Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

I feel stupid Follow

#27 May 29 2012 at 9:11 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
Avatar
****
8,180 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
It's a reference to get off your lazy alcoholic *** and google it, *****.

Hate thread, go.


I think Maz hasnt been to the OOT since the plushification years ago. If we are being evil and meaner now, then I must be the *** around here because I dont see anything except how neutered we've remained. I mean a few incidents here and there, but not even anything remotely like a BT thread or...dare I say HB reply to the new people. I don't know what Mazra is referring to so,



/Hate on
____________________________
Things I sometimes play...

"What do you want to be when you grow up?"
"I want to be a unicorn!"
"Awww, why's that?"........
"So I can stab people with my face."
#28 May 29 2012 at 9:14 PM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
36,439 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
It's a reference to get off your lazy alcoholic *** and google it, *****.

Hate thread, go.


Just for you, man:

]

Dyadem wrote:
I think Maz hasnt been to the OOT since the plushification years ago. If we are being evil and meaner now, then I must be the *** around here because I dont see anything except how neutered we've remained. I mean a few incidents here and there, but not even anything remotely like a BT thread or...dare I say HB reply to the new people. I don't know what Mazra is referring to so,


Didn't say you were meaner (and if I did, it certainly didn't mean to), just that the OOT isn't what it used to be. Take you and lolgaxe's replies, for example. I get what you're doing, but someone like homework, or some newbie who just came in from the streets, would likely misunderstand it all, despite the small text, and it would all go downhill from there.

I'm also not saying it's worse than what it used to be, mind you, just that it's no longer what it was. Everything changes, even online communities. The virtual hole I've been hiding in for the last six years has changed as well. Homework visited us recently and I don't think it produced the results he wanted. We have our own version of the OOT breeding in one of the sub-forums and it's evolved too. There's been some talk about it lately over there. Mostly from one or two guys who snapped and went with the whole rebel thing, but still.

Edited, May 30th 2012 5:22am by Mazra
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#29 May 29 2012 at 9:45 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
Avatar
****
8,180 posts
Mazra wrote:


Dyadem wrote:
I think Maz hasnt been to the OOT since the plushification years ago. If we are being evil and meaner now, then I must be the *** around here because I dont see anything except how neutered we've remained. I mean a few incidents here and there, but not even anything remotely like a BT thread or...dare I say HB reply to the new people. I don't know what Mazra is referring to so,


Didn't say you were meaner (and if I did, it certainly didn't mean to), just that the OOT isn't what it used to be. Take you and lolgaxe's replies, for example. I get what you're doing, but someone like homework, or some newbie who just came in from the streets, would likely misunderstand it all, despite the small text, and it would all go downhill from there.

I'm also not saying it's worse than what it used to be, mind you, just that it's no longer what it was. Everything changes, even online communities. The virtual hole I've been hiding in for the last six years has changed as well. Homework visited us recently and I don't think it produced the results he wanted. We have our own version of the OOT breeding in one of the sub-forums and it's evolved too. There's been some talk about it lately over there. Mostly from one or two guys who snapped and went with the whole rebel thing, but still.

Edited, May 30th 2012 5:22am by Mazra


I agree also, the OOT has changed...and we are less mean then even a year ago, at least any of the more recent new posters I had seen, had Ari or someone replying to them welcoming them, and yeah maybe a bit of griefing went on but you know what, if the OP had an actual coherent and thought out post...it was generally (even by the same hecklers) replied to with some serious answers. Much of Kao's post hit on this...saying basically is that you (Homework or any new poster) need some common sense, and a lecture in basic sarcasm, and then you should find a transition into the OOT relatively easy.

So if you would like some advice Homework, then here is what I suggest: Post Coherently. Longer replies/posts that actually have been thought out (and edited) are more welcome then a quick rant from someone who is still new. Yes, that sounds hard..because we like to have actual conversations and not just a few lines about small topics, until you've at least built up a small reputation for yourself (good or bad, whichever).

Basically, you can't be any worse than Alma...so work on it and try again.





____________________________
Things I sometimes play...

"What do you want to be when you grow up?"
"I want to be a unicorn!"
"Awww, why's that?"........
"So I can stab people with my face."
#30 May 29 2012 at 9:52 PM Rating: Excellent
Dyadem wrote:

Basically, you can't be any worse than Alma He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named...so work on it and try again.


