Forum Settings
       
1 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 Next »
Reply To Thread

On the Armenian GenocideFollow

#852 May 31 2018 at 2:31 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
284 posts
Jesus Christ, myself. Rant much, *******? And look into paragraphs. Your propaganda meant to enable all humans and animals to be happy fails due to alcoholism and nonsense.
#853 May 31 2018 at 8:38 AM Rating: Good
*******
50,525 posts
Alcohol doesn't make you a moron, it just lets your inner moron out.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#854 May 31 2018 at 10:29 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,654 posts
Well it is important for everyone to get their exercise.
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#855 May 31 2018 at 11:26 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,722 posts
Humphrey Bogart wrote:
People who don't drink are afraid of revealing themselves.
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#856 May 31 2018 at 11:36 AM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
17,200 posts
Professor stupidmonkey wrote:
Humphrey Bogart wrote:
People who don't drink are afraid of revealing themselves.


Joe Nichols wrote:
Tequila makes her clothes fall off.
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#857 May 31 2018 at 12:26 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
284 posts
Speaking of morons...so I'm watching the gripping thriller but then I'm just SIGHing because Taraji P Henson clocked Idris Elba in the noggin but then didn't finish him! She immediately fled!

Then later in the movie she yet again brained Idris Elba in the dome and then....ran away!! EEEK as if scared by a mouse. Ain't no mouse! It's Idris Elba trying to kill you! Finish the job, girlfriend! Just like Beyonce did to evil Ali Larter after her dangerous stalking of, wait for it....Idris Elba!!! It's all connected, a circle! When you're escaping from a dangerous person. Or dog or gila monster or what have you. And said beast is rendered supine and out of sorts. Don't run. Use what you did to gain the upper hand to end it! Kill!!
#858 May 31 2018 at 1:59 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Classic Taraji P Henson, man.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#859 May 31 2018 at 5:52 PM Rating: Good
Repressed Memories
******
20,985 posts
I'm too busy reading my phone while driving to notice bumper stickers anyway.
#860 Jun 02 2018 at 3:39 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
284 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Classic Taraji P Henson, man.


Dude I tried to look up that trope on TV tropes. Maybe I suck but couldn't find it. Where scaredy-about-to-be-murdered-cats clock their nemeses in the head rendering them into unconsciousness then instead of finishing the ******* leave them there in order to EEEK and corral their broodspawn oh so scurred despite obviously they should not be scurred since they should have killed and killed and killed to ensure.

Jeffrey Dahmer is after me! I bop him on the chin with a crumpled receipt I'm carrying! Ah, that's over, he staggered just a little bit. I can now just sit an--OH NO I AM MURDERED AND DEFLESHED. Why didn't that chin bop end this?! I ask from my head and arms and liver. And I actually held a gun to his head but hey, didn't pull the trigger! Because the movie needed more minutes. Me with a gun but Dahmer looked a bit out of sorts a bit so certainly couldn't recov--OH DEAD I AM AND NOT EVEN VIA INCOMPETENT POLICE OFFICERS SENDING ME BACK TO HIM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c3MsSdt9JQ&list=PLMbs5C0TfzPLBMD9HMGOmkT8yiNx7XKoY
#861 Jun 04 2018 at 7:32 AM Rating: Good
*******
50,525 posts
Too Dumb To Live.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#862 Jun 04 2018 at 7:04 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
35,370 posts
Not really sure what you're talking about, um... but honestly, while I do tend to be annoyed by contrived character actions in scripts which appear to be solely about moving the plot along, no matter how absurd they are for the character to do, this isn't really one of them. Most "normal" people find it pretty hard to "finish someone off" (ie: kill someone), even if that person has been trying to kill them. I don't find the idea that the person would knock their assailant/captor/whatever out and then run to be a pretty reasonable representation of what most people would actually do in that sort of situation.

And that's before getting into the legal ramifications of killing a helpless person. Self defense doesn't allow you to kill someone once you've rendered that person unconscious. While I'm sure a temporary insanity plea would probably work in a scenario like that, you're still essentially committing murder at that point.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#863 Jun 08 2018 at 4:33 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
284 posts
gbaji wrote:
Not really sure what you're talking about, um... but honestly, while I do tend to be annoyed by contrived character actions in scripts which appear to be solely about moving the plot along, no matter how absurd they are for the character to do, this isn't really one of them. Most "normal" people find it pretty hard to "finish someone off" (ie: kill someone), even if that person has been trying to kill them. I don't find the idea that the person would knock their assailant/captor/whatever out and then run to be a pretty reasonable representation of what most people would actually do in that sort of situation.

