Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Re-inventing the languageFollow

#102 Apr 15 2011 at 6:42 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
31,731 posts
Jophiel wrote:
gbaji wrote:
Um... Assuming they are actually decreasing the budgeted amounts for those programs though, it *does* count as actual savings though.

They're not. It was allocated monies for one time expenses that never got used.


Never got used by the programs they were allocated to. Money doesn't just sit there idle Joph. Surplus money in programs gets reallocated (see the section on intergovernmental debt I just wrote if you're unsure how this happens).

The fact that we ran a deficit last year means that that money was spent. Somewhere.

Quote:
They didn't get the "savings" by lowering the CHIP budget or anything.


It means that the baseline funds available for reallocation to other unbudgeted projects is $38.5B lower, which means that's $38.5B dollars they don't have just sitting around to be spent without having to get approval to borrow money to pay for it. You are once again focusing on the individual programs and failing to see the larger picture. The objective here is to decrease the total amount of money we spend. This decreases that total amount (or at least the total amount budgeted ahead of time).


You get that before we borrow money and incur a deficit, we raid all those programs that have extra funds in them, right? Makes sense, doesn't it? You'd dip into the savings account to buy something before taking out a loan (or carrying debt on a credit card), right? Same thing here. And if your savings account is low you'll think harder about whether you really need that thing you're borrowing money for, wouldn't you? That's what this means. The actual amount of money the government has to spend is decreased.

If we were not already running a deficit each year, your argument would have some merit. Just as you might argue that borrowing money from one bank account and putting it into another doesn't matter as long as you don't end out spending more than you earn and having to carry a credit card balance either. But we are borrowing money each year. Thus, any amount we reduce from the amount that appears to be "free money" will (at least hopefully) reduce the amount of money we borrow.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#103 Apr 15 2011 at 6:49 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
gbaji wrote:
So what you've really done is prove that I'm right since the numbers on the graph don't match the actual historical spending numbers.

Well, proven you don't know how to read the numbers, anyway.

You're welcome?
gbaji wrote:
Never got used by the programs they were allocated to. Money doesn't just sit there idle Joph. Surplus money in programs gets reallocated (see the section on intergovernmental debt I just wrote if you're unsure how this happens).

Yeah, you don't get it. That's fine, I've got stuff to do tonight but you should really look into it rather than just guessing. It's fairly amusing.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#104 Apr 15 2011 at 6:53 PM Rating: Default
Encyclopedia
******
31,731 posts
Kachi wrote:
Uglysasquatch wrote:
Kachi wrote:
Uglysasquatch wrote:
Kachi wrote:
I probably stand to lose more than anyone here from heavier taxation
How do you figure that?


I'm not going to go into my financial situation, but when I say "probably" I am merely making a statistical assumption about the amount of taxes the rest of you will pay. How I figure that is between me and the IRS.
A bit presumptuous aren't we then?


If I hadn't said "probably" in the first place, it would have been a presumption. Statistically, it is a fact that I probably stand to lose more than anyone here. However, if I were to equivocate, I could accuse you of being presumptuous for being bold enough to inquire about my finances. :P I won't do that, though. That's just silly.


What he means is that by making that statement you are claiming that you "probably" earn more than anyone else on this forum (since it's reasonable to assume that higher income equates to higher taxes). I certainly don't pay a ton of attention to other posters occupations, so I could be totally wrong about this, but aren't you a college student? Maybe I'm confusing you with someone else though.

In any case, I've never gotten the impression that you were some wealthy captain of industry. Certainly you come off like a youngish person still in school. Given that there are several posters here who earn sizable incomes, it just seemed like a pretty "out from left field" statement for you to make.

Edited, Apr 15th 2011 5:56pm by gbaji
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#105 Apr 17 2011 at 12:49 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Uglysasquatch wrote:
I'd point out why your assumption was incorrect but you've clearly been quite oblivious to the reasons up to now despite the fact that they've been very clearly stated in the past, so I'll just continue to leave you to your blind assumptions.


You have no way of knowing if my assumption is incorrect however, short of being the single person who pays more in taxes than anyone else. Otherwise, I guess you're correct that I don't pay much, if any attention to the details of the lives of the people on this forum.

