Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Won't somebody please think of the butter?Follow

#1 Jun 21 2013 at 4:43 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
14,792 posts
No more Deen on Food Network.

Moral of the story? Never admit under oath to ever using the N-word, no matter how long ago it may have been. It's better to just lie.
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#2 Jun 21 2013 at 4:47 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
11,709 posts
How long ago did she do this? Nothing I've read has given details. Smiley: frown
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#3 Jun 21 2013 at 5:29 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
14,792 posts
someproteinguy wrote:
How long ago did she do this? Nothing I've read has given details. Smiley: frown


The only thing I could find about the source of the issue was a TMZ article.

Employee complained about sexist/racist/offensive work environment. Deen admits to using the N-word in the past while being questioned. So it's not like she said the Nword on tape or anything, she just admitted to using it in the past.
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#4 Jun 21 2013 at 5:45 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
11,240 posts
She should have said that she said "Nigga", because she was trying to relate to the urban youth that watch her show. Smiley: laugh
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#5 Jun 21 2013 at 6:26 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
11,709 posts
Quote:
Lawyer: Okay. In what context?
Paula: Well, it was probably when a black man burst into the bank that I was working at and put a gun to my head.

Sidenote -- Paula was held up at gunpoint during a bank robbery in 1986.

Smiley: oyvey

Okay, seriously this is what this is all about? I probably wouldn't have described him in kind words either if he pointed the gun at me.

Bad words are bad and all, but aren't there bigger fish to fry?

Now if you'll excuse me there's something on that page about topless beach photos...

Edited, Jun 21st 2013 5:29pm by someproteinguy
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#6 Jun 22 2013 at 5:53 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,738 posts
It's not just about Paula Deen using the N-word once or twice a few decades ago.

Here is a link to the official complaint.

Some quotes from it:

Quote:
Paula Deen placed Ms. Jackson in charge of food and serving arrangements for the wedding of her brother Bubba Hiers in February 2007. When Ms. Jackson asked Ms. Deen what look the wedding should have, Ms. Deen replied, "I want a true southern plantation-style wedding." Asked by Ms. Jackson what type of uniforms she preferred servers to wear, Paula Deen stated, "Well what I would really like is a bunch of little n****rs to wear long-sleeve white shirts, black shorts and black bow ties, you know in the Shirley Temple days, they used to tap dance around."


Quote:
At Uncle Bubba's restaurant, African-American staff persons are required to use the back entrance for all purposes, including picking up their checks. They were prohibited from using the front entrance.


Quote:
African-American staff persons at Uncle Bubba's restaurant are required to use one restroom that is in the back of the restaurant and is not the customer restroom. White staff was allowed to use the customer bathroom.


Quote:
For over five (5) years, Ms. Jackson made numerous and frequent complaints of racial and sexual harassment and abusive treatment to the highest levels of corporate management and ownership, including: Defendants Paula Deen and Bubba Hiers... The conduct was universally known and tolerated within the ownership and management levels of the corporate enterprise, and by corporate counsel and no remedy was offered.



After reading that, I've decided that Paula Deen and her family can go **** themselves.
____________________________
Mazra wrote:
I looked out the window and saw a big fireball in the sky. I'm not going outside until it's gone.
#7 Jun 23 2013 at 8:12 PM Rating: Good
*****
10,500 posts
Unfortunate, but can't say that I'm super surprised. I am actually surprised FN canned her, she's probably their most iconic star still.
____________________________
◕ ‿‿ ◕
#8 Jun 23 2013 at 8:16 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
14,792 posts
Vataro wrote:
Unfortunate, but can't say that I'm super surprised. I am actually surprised FN canned her, she's probably their most iconic star still.


They still have dark-haired fat old lady who is on during the daytime. The one that is always at home while her husband is at work, cooking dinner so it's ready when he walks through the door. I think it's called "Barefoot Housewife Knows Her Place Contessa"

Now this thread is both racist and sexist.

Edited, Jun 23rd 2013 10:17pm by TirithRR
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#9 Jun 23 2013 at 11:56 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
27,413 posts
TirithRR wrote:
Vataro wrote:
Unfortunate, but can't say that I'm super surprised. I am actually surprised FN canned her, she's probably their most iconic star still.


They still have dark-haired fat old lady who is on during the daytime. The one that is always at home while her husband is at work, cooking dinner so it's ready when he walks through the door. I think it's called "Barefoot Housewife Knows Her Place Contessa"
Most folks I know stopped watching her after the Make-A-Wish fiasco.
____________________________
Someone on another forum wrote:
Wow, you've got an awesome writing style.! I really dig the narrator's back story, humor, sarcasm, and the plethora of pop culture references. Altogether a refreshingly different RotR journal (not that I don't like the more traditional ones, mind you).

