Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2 3 4
Reply To Thread

SMN Perpetuation And MagianFollow

#1 Jul 05 2010 at 7:48 PM Rating: Decent
47 posts
Several things have brought this post to a head. I think I speak for most old players when I say these things.

First, we like when our accomplishments are permanent in the sense that they will not be taken away. Again, to use the WoW example, when a new update hits with new gear, they ninja-nerf the old gear to be worse. My friend was telling me how his one armor in WoW which had a -X% damage taken became -1/2 X % damage after a recent update in WoW. I feel this way about leveling summoner and how the dev team snuck in not 1, but 2 mp/tick perpetuation cost increases for all summoner pets for 75 to 80. My new level 80 summoner can no longer do things he once could because I am no longer able to keep my pets out. It's a ninja nerf in the worst way. Which leads me to my second point...

We like when our accomplishments are permanent in the sense that new content will not entirely outclass old content. We very much do not want WoW, where when a new expansion hits, regular monsters drop gear which is better than the old top-tier gear. I played FFXI for seven years under this belief, and the dev team has done well in the slow power creep. The Magian weapons are a huge power creep, the proverbial regular experience monster dropping better gear than the old top-tier gear. (Bahamut's Staff, and more recently Fay Crozier, anyone?) Sure, I can have the same overall perpetuation, but that requires I continue to do more grind. The dev team gave me an apple in the form of 75 summoner, then they took it back with this update, but offered the apple back if I did some more content. This is quite unpalpable. Which leads me to my last point...

It might not be so bad if the new Magian weapons were fun to get. However, as all endgame FFXI players know, the Magian weapons content is the biggest piece of sh*t in the history of this game. Apparently SE moved most of their dev team to FF14, and are actively trying to kill this game. The Magian content is horrible. I like FFXI's endgame grind because it various, Sea farming and gods for example. I like FFXI's endgame grind because it's challenging and requires skill. Even experience parties are more interesting and exciting than Magian breaking. Magian breaking is the worst content in the entire game by far due to its tediousness and capriciousness (weather anyone?). You want me to get 7 -5 perp staffs? That's ridiculous. Even playing many hours a day, that would take many many months of worthless content, not to mention precious inventory.

tl;dr I had free Fenrir and Garuda. Update took it away and said "You can have free Garuda and Fenrir back once you do these new Magian trials", but too bad Magian trials are the bane of FFXI existence.

So please, FFXI dev team, knock this ninja-nerfing off. Abandon Magian in its entirety. Make the game fun again and less drivel, as I am considering taking an extended break.

Edited, Jul 5th 2010 9:55pm by GerrardCapashen
#2 Jul 06 2010 at 12:25 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatard
*****
11,630 posts
Yea, they definitely need to fix perpetuation before they release XIV. It is the most ancient problem in the game, which is just ignored year after year. Sure, the problem will be gone NEXT update, when every SMN is 82SMN/41RDM and have 3 MP per tick personal refresh. But then the problem will sneak back around level 84 and 89 again, and unless you suddenly get refresh II on /RDM, then SMN will be terribly stupid to level the last 20 levels.

A job shouldn't become worse the higher you level it. You don't see PLDs get +X% damage taken each level. Perpetuation is nothing different. It is a penalty for leveling, and should be adjusted before any other level increases.

ESPECIALLY for spirits, who gain nothing new but get more expensive. Might as well just add 10 MP cost to all BLM spells each level you gain... ridiculous.

SMN is and will always remain the ultimate failure in the whole MMO history. The fact that it has remained so for close to a decade just makes it all the more lovely.
#3 Jul 06 2010 at 12:41 AM Rating: Decent
Jack of All Trades
******
29,110 posts
If you had to get SMN to 80 to realize that the job has increasing perp costs and how they can actually be an impediment toward doing things you could have done more easily with a lower perp cost, you really didn't think the job through well enough before you started leveling it.

Anyway, I do think the whole "being punished for leveling SMN" is bullcrap and ought to be addressed somehow, but I don't see what that really has to do with the magian trial system.

Quote:
I like FFXI's endgame grind because it various, Sea farming and gods for example.


I lol'd.

Any endgame activity, once you've done it enough for it to not be new anymore, becomes no different from all of the rest of the game, which is "farm X sh*t over and over until you get levels/gil/drops and become strong enough to start farming Y sh*t over and over". It's pretty much an RPG staple. Perhaps you're playing the wrong genre of game?

Quote:
Abandon Magian in its entirety.


How about no? I happen to enjoy the system. Not all of us are big endgamers and this gives those that are not something to do and work toward that's actually for the most part *doable*.

If you aren't willing to put in the work to stay up to date on new gear, that's your business, but don't drag the rest of us down along with you.
#4 Jul 06 2010 at 2:18 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
6,424 posts
GerrardCapashen wrote:
It might not be so bad if the new Magian weapons were fun to get. However, as all endgame FFXI players know, the Magian weapons content is the biggest piece of sh*t in the history of this game.

No, only the whining endgame players think that. There are some definitely some annoying trials, but completing them makes it all the sweeter. (I'm looking at you, mr.Self Destruct bomb and your 199 other buddies that need to die by my pets hands...)

GerrardCapashen wrote:
tl;dr I had free Fenrir and Garuda. Update took it away and said "You can have free Garuda and Fenrir back once you do these new Magian trials", but too bad Magian trials are the bane of FFXI existence.


Playing SMN means constantly catching up to perpetuation cost. And yes, that means that if you want to level to 80 AND still have free perpetuation that you will have to do the magian trials. I don't think SE will add lvl 80 elemental staves that woodworkers can craft... (If they do, the NQ will cost 2 million at the very least... due to the goldsmithers ofcourse)

GerrardCapashen wrote:
So please, FFXI dev team, knock this ninja-nerfing off. Abandon Magian in its entirety. Make the game fun again and less drivel, as I am considering taking an extended break.

The JP button is a myth.
____________________________
No PUP, no glory! <Inferno Claws [4563/3520]>

"Puppetmaster was our last best hope for peace. It failed.
Now it's our last best hope.. for victory!"
#5 Jul 06 2010 at 2:45 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
801 posts
yes, perpetuation cost should scale gradually as you level up SMN--but in this update, they really screwed it up. Previously perpetuation scaled gradually on a fairly steady schedule all the way up to 74. All of a sudden they crammed two tiers almost back to back at the last minute:

Carby: 54, 63, 72, 79, 80 (two back to back)

Fenrir: 59, 66, 73, 78, 80 (all of a sudden the pattern reduces by 1/2)

Diabolos/others: 68, 71, 74, 78, 80 (this is more like it, but should have been 77, not 78)

Elementals: 63, 67, 72, 77, 79, 80 (again... 1/2 stepped tier, then back to back??!!)

I could live with the new teirs between 77-79, but what is with immediately adding a new tier for ALL OF THEM again at 80??!!! They didnt' do this for ANY of the level caps prior to this.

Raist
#6 Jul 06 2010 at 11:13 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatard
*****
11,630 posts
Spirits should definitely not have increased in cost, considering they didn't even get the new spells added. It is like you are paying 2-3 more perpetuation to get +2 INT or something... imagine that on a BLM. -3 perpetuation, +2 INT, waist slot. Hurry and buy it before they run out! 2 mil each.
#7 Jul 06 2010 at 2:24 PM Rating: Good
****
5,570 posts
Mellowy wrote:
Spirits should definitely not have increased in cost, considering they didn't even get the new spells added.

Even if they get no new spells, the Spirit is still stronger at lvls 76 through 80 than it was at level 75 (higher HP, presumably higher base stats, better results in any calculations relying on level correction vs target mob, etc).

Do SMNs even bother keeping Spirits out? I thought they were just Elemental Siphon targets.
____________________________
Lyonheart, like Eorzia, will be reborn in FFXIV!

FFXI veteran (Lyonheart and Lakiskline of Lakshmi)
1/467 on signed HQ Weskit!!!
#8 Jul 06 2010 at 3:27 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
3,769 posts
Quote:
Yea, they definitely need to fix perpetuation before they release XIV.


SE said they fixed that problem already... by not putting any pets in FFXIV. Way to admit you seriously @#%^ed them up here, guys!
____________________________
Quote:
Maybe if we wait long enough, he'll tell us about how he walked barefoot uphill through snow both ways in Uleregand and defeated the evil Snoll Tzar with nothing but a stack of pebbles. Men were men back then. Mithra were men, too, but they don't talk about that.

Mellowy is awesome, now.
Quote:
I'm sorry. My hoovercraft is full of Summoners. As soon as I claim a thread, they just flood out and cover the whole place. Slippery suckers, those Summoners.
#9 Jul 06 2010 at 3:37 PM Rating: Default
Jack of All Trades
******
29,110 posts
Quote:
Do SMNs even bother keeping Spirits out? I thought they were just Elemental Siphon targets.


Most SMNs know better. A select few of them still do not.
#10 Jul 06 2010 at 3:51 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,171 posts
Quote:
SE said they fixed that problem already... by not putting any pets in FFXIV. Way to admit you seriously @#%^ed them up here, guys!


