I did a bit of poking around. I actually think it's because the browsers are "new" instead of old. Older browsers used to have this feature where you could tell it manually which app to start up when it encountered a file of a particular type. I just noticed that the browser I'm using today has changed the way that's done. Now, everything is done via plugins. The only thing I can assume is that the plugin for audio/x-wave is not present by default.
Back in the old days, I could just add it in manually by referencing the type "audio/x-wave" to a binary on my local system (a wave player in this case). Can't do it now. Or at the very least, they've made it a lot harder to do then it used to be (I think I can add it in, but it would require a lot more goofing around with it).
It's kinda bizaare actually. I can do shockwave and flash and all that neato stuff, but can't just play a normal wav file. Go figure...
I've also noticed that that automated interaction with programs often don't work when using *nix (or macs in some cases) and accessing a file that was generated on a Windows based system. The cause ends up being the old "file extension versus file header" issue. Everyone in the world *except* microsoft embeds standard file headers into their stuff so that they know what sort of file something is. MS still uses the old concept of dos file extensions. What I've seen happen *alot* is that if you create a file of a particular type on a MS machine, it'll automatically stick a file extension on, but not put in a header. The result is that an MS machine will recognize it correctly (cause it's looking for the file extension) and do the right thing with the file. Any other platform will look at the file and have no idea what type it actually is and do nothing.
You see this all the time with .zip files. If the file was generated on a MS host, and I just click on the link, it'll open the binary in a window (which results in a lot of gibberish on the screen). The only way to get around it is to hold down the shift key while clicking. This tells the browser to just download whatever's on the other end of the link instead of the default behavior (opening in a window).
In this case, I don't think that's the issue since the browser does seem to know what kind of file is there. It just doesn't have anything configured to manage it by default. Which is strange, but then I didn't make the damn thing...
King Nobby wrote:
More words please