Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

Hit a deer.Follow

#1 Oct 26 2012 at 8:28 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
16,909 posts
First time ever, but it was kind of a blessing.

A month or two ago I gave a telephone pole a little love tap. A backing up accident, turned sharp to my right and the pole was in my blind spot, cracked the front quarter panel on my vehicle. Kept putting off getting it fixed, didn't want to file with the insurance company, etc. Then fast forward 4-5 weeks, early morning, hit a deer. Right in the exact same spot. Busted up the headlight a bit, and pushed the panel back into the door so as I opened it, the crinkled the panel even more.

Now I get to have it all fixed, and pay a much smaller deductible than if I had to file a collision claim. So hitting the deer saved me 400 dollars.
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#2 Oct 26 2012 at 8:40 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
29,913 posts
and hey, free deer right?
____________________________
Arch Duke Kaolian Drachensborn, lvl 95 Ranger, Unrest Server
Tech support forum | FAQ (Support) | Mobile Zam: http://m.zam.com (Premium only)
Forum Rules
#3 Oct 26 2012 at 8:52 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*****
12,280 posts
Was it a buck? If so attach the antlers to the hood of your car so you can challenge the other deer for their territory. Once you win you'll have a deer-free driving route, and all the doe you can tap.
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#4 Oct 26 2012 at 9:04 PM Rating: Decent
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
16,909 posts
It was a small deer, antlerless. Not sure if male or female.

It was a slightly strange year apparently. There were fawns running around well into the fall. The one I hit looked like it had just lost its spots. There was a doe and two other small, but spotless, deer with it on the other side of the road when I hit this one.
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#5 Oct 27 2012 at 1:50 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
For about $60 you can buy a colony of dermestid beetles. Animal skulls can sell for around $50+ each. I wonder if you could make worthwhile money collecting roadkill and selling the skulls (and potentially other bones, although I'm guessing vehicle damage would put a crimp in that). Just line your trunk with something and every time you see a roadside corpse, toss 'er in the trunk.

Consider this my free money making tip passed on to you since I don't think Flea is going to let me start this enterprise.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#6 Oct 28 2012 at 7:41 AM Rating: Decent
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,595 posts
Jophiel wrote:
For about $60 you can buy a colony of dermestid beetles. Animal skulls can sell for around $50+ each. I wonder if you could make worthwhile money collecting roadkill and selling the skulls (and potentially other bones, although I'm guessing vehicle damage would put a crimp in that). Just line your trunk with something and every time you see a roadside corpse, toss 'er in the trunk.

Consider this my free money making tip passed on to you since I don't think Flea is going to let me start this enterprise.

Back when I was beading I stopped a couple times and collected porcupine quills from roadkill.

These days though I'd think you could sell animal bits pretty readily on the intranet. Trapping around here, for skins, has gotten pretty lucrative in the last few years. I wonder if squirrel tails would sell?
____________________________
Alma wrote:
I lost my post
#7 Oct 29 2012 at 2:22 PM Rating: Good
Encyclopedia
******
34,982 posts
TirithRR wrote:
It was a small deer, antlerless. Not sure if male or female.

It was a slightly strange year apparently. There were fawns running around well into the fall. The one I hit looked like it had just lost its spots. There was a doe and two other small, but spotless, deer with it on the other side of the road when I hit this one.


So you basically killed Bambi.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#8 Oct 29 2012 at 2:51 PM Rating: Good
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
35,379 posts
Bambi's 60 years old. I don't think it was Bambi.

edit: 70. Math's hard

Edited, Oct 29th 2012 5:52pm by Uglysasquatch
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.


An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#9 Oct 29 2012 at 5:08 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
16,909 posts
gbaji wrote:
TirithRR wrote:
It was a small deer, antlerless. Not sure if male or female.

It was a slightly strange year apparently. There were fawns running around well into the fall. The one I hit looked like it had just lost its spots. There was a doe and two other small, but spotless, deer with it on the other side of the road when I hit this one.


So you basically killed Bambi.


And saved me 400 dollars on car insurance!
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#10 Nov 01 2012 at 4:21 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,826 posts
And allowed you to commit insurance fraud!!!

Maybe you and Gbaji should hang out. Insurance frauds and tax cheats go hand in hand!
____________________________
Sir Xsarus wrote:
That's pretty much the best ninja edit ever.


World of Warcraft
Aggramar Alliance
Allizsah: 92 Human Paladin
#11 Nov 01 2012 at 4:34 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
How is it fraud if he did legitimately hit the deer?

At this point, it's not like he can tell the body shop to only replace the deer crumpled parts of the fender and leave the crack in the middle alone.

Fraud would have been calling the insurance company last week and telling them he hit a pesky unicorn that jumped in his way.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#12 Nov 01 2012 at 4:47 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
16,909 posts
It's not like they'd be able to replace the panel to the exact state it was prior to the deer collision.

And if you think about it, I saved the insurance company close to 3300 dollars. If I had filed the initial claim and got it fixed, It would have cost 3800 dollars, minus my 500 deductible. Then again another 3800 minus my 100 deductible. The insurance company would have paid out 7000 dollars. Now they only pay out 3700.
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#13 Nov 02 2012 at 6:02 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,826 posts
I'm guessing when they did the estimate for the deer hit, you didn't mention that you had had a previous collision with something in the same area. That's the part that's fraud. I agree you saved the insurance company money, but technically you should have paid your collision deductible.
____________________________
Sir Xsarus wrote:
That's pretty much the best ninja edit ever.