Actually seems more so a realization that pet jobs are more trouble than they are worth when the playerbase looks at raw damage only.
____________________________
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?111209
Mnk90 Whm90 Smn90 Blm90 Sam81 Pld60
Bastokan and proud!
#11 Jul 06 2010 at 6:05 PM Rating: Excellent
47 posts
Quote:
If you had to get SMN to 80 to realize that the job has increasing perp costs and how they can actually be an impediment toward doing things you could have done more easily with a lower perp cost, you really didn't think the job through well enough before you started leveling it.

Anyway, I do think the whole "being punished for leveling SMN" is bullcrap and ought to be addressed somehow, but I don't see what that really has to do with the magian trial system.
It's because the dev team feels that the perp increase is OK because the magian staffs can bring it back down to where it was. See OP post. The entire genre of MMO is indeed a rat race, but I prefer a slow moving target as opposed to being pulled back arbitrarily and capriciously. Yes, it doesn't necessarily make logical sense, but that's how I feel.

Quote:
If you had to get SMN to 80 to realize that the job has increasing perp costs and how they can actually be an impediment toward doing things you could have done more easily with a lower perp cost, you really didn't think the job through well enough before you started leveling it.

Anyway, I do think the whole "being punished for leveling SMN" is bullcrap and ought to be addressed somehow, but I don't see what that really has to do with the magian trial system.

Quote:
I like FFXI's endgame grind because it various, Sea farming and gods for example.


I lol'd.

Any endgame activity, once you've done it enough for it to not be new anymore, becomes no different from all of the rest of the game, which is "farm X sh*t over and over until you get levels/gil/drops and become strong enough to start farming Y sh*t over and over". It's pretty much an RPG staple. Perhaps you're playing the wrong genre of game?

I politely disagree with your assessment. If the game consisted of pushing the red button when a green light lit up, it would not be a fun game. Presumably you see the point I'm driving at, that yes every repeated activity may eventually become boring, but a sufficiently complex and nuanced activity survives a lot longer than blatant drivel. I stand by my point that the Magian system is a horrible hack, that it was quick for the dev team and was a "good" time suck for the players.

For example, I used to pull Dynamis in my old shell. Yes, it was repeating the same tasks over and over, both intra-run and run-to-run. However, there was nuance and subtlety to the pulling. It required skill that most people did not have in that shell, and to do it really well requires skill that most people do not have. I could easily make or break the run depending on what I did.

Moreover, Magian is ridiculously more tedious than even an experience points party. At least in an experience points party I can challenge myself to do better, to find harder mobs, to skillchain, carefully time my jump, high jump, super jump, weaponskills, and third eye on drg/sam.

All of that, from dynamis, to farming sea pops, to popping sea gods, to experience parties, all of that is immensely more interesting than "Wait for weather. Engage Easy Prey treant. Repeat 100x."

Can you imagine the amount of horrible work needed to get all 7 required 5 perp staffs, just to get back to where I was before the update? I referenced this in my OP post and else-thread that it may not make logical sense, but that's how human desires tend to work. A slow constantly moving target imparts a better feel of accomplishment than to be taken back 10 feet in the race every 12 feet.

Edited, Jul 6th 2010 8:19pm by GerrardCapashen
#12 Jul 06 2010 at 6:16 PM Rating: Excellent
47 posts
Quote:
Spirits should definitely not have increased in cost, considering they didn't even get the new spells added. It is like you are paying 2-3 more perpetuation to get +2 INT or something... imagine that on a BLM. -3 perpetuation, +2 INT, waist slot. Hurry and buy it before they run out! 2 mil each.
It fits perfectly their twisted logic. Take away their apple, aka give them 2 more perp cost across the board, but offer the apple back with new gear (from stupid content). As I mentioned else-thread, it's the worst kind of rat race. It's demoralizing. If I wanted the impermanentness of accomplishments, I'd play WoW.
#13 Jul 06 2010 at 7:32 PM Rating: Default
Jack of All Trades
******
29,110 posts
Quote:
I stand by my point that the Magian system is a horrible hack, that it was quick for the dev team and was a "good" time suck for the players.


That's great, but you know what? People also bitched about having to get Nirvana (SMN mythic) in order to get a staff with -1 more perp as well, which entails a whole helluva lot more work and investment and "time suck" than most of these trials do. And they all got told the same thing that I'm telling you now -- tough sh*t. Either do the work to stay up to date, or be happy with what you have.

Don't piss on everyone else's corn flakes just because you don't like yours.


Quote:
It's because the dev team feels that the perp increase is OK because the magian staffs can bring it back down to where it was.


See also: every other perp increase prior to 75, and other assorted gear you had to farm/buy in order to bring THAT increase back down. Why not complain about how hard Penance Robe is to make while you're at it?

Point is, you should have been used to this kind of thing by now. Similar pet job scenario: Yeah, it's bullsh*t that BST can lose claim on NMs when they charm new pets. But if you knew it was going to happen, why do you keep trying to solo NMs on BST?


Quote:
Moreover, Magian is ridiculously more tedious than even an experience points party. At least in an experience points party I can challenge myself to do better, to find harder mobs, to skillchain, carefully time my jump, high jump, super jump, weaponskills, and third eye on drg/sam.


Yeah, there's no such thing as finding ways to find/research/farm trial mobs more efficiently; you can only do that with VT-IT mobs, right?

Oh wait.


Quote:
Can you imagine the amount of horrible work needed to get all 7 required 5 perp staffs, just to get back to where I was before the update?


For one, no, 7 staves are not *required*. Do you think BLMs are making all six potency staves? The vast majority of them don't give a sh*t about any of them but thunder and maybe ice. If you feel like you have to do them all for completeness' sake, that's your issue, not the game's. Really, how often do you actually keep avatars out, and if you do, which ones are you actually keeping out? I highly doubt both your answers were "all the time" and "all of them".

For two, welcome to SMN. Again, you should have known all about the whole rising perp costs thing back at Dunes level, assuming you didn't just Korroloka it up all the way to 75-80. If you have issue with that, why did you level the job in the first place?
#14 Jul 06 2010 at 8:47 PM Rating: Good
47 posts
Quote:
Quote:
I stand by my point that the Magian system is a horrible hack, that it was quick for the dev team and was a "good" time suck for the players.

That's great, but you know what? People also bitched about having to get Nirvana (SMN mythic) in order to get a staff with -1 more perp as well, which entails a whole helluva lot more work and investment and "time suck" than most of these trials do. And they all got told the same thing that I'm telling you now -- tough sh*t. Either do the work to stay up to date, or be happy with what you have.
I think we can agree that the Relic and Mythic quests are the most tedious content of this game by far. It is a bad analogy to compare rather obscure content which was intended (by Word Of God) to be for a very small subset of the player base - relics and mythics - to the new content which is intended for everyone - Magian. Also, when they introduced Nirvana, they didn't increase all pet perpetuations by 1 like they did with this update.

Quote:
Don't piss on everyone else's corn flakes just because you don't like yours.
lolwut?

Quote:
Quote:
It's because the dev team feels that the perp increase is OK because the magian staffs can bring it back down to where it was.

See also: every other perp increase prior to 75, and other assorted gear you had to farm/buy in order to bring THAT increase back down. Why not complain about how hard Penance Robe is to make while you're at it?
I started this game back many years ago, but even at that time the level cap was 75. I leveled summoner several years after starting, and that was still several years ago. As such, your analogy is kind of flawed. The level cap increase is a big change, quite different fundamentally than the last 6-7 (?) of the game.

Also, your analogy to Penance Robe again misses my point that they purposefully ninja'd the perpetuation to be 2 more than what it should be by past patterns, and they added these new Magian weapons to make up for it. It's like treading water just to stay afloat which is vastly different than how Penance Robe worked in the last 7 (?) years of this game.

Quote:
Point is, you should have been used to this kind of thing by now. Similar pet job scenario: Yeah, it's bullsh*t that BST can lose claim on NMs when they charm new pets. But if you knew it was going to happen, why do you keep trying to solo NMs on BST?
Just like the MPK patch is bullsh*t, so this update is bullsh*t. However, I agree with your reasoning that if I can no longer solo mobs on SMN, then perhaps I should no longer try to solo mobs on SMN. This is kind of a straw man argument though as it really doesn't address my concerns.

Quote:
Quote:
Moreover, Magian is ridiculously more tedious than even an experience points party. At least in an experience points party I can challenge myself to do better, to find harder mobs, to skillchain, carefully time my jump, high jump, super jump, weaponskills, and third eye on drg/sam.

Yeah, there's no such thing as finding ways to find/research/farm trial mobs more efficiently; you can only do that with VT-IT mobs, right?