I am working on my PhD, as I think I've stated a number of times. What anyone thinks that fact has to do with money is their business, I guess.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#106 Apr 18 2011 at 5:42 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
31,731 posts
Kachi wrote:
I am working on my PhD, as I think I've stated a number of times. What anyone thinks that fact has to do with money is their business, I guess.


And yet you felt the need to project the assumption that you "probably" earned more than anyone else on this forum onto said forum. You're the one who injected an association with money, not us. So you kinda made it "our business", didn't you?
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#107 Apr 18 2011 at 6:24 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Gbaji buys TVs with cash.

Or, these days, with Golden Beck-Bucks(tm).
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#108 Apr 18 2011 at 11:19 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
gbaji wrote:
Kachi wrote:
I am working on my PhD, as I think I've stated a number of times. What anyone thinks that fact has to do with money is their business, I guess.


And yet you felt the need to project the assumption that you "probably" earned more than anyone else on this forum onto said forum. You're the one who injected an association with money, not us. So you kinda made it "our business", didn't you?


I made two separate statements at entirely different times. I in no way associated one (education) with the other (money), but I'm not surprised that your pitiful reading comprehension invented some strange understanding of this conversation.

I guess I also shouldn't be surprised that some people apparently associate the size of their bank account with the size of their *****, or for whatever other poor reason they have for being so indignant over a statement of fact.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#109 Apr 18 2011 at 11:43 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
11,987 posts
Based on a bit of basic statistics it is significantly unlikely that Kachi will be the one most affected by the aforementioned tax change. Unless he has really bad people doing his taxes, whereby the larger effective tax rate will be the cause, not a larger principle.

Edit: My analysis is based on the assumption that he does not have a trust fund in the ~8 fig range.

Edited, Apr 19th 2011 2:12am by Timelordwho
____________________________
Just as Planned.
#110 Apr 20 2011 at 9:12 AM Rating: Good
Cervixhouse-Five
******
30,643 posts
Kachi wrote:
gbaji wrote:
Kachi wrote:
I am working on my PhD, as I think I've stated a number of times. What anyone thinks that fact has to do with money is their business, I guess.


And yet you felt the need to project the assumption that you "probably" earned more than anyone else on this forum onto said forum. You're the one who injected an association with money, not us. So you kinda made it "our business", didn't you?


I made two separate statements at entirely different times. I in no way associated one (education) with the other (money), but I'm not surprised that your pitiful reading comprehension invented some strange understanding of this conversation.


I believe the point about whether or not you were in school was that you most likely didn't have a demanding job if you were also attending school. Ergo, you probably are not the one who would be most affected by tax increases.

Kachi wrote:
I guess I also shouldn't be surprised that some people apparently associate the size of their bank account with the size of their *****, or for whatever other poor reason they have for being so indignant over a statement of fact.


It's not a "statement of fact," though. It's an assumption that you make more money than anyone else here, and yet another arrogant comment on your part. If you can't see why making a broad statement to an entire message board that you are making more money than anyone else here is a little insulting, that's your issue. It didn't really affect me, personally, because I've grown used to your attitude and usually just roll my eyes.

Edited, Apr 20th 2011 10:13am by Belkira
#111 Apr 20 2011 at 10:33 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Quote:

I believe the point about whether or not you were in school was that you most likely didn't have a demanding job if you were also attending school. Ergo, you probably are not the one who would be most affected by tax increases.


It's a mistake to equate wealth to a demanding job. While some wealthy people lead more demanding lives, they also have far greater resources with which to manage those demands. They tend to not actually be that stressed out compared to people with more normal incomes. There's an entirely different mindset wherein all the "work" you do is actually pretty recreational.

Quote:
It's not a "statement of fact," though. It's an assumption that you make more money than anyone else here, and yet another arrogant comment on your part. If you can't see why making a broad statement to an entire message board that you are making more money than anyone else here is a little insulting, that's your issue. It didn't really affect me, personally, because I've grown used to your attitude and usually just roll my eyes.


When someone uses the word "probably" and they are correct about the statistical probability of their statement, then to say that "it is a fact that this is probably the case" IS a statement of fact. Just because someone might be more affected by it than I does not mean that that is a PROBABLE scenario. Naturally if you have information about someone here being incredibly wealthy, then you have information on an outlier that someone without data would not about the population or sample. i.e., when talking about probability, it would be correct to assume that there wasn't, and incorrect to assume that there was. An assumption can be factually stated much in the same way an opinion can be factually stated. "I like pizza," is a fact. I do like pizza. "Pizza is great," is an opinion.