World of Warcraft
Aggramar Alliance
Allizsah: 92 Human Paladin
#14 Nov 02 2012 at 5:26 PM Rating: Decent
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
16,909 posts
But we're talking a cosmetic dent and paint chipping/cracking (that may have lead to rust) with the pole hit, and a panel shift interfering with the door opening and a headlight enclosure shattering caused by the deer hit (as well as a few cosmetic dents down the length of the vehicle caused by the body of the deer).

If you had dent in your bumper because of a small collision, but a month later a tree limb fell on your car and put an even larger dent in same the general area, would you file a collision claim because of the existing damage in the same area?
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#15 Nov 05 2012 at 9:32 AM Rating: Good
***
2,826 posts
If the first hit was minor, then yes I agree with you. The way I read it, it sounded like the deer hit didn't really cause that much more damage.
____________________________
Sir Xsarus wrote:
That's pretty much the best ninja edit ever.


World of Warcraft
Aggramar Alliance
Allizsah: 92 Human Paladin
#16 Nov 05 2012 at 9:55 AM Rating: Good
******
49,824 posts
Uglysasquatch wrote:
Bambi's 70 years old. I don't think it was Bambi.
He killed one of the many direct-to-video sequels, and no one cared.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#17 Nov 05 2012 at 7:09 PM Rating: Good
Cervixhouse-Five
******
30,646 posts
Bigdaddyjug wrote:
If the first hit was minor, then yes I agree with you. The way I read it, it sounded like the deer hit didn't really cause that much more damage.


The way I read it, the first hit (telephone pole) didn't do much damage other than cosmetic. The deer did.
#19 Nov 06 2012 at 7:32 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,826 posts
Belkira wrote:
Bigdaddyjug wrote:
If the first hit was minor, then yes I agree with you. The way I read it, it sounded like the deer hit didn't really cause that much more damage.


The way I read it, the first hit (telephone pole) didn't do much damage other than cosmetic. The deer did.


Well he said he cracked his front quarter panel, by which I assume he means his fender. A cracked fender isn't really cosmetic damage. but whatever.
____________________________
Sir Xsarus wrote:
That's pretty much the best ninja edit ever.


World of Warcraft
Aggramar Alliance
Allizsah: 92 Human Paladin
#20 Nov 06 2012 at 2:44 PM Rating: Good
Cervixhouse-Five
******
30,646 posts
Bigdaddyjug wrote:
Belkira wrote:
Bigdaddyjug wrote:
If the first hit was minor, then yes I agree with you. The way I read it, it sounded like the deer hit didn't really cause that much more damage.


The way I read it, the first hit (telephone pole) didn't do much damage other than cosmetic. The deer did.


Well he said he cracked his front quarter panel, by which I assume he means his fender. A cracked fender isn't really cosmetic damage. but whatever.


If it doesn't impede your ability to drive your car in an effective and safe manner, then I don't see how it's anything but cosmetic.

A busted headlight and difficulty opening the driver side door, however, are definitely more than just cosmetic.
#21 Nov 13 2012 at 8:02 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,089 posts
so.......did you keep the meat?
____________________________
SSubZero wrote:

MNK: "OK we're gonna go in and get those items."
WHM: "Did you have a plan?"
MNK: "Plan? I was going to walk through the front door and start punching people."
#22 Nov 13 2012 at 8:07 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
16,909 posts
No, I didn't even stop. It was a small deer and it did no real damage to my vehicle, I didn't bother. I asked the insurance company about it that day and they said they did not need a police report.

Opening day is Thursday, I'm positive I'll have enough venison from friends and family to appease my appetite for the year.
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#23 Nov 14 2012 at 5:58 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,826 posts
TirithRR wrote:
No, I didn't even stop. It was a small deer and it did no real damage to my vehicle, I didn't bother. I asked the insurance company about it that day and they said they did not need a police report.

Opening day is Thursday, I'm positive I'll have enough venison from friends and family to appease my appetite for the year.


Backstrap, sliced into medallions, pounded thin, panneed and served with fettucini alfredo is one of my favorite things to eat.
____________________________
Sir Xsarus wrote:
That's pretty much the best ninja edit ever.


World of Warcraft
Aggramar Alliance
Allizsah: 92 Human Paladin
#24 Nov 15 2012 at 5:42 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
16,909 posts
The stuff brought in by friends and family usually comes in the form of venison jerky or sausage. Occasionally pickled venison hearts. Or ground up and replaces pork/beef in other recipes. Rarely a steak or two are brought in.
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#25 Nov 15 2012 at 5:55 PM Rating: Good
***
2,826 posts
Yeah, one of my mom's former co-workers was a hunter and whenever he killed a deer he would turn the backstrap into cutlets and bring it to the office and cook it in the full kitchen they had. And he would always make sure to tell my mom to invite me over to have lunch with them if I wasn't working.
____________________________
Sir Xsarus wrote:
That's pretty much the best ninja edit ever.


World of Warcraft
Aggramar Alliance
Allizsah: 92 Human Paladin
#26 Nov 16 2012 at 5:02 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
7,547 posts


call your local radio!
____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. **** OFF YOU. **** YOUR ******** SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS ******* ****** BINARY ***. ALL DAY LONG.

« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 1 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (1)