Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

I passed my Ph.D. qualifying exam yesterdayFollow

#27 Apr 27 2012 at 8:06 AM Rating: Good
*****
10,563 posts
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Congrats soon to be Dr. Vataro.
What field are you studying?


Analytical / Materials Chemistry

Edited, Apr 27th 2012 9:06am by Vataro
____________________________
◕ ‿‿ ◕
#28 Apr 27 2012 at 9:57 AM Rating: Good
I still say hydrogen should be considered a metal.

But then again, I'm someone who would start throwing stuff when I had a difficult chemical equation to balance, so you, sir, have my congratulations. Go out there and discover the next great party drug.
____________________________
Edited, Mar 21st 2011 2:14pm by Darqflame Lock Thread: Because Lubriderm is silly... ~ de geso

Almalieque wrote:
I know what a glory hole is, but I wasn't sure what the business part was in reference to.

My Anime List
#29 Apr 27 2012 at 12:59 PM Rating: Good
******
27,272 posts
Vataro wrote:
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Congrats soon to be Dr. Vataro.
What field are you studying?


Analytical / Materials Chemistry
Does that mean you make things go boom?
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#30 Apr 27 2012 at 1:03 PM Rating: Good
******
49,733 posts
Scientific progress goes "boink."
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#31 Apr 27 2012 at 1:13 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,369 posts
Vataro wrote:
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Congrats soon to be Dr. Vataro.
What field are you studying?


Analytical / Materials Chemistry

Edited, Apr 27th 2012 9:06am by Vataro


Smiley: eek

His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Does that mean you make things go boom?


Waterproof but breathable sports bra with built in heart rate monitor made with organic wiring?


Edited, Apr 27th 2012 12:15pm by someproteinguy
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#32 Apr 27 2012 at 1:18 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
13,228 posts
Sounds somewhere between Matsci and CSI.
____________________________
Just as Planned.
#33 Apr 28 2012 at 9:29 PM Rating: Good
*****
10,563 posts
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Vataro wrote:
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Congrats soon to be Dr. Vataro.
What field are you studying?


Analytical / Materials Chemistry
Does that mean you make things go boom?


Well, one of my collaborations involves TNT, so... sure.
____________________________
◕ ‿‿ ◕
#34 Apr 28 2012 at 11:40 PM Rating: Excellent
.
Screenshot
____________________________
Love,
PunkFloyd
#35 Apr 29 2012 at 3:29 AM Rating: Default
The All Knowing
Avatar
*****
10,152 posts
Congratulations. I envy you..I still have a ways to go

Ugly wrote:
So, are you going to be a medical doctor or a doctor in some field where no one else cares that you're a doctor except those within your field of work?


If I'm not mistaken, medical doctors get MD's not PhD's. Any way, that's why I found a program for Comp Neural Science that would give me both.
#36 Apr 29 2012 at 12:47 PM Rating: Excellent
Repressed Memories
******
20,911 posts
I once rode the train in a car adjacent to that of a kid who looked like he might go pre-med, so I'm basically a doctor already.
#37 Apr 30 2012 at 4:58 PM Rating: Excellent
Encyclopedia
******
34,922 posts
I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once, so ditto! Smiley: schooled
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#38 May 02 2012 at 7:52 AM Rating: Good
****
9,435 posts
People in my undergrad lab somehow manage to make stuff explode. Also, set bins on fire.

I just managed to melt together a distillation apparatus once. It was the technician's fault, though (silly woman put 135°C MP clamps on when I was running it at 280°C).

Congrats, though, Vataro! That's really great.


(I do think I'm gonna have an early midlife crisis soon with half my friends doing postgrads/postdocs/etc.)
____________________________
Support Ahmadiyya
#39 May 02 2012 at 11:04 AM Rating: Good
******
49,733 posts
Kalivha wrote:
People in my undergrad lab somehow manage to make stuff explode. Also, set bins on fire.
I was doing that in high school. And not during any science classes. Smiley: dubious
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#40 May 03 2012 at 3:10 PM Rating: Decent
Drunken English Bastard
*****
15,268 posts
Kalivha wrote:
People in my undergrad lab somehow manage to make stuff explode. Also, set bins on

Pfft, if I were doing Chemistry I'd make explosions every week. Y'know, for teh lulz.
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#41 May 04 2012 at 2:10 AM Rating: Good
****
9,435 posts
Nilatai wrote:
Kalivha wrote:
People in my undergrad lab somehow manage to make stuff explode. Also, set bins on

Pfft, if I were doing Chemistry I'd make explosions every week. Y'know, for teh lulz.