Oh wait.
Now you're just being contrary. Most people would agree there's a fundamental difference in entertainment between farming Easy Prey mobs under weather and trying to low man Kirin (to take two extremes). The difference lies in the challenge. It's more pronounced in me, but most people enjoy a game where there's a challenge more than simple repetitive motions where there is no challenge. It is a challenge to pull Dynamis without a wipe, and it is a challenge to use 7 Powder Boots pulling Dynamis Xarcabard in a desperate attempt to not sac pull again. It is not a challenge to kill 100 Easy Prey treants under some arbitrary weather. One is fun; one is busy work, and yes it's in the eye of the beholder. I presume that my position is the more popular, and either way this forum is the place for such feedback.

Quote:
Quote:
Can you imagine the amount of horrible work needed to get all 7 required 5 perp staffs, just to get back to where I was before the update?

For one, no, 7 staves are not *required*. Do you think BLMs are making all six potency staves? The vast majority of them don't give a sh*t about any of them but thunder and maybe ice. If you feel like you have to do them all for completeness' sake, that's your issue, not the game's. Really, how often do you actually keep avatars out, and if you do, which ones are you actually keeping out? I highly doubt both your answers were "all the time" and "all of them".
Ok. So replace 7 with 3 or so. It's still way too much drivel to get back to where I started. It also is again a straw man which avoids the root of my argument.

Quote:
For two, welcome to SMN. Again, you should have known all about the whole rising perp costs thing back at Dunes level, assuming you didn't just Korroloka it up all the way to 75-80. If you have issue with that, why did you level the job in the first place?
Ad hominem now? Actually, no, we didn't know about the perp cost rising. By the progressions we knew, we were clear for no more perpetuation increases for most of them, and instead we get not 1, but 2 across the board. Yes, perhaps this is a rehash of an old argument that perpetuation is retarded, that leveling summoner actually makes it worse, but it's made more acute by the intentional decision of the dev team to break past patterns to make leveling summoner worse until you completed the new content.

Edited, Jul 6th 2010 10:52pm by GerrardCapashen
#15 Jul 06 2010 at 11:00 PM Rating: Default
****
5,570 posts
If you think your SMN was better at 75 than it is at 76+ because of increased perpetuation cost, just delevel it to 75 and set yourself to merit mode. There's, it's like the update never happened. Problem fixed.
____________________________
Lyonheart, like Eorzia, will be reborn in FFXIV!

FFXI veteran (Lyonheart and Lakiskline of Lakshmi)
1/467 on signed HQ Weskit!!!
#16 Jul 07 2010 at 12:23 AM Rating: Good
Avatard
*****
11,630 posts
Or you could steal an account through third person software. All ways to avoid SMN are good ways. Even better if you can put the pain on someone else.
#17 Jul 07 2010 at 5:48 AM Rating: Default
Jack of All Trades
******
29,110 posts
Quote:
Actually, no, we didn't know about the perp cost rising. By the progressions we knew, we were clear for no more perpetuation increases for most of them, and instead we get not 1, but 2 across the board.


Please explain how? Based on what I'm seeing, the only avatar that might not have been "due" for an increase was Carbuncle.

Rising perp costs have been standard issue for your SMN ever since it was in diapers. There's no excuse for you not to have expected a higher perp with a level cap raise. I don't even play SMN and I expected one. Why couldn't you?

Is it cruel and unusual that they made it +2 perp by LV80 all across the board? Yeah. Does it have anything to do with magian trials? Not really, no. Keep your arguments straight.

Quote:
If you think your SMN was better at 75 than it is at 76+ because of increased perpetuation cost, just delevel it to 75 and set yourself to merit mode. There's, it's like the update never happened. Problem fixed.


Pretty much this. I happen to think BRD got kinda screwed in this update, so I'm leaving it at 75 for now and just using it as my merit/sync whore.
#18 Jul 07 2010 at 11:56 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
801 posts
good grief...and I and the OP the only ones that have noticed how the broke their perpetuation growth pattern? THAT is what the issue is, not the fact they increases it, but the fact that they DOUBLED UP on the increases compared to the normal progression:

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Avatar_Perpetuation_Cost

We are getting jacked up 2 points across the board inside of 2 levels on all avatars. This is a major break from the normal pattern. What happens if this trend continues all the way to 99?

It is going to force SMN to keep Avatar's Favor up just so they can afford to use avatars for anything besides just a quick buff or spike damage. This is a potential major nerf to SMN, which has already been crapped on enough over the years by the playerbase as little more than a cure battery for most of it's career.

Raist
#19 Jul 07 2010 at 2:52 PM Rating: Excellent
47 posts
Quote:
Quote:
If you think your SMN was better at 75 than it is at 76+ because of increased perpetuation cost, just delevel it to 75 and set yourself to merit mode. There's, it's like the update never happened. Problem fixed.


Pretty much this. I happen to think BRD got kinda screwed in this update, so I'm leaving it at 75 for now and just using it as my merit/sync whore.
Guys, I think you're missing the point of this forum. This forum is feedback and suggestions. It is not strategy guides. You're supposed to complain here (feedback) and preferably in a constructive way (suggestions). I believe I have done so.
#20 Jul 07 2010 at 2:58 PM Rating: Good
47 posts
Quote:
Rising perp costs have been standard issue for your SMN ever since it was in diapers. There's no excuse for you not to have expected a higher perp with a level cap raise. I don't even play SMN and I expected one. Why couldn't you?
I believe my contention was more complex and subtle than that. First, it was that they jacked it up 1 higher on all of the pets than should be expected by past patterns, and 2 more for carby. This is a naked rebalancing, and sort of a nerf, designed specifically to force summoners to get the new Magian perp staffs. They decided to take away summoner's power which it once had until it completed the new content, which put it back right where it started. I object to this because treading water aka this brand of rat race feels bad for the reasons laid out in the OP post and else-thread, and I object to it because the other jobs actually get cool benefits overall from their weapons where summoner at best gets months of sh*tty content to be back to where we started. Also, as alluded to just now, I think that the Magian update is the worst thing to ever happen to this game because its content is horribly unfun.

Edited, Jul 7th 2010 5:00pm by GerrardCapashen
#21 Jul 07 2010 at 3:58 PM Rating: Excellent
The perp increase is somewhat ridiculous, I am surprised there are people who disagree. Of course we expected an increase at some point, but if you look at the pattern up to 75 it remains constant, in this update the patten changed dramatically adding two perpetuation on each avatar between 76-80 when if the pattern had remained constant there would have been... none.

Personally I am kind of fond of the Magian system, and I don't have many complaints about it; it is rather tedious, but if its a choice between doing something tedious or never getting good gear because I am not in a large successful EG shell I pick doing something tedious.

That aside though Summoners were, once again, kind of screwed over. It seems you acknowledge that point at least, so really all you're doing is telling someone who is coming to the feedback forum to give feedback on the matter a hard time because he should be used to summoners being screwed over by now. Aside from being a bad argument, it seems kind of like trolling.
____________________________
Snow Legacy of Kaiburr Crystal
Ashem of Valefor, formerly Asriel of Kujata
>>>--------->
#22 Jul 07 2010 at 4:08 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatard
*****
11,630 posts
Quote:
Rising perp costs have been standard issue for your SMN ever since it was in diapers. There's no excuse for you not to have expected a higher perp with a level cap raise. I don't even play SMN and I expected one. Why couldn't you?


If you double check your sources, you'll notice that perpetuation increases by level was a 2002-2003 design decision. 2004-2010 was the period they had to pay attention and notice it was a bad decision. There really is no excuse for making the same error again just because you made it in the past.

And the least they could have done would have been to make Favors -perpetuation increase with every second perpetuation increase as well. So at 80 it should be -3 on favors.
#23 Jul 07 2010 at 4:32 PM Rating: Default
Jack of All Trades
******
29,110 posts
Quote:
good grief...and I and the OP the only ones that have noticed how the broke their perpetuation growth pattern? THAT is what the issue is, not the fact they increases it, but the fact that they DOUBLED UP on the increases compared to the normal progression:


No, you're not the only ones that noticed. I've already said that the increases on perp were a little crazy. I'm saying three things:

1) This has nothing to do with magian trials; keep your arguments straight
2) You should have expected *some* increase in perp with a level cap raise
3) If you're not willing to put in the work for magian trials, you don't deserve the better gear. Some of this stuff is a lot easier to obtain than previous improvements on gear, such as Nirvana. Either deal with it, live with what you've got, or just stay at 75.


Quote:
If you double check your sources, you'll notice that perpetuation increases by level was a 2002-2003 design decision. 2004-2010 was the period they had to pay attention and notice it was a bad decision. There really is no excuse for making the same error again just because you made it in the past.


Where exactly is SE admitting that perp was a bad decision? Maybe we think it is.

I'm sorry, but when I bother to research stuff I only research the facts, not possible perceived player/SE beliefs and interpretations at some point back in time.
#24 Jul 07 2010 at 5:41 PM Rating: Excellent
Well let's be honest here, when has SE ever acknowledged making any mistake? I can't recall them ever having done so, though I can think of quite a few mistakes they've made. Just because the company never admitted it was a mistake doesn't mean it wasn't one.

