Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

It's coldFollow

#1 Dec 09 2013 at 11:37 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
12,018 posts
Is it cold where you are? It's cold here.

At least the **** wind stopped blowing. It was bad enough Friday the doors to the hospital couldn't close so the wind worked it's way through the whole building. Now I'm in my office, which has crappy climate control, and my boss has my space heater. I'm equipped to handle weeks of minimal sunlight and pouring rain, not sub-freezing temperatures. Brrr.

Did I mention it's cold? Smiley: rolleyes
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#2 Dec 09 2013 at 11:46 AM Rating: Good
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,765 posts
Yes it is. Last week was warm with above freezing temperatures which is making this week(end) feel all that much colder. It swung 15-20 degrees (that's a 65-70* degree swing for you yanks) in about 2-3 days




*if my math is right, which it probably isn't

Edited, Dec 9th 2013 1:51pm by Uglysasquatch
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#3 Dec 09 2013 at 11:49 AM Rating: Excellent
Haven't gotten anything down in Austin (besides degrees in the 20s), but my hometown has been iced in since Friday. It's been bad, especially since the first reaction for most people in the south when ice happens is "panic and immediately forget how to drive."
____________________________
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
I have a racist ****.

Steam: TuxedoFish
battle.net: Fishy #1649
GW2: Fishy.4129


Join us in the =4 subreddit!
#4 Dec 09 2013 at 12:00 PM Rating: Good
******
44,522 posts
Supposed to snow tomorrow.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#5 Dec 09 2013 at 12:04 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
12,018 posts
They keep saying snow for us too, but we've only gotten a dusting. If it's going to be cold there needs to be snow. Smiley: motz

Warm weather by Thursday.
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#6 Dec 09 2013 at 12:13 PM Rating: Good
Currently 8 F.

Last three days (and nights) it's been down to -18 F. Forecast is for 40 F by Thursday.

someproteinguy wrote:
If it's going to be cold there needs to be snow. Smiley: motz


**** snow. Smiley: mad
____________________________
Allegory wrote:
Bijou your art is exceptionally creepy. It seems like their should be something menacing about it, yet no such tone is present.
#7 Dec 09 2013 at 12:20 PM Rating: Good
Google + North Dakota + Weather = Smiley: glare

-2° F ... but theres no wind today so there is no windchill! Otherwise it would feel about -25

Edited, Dec 9th 2013 12:23pm by Dyadem
____________________________
Things I sometimes play...

"What do you want to be when you grow up?"
"I want to be a unicorn!"
"Awww, why's that?"........
"So I can stab people with my face."
#8 Dec 09 2013 at 12:24 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
12,018 posts
Friar Bijou wrote:
someproteinguy wrote:
If it's going to be cold there needs to be snow. Smiley: motz


@#%^ snow. Smiley: mad
Snow looks pretty and gives me an excuse for being late to work. I can stay under the nice warm blankets an extra 15 minutes and blame the commute.

Edited, Dec 9th 2013 10:26am by someproteinguy
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#9 Dec 09 2013 at 12:55 PM Rating: Good
Unforkgettable
*****
13,251 posts
I think it's around 37°F here, which isn't so bad. The gross freezing rain this morning is the part I don't like.
____________________________
Banh
#10 Dec 09 2013 at 12:58 PM Rating: Good
Yeah freezing rain is the worst. Much like when you get that first light snow, and it melts during the day, then freezes at night..and leaves all your roads covered in a nice layer of smooth ice. Fun for sneaker skating...but not much else.
____________________________
Things I sometimes play...

