Edit: If you are requesting a sticky for the FFXI main forum, Don't.
Since there seem to be alot of Sticky requests these days, it was pointed out that a sticky guide might be in order. So here is such a guide.
So you want a sticky for your corner of the forum. What now?
1. First, check your forum and see how many existing sticky threads you have. If it is more than 2 existing stickies, your chances of getting a sticky are signifigantly decreased.
2. If there are three stickies already, and you just have to have An_uber_thread_04 stickied, compile some of them, or add your thread to the existign ones. To compile two stickies, take the relevent sticky info from two stickied threads, put it together in a new post, and include the links to the origional threads, and credit to the origional posters. Then post the link here for review and stickying and de-stickying of the origionals. Compilation threads will almost always be stickied, no questions asked. be sure to let us know it is a compilation though.
3. If the sticky is for one of the main forums (EQ, WOW, EQ2, FFXI, etc.) the standards are generally more stringant.
O.k., I've jumped through your hoops now and done all that sillyness, and my sticky is submitted here as a sticky request. What happens now?
4. First, We take a look at the thread. Is it well written and formatted? Or if not well formatted does it contain enough information to make stickying it worthwhile? How many people have rated it positive? Negative?
5. Next, we look at who submitted it. Self submitted sticky requests are usually not stickied. it's kind of a nomination system. There are some exceptions, but they are rare.
6. Finally, we look at the forum. are there existing stickies? If not, then the sticky is pretty much automatic. the more stickies there are, the more scrutiny the thread gets before sticky.
Any questions? post them here. New sticky requests should be posted in a new thread, or they will tend to get lost.
Faq update 1.) There is no limit on how many stickies a particular person can have. If someone is really good at writing stickies and no one else wants the job, it is not unusual to see more than one sticky by a person. Sticky quality > posting name
Edited, Tue Jan 11 22:04:22 2005 by Kaolian
Edited, Tue Mar 21 01:39:36 2006 by Kaolian
Edited, Wed May 31 01:10:58 2006 by Kaolian
Edited, Apr 14th 2008 6:05pm by Kaolian
Edited, Dec 4th 2008 6:15pm by Kaolian