Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2 3 4 5
Reply To Thread

Chick - Fil-A BoycottFollow

#1 Aug 01 2012 at 5:57 PM Rating: Sub-Default
Avatar
****
8,948 posts
So how is the boycott going in your area? I'm out of the country, but looking on Facebook, people are posting pictures of ridiculous size lines at Chick-Fil-A. Doesn't seem to be turning out the way it was planned. Hoax?! Maybe.....
____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
#2 Aug 01 2012 at 6:18 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
14,790 posts
Chick-Fil-A doesn't exist here in western Michigan. (at least not in my town or any town within decent travel distance)

I did visit them a few years ago when I was in Myrtle Beach. The lady at the hotel desk said I had to go, it was the greatest thing ever. I was very disappointed. It's a highly overrated chain.

I'll take KFC over Chick-Fil-A any day. (Hey, that rhymes!)
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#3 Aug 01 2012 at 6:25 PM Rating: Excellent
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,681 posts
I was in Myrtle Beach last week and the one time I drove by a Chick-Fil-A, it was dead.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#4 Aug 01 2012 at 7:24 PM Rating: Excellent
Repressed Memories
******
20,573 posts
It's going so well I've retroactively boycotted them for several years.
#5 Aug 01 2012 at 7:29 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Almalieque wrote:
So how is the boycott going in your area?

I've no idea, having never eaten at one before or living near one. But if a bunch of people who used to go stop going forever (or for a year, whatever), it'll have a lot more lasting impact than a bunch of other people going for a single meal. That's not to say it'll change anything, just that a crowd today isn't really meaningful except as a photo on Facebook. I doubt many people are planning to eat three meals a day there as a show of solidarity.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#6 Aug 01 2012 at 7:35 PM Rating: Decent
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,299 posts
We're half boycotting it.

We will eat there when there is no monetary gain for the company. I already have a cow calendar laden with free food from last Christmas (not buying another one) and it would be a shame to let CFA get away with not giving me my free food. Also, the Red Cross gives away CFA coupons when we give blood, that are BOGO, and since the markup on most restaurant food is around 50% (if not less), we're not actually giving them any profits when we buy two chicken sandwiches for the price of one.

It's a shame, they tend to be some of the nicest, cleanest restaurants around. I've eaten at the original Dwarf House in Hapeville near the ATL airport. And their grilled sandwiches were one of the few really healthy options from fast food I liked.

CFA won't go out of business due to the boycott, but they're going to have a harder time expanding into new markets.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#7 Aug 01 2012 at 8:53 PM Rating: Decent
Internet Footsie Lawyer
*****
12,846 posts
more folks are eating at them today than protesting. The people I know who intentionally went today, went to support free speech - they thought the entire situation was dumb. (Ask a Christian whose business closes EVERY Sunday, what he thinks about **** marriage? And then try to impugn on his free speech , in an effort to promote equality seems idiotic.)

The food is ok. I always liked that kids could eat free on tuesdays, the bathrooms are clean, the whole eatery is clean, the play area is nice and the workers have always been kind. (instead of getting fries you can get fruit, a cool carrot raisin dish and some other not fried options.) I like that they butter the bread instead of using mayo. Really, the COO can believe what he wants because my way of trying to get marriage equality will involve voting.

Edited, Aug 1st 2012 9:53pm by niobia
#8 Aug 01 2012 at 9:16 PM Rating: Decent
It's Just a Flesh Wound
******
22,693 posts
Allegory wrote:
It's going so well I've retroactively boycotted them for several years.

I wanted to post this. :(
____________________________
Dear people I don't like: 凸(●´―`●)凸
#9 Aug 01 2012 at 9:38 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,095 posts
Ate there today, we usually get in there at least once a week.
Great food, employees are always clean, courteous and attentive.
Restaurant is the same.
As a life long American worker and successful raiser of a happy and healthy family...I Love the COO's comments.
It's funny that people love to single out the odd comment and give absolutely no value to the actual deeds of this business. They give more back to the community in their business practices and their contribution to the economy than all their anti blah-blah-whatever protesters put together.
No one ever pays any attention to these bomb throwers in the long run.
As a side note, I hear from many in Chicago that their Mayor hasn't a clue about Chicago's actual values.
____________________________
Over the last 15 months, we've traveled to every corner of the United States. I've now been in 57 states? I think one left to go.

