Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2 3 4
Reply To Thread

National Healthcare.Follow

#1 Jun 17 2004 at 9:37 AM Rating: Default
Lunatic
******
30,084 posts
Would you pay 5 percent higher taxes for national healthcare for all Americans?
____________________________
Disclaimer:

To make a long story short, I don't take any responsibility for anything I post here. It's not news, it's not truth, it's not serious. It's parody. It's satire. It's bitter. It's angsty. Your mother's a *****. You like to jack off dogs. That's right, you heard me. You like to grab that dog by the bone and rub it like a ski pole. Your dad? ***. Your priest? Straight. **** off and let me post. It's not true, it's all in good fun. Now go away.

#2 Jun 17 2004 at 9:54 AM Rating: Good
****
4,595 posts
Being that my healthcare costs amount to more than a 5% increase in my taxes I would have to heavily lean towards yes all else being equal
____________________________
Nicroll 65 Assassin
Teltorid 52 Druid
Aude Sapere

Oh **** camp me all you want f**kers. I own this site and thus I own you. - Allakhazam
#3 Jun 17 2004 at 9:59 AM Rating: Decent
**
970 posts
I most defintley would seeing as it cost 300+ every 2 wks just to cover myself an my wife an 1 child. Yep my office health plan sucks.
____________________________
Be who you want to be regardless.
Live as though everyday is your last.
***** the world for all its worth cause sometimes you only get one chance!
http://www.myspace.com/arkburn
http://blog.myspace.com/arkburn
#4 Jun 17 2004 at 10:18 AM Rating: Good
****
4,688 posts
You're **** right I would.

My only concern is its regulation. I don't want a health care system where I have to fill out tons of forms and then get half-assed service delivered by someone who acts like they're better than me because they chose a profession that means they muck about inside of other people.

Wait, I've got that already......

Yeah, I'd pay 5% higher taxes for that. I'm already a single male with no deductions to speak of so I'm used to carrying the load for everyone else. A little more wouldn't hurt and I see potential for me to actually benefit.
____________________________
------------------------------------------------
What of it?
#5 Jun 17 2004 at 10:19 AM Rating: Good
****
4,595 posts
Although I'm not 100% convinced a national healthcare plan is the ultimate solution to our woes. I think a little price regulation is definatly in line. Or possibly offering more tuition assistance to put more doctors in the field.

There is also something to be said for putting a cap on lawsuit awards. Doctor assed up your surgery, yup you deserve some compensation at least what you would have been expected to make in your lifetime with expected economical growth. $25,000,000 I don't f'ing thing so...
____________________________
Nicroll 65 Assassin
Teltorid 52 Druid
Aude Sapere

Oh **** camp me all you want f**kers. I own this site and thus I own you. - Allakhazam
#6 Jun 17 2004 at 11:20 AM Rating: Decent
***
3,980 posts
Quote:
Would you pay 5 percent higher taxes for national healthcare for all Americans?


You mean lose more of my paycheck to get less service? Ill vote yes to that.
#7 Jun 17 2004 at 11:26 AM Rating: Good
***
1,102 posts
Considering some of the problems I have right now are not covered under my healthcare (and why the F*ing **** not? If I get breast cancer, do you think I can really afford to get chemotherapy myself? a$$holes...), I'd pay some more in taxes in order for me to have the assurance that if I did get sick, I'd be taken care of.
____________________________
kdots.blogspot.com
#8 Jun 17 2004 at 11:54 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,743 posts
Well under my current situation I would have to say no, but I have the advantage of a wondeful healthcare plan and I am single. A 5% hit to my paycheck would cost me $200 more a month so its pretty obvious. Perhaps if I had a family my sentiment may be different since the cost for 2+ is pretty **** high.
____________________________
"Hey guys! I got a fever..and the only prescription is......MORE COW BELL!"
#9 Jun 17 2004 at 11:57 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,743 posts
Quote:
There is also something to be said for putting a cap on lawsuit awards. Doctor assed up your surgery, yup you deserve some compensation at least what you would have been expected to make in your lifetime with expected economical growth. $25,000,000 I don't f'ing thing so...


I have to agree. Malpractice suits are a bunch of crap, it coincides with many ppls longing to sue someone just to make a quick buck. I am not saying that doctors are perfect but a cap on malpractice would be nice.
____________________________
"Hey guys! I got a fever..and the only prescription is......MORE COW BELL!"
#10 Jun 17 2004 at 12:19 PM Rating: Good
****
4,688 posts
I just think that Mr. Nader has one good idea:

All punitive damages go to the state

That would allow a jury to punish someone by taking money from them, but nobody could sue for malpractice just to get rich.
____________________________
------------------------------------------------
What of it?
#11 Jun 17 2004 at 4:57 PM Rating: Excellent
Spankatorium Administratix
Avatar
*****
1oooo posts
Well, seeing as I am one of those unfortunate Americans without health insurance, this may just have gotten my attention!
____________________________

#12 Jun 17 2004 at 7:20 PM Rating: Decent
**
540 posts
YES.
#13 Jun 17 2004 at 7:47 PM Rating: Decent
*****
12,622 posts
Survival of the fittest.
____________________________
Blah
#14 Jun 17 2004 at 8:34 PM Rating: Good
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
I'll go 6%!
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#15 Jun 17 2004 at 9:14 PM Rating: Good
Encyclopedia
******
34,917 posts
Smasharoo wrote:
Would you pay 5 percent higher taxes for national healthcare for all Americans?