"What do you want to be when you grow up?"
"I want to be a unicorn!"
"Awww, why's that?"........
"So I can stab people with my face."
#11 Dec 09 2013 at 1:04 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
12,018 posts
Pretty good for car pinball.
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#12 Dec 09 2013 at 1:10 PM Rating: Good
@#%^
*****
15,822 posts
It warmed up today (-4) but it'll drop down to -22 tomorrow. So average.
____________________________
"I have lost my way
But I hear a tale
About a heaven in Alberta
Where they've got all **** for a basement"

#13 Dec 09 2013 at 1:51 PM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
36,218 posts
Assuming my Fahrenheit to Celsius math is correct, you guys live in freaky countries.
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#14 Dec 09 2013 at 2:16 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
12,018 posts
As long as it's more correct than Ugly's I'd say you're on to something.
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#15 Dec 09 2013 at 2:29 PM Rating: Good
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,765 posts
I took 20 and multiplied by 1.8 and added 32. That's the math an online search told me and since I know no better, that's what I went with.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#16 Dec 09 2013 at 2:30 PM Rating: Good
Mazra wrote:
Assuming my Fahrenheit to Celsius math is correct, you guys live in freaky countries.


Since most of the US (especially the Midwest) is so far from the ocean, you get some pretty insane temperature extremes. So yeah, freaky countries indeed.

Plus you Euros get your super nice Gulf Stream and the relatively warm weather it brings.
____________________________
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
I have a racist ****.

Steam: TuxedoFish
battle.net: Fishy #1649
GW2: Fishy.4129


Join us in the =4 subreddit!
#17 Dec 09 2013 at 2:36 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
12,018 posts
Uglysasquatch wrote:
I took 20 and multiplied by 1.8 and added 32. That's the math an online search told me and since I know no better, that's what I went with.
You don't want to add 32 when talking about a net shift.

But it was quite the swing our temps went from ~50F to about ~15F in a couple of days there (which is what I'm guessing you were talking about, since our weather is similar to yours or something). 30-40 degree change.
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#18 Dec 09 2013 at 2:42 PM Rating: Good
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,765 posts
That would make sense, not adding the 32.


I thought you were West Coast or something.. I get the same weather as NE, but typically warmer winters and colder summers.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#19 Dec 09 2013 at 2:46 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
12,018 posts
Am, I thought you were like Vancouver B.C. area or something? (not that I'm any better at remembering). Since our weather here in Portland tends to be similar, albeit a few degrees warmer, assuming that east wind isn't shooting like a fire hydrant out of the gorge.
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#20 Dec 09 2013 at 3:12 PM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,327 posts
It be blizzarding here. Smiley: grin
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#21 Dec 09 2013 at 3:50 PM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
36,218 posts
You guys need to switch to Celsius. Smiley: oyvey

Fahrenheit makes no sense at all.
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#22 Dec 09 2013 at 3:56 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
12,018 posts
Sure lets just give up our freedom, let the terrorists win, and make the baby Jesus cry.

Smiley: oyvey
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#23 Dec 09 2013 at 3:59 PM Rating: Good
Mazra wrote:
You guys need to switch to Celsius. Smiley: oyvey

Fahrenheit makes no sense at all.

If it wasn't inegral to our entire way of life.. sure.. since its been ingrained in us since elementary school! Wait.. I don't care. Every digital thing in the world shows both F/C anyway, so we refuse to change and you can just click the button that changes it.

someproteinguy wrote:
Sure lets just give up our freedom, let the terrorists win, and make the baby Jesus cry.

Smiley: oyvey

____________________________
Things I sometimes play...

"What do you want to be when you grow up?"
"I want to be a unicorn!"
"Awww, why's that?"........
"So I can stab people with my face."
#24 Dec 09 2013 at 4:09 PM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
36,218 posts
But it gets confusing when someone forgets to add the F or C.
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#25 Dec 09 2013 at 4:12 PM Rating: Good
Mazra wrote:
You guys need to switch to Celsius. Smiley: oyvey

Fahrenheit makes no sense at all.


I disagree. You guys have the whole 0 degrees freezing, 100 degrees boiling thing going on, so cool for that, but to me Fahrenheit shows small differences a lot better, and without having to go to stupid and ugly decimal places.

Edited, Dec 9th 2013 5:12pm by IDrownFish
____________________________
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
I have a racist ****.