Barack Obama

Laen - 90 Dru
Haam - 90 Sk
Laosha - 90 Shammy
Lutan - 90 Bard
#10 Aug 01 2012 at 9:51 PM Rating: Excellent
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
14,790 posts
You know, my Grandmother boycotted Pepsi because they removed "Under God" from their Pledge of Allegiance limited time cans. Which Pepsi never made. She's quick to jump on the "Boycott everything that goes against Christianity" bandwagon without even checking to make sure it's true.
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#11 Aug 01 2012 at 11:24 PM Rating: Good
Cervixhouse-Five
******
30,642 posts
niobia wrote:
more folks are eating at them today than protesting. The people I know who intentionally went today, went to support free speech - they thought the entire situation was dumb. (Ask a Christian whose business closes EVERY Sunday, what he thinks about **** marriage? And then try to impugn on his free speech , in an effort to promote equality seems idiotic.)


How is refusing to give any money to a company who's owner will use that money to support the effort to stifle civil rights impugning on this guy's free speech...?
#12 Aug 02 2012 at 2:07 AM Rating: Good
I bet you think this title's about you
*****
14,189 posts
niobia wrote:
more folks are eating at them today than protesting. The people I know who intentionally went today, went to support free speech - they thought the entire situation was dumb. (Ask a Christian whose business closes EVERY Sunday, what he thinks about **** marriage? And then try to impugn on his free speech , in an effort to promote equality seems idiotic.)

I've heard this same line over and over today.

The right to free speech simply grants one the freedom from government sanction or infringement. It doesn't mean one can say what they please without consequence. The CEO saying what he did was merely a catalyst for the entire fiasco. It's now public that Chik-fil-a has donated millions to organizations who's sole purpose in existing is to pursue the inequality of an American minority. Free speech is not the issue nor is anyone impugning on his rather than exercising their own.

Edited, Aug 2nd 2012 3:09am by Kaain
____________________________

#13 Aug 02 2012 at 2:29 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
27,177 posts
alwayslost wrote:
It's funny that people love to single out the odd comment and give absolutely no value to the actual deeds of this business.
Like donating millions to anti **** organizations?
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#14 Aug 02 2012 at 5:25 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
alwayslost wrote:
As a side note, I hear from many in Chicago that their Mayor hasn't a clue about Chicago's actual values.

Huh. I haven't heard peep about that from anyone unless they were already predisposed to **** about him, typically because he's a Democrat. I guess we talk to different "many"s. Emanuel will be mayor for as long as he wants the job anyway just like Daley was; he has the correct mix of traits to get elected time and time again.

Anyway, it's good to know that the culture wars are alive and well.

Edited, Aug 2nd 2012 8:01am by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#15 Aug 02 2012 at 6:05 AM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
11,946 posts
I went last week for the first time in like... 6 years? My university had a Chick-fil-A Express in the student center; I used to grab a sandwich there because they were like 2 bucks and they put a pickle in the sandwich. How many sandwiches in express places have pickles? I honestly don't know, but Chick-fil-A did.

Never realized it was an actual, legitimate "eatery" until the media suddenly went ape-sh*t over it. I saw the "National Chick-fil-A eating day to support free speech" announcement from Huckabee and throught to myself, "Why, that's such a great idea, I think it's the smartest thing I've heard since people recommended eating paste!" Freedom of speech? Bah. The politicians who said they'd block expansion into their cities should be fired if they actually follow through; THEY are infringing upon free speech. But the people boycotting a company because it's spent millions to block **** marriage? That's them exercising THEIR freedom of speech. Same as the people who would go on August 1st. The difference being, those folks have no idea that freedom of speech =/= freedom of consequence when you say something people disagree with.