I agree with you about magian, its good content, and I don't think it should go away. But how could you possibly not think that adding even more perpetuation is a bad idea? or at least wish they'd raise it more slowly? And what purpose does it serve summoners or the game population in general? Why are you so adamantly in support of doubling up on summoner perpetuation?
____________________________
Snow Legacy of Kaiburr Crystal
Ashem of Valefor, formerly Asriel of Kujata
>>>--------->
#25 Jul 07 2010 at 5:48 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
***
3,636 posts
I'd be okay with increasing perpetuation costs if they simultaneously added more -perp gear that was relatively obtainable and could counteract the increasing costs. But it hasn't happened :/
____________________________
http://ereblog.livejournal.com/
Erecia and Ereblog are BACK, baby!
#26 Jul 07 2010 at 5:57 PM Rating: Good
47 posts
Quote:
I'd be okay with increasing perpetuation costs if they simultaneously added more -perp gear that was relatively obtainable and could counteract the increasing costs. But it hasn't happened :/
They have. It's called Magian. Or so goes the devil's advocate position.
#27 Jul 07 2010 at 6:05 PM Rating: Good
47 posts
Quote:
Quote:
good grief...and I and the OP the only ones that have noticed how the broke their perpetuation growth pattern? THAT is what the issue is, not the fact they increases it, but the fact that they DOUBLED UP on the increases compared to the normal progression:

No, you're not the only ones that noticed. I've already said that the increases on perp were a little crazy. I'm saying three things:

1) This has nothing to do with magian trials; keep your arguments straight
This has everything to do with Magian. It is no coincidence that in the last 4-5 months, we have seen an increase of exactly 2 to the perpetuation of all smn pets and an exactly 2 increase to the perp gear that is "reasonably obtainable" (aka not Nirvana). It is a blatant play at keeping players by giving them busy work, and sh*tty busy work at that. I prefer not having accomplishments ripped out from under me, nor having to pay a upkeep to just keep my head above water. I want to play this game when it's convenient and not backpeddle for it.

Quote:
2) You should have expected *some* increase in perp with a level cap raise
Ok...? Doesn't change the fact that it's still retarded, so we'll mention it again here, as feedback, in the feedback and suggestions forum, with the suggestion "don't have it so leveling a summoner makes it worse than before it leveled, and offsetting it with new gear does not make it ok" in the feedback and suggestions forum.

Quote:
3) If you're not willing to put in the work for magian trials, you don't deserve the better gear. Some of this stuff is a lot easier to obtain than previous improvements on gear, such as Nirvana. Either deal with it, live with what you've got, or just stay at 75.
That's just it. My argument is it's not better gear. When I get the new Magian stuff and level 80, I'll be almost right back where I was before the update at level 75. My pets will cost the same amount, they'll be just as sh*tty or sh*ttier compared to other jobs, and I'll lose inventory on it.

Also, your continued implications that Nirvana is reasonably obtainable is laughable and outrageous.

Edited, Jul 7th 2010 8:54pm by GerrardCapashen
#28 Jul 07 2010 at 6:58 PM Rating: Default
Jack of All Trades
******
29,110 posts
Quote:
It is no coincidence that in the last 4-5 months, we have seen an increase of exactly 2 to the perpetuation of all smn pets and an exactly 2 increase to the perp gear that is "reasonably obtainable" (aka not Nirvana).


Yeah, how unusual that would be for a level cap raise to introduce both higher perp costs and new perp gear. Definitely a conspiracy. Sounds a lot like, idk... pretty much all your previous levels? Again, how could you have not seen this coming?

Quote:
That's just it. My argument is it's not better gear. When I get the new Magian stuff and level 80, I'll be almost right back where I was before the update at level 75. My pets will cost the same amount, they'll be just as sh*tty or sh*ttier compared to other jobs, and I'll lose inventory on it.


Sounds like better gear to me, otherwise you wouldn't be whining about not being willing to put forth the work toward having it.

Again, if you don't like the idea of higher perp, don't level past 75. Seeing you blabber about your "sh*tty" pets again makes me wonder why you even bothered leveling the job in the first place.
#29 Jul 07 2010 at 7:04 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
801 posts
it should also be noted that the final Magian -perp. staves are in some ways worse than the previously used HQ Elemental staves. All the elemental staves boost stats, accuracy/potency of spells of the same element, and also elemental resistances.

Also, Yama's is a level 80 item. What about when you have to level synch? Is the perpetuation going to scale down? I doubt it (I've put xp on hold trying to get the dark staff done before I ding 80 SMN). So...we may still have to have our elementals handy for situational use, even if we complete the mind-numbing task of getting a Yama for each avatar. There goes a big chunk of our inventory space....

Personally...I'm likely only going to do the dark staff since I use Fenrir so much....will just have to wait and see what happens with future level caps I guess.

Raist

Edited, Jul 7th 2010 9:10pm by BDHERTZER
#30 Jul 07 2010 at 7:17 PM Rating: Excellent
47 posts
Quote:
Quote:
It is no coincidence that in the last 4-5 months, we have seen an increase of exactly 2 to the perpetuation of all smn pets and an exactly 2 increase to the perp gear that is "reasonably obtainable" (aka not Nirvana).


Yeah, how unusual that would be for a level cap raise to introduce both higher perp costs and new perp gear. Definitely a conspiracy.
If by conspiracy, you mean a blatant an obvious ploy to keep players busy with sh*tty new content to merely retain their current power, then yes.

Quote:
Sounds a lot like, idk... pretty much all your previous levels? Again, how could you have not seen this coming?
Non Sequitur and incorrect. Your point is again irrelevant to my feedback and suggestions (which I might again remind you that this is the feedback and suggestions forum), which are, to repeat:

It's highly aggravating to have a certain power, to be able to kill certain monsters, and have a patch take that power away. I'm sure the dev team thinks this increase in perpetuation is OK because of the new gear. Arguably summoner has always been like this, and it's still as aggravating then as it is now, that is highly aggravating.

Not leveling is a no-option, a pitiful rebuke which deserves no further mention.

I also want to draw your attention to that this is a characteristic which is specific to summoner. No other job, when it levels, loses the ability to solo monsters which it could have soloed previously, or perform normal game activities which it could have done previously. When my dragoon levels, my armor is just as good, and my ability to do all of which I was previously capable have not be negatively impacted in any way.

Moreover, the dev team further aggravated this by changing past patterns of perpetuation costs, increasing it abnormally.

So, to answer you hypothetical and troll question "Again, how could you have not seen this coming?", I could not have seen the double perp cost increase coming because it broke all past patterns.

Again, that this is aggravating and unwanted goes without mention. However, to be clear, this just further exacerbates an unwanted game mechanic which is specific to summoner, which gives a negative interest to leveling, which makes summoner quite distinct amongst the FFXI jobs, which they further aggravate by increasing the penalty even moreso than past patterns. I assume again the dev team feels entitled to do this because they added new gear to offset this cost. I feel this is not for the aforementioned reasons.

Finally, the worst part about all of this in my humble opinion is that this new content, Magian, is much worse than alternative content I could be using, such as Einherjar, Walk Of Echos, Abyssea (sp), and basically all other content in the game.

Quote:
Quote:
That's just it. My argument is it's not better gear. When I get the new Magian stuff and level 80, I'll be almost right back where I was before the update at level 75. My pets will cost the same amount, they'll be just as sh*tty or sh*ttier compared to other jobs, and I'll lose inventory on it.

Sounds like better gear to me, otherwise you wouldn't be whining about not being willing to put forth the work toward having it.

Again, if you don't like the idea of higher perp, don't level past 75.
And again, saying that the intended course of action is to not level to 80 is absurd.
Quote:
Seeing you blabber about your "sh*tty" pets again makes me wonder why you even bothered leveling the job in the first place.
And again, what forum are you posting in? Repeat with me: "feedback and suggestions". Take a moment to ponder its meaning.

Edited, Jul 7th 2010 9:28pm by GerrardCapashen
#31 Jul 07 2010 at 7:34 PM Rating: Good
47 posts
Quote:
Personally I am kind of fond of the Magian system, and I don't have many complaints about it; it is rather tedious, but if its a choice between doing something tedious or never getting good gear because I am not in a large successful EG shell I pick doing something tedious.
Meant as a completely non-offensive observation: WoW might be the game for you. Presumably, you'll never be hardcore, so the hardcore people will always have better gear than you, but with each new patch releasing better gear dropped off random mobs which is better than old top tier gear, the difference between you and hardcore players may be less pronounced.

I like how FFXI has always been about the group mechanic. They're going away from their roots now, which I could stand perhaps, but the solo content of Magian is still atrocious beyond all measure. Solo does not imply "must kill 1000s of Easy Prey mobs under arbitrary and capricious conditions". They could have implemented actual fun content, like the level 20 avatar fights, or the content for Evoker's Ring.

Edited, Jul 7th 2010 9:38pm by GerrardCapashen
#32 Jul 07 2010 at 7:44 PM Rating: Default
Jack of All Trades
******
29,110 posts
Quote:
If by conspiracy, you mean a blatant an obvious ploy to keep players busy with sh*tty new content to merely retain their current power, then yes.


