Yea Perl rocks. I used to use it a bit, but the regular expressions is what was always holding me back. I'm better at it now, so I probably should try it out again. Perl is basically the format of language I like, a bit BASIC, and a bit C when you need the detail / lower level functioning that BASIC doesn't provide. Mostly I used it on websites, as that's one that most that support any server-side programs support.
Oh, that was one of the other features of the search in my language was going to support. You could search for a long string, but automatically assign different parts to variables, with specified default values for not finding the string or even that exact part of the string. I've written the search function and tested it out in Assembly and either BASIC or C, I can't remember which I used for the high level languages I used to get the basic framework down. I may not made a working version in the higher level language either, since I always write in those when doing an involved Assembly function outline.
The cool thing about the old crappy program, is for most stuff, you only need 1 or 2 commands overhead, and 1 (and rarely 2) commands per column in a spreadsheet, so it's very fast to write something to do something quickly. EDIT: Perl is that way too, but again, I used to have trouble with regular expressions. It's the complicated stuff where it gets annoying, especially where you need to monitor states of the file you're parsing, as I didn't include any functions for that. But I'm thinking of editing it to at least be able to monitor one state using search triggers to change the state value.
I recently did a search for purchased AAs, and due to shrouding and monster missions, it didn't come out right the first time. I added hail cell to figure out the shrouding ones, but need another cell for the monster mission tasks, to be able to filter them out later as well.
Call me Brook today, 'cause I can't quit babbling!!
Yther Ore. Edited, Jan 27th 2012 4:36pm by Yther