it doesn't have to block understanding either. I know it does for some people, but not for me. I know that modern humans and chimps share a common ancestor and I know the Earth is billions of years old. I know this because there is evidence of it. The only difference between you and me is that I don't believe it is random.

I also want to be clear that I do not think you are wrong. Both of our beliefs bring us to the same end point, we just are on differing paths to get there.



____________________________
http://www.marriageissogay.com/

Song of the day:
May 26, 2011 -- Transplants
#295 Apr 27 2011 at 9:02 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,069 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Uglysasquatch wrote:
You're allowed to say it just is, but they can't?

I think the problem is that eventually Creationists are looking for motive when one doesn't exist. Why do we have a chemical compound that's required for life? There's no motive to it, it's that way because if it wasn't we wouldn't be alive to worry about it. The answer is simply "because" for the reason that there is no motive.

Now if you (general "you") were asking why water acts the way it does on a molecular level then you can get into it. But I think most Creationist arguments boil down to them trying to disavow any random element by working backwards and then declaring that the end result is all too perfect for it to be random.

You can do the same with any occurrence and play the "butterfly effect" game where you take an event, work backwards and claim the events leading up to the internal combustion engine couldn't have been random because it's all too perfect that we have internal combustion engines today.


The internal combustion engine is far from perfect, god had nothing to do with that :P
____________________________
http://www.marriageissogay.com/

Song of the day:
May 26, 2011 -- Transplants
#296 Apr 27 2011 at 9:03 AM Rating: Good
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,674 posts
Nilatai wrote:
Uglysasquatch wrote:
Bardalicious wrote:
Once you can't explain it, the answer doesn't boil down to "god" "magick" or "because you touch yourself" it just is because it is.
You're allowed to say it just is, but they can't?
There comes a point where you can gain no more information by asking "why?", this is when you get to things like Bard mentioned. Saying "Magic" or "god/gods" may be okay for some people but it does not advance understanding in any way shape or form. That's his point, I think.
When you get to a point that you can no longer explain something, you have to accept that anything(that can't be proven impossible) is possible. You can say something is less likely, but you can't completely rule it out. Unless you want be as retarded as them.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#297 Apr 27 2011 at 9:03 AM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Ailitardif, Star Breaker wrote:
The only difference between you and me is that I don't believe it is random.
It's not random. There are driving chemical/physical forces behind why we came to be.

Uglysasquatch wrote:
When you get to a point that you can no longer explain something, you have to accept that anything(that can't be proven impossible) is possible.
Or better yet, say "we as a society don't know this answer yet" and continue researching.



Edited, Apr 27th 2011 10:04am by bsphil
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#298 Apr 27 2011 at 9:04 AM Rating: Good
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,674 posts
Ailitardif, Star Breaker wrote:
The internal combustion engine is far from perfect, god had nothing to do with that :P
So because it isn't perfect, God wasn't involved? Awesome, now we know there is no God period.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#299 Apr 27 2011 at 9:06 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Ailitardif, Star Breaker wrote:
The internal combustion engine is far from perfect

So is the human body.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#300 Apr 27 2011 at 9:09 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,069 posts
Uglysasquatch wrote:
Ailitardif, Star Breaker wrote:
The internal combustion engine is far from perfect, god had nothing to do with that :P
So because it isn't perfect, God wasn't involved? Awesome, now we know there is no God period.


But then the lack of perfection becomes perfect and now god is back in :P
____________________________
http://www.marriageissogay.com/

Song of the day:
May 26, 2011 -- Transplants
#301 Apr 27 2011 at 9:13 AM Rating: Excellent
****
6,470 posts
Nilatai wrote:
Uglysasquatch wrote:
Bardalicious wrote:
Once you can't explain it, the answer doesn't boil down to "god" "magick" or "because you touch yourself" it just is because it is.
You're allowed to say it just is, but they can't?
There comes a point where you can gain no more information by asking "why?", this is when you get to things like Bard mentioned. Saying "Magic" or "god/gods" may be okay for some people but it does not advance understanding in any way shape or form. That's his point, I think.


Louis CK wrote:
This is my daughter the other day. She's like:

"Papa, why can't we go outside?"
"Well, 'cause it's raining."
"Why?"
"Well, water's coming out of the sky."
"Why?"
"Because it was in a cloud."
"Why?"
"Well....clouds form when there's vapor."
"Why?"
"...I don't know. I don't know any more things. Those are all the things I know."
"Why?"
"'Cause I'm stupid, okay, I'm stupid."
"Why?"
"Well because I didn't pay attention in school, okay? I went to school, but I didn't listen in class."
"Why?"
"'Cause I was high all the time, okay? I smoked too much pot."
"Why?"
"'Cause my parents gave me no guidance, okay? They didn't give a sh*t."
"Why?"
"'Cause they @#%^ed in the back of the car and had me, and they resented me for taking their youth."
"Why?"
"Because they had bad morals, they had no compass."
"Why?"
"Because they had sh*tty parents. It just keeps going like that."
"Why?"
"Because @#%^ it, we're alone in the universe. Nobody gives a sh*t about us."


I'm gonna stop there to be polite to you for a second. But this goes on for hours and hours, and it gets so weird and abstract it's like:

"Why?"
"Well, because some things are, and some things are not."
"Why?"
"Well, because things that are not can't be."
"Why?"
"Well, because nothing wouldn't be! You can't have @#%^ing nothing isn't, everything is!
"Why?"
"Ah @#%^ you, eat your french fries you little sh*t."



Edited, Apr 27th 2011 11:14am by Eske
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 55 All times are in CDT
Exodus, Timelordwho, Anonymous Guests (53)