It would depend on a lot of factors:

What is that 5% in relation to? The tax I already pay? Or is this an overall 5% increase in the total "personal" taxes collected, and we'll scale the amounts in some way? Or some other method?

It's easy to say "would you pay X amount more", but since this is a national healthcare plan, I have to assume this will increase taxes for everyone. If I and only I had to pay 5% more taxes and that would somehow magically pay for everyone in the US to get healthcare, then I'd be willing to bite that bullet for the good of mankind. I'm relatively certain you didn't mean it that way though.


Additionally, where's the future impact report? IE: Where did that 5% increase figure come from? Is that based on current health care costs? Some kind of projected need? Does it include all care that people might want? Or is it restricted to only proceedures currently being performed by HMOs and such? What guarantees do we have that once we institute a national healthcare plan that the actual cost per person for care wont skyrocket? If you don't think the mere fact that people are given "free" health care wont result in an increase in total health care costs per-person, you are very naive.

Can you guarantee me that in 10 years, we wont be paying closer to 20 or 15 percent of our income on average to pay for this?


I'd say that if you could guarantee all of that, I might go for it. However, I'm pretty much certain that those costs will go up, and the program will get larger and consume more of the "income" across the board over time. But then, that's why I'm an advocate for a free market instead of a socialist. It's not that I don't think free medical care for everyone wouldn't be a great idea. I just know that in the long run, the costs of the program, and the reductions in the quality of the medical care provided wont make it worthwhile.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#16 Jun 17 2004 at 9:25 PM Rating: Good
***
1,656 posts
Worked just fine when I was living in the UK.

I'll vote yes. But keep the option to go private too, to cut back on *********

Edited, Thu Jun 17 22:25:37 2004 by Crimanosuke
____________________________
Samanosuke
Levels:70SAM 62PLD 60RDM 59WAR 37THF 37WHM 35NIN 32COR 32RNG 31BLM 24MNK 24SMN 24DRG 15DRK 15BST 14BRD
#17 Jun 17 2004 at 11:24 PM Rating: Good
******
20,674 posts
Free health care is the r0xx0r so to speak.

Though im sure the transistion from private to public would be a pain in the *** of monumental proportions.
____________________________
Bode - 100 Holy Paladin - Lightbringer
#18 Jun 17 2004 at 11:48 PM Rating: Decent
Imaginary Friend
*****
16,057 posts
Do any other countries have free health care?
____________________________
With the receiver in my hand..
#19 Jun 18 2004 at 3:11 AM Rating: Good
Tracer Bullet
*****
12,636 posts

Canada's healthcare system isn't exactly perfect.

Google something like "healthcare problems in canada" and you'll find a lot of info on it. I don't have the energy or interest to research it myself, but as with any socialist program, it has its flaws.

I can't really say whether I'm for or against it, maybe a middle-ground compromise between our current system and national free healthcare would be a good option.

____________________________
Na Zdrowie
#20 Jun 18 2004 at 3:49 AM Rating: Good
Smasharoo

Can you please quantify the 5% increase? Would it be across the board on everything like income, sales, property, gas, B&O, keyboard, etc. taxes or what?
#21 Jun 18 2004 at 6:22 AM Rating: Default
Lunatic
******
30,084 posts
Quote:

It would depend on a lot of factors:

What is that 5% in relation to? The tax I already pay? Or is this an overall 5% increase in the total "personal" taxes collected, and we'll scale the amounts in some way? Or some other method?

It's easy to say "would you pay X amount more", but since this is a national healthcare plan, I have to assume this will increase taxes for everyone. If I and only I had to pay 5% more taxes and that would somehow magically pay for everyone in the US to get healthcare, then I'd be willing to bite that bullet for the good of mankind. I'm relatively certain you didn't mean it that way though.


Additionally, where's the future impact report? IE: Where did that 5% increase figure come from? Is that based on current health care costs? Some kind of projected need? Does it include all care that people might want? Or is it restricted to only proceedures currently being performed by HMOs and such? What guarantees do we have that once we institute a national healthcare plan that the actual cost per person for care wont skyrocket? If you don't think the mere fact that people are given "free" health care wont result in an increase in total health care costs per-person, you are very naive.

Can you guarantee me that in 10 years, we wont be paying closer to 20 or 15 percent of our income on average to pay for this?


I'd say that if you could guarantee all of that, I might go for it. However, I'm pretty much certain that those costs will go up, and the program will get larger and consume more of the "income" across the board over time. But then, that's why I'm an advocate for a free market instead of a socialist. It's not that I don't think free medical care for everyone wouldn't be a great idea. I just know that in the long run, the costs of the program, and the reductions in the quality of the medical care provided wont make it worthwhile.