FTFY. If you speak his name, he will be summoned!
____________________________
Proudmoore US server:
Popina, 100 Priest
Thelesis, 91 Mage
Necralita, 90 DK
Digits, 87 Shaman
Willowmei, 85 Druid
Shrika, 72 Warlock
Jaquelle, 54 Paladin
Grakine, 32 Hunter
The MMO-Zam's FB group. Please message me first so I know who you are.
#31 May 29 2012 at 10:16 PM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
36,439 posts
Dyadem wrote:
I agree also, the OOT has changed...and we are less mean then even a year ago, at least any of the more recent new posters I had seen, had Ari or someone replying to them welcoming them, and yeah maybe a bit of griefing went on but you know what, if the OP had an actual coherent and thought out post...it was generally (even by the same hecklers) replied to with some serious answers. Much of Kao's post hit on this...saying basically is that you (Homework or any new poster) need some common sense, and a lecture in basic sarcasm, and then you should find a transition into the OOT relatively easy.


With all due respect, sarcasm/irony does not translate well in writing. But I'll admit, I haven't visited this place enough lately to know if things have settled down or not. I have noticed a decrease in drama, so I guess you're right.
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#32 May 29 2012 at 10:16 PM Rating: Excellent
PM Me When You're Sober
Avatar
*****
15,787 posts
homework, I actually like you so much. You see, about six or seven years ago or whenever I started posting here, I was you. I know you find that hard to believe because I'm so eloquent and coherent, but I just want you to know that if you feel like **** about yourself, it's because you're a kid. No, seriously. Being young sucks, and someday you'll grow up and realize you're a good, worthwhile human (unless you're Varus), and look back on these posts and laugh at yourself. Don't take any of the flaming here to heart, because that's what this place is for. It's for bored adults to come and give each other a hard time, because there's nothing else to do at work.
#33 May 29 2012 at 10:29 PM Rating: Decent
6 posts
Dyadem wrote:
Something like ... Smiley: deadhorse .


i like this.Smiley: cookie
#34 May 29 2012 at 10:44 PM Rating: Decent
PM Me When You're Sober
Avatar
*****
15,787 posts
so, can everyone use emoticons now? Smiley: lol
HOLY CRAP WE CAN!

Edited, May 29th 2012 11:44pm by Codyy
#35 May 29 2012 at 10:50 PM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
****
8,180 posts
Broham420 wrote:
Dyadem wrote:
Something like ... Smiley: deadhorse .


i like this.Smiley: cookie


This is NOT my sock. Though it is my friend on my other PC ... so please don't rate him up. Ever.
____________________________
Things I sometimes play...

"What do you want to be when you grow up?"
"I want to be a unicorn!"
"Awww, why's that?"........
"So I can stab people with my face."
#36 May 30 2012 at 1:20 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
29,388 posts
Dread Lörd Kaolian wrote:
Some of it is how you phrase your questions in the Wow forum. Those same questions, worded differently and more diffidantly might have gone over better. They might not have.

Oh, they would have made a difference. Though he was doomed to a little snark from some folks who post on both boards, how he worded it ultimately decided how the thread has gone so far. Homework, let me show you two examples of recent posts. Their basic premises were different, but I believe the difference in the responses they garnered was ultimately the effect of how they approached their original posts.

wow123 wrote:
hi

i have a guild

but the xp bar goes very low, its not even close to reaching the first lvl...

how do i get it there faster? i want a high lvl guild. the high lvl players that i invite leave onces they see the guild is low lvl so planning raids and dungeons is nearly impossible.

maggals wrote:
sitting here wondering why blizzard makes cog wheeles only useably in 359 gear make proffesions more usable bliz stop buffing mages and help some folks out
The first was a question. He didn't capitalize anything, but otherwise it was a complete thought and worked into a question folks have opinions on. He got varied responses, different replies on what worked for us. The second was a gripe. He also failed to use proper capitalization, but also didn't take the time to spell check. It also took a shot at something completely unrelated to his main point. With a simple bit of effort to adjust the wording to frame it as a question and a removal of the unnecessary snipe at mages, it could have fostered a bit more actual discussion than it did. Instead, it was derailed nigh instantly.

