Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 25
This thread is locked

Ask an Admin THREAD 2008Follow

#1 Nov 30 2008 at 8:58 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
29,911 posts
Sure. Why not?

Here's the deal, you want to know anything about the site, behind the scenes, etc. Ask away. You get 1 question each. If that question happens to be something along the lines of "What is my base karma" the answer is 2.00. Also, I can't answer anythign that would affect / implicate other posters. Other than that, ask away.

On your mark, get set, Go!

Edited, Dec 2nd 2008 6:10pm by Darqflame

Edited, Dec 4th 2008 6:49am by Darqflame
____________________________
Arch Duke Kaolian Drachensborn, lvl 95 Ranger, Unrest Server
Tech support forum | FAQ (Support) | Mobile Zam: http://m.zam.com (Premium only)
Forum Rules
#2 Nov 30 2008 at 9:02 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
239 posts
Do admins ever fight?
#3 Nov 30 2008 at 9:04 PM Rating: Excellent
Spankatorium Administratix
Avatar
*****
1oooo posts
NazgulSHD wrote:
Do admins ever fight?

Yes.
____________________________

#4 Nov 30 2008 at 9:07 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
29,911 posts
NazgulSHD wrote:
Do admins ever fight?


Eh, not really. We have disagreements from time to time on site policy or formatting for things, but its not really fighting. About the only admin i've ever really seen really rub people the wrong way to the point where there was overt hostility was Magi. There were problems on the admin side with that one, and him and I clashed a bit on more than one occasion. Him and most of the other admins had their clashes too. Was kind of a relief when he was gone.

There have been other situations in the past where things can get a bit tense between admins, especially if there is a concern that an admin isn't putting in their fare share of the work. Some of the people we have let go in the past have been due to that. And everyone has a bad day once in a while too. It's hard to judge context over IRC sometimes, and misunderstandings do occur.

But for the most part, we get along well.
____________________________
Arch Duke Kaolian Drachensborn, lvl 95 Ranger, Unrest Server
Tech support forum | FAQ (Support) | Mobile Zam: http://m.zam.com (Premium only)
Forum Rules
#5 Nov 30 2008 at 9:07 PM Rating: Default
Sage
Avatar
****
8,180 posts
Can I put my Collin Farell hand motion avatar back on?
____________________________
Things I sometimes play...

"What do you want to be when you grow up?"
"I want to be a unicorn!"
"Awww, why's that?"........
"So I can stab people with my face."
#6 Nov 30 2008 at 9:08 PM Rating: Default
Sage
Avatar
****
8,180 posts
Oh, and can you keep Sweetssuma from stealing my puppy?
____________________________
Things I sometimes play...

"What do you want to be when you grow up?"
"I want to be a unicorn!"
"Awww, why's that?"........
"So I can stab people with my face."
#7 Nov 30 2008 at 9:10 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
29,911 posts
Dyadem wrote:
Can I put my Collin Farell hand motion avatar back on?


No. But you could put an avatar of your puppy up and prevent it from being stolen that way?

Besides you only get one question! so thbbt!
____________________________
Arch Duke Kaolian Drachensborn, lvl 95 Ranger, Unrest Server
Tech support forum | FAQ (Support) | Mobile Zam: http://m.zam.com (Premium only)
Forum Rules
#8 Nov 30 2008 at 9:11 PM Rating: Excellent
Spankatorium Administratix
Avatar
*****
1oooo posts
Dread Lörd Kaolian wrote:
NazgulSHD wrote:
Do admins ever fight?


Eh, not really. We have disagreements from time to time on site policy or formatting for things, but its not really fighting. About the only admin i've ever really seen really rub people the wrong way to the point where there was overt hostility was Magi. There were problems on the admin side with that one, and him and I clashed a bit on more than one occasion. Him and most of the other admins had their clashes too. Was kind of a relief when he was gone.

There have been other situations in the past where things can get a bit tense between admins, especially if there is a concern that an admin isn't putting in their fare share of the work. Some of the people we have let go in the past have been due to that. And everyone has a bad day once in a while too. It's hard to judge context over IRC sometimes, and misunderstandings do occur.