Is this really so difficult to understand? Or am I just being trolled? I feel like it's someone's job to misunderstand me when I mince my words, but then to be a pedantic critic when I don't.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#112 Apr 21 2011 at 6:09 AM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
Do you have some kind of vested interest in coming off as an arrogant prick? Honestly...
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#113 Apr 21 2011 at 8:16 AM Rating: Decent
Cervixhouse-Five
******
30,643 posts
Kachi wrote:
Is this really so difficult to understand? Or am I just being trolled? I feel like it's someone's job to misunderstand me when I mince my words, but then to be a pedantic critic when I don't.


I think mostly it's just that you've got this high opinion of yourself, and people get tired of it. Quickly.
#114 Apr 21 2011 at 10:28 AM Rating: Decent
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,686 posts
Belkira wrote:
Kachi wrote:
Is this really so difficult to understand? Or am I just being trolled? I feel like it's someone's job to misunderstand me when I mince my words, but then to be a pedantic critic when I don't.


I think mostly it's just that you've got this high opinion of yourself, and people get tired of it. Quickly.
Assuming his PhD leads to him speaking to patients, I think his bedside manners are going to be in dire need of improvement.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#115 Apr 21 2011 at 11:20 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
I readily accept that at times, particularly online, I blur the line between confidence and cockiness. It's a valid criticism, but not one that I need to hear from any of you, solely on the basis that your criticism has no constructive intent. When we can discuss my shortcomings without the belligerence, I think you'll find I'm actually a pretty humble guy who is very self-reflective and receptive towards his weaknesses. But until then, you can't honestly expect me to give a **** what you think.

And you know, welcome to the internet and all that. If I needed to be understood, accepted, or liked, I wouldn't bother.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#116 Apr 22 2011 at 7:27 AM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
Kachi wrote:
I readily accept that at times, particularly online, I blur the line between confidence and cockiness. It's a valid criticism, but not one that I need to hear from any of you, solely on the basis that your criticism has no constructive intent. When we can discuss my shortcomings without the belligerence, I think you'll find I'm actually a pretty humble guy who is very self-reflective and receptive towards his weaknesses. But until then, you can't honestly expect me to give a **** what you think.

And you know, welcome to the internet and all that. If I needed to be understood, accepted, or liked, I wouldn't bother.


...and you keep going.

No, you don't blur any lines. There's nothing subtle about your rhetoric. You're arrogant and condescending. That's it.

You do need to hear it from somebody, clearly. It's just that you're not interested in hearing it. Whether it's constructive or not comes from you. If you act like an ***, and people (rightly) call you out for acting like an ***, then you can make that criticism constructive by not acting like an *** as much.

I don't believe for a second that you're as humble as you profess to be. Perhaps you're just not as forthcoming with your ego in real life as you are on the internet. But sometimes I think that the internet shows who we are on the inside; who we are when the only impetus to be good comes from ourselves. Either way, I think you're kidding yourself. The flailing, multi-tiered set of excuses that you're giving are pretty much the polar opposite of humble, self-reflective behavior.

And if you want to subscribe to that "it's the internet, I'm free to be a douche" thing, then fine. But if you're going to do that, then own it, and accept the consequences. Don't just be a douche naturally, then get all indignant at the response and try to trot out that tired old excuse.
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#117 Apr 22 2011 at 10:04 AM Rating: Good
Cervixhouse-Five
******
30,643 posts
Kachi wrote:
I readily accept that at times, particularly online, I blur the line between confidence and cockiness. It's a valid criticism, but not one that I need to hear from any of you, solely on the basis that your criticism has no constructive intent. When we can discuss my shortcomings without the belligerence, I think you'll find I'm actually a pretty humble guy who is very self-reflective and receptive towards his weaknesses. But until then, you can't honestly expect me to give a **** what you think.

And you know, welcome to the internet and all that. If I needed to be understood, accepted, or liked, I wouldn't bother.


You expect us to be sweet and hold your hand while you're being belligerent and arrogant yourself...? Don't hold your breath on that, sweetcheeks.