So I went last week. No line, but it was the middle of a Saturday. Clean place. Bought a spicy chicken sandwich. Sandwich was good, waffle fries were ok. The cost was way too high (like, over $7.00 for that? No thanks). Probably my favorite part was getting to choose sauces to go with it. I'm still curious what the Polynesian was.

Overall? I ate there once, found it to be your generic fast food joint (but more expensive), and won't be going back. And it had jack-all to do with agreeing or disagreeing with the company's religious views.
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#16Almalieque, Posted: Aug 02 2012 at 6:59 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Serious question:
#17 Aug 02 2012 at 7:02 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Almalieque wrote:
Are they "anti-gay" organizations or "pro-traditional marriage" organizations? There's a distinct difference.

One sounds better on your letterhead than the other?
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#18 Aug 02 2012 at 7:29 AM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
11,946 posts
Almalieque wrote:
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
alwayslost wrote:
It's funny that people love to single out the odd comment and give absolutely no value to the actual deeds of this business.
Like donating millions to anti **** organizations?


Serious question:

Are they "anti-gay" organizations or "pro-traditional marriage" organizations? There's a distinct difference.

Are you pro-choice or anti-life? Pro-life or anti-abortion? That's the same amount of difference as your argument.

At least one of the organizations receiving funds from CFA/WinShape is Exodus International, which advocates becoming "ex-gay" through pray-away-the-gay reparative therapy. Pretty sure that claiming to stop gayness is anti-gay. Maybe you have a different definition.

Edit to clarify other stances.

Edited, Aug 2nd 2012 9:38am by LockeColeMA
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#19 Aug 02 2012 at 7:36 AM Rating: Good
Drunken English Bastard
*****
15,263 posts
Almalieque wrote:
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
alwayslost wrote:
It's funny that people love to single out the odd comment and give absolutely no value to the actual deeds of this business.
Like donating millions to anti **** organizations?


Serious question:

Are they "anti-gay" organizations or "pro-traditional marriage" organizations? There's a distinct difference.

I'm glad you are opposed to interracial marriage and believe women are property of their father until they become property of their husband.

Could I interest you in signing my petition to revert to the real "traditional marriage".

I've said this before, tradition isn't a good enough reason to deny rights to a group of people.
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#20 Aug 02 2012 at 8:18 AM Rating: Good
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Before this turns into a tedious 100 page **** marriage slog with Alma, I got bored and played with some numbers regarding Chicago.

Chicago has 2.7 million people in its actual city limits; i.e. people who can potentially vote for mayor in the city. The average Republican vote during the 2000 and 2004 elections in Chicago was 35%. I left out the 2008 election because I figured Obama coming from Chicago would bias the results. 35% of 2.7 million is 945,000 people. That's more than enough people to make a noise on Facebook or fill a couple talk radio stations with complaints or tell Alwayslost that Mayor Emanuel is a doody-head. Hell, 945,000 people would make the 11th largest city in the US if they ever decided to form their own enclave somewhere.

I have no idea how many people showed up at the existing CFA in Chicago. Let's call it 500 people. That's 0.05% of the Republicans in the city of Chicago. It's still 500 people; it's not as though I could get 500 people to meet in one place in the city, but it's an insignificant number when discussing city politics. 1,000 people (0.1%) would be insignificant. Especially since I suspect most of those people are already predisposed to vote for a Republican anyway.

But here's the thing... it still doesn't matter. Chicago hasn't had a Republican mayor since 1931. In the last election, there wasn't even a Republican on the ballot (it was a "non-partisan" ballot but everyone on it was a Democrat). And Emanuel, against five opponents, still swept 55% of the vote and avoided a runoff.

The CFA pictures make good "news" in that people like reading about it. They give some people cause to gloat. They're also completely irrelevant as far as Chicago politics go. Anyone grumbling that Emanuel doesn't know Chicago values or whatever is kidding themselves if they think anyone else gives a sh*t. Maybe somewhere else it might matter, I'm just talking Chicago since its at the epicenter of this "controversy".

With all that said, I believe Emanuel was wrong to say it or to threaten to use his powers in that fashion (despite it being a pretty impotent threat given how quickly a lawsuit would fall against him). But the "protests" don't mean anything from a city politics perspective.

