Forum Settings
       
1 2 Next »
Reply To Thread

僕は日本にいます。Follow

#52 Jun 05 2013 at 12:52 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
27,039 posts
The One and Only Poldaran wrote:
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
It's just LOLOL ADD MORE SALT AND FAT AND MEAT AND BOOZE! every time.
Don't knock it until you've tried making one.
Yeah, no, sorry. I'm not a fan of heart attacks and obesity and I like vegetables in my food.
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#53 Jun 05 2013 at 1:35 AM Rating: Good
***
2,172 posts
HERETIC BURN HIM BURN HIM!
____________________________
What I Play
Recently Played
#54 Jun 05 2013 at 1:36 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
27,340 posts
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
The One and Only Poldaran wrote:
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
It's just LOLOL ADD MORE SALT AND FAT AND MEAT AND BOOZE! every time.
Don't knock it until you've tried making one.
Yeah, no, sorry. I'm not a fan of heart attacks and obesity and I like vegetables in my food.
So you make a half portion, split it with friends and have vegetables on the side. I'm not saying eat something like that every day. Smiley: rolleyes
____________________________
Someone on another forum wrote:
Wow, you've got an awesome writing style.! I really dig the narrator's back story, humor, sarcasm, and the plethora of pop culture references. Altogether a refreshingly different RotR journal (not that I don't like the more traditional ones, mind you).

#55 Jun 05 2013 at 10:49 AM Rating: Good
******
43,458 posts
Vegetables just get in the way of all that delicious meat going through your system.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#56 Jun 05 2013 at 11:09 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
11,204 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Vegetables just get in the way of all that delicious meat going through your system.


Tell that to my BLT.
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#57 Jun 05 2013 at 11:20 AM Rating: Good
******
43,458 posts
Put it closer to the speaker?
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#58 Jun 05 2013 at 11:31 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
11,204 posts
I am the speaker.
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#59 Jun 05 2013 at 11:31 AM Rating: Good
******
43,458 posts
Then who was phone?
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#60 Jun 05 2013 at 11:58 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
11,204 posts
Banana.
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#61 Jun 05 2013 at 12:28 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
19,677 posts
I've been trying REALLY hard not to make sexual innuendos out of this discussion (delicious meat going through your system I mean c'mon).

A reference to the most phallic of fruits has put me over the edge.

You have no one to blame but yourself.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#62 Jun 05 2013 at 12:30 PM Rating: Excellent
******
43,458 posts
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
I've been [...] REALLY hard [...] (delicious meat going through your system I mean c'mon).

A reference to the most phallic of fruits has put me over the edge.

You have no one to blame but yourself.
REDACTED.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#63 Jun 06 2013 at 7:14 AM Rating: Decent
It's Just a Flesh Wound
******
22,688 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Vegetables just get in the way of all that delicious meat going through your system.


The Japanese have mastered the way of making vegetables compliment meat.
____________________________
Dear people I don't like: 凸(●´―`●)凸
#64 Jun 06 2013 at 9:42 PM Rating: Good
Wants you as a new recruit!
*****
17,362 posts
Deadgye wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
Vegetables just get in the way of all that delicious meat going through your system.


The Japanese have mastered the way of making vegetables compliment meat.


There are some things the Japanese do well and maybe better than others. But I don't think they have any sort of mastery that a skilled chef of any other cuisine has.
____________________________
Bringing derail™ back.
Smiley: canada
Qui s'estime petit deviendra grand.
#65 Jun 06 2013 at 9:47 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
14,736 posts
Sogoro wrote:
There are some things the Japanese do well and maybe better than others.


Yes, yes there is.

(possibly nsfw, depends on how strict your boss is).

Edited, Jun 6th 2013 11:48pm by TirithRR
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#66 Jun 08 2013 at 8:02 AM Rating: Decent
It's Just a Flesh Wound
******
22,688 posts
Sogoro wrote:
Deadgye wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
Vegetables just get in the way of all that delicious meat going through your system.


The Japanese have mastered the way of making vegetables compliment meat.


There are some things the Japanese do well and maybe better than others. But I don't think they have any sort of mastery that a skilled chef of any other cuisine has.


But high class cuisine isn't something that you eat everyday unless you're rich. When the everyday cheap foods are delicious, zomg, you never want to stop eating. Then again, this is probably just because it's something I don't get to eat often. I think everyone should spend 1-2 months eating one style of food and then switching, then repeat, etc. It'd probably be pretty awesome for your tastebuds.
____________________________
Dear people I don't like: 凸(●´―`●)凸
#67 Jun 08 2013 at 9:32 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
8,944 posts
Nothing like authentic noodles... That's going to be the first thing I eat when I touch down....
____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
#68 Jun 08 2013 at 12:08 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
19,677 posts
This may sound obvious, but I imagine that what Japanese chefs have over other chefs is a mastery of the Japanese concept of cuisine.