I do think it's cute that you complained about how we told you that you were being a douche then followed up with a, "Herp derp! Welcome to the internet!!!" Pot, kettle, etc.
#118 Apr 23 2011 at 1:34 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
I thought it was clear that I don't really care what your opinion of me is one way or the other. I was actually just trying to call some attention to the fact that maybe you shouldn't be so quick to be judgmental towards someone you don't really know whilst simultaneous proclaiming the high ground. I've never claimed the high ground, myself... if anything, I've been quite blatant about my disregard for civility here, but that's because THIS IS THE ASYLUM. I'm pretty much here to argue with people, not to be well-received. I go to other fora to counsel suicidal people and provide general wellness coaching, and offer genuine insight on social, political, and philosophical subjects. I come here to be an *** (though in spite of reveling in this, I challenge you to find me actually casting judgment on anyone's character). If you want to infer from my behavior here that I'm an irredeemable, self-absorbed ****, as far as I'm concerned that's actually your shortcoming, not mine. And even if you're right, I'm harmless. Flattered you find me worth your time, though (not really).

So lemme go ahead and conclude my contribution to this thread with a big ol' "Oh well." If you find me so insufferable, I welcome you to ignore me or simply not address me. It's the surest way to ensure that I do the same to you. Or keep feeding the troll. Your call.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#119 Apr 23 2011 at 1:47 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
11,987 posts
I wish someone would counsel you to choose suicide as an option.
____________________________
Just as Planned.
#120 Apr 23 2011 at 2:12 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Why wish? Acquire a valuable skill and try it yourself.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#121 Apr 23 2011 at 5:22 AM Rating: Good
Supreme Lionator
*****
14,174 posts
Timelord wrote:
I wish someone would counsel you to choose suicide as an option.


Sorry, I don't give people I dislike advice that's in their best interests.
____________________________
“Socialism never took root in America because the poor see themselves not as an exploited proletariat but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires.”
#122 Apr 23 2011 at 10:29 AM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
Kachi wrote:
I thought it was clear that I don't really care what your opinion of me is one way or the other. I was actually just trying to call some attention to the fact that maybe you shouldn't be so quick to be judgmental towards someone you don't really know whilst simultaneous proclaiming the high ground. I've never claimed the high ground, myself... if anything, I've been quite blatant about my disregard for civility here, but that's because THIS IS THE ASYLUM. I'm pretty much here to argue with people, not to be well-received. I go to other fora to counsel suicidal people and provide general wellness coaching, and offer genuine insight on social, political, and philosophical subjects. I come here to be an *** (though in spite of reveling in this, I challenge you to find me actually casting judgment on anyone's character). If you want to infer from my behavior here that I'm an irredeemable, self-absorbed ****, as far as I'm concerned that's actually your shortcoming, not mine. And even if you're right, I'm harmless. Flattered you find me worth your time, though (not really).

So lemme go ahead and conclude my contribution to this thread with a big ol' "Oh well." If you find me so insufferable, I welcome you to ignore me or simply not address me. It's the surest way to ensure that I do the same to you. Or keep feeding the troll. Your call.


That's a whole lot of writing just to say "I'm so full of myself that I don't think I should be criticized."

I suppose I'm supposed to disregard all that initial indignation? If you were actually just trolling, then you wouldn't be so shocked at the response. You're just doing that classic, catch-all "I was just trolling, I don't care" defense.

If you care just enough to try to defend yourself, then congratulations, you care about as much as everyone else on the forum.


Also: "But it's the Asylum!"

Super. That means that you're not going to get warned or nuked for being an arrogant prick. That doesn't mean that you're exempt from other people calling you out for it.

Keep flailing around for an excuse. We wouldn't want you to have to actually acknowledge any small error now, would we. And on the internet, where no one should ever have to admit fault, of all places! That'd be just awful!
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#123 Apr 24 2011 at 10:32 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
What did I do wrong? You think I'm egotistical, or some ****, which you expressed without provocation, and nobody in my actual life would agree. This makes it hard to genuinely care what you think; however, it makes it easy to be antagonistic towards you, justify it, and enjoy it, so welcome to the party.

Also, just make up your mind. Am I indignant? Or do I not care? There seems to be no further point in telling you which I am and always have been. I do care, about the fun I have clashing with people who can't handle the fact that I think I'm pretty great. This right here? I like it. If you don't like it, then perhaps you should do something else.