[Edit: I realize that not all of of that 2.7mil is eligible to vote for whatever reason but this isn't hard science either so I'm not sweating the details. The percentages would remain largely the same.]

Edited, Aug 2nd 2012 9:19am by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#21 Aug 02 2012 at 8:22 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
27,406 posts
You know, it could just be because I'm not a huge fan of PDA in general, but the Kiss-In numerous news sources have reported is being planned for Friday just seems kinda tacky to me.
____________________________
Someone on another forum wrote:
Wow, you've got an awesome writing style.! I really dig the narrator's back story, humor, sarcasm, and the plethora of pop culture references. Altogether a refreshingly different RotR journal (not that I don't like the more traditional ones, mind you).

#22 Aug 02 2012 at 8:23 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Maybe you're just homo-racist! Smiley: mad

I just looked and apparently "gaycist" is a word. I mean, it's a word in the same sense that "sexting" is a word in that people say it even if it makes the dictionary cry in pain.

Edited, Aug 2nd 2012 9:26am by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#23 Aug 02 2012 at 8:29 AM Rating: Decent
****
7,819 posts
Years back when I worked at the Mall in my area I used to eat there for lunch. The food was never really good. It just was there. Since then I've never
eaten at the place and after what was said I will never ever eat there.
____________________________
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/ImGatomon/Request.jpg

. “Power even if it is raw uncontrolled potential is just as dangerous as a trained assassin. It is unpredictable and deadly if your are not prepared." ~Gatomon From the story A Fox Among Wolves.
#24 Aug 02 2012 at 8:35 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Also, this
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#25 Aug 02 2012 at 9:17 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
8,948 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
Are they "anti-gay" organizations or "pro-traditional marriage" organizations? There's a distinct difference.

One sounds better on your letterhead than the other?


I'm Pro USA, so I want the USA to win the Olympics. That doesn't mean I'm "Anti-Japanese". If the USA isn't participating in an event, I don't care if the Japanese wins, loses or doesn't participate.

There's a huge difference supporting an organization that supports marriage between a man and a woman vs an organization that wants homosexuals dead or in jail with no freedom of any sort. One is supporting a desired set up for marriage and the other is specifically singling out a particular group.

Nilatai wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
alwayslost wrote:
It's funny that people love to single out the odd comment and give absolutely no value to the actual deeds of this business.
Like donating millions to anti **** organizations?


Serious question:

Are they "anti-gay" organizations or "pro-traditional marriage" organizations? There's a distinct difference.

I'm glad you are opposed to interracial marriage and believe women are property of their father until they become property of their husband.

Could I interest you in signing my petition to revert to the real "traditional marriage".

I've said this before, tradition isn't a good enough reason to deny rights to a group of people.


I never claimed that "tradition" was a good enough reason alone for anything. I use the same counter argument for people arguing "tradition" to support the Confederate flag on our state flags. Since when do we simply use tradition to govern anything?

With that being said, your understanding of "tradition" is not the same definition of everyone else understanding of the word "tradition". People just use the term "traditional marriage" to describe marriage at their favorite point in time in history. Albeit they should clarify their stance with something more concrete than "tradition", you should understand that concept.

P.S. As I said before... rights aren't being denied, preferences ARE being denied. The ban on SSM is based on the **** of the person NOT the sexuality. You being a homosexual does NOT take away your RIGHT to marry someone under the same pretenses as your heterosexual counterpart. Is that fair? Of course not. If you want to fight to change that, then so be it. Just please stop saying that "rights" are being taken away. Just because I can't marry the woman I love, because she's already married, doesn't mean I lost the right to marry.
____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
#26 Aug 02 2012 at 9:18 AM Rating: Good
is Happy on Friday!
*****
12,443 posts
What the **** is Chick-Fil-A?


....no seriously, what is it? I've never heard of it before Smiley: confused
____________________________
Theytak, Siren Server
LOLGAXE IS MY ETERNAL RIVAL!