Again, if you don't like what you've gotten, don't level past 75.

You've KNOWN for a while now that SMN is a job that potentially punishes you for leveling it. There is no excuse for ignorance now.

Quote:
It's highly aggravating to have a certain power, to be able to kill certain monsters, and have a patch take that power away.


Except nothing was taken away. You gave it away by leveling further when you should have expected higher perp costs.

Quote:
Not leveling is a no-option, a pitiful rebuke which deserves no further mention.


Then deal with having to work harder to maintain your perp, regardless of whatever method it is in (endgame gear, rare/ex drops, trials, etc.) This is not going to change. Either you will need to change your attitude, or change your job.

Quote:
And again, what forum are you posting in? Repeat with me: "feedback and suggestions". Take a moment to ponder its meaning.


Yeah I know. I'm giving you some feedback and suggesting that part of your feedback sucks. (Namely, the whole "get rid of magian trials" bit.)

I don't like Salvage and the work it entails to get something I want. You don't see me clamoring to get it removed from the game for that reason.
#33 Jul 07 2010 at 8:01 PM Rating: Excellent
47 posts
Quote:
Quote:
If by conspiracy, you mean a blatant an obvious ploy to keep players busy with sh*tty new content to merely retain their current power, then yes.

Again, if you don't like what you've gotten, don't level past 75.

You've KNOWN for a while now that SMN is a job that potentially punishes you for leveling it. There is no excuse for ignorance now.
Still ignoring that they "ninja-ed" it to be higher than past patterns.

Quote:
Quote:
Not leveling is a no-option, a pitiful rebuke which deserves no further mention.

Then deal with having to work harder to maintain your perp, regardless of whatever method it is in (endgame gear, rare/ex drops, trials, etc.) This is not going to change. Either you will need to change your attitude, or change your job.
So hostile. Where's the love?

Also, I would think that the entire point of this forum is so things might perhaps change.

I would remind you that this "constantly increasing perpetuation" has largely been a think of the past, more than 7 years ago. The cap has been constant, and consequently the the perp cost has been constant for over 7 years. This punishment you speak of which summoners endure didn't really exist for nearly all of the American release, and nearly the entire history of the game itself. Leveling to 75 is by no means a trivial feat, but it took me less than 4 months to get summoner from 1 to 75, and I played on 75 summoner for many years. For the majority of my playtime on summoner, I did not experience this "ever increasing perpetuation". Thus I also refute your argument on this ground.

Quote:
Quote:
And again, what forum are you posting in? Repeat with me: "feedback and suggestions". Take a moment to ponder its meaning.

Yeah I know. I'm giving you some feedback and suggesting that part of your feedback sucks. (Namely, the whole "get rid of magian trials" bit.)

I don't like Salvage and the work it entails to get something I want. You don't see me clamoring to get it removed from the game for that reason.
Perhaps, if you phrased the criticism in that light earlier, you might be less of a jackass, and you might actually get your point across and thus be efficacious. The alternative, of course, is to continue being a jackass and trolling.

I also don't think you've thought this through carefully. Are you suggesting that all content should be easily obtained? Are you suggesting there shouldn't be content with varying degrees of difficulty and work required? For example, I personally entertain no notion that I will ever get a relic or mythic. This does not lower my enjoyment of the game. However, to reduce all difficulty to the lowest common denominator would destroy the economy and destroy this game.

As I mentioned else-thread, this is also mostly irrelevant to my critique of Magian. My main problem with Magian is not its difficulty per se. I'm not suggesting it should require all the effort and work of Salvage. I'm merely suggesting that the content be at least slightly interesting, such as again the level 20 avatar fights, the evoker's ring content, the artifact armor quests, or any other piece of content in the game, solo or group.

Also, please don't cite Nirvana again. That misses the point that Nirvana is only for the elite of the elite, it is not standard content, and it is not really factored into balancing by the dev team. Whereas Magian is considered standard content, it is expected that most people will do it, and it is factored into the balancing by the dev team. If it's obscure content, it matters less if it's sh*tty. If it's quote unquote required content, and if it's sh*tty, like Magian, then it matters a whole lot more. In that regard, while the content to get a relic is worse than the content to get a Magian weapon, the Magian weapon is much more standard content, much more expected to be done, and much less obscure, and thus Magian is an overall worse design choice for this game. Elite players should be given content which is very repetitive, as there is nothing else which will hold there interest for the same dev team investment. However, the common player base, to which Magian is targeted, and which is a larger portion of the player base, should be given more dev team investment for better content, not this autogenerated garbage.

Edited, Jul 7th 2010 10:30pm by GerrardCapashen
#34 Jul 07 2010 at 8:30 PM Rating: Good
47 posts
I still think you're missing some of the nuance of my feedback, that there is a problem specific to summoner, and the dev team decided to aggravate the problem moreso by increasing the perp cost more than past patterns. The analog would be for warrior to get -4 attack each level, and a new Magian weapon which gave +20 attack more than any other option. I think that is a fair comparison. Moreover, to complete the comparison, for a new update, the dev team decides to make the attack penalty -8 per level, but they give war a new Magian weapon to exactly make up for it, but every other job retained their power through the update, and the new gear actually increased their power instead of keeping it steady.

Thus far, your repeated reply can be summed up as "suck it up bitch", but the very nature of this forum allows the opportunity for change. When confronted with the nature of this forum, you replied with a diversion, a straw man argument, that my complaining about the perp cost problem is somehow analogous to saying we should remove hard content we don't like, which is entirely unrelated to the summoner specific problem perp problem which brought forth your repeated "suck it up bitch" replies. I'm not sure if this is purposeful trolling, or just the result of a short attention span. Either way, my patience is wearing thin, and I'm sure my target audience will either get it by now or not.

Perhaps it's my fault for muddying the waters by bringing up several topics in one thread, but it is quite hard to untangle them, so I still think I made the right decision. Perhaps Fynlar, if you can take your head out of your ass, you might see this.

Edited, Jul 7th 2010 10:39pm by GerrardCapashen
#35 Jul 07 2010 at 9:04 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
801 posts
I think a better analogy would be to use BLM or RDM, seeing as his profile shows he hasn't leveled SMN to a point where perpetuation really kicks in, but he has leveled BLM and RDM.

The average perpetuation pattern has accelerated by almost 5% to 9% faster across 80 levels vs. the previous pattern had at the 75 cap:

Carby: >72, once every 8.00 levels
@80, once every 7.27 levels 9.1% increase

Fenrir: >73, once every 6.64 levels
@80, once every 6.15 levels 7.4% increase

Diabolos/ >74, once every 5.69 levels
Others @80, once every 5.33 levels 6.3% increase

Elementals: >72, once every 4.00 levels
@80, once every 3.81 levels 4.75% increase


Now, lets make this a BLM and RDM issue. You've played for years with all your spells costing the same amount. Now all of a sudden, you break a level cap and level up. You picked up two new spells, but they cost a lot to use. But I get new Magic Burst Bonus, and more INT/MND to work with so my old spells are more powerful/accurate now under the right conditions. But wait...wtf? all my previous spells are suddenly costing me more to use them??!! Oh, cool... there's magian trial weapons that will offset it. But...I have to do one weapon for each element to cover all my spells. Oh well... time to grind the hunt lists.

....

....


All these mobs aren't mobs everyone normally XP's on at their levels. Gotta form parties specifically to hunt these lists, or grind it solo.


Whew.... weeks later, I have a full set of staves to offset the new MP costs...but...they only work at 80+ and I can't use them in level synch. Good thing I still have my HQ elemental staves....oh crap....just realized I don't get the MACC/MAB and resistance bumps from the Yama Staves that I got from my elemental staves....

<Forum post>
What's up SE? Why are you making us jump through so many hoops just to maintain the same efficiency on our jobs? Couldn't you have just given us one weapon to offset the new MP Cost across the board? You gave us one with the Fey Weapons, but this new tweak is stronger than that weapon offsets. Why not give us another tier of the same type of weapon with Magian?

<reply on forums>
If you don't like it, don't level the job.



That's it. No more feeding the trolls on this issue...

Raist
#36 Jul 07 2010 at 9:49 PM Rating: Default
Jack of All Trades
******
29,110 posts
Quote:
Still ignoring that they "ninja-ed" it to be higher than past patterns.


/sigh
Again, I'm not ignoring that. If anything, you keep ignoring the fact that I'm recognizing it...

What I am saying is that it has nothing to do with magian trials. If you think the system is sh*tty, that's your business, but what you're basically saying is "WAAAAHHHHHH ITS NOT FAIR THAT I HAVE TO DO SOMETHING I DONT LIKE TO STAY COMPETITIVE" and what I'm basically saying is, yeah, well, that's how progression works, son.