Steam: TuxedoFish
battle.net: Fishy #1649
GW2: Fishy.4129


Join us in the =4 subreddit!
#26 Dec 09 2013 at 4:21 PM Rating: Good
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,765 posts
Yea, the US has it right with F. That whole not using metric is retarded though.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#27 Dec 09 2013 at 4:25 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
612 posts
I live in Philly, anyone see that eagles game yesterday? we got about 6-8 inches of snow(orig. was only supposed to get around an inch lol ) and we have round 2 coming tomorrow. and its going to stay in the 20s tomorrow yikes.
____________________________
EQ acct
Rukkuss 71 Iksar SK 1.5 Epic
Mokkas 70 Halfling Druid 1.0 Epic
Turfidor 66 Barbarian Shaman 1.0 Epic
Simplid 70 chanter(boxed)
Trembledon(70 ranger)/Rumblesx(68 monk) combo
Thugak 58 warrior
Bertoxx server
#28 Dec 09 2013 at 4:26 PM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
36,218 posts
But Fahrenheit makes no sense. It's based on the stable temperature of a water, ice and ammonium chloride solution... like, what the ****?

At least Celsius has a concept that is easy enough to grasp. 0 is where water turns solid and 100 is where water turns gaseous. And the Celsius scale follows the Kelvin scale, which makes it far superior in science, obviously. Smiley: tongue
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#29 Dec 09 2013 at 4:34 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
12,018 posts
Rukkuss wrote:
I live in Philly, anyone see that eagles game yesterday? we got about 6-8 inches of snow(orig. was only supposed to get around an inch lol ) and we have round 2 coming tomorrow. and its going to stay in the 20s tomorrow yikes.
I saw highlights that were a bunch of blurry objects running around on a white backdrop. They claimed it was football, but I'm still unconvinced. Smiley: tinfoilhat

Mazra wrote:
But Fahrenheit makes no sense. It's based on the stable temperature of a water, ice and ammonium chloride solution... like, what the ****?

At least Celsius has a concept that is easy enough to grasp. 0 is where water turns solid and 100 is where water turns gaseous. And the Celsius scale follows the Kelvin scale, which makes it far superior in science, obviously. Smiley: tongue
Scientists just make stuff up anyway. Well other scientists do; all my data is legit of course. Should have done 0-200 or something, would have made it more reasonable and useful to people who aren't chemists.

High/low temps for a week of 5C/2C, 4C/1C, 6C/2C, 10C/8C, 5C/3C...

Wow! Thursday looks warm!

Smiley: confused

Smiley: dubious


Edited, Dec 9th 2013 2:41pm by someproteinguy
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#30 Dec 09 2013 at 4:41 PM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
36,218 posts
Well, Mr. Scientist, care to explain why you're writing your temperature in Coulombs? Smiley: dubious
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#31 Dec 09 2013 at 4:44 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
12,018 posts
First rule of science: the more confusing you make your data the less likely it is someone will say you did it wrong. Seriously, there's no "degrees" button on my computer. Grammar ****! Smiley: mad

Edited, Dec 9th 2013 2:47pm by someproteinguy
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#32 Dec 09 2013 at 5:06 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
31,966 posts
Mazra wrote:
But Fahrenheit makes no sense. It's based on the stable temperature of a water, ice and ammonium chloride solution... like, what the ****?


Fahrenheit makes complete sense to use for weather temperatures because the scale is more or less based on how hot or cold things feel to humans. Thus, 0 is "really freaking cold", while 100 is "really freaking hot". Comfortable ranges are those in between. 0 is the freezing point of brine. 100 is just over human body temperature. It's a great measurement to use when determining whether things feel hot or cold.

Celsius is great for laboratories, where knowing the temperature relative to the freezing/boiling points of water is useful. But not so much for the weather channel.


Oh. And for the record. It is cold. OMFG! It's supposed to get down to the mid 40s tonight. Brrrr!
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#33 Dec 09 2013 at 5:16 PM Rating: Good
******
27,272 posts
It was nice and warm this afternoon, something like 17°C. That was Barcelona though, now I'm back in the Netherlands we're down to under 5°C...
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#34 Dec 09 2013 at 5:31 PM Rating: Good
****
9,435 posts
The UK switched at some point.

As for the actual weather, it's the same all year around here, anyway. Except it hasn't hailed in like 2 months now.
____________________________
Support Ahmadiyya
#35 Dec 09 2013 at 5:38 PM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
36,218 posts
gbaji wrote:
Celsius is great for laboratories, where knowing the temperature relative to the freezing/boiling points of water is useful. But not so much for the weather channel.