Reiterpallasch wrote:
Glitterhands wrote:
Am I the only one who clicked on this thread expecting actual baby photos [of Jinte]? o.O

Except if it were baby photos, it would be like looking at before and afters of Michael Jackson. Only instead of turning into a white guy, he changes into a chick!
#27 Aug 02 2012 at 9:25 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*****
11,236 posts
Lady Jinte wrote:
What the @#%^ is Chick-Fil-A?


....no seriously, what is it? I've never heard of it before Smiley: confused


It's a fast food chain that caters to religions that don't eat beef/pork by selling various chicken sandwiches that all taste the same. Shakes are great though.
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#28 Aug 02 2012 at 9:27 AM Rating: Good
Meat Popsicle
*****
11,709 posts
Lady Jinte wrote:
What the @#%^ is Chick-Fil-A?


....no seriously, what is it? I've never heard of it before Smiley: confused


Apparently it's a chicken place that doesn't like **** people or something. I remember hearing about them vaguely, and had to google myself. They apparently have one store in Washington and none in Oregon; so then I didn't feel so bad about never having ate there.
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#29 Aug 02 2012 at 9:29 AM Rating: Decent
Drunken English Bastard
*****
15,263 posts
Almalieque wrote:
I never claimed that "tradition" was a good enough reason alone for anything. I use the same counter argument for people arguing "tradition" to support the Confederate flag on our state flags. Since when do we simply use tradition to govern anything?

With that being said, your understanding of "tradition" is not the same definition of everyone else understanding of the word "tradition". People just use the term "traditional marriage" to describe marriage at their favorite point in time in history. Albeit they should clarify their stance with something more concrete than "tradition", you should understand that concept.

P.S. As I said before... rights aren't being denied, preferences ARE being denied. The ban on SSM is based on the **** of the person NOT the sexuality. You being a homosexual does NOT take away your RIGHT to marry someone under the same pretenses as your heterosexual counterpart. Is that fair? Of course not. If you want to fight to change that, then so be it. Just please stop saying that "rights" are being taken away. Just because I can't marry the woman I love, because she's already married, doesn't mean I lost the right to marry.
Awesome.

"Your being a black man does not take away from your right to marry a black woman. You're not allowed to marry white women, though. Your preference is irrelevant! It offends my concept of traditional marriage."


Does that wash? No, of course it doesn't. It is in fact your "right" to marry a woman of whatever racial heritage you like. Would you be supporting the traditional paradigm of only marrying people of the same colour skin right now if that were the case?

Shockingly, it is actually exactly the same argument and you're still wilfully ignorant for not seeing it.
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#30 Aug 02 2012 at 10:11 AM Rating: Excellent
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,681 posts
Deja Vu.



Oh wait, I actually have seen this argument unfold before.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#31 Aug 02 2012 at 10:12 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
11,709 posts
Almalieque wrote:
So how is the boycott going in your area? I'm out of the country, but looking on Facebook, people are posting pictures of ridiculous size lines at Chick-Fil-A. Doesn't seem to be turning out the way it was planned. Hoax?! Maybe.....


Well I'll be darned, they had what was dubbed an appreciation day. Is that what you were going on about?

Yes I know, I'm slow. This is still all oddly fascinating though...
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#32 Aug 02 2012 at 10:40 AM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
I went to a Chick-Fil-A once. My friend who raved about it was hyping up their pickles. I hate pickles. Ordered a sandwich sans-pickle. Sandwich came with pickle. Never went back.

I think it's hilarious that the right has their dander up over the reaction to this.

I think it was Mike Drucker who said: "Silver lining of this Chick-Fil-A thing...all the idiots eating fast food to protest will be dead that much sooner from heart disease." Smiley: lol

Edited, Aug 2nd 2012 12:40pm by Eske
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#33 Aug 02 2012 at 10:53 AM Rating: Excellent
******
43,643 posts
Uglysasquatch wrote:
Oh wait, I actually have seen this argument unfold before.
It wouldn't be nearly as sad if it wasn't the same argument almost word for word.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#34 Aug 02 2012 at 11:04 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
11,709 posts
Eske Esquire wrote:
I think it's hilarious that the right has their dander up over the reaction to this.


They've got this protesting thing down though.

