Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6
Reply To Thread

Star Wars vs Barbara WaltersFollow

#1 Feb 07 2012 at 6:55 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
8,805 posts
So there was a discussion at work over which is more socially depriving for a 25-30 year old U.S citizen.

1. Not having seen a single Star Wars movie.

or

2. Not having a single clue who Barbara Walters is.

What say you?
____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
#2 Feb 07 2012 at 8:31 AM Rating: Excellent
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,613 posts
Star Wars. Who honestly gives a @#%^ about Barbara Walters? I'd pay someone if tghey could help me forget her.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#3 Feb 07 2012 at 8:54 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,089 posts
Uglysasquatch wrote:
Star Wars. Who honestly gives a @#%^ about Barbara Walters? I'd pay someone if tghey could help me forget her.

____________________________
SSubZero wrote:

MNK: "OK we're gonna go in and get those items."
WHM: "Did you have a plan?"
MNK: "Plan? I was going to walk through the front door and start punching people."
#4 Feb 07 2012 at 10:11 AM Rating: Excellent
Unforkgettable
*****
12,959 posts
I have an answer and a reason behind it, but considering who started the thread, I'm disinclined to engage.
____________________________
Banh
#5 Feb 07 2012 at 12:23 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
4,245 posts
Sir Spoonless wrote:
engage.


STRIKE DOWN THE BLASPHEMER! Feed him to the Rahkghouls!!!!
#6 Feb 07 2012 at 1:01 PM Rating: Excellent
******
41,289 posts
I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#7 Feb 07 2012 at 2:49 PM Rating: Good
Drunken English Bastard
*****
15,246 posts
What the hell is a Barbara Walters?
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#8 Feb 07 2012 at 6:46 PM Rating: Good
More importantly, who is going to go see the movies again in 3D?


Because I'm not.
____________________________
Sandinmyeye | |Tsukaremash*ta | Dihydrogen Monoxide (it kills)
#9 Feb 07 2012 at 7:10 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
14,024 posts
Who is Barbara Walters?
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#10 Feb 07 2012 at 8:57 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
466 posts
TirithRR wrote:
Who is Barbara Walters?


Every time I hear that name, this is the image I get in my head.
http://www.hulu.com/watch/1370/saturday-night-live-baba-wawa-at-large
#11 Feb 08 2012 at 4:50 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
25,556 posts
Nilatai wrote:
What the hell is a Barbara Walters?

____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#12 Feb 08 2012 at 9:03 AM Rating: Excellent
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,613 posts
So, I'm curiouse Alma, which side of the argument were you on? And you had to know that asking a gaming forum their opinion on these two choices would skew grossly towards Star Wars, right?
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#13 Feb 08 2012 at 9:25 AM Rating: Good
******
41,289 posts
Well, aren't we just full of hate this morning?
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#14 Feb 08 2012 at 9:27 AM Rating: Good
Unforkgettable
*****
12,959 posts
Obviously, his carefully selected group of peers that he converses with outside of this site agree with him and disagree with most of the people here.
____________________________
Banh
#15 Feb 08 2012 at 9:31 AM Rating: Good
Unforkgettable
*****
12,959 posts
It's not even really an analogous situation, anyway. Simply having heard of Walters versus actually having seen a Star Wars movie?
____________________________
Banh
#16 Feb 08 2012 at 9:32 AM Rating: Good
******
41,289 posts
Consider the source.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#17 Feb 08 2012 at 9:53 AM Rating: Good
Unforkgettable
*****
12,959 posts
Post #4
____________________________
Banh
#18 Feb 08 2012 at 12:07 PM Rating: Excellent
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,613 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Well, aren't we just full of hate this morning?
Have we not met before?
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#19Almalieque, Posted: Feb 08 2012 at 6:04 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) I didn't say they were the same. One person was ridiculed for not seeing a single star wars movie and another person was ridiculed for not having a single clue who Barbara Walters was. The argument came about in defense.
#20 Feb 08 2012 at 7:09 PM Rating: Good
***
2,607 posts
Sandinmygum the Stupendous wrote:
More importantly, who is going to go see the movies again in 3D?


