Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Beer Drinkers, a question(or two).Follow

#1 Dec 13 2012 at 11:55 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
27,649 posts
My cousin drove five hours to buy this stuff. They sold out before he made it there, but the fact that he drove five hours mystifies me. My sister says that it's a perfectly understandable thing to do.

So, my question: Is this normal, or am I right to be mystified?
____________________________
Someone on another forum wrote:
Wow, you've got an awesome writing style.! I really dig the narrator's back story, humor, sarcasm, and the plethora of pop culture references. Altogether a refreshingly different RotR journal (not that I don't like the more traditional ones, mind you).

#2 Dec 13 2012 at 12:15 PM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
11,975 posts
Huh, there's a store in my city that's selling it... I have to admit, I am curious what the "best beer in the world" tastes like.

Not sure if I'm $85 worth of curious, though. Also it very well might be sold out by now.

Edit: Considering my "normal" beer of choice is Yuengling, and Shock Top is considered "splurging" for me, I'm thinking I won't be buying this beer Smiley: laugh

Edited, Dec 13th 2012 1:17pm by LockeColeMA
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#3 Dec 13 2012 at 12:20 PM Rating: Good
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,706 posts
I wouldn't spend $85 on a 6 pack now, but 6+ years ago, BC, I sure would have.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#4 Dec 13 2012 at 12:23 PM Rating: Excellent
Unforkgettable
*****
13,251 posts
Say some extremely limited edition [item related to a hobby you enjoy] will be made available for you to obtain for possibly the only time. The closest place that had this item is five hours away. They do not ship. There's nothing you'd be willing to go on that kind of trip for?

Not that I think everyone has a hobby where they collect rare items or whatever, but it's not surprising to me that someone would travel to support a hobby they enjoy. People travel distances for concerts and events, why not for beer? If I make a road trip to go visit a brewery, is that something you cannot understand?
____________________________
Banh
#5 Dec 13 2012 at 12:26 PM Rating: Excellent
That's pretty normal behavior for Trappist beer.

It's good, although I'm not sure I'd say best in the world. It'd certainly be worth doing it once.
____________________________
01001001 00100000 01001100 01001001 01001011 01000101 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001011 01000101
You'll always be stupid, you'll just be stupid with more information in your brain
Forum FAQ
#6 Dec 13 2012 at 12:29 PM Rating: Excellent
******
44,002 posts
I may, or may not, have gone out of my way to get John Romita, Sr and Stan Lee to sign an old Spider-Man comic, and I may, or may not, have paid a pretty penny when it was all said and done. It's also probably not hanging on the wall in my office. Like said, maybe a few years ago I might for beer, but now not so much. Then again, I can't imagine going five hours anywhere out of my way to get anything.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#7 Dec 13 2012 at 12:30 PM Rating: Excellent
Westvleteren is the only Trappist ale that hasn't been available in the US. I'd heard about the limited release back at the beginning of the year. Those gift boxes were supposed to be here back in April and I hunted around but no one knew what the **** I was talking about. I'm definitely going to get one or two of those boxes for myself. I can then say I've had each of the Trappist ales. There are only seven Trappist ale brewers.

At any rate, unless you're already an appreciator of good craft beer it's going to be completely lost on you and probably not worth the money. If you want to try a good Trappist that doesn't have a hefty price tag I'd recommend Rochefort 8 or a Westmalle Dubbel. Those are both damned good beers that aren't too hard to find and will probably taste the same as a Westvleteren if you've never had a Trappist ale.
____________________________
Love,
PunkFloyd
#8 Dec 13 2012 at 12:41 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
11,896 posts
On a scale of crazy or obsessive behavior, I'd consider pretty mild. Somewhere below things like camping out for a week for seats to a One Direction concert, taking a Twilight tour in Forks, or showing up shirtless to a football game in -20 degree weather.

The One and Only Poldaran wrote:
So, my question: Is this normal, or am I right to be mystified?


That's not an 'or' question. Smiley: clown
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#9 Dec 13 2012 at 12:52 PM Rating: Good
******
27,272 posts
Sir Xsarus wrote:
That's pretty normal behavior for Trappist beer Westvleteren.

It's good, although I'm not sure I'd say best in the world. It'd certainly be worth doing it once.
I've had it a couple times (although for much less than $14) and while they are, in my opinion, the best of their kind they're by no means worth splurging on more than once since they're not that much better and very similar to Rochefort and St Bernardus which I could get 3-4 bottles of for the same money.
Then again, people pay $190 for a bottle of Sam Adam's Utopias and tickets to Dark Lord Day (which cost $15 retail and get you 2 65cl bottles of Dark Lord) went for over $150 on the black market this year.

Although I'm not really one to talk, I've spent €9,50 on a 35cl bottle and around €25 for a 75cl bottle before...