Occupy Wall St:

-Outside in the rain and snow
-Hanging out with homeless people and druggies
-Police beat you with sticks and pepperspray you

Chick-Fil-A:

-Temperature controlled
-Easy access to food/toilets
-Police are directing traffic and helping your friends find you




Edited, Aug 2nd 2012 10:05am by someproteinguy
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#35 Aug 02 2012 at 11:15 AM Rating: Excellent
I tried Chick-Fil-A when they came out my way like 10 or 15 years ago. I was completely unimpressed and have never gone back since. It's just another greasy fast food joint so I pretty much boycott it by default.
____________________________
Love,
PunkFloyd
#36 Aug 02 2012 at 11:42 AM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
someproteinguy wrote:
Eske Esquire wrote:
I think it's hilarious that the right has their dander up over the reaction to this.


They've got this protesting thing down though.

Occupy Wall St:

-Outside in the rain and snow
-Hanging out with homeless people and druggies
-Police beat you with sticks and pepperspray you

Chick-Fil-A:

-Temperature controlled
-Easy access to food/toilets
-Police are directing traffic and helping your friends find you


And they haven't even gotten to the Chick-Fil-A bumper sticker ribbons, yet.
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#37 Aug 02 2012 at 11:49 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
11,709 posts
Eske Esquire wrote:
And they haven't even gotten to the Chick-Fil-A bumper sticker ribbons, yet.


I'm imagining the billboards; picture of a hot gal eating a one of their burgers with something like "Chick-Fil-A, where it's okay for a chick to love another chick" written on it.
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#38 Aug 02 2012 at 11:52 AM Rating: Decent
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,299 posts
Okay, about the pickle thing:

When the Dwarf House Grill (the proto CFA) opened up in Hapeville back in the 60s, the diner didn't have any condiments except pickles. So all their sandwiches were served with a single pickle. And to this day, all sandwiches are served with a single pickle. (They usually hold it if you ask, but like any fast food joint, they get mixed up a lot.)

As for, what is chick fil a? It is juicy white meat chicken, lightly breaded, fried in peanut oil. Then served on a buttered bun. I imagine Paula Dean was a fan before the whole diabetes thing. They also have famous crinkle cut waffle fries, and in southern locations, the added bonus of crinkle cut sweet potato fries. Also fried in peanut oil. Always served too hot; I've burnt my tongue a lot.

And yeah, their best thing is their seasonal milkshakes. Their daily ones are vanilla, strawberry, chocolate, and cookies & cream, but they also rotate out stuff like mint, peppermit crunch, peach, and sometimes wacky flavors. If you want all your day's calories in one sitting, a large CFA milkshake will do it.

We're close enough to the headquarters here that quite a few of ours are corporate owned, not franchises, so I have no qualms about punishing the store directly.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#39 Aug 02 2012 at 12:01 PM Rating: Good
is Happy on Friday!
*****
12,443 posts
Ah, so nothing I care about anyway. We don't have any around here, so it falls into "Fast Food Places I don't think about" along with Whitecastle and Sonic (except that we have sonic commercials on every station, and not a single sonic within a hundred miles. It's very aggravating, because I've had sonic's food before, and liked it). I don't really eat chicken anyway though, not a huge fan of poultry, so I doubt I'd eat it even if we did have one Smiley: lol
____________________________
Theytak, Siren Server
LOLGAXE IS MY ETERNAL RIVAL!

Reiterpallasch wrote:
Glitterhands wrote:
Am I the only one who clicked on this thread expecting actual baby photos [of Jinte]? o.O

Except if it were baby photos, it would be like looking at before and afters of Michael Jackson. Only instead of turning into a white guy, he changes into a chick!
#40 Aug 02 2012 at 12:05 PM Rating: Excellent
PM Me When You're Sober
Avatar
*****
15,784 posts
Belkira wrote:
niobia wrote:
more folks are eating at them today than protesting. The people I know who intentionally went today, went to support free speech - they thought the entire situation was dumb. (Ask a Christian whose business closes EVERY Sunday, what he thinks about **** marriage? And then try to impugn on his free speech , in an effort to promote equality seems idiotic.)