#10 Jun 24 2013 at 7:21 AM Rating: Good
*****
10,500 posts
The One and Only Poldaran wrote:
TirithRR wrote:
Vataro wrote:
Unfortunate, but can't say that I'm super surprised. I am actually surprised FN canned her, she's probably their most iconic star still.


They still have dark-haired fat old lady who is on during the daytime. The one that is always at home while her husband is at work, cooking dinner so it's ready when he walks through the door. I think it's called "Barefoot Housewife Knows Her Place Contessa"
Most folks I know stopped watching her after the Make-A-Wish fiasco.


I'm not sure how to feel about that situation. The first "no" was obviously understandable. The second "no" seems less so, but even then I feel the circumstances are probably not as clear cut as the media implies. Does suck for that little kid though.
____________________________
◕ ‿‿ ◕
#11 Jun 24 2013 at 7:33 AM Rating: Good
******
43,650 posts
The One and Only Poldaran wrote:
Most folks I know stopped watching her after the Make-A-Wish fiasco.
You knew people that watched Food Network at all?
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#12 Jun 24 2013 at 8:07 AM Rating: Good
*****
10,500 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
The One and Only Poldaran wrote:
Most folks I know stopped watching her after the Make-A-Wish fiasco.
You knew people that watched Food Network at all?


More surprising is that you don't know anyone that watches it.
____________________________
◕ ‿‿ ◕
#13 Jun 24 2013 at 8:14 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
27,413 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
The One and Only Poldaran wrote:
Most folks I know stopped watching her after the Make-A-Wish fiasco.
You knew people that watched Food Network at all?
I've gone on the record before as worshiping Alton Brown, so it seems obvious I'd watch Food Network(as do many folks I know). I also linked this once.

Also:
Quote:
Paula Deen was asked about her appearance on “Who Do You Think You Are” in which she visited a plantation owned by a distant relative, who owned 30 slaves. She said the abolition of slavery was a “terrific change” but her great-grandfather struggled with the abolition of slavery after the Civil War ended and eventually took his life when his “slaves” left. She said “Back then, black folk were such integral part of our lives, they were like our family, and for that reason, we didn’t see ourselves as being prejudiced.”
Smiley: facepalm

Edited, Jun 24th 2013 8:17am by Poldaran
____________________________
Someone on another forum wrote:
Wow, you've got an awesome writing style.! I really dig the narrator's back story, humor, sarcasm, and the plethora of pop culture references. Altogether a refreshingly different RotR journal (not that I don't like the more traditional ones, mind you).

#14 Jun 24 2013 at 9:06 AM Rating: Good
*****
10,500 posts
It's funny and sad at the same time.
____________________________
◕ ‿‿ ◕
#15 Jun 24 2013 at 9:29 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
11,709 posts
Tasera wrote:
Here is a link to the official complaint.
Not making the list of places I'd like to work. Smiley: rolleyes

Edited, Jun 24th 2013 8:35am by someproteinguy
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#16 Jun 24 2013 at 9:30 AM Rating: Good
******
43,650 posts
Vataro wrote:
It's funny and sad at the same time.
I think she's saying they were kind of like pets.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#17 Jun 24 2013 at 11:56 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,830 posts
Bubba sounds like a helluva guy.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#18 Jun 24 2013 at 12:39 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
11,709 posts
With a name like Bubba it's safe to assume the bar is set fairly low.

Edited, Jun 24th 2013 11:39am by someproteinguy
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#19 Jun 24 2013 at 4:12 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
27,182 posts
I'm thinking 300 pound redneck with the IQ of a herring when I hear that name.
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#20 Jun 24 2013 at 4:27 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
14,792 posts
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
I'm thinking 300 pound redneck with the IQ of a herring when I hear that name.


He's not actually that big.
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#21 Jun 24 2013 at 4:31 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
11,709 posts
IQ of a herring seems accurate at least.
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#22 Jun 24 2013 at 4:36 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
14,792 posts
Some possible other information, including stuff on the side of Bubba's and Deen.

Apparently Ms. Jackson was treated fairly well by Bubba and Company prior to her departure.

And then...
Quote:
Prior to the filing of this suit, Jackson repeatedly threatened to assert scurrilous claims publicly in the press unless huge sums of money were paid to Jackson and her counsel, which demand was refused. Jackson’s suit should be dismissed, for among other reasons, on equitable grounds on the basis of clean hands.

____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#23 Jun 24 2013 at 10:20 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
****
6,119 posts
Best part of that letter is the big TMZ in the middle making it the only part Bijou can read a pain is **** to read.
____________________________
This sig better be appropriate...
#24 Jun 25 2013 at 6:35 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,830 posts
If Paula Dean was wronged and innocent of all these charges, she did a pretty good job acting guilty in her YouTube apology.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 49 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (49)