Knowing when water freezes is arguably more useful for your daily routines than knowing if it'll be chilly or not. It's the difference between getting a cold and wrapping your car around a tree.
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#36 Dec 09 2013 at 5:42 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
12,018 posts
Mazra wrote:
gbaji wrote:
Celsius is great for laboratories, where knowing the temperature relative to the freezing/boiling points of water is useful. But not so much for the weather channel.


Knowing when water freezes is arguably more useful for your daily routines than knowing if it'll be chilly or not. It's the difference between getting a cold and wrapping your car around a tree.
Pretty sure you can figure out frozen water without a thermometer.
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#37 Dec 09 2013 at 6:08 PM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
36,218 posts
Sure, if you leave a glass of water out at night, but black ice is not that easy to spot.
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#38 Dec 09 2013 at 8:11 PM Rating: Good
***
2,044 posts
Celsius is difficult for describing how temperature differences feel to us. Relatively speaking, of course. But it is just perfect the way it is for the conversion from F to C (0 - 200 would be too confusing) because the difference between freezing and boiling water is 100 degrees in C and 180 in F (212 - 32).

In fact, it's a snap to go from C to F, just take the temp in C (say, 20C) and knock off a fifth (so, 16), then add that back to the original temp (to total 36) and add 32, and it's a balmy 68 degrees F. If it's 22C then do the same and add an extra 1.8 degrees for each extra degree C (or 3.5 in this case) for 71.5F. If it's 19C then subtract 1.8 degrees for 66F.

Now, going the other way is a bit more difficult because you have to subtract 32 (36) and multiply that by .55 to get . . . a little over half, or 20C.


Anyway, it is always hot in our office suite. The building claims it's because we are first in line for the heat *********** My office is always the hottest office in the suite. I feel they should lower the heat but the ladies complain then because it's too cold. But they can wear sweaters, I can't start stripping down (well, I could, but that would be like dividing by zero - something very bad would happen to the integrity of the space-time continuum).

But, the upside is that today one of the women wore a sleeveless thing because she was expecting it to be very warm in the office. Smiley: yippee Smiley: yippee Smiley: yippee And like a prepubescent teen, I kept looking for reasons why she had to come into my office to help me understand this or that. Smiley: sly

____________________________
One of my opinions is worth three of your facts.

#39 Dec 09 2013 at 9:54 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Mazra wrote:
Knowing when water freezes is arguably more useful for your daily routines than knowing if it'll be chilly or not.

Who doesn't know when water will freeze?
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#40 Dec 10 2013 at 2:42 AM Rating: Good
******
44,522 posts
Wile E. Coyote usually.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#41 Dec 10 2013 at 7:27 AM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
36,218 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Who doesn't know when water will freeze?


You'd be surprised.

Anyway, my point is that water is a very known and relevant substance to most people, and using a scale based on its states makes it easier to understand and work with, in terms of weather analysis, than using a scale based on another scale that was based on the freezing and boiling points of brine.

It just seems absolutely ridiculous that anyone would refer to +32 as being a freezing point. +/- 0 makes more sense, to me.
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#42 Dec 10 2013 at 7:37 AM Rating: Good
*****
19,984 posts
Snow is supposed to start here by 11 and continue into the night. Smiley: glare

Most schools in the area are closed already.

I, thankfully, am working from home or taking a sick day. Woke up super dizzy and couldn't have commuted to work even if I wanted to.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#43 Dec 10 2013 at 7:47 AM Rating: Good
*****
19,984 posts
Mazra wrote:
Jophiel wrote:
Who doesn't know when water will freeze?


You'd be surprised.

Anyway, my point is that water is a very known and relevant substance to most people, and using a scale based on its states makes it easier to understand and work with, in terms of weather analysis, than using a scale based on another scale that was based on the freezing and boiling points of brine.

It just seems absolutely ridiculous that anyone would refer to +32 as being a freezing point. +/- 0 makes more sense, to me.