How is refusing to give any money to a company who's owner will use that money to support the effort to stifle civil rights impugning on this guy's free speech...?
It's not. If you're a business owner and you decide to voice your opinion, whether through donations or even when asked, you're opening yourself up to the criticism of your customers. Nobody is stopping this guy from being the bigot he has the right to be, nobody has a problem with his free speech. But as customers, we have the right to choose whether or not to support a business based on where the money we give them is going. My only question to the people who went there to support "free speech" when CFA is being criticized, where were you for JC Penney? Nabisko? How about Microsoft, Apple, Chevy, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Macy's, Starbucks, Levi's, Campbell Soup, American Airlines, American Express, Chase Banks, Bank of America, Barnes & Noble, Wells Fargo, Disney, Target?
#41 Aug 02 2012 at 12:06 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
One of them southern things. Emanuel just needs to wait them out until they fold like Krispy Kreme did out here. Or.. umm... Coca-Cola.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#42 Aug 02 2012 at 12:15 PM Rating: Decent
PM Me When You're Sober
Avatar
*****
15,784 posts
Almalieque wrote:
Jophiel wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
Are they "anti-gay" organizations or "pro-traditional marriage" organizations? There's a distinct difference.

One sounds better on your letterhead than the other?


I'm Pro USA, so I want the USA to win the Olympics. That doesn't mean I'm "Anti-Japanese". If the USA isn't participating in an event, I don't care if the Japanese wins, loses or doesn't participate.

There's a huge difference supporting an organization that supports marriage between a man and a woman vs an organization that wants homosexuals dead or in jail with no freedom of any sort. One is supporting a desired set up for marriage and the other is specifically singling out a particular group.
So these organizations that are "Pro Traditional Marriage" don't really care if gays get married, they just want to make sure the Men and Women are still getting married, right? Because they aren't anti-gay, they are just pro-traditional. It's not like they don't want the gays to get married, they don't really care, but they're more comfortable when men and women are getting married, so as long as that's still happening, I mean, case closed, am I right?
#43 Aug 02 2012 at 12:17 PM Rating: Excellent
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,681 posts
**** Do you honestly think that you're the one who's finally going to get through to Alma? Of course you're not, so stop **** talking to him.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#44 Aug 02 2012 at 12:20 PM Rating: Good
PM Me When You're Sober
Avatar
*****
15,784 posts
Uglysasquatch wrote:
Jesus@#%^ingChrist! Do you honestly think that you're the one who's finally going to get through to Alma? Of course you're not, so stop @#%^ing talking to him.

It's like venting all the frustration I've built up in the last couple of weeks onto some vulnerable, tiny, little, pathetic thing that can't fight back, and it feels good. I know, it's sick, it's wrong, it's inhumane. But it just feels so vindicating. But in all honesty, why are you complaining about anyone posting here, giving you something to read on a forum that gets half or less as many posts as it did a few years ago?
#45 Aug 02 2012 at 12:22 PM Rating: Excellent
****
6,470 posts
Uglysasquatch wrote:
Jesus@#%^ingChrist! Do you honestly think that you're the one who's finally going to get through to Alma? Of course you're not, so stop @#%^ing talking to him.


If anyone ever does get through to him, someone's gonna have to turn it into a movie like The Miracle Worker.


They said it couldn't be done. They said he was incapable of logical thought. They were right.


Until one poster....
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#46 Aug 02 2012 at 12:23 PM Rating: Excellent
******
43,643 posts
Codyy wrote:
It's like venting all the frustration I've built up in the last couple of weeks onto some vulnerable, tiny, little, pathetic thing that can't fight back, and it feels good.
**** It feels better and at the end of the experience you've at least produced something.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#47 Aug 02 2012 at 12:29 PM Rating: Excellent
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,681 posts
Codyy wrote:
But in all honesty, why are you complaining about anyone posting here, giving you something to read on a forum that gets half or less as many posts as it did a few years ago?
Any "discussion" with him isn't worth reading. And if you quote him, I can read him
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#48 Aug 02 2012 at 12:45 PM Rating: Good
PM Me When You're Sober
Avatar
*****
15,784 posts
Uglysasquatch wrote:
Codyy wrote:
But in all honesty, why are you complaining about anyone posting here, giving you something to read on a forum that gets half or less as many posts as it did a few years ago?
Any "discussion" with him isn't worth reading. And if you quote him, I can read him
Well you know, that sort of demeanor might just be why there are still posts on the front page from June. Just saying.
#49 Aug 02 2012 at 1:20 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
27,177 posts
I'd rather read nothing than Alma posts. Just sayin'.