And that's before getting into the legal ramifications of killing a helpless person. Self defense doesn't allow you to kill someone once you've rendered that person unconscious. While I'm sure a temporary insanity plea would probably work in a scenario like that, you're still essentially committing murder at that point.


If that's the case then there should be some kind of exposition where the mother or such about to be raped and murdered and also her children would go "I would first ponder the legal ramifications and whether this is indeed self defense and whether I could claim insanity as I stomp just one more time on my ex-husband's head who tried and will try to murder and rape me and my children and Gbaji even if that stomp is insufficient".

And uh....in the real world stomping someone once rendering to unconsciousness is often fatal. Being knocked out is very, very bad. Not as bad as stomping them into a paste. Surety.

Welcome to 3 decades ago. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087010/

--from Gbaji, who thinks cops are more justified shooting people who look bad, then wives shooting husbands who abuse and rape them and their kids and pets and are imminent threats telling them they will kill them.

Where are the SWAT militarization knock-downs due to 911 calls of domestic violence?

They flashbang to death babies. Shoot to death anyone answering a door. DRUGS. Essentially commerce, non-violent. Domestic violence--violent. Uh. GRRRRR. Sorry if strawmanning you, *******, or your ****** logic or priorities.

Edited, Jun 8th 2018 6:35am by Palpitus1
#864 Jun 12 2018 at 3:30 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
35,370 posts
Palpitus1 wrote:
If that's the case then there should be some kind of exposition where the mother or such about to be raped and murdered and also her children would go "I would first ponder the legal ramifications and whether this is indeed self defense and whether I could claim insanity as I stomp just one more time on my ex-husband's head who tried and will try to murder and rape me and my children and Gbaji even if that stomp is insufficient".


I was not talking about what may or may not be the thought process of the person, in that situation, right at that moment, but how the legal system may view those actions after the fact. Fair or not "finishing someone off" is pretty much automatically going to get you at least investigated, if not charged, with some form of voluntary manslaughter charge. It's not something most people will do, except under the most dire circumstances. And yeah, one of the question that will be invariably asked is "if he was helpless and on the ground, couldn't you have just run away"? My point is that criticizing actions of a character in a story for doing what would normally be assumed to be the correct course of action in that situation is a bit off. It's not odd at all. It's what most people will normally do.

Quote:
And uh....in the real world stomping someone once rendering to unconsciousness is often fatal. Being knocked out is very, very bad. Not as bad as stomping them into a paste. Surety.


Which is somewhat the point. Instead of criticizing the choice not to finish the person off as being "unrealistic", you should be pointing out how unrealistic the trope of the bad guy inevitably recovering from unconsciousness to continue to pursue the victim, apparently unaffected by the injury that knocked him out is. As you say, that person is likely to be seriously injured, and incredibly unlikely to do much of anything for *hours* after suffering such an injury.

Which, um... sorta goes to the whole "no need to finish him off". Just run to the authorities and have them pick him up, take him to a hospital, and charge him with this crimes. Killing the person in that situation will almost certainly result in the legal ramifications I mention above.

Quote:
Welcome to 3 decades ago. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087010/


Yup. Note that this is all about the legal case resulting from the action. Hence my point. In the story it's presented as a given that she has more or less no choice. She's done everything she can to deal with the situation legally. She's filed complaints. She's in an environment in which divorce or separation isn't as legally easy as it is now, and options for battered women were close to nil. A lot of our legal changes with regard to marriage exist precisely because of that scenario.

Today, a woman would have a much harder time making that same case. Not because we've somehow gone backwards socially or something, but because we've created so many options for women in this situation to help them get out of it.

Quote:
--from Gbaji, who thinks cops are more justified shooting people who look bad, then wives shooting husbands who abuse and rape them and their kids and pets and are imminent threats telling them they will kill them.


Drama much? Can we agree that the issue of domestic violence is far far more complex than that, and should not just be shoehorned into a simplistic "for or against" kind of thing?

Quote:
Where are the SWAT militarization knock-downs due to 911 calls of domestic violence?

They flashbang to death babies. Shoot to death anyone answering a door. DRUGS. Essentially commerce, non-violent. Domestic violence--violent. Uh. GRRRRR. Sorry if strawmanning you, *******, or your ****** logic or priorities.


You kinda answer your own question. The police are always in a tough spot with these issues. If they don't act strongly enough, they get accused of not caring, or not doing enough. If they act too strongly, they get accused of overreacting, arresting people who shouldn't be arrested, breaking up families unnecessarily, sending kinds to social services, etc. There's no one perfect answer for this. And there's always room for failure. Far too much room.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
1 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 Next »
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 0 All times are in CDT