I don't think I've met anyone who doesn't know that below 32 is freezing. At least for people who live here.

And the freezing temperature only matters during the winter. Summer/Spring/Fall all do much better with the temperature scale offered by Fahrenheit.

And, honestly, the scale of experience is better in winter, too, because your experience is more directly mapped to the temp.

<0 is REALLY FREAKING COLD, >100 is REALLY FREAKING HOT. 50 is cool.

It just works well. I can hear the temperature and know exactly how I feel about that. I don't need to know what -2F is like to know I don't want it. But -2 in Celsius isn't really that cold.

I hear 100F and know it's going to be hot. 40C (or whatever) just doesn't have much of a zing to it. It's so close to 32C, which I'm guessing is much less hot.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#44 Dec 10 2013 at 8:15 AM Rating: Excellent
******
27,272 posts
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
It just works well. I can hear the temperature and know exactly how I feel about that.
That's a non argument though as it's purely reliant on what you're used to and I could use the exact same argument for Celcius.

I know instantly that, say 25°C is going to mean warm but not too hot and that -5°C means that half of the Netherlands is pitching a tent over the possibility of an Elfstedentocht.
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#45 Dec 10 2013 at 8:27 AM Rating: Good
******
44,522 posts
I hear/see -5 and I start looking for fat people to gut and wear as a coat.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#46 Dec 10 2013 at 8:31 AM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
36,218 posts
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
<0 is REALLY FREAKING COLD, >100 is REALLY FREAKING HOT. 50 is cool.

It just works well. I can hear the temperature and know exactly how I feel about that. I don't need to know what -2F is like to know I don't want it. But -2 in Celsius isn't really that cold.

I hear 100F and know it's going to be hot. 40C (or whatever) just doesn't have much of a zing to it. It's so close to 32C, which I'm guessing is much less hot.


40 ºC and 32 ºC are both hot. The human body is 35 ºC. Room temperature is generally considered around 20 ºC.

I guess the freezing point plays a larger role in countries that don't have as defined seasons as you have. I mean, look at this:

Quote:
Copenhagen (that's us) and Oslo have an average July maximum temperature of 22 °C (72 °F).

Quote:
In Denmark, January temperatures average between −2 °C (28 °F) and 4 °C (39 °F).


The mean temperature in our coldest month is 0 ºC (32 ºF).

When you live in a country where the temperature might go from "it's raining and the roads are wet" to "it's snowing and the roads are ice" ten times a day, water's freezing point is sort of important.
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#47 Dec 10 2013 at 9:03 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Mazra wrote:
Anyway, my point is that water is a very known and relevant substance to most people, and using a scale based on its states makes it easier to understand and work with, in terms of weather analysis, than using a scale based on another scale that was based on the freezing and boiling points of brine.

Eh, most people are aware that water freezes in the low 30's. That's good enough because it's not as though all the water magically turns to ice at 0 degrees Celsius anyway. Especially on roads, pavement temps, traffic, road salt, etc will play a big role in it. Bodies of water based on their size, composition and water movement, etc.

"It's 30F out there, stuff's gonna freeze" is accurate enough for essentially all lay purposes. You might not like it but it works peachy over here.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#48 Dec 10 2013 at 9:20 AM Rating: Good
*****
19,984 posts
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
It just works well. I can hear the temperature and know exactly how I feel about that.
That's a non argument though as it's purely reliant on what you're used to and I could use the exact same argument for Celcius.

I know instantly that, say 25°C is going to mean warm but not too hot and that -5°C means that half of the Netherlands is pitching a tent over the possibility of an Elfstedentocht.


Except that Fahrenheit gives a clearer picture of temperatures than Celsius does with much less thinking.

Our temperature scale is more directly mapped to experience of temperatures. Negative temps, without ANY more thought, tell me it's going to be really frickin cold. Not much more matters. Bam, done, no more debating what to wear - it's "put on every single bit of clothing I own" weather. I don't need to think about numbers at all.

Because I'm not looking to think, I'm looking to glance at the weather and just make an intuitive choice about what works.

Sure, you'll adjust to ANY system. We could be using a system that just uses 10 degree ranges represented by various fruits and we'd all adjust to it.

