Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Advice on a purchase, please.Follow

#1 Aug 18 2012 at 5:57 PM Rating: Excellent
Cervixhouse-Five
******
30,635 posts
Hopefully, I will very soon be in the market for a pair of noise-cancelling headphones. I know next to nothing about headphones. I would rather not spend an arm and a leg on them, but, with luck, they will be for work and will be used on an almost daily basis, so I don't want to have to replace them every few months, either.

I do not want earbuds. I'm assuming earbud type headphones are not noise cancelling anyway, but I cannot express how much I hate these things. I guess my ears are tinier than the average human (like another body part AMIRITE?!?!) and earbuds cause me pain that I'd rather not have to live through on a daily basis.

Thanks and rate ups to those who help! Smiley: flowers
#2 Aug 18 2012 at 6:04 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*****
11,922 posts
Bose makes a good pair of them. You're right on the earbug versions being trash though.

I can't give you personal recc's because I use a monophone.
____________________________
"India black magic anal sex zionist blow job terrorism child rape bicycle"
Just as Planned.
#3 Aug 18 2012 at 6:08 PM Rating: Excellent
******
43,447 posts
Most noise cancellation headphones are gonna cost you a few dimes. I mean, like TLW mentions, Bose are good but tend to run over $200 a pair. I think Sony makes a pair for half that, but even that seems a bit of a price tag in my opinion.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#4 Aug 18 2012 at 6:20 PM Rating: Excellent
Cervixhouse-Five
******
30,635 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Most noise cancellation headphones are gonna cost you a few dimes. I mean, like TLW mentions, Bose are good but tend to run over $200 a pair. I think Sony makes a pair for half that, but even that seems a bit of a price tag in my opinion.


I suppose I'd be willing to pay around $100 or so. I mean, it will be for work and I would be using them all the time.

Thanks, guys.
#5 Aug 18 2012 at 8:09 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
27,024 posts
Timelordwho wrote:
Bose makes a good pair of them. You're right on the earbug versions being trash though.

I can't give you personal recc's because I use a monophone.
Bose falls into the same category as Skullcandy, Beats and whatnot in that they sell a brand more than they sell audio equipment. So you're paying a premium for the marketing on them.

Personally I'd go with a good pair of over ear headphones and skip the noise-cancelling because over ear headphones are going to insulate you from a lot of sound anyway and noise-cancelling bumps up the price so you'd either be spending more or compromising on sound quality.
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#6 Aug 18 2012 at 8:15 PM Rating: Good
Cervixhouse-Five
******
30,635 posts
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Personally I'd go with a good pair of over ear headphones and skip the noise-cancelling because over ear headphones are going to insulate you from a lot of sound anyway and noise-cancelling bumps up the price so you'd either be spending more or compromising on sound quality.


The plan is to be working from home transcribing medical records. If my husband is home and wants to watch TV or play music, or my dog decides that there is a tasty mongoose running around our yard and she has to challenge it to a fight to the death by barking spastically, I want to know that I won't be disturbed. Do you think that basic, over ear headphones will be enough? I think I'll be in a different room from the TV, though that largely depends on the next house we're able to rent... And he is usually reasonable if I ask him to turn the volume down... Usually. Smiley: grin
#7 Aug 18 2012 at 8:36 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
27,024 posts
My dad often listens to music on his headphone while my sisters watch shows together and they'll be about 6 feet apart. The few times I've used his headphones there you have to speak up pretty loud to get through the headphones and whatever noise is coming out of them.

So yeah, if you have good quality over ear headphones you'll more than likely be fine.


There's some stuff on it in here. Plus a whole lot more info since it's a buyer's guide.

Edit, if you want to make sure, this one is in their list for entry level: "Shure SRH440, $75-$100. Great isolation, folds for portability, and detachable cable. Clean sound, somewhat neutral." They're not very pretty but that'll keep the noise out.

Edited, Aug 19th 2012 4:43am by Aethien
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#8 Aug 18 2012 at 8:50 PM Rating: Good
Cervixhouse-Five
******
30,635 posts
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
My dad often listens to music on his headphone while my sisters watch shows together and they'll be about 6 feet apart. The few times I've used his headphones there you have to speak up pretty loud to get through the headphones and whatever noise is coming out of them.

So yeah, if you have good quality over ear headphones you'll more than likely be fine.


There's some stuff on it in here. Plus a whole lot more info since it's a buyer's guide.

