Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Songs you missed the first time aroundFollow

#1 Jan 10 2013 at 11:22 AM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,517 posts
My office got a satellite radio toy a few months ago, and the usual office music wars eventually settled on a handful of stations we could mostly agree on. Jazz, 90s alternative, and then this eighties station out of Berlin.

Most of what the Berlin station plays is stuff we've all heard before, aside from the occasional song in German. But then this one song came on in English that I had never heard before, and because the lyrics were a bit of a mondegreen, I failed in my Google fu. My boss used an app on his phone to determine that the song was "Hymn" by Ultravox, which never hit the top forties in the US, hence why I had never heard it before.

I'm sure there are other song gems I either didn't hear when they first came out (or in the ensuing decade), but which I'd probably enjoy.

Anyone have a similar experience?

Also, the video for that song is just badass.

____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#2 Jan 10 2013 at 12:58 PM Rating: Good
Encyclopedia
******
31,875 posts
If you liked that song, you might also try "Vienna" by the same group. Ultravox is one of those bands that's not well known in the US, but had a pretty significant impact on early "new wave" electronic style music.

Edited, Jan 10th 2013 10:58am by gbaji
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#3 Jan 10 2013 at 2:26 PM Rating: Good
Everyone's Oiran
Avatar
*****
15,923 posts
I don't know my unknown unknowns! o.O

But I've been shocked by developing a taste for "Islands in the Stream" by Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers in my adult years, along with a deep love of the whole ABBA repertoire, when they used to make me barf as a young child.
____________________________
<3

http://www.reddit.com/r/Forum4/
#4 Jan 10 2013 at 3:22 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,517 posts
Yeah, I've warmed up to ABBA a lot as well. Doesn't hurt that those gals had actual voices, and autotune wasn't used to massage every song into digital, cold perfection.

Conversely, some songs and bands I thought were sooooo awesome when I was a teenager I've sort of cooled off on now. Roxette, for example. Loved them. Now I realize how generic and uninspired they were in many ways. Not bad, but not worthy of the amount of music worship I gave them when I was thirteen.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#5 Jan 10 2013 at 3:31 PM Rating: Good
******
27,272 posts
The only thing I've noticed over the past few years is that my musical tastes have started to overlap more and more with my dad's. I still have the whole metal and hard rock side that I don't share with him and he likes much more cheesy pop stuff but we do share a love for many old pop and rock bands and loads of prog.
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#6 Jan 11 2013 at 6:56 AM Rating: Good
@#%^ing DRK
*****
13,137 posts
Not exactly a group to miss since they haven't really hit it big anywhere, but you might enjoy Menomena. Going to see them live next month.



Also, these guys seem to be bigger in Europe than in the states and they're from California. Sony used this song in their E3 montage last year. They have a few other really good songs including White Horse.



Edited, Jan 11th 2013 6:57am by Paskil
#7 Jan 11 2013 at 7:00 AM Rating: Good
@#%^ing DRK
*****
13,137 posts
Also, someone that is HUGE that you maybe haven't seen. They play to massive, adoring crowds. Typically at festivals. Gogol Bordello puts on amazing live shows.



Here's a pretty awesome example of them at Coachella.



Edited, Jan 11th 2013 7:01am by Paskil
#8 Jan 11 2013 at 7:34 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,240 posts
Paskil wrote:
Also, someone that is HUGE that you maybe haven't seen. They play to massive, adoring crowds. Typically at festivals. Gogol Bordello puts on amazing live shows.

My son's been a huge fan of Gogol Bordello for awhile now. So, I've been immersed in the music a couple times. It's a bit rough for me, but listenable.

Last night I was listening to a concert by David Bryne and St. Vincent. It was pretty entertaining.

Talking heads second time around I guess....

Who?





