Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Immortality (scientific)Follow

#1 May 07 2004 at 10:04 AM Rating: Decent
*****
15,861 posts
eh.. just follow the links.. I'm lazy and life is too short...

http://www.viewzone.com/aging.html

http://www.aleph.se/Trans/Individual/Life/


personally I think taht science made it so taht we could live forever .. It would be the GREATEST ABOMONATION that man has achieved.....

We would be the ones in the Book of Revelation "begging God to end our Lives on Earth" but denied and condenmed to dwell n the hell we have created for ourselves..


Death is a natural process.. like taking a sh*t.. only our soul sh*ts out our lives...our Egos to be more presise..

To keep the body form dying trapps the Soul.. and the growth of the soul will be screwed.. We die for a reason..... the Soul must move on... Not meant to be 'imprisoned' in the bounds of Malkuth.

http://www.unification.net/ws/theme040.htm

http://www.irishdruidry.org/index.php?p=9&msgcat=3
____________________________
With the receiver in my hand..
#2 May 07 2004 at 10:18 AM Rating: Good
***
1,102 posts
Kelvyquayo the Malevolent wrote:
personally I think taht science made it so taht we could live forever .. It would be the GREATEST ABOMONATION that man has achieved.....


Even if they manage to reactive telomerase, other factors are still degrading life. Until they can stop scar formation and encourage functional cell proliferation, people will still die from liver, kidney, heart, and other organ failures (unless they actually also get around to functional and applicable organ transplants, but even then, they have to get around the brain and the fact that neurons really don't like to replicate themselves.)

So, our bodies will live longer, but we'll be brain-dead