Edit, if you want to make sure, this one is in their list for entry level: "Shure SRH440, $75-$100. Great isolation, folds for portability, and detachable cable. Clean sound, somewhat neutral." They're not very pretty but that'll keep the noise out.

Edited, Aug 19th 2012 4:43am by Aethien


Awesome. Thanks, Aethien!!
#9 Aug 18 2012 at 11:23 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
29,859 posts
I like my set of these: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/webcam-communications/internet-headsets-phones/wireless-gaming-headset-g930
____________________________
Arch Duke Kaolian Drachensborn, lvl 95 Ranger, Unrest Server
Tech support forum | FAQ (Support) | Mobile Zam: http://m.zam.com (Premium only)
Forum Rules
#10 Aug 18 2012 at 11:31 PM Rating: Good
Cervixhouse-Five
******
30,635 posts


Can you hear everything crystal clear? They look pretty boss... Smiley: lol
#11 Aug 18 2012 at 11:38 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
29,859 posts
Yeah, they are really nice. I'd put them on par with my plantronics wired set in terms of clarity. Plus the microphone is great too if you need to do any recording. I really like the directional aspect for gaming. Makes listening for hill giants sneaking up behind you to squish you that much more entertaining. You could probably get a higher level of fidelity with a really high end wired harmon kardon set or something along those lines, but speaking as a somewhat trained amature musician trombone player with perfect pitch, the sound is excellent as far as I can tell.
____________________________
Arch Duke Kaolian Drachensborn, lvl 95 Ranger, Unrest Server
Tech support forum | FAQ (Support) | Mobile Zam: http://m.zam.com (Premium only)
Forum Rules
#12 Aug 19 2012 at 1:47 AM Rating: Excellent
Keeper of the Shroud
*****
13,045 posts
I have a set of these. I did a fair amount of research before I bought them and from what I could find, they have the best sound quality you're going get for under a hundred dollars. They are fairly comfortable, have an eleven foot cord, which is handy at times, and honestly, I've never heard better sound out of a pair of headphones. Since you're worried about outside sounds interfering, I'll mention that when I use them, I can't hear a thing other than what's coming out of the headphones.
#13 Aug 19 2012 at 3:04 AM Rating: Good
Cervixhouse-Five
******
30,635 posts
Nice, Turin, thanks!!

Kao, rate yourself up twice for me, willya?
#14 Aug 19 2012 at 8:32 AM Rating: Good
****
7,819 posts
Some of the best headphones I've had were from Koss and Sennheiser.

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/headphones

http://www.koss.com/
____________________________
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/ImGatomon/Request.jpg

. “Power even if it is raw uncontrolled potential is just as dangerous as a trained assassin. It is unpredictable and deadly if your are not prepared." ~Gatomon From the story A Fox Among Wolves.
#15 Aug 19 2012 at 2:40 PM Rating: Excellent
I know the Beats (Monster beats) by Dr. Dre are awesome had noise reduction. Just putting them on w/ no music can turn the world down some.

There is also this: Tek4 I thought about getting a pair of these for work, as I wear noise reduction earbuds (I'm allowed to listen to my music/audio books as I don't actually need to talk to others often). I have tried them on (in store) and they seemed to be pretty awesome and do what they say they can do.
____________________________
Sandinmyeye | **** | Dihydrogen Monoxide (it kills)
#16 Aug 20 2012 at 2:38 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,089 posts
I can't for the life of me find them right now, but i have a pair of sony headphones with NR. I use them in the same room as the TV while my wife is watching and I can barely hear it when it's cranked. That's just with the NR on and pink noise playing. But really any over the ear headphones are usually good enough. Try a cheapo pair from the source(or whatever the US equivalent is) and see how they feel before dropping 100$.
____________________________
SSubZero wrote:

MNK: "OK we're gonna go in and get those items."
WHM: "Did you have a plan?"
MNK: "Plan? I was going to walk through the front door and start punching people."
#17 Aug 29 2012 at 11:08 PM Rating: Good
***
3,362 posts
I bought some Sennheiser HD 280 Pro's a few months ago and they've been extremely nice to me. I don't know enough on the subject to elucidate, but they're definitely a pair to consider in that price range.
#19 Sep 01 2012 at 9:25 AM Rating: Decent
^ awesome. This thread just got AWESOME!
____________________________
Sandinmyeye | **** | Dihydrogen Monoxide (it kills)
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 53 All times are in CDT
Aethien, guardiansgalaxy, Kuwoobie, Szabo, Xsarus, Anonymous Guests (48)