Forum Settings
       
1 2 3 4 5 6 Next »
Reply To Thread

Is a sex-change a constitutional right?Follow

#252 Aug 30 2013 at 7:13 AM Rating: Good
******
43,419 posts
Screenshot
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#253 Aug 30 2013 at 9:15 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
11,599 posts
Almalieque wrote:
In that large number of homosexual suicides, how many of them killed themselves solely because of their sexuality that did NOT include any negative social influence, i.e. ridicule, but had a loving family and friend environment.
Yeah, and in walk the collaborations with sociologists. But I got the impression that that was one of the differences with GID. Even if you take away the social factors there's still a problem. But anywho, we've been down that road once or twice before.

As for funding, we're very much for hire. I was joking with lolgaxe earlier, but literally anyone who can pay for our services we can do work for. There's a lot of private funding out there, and the era where the government could influence much of what was researched is basically over. A lot of our funding comes from private donations. People have a loved one die from cancer, so they donate money to cancer research and so on and so forth. A couple decades ago the hospital where I work got something like 80% of it's funding from the state, these days it's in the single digits. It's a mixed blessing.
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#254 Aug 30 2013 at 10:49 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
485 posts
Almalieque wrote:
Rachel9 wrote:
Post 202 and 205. If you want a more in depth response, please ask for that, instead of repeating the same question.



1. You literally quoted the same definition that I provided for the word decide.
2. You then provided the definition for judgement, not choice
3. You never addressed the question in the second post either, but did just the opposite. I specifically said that instead of arguing over specific words, tell me the conceptual differences between "deciding" to be **** vs "choosing" to be gay. Providing another possible word does exactly the opposite of what I asked for.

There's a reason why I keep asking the same question, because you never answer it.

1. Yes, because it was the proper definition.
2. Because the definition said "choice or judgement". In this case judgement is what we wanted, not choice.
3. Not decide to be gay. Decide that you are gay. Big difference. If i had said people can decide to be gay, that would indeed imply that they can also choose not to be gay.

I suggested the word determine because it is a good alternative that gives more or less the same meaning as decide. I assumed you weren't confused about what a choice is, so i didn't bother explaining.
____________________________
#255 Aug 30 2013 at 4:49 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
8,943 posts
SPG wrote:
But I got the impression that that was one of the differences with GID. Even if you take away the social factors there's still a problem.


I will not say it isn't EVER a problem, but I will argue against the concept that it is always a problem. Homosexuals tend to change genders with no issues at all. Look at "Tomboys", they are no different either.

SPG wrote:
There's a lot of private funding out there


That's why ethics is so important. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume people are willing to pay when you present them the results that they want.

Rachel wrote:
1. Yes, because it was the proper definition.
2. Because the definition said "choice or judgement". In this case judgement is what we wanted, not choice.
3. Not decide to be gay. Decide that you are gay. Big difference. If i had said people can decide to be gay, that would indeed imply that they can also choose not to be gay.

I suggested the word determine because it is a good alternative that gives more or less the same meaning as decide. I assumed you weren't confused about what a choice is, so i didn't bother explaining.


If your point was that there is a difference between "accepting that you are gay" vs "choosing to be gay", then there are several ways that you could have expressed that better. The definition of "judgement" includes "decision", which includes "choice". Furthermore, the definition of judgement focuses more on objectively making a choice.

Rachel wrote:
I suggested the word determine because it is a good alternative that gives more or less the same meaning as decide. I assumed you weren't confused about what a choice is, so i didn't bother explaining.
Since you're not a fan of dictionaries, I asked you to express the concept and not use more words. You decided to use more words, which led to more confusion.

So, why do you support making people see their true weight sizes as opposed to altering their body, but the exact opposite with GID? Before you mention that we objectively determine weight sizes, we also objectively evaluate your body. That's why when you go to the doctor, you're given a thumbs up or a thumbs down. If a man's body naturally "transformed", the doctors would say that something was WRONG.
____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
#256 Aug 30 2013 at 5:00 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
11,599 posts
Almalieque wrote:
SPG wrote:
There's a lot of private funding out there


That's why ethics is so important. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume people are willing to pay when you present them the results that they want.
They pay when the get the data they requested, whether or not they like the results or how happy they are to get them varies from project to project; hourly billing is hourly for the most part.

The only time they wouldn't pay is if we screwed something up and ruined their samples to the point they couldn't get data. TBH half the time we don't really know what the project is about though. They give us a vial of protein, we give them back a list of what's in it, that kind of thing. Out of the thousand odd billings we've done we've only ever had problem collecting on maybe 4 or 5 of them? Something like that. It's not usually a problem.

As far as unethical, the biggest problem would be someone misinterpreting the results, or seeing something there that isn't. We can give them our interpretation, tell them about all sorts of statistics, but there are a few people out there that will latch on to any lead they like no matter how little the data actually supports it. Really though, they're the ones that don't come back anyway, it's pretty obvious when a researcher is grasping at straws... Smiley: lol

Edited, Aug 30th 2013 4:03pm by someproteinguy
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#257 Aug 30 2013 at 5:27 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
8,943 posts
SPG wrote:
As far as unethical, the biggest problem would be someone misinterpreting the results, or seeing something there that isn't. We can give them our interpretation, tell them about all sorts of statistics, but there are a few people out there that will latch on to any lead they like no matter how little the data actually supports it. Really though, they're the ones that don't come back anyway, it's pretty obvious when a researcher is grasping at straws..


Yes, just like movies on opening weekends. A movie can be mediocre, but the commercial will say "Best action-romance between 2010-2012 starring an Asian over 40 during the Spring months".

Edited, Aug 31st 2013 1:34am by Almalieque
____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
#258 Aug 30 2013 at 5:32 PM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,668 posts
Almalieque wrote:
SPG wrote:
As far as unethical, the biggest problem would be someone misinterpreting the results, or seeing something there that isn't. We can give them our interpretation, tell them about all sorts of statistics, but there are a few people out there that will latch on to any lead they like no matter how little the data actually supports it. Really though, they're the ones that don't come back anyway, it's pretty obvious when a researcher is grasping at straws..


Yes, just like when movies on opening weekends. A movie can be mediocre, but the commercial will say "Best action-romance between 2010-2012 starring an Asian over 40 during the Spring months".

inorite.

____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#259 Sep 02 2013 at 4:06 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
19,648 posts
Quote:
We can give them our interpretation, tell them about all sorts of statistics, but there are a few people out there that will latch on to any lead they like no matter how little the data actually supports it.


You don't say.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#260 Sep 03 2013 at 7:39 AM Rating: Good
******
43,419 posts
someproteinguy wrote:
They give us a vial of protein, we give them back a list of what's in it, that kind of thing.
Expect a couple of vials in the mail, if you know what I mean.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#261 Sep 03 2013 at 3:29 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
31,473 posts
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
Quote:
We can give them our interpretation, tell them about all sorts of statistics, but there are a few people out there that will latch on to any lead they like no matter how little the data actually supports it.


You don't say.


Global Warming, right? Smiley: grin
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
1 2 3 4 5 6 Next »
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 53 All times are in CDT
davebennett, dorarneff, Anonymous Guests (51)