Edited, Jan 11th 2013 2:35pm by Elinda
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#9 Jan 11 2013 at 11:06 AM Rating: Decent
****
7,819 posts
This song always brings back memories of my younger days.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=utube+ufo+love+to+love&view=detail&mid=38A12DBDAEE037A873CA38A12DBDAEE037A873CA&first=0&qpvt=utube+ufo+love+to+love
____________________________
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/ImGatomon/Request.jpg

. “Power even if it is raw uncontrolled potential is just as dangerous as a trained assassin. It is unpredictable and deadly if your are not prepared." ~Gatomon From the story A Fox Among Wolves.
#10 Jan 11 2013 at 4:45 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
31,875 posts
catwho wrote:
Yeah, I've warmed up to ABBA a lot as well. Doesn't hurt that those gals had actual voices, and autotune wasn't used to massage every song into digital, cold perfection.

Conversely, some songs and bands I thought were sooooo awesome when I was a teenager I've sort of cooled off on now. Roxette, for example. Loved them. Now I realize how generic and uninspired they were in many ways. Not bad, but not worthy of the amount of music worship I gave them when I was thirteen.


One change I've noticed is that my inability to stand Hewie Lewis and the News has grown significantly as I've gotten older. Basically gone from "not my cup of tea" to "really? I'm trying to digest here!".
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#11 Jan 11 2013 at 5:01 PM Rating: Decent
@#%^ing DRK
*****
13,137 posts
gbaji wrote:
catwho wrote:
Yeah, I've warmed up to ABBA a lot as well. Doesn't hurt that those gals had actual voices, and autotune wasn't used to massage every song into digital, cold perfection.

Conversely, some songs and bands I thought were sooooo awesome when I was a teenager I've sort of cooled off on now. Roxette, for example. Loved them. Now I realize how generic and uninspired they were in many ways. Not bad, but not worthy of the amount of music worship I gave them when I was thirteen.


One change I've noticed is that my inability to stand Hewie Lewis and the News has grown significantly as I've gotten older. Basically gone from "not my cup of tea" to "really? I'm trying to digest here!".


I demand that you retract this statement you scurrilous rogue or we shall arrive at fisticuffs, I dare say.



Greatest. Video. Evar.
#12 Jan 11 2013 at 6:01 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
31,875 posts
Nah. I ate food sometime today. Might be too risky! Smiley: laugh
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#13 Jan 11 2013 at 6:33 PM Rating: Decent
******
21,718 posts
Paskil wrote:
Greatest. Video. Evar.


I dunno about the video, but I love the song. I'm a huge fan of the genre I like to call "80s movie soundtracks".
____________________________
R.I.P. Jessica M. 5/3/2010
This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.
gbaji wrote:
You guys keep tossing facts out there like they mean something.


#14 Jan 12 2013 at 1:43 PM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
36,194 posts
Aripyanfar wrote:
But I've been shocked by developing a taste for "Islands in the Stream" by Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers in my adult years, along with a deep love of the whole ABBA repertoire, when they used to make me barf as a young child.


"Islands in the Stream" is an awesome song. My dad's a bit of a Dolly fan, so I grew up listening to a lot of her songs. And with my mom being Swedish, ABBA was sort of a big thing as well. The best thing about ABBA is that their music videos are so 80's, it's almost scary.

Also, Agnetha and Anni-Frid were pretty hot. That's relevant.
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#15 Jan 12 2013 at 3:22 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
I didn't so much "miss" Cage the Elephant's 'Ain't No Rest for the Wicked' so much as I've just had it rattling around my mp3 player for years with no idea that it was the opening theme song for the popular Borderlands video game. I started playing it the other day and was "Oh, hey!" and it makes me chuckle to think there's a decent chunk of people who might have heard me playing me it over the past years and thought "That guy is playing the Borderlands song..."
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#16 Jan 13 2013 at 1:56 PM Rating: Good
Paskil wrote:
Also, someone that is HUGE that you maybe haven't seen. They play to massive, adoring crowds. Typically at festivals. Gogol Bordello puts on amazing live shows.



Here's a pretty awesome example of them at Coachella.





Gogol Bordello are a great band.
____________________________
Love,
PunkFloyd
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 57 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (57)