Now, let's take a look at your recent WoW General post.
homework wrote:
My apologies everyone for being AFK and inactive in the forums, i sort of got addicted when I bought skyrim.

But now I'm back for good this time, I swear i won't be AFK anymore.

Anyways I haven't played world of warcraft for awhile, so I need a question answered...


What role do I choose for a Mage in dungeons?

Because some people yelled at me when I started wow for looting this item in a dungeon when I was a tanker.

And I just started so I didn't know that tankers are the ones who take damage.


So if anyone coul answer my question, thank you :)
Making a new line for every sentence will drive people crazy. But the real problem is that your post was far too stream of consciousness. You also didn't ask the question you really needed answered and followed up a semi-related story with an excuse, but failed to elaborate on it. Here's how I would have worded it: Hey guys, when I first started WoW, I was running <Dungeon name here> with my tank character, a <Class>. Anyway, we downed <Boss> and a nifty item dropped that I thought would be cool to have. Apparently, my group felt otherwise because they started yelling at me. Apparently, being the newb I was, I didn't realize that running as a tank meant that I am the one taking the damage, so it didn't occur to me that the item was inappropriate for my role in the dungeon.

Here I am now, considering running some dungeons with my mage, but my earlier experience has left me worried that I'm going to repeat my mistake and loot something inappropriate for my role. What role does a mage play in a dungeon and what kind of gear should I be looking to loot?


Obviously, the style of the writing will be different. The important part is that you put enough information to give context and then ask your question. Have your clear question in mind and let the rest of the post be a vehicle for delivering that question and any pertinent information that goes with it. That way we know precisely what you're looking for, why you're looking for it and what parts of the puzzle we're missing to best answer you. You still probably would have gotten some snark based on some of us remembering what you've posted in the past, but I guarantee your question would have been answered.

And, as already mentioned, you need to get a feel for the forum before making too many non-question posts. I read these boards for almost two months before I started replying to posts and it took something like 5 pages of replies before I made my first post.

Edited, May 30th 2012 1:22am by Poldaran
#37 May 30 2012 at 1:37 AM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
36,439 posts
Pold wrote:
And, as already mentioned, you need to get a feel for the forum before making too many non-question posts. I read these boards for almost two months before I started replying to posts and it took something like 5 pages of replies before I made my first post.


Awww, so cute! *cheek pinch*
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#38 May 30 2012 at 1:52 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
29,388 posts
Mazra wrote:
Pold wrote:
And, as already mentioned, you need to get a feel for the forum before making too many non-question posts. I read these boards for almost two months before I started replying to posts and it took something like 5 pages of replies before I made my first post.


Awww, so cute! *cheek pinch*
I could have mentioned how several regulars have done silly things that brought down flames so scathing they should have fled from the boards out of sheer embarrassment(and a need for ointment) yet still stuck around and more or less get along with everyone now.
#39 May 30 2012 at 2:20 AM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
36,439 posts
Why didn't you? Smiley: confused
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#40 May 30 2012 at 2:30 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
29,388 posts
Mazra wrote:
Why didn't you? Smiley: confused
Because then we wouldn't be having this conversation? And also, I didn't think of it until a few minutes ago when I was replying there?
#41 May 30 2012 at 3:54 AM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
36,439 posts
I don't know. I'm asking you...
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#42 May 30 2012 at 4:11 AM Rating: Good
Or we could just use Maz as a great example and talk about his old account again. Smiley: grin
____________________________
Proudmoore US server:
Popina, 100 Priest
Thelesis, 91 Mage
Necralita, 90 DK
Digits, 87 Shaman
Willowmei, 85 Druid
Shrika, 72 Warlock
Jaquelle, 54 Paladin
Grakine, 32 Hunter
The MMO-Zam's FB group. Please message me first so I know who you are.
#43 May 30 2012 at 4:21 AM Rating: Excellent
Drunken English Bastard
*****
15,268 posts
Friar Bijou wrote:
Take a page from Nilatai. Everyone hates him, and he still posts................Smiley: grin