You can replace the "Japanese" uses in that sentence with any cultural group, really.

There was this big event in the culinary world years ago (in the 2000s, or whatever that decade is called, I think) where the top Chinese chefs were invited to the US to tour some of the best American restaurants. This may have continued into the EU - I can't remember.

Long story short, the Chinese chefs thought the food wasn't good. Because it didn't exemplify anything that they believed was a precondition for quality cuisine. And even when it came to taste, the sort of flavor profiles they had culturally learned to appreciate weren't being presented.

So I don't really see much reason to compare chefs across culinary disciplines. They're all going to be trained to present the most delicious food they can to the demographic they serve.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#69 Jun 09 2013 at 3:36 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
9,242 posts
It is odd hearing about Japanese food as being something not really available.... But then again here sushi is plentiful, my city not so cheap but in Vancouver it is ridiculous,

http://www.organicocean.com/article31.htm

Also, Vancouver has a reputation for having some of the best chinese food in the world.

http://www.concierge.com/cntraveler/articles/502251?pageNumber=1

Basically, if you just want to eat, Vancouver is the destination of choice.

Edited, Jun 9th 2013 2:44am by Olorinus
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.

clicky
#70 Jun 09 2013 at 6:54 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
19,677 posts
Sushi isn't really standard Japanese fare. It's more frequently eaten for special occasions, or for times of celebration/elation in general, than anything else.

Sort of like... pizza? Sure, there are times you eat it just because, and sometimes you eat it just because you're happy it's the weekend. And sometimes you eat it because you're out with friends and it sounds like a fun time?

It's not a perfect analogy, by any means, because sushi is "classier" in general. But sushi in Japan can quickly become ridiculously expensive, as you move up the tiers of quality.

And the Japanese style restaurants in the US are rarely attempting to remain fully authentic to the native dishes. They try and remain as authentic as they can, while still serving what the general public wants. That's not to say you can't find authentic Japanese cuisine in the US, particularly in cities, just that what most people perceive as Japanese cuisine isn't what you'd really get as the average experience in Japan.

And if we're moving on to high-end Japanese cuisine, that's going to become vastly less common. Many chefs will incorporate Asian ingredients and styles into their cooking, but few will do so with the goals of honoring Japanese culinary ideals in general.

[EDIT]

I see that you were using Vancouver, not a US city. So this may be irrelevant - I know nothing about Vancouver's culinary scene.

Edited, Jun 9th 2013 8:55pm by idiggory
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#71 Jun 09 2013 at 10:04 PM Rating: Good
Wants you as a new recruit!
*****
17,362 posts
The great thing about Japan is how accessible restaurants are. At any medium sized station there will be a good 5-10 restaurants on the outside available to eat at. Ranging from Japanese, Italian, French, and Chinese.

And just about every station that I pass through on a regular basis has places to eat inside and a bakery.

Sometimes I have way too many choices and end up going to a combini because I cannot decide what I want to eat and settle for onigiri.

Being new to a metropolis can shift your paradigm.

Edited, Jun 9th 2013 9:04pm by Sogoro
____________________________
Bringing derail™ back.
Smiley: canada
Qui s'estime petit deviendra grand.
#72 Jun 10 2013 at 7:30 AM Rating: Excellent
******
43,458 posts
Sogoro wrote:
Being new to a metropolis can shift your paradigm.
The reverse is also true, but not for the better. I can find whatever I want and it's of the highest quality because all those great international chefs come to NYC to open shop and make money. However, the minute I leave the city I find myself really annoyed because I've come to expect to find whatever I want whenever I want. Like finding Moroccan food in Georgia.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#73 Jun 11 2013 at 3:01 AM Rating: Excellent
Wants you as a new recruit!
*****
17,362 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Sogoro wrote:
Being new to a metropolis can shift your paradigm.
The reverse is also true, but not for the better. I can find whatever I want and it's of the highest quality because all those great international chefs come to NYC to open shop and make money. However, the minute I leave the city I find myself really annoyed because I've come to expect to find whatever I want whenever I want. Like finding Moroccan food in Georgia.

Ah man that is so true. Going from San Diego, Ca to Madison, Ohio was terrible. Your better off eating taco bell rather than looking for mexican food that tastes good.

Big city to smaller city :(
____________________________
Bringing derail™ back.
Smiley: canada
Qui s'estime petit deviendra grand.
#74 Jun 11 2013 at 4:19 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
27,039 posts
San Diego is also pretty much beer heaven. You'd be hard pressed to find many places with a craft beer scene as big as there.
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#75 Jun 11 2013 at 4:00 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
9,242 posts
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:

I see that you were using Vancouver, not a US city. So this may be irrelevant - I know nothing about Vancouver's culinary scene.


