Well, thankfully the roof is not on fire. But my microwave is. Or was. Sitting here quietly reading something or another when Jophiel Jr. came out of his room and said "What's all that smoke?!" Wondering "what the hell is he on about?", I walked into the kitchen to see a giant cloud of foul smelling smoke coming out of the microwave and the obvious smell of stuff actively burning. I hit it with the fire extingusher and opened windows, doors, etc. It's all settled now; I pulled the front vent off the microwave and peered inside and I guess the motor burnt out and caught fire or something. Given that I never checked the smoke detectors when I moved in here, had Young Jophiel not walked into the kitchen when he did, it could have been considerably worse. The microwave is (was) one of those "inset into the cabinets" type and it would have sucked to have the wood catch fire.
So check your smoke detectors and make sure you keep a fire extingusher in the kitchen. Ya never know.