Because I'm not.


We will because my 4 and 7 year old love all that is Star Wars. They actually prefer the original movies.
#21 Feb 08 2012 at 8:08 PM Rating: Good
Repressed Memories
******
20,540 posts
Almalieque wrote:
It doesn't matter what you actually think. People will say the opposite of whatever I say.

No we won't.

Barbara who?
#22 Feb 08 2012 at 8:11 PM Rating: Decent
Repressed Memories
******
20,540 posts
eiran wrote:
They actually prefer the original movies.

Don't try to turn this into a discussion about abortion.
#23 Feb 08 2012 at 8:17 PM Rating: Excellent
******
41,289 posts
No, the abortions would be if they preferred the prequels.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#24 Feb 08 2012 at 8:22 PM Rating: Good
eiran wrote:
Sandinmygum the Stupendous wrote:
More importantly, who is going to go see the movies again in 3D?


Because I'm not.


We will because my 4 and 7 year old love all that is Star Wars. They actually prefer the original movies.


With 5 & 6 being their fav, right? Awesome kids.
If I go see any of them in 3D, it will only be 4,5 and 6. I just can't see me going to the theater to watch them, just for the 3D part. I own the awesome Blu-ray complete saga set. Totally worth the $100.
____________________________
Sandinmyeye | |Tsukaremash*ta | Dihydrogen Monoxide (it kills)
#25 Feb 08 2012 at 8:53 PM Rating: Good
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,613 posts
Almalieque wrote:
It doesn't matter what you actually think. People will say the opposite of whatever I say. From what I hear, it's called "trolling".
Wait, you're the one who's never seen Star Wars? I assume you found this site due to gaming, so I can't imagine how you could never be intirgued enough to watch Star Wars.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#26 Feb 08 2012 at 9:00 PM Rating: Good
Sandinmygum the Stupendous wrote:
More importantly, who is going to go see the movies again in 3D?


Knot eye. I'm done giving George Lucas my money.
____________________________
Love,
PunkFloyd
#27 Feb 08 2012 at 9:33 PM Rating: Good
Repressed Memories
******
20,540 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
No, the abortions would be if they preferred the prequels.

To spare them the horror of having to compare them to the originals?
#28 Feb 09 2012 at 8:04 AM Rating: Good
******
41,289 posts
Allegory wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
No, the abortions would be if they preferred the prequels.
To spare them the horror of having to compare them to the originals?
I was thinking more to spare the parents the horror of spawning such failures, but that works too.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#29 Feb 09 2012 at 8:27 AM Rating: Good
Repressed Memories
******
20,540 posts
I don't know if I'd call my kid a failure for merely comparing the originals to the prequels. Liking it over the prequels, sure.
#30 Feb 10 2012 at 3:24 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
****
6,119 posts
Not seeing a single Star Wars film. Nobody gives a crap about Barbara Walters except for the people who make soft focus filters.

Though I do think threads that have a question posed but the OP refuses to answer his/her own question should be auto-locked.
____________________________
This sig better be appropriate...
#31 Feb 10 2012 at 7:25 AM Rating: Excellent
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,613 posts
Nah, keep the thread open, ban the OP.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#32 Feb 10 2012 at 10:20 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
5,159 posts
What is it with late-20s to early-30s people trying to claim that not having seen Star Wars is somehow a cultural abomination? They're just movies, dammit.
#33 Feb 10 2012 at 10:38 AM Rating: Excellent
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,613 posts
Tee only abominations in this thread are Alma and Barabara Walters.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#34 Feb 10 2012 at 10:56 AM Rating: Good
Drunken English Bastard
*****
15,246 posts
Who the crap is Barbara Walters? I want someone to tell me because I don't care enough to google it...
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#35 Feb 10 2012 at 11:04 AM Rating: Good
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,613 posts
Nilatai wrote:
Who the crap is Barbara Walters? I want someone to tell me because I don't care enough to google it...
You could have googled her with less effort than it took you to write that post. Do your own homework.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#36 Feb 10 2012 at 11:07 AM Rating: Good
Drunken English Bastard
*****
15,246 posts
Uglysasquatch wrote:
Nilatai wrote:
Who the crap is Barbara Walters? I want someone to tell me because I don't care enough to google it...
You could have googled her with less effort than it took you to write that post. Do your own homework.