But for the most part, we get along well.


Oh I thought this was one word answers!!!Smiley: grin
____________________________

#9 Nov 30 2008 at 9:11 PM Rating: Default
Sage
Avatar
****
8,180 posts
Dread Lörd Kaolian wrote:
You only get one question! so thbbt!


What does 'thbbt' mean?
____________________________
Things I sometimes play...

"What do you want to be when you grow up?"
"I want to be a unicorn!"
"Awww, why's that?"........
"So I can stab people with my face."
#10 Nov 30 2008 at 9:12 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
29,911 posts
Mistress Darqflame wrote:


Oh I thought this was one word answers!!!Smiley: grin


No, that was "ask an admin day: Magic 8 ball edition"
____________________________
Arch Duke Kaolian Drachensborn, lvl 95 Ranger, Unrest Server
Tech support forum | FAQ (Support) | Mobile Zam: http://m.zam.com (Premium only)
Forum Rules
#11 Nov 30 2008 at 9:14 PM Rating: Good
**
692 posts
What's a good question to ask you?
____________________________
[ffxisig]174529[/ffxisig]
#12 Nov 30 2008 at 9:15 PM Rating: Decent
****
6,964 posts
Do the admins (Asking each individually) honestly believe that the karma system is a good thing?
#13 Nov 30 2008 at 9:15 PM Rating: Decent
Terrible Rabbit of Caerbannog
*****
10,811 posts
CAN I BE AN ADMIN?
#14 Nov 30 2008 at 9:17 PM Rating: Default
*****
16,127 posts
What are my admin notes?
____________________________
The Pessimist: A person who looks both ways before crossing a one-way street.
#15 Nov 30 2008 at 9:17 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
29,911 posts
Aarkovi wrote:
What's a good question to ask you?


A really good question would be something deep and philosophical about the admin experiance, somethign that would enlighten future generations and go down in history as a defineing moment in spacetime. Maybe something like "If you had to pick any 1 lego piece, which one would you choose and why?"
____________________________
Arch Duke Kaolian Drachensborn, lvl 95 Ranger, Unrest Server
Tech support forum | FAQ (Support) | Mobile Zam: http://m.zam.com (Premium only)
Forum Rules
#16 Nov 30 2008 at 9:19 PM Rating: Decent
**
692 posts
Then can I ask another question?
____________________________
[ffxisig]174529[/ffxisig]
#17 Nov 30 2008 at 9:19 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,233 posts
Do any of you actually get paid to admin here or is it just an overgrown hobby?

And by paid I mean bling blingin'.
____________________________
"I'm gonna get nice and drunk, then play video games until my eyes bleed." Charlie (It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia)
#18 Nov 30 2008 at 9:20 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
29,911 posts
Siralin the Vile wrote:
Do the admins (Asking each individually) honestly believe that the karma system is a good thing?


I do. There are some areas that could use some tweaking still, and it does cause some more strife than it might otherwise, but it also provides an incentive system for people to come back and post. Removing the numbers has certainly cut down on karma whine posts, but on the same order I think it has cut down on visits people make to the site. And it is effective at dropping truly bad posts below the filter usually before an admin can get to them. We have some theoretical adjustments to the system we have kicked around in the admin forum, but they would require major table surgery so they likely won't happen until we get more devs.
____________________________
Arch Duke Kaolian Drachensborn, lvl 95 Ranger, Unrest Server
Tech support forum | FAQ (Support) | Mobile Zam: http://m.zam.com (Premium only)
Forum Rules
#19 Nov 30 2008 at 9:21 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
29,911 posts
GrowlingBunny wrote:
CAN I BE AN ADMIN?


If you apply for an admin position when we have them open and get hired, yes. I mean ****, we hired usagi and I almost banned him once so anything is possible.
____________________________
Arch Duke Kaolian Drachensborn, lvl 95 Ranger, Unrest Server
Tech support forum | FAQ (Support) | Mobile Zam: http://m.zam.com (Premium only)
Forum Rules
#20 Nov 30 2008 at 9:22 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
29,911 posts
NaughtyWord wrote:
What are my admin notes?