Having to do extra work to maintain the same perp cost you had at 75 is par for the course and should have been expected. I had a harder time soloing on 27 SMN than I did at 25-26 because I no longer had a free Carby at that point. Even though I think that's a flawed way for the job to work, the fact is that's how it works. Them's the breaks. Same bloody deal. If you aren't used to that kind of thing by 75, I have to wonder if you were actually paying any attention at all to the job you were leveling.


Quote:
Also, please don't cite Nirvana again.


Please don't cite magian trials again, then. It has nothing to do with your argument against the perp system.

By your own admission, this is just a case of you not wanting to put the work in, not unlike me not wanting to put the work in for a Morrigan's Coat, or anyone else not wanting to put the work in for a Nirvana. This doesn't warrant a removal of content from the game just because you don't like it or don't have the balls to get it done, regardless of how difficult or tedious it is.


Quote:
I also don't think you've thought this through carefully. Are you suggesting that all content should be easily obtained? Are you suggesting there shouldn't be content with varying degrees of difficulty and work required?


I'm suggesting to you to keep your arguments straight. I've said this already.


Quote:
I still think you're missing some of the nuance of my feedback, that there is a problem specific to summoner, and the dev team decided to aggravate the problem moreso by increasing the perp cost more than past patterns. The analog would be for warrior to get -4 attack each level, and a new Magian weapon which gave +20 attack more than any other option.


/sigh
Again, this is not a problem specific to magian trials; it is specific to SMN. SMN has been getting increased perp costs since level 1. You could say the same damned thing about ANY new method of -perp gear regardless of what it comes from or how hard it is to get. It is meaningless to the argument.


Quote:
that my complaining about the perp cost problem is somehow analogous to saying we should remove hard content we don't like


I'm not making any "analogy" with that; I'm referencing it because that's exactly what you said. "Abandon Magian in its entirety."


Quote:
<Forum post>
What's up SE? Why are you making us jump through so many hoops just to maintain the same efficiency on our jobs? Couldn't you have just given us one weapon to offset the new MP Cost across the board? You gave us one with the Fey Weapons, but this new tweak is stronger than that weapon offsets. Why not give us another tier of the same type of weapon with Magian?

<reply on forums>
If you don't like it, don't level the job.


Again, I'm already holding off on leveling my BRD because I don't like what it has received in this update (and BRD isn't even a job that necessarily got nerfed by reaching a higher level). I have a hard time feeling sorry for anyone who feels like they "need" to get to 80 in some way, because I've never really been fond of anyone who doesn't understand what the term "need" means.

If you truly don't get anything useful out of being higher level SMN (which is apparently the argument being made here, since the OP is talking about having to expend more effort to remain more or less "the same" at 80 as he was at 75), then why exactly is "not leveling to 80" not an option?
#37 Jul 07 2010 at 10:32 PM Rating: Good
47 posts
Quote:
Quote:
Still ignoring that they "ninja-ed" it to be higher than past patterns.

/sigh
Again, I'm not ignoring that. If anything, you keep ignoring the fact that I'm recognizing it...
What I am saying is that it has nothing to do with magian trials.
Let's try to find some common ground. Please stop as soon as you disagree. You do agree that they ninja-ed the perp cost to be higher than expected, right? You do agree that the dev team specifically planned both of these changes in conjunction, one relying on the other, right? Specifically, you do agree that a balancing decision was reached by the dev team which jacked the perp cost up abnormally, but offset it by the new Magian staffs, in order to result in more busy work by the summoners to be powerful, but to end in a state where they were not more powerful than where they started? (Not trying to be pejorative here about busy work. Just stating facts.) Thus, you do agree that the new Magian perp staffs are intricately tied to the ninja-ed perp cost increase, right?

Quote:
If you think the system is sh*tty, that's your business, but what you're basically saying is "WAAAAHHHHHH ITS NOT FAIR THAT I HAVE TO DO SOMETHING I DONT LIKE TO STAY COMPETITIVE" and what I'm basically saying is, yeah, well, that's how progression works, son.
While partially true, I think this is a mischaracterization. I am all for new content, and yes you have to do that new content to stay competitive. There is another, mostly orthogonal, point which I'm trying to make, and that is that purposefully making the class even worse when leveled, but making up for it in new content, is
1- specific to summoner,
2- worse than past patterns, aka has some origin to this update,
3- and is fundamentally different than doing new content to stay competitive with others doing new content.

Instead, it's doing new content on 80 summoner to be competitive vs someone who did no new content on 75 summoner. I still think you're just being contrary when you claim that it's a reasonable state of affairs when leveling makes your character worse. You can cite that it has been this way in the past, but that is immaterial to this point. Past conditions are irrelevant on the desirability of an outcome.

It's also unfair to summoner vs other jobs which do not need to do this busy work to stay competitive vs their level 75 counterparts. (At least most of them. I'm unaware of the brd stuff. I'll have to look into that when I'm not lazy.)

Quote:
By your own admission, this is just a case of you not wanting to put the work in, not unlike me not wanting to put the work in for a Morrigan's Coat, or anyone else not wanting to put the work in for a Nirvana. This doesn't warrant a removal of content from the game just because you don't like it or don't have the balls to get it done, regardless of how difficult or tedious it is.
No. The fundamental subtle point made continuously throughout my posts, starting in the OP, is that there is a difference between staying competitive with other players doing new content, and staying competitive vs past behavior. It is distinctly unsatisfying to be able to do something one day, then to have it taken away. (And yes, I still think you're just being contrary if you think it's reasonable that I should just not level. etc etc)

My point is that someone, if they take a break for a year, should not be better at old content than if they partook in new content. My 75 summoner will be better in some ways compared to my new summoner who merely partook in new content, aka to get to level 80. This is standard content. Content should not make you worse, especially something as intrinsic as leveling. That's just counter to so many intuitions and desires.

Edited, Jul 8th 2010 1:15am by GerrardCapashen
#38 Jul 07 2010 at 10:37 PM Rating: Excellent
47 posts
Allow me to repeat the relevant quotes for others' reading benefit, and your's, in chronological order:
Fynlar wrote:
Seeing you blabber about your "sh*tty" pets again makes me wonder why you even bothered leveling the job in the first place.
Here you argue that I'm a bitch about summoner, and that I should not be complaining about summoner.

Gerrard wrote:
And again, what forum are you posting in? Repeat with me: "feedback and suggestions". Take a moment to ponder its meaning.
I suggest that this is the place to complain and bitch about a summoner specific issue.

Fynlar wrote:
Yeah I know. I'm giving you some feedback and suggesting that part of your feedback sucks. (Namely, the whole "get rid of magian trials" bit.)

I don't like Salvage and the work it entails to get something I want. You don't see me clamoring to get it removed from the game for that reason.
Here you equate complaining about summoner balance with removing Magian or Salvage from the game. Let me remind you this is a direction continuation of the discussion, and you divert it completely to a straw man.

Gerrard wrote:
I also don't think you've thought this through carefully. Are you suggesting that all content should be easily obtained? Are you suggesting there shouldn't be content with varying degrees of difficulty and work required?
In this portion, I ignore that you made a straw man, ignore the original discussion, and argue your new point.

Fynlar wrote:
I'm suggesting to you to keep your arguments straight. I've said this already.
Here you drop the second argument and invent an insult at me. It is you who cannot keep his arguments straight, which is however immaterial to the broader points I'm trying to make. Allow me to reiterate:

1- Summoner perpetuation progression in its entirety is undesirable as a summoner player. (Past or current game mechanics are irrelevant to this statement.)

2- Ninja-ing the perp cost more than past progression is undesirable as a summoner player. It is a summoner specific nerf where none is required. It was specifically introduced in this new patch, and while sharing mechanics with older content, represents an entirely new nerf.

3- And no, adding new Magian weapons does not make up for point 2. Other jobs don't need to get their new Magian weapons to make up for a specific, intentional nerf.

4- Also, Magian content is horribly retarded, the worst content in the game, least fun by far, and should not be expanded at all.

Edited, Jul 8th 2010 1:01am by GerrardCapashen
#39 Jul 07 2010 at 10:47 PM Rating: Good
47 posts
Here, you conveniently snip the relevant portion of my argument.
Quote:
Quote:
I still think you're missing some of the nuance of my feedback, that there is a problem specific to summoner, and the dev team decided to aggravate the problem moreso by increasing the perp cost more than past patterns. The analog would be for warrior to get -4 attack each level, and a new Magian weapon which gave +20 attack more than any other option.
/sigh
Again, this is not a problem specific to magian trials; it is specific to SMN. SMN has been getting increased perp costs since level 1. You could say the same damned thing about ANY new method of -perp gear regardless of what it comes from or how hard it is to get. It is meaningless to the argument.
You snipped the context of the quote, doing me a disservice. Allow me to reproduce the rest of the snipped paragraph.
Quote:
Moreover, to complete the comparison, for a new update, the dev team decides to make the attack penalty -8 per level, but they give war a new Magian weapon to exactly make up for it, but every other job retained their power through the update, and the new gear actually increased their power instead of keeping it steady.
Specifically, "to complete the comparison", as in the snipped portion is incomplete. Let me repeat argument which I made else-thread, else you misquote me.