I'm using the term "sushi" really loosely. It's just what I generally call japanese food, and generally what the restaurants call themselves, not just maki etc. I only mentioned it cause a lot of the dishes being specifically spoken about are stuff that is quite common in restaurants around here.

I am quite sure there are all sorts of dishes available in Japan that aren't common here but stuff like Katsu Don is really common.

Authenticity is itself an interesting concept but that's a whole nother conversation. I know there is a lot of "innovation" happening that riffs off the Japanese theme (see the story I linked about the sushi chef in vancouver) but is, in itself totally different than what you'd be likely to find in Japan. So, your point generally stands as applied to Vancouver as well.

Though I'd say with Japanese food and Chinese food in particular the culinary scene in Vancouver is really tapped in - so while what's emphasized may not be what you'd see in the country of origin, it's building on the roots of that cuisine, not bastardizing it. (speaking of better restaurants anyway- in the sh*tty places there is probably lots of bastardization going on)

His Excellency Aethien wrote:
San Diego is also pretty much beer heaven. You'd be hard pressed to find many places with a craft beer scene as big as there.


Yeah my city also has a huge craft beer scene. As lolgaxe pointed out, that's great, until you're sent to a suburb that thinks offering three kinds of Bud is "choice."



Edited, Jun 11th 2013 3:04pm by Olorinus
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.

clicky
#76 Jun 11 2013 at 4:13 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
11,625 posts
Certainly Chinese and Vancouver; Japanese I'd still take Seattle.

Or just stay home and have the Mrs cook.
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#77 Jun 11 2013 at 5:53 PM Rating: Good
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,678 posts
someproteinguy wrote:
Certainly Chinese and Vancouver; Japanese I'd still take Seattle.

Or just stay home and have the Mrs cook.
I'd rather go to Montreal and get a smoked meat sandwich with a poutine.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#78 Jun 12 2013 at 12:06 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
27,340 posts
Uglysasquatch wrote:
someproteinguy wrote:
Certainly Chinese and Vancouver; Japanese I'd still take Seattle.

Or just stay home and have the Mrs cook.
I'd rather go to Montreal and get a smoked meat sandwich with a poutine.
It has to be intentional just how dirty that sounds.
____________________________
Someone on another forum wrote:
Wow, you've got an awesome writing style.! I really dig the narrator's back story, humor, sarcasm, and the plethora of pop culture references. Altogether a refreshingly different RotR journal (not that I don't like the more traditional ones, mind you).

#79 Jun 12 2013 at 12:10 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
29,862 posts
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:

I see that you were using Vancouver, not a US city.



Damnit! We had the name first! http://www.cityofvancouver.us/
____________________________
Arch Duke Kaolian Drachensborn, lvl 95 Ranger, Unrest Server
Tech support forum | FAQ (Support) | Mobile Zam: http://m.zam.com (Premium only)
Forum Rules
#80 Jun 12 2013 at 3:12 AM Rating: Good
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,678 posts
The One and Only Poldaran wrote:
Uglysasquatch wrote:
someproteinguy wrote:
Certainly Chinese and Vancouver; Japanese I'd still take Seattle.

Or just stay home and have the Mrs cook.
I'd rather go to Montreal and get a smoked meat sandwich with a poutine.
It has to be intentional just how dirty that sounds.
Nope, but its how things work out as everything in Montreal is dirty.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#81 Jun 12 2013 at 3:28 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
31,484 posts
Olorinus the Ludicrous wrote:
I'm using the term "sushi" really loosely. It's just what I generally call japanese food, and generally what the restaurants call themselves, not just maki etc. I only mentioned it cause a lot of the dishes being specifically spoken about are stuff that is quite common in restaurants around here.


I think that lots of Japanese/Asian restaurants highlight the sushi angle because that's a current trend. People will "go out for sushi", but it's more going to a restaurant that has sushi, not necessarily just sushi. Honestly, I tend to prefer the various noodle dishes. Tons of variety and flavors, and a **** of a lot less expensive.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#82 Jun 13 2013 at 8:21 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*****
19,677 posts
Honestly, Japanese food can be shockingly diverse. In many ways, they're the Eastern America when it comes to cuisine - the culture that has absorbed the culinary trends from everyone around them and made a distinctly Japanese style of cuisine.

We obviously hear a lot about the most traditional stuff, like rice/noodle dishes and sushi. But it goes a lot deeper than that. It's just as varied as any other cultural cuisine, and more varied than many.

This isn't an easy topic to have a conversation about, of course, due to these odd influences of globalization. But it's not really any different from French dishes than include soy sauce as major ingredients. Or the fact that there are super prominent rice dishes in southern cuisine (just as an example).
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
1 2 Next »
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 47 All times are in CDT
Aethien, Spoonless, Timelordwho, Anonymous Guests (44)