Only you would be unable to answer a simple yes or no question without 300 words of random dross.

Quote:

Smasharoo

Can you please quantify the 5% increase? Would it be across the board on everything like income, sales, property, gas, B&O, keyboard, etc. taxes or what?


It's irrelevant. 5% more in taxes. If you pay 1000 in taxes per year from all sources, you'd pay 1050.


Edited, Fri Jun 18 07:26:23 2004 by Smasharoo
____________________________
Disclaimer:

To make a long story short, I don't take any responsibility for anything I post here. It's not news, it's not truth, it's not serious. It's parody. It's satire. It's bitter. It's angsty. Your mother's a *****. You like to jack off dogs. That's right, you heard me. You like to grab that dog by the bone and rub it like a ski pole. Your dad? ***. Your priest? Straight. **** off and let me post. It's not true, it's all in good fun. Now go away.

#22 Jun 18 2004 at 11:20 AM Rating: Good
**
424 posts
Yes.

Problems would be created, but many would be solved. I think it would be a trade up for the general well being of every individual.
____________________________
Fiery Feir'Dal Wizardess Extraordinaire

Is this where I list my classes and levels? They aren't impressive, so some others:
Talking 57 (A good deal of time spent, but not overworked as it gets tiresome);
Laughing 75 (Maxed quickly & easily);
Cheerfulness 62 (Occasional set backs due to mean people);
Arogance 16 (leveled in my youth but since abandoned);
Anger 11 (Pulse quickening, but not very fun to play);
Bitterness 1 (Not me at all, will never level it)
#23 Jun 18 2004 at 11:53 AM Rating: Decent
****
5,311 posts
Quote:
Do any other countries have free health care?
Most, if not all industrialized nations have some form of national health care system.

Except the United States.
____________________________
"God created man from a handful of dust, and he created woman from that man's rib. And these two together were so stupid that they weren't on the planet five minutes when they managed to get a curse put on all future generations. Nice work." Pat Condell
#24 Jun 18 2004 at 12:02 PM Rating: Default
Lunatic
******
30,084 posts
The US is the only industralized country without it, although of course we do have certain, massively expensive "safety nets" of mandatory treatement of the seriously injured. That doesn't stop people fron dying because of lack of health care however.
____________________________
Disclaimer:

To make a long story short, I don't take any responsibility for anything I post here. It's not news, it's not truth, it's not serious. It's parody. It's satire. It's bitter. It's angsty. Your mother's a *****. You like to jack off dogs. That's right, you heard me. You like to grab that dog by the bone and rub it like a ski pole. Your dad? ***. Your priest? Straight. **** off and let me post. It's not true, it's all in good fun. Now go away.

#25 Jun 18 2004 at 12:20 PM Rating: Good
Quote:
It's irrelevant. 5% more in taxes. If you pay 1000 in taxes per year from all sources, you'd pay 1050.

If it's 5% more total out of my pocket, then yes. However, you also didn't mention if businesses would be dinged 5% more. Keep in mind, those businesses would increase their prices to cover the added 5%. Or would they be exempt from this?

I use to be co-owner in a sausage and cheese distributorship. We paid the manufacture $2.35 a pound for mild cheddar cheese. We sold it to the stores for $3.05 a pound. Most stores sold it for $3.95 a pound.

If I get your meaning correctly, the manufacturer would have sold us the cheese for $2.47 to cover the added 5% to their cost of added taxes. In order to make up for the added 5% and the cost we purchased it for, we would then sell the cheese to the stores for $3.42 a pound. The grocery store takes their typical mark-up on cheese, calculates things out and decides to sell it for $4.37 a pound plus an added 5% sales tax.

Or would you take that example and say the manufacture, middleman and retailer wouldn't pay the 5% but the consumer would pay an additional 5% sales tax on top of the origional $3.95 a pound?

Last question for you Smasharoo. Although you and a lot of other people might have a pretty decent grasp on what's taxed out there, do you think everybody on these boards knows how much they pay in taxes - both directly and indirectly? I know about a nice handful of them but I'll bet there's a lot more out there that I don't know about.

To everybody a little less, about the same or more slightly more enlightened as me when it comes to taxes. Do you think sales tax, income tax and property tax are the only taxes that impact you?
#26 Jun 18 2004 at 12:23 PM Rating: Default
Lunatic
******
30,084 posts
Why is it that the conservative posters have to construct an elaborate imaginary case scenario to answer a simple yes or no question?
____________________________
Disclaimer:

To make a long story short, I don't take any responsibility for anything I post here. It's not news, it's not truth, it's not serious. It's parody. It's satire. It's bitter. It's angsty. Your mother's a *****. You like to jack off dogs. That's right, you heard me. You like to grab that dog by the bone and rub it like a ski pole. Your dad? ***. Your priest? Straight. **** off and let me post. It's not true, it's all in good fun. Now go away.

« Previous 1 2 3 4
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 65 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (65)