The argument goes that the dev team surely considered the ninja-ed increase to perpetuation at the same time and in conjunction with the new Magian perp staffs. They felt it was reasonable to apply this summoner specific, patch specific, new nerf, because there was a remedy to this nerf in the form of the new Magian perp staffs. That is the connection between perpetuation and Magian.

Note that this is the feedback and suggestions forum, so it makes sense to frame the feedback and suggestions in light of this obvious and intentional game balancing decision, the decision "the additional perpetuation which breaks past patterns is ok because of the new Magian perp staffs", with which I disagree.

Edited, Jul 8th 2010 1:17am by GerrardCapashen
#40 Jul 07 2010 at 10:51 PM Rating: Good
47 posts
Quote:
<Forum post>
What's up SE? Why are you making us jump through so many hoops just to maintain the same efficiency on our jobs? Couldn't you have just given us one weapon to offset the new MP Cost across the board? You gave us one with the Fey Weapons, but this new tweak is stronger than that weapon offsets. Why not give us another tier of the same type of weapon with Magian?
<reply on forums>

If you don't like it, don't level the job.

Again, I'm already holding off on leveling my BRD because I don't like what it has received in this update (and BRD isn't even a job that necessarily got nerfed by reaching a higher level). I have a hard time feeling sorry for anyone who feels like they "need" to get to 80 in some way, because I've never really been fond of anyone who doesn't understand what the term "need" means.

If you truly don't get anything useful out of being higher level SMN (which is apparently the argument being made here, since the OP is talking about having to expend more effort to remain more or less "the same" at 80 as he was at 75), then why exactly is "not leveling to 80" not an option?
Interesting. I'm having a hard time deciding if you are trolling or not. 10/10 sir.

It is one of my "feedback and suggestions" that leveling should always make your character better in every facet, or at least not worse. This is in direct contradiction to the summoner perpetuation system. This point of desirability is independent of past game mechanics. This is the forum to make such a claim. I do not need it as this is just a game, but I believe that it would result in a more desirable outcome, a more fun game, so I am politely (sort of >.>) requesting it here which is the appropriate venue.

I never thought this would be a contentious point that leveling should never make your character worse in any facet; it should only make it the same or better. Apparently this is a contentious point, or at least a non-obvious one. My mistake and apologies for the assumption.

PS: Let me characterize your style of argument, and its flaws, so that you may be more productive in the future. This is simply meant as a benefit to you. First, you have to keep your arguments straight, and you can't let personal pet peeves cloud the issue. You attacked my summoner perpetuation feedback because you associated that argument with my other, mostly unrelated, argument that the Magian content sucks because you felt this was a personal danger to your interests as you dislike the alternatives to Magian, ex: Salvage. (Note that the new Magian perp staffs are intricately tied with the perp cost ninja nerf, but the overall content to get these new staffs is not and is relatively independent.) You need to do better to avoid ad hominem attacks, to avoid focusing on the person and instead attack the actual content. Don't see me as an opponent, but instead try to understand where I'm coming from, see my points and the reasons behind my points, and don't let emotion and pet peeves cloud your decision making capabilities. tl;dr attack issues, not people, at least if you want constructive useful outcomes. However, if you want to win public opinion, please feel free to continue with your current argument style ala the many politicians across the world.

Edited, Jul 8th 2010 1:11am by GerrardCapashen
#41 Jul 08 2010 at 11:46 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatard
*****
11,630 posts
Quote:
If you truly don't get anything useful out of being higher level SMN (which is apparently the argument being made here, since the OP is talking about having to expend more effort to remain more or less "the same" at 80 as he was at 75), then why exactly is "not leveling to 80" not an option?


The ironic part is that perpetuation and new useful things are completely unrelated.

When we get new BPs, we get new MP costs to balance them out.

When we get new perpetuation, the only thing we get to balance that out is a few HP, higher level for damage calculations, and some minor increase in damage taken. I.e. the perpetuation cost is for what any melee get for free.

Perpetuation exists to prevent you from insane solo. But it prevents you from any kind of partying too. Just like if you made PLD take high damage from mobs to prevent them from soloing, and then they become useless at party tanking. Perpetuation should have always been canceled out by party members.

Solo = normal perpetuation
duo = -1 perpetuation
full party = -5 perpetuation

That would have put a well geared SMN at 0 perpetuation in parties, and the job would never have had any issues at all. A solution that should have been done 2004, but since SE can't admit their mistakes, we are stuck with them repeatedly doing the same mistakes over and over.
#42 Jul 08 2010 at 2:25 PM Rating: Good
47 posts
Quote:
Perpetuation exists to prevent you from insane solo. But it prevents you from any kind of partying too. Just like if you made PLD take high damage from mobs to prevent them from soloing, and then they become useless at party tanking. Perpetuation should have always been canceled out by party members.
Perhaps they think this, but I do not know. My summoner gear is pretty good for the record. Capped BP recast on all BPs. 330 smn magic skill at 75. All the perp pieces in the game except for Nirvana and Magian before this new update. I think I was pretty close to the best I could be. However, the best I was able to solo before ring was like 6k/hr, maybe 7k/hr, on Heraldic Imps.

My dragoon at 75 is far less geared, relatively speaking. There is a lot of gear which could make my dragoon better (though again it is pretty well geared). I solo 10k experience points / hr before ring on dragoon. I get chain 4 solo consistently on Greater Colibri without downtime.

What I'm trying to say is that such sentiment is retarded. I don't think even completely free pets would enable my summoner to beat my dragoon solo, and that's when my summoner is better geared, relatively speaking, than my dragoon.

Now, if we're discussing soloing hard NMs and not soloing experience, then it really doesn't matter. I have Carby, Garuda, and Fenrir, and I can gain mp over time with all of them out with Favor, Sublimination, and Siphon. No perpetuation cost wouldn't really let me solo harder mobs, though it would let me solo them quicker. A lot of other jobs can already do what summoner does in terms of soloing monsters, and they can do it quicker and better ex: rdm/nin, blm, cor, dnc, thf, etc.

So yeah, I just wish the dev team actually played this game, so they could realize that summoner is not broken for solo, and probably wouldn't be broken for solo with much less perp, and possibly no perp, both in terms of solo experience points per hour, and in terms of soloing IT and harder mobs.

Edited, Jul 8th 2010 4:28pm by GerrardCapashen
#43 Jul 08 2010 at 2:52 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
801 posts
tbh...I never understood why summoning was bound to a mp perpetuation cost in the first place. The avatars and elementals are standalone entities. You don't cast a spell and create them out of thin air. You maybe cast a spell to summon them, but that's about it. Making them consume mp while out is kind of like having a BST pet or DRG wyvern consume the caller's hp over time. If anything, that's really what an Avatar should be bound to--HP. It is after all considered a BLOOD PACT. In summoning jutsu, the conjurer sacrifices their blood to call forth a demon--should follow the same theme for summoners.

...but that's SE for you....

Raist
#44 Jul 08 2010 at 3:44 PM Rating: Decent
47 posts
Quote:
SE can't admit their mistakes, we are stuck with them repeatedly doing the same mistakes over and over.
More than that, they latched onto perp and thought it was a good idea to make it even worse in this update, in an attempt to push Magian, which is also incredibly stupid content. Stupid SE.
#45 Jul 08 2010 at 4:02 PM Rating: Excellent
47 posts
Quote:
tbh...I never understood why summoning was bound to a mp perpetuation cost in the first place. The avatars and elementals are standalone entities. You don't cast a spell and create them out of thin air. You maybe cast a spell to summon them, but that's about it. Making them consume mp while out is kind of like having a BST pet or DRG wyvern consume the caller's hp over time. If anything, that's really what an Avatar should be bound to--HP. It is after all considered a BLOOD PACT. In summoning jutsu, the conjurer sacrifices their blood to call forth a demon--should follow the same theme for summoners.
This just gave me another way of thinking about it. Let's take bst or drg or pup. The cost to "summon" their pet is constant from the moment they get the ability. For bst, drg, and pup, it's simply a recast timer on a job ability. In addition, their pet scales with level. Summoner pets do not have a set cost; the cost varies with level. Unlike bst, drg, and pup pets, the summoner cost more the higher level your summoner is.

I wonder what it would be like if the perp cost was constant from level 1, you know, so leveling actually made your job better ala bst, drg, and pup. That's probably how it should have been done.

Heh, the more I think about it, the more I realize that summoner has all the bizarro balancing. It has ever increasing perp cost, BP delays, skill over cap, etc. The entire class is just fundamentally broken and needed a rewrite as soon as it was released, but good ole SE didn't do it then, and it's much harder to do it now.

Here's some provocative ideas:

1- Perp cost is constant across levels. Carby mitts makes carby free. Nirvana makes the rest of them free. (I like my sacred cows.) Summoner gains the ability to actually have some customization with gear instead of worrying about mp bleed. As it currently stands, lets see, with my gear I devote weapon, head, body, hands, 1 ring, and feet all to just prevent this mp bleed, aka just treading water. That's a lot of gear slots lost just to be functional. Anyone can see that this pattern cannot continue much longer without just new tier sets of gear ala Magian which I think would be a horrible idea, which I've mentioned else-thread.