The trick is to hate everyone back harder. Smiley: schooled
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#44 May 30 2012 at 5:31 AM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
36,439 posts
PigtailsOfDoom wrote:
Or we could just use Maz as a great example and talk about his old account again. Smiley: grin


Indeed. Or even better, we could not do that. Smiley: um

I think the point here is that homework just needs to practice on his written English and not take troll bait. The rest will sort itself out in time.
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#45 May 30 2012 at 7:00 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
6,441 posts
Homework, you remind me a lot of myself in some ways. I've posted here for nearly a decade, and I can tell you this:

You cannot take anything here seriously. If you do, it will combine with all of your currently existing non-forum related rage, and you will find yourself lurking the forum waiting for one of their IRL get togethers to happen, planning to show up yourself so you can shoot them.

But then, it's not all bad. Sometimes, without even trying, you might post something that is truly awesome, and people will like it. You'll be able to tell when you get rated up to "Excellent."

I also think that first impressions matter a lot, and no matter what you post in the future, people will always remember you as you were, and will likely react with the same kind of bile and venom you've come to expect-- even when, if someone else, someone more reputable, were to post the exact same thing, it would have been perfectly ok.

This place use to be a lot more fun, but most of the fun and interesting characters have gone. Maybe someday it will be like that again. Maybe you will become one of those people, and not just another "regular" who's only trick is to act like a jerk to new posters.

Edited, May 30th 2012 1:03pm by Kuwoobie
____________________________
Galkaman wrote:
Kuwoobie will die crushed under the burden of his mediocrity.

#46 May 30 2012 at 7:11 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
29,388 posts
Kuwoobie wrote:
I also think that first impressions matter a lot, and no matter what you post in the future, people will always remember you as you were, and will likely react with the same kind of bile and venom you've come to expect-- even when, if someone else, someone more reputable, were to post the exact same thing, it would have been perfectly ok.
Not entirely true. I can think of at least one poster who many used to treat with a lot of vitriol that is now treated generally as a regular member of the community because she cleaned up her posting style to one less likely to draw ire.
#47 May 30 2012 at 7:14 AM Rating: Good
****
7,819 posts
If you worry about what your posting? Then you best not post then. My advice is be yourself and just keep on posting. I've been here for close to a decade also.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/ImGatomon/588bc6555a45d9778cbc5ae312f975c1.jpg

Sometimes posting feels like this!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/ImGatomon/furries.jpg

Or this!
____________________________
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/ImGatomon/Request.jpg

. “Power even if it is raw uncontrolled potential is just as dangerous as a trained assassin. It is unpredictable and deadly if your are not prepared." ~Gatomon From the story A Fox Among Wolves.
#48 May 30 2012 at 7:16 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
6,441 posts
The One and Only Poldaran wrote:
Kuwoobie wrote:
I also think that first impressions matter a lot, and no matter what you post in the future, people will always remember you as you were, and will likely react with the same kind of bile and venom you've come to expect-- even when, if someone else, someone more reputable, were to post the exact same thing, it would have been perfectly ok.
Not entirely true. I can think of at least one poster who many used to treat with a lot of vitriol that is now treated generally as a regular member of the community because she cleaned up her posting style to one less likely to draw ire.


Oh yea. Homework, I forgot to mention. If you were female, all you'd need to do is post in a way that imitates normal human behavior and you're gravy. It's probably not too late to tell everyone you have a ******.
____________________________
Galkaman wrote:
Kuwoobie will die crushed under the burden of his mediocrity.

#49 May 30 2012 at 7:21 AM Rating: Excellent
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
35,380 posts
Poor Kuwoobie, making excuses for why he's not generally liked here instead of accepting responsibility for his own continual stupid actions and comments.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.


An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#50 May 30 2012 at 7:30 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
6,441 posts
Uglysasquatch wrote:
Poor Kuwoobie, making excuses for why he's not generally liked here instead of accepting responsibility for his own continual stupid actions and comments.


You're right, I need to accept responsibility for my failed policies. That makes so much sense.
____________________________
Galkaman wrote:
Kuwoobie will die crushed under the burden of his mediocrity.

#51 May 30 2012 at 7:31 AM Rating: Good
Drunken English Bastard
*****
15,268 posts
Well, no one else here does. Why expect Kuwoobie to be different?
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 2 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (2)