Edited, Aug 2nd 2012 9:20pm by Aethien
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#50 Aug 02 2012 at 1:31 PM Rating: Decent
Internet Footsie Lawyer
*****
12,846 posts
Lady Jinte wrote:
Ah, so nothing I care about anyway. We don't have any around here, so it falls into "Fast Food Places I don't think about" along with Whitecastle and Sonic (except that we have sonic commercials on every station, and not a single sonic within a hundred miles. It's very aggravating, because I've had sonic's food before, and liked it). I don't really eat chicken anyway though, not a huge fan of poultry, so I doubt I'd eat it even if we did have one Smiley: lol


Personally I'm a bigger fan of Bill Millers. I LOVE their tea and brisket. Also, they have a bread bar with homemade pumpernickel. But, unfortunately I'm not in Texas at the moment.
Other fastfood places that I rate above CFA are: Long John Silvers (I f*cking LOVE their fish.), Daphnes (which I can only get in California *cry*), Subway (who finally figured out that avocado is the bomb), Taco Cabana (because I can buy margaritas there.) , and Chipotle.


My mom loves sonic and when I was in college I used to split the Brown Bag special with my friend. At that time it was barely 4 bucks (two burgers, two drinks and two fries wooo)

I remember trying whitecastle back in NYC - they certainly were delicious "belly bombers". ugh
Krystal was about the same but the ones in San Antonio seemed to close overnight along with some of the Five Guys.

Dont mind me obsessing over food, I havent been able to keep anything down since June so Im about ready to go Donnor party on anything that isn't lettuce, parmasean, avocado, tomato, or plain rice. -- those foods stay down sometimes....
#51 Aug 02 2012 at 2:20 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
8,948 posts
Nilatai wrote:

"Your being a black man does not take away from your right to marry a black woman. You're not allowed to marry white women, though. Your preference is irrelevant! It offends my concept of traditional marriage."


Does that wash? No, of course it doesn't.


Yes it does wash. My stance remains.

Your "right" to marry is not removed. You not being able to marry who you want is a restriction that will always exist. It doesn't matter if you could only marry people within your state, of equal height, shorter height, within 5 years of age,same skin color, same occupation, same education, certain financial class or any other restriction.

It could be a lottery where you are randomly chosen to marry someone. As long as everyone is bound to the same restriction, then it is equal by definition and you have the right to marry. Is that fair? No. There is a difference. All I'm asking you to do is argue fairness and not equality. You're simply lying when you say that your right to marry is removed because you can't marry the person you want *if everyone is bound to the same standard*.

Just because one hits home more than others doesn't mean it takes away your right to marry.

Nilatai wrote:
It is in fact your "right" to marry a woman of whatever racial heritage you like. Would you be supporting the traditional paradigm of only marrying people of the same colour skin right now if that were the case?


Almalieque wrote:
Is that fair? Of course not. If you want to fight to change that, then so be it. Just please stop saying that "rights" are being taken away


I never said anything about supporting it. I even stated it wasn't fair. However, that doesn't change the equality of the matter. Equality isn't always fair. Everyone isn't the same so treating everyone the same, ignoring differences, isn't always fair.

Nilatai wrote:

Shockingly, it is actually exactly the same argument and you're still wilfully ignorant for not seeing it.


What's shocking is that you make that connection with skin color and gender, but call it a "slippery slope" when the same exact argument is used on other things like polygamy, minors and bestiality.

____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
« Previous 1 2 3 4 5
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 69 All times are in CDT
CoalHeart, pechesnyx, piercebrandonfc, Anonymous Guests (66)