This is an Alma thread. I thought that meant you just demand information and when no one gives it to you, you claim victory?


Also I googled her and still have no idea who she is. So the Star Wars thing.

Or whatever.
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#37 Feb 10 2012 at 1:57 PM Rating: Good
Nilatai wrote:
Uglysasquatch wrote:
Nilatai wrote:
Who the crap is Barbara Walters? I want someone to tell me because I don't care enough to google it...
You could have googled her with less effort than it took you to write that post. Do your own homework.

This is an Alma thread. I thought that meant you just demand information and when no one gives it to you, you claim victory?


Also I googled her and still have no idea who she is. So the Star Wars thing.

Or whatever.


She was the first DVDA porn star.
____________________________
Love,
PunkFloyd
#38 Feb 10 2012 at 7:00 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,362 posts
Normally, when someone makes a post, they do so because A) They have an interesting story to tell or B) They feel they can create a meaningful or entertaining discussion. I have a hard time believing a functional (and I use the term liberally) human being could conceive the big "Barbara Walters vs. Star Wars" debate as falling under either of those categories.
#39 Feb 10 2012 at 7:59 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
30,870 posts
LeWoVoc wrote:
Normally, when someone makes a post, they do so because A) They have an interesting story to tell or B) They feel they can create a meaningful or entertaining discussion. I have a hard time believing a functional (and I use the term liberally) human being could conceive the big "Barbara Walters vs. Star Wars" debate as falling under either of those categories.


And yet... you were post #38. We're all just suckers, aren't we? Smiley: laugh
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#40 Feb 10 2012 at 9:52 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
8,805 posts
Uglysasquatch wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
It doesn't matter what you actually think. People will say the opposite of whatever I say. From what I hear, it's called "trolling".
Wait, you're the one who's never seen Star Wars? I assume you found this site due to gaming, so I can't imagine how you could never be intirgued enough to watch Star Wars.


????

I was referring to your comment about what people here would think. I said that it doesn't matter what I say, people will want to argue the opposite. That's why posters were hesitant to respond.
____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
#41 Feb 10 2012 at 9:56 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
8,805 posts
LeWoVoc wrote:
Normally, when someone makes a post, they do so because A) They have an interesting story to tell or B) They feel they can create a meaningful or entertaining discussion. I have a hard time believing a functional (and I use the term liberally) human being could conceive the big "Barbara Walters vs. Star Wars" debate as falling under either of those categories.


Do you honestly believe that most threads fall into those categories? I haven't checked recently, but I'm just asking.
____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
#42 Feb 10 2012 at 10:16 PM Rating: Good
If a 20-30 year old in USA hadn't seen a Star Wars filmed I'd be really surprised.

If they had no clue as to who Barbra Walters is, I'd be not surprised in the least. That's be like expecting people of my generation to know who Will Shirer or Edward R Murrow are. I mean, I know who they are but most of my contemporaries don't have a clue.



For those who asked, Barb was a big deal back in the day because she was the first woman in the US to chair a national TV news desk (as opposed to being just another pretty reporter). I use "pretty" as a relative term, here.Smiley: laugh

____________________________
gbaji wrote:
I'm smarter then you. I know how to think. I've been trained in critical thinking instead of blindly parroting what I've been told.
#43 Feb 10 2012 at 10:51 PM Rating: Excellent
I'm still curious what Alma thinks.
____________________________
01001001 00100000 01001100 01001001 01001011 01000101 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001011 01000101
You'll always be stupid, you'll just be stupid with more information in your brain
Forum FAQ
#44 Feb 11 2012 at 12:17 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
****
6,119 posts
Sir Xsarus wrote:
I'm still curious what Alma thinks.