As for Poldaran's cousin, I can't blame him. Short of trading or a trip to the abbey in Belgium, it's impossible to get this beer in the states.
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#10 Dec 13 2012 at 1:28 PM Rating: Good
Sage
****
4,041 posts
I'd equate a 6-pack of high quality beer to a bottle and a half of wine, so we're talking about spending $60 on a bottle of wine. Not unheard of at all, I don't think the price is too outlandish, people are obviously willing to go out of their way to pay it, as an enthusiast it's one of those things you can brag about having done that can inspire a bit of envy in your fellows.
#11 Dec 13 2012 at 2:35 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
4,274 posts
People travel the world to buy fine wines for thousands of dollars. This is pretty tame by comparison.
#12 Dec 13 2012 at 2:38 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
27,649 posts
Spoonless wrote:
Say some extremely limited edition [item related to a hobby you enjoy] will be made available for you to obtain for possibly the only time. The closest place that had this item is five hours away. They do not ship. There's nothing you'd be willing to go on that kind of trip for?
Assuming I had the money to make the drive, I'd drive that far for *** or to visit family. I really don't think that there's anything from any of my hobbies that I'd be willing to make that drive for.
____________________________
Someone on another forum wrote:
Wow, you've got an awesome writing style.! I really dig the narrator's back story, humor, sarcasm, and the plethora of pop culture references. Altogether a refreshingly different RotR journal (not that I don't like the more traditional ones, mind you).

#13 Dec 13 2012 at 2:38 PM Rating: Excellent
Word Kludger
36 posts
I'm just going to bask in the excellent beer craftsmanship we have here in Europe :)
____________________________
Gareth "Gazimoff" Harmer
Senior Contributing Editor | ZAM Network
#14 Dec 13 2012 at 2:54 PM Rating: Good
******
27,272 posts
Gazimoff wrote:
I'm just going to bask in the excellent beer craftsmanship we have here in Europe :)
This is all fine and dandy but when you want an IPA or stout (or really anything more adventurous) you're kind of screwed, at least for the more adventurous stuff. Unless you want to pay god awful amounts for Mikkeller or other Scandinavian beers. Although at least in the Netherlands there's a veritable boom in craft beers and it's getting a little more adventurous all the time as well.
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#15 Dec 13 2012 at 3:02 PM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
36,152 posts
When it comes to beer, I'm more of a quantity over quality kind of drinker.

I like a good beer, but I'm not as... enthusiastic about it as some people are. If I had the choice between one good beer and a six-pack of regular ol' pils, I'd pick the latter, because it gives me more beer. It's the same with food. I like (well, like might be too much... I don't mind) gourmet dinners, but if I had to choose between this and a bowl of, say, spaghetti bolognese, I'd pick the bolognese.

That being said, my parents were kind enough to procure a pack of these for me last week. I intend to enjoy one with my bowl of spaghetti bolognese in a moment. Smiley: smile
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#16 Dec 13 2012 at 3:13 PM Rating: Good
******
27,272 posts
Carnegie Porter is good stuff, pretty **** good when aged for a year or two as well. And I'd pick the fancy food over a bowl of spaghetti any day.
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#17 Dec 13 2012 at 3:27 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,467 posts
I wonder if the local bottle shop got any of those cases. Going to have to swing by and see.

I'm actually not a huge fan of the Trappist beers. They're good, don't get me wrong, but I like things that stray off the beaten path. Last night I had Terrapins' Liquid Bliss, which is basically Moose Tracks in a mug. Smiley: drool
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#18 Dec 13 2012 at 3:48 PM Rating: Excellent
****
6,470 posts
Totally normal behavior.

I'm curious, but I'd much rather try to swing a trip to Belgium to see the brewery in person and try it firsthand. I can't imagine that the true taste holds up through the process of shipping it stateside.

We'll be in Munich for Oktoberfest next year, so who knows? Granted, I've got no idea whether or not a tour's feasible.

Edited, Dec 13th 2012 4:49pm by Eske
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#19 Dec 13 2012 at 4:15 PM Rating: Good
******
27,272 posts
Eske Esquire wrote:
Totally normal behavior.

I'm curious, but I'd much rather try to swing a trip to Belgium to see the brewery in person and try it firsthand. I can't imagine that the true taste holds up through the process of shipping it stateside.

We'll be in Munich for Oktoberfest next year, so who knows? Granted, I've got no idea whether or not a tour's feasible.
The taste'll hold up no problem and since the Westvleteren 8 and 12 are beers that are very well suited to aging (the blonde not so much) there's very little risk there unless they've been left out in direct sunlight for a couple hours.

And the brewery has a tasting room but as far as I'm aware no tours and if you want to buy some bottles to take home you'll either have to buy the 1 of each packs they sell at the tasting room or you're going to have to rent a car and call ahead with a couple phones to try and get a crate on the pickup date. Although if you do manage to get a crate, you'll have 24 bottles for less than the 6pack discussed in this thread.
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#20 Dec 13 2012 at 5:13 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
12,004 posts
The One and Only Poldaran wrote:
Spoonless wrote:
Say some extremely limited edition [item related to a hobby you enjoy] will be made available for you to obtain for possibly the only time. The closest place that had this item is five hours away. They do not ship. There's nothing you'd be willing to go on that kind of trip for?
Assuming I had the money to make the drive, I'd drive that far for *** or to visit family. I really don't think that there's anything from any of my hobbies that I'd be willing to make that drive for.