Censored IP addresses.

Admin Notes:

Name changed from Rimesume to NaughtyWord March 20, 2008 -- DF
Muted for 24 hours for an OOT Raid in FFXI.
lost 500 posts for said raid (from illia)
Wed Aug 8 14:19:55 2007: un-MUTEd by Pikko at IP
Tue Aug 7 12:08:28 2007: MUTEd by Pikko at IP
____________________________
Arch Duke Kaolian Drachensborn, lvl 95 Ranger, Unrest Server
Tech support forum | FAQ (Support) | Mobile Zam: http://m.zam.com (Premium only)
Forum Rules
#21 Nov 30 2008 at 9:23 PM Rating: Default
*****
16,127 posts
Dread Lörd Kaolian wrote:
NaughtyWord wrote:
What are my admin notes?


Censored IP addresses.

Admin Notes:

Name changed from Rimesume to NaughtyWord March 20, 2008 -- DF
Muted for 24 hours for an OOT Raid in FFXI.
lost 500 posts for said raid (from illia)
Wed Aug 8 14:19:55 2007: un-MUTEd by Pikko at IP
Tue Aug 7 12:08:28 2007: MUTEd by Pikko at IP



Hmm, somehow I thought it'd be longer.


____________________________
The Pessimist: A person who looks both ways before crossing a one-way street.
#22 Nov 30 2008 at 9:26 PM Rating: Decent
Terrible Rabbit of Caerbannog
*****
10,811 posts
Dread Lörd Kaolian wrote:
GrowlingBunny wrote:
CAN I BE AN ADMIN?


If you apply for an admin position when we have them open and get hired, yes. I mean ****, we hired usagi and I almost banned him once so anything is possible.
lol I less than three you Kao! Can my sock ask one question, as well? /innocent
#23 Nov 30 2008 at 9:27 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
29,911 posts
Paracleets wrote:
Do any of you actually get paid to admin here or is it just an overgrown hobby?

And by paid I mean bling blingin'.


Each and evry admin position here is a paid position. It's not a huge sum of money, but it does help fund the computer habit. Most of the admins are paid to enter and process site data (images, screenshots, wiki entries, etc) I'm one of the abberant positions in that the forum is my primary duty. Some, like Darkflame are more in management and overseeing that the rest of us are doing things. And stuff. There are part timers (like myself) who have another primary job on the side, and full timers. Ad revenue and premium membership funds all the admin positions, and the more admins we have, the better the site is, but we can only hire admins based on incoming premium membership revenue and ad sales. The part time positions at least generally don't have benifits like health care, but most of us part timers have time for a full time job as well, so it works out.
____________________________
Arch Duke Kaolian Drachensborn, lvl 95 Ranger, Unrest Server
Tech support forum | FAQ (Support) | Mobile Zam: http://m.zam.com (Premium only)
Forum Rules
#24 Nov 30 2008 at 9:27 PM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Do any admins hold a personal grudge against me, or at least some level of disdain?
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#25 Nov 30 2008 at 9:28 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
29,911 posts
Oh fine. If its a really good question I might possibly consider a second question. maybe. Possibly. But it would have to be a really ******** question of doom!
____________________________
Arch Duke Kaolian Drachensborn, lvl 95 Ranger, Unrest Server
Tech support forum | FAQ (Support) | Mobile Zam: http://m.zam.com (Premium only)
Forum Rules
#26 Nov 30 2008 at 9:29 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
29,911 posts
bsphil wrote:
Do any admins hold a personal grudge against me, or at least some level of disdain?


You ****** off Pikko and myself at various points, but i'd hardly call it a grudge. Admins don't hold grudges long...
____________________________
Arch Duke Kaolian Drachensborn, lvl 95 Ranger, Unrest Server
Tech support forum | FAQ (Support) | Mobile Zam: http://m.zam.com (Premium only)
Forum Rules
« Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 25
This thread is locked
You cannot post in a locked topic!
Recent Visitors: 85 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (85)