But I'd prefer to keep the fuel on the fire. Why do you think I'm an arrogant prick? And why shouldn't I consider you a judgmental arrogant prick? I'll show you mine if you show me yours.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#124 Apr 25 2011 at 7:48 AM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
Kachi wrote:
What did I do wrong? You think I'm egotistical, or some sh*t, which you expressed without provocation, and nobody in my actual life would agree. This makes it hard to genuinely care what you think; however, it makes it easy to be antagonistic towards you, justify it, and enjoy it, so welcome to the party.

Also, just make up your mind. Am I indignant? Or do I not care? There seems to be no further point in telling you which I am and always have been. I do care, about the fun I have clashing with people who can't handle the fact that I think I'm pretty great. This right here? I like it. If you don't like it, then perhaps you should do something else.


Look, I don't doubt when you say that nobody in real life thinks you're arrogant. Not at all, actually. Most people behave differently on the internet than they do in real life. Emotions get beefed up. Expletives flow more freely. People get more sexual, or scholarly, or arrogant.

So why does the fact that you don't act arrogant in real life preclude you from being arrogant on the forum? Or why does it make it so that you shouldn't place merit on what people say here. It should be obvious that when people say the blanket statement "You're an arrogant prick." that they're referring to how they know you here, how you come off to others on the forum.

Would you, in talking to an acquaintance in real life, casually assert that you make more money than them? Probably not (and if you did, you'd probably be very careful about how you said it, and would only do so if it was very necessary to the conversation). That'd be arrogant behavior. Pretty much everyone knows and accepts that. So, we're on the internet, and you did just that. Do you not think that it's still arrogant? I feel like this is pretty clear cut.

And hey, it's emblematic of the way that you hold yourself in most conversations here. So there you go. I'm not going to to go through a bullet list of examples. But it's pretty much every other thread with you lately.

So you think that you don't need to place any merit in what people say here. Fine. But here: I know gbaji grinds your gears. Do you think that gbaji should use the same defenses that you're using? When people call him a partisan hack, do you think he should dismiss those claims offhand? Because it's the internet? Because nobody he know in real life thinks that he's a partisan hack? Are people wrong for calling him out on it here? It's a good parallel. I think you'd do well to consider it.

I'm not telling you to accept everything said without question. Take it with a grain of salt, and a large one if you'd like at that. But you don't do yourself any good by completely shielding yourself from the criticisms. Nor by lashing back out at those leveling them on you. Do it for yourself, if you're interested in improving yourself, and how you come off to others on the internet. If you don't care about that, then suit yourself. It's the Asylum. Go nuts. Just don't be surprised if people keep yelling at you for it here, that's all.

Edited, Apr 25th 2011 9:51am by Eske
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#125 Apr 26 2011 at 1:41 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
It's not like in 8k posts, I have EVER mentioned my financial situation save that once. I wish I hadn't, for reasons completely unrelated to the reception it incited, but I let it slip in making a point: that it's not actually by any necessity in the interest of the wealthy to oppose taxation, and moreover, is antithetical to their interests, and to preempt any ad hominem or accusations of bias, implicit or explicit. It's not something I held up as an example of how fantastic I am. It was a statement of where I'm coming from as an individual. There was no arrogance behind it, and the fact that people were so quick to leap to that conclusion makes it incredibly difficult for me to care about their criticism to begin with-- even if it were intended to be constructive (which it clearly wasn't), there was nothing substantial TO construct upon. If I'm going to be thought of as an arrogant prick for even mentioning it, a circumstance that has shaped my life and perspectives, then to me that merely devalues the criticism. I have excellent sources of criticism that I trust to provide objective and constructive guidance in my continuing maturity as a person, and I don't apologize for failing to find the bitter swill here worthy of my consideration.

As for gbaji, he is my favorite person on this forum, without question. In fact, if he were to leave, I would likely leave as well. You see, I've "known" gbaji for years, and even if I found him contemptible as a person (though I would more accurately say that there are many things about him that I find contemptible), he still excels when it comes to the one thing that counts here-- he entertains me.

My point, restated: Perhaps it's worth questioning whether I'm being defensive about my behavior, or whether you are being defensive about yours?

I'm just having a good, harmless time, and don't really consider my interactions here especially meaningful. If people keep yelling at me with baseless criticism, that's perfect so far as I'm concerned. Argumentativeness requires something worth arguing to fuel the fire, and baseless criticism is the equivalent of nuclear elements. Just try not to be boring about it, is all I ask.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#126 Apr 26 2011 at 1:54 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
31,731 posts
Kachi wrote:
It's not like in 8k posts, I have EVER mentioned my financial situation save that once. I wish I hadn't, for reasons completely unrelated to the reception it incited,...