But that doesn't mean it's not more intuitive to have a system that scales from, essentially, 0 to 100 that is more closely based on human experiences of temperatures rather than scientific meaning of those temps.

Because literally the only reason I care about the weather temperature is due to my experience of it.

Is it a huge deal either way? No. But our system IS more intuitive for weather. Celsius is essentially better for everything else (and for scientific discussions of temperatures), but when we're just talking about how hot/cold it is, the system that's more closely mapped to a linear progression of temp from "really ******* cold" to "really ******* hot" just makes more sense.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#49 Dec 10 2013 at 9:38 AM Rating: Excellent
******
27,272 posts
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
Except that Fahrenheit gives a clearer picture of temperatures than Celsius does with much less thinking.
Because you've grown up with Fahrenheit.

Quote:
Our temperature scale is more directly mapped to experience of temperatures. Negative temps, without ANY more thought, tell me it's going to be really frickin cold. Not much more matters. Bam, done, no more debating what to wear - it's "put on every single bit of clothing I own" weather. I don't need to think about numbers at all.

Because I'm not looking to think, I'm looking to glance at the weather and just make an intuitive choice about what works.
And you know that for, 85F or 95F as well as I do for 30°C or 35°C. Fahrenheit is more intuitive to you because it's what you know and have known for all of your life, Celsius requires as little thinking for me as Fahrenheit does to you and any argument that it's "more closely related to how you experience weather" is just *********
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#50 Dec 10 2013 at 10:17 AM Rating: Good
*****
19,984 posts
Are you honestly going to argue that a system that's mapped 0 to 100 with close relevance to our experience of temperature isn't more intuitive? Because I'm positive I can give you a solid counterexample.

And we'll go ahead and ignore the fact that base 10 mathematics makes a 0-100 scale quite accessible just in basis of the way we're taught to approach numbers.


Here's the scenario? And it's one I've encountered many, many times because no one ever actually knows what the temperature is*.

"Do you know what the temperature is outside?"
"No, it's negative though."

That tells me literally all the information I need. Whether or not it's -2 or -12 no longer matters, because I'm going to behave exactly the same both ways - bundling up to the absolute maximum, and avoiding going outside like the plague. Why? Because we are using a temperature system that is set so that anything in the negative range is far below what we want to be dealing with.

Same thing with temps over 100. I'm going to do pretty much everything in my power to not go outside, regardless of if it's 104 or 110.

Maybe it's culturally more common to have any clue what the temperature is over in the EU. 95% of the time, if you ask someone in the US, you'll get an answer of something like "In the 80s" because they remember the tens digit but not the singles unit.

You do that with Celsius and it's a much, much larger range of temperatures. Celsius requires me to know more information than I'm inclined to passively commit, and that makes it fundamentally more difficult to use. You can't even get the same exactness as when someone says "low 60s" with Fahrenheit, because "low" is going to be about equal to a full Fahrenheit tens-range in Celsius.

Yeah, if I know it's precisely 68F degrees or 16C or whatever, then they're pretty much equal if I've adjusted to them (such as by growing up with them). But unless I'm looking up the temp on a weather service (which I don't often do - my weather extension on chrome broke 4 months ago and I haven't bothered fixing it), I don't have that info.

So my point remains. Fahrenheit, by being so closely mapped on a 0-100 scale relative to human relationship of temperature to what it feels like, is FAR more useful and intuitive for day to day life. So little is placed on me, the person using the system, to know much of anything. At the worst extremes, the scale makes it quite clear without any extra thought. And for everything in between, a little bit of info goes a long way.

Celsius requires you to be more exact, and ain't nobody got time for that.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#51 Dec 10 2013 at 10:32 AM Rating: Good
******
27,272 posts
Because "high 60s" or "around 15" are so different in accuracy or how easy they are to say.

And the whle closely related to how humans experien e weather makes no sense. Tell a Russian in Siberia that it's going to be 0F he'll be happy that it's not cold and if you tell Horsemouth it's going to be 0°C where he is he'll freeze to death just thinking about it.
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 46 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (46)