2- Just get rid of BP timer entirely in its current form. I've been partial to a pup-style system where you can spam BPs, but if you use BPs too quickly, a penalty might / will occur, such as each subsequent BP costs more mp until you are "cooled down". The current BP gear could be retrofitted to decrease this "cooldown" time.

3- Summoner skill over the cap is beyond retarded. Make it like the rest of the skills, like Polearm skill, so it's the absolute number which matters. I doubt there's any actual summoners nowadays who don't have near-capped skill anyway.

4- Fix the BP Wards and Favors to be cost competitive with other buffing jobs. As is nearly all of them are a joke, especially moreso nowadays when other jobs can do AOE stoneskin and AOE blink. That used to be special. Now our 250 (?) point stoneskinga is a joke. For the sh*tty wards, some combination of last longer, more "powerful" (ex: more damage absorbed by stoneskin, higher attack bonus of Crimson Howl), and cheaper (though I will remind you that the mp cost is generally not the biggest cost to BPs. It's the time cost to summon, to use the BP, to position the pet, and the BP recast timer.) Same for Favors.

5- Make spirits less stupid. Some combination of better AI, better magic acc and magic att, less time between castings, and cheaper.

6- Make some combination of summoner's mnd, summoner's int, summoner's cha affect the various attributes of the pet. (I'd go with cha, but that's because I'm a DND guy.) We're the only job where all of our base stats are near meaningless, though int has become important with /sch.

PS: Thank you for Odin. That was a really nice move to allow summoner to dump all their MP for one big massive shot, aka useful for zergs. I don't think any summoner was really asking for that, but it's quite useful nonetheless.

Edited, Jul 8th 2010 6:16pm by GerrardCapashen
#46 Jul 09 2010 at 6:49 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
****
6,424 posts
BDHERTZER wrote:
tbh...I never understood why summoning was bound to a mp perpetuation cost in the first place. The avatars and elementals are standalone entities. You don't cast a spell and create them out of thin air. You maybe cast a spell to summon them, but that's about it. Making them consume mp while out is kind of like having a BST pet or DRG wyvern consume the caller's hp over time. If anything, that's really what an Avatar should be bound to--HP. It is after all considered a BLOOD PACT. In summoning jutsu, the conjurer sacrifices their blood to call forth a demon--should follow the same theme for summoners.

...but that's SE for you....

Raist


Avatars and elementals are astral beings. As such, they need a source of magic to maintain their presence. A SMN is the conduit in this case. The better the conduit, the more power that can be channeled through it, but the more it costs to maintain it.
Without a SMN, astral beings can only manifest when a rise in natural energy (weather) allows it.

Get rid of perpetuation entirely, and you end up with a bunch of weak magical jugpets rather then tough charmed mobs.

I don't know why SE decided to put perpetuation tiers into overdrive, but I'm guessing a perpetuation-related JA is in the works.
____________________________
No PUP, no glory! <Inferno Claws [4563/3520]>

"Puppetmaster was our last best hope for peace. It failed.
Now it's our last best hope.. for victory!"
#47 Jul 09 2010 at 1:13 PM Rating: Good
47 posts
Quote:
I don't know why SE decided to put perpetuation tiers into overdrive, but I'm guessing a perpetuation-related JA is in the works.
Oh how I wish.

As noted else-thread, the solution that SE has had for perp has always been in the past better gear. The problem with this is that a lot of summoner gear is now simply devoted to perp, and they're running out of slots to devote to perp. The end result is that they're starting to have much more blatant tier set releases. (This I strongly dislike. The updates should be gradual, not overpowered tier sets each release.) This update is no different. It is no coincidence that the staffs available to most summoners went from 3 to 5 in the last couple of months and the perp cost went 2 higher in the last couple of months.
#48 Jul 09 2010 at 2:08 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
801 posts
Actually, the summons are stand-alone deities that exist in alternate realms that can appear in the prime material plain at will--all the summoner does is call them forth with magic. Now, you could make the case that it requires great concentration to control them as we do, which would explain the mp cost to issue the commands--but I don't see why it should continue to cost mp when you aren't commanding them. Unless one wants to make the case that we still control them even though we aren't telling them to do anything. At any rate, as your expertise and bond with the deity grows (IE, leveling and skilling up your Summoning Magic Skill), it should cost LESS to maintain that control not MORE--or at the very least it swings from increasing when you first level and then reduces back to a flat level once you recap for that level.

Raist
#49 Jul 09 2010 at 2:56 PM Rating: Good
Quote:
Avatars and elementals are astral beings. As such, they need a source of magic to maintain their presence. A SMN is the conduit in this case. The better the conduit, the more power that can be channeled through it, but the more it costs to maintain it. Without a SMN, astral beings can only manifest when a rise in natural energy (weather) allows it.


This is correct.

Quote:
I don't know why SE decided to put perpetuation tiers into overdrive, but I'm guessing a perpetuation-related JA is in the works.


They gave us one of those, it made me sad all day. Hopefully you are right, and there is a good perp- ability on the way, but I won't hold my breath.
____________________________
Snow Legacy of Kaiburr Crystal
Ashem of Valefor, formerly Asriel of Kujata
>>>--------->
#50 Jul 09 2010 at 3:43 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
801 posts
that holds true for elemental summons, but the Avatars themselves are actual deities based in mythology, more or less gods:

Shiva, Garuda: Hindu Deities

Ifrit: Arabian Deity (Djinn, sort of a subclass of Angelic nature)

Titan: lesser Greek Deities

Fenrir: Norse Deity (spawn of Loki)

Leviathin: Deity present in both Judeo and Sumerian mythology

Carbuncle: mythical creature tied to mayan/latin mythologies

and of course there is Diabolos, which has ties to several mythologies.

They technically don't require any magic intervention to exist in the prime material plane. Some of these deities have tales of wedding humans and otherwise birthing demi-gods of their own free will, as well as through trickery from other gods.

So technically, the only reason for there to be MP cost for them is the initial summoning and when controlling their actions, unless again you were to make the case for a mental strain to keep them under your influence between commands. Again, if that were the case, as your bond with that avatar increases and your mastery of the summon increases, that should not result in an increasing cost past a certain point--it should eventually plateau.

If one were to make the case that your perpetuation should be higher because they are more powerful as you level up, then the cost to initially summon them should also increase, as well as the cost of each of the commands you use--which they don't because you have already mastered those skills. Thus, by the same principle of mastery, there should be a point where your perpetuation should plateau and possibly even begin to decrease past that point.

It would make more sense for elementals to increse in perpetuation as well as initial summoning because you are actually creating the environment they need to exist (naturally occuring in certain weather conditions, or in magical realms such as the Realm of the Gods, ie Sky). As they become stronger (from leveling up), they would require more energy to produce a more powerful elemental entity. But technically, you aren't creating a Shivat when you summon it--there is only one Shiva. Granted, technically there are more than one Ifrit, Leviathin, Carbuncle, and Titan as they were actually a sort of "race", but the others are individual entities. As far as the FFXI storyline goes though, there are only one of each of these--if you notice in the past and in Abyssea, there are avatars of the same models with different names.

Raist
#51 Jul 09 2010 at 4:24 PM Rating: Excellent
Though the avatars are namesakes and references to real life deities, they are wholly separate from their real life counterparts. And with the exception of Garuda all are actually reincarnations of previous Final Fantasy summons, though again in XI they exist in a unique mythology different from their incarnations in previous games (e.g. Shiva in FFXI is not the Shiva in X or IX or VIII etc...) So ascribing to them the myths of their real life counterparts is inaccurate. Its quite common in SE games, as they love to make reference to mythological and historical things. Another example is the Joyeuse; Obviously there was no Charlemagne in Vana'diel history, and the sword in game is not like the Joyeuse which Charlemagne was said to use. It's just a reference to it.

In FFXI the avatars have a very interesting back story, which I have always thought deserved more attention in the main plots. The origins of the celestial avatars, excluding Alex and Odin, are explained in old Vana'diel Tribune articles called Legends of the Constellations. If you play through various quests and missions you also learn that the celestial avatars are actually slumbering in another plane. As for the Terrestrial avatars I believe they were animals who ascended to godhood to look over Vana'diel while the celestial avatars slumbered. I think, though it has been some time since I read up on it, that when they awaken the five terrestrial avatars and the races of Altana will die and it will be the end of Vana'diel as we know it.

Anywho, the avatars we call forth a small fractions of their true forms, and it is the power of the summoner that evokes them and keeps them within the material plane, thus we have perpetuation costs. Logical enough from a story standpoint, huge pain in the butt from a game balance stand point.
____________________________
Snow Legacy of Kaiburr Crystal
Ashem of Valefor, formerly Asriel of Kujata
>>>--------->
« Previous 1 2 3 4
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 15 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (15)