You could have simply responded to the first question with something like "I made millions in the dot-com days, and bought a couple companies, which afford me a 7 figure salary and the free time to pursue my dream of obtaining a PhD in a field I love". Then some might accuse you of being arrogant and whatnot, but at least you could always just say it's the interwebs and we could all be lying about who we are. Dunno. Just think you took the wrong approach is all. :)


Quote:
... but I let it slip in making a point: that it's not actually by any necessity in the interest of the wealthy to oppose taxation, and moreover, is antithetical to their interests, and to preempt any ad hominem or accusations of bias, implicit or explicit.


I don't really care about how much you make Kachi. I was just surprised that you made the statement and then backed off of it for some reason. If you're going to make a point, go all the way!

Also, I don't think you're quite getting the full opposition to the whole raising taxes thing. You're really repeating a straw man. Very few people argue that the wealthy would suffer if taxes were raised on them. What we argue is that those who benefit from the things that the wealthy do with their money (like those employed by them) would suffer. The filthy rich person is still going to be filthy rich and able to live high on the hog almost no matter how high you raise his tax rate. The argument is that the upward mobility of the working and middle classes suffers by raising taxes on "the rich".

Quote:
As for gbaji, he is my favorite person on this forum, without question. In fact, if he were to leave, I would likely leave as well. You see, I've "known" gbaji for years, and even if I found him contemptible as a person (though I would more accurately say that there are many things about him that I find contemptible), he still excels when it comes to the one thing that counts here-- he entertains me.


But that's because I don't buy your "I'm smarter than you all" act. ;)
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#127 Apr 26 2011 at 2:01 PM Rating: Decent
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,686 posts
gbaji wrote:
But that's because I don't buy your "I'm smarter than you all" act. ;)
Has to be something else, because no one buys that.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#128 Apr 26 2011 at 2:03 PM Rating: Decent
****
6,470 posts
Kachi wrote:
It's not like in 8k posts, I have EVER mentioned my financial situation save that once. I wish I hadn't, for reasons completely unrelated to the reception it incited, but I let it slip in making a point: that it's not actually by any necessity in the interest of the wealthy to oppose taxation, and moreover, is antithetical to their interests, and to preempt any ad hominem or accusations of bias, implicit or explicit. It's not something I held up as an example of how fantastic I am. It was a statement of where I'm coming from as an individual. There was no arrogance behind it, and the fact that people were so quick to leap to that conclusion makes it incredibly difficult for me to care about their criticism to begin with-- even if it were intended to be constructive (which it clearly wasn't), there was nothing substantial TO construct upon. If I'm going to be thought of as an arrogant prick for even mentioning it, a circumstance that has shaped my life and perspectives, then to me that merely devalues the criticism. I have excellent sources of criticism that I trust to provide objective and constructive guidance in my continuing maturity as a person, and I don't apologize for failing to find the bitter swill here worthy of my consideration.

As for gbaji, he is my favorite person on this forum, without question. In fact, if he were to leave, I would likely leave as well. You see, I've "known" gbaji for years, and even if I found him contemptible as a person (though I would more accurately say that there are many things about him that I find contemptible), he still excels when it comes to the one thing that counts here-- he entertains me.

My point, restated: Perhaps it's worth questioning whether I'm being defensive about my behavior, or whether you are being defensive about yours?

I'm just having a good, harmless time, and don't really consider my interactions here especially meaningful. If people keep yelling at me with baseless criticism, that's perfect so far as I'm concerned. Argumentativeness requires something worth arguing to fuel the fire, and baseless criticism is the equivalent of nuclear elements. Just try not to be boring about it, is all I ask.


Christ. You're like a slightly more coherent Alma. Smiley: facepalm

You're gonna do and think what you're gonna do and think. I'm no longer interested in trying to crack that shell.
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#129 Apr 26 2011 at 2:05 PM Rating: Decent
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,686 posts
Eske Esquire wrote:
I'm no longer interested in trying to crack that shell.
Its never been about trying to crack Kachi's shell for me. Its always been about making fun of him, like I would Alma.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#130 Apr 26 2011 at 2:35 PM Rating: Decent
Cervixhouse-Five
******
30,643 posts
Kachi wrote:
My point, restated: Perhaps it's worth questioning whether I'm being defensive about my behavior, or whether you are being defensive about yours?