Take what the majority of people are saying and it will likely be the opposite. Not because it is his actual opinion but because he will have to take the opposite viewpoint so he can "prove" everyone says the opposite of him.
____________________________
This sig better be appropriate...
#45 Feb 11 2012 at 5:51 AM Rating: Excellent
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,613 posts
I suspect he thinks the answer is Star Wars as well, but he can't say that because people won't change their minds and argue against him, completely destroying his claim that people always chose the opposite of him when in reality, we usually choose the opposite of him because he's stupid and wrong and not just for the sake of picking the opposite of him.

Edited, Feb 11th 2012 7:53am by Uglysasquatch
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#46 Feb 11 2012 at 10:59 AM Rating: Excellent
Gurue
*****
16,230 posts
Uglysasquatch wrote:
when in reality, we usually choose the opposite of him because he's stupid and wrong and not just for the sake of picking the opposite of him.

Smiley: thumbsup
#47 Feb 11 2012 at 10:59 AM Rating: Excellent
Gurue
*****
16,230 posts
And for the record, I'm olde like Bijou, so I know both Star Wars and Babah Wahwah.
#48 Feb 11 2012 at 11:25 AM Rating: Good
Unforkgettable
*****
12,959 posts
I'm 27 and I have seen Star Wars and know who Barbara Walters is.

I'm not sure I'd call it "socially depriving" if someone hadn't seen one or known of the other, but I'd be more surprised if someone in the specified age range hadn't seen a single Star Wars movie, given the prevalence in the entertainment media.

I saw the original trilogy when I was young. I used to rent them from the library. Episode I was released in 1999, when I was 15. I was part of the targeted audience, and many of my friends who hadn't seen the original movies ended up seeing the new ones.

Without researching it, I'm going to assume that most Americans in the 0-20 age range are more familiar with current entertainment media than news media. Chances of exposure to the Star Wars movies during those years is likely higher than chances of exposure to Barbara Walters' news programs. My parents typically watched the NBC news programs, so I probably wasn't more than tangentially aware of Walters for some time.

Anyway, with all the releases and re-releases of the Star Wars movies, as well as their frequent airing on many television channels, combined with the general news/political ignorance of the American populace I'd feel safe with the assumption that more 25- to 30-year-olds have seen a Star Wars movie than know who Barbara Walters is. I don't think that either is necessarily socially crippling.
____________________________
Banh
#49 Feb 11 2012 at 11:30 AM Rating: Good
is Happy on Friday!
*****
12,441 posts
who the @#%^ is star wars?
____________________________
Theytak, Siren Server
LOLGAXE IS MY ETERNAL RIVAL!

Reiterpallasch wrote:
Glitterhands wrote:
Am I the only one who clicked on this thread expecting actual baby photos [of Jinte]? o.O

Except if it were baby photos, it would be like looking at before and afters of Michael Jackson. Only instead of turning into a white guy, he changes into a chick!
#50 Feb 12 2012 at 6:05 AM Rating: Good
***
2,607 posts
Nadenu wrote:
And for the record, I'm olde like Bijou, so I know both Star Wars and Babah Wahwah.


Me too and I can add Edward R. Murrow to that list too.
#51 Feb 12 2012 at 12:13 PM Rating: Good
eiran wrote:
Nadenu wrote:
And for the record, I'm olde like Bijou, so I know both Star Wars and Babah Wahwah.


Me too and I can add Edward R. Murrow to that list too.
Smiley: flowers
____________________________
gbaji wrote:
I'm smarter then you. I know how to think. I've been trained in critical thinking instead of blindly parroting what I've been told.
« Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 60 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (60)