Meh, with the stuff we have in the lab the worst we can do easily is set fire to solvents.

Which is why it's kind of impressive that someone managed to make something explode!
____________________________
Support Ahmadiyya
#42 May 04 2012 at 2:13 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
29,371 posts
Kalivha wrote:
Meh, with the stuff we have in the lab the worst we can do easily is set fire to solvents.

Which is why it's kind of impressive that someone managed to make something explode!
It's not like you really need fire to make something explode. ****, a little dry ice, some water and a sealed container will do the trick.
#43 May 04 2012 at 4:10 AM Rating: Good
****
9,435 posts
We don't seem to do anything with dry ice (yet).

But yeah, just heat a sealed system enough and it'll explode, so it's not really all that hard.
____________________________
Support Ahmadiyya
#44 May 04 2012 at 7:14 AM Rating: Good
Drunken English Bastard
*****
15,268 posts
If you get to play with dry ice hold it against something metal. It screams, pretty cool.
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#45 May 04 2012 at 7:46 AM Rating: Good
******
49,733 posts
A little potassium nitrate, sugar, baking soda, and colored powdered dye and you can make smoke grenades. Smiley: thumbsup
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#46 May 04 2012 at 12:53 PM Rating: Good
Drunken English Bastard
*****
15,268 posts
I shall find out where I can buy some... That or I can raid the Chemistry department stores on campus...
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#47 May 04 2012 at 3:38 PM Rating: Good
Terrorfiend
*****
12,905 posts
The One and Only Poldaran wrote:
Kalivha wrote:
Meh, with the stuff we have in the lab the worst we can do easily is set fire to solvents.

Which is why it's kind of impressive that someone managed to make something explode!
It's not like you really need fire to make something explode. ****, a little dry ice, some water and a sealed container will do the trick.


Protip: Dont use Arizona Ice Tea bottles. we used to make dry ice bombs on occasion (ok a lot) and we'd use any bottle we could get ahold of. Well the Arizona Ice Tea bottle is brittle enough that it goes off very quickly. Blew up in my hand and boy did that scare the crap out of me. Fortunately it didn't hurt.

eta: oops, congrats, Vat!

Edited, May 4th 2012 2:39pm by KTurner
#48 May 04 2012 at 5:03 PM Rating: Good
Encyclopedia
******
34,922 posts
KTurner wrote:
The One and Only Poldaran wrote:
Kalivha wrote:
Meh, with the stuff we have in the lab the worst we can do easily is set fire to solvents.

Which is why it's kind of impressive that someone managed to make something explode!
It's not like you really need fire to make something explode. ****, a little dry ice, some water and a sealed container will do the trick.


Protip: Dont use Arizona Ice Tea bottles. we used to make dry ice bombs on occasion (ok a lot) and we'd use any bottle we could get ahold of. Well the Arizona Ice Tea bottle is brittle enough that it goes off very quickly. Blew up in my hand and boy did that scare the crap out of me. Fortunately it didn't hurt.


Yow! We put a bunch in a 2lt soda bottle, shook it up and tossed it off the porch. Sadly, it didn't go off. So we waited, and it still didn't go off. So now we've got this bomb basically sitting on the front lawn. Could go off right now, maybe 5 minutes from now, maybe never. So of course, we got out the bb gun and started shooting at it. Plink, miss. Plink, miss. Plink *KABOOM*. Darn thing sounded like a cannon when it went off.

Good times! Smiley: grin
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#49 May 06 2012 at 10:14 AM Rating: Decent
****
9,435 posts
I don't like explosions. (Weird chemist, right?)

I'm getting more and more tempted to get like an AK-47 or something for the lulz, though. Like, just so I can say I used to own one. I'm not particularly interested to take the effort to learn how to use those things.

Quote:
Plink, miss. Plink, miss. Plink *KABOOM*. Darn thing sounded like a cannon when it went off.
This somehow reminds me how my... friend? ex? something once stole an air raid siren from an airforce base and carried it into the village with a few people and set it off. I liked that story...
____________________________
Support Ahmadiyya
#50 May 06 2012 at 10:51 AM Rating: Good
******
27,272 posts
Kalivha wrote:
I don't like explosions. (Weird chemist, right?)
You are a terrible scientist.
What's the point of science if you don't make stuff go boom?
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#51 May 06 2012 at 11:45 AM Rating: Good
****
9,435 posts
I get to use faster computers than the rest of the world? Smiley: grin
____________________________
Support Ahmadiyya
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 65 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (65)