It's definitely all you. I think that's pretty obvious.

Kachi wrote:
I'm just having a good, harmless time, and don't really consider my interactions here especially meaningful.


It's the same for us. It's especially fun to tell you how arrogant you are, then watch you drool over yourself to try to tell us it's simply not true!
#131 Apr 26 2011 at 2:45 PM Rating: Good
*****
10,777 posts
I love it when I pop into =4 to see what's going on and find a thread like this. It makes me miss Eldy and Nobby.
#132Kachi, Posted: Apr 29 2011 at 2:10 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Well I'm glad it's a mutual arrangement. You can step up for Eske, I guess.
#133 Apr 29 2011 at 4:04 AM Rating: Good
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,686 posts
Kachi wrote:
I just don't really appreciate the paradoxical humility-- it's bullsh*t. "See how great this guy thinks he is!? He's such an arrogant prick! That's why I'm so much better than him!" It's like a high school in here.
I don't need any reason to be better than you, I just am better than you.

There, I stated it for you. The others don't need me to state it to them, anymore, as I've taken care of that enough in the past. I know, you weren't specifically speaking to me on that one, but I have no issues tossing it out there for you.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#134 Apr 29 2011 at 6:09 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
11,987 posts
Kachi wrote:
I don't think


The crux of the problem. Or inherently the solution.
____________________________
Just as Planned.
#135 Apr 29 2011 at 3:04 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Quote:
I don't need any reason to be better than you, I just am better than you.


If your evaluations aren't supported by reason, then they're entirely arbitrary.

But ****, I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt: I've never claimed that you aren't better than me.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#136 Apr 29 2011 at 3:12 PM Rating: Good
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,686 posts
Kachi wrote:
If your evaluations aren't supported by reason, then they're entirely arbitrary.
They are supported by reason: With how great I am, you couldn't possibly be as good.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#137 Apr 29 2011 at 3:24 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
11,987 posts
Uglysasquatch wrote:
Kachi wrote:
If your evaluations aren't supported by reason, then they're entirely arbitrary.
They are supported by reason: With how great I am, you couldn't possibly be as good.


I saw that article in the wsj about you. The writers were clearly sycophants.
____________________________
Just as Planned.
#138 May 06 2011 at 4:26 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
9,324 posts
lolgaxe wrote:

My solutions: Legalize prostitution and marijuana, tax them the same as cigarettes.

Edit: And inadvertently I've also just created more jobs.


This so hard
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.

clicky
#139 May 06 2011 at 4:31 PM Rating: Decent
Supreme Lionator
*****
14,174 posts
I was hating Kachi before it was cool.
____________________________
“Socialism never took root in America because the poor see themselves not as an exploited proletariat but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires.”
#140 May 06 2011 at 5:36 PM Rating: Good
Muggle@#%^er
*****
19,848 posts
Okay, I haven't read any of this thread. But the title + the poster made me lol for real.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#141 May 08 2011 at 9:31 PM Rating: Good
Under A Thumb...
*****
10,009 posts
I don't give a **** about Kachi one way or another but I am curious why being "arrogant" is a bad thing?

I've never understood why thinking yourself being pretty awesome ever amounted to being a ********* I think I'm pretty god **** awesome. But I don't think I'm arrogant. Curious ****, people.
____________________________
Quote:
I would imagine that if you could understand Morse code, a tap dancer would drive you crazy.
Lebowski Fest | Church of the Latter-Day Dude | Nick And Dooie!
#142 May 08 2011 at 9:38 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,428 posts
I wish I made over $250,00 a year so any tax increases WOULD affect me and my husband.

We're hovering around a fifth of that.

Taxes are what you complain about when you have enough food, clothing, a house with a reasonable mortgage, fully paid-for cars, broadband internet access, and a stock portfolio that's not doing that badly.

____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#143 May 08 2011 at 10:34 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Quote:
I don't give a sh*t about Kachi one way or another but I am curious why being "arrogant" is a bad thing?

I've never understood why thinking yourself being pretty awesome ever amounted to being a ********* I think I'm pretty god **** awesome. But I don't think I'm arrogant. Curious sh*t, people.