You'll have to go further than 5hrs out if you ever want to get to the maid cafe.
____________________________
Just as Planned.
#21 Dec 13 2012 at 11:40 PM Rating: Good
Wants you as a new recruit!
*****
17,362 posts
Timelordwho wrote:
The One and Only Poldaran wrote:
Spoonless wrote:
Say some extremely limited edition [item related to a hobby you enjoy] will be made available for you to obtain for possibly the only time. The closest place that had this item is five hours away. They do not ship. There's nothing you'd be willing to go on that kind of trip for?
Assuming I had the money to make the drive, I'd drive that far for *** or to visit family. I really don't think that there's anything from any of my hobbies that I'd be willing to make that drive for.


You'll have to go further than 5hrs out if you ever want to get to the maid cafe.


Can't walk 20 feet in Akihabara without being handed a flyer for a maid cafe.
____________________________
Bringing derail™ back.
Smiley: canada
Qui s'estime petit deviendra grand.
#22 Dec 14 2012 at 7:14 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,065 posts
The One and Only Poldaran wrote:

So, my question: Is this normal, or am I right to be mystified?
It's normal for a person with a passion to expend that level of resource to pursue their interests.

I've driven 4.5 hours one-way just to have lunch with my daughter. It's well worth the effort.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#23 Dec 14 2012 at 8:34 AM Rating: Good
******
44,002 posts
The One and Only Poldaran wrote:
Assuming I had the money to make the drive, I'd drive that far for *** or to visit family.
Save some bucks and do both on the same trip. I'm a problem solver.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#24 Dec 14 2012 at 9:37 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
27,649 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
The One and Only Poldaran wrote:
Assuming I had the money to make the drive, I'd drive that far for *** or to visit family.
Save some bucks and do both on the same trip. I'm a problem solver.
My girlfriend lives halfway between where I live and where my sister and brother in law live. Picking her up on the way makes this possible in a non-creepy way.
____________________________
Someone on another forum wrote:
Wow, you've got an awesome writing style.! I really dig the narrator's back story, humor, sarcasm, and the plethora of pop culture references. Altogether a refreshingly different RotR journal (not that I don't like the more traditional ones, mind you).

#25 Dec 14 2012 at 9:45 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
12,004 posts
The One and Only Poldaran wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
The One and Only Poldaran wrote:
Assuming I had the money to make the drive, I'd drive that far for *** or to visit family.
Save some bucks and do both on the same trip. I'm a problem solver.
My girlfriend lives halfway between where I live and where my sister and brother in law live. Picking her up on the way makes this possible in a non-creepy way.


So, you make her watch? I don't really follow you.
____________________________
Just as Planned.
#26 Dec 15 2012 at 1:29 AM Rating: Decent
******
21,717 posts
Timelordwho wrote:
The One and Only Poldaran wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
The One and Only Poldaran wrote:
Assuming I had the money to make the drive, I'd drive that far for *** or to visit family.
Save some bucks and do both on the same trip. I'm a problem solver.
My girlfriend lives halfway between where I live and where my sister and brother in law live. Picking her up on the way makes this possible in a non-creepy way.


So, you make her watch? I don't really follow you.
I believe his brother does the filming.
____________________________
R.I.P. Jessica M. 5/3/2010
This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.
gbaji wrote:
You guys keep tossing facts out there like they mean something.


#27 Dec 15 2012 at 1:57 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
27,649 posts
I'm starting to think having nothing to read but Alma and Gbaji arguing is affecting you people.
____________________________
Someone on another forum wrote:
Wow, you've got an awesome writing style.! I really dig the narrator's back story, humor, sarcasm, and the plethora of pop culture references. Altogether a refreshingly different RotR journal (not that I don't like the more traditional ones, mind you).

#28 Dec 15 2012 at 6:21 AM Rating: Decent
******
21,717 posts
The One and Only Poldaran wrote:
I'm starting to think having nothing to read but Alma and Gbaji arguing is affecting you people.

I guess that depends on your definition of affecting.
____________________________
R.I.P. Jessica M. 5/3/2010
This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.
gbaji wrote:
You guys keep tossing facts out there like they mean something.


#29 Dec 16 2012 at 8:56 AM Rating: Good
******
27,272 posts
BrownDuck wrote:
The One and Only Poldaran wrote:
I'm starting to think having nothing to read but Alma and Gbaji arguing is affecting you people.

I guess that depends on your definition of affecting.
If anyone actually reads their posts it probably has an effect, simply because reading so much inane babbling must give one a headache.
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#30 Dec 17 2012 at 8:42 AM Rating: Excellent
******
44,002 posts
I read them. I figure it is good resistance training for the possibility of being captured and tortured.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 49 All times are in CDT
Szabo, Anonymous Guests (48)