Don't confuse arrogance, which is thinking yourself above others or having an inflated sense of self-importance, with simply having high self esteem and confidence. Granted this lolful debate has been about which of those I am, I can only imagine those in question think I'm a ******** for other reasons that they can't quite articulate (my honest guess is to compensate for a lack of substantial counterpoint, but I guess that's just me being an arrogant ********** I'm certainly not even exceptionally abrasive or arrogant per the norm here.

In any case, this is not exactly a humble and open-minded community, and while I generally think that people are innately egotistical, that goes double here. We're all pretty convinced that we're right, and gosh **** does that make us awesome. Some of us are just a little more honest about that than others. Case in point, I suppose.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#144 May 08 2011 at 11:51 PM Rating: Good
Muggle@#%^er
*****
19,848 posts
You're no where near as arrogant as bard, in any case.

Then again, he's just so **** endearing that we all just accept it.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#145 May 09 2011 at 3:37 AM Rating: Decent
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,686 posts
Kaelesh wrote:
I don't give a sh*t about Kachi one way or another but I am curious why being "arrogant" is a bad thing?

I've never understood why thinking yourself being pretty awesome ever amounted to being a ********* I think I'm pretty god **** awesome. But I don't think I'm arrogant. Curious sh*t, people.
Kachi's just not all that likeable. And he's very gbaji like: wrong but in complete and utter denial. No where near as frequent, but equally as obtuse when he is.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#146 May 09 2011 at 6:28 AM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
Kachi wrote:
Quote:
I don't give a sh*t about Kachi one way or another but I am curious why being "arrogant" is a bad thing?

I've never understood why thinking yourself being pretty awesome ever amounted to being a ********* I think I'm pretty god **** awesome. But I don't think I'm arrogant. Curious sh*t, people.


Don't confuse arrogance, which is thinking yourself above others or having an inflated sense of self-importance, with simply having high self esteem and confidence. Granted this lolful debate has been about which of those I am, I can only imagine those in question think I'm a ******** for other reasons that they can't quite articulate (my honest guess is to compensate for a lack of substantial counterpoint, but I guess that's just me being an arrogant ********** I'm certainly not even exceptionally abrasive or arrogant per the norm here.

In any case, this is not exactly a humble and open-minded community, and while I generally think that people are innately egotistical, that goes double here. We're all pretty convinced that we're right, and gosh **** does that make us awesome. Some of us are just a little more honest about that than others. Case in point, I suppose.


Guess I struck a nerve.
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#147 May 09 2011 at 7:36 AM Rating: Good
Under A Thumb...
*****
10,009 posts
Kachi wrote:


Don't confuse arrogance,


Thanks for the unnessecary definition *********
____________________________
Quote:
I would imagine that if you could understand Morse code, a tap dancer would drive you crazy.
Lebowski Fest | Church of the Latter-Day Dude | Nick And Dooie!
#148 May 09 2011 at 7:42 AM Rating: Good
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,686 posts
Kaelesh wrote:
Kachi wrote:


Don't confuse arrogance,


Thanks for the unnessecary definition *********
Still need help answering your question?
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#149varusword75, Posted: May 09 2011 at 8:03 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) kachi,
#150 May 09 2011 at 8:09 AM Rating: Good
****
9,278 posts
Quote:
lol...how many people have you ever employeed?


If you're running a successful business and running it properly, then the costs of paying one's employees should be covered by the profits, while still leaving enough for the owner(s) to retain an adequate(or more than adequate depending on the profit).

If you're paying employees out of your own pocket, either your business is losing money, or you're employing more people than you can afford.
____________________________
Master Meleagant Driftwood of Stromm, Warrior of the 69th level(EQ)
Rhyys, Human Warrior of 67th level(WoW)

The World Is Not A Cold Dead Place.
Alan Watts wrote:
I am omnipotent insofar as I am the Universe, but I am not an omnipotent in the role of Alan Watts, only cunning


Eske wrote:
I've always read Driftwood as the straight man in varus' double act. It helps if you read all of his posts in the voice of Droopy Dog.
#151 May 09 2011 at 8:10 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,044 posts
Kachi wrote:

In any case, this is not exactly a humble and open-minded community,
Not humble, no. But probably more open-minded than the public at large. It can also be brutally honest.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 46 All times are in CDT
feelz, Kuwoobie, stupidmonkey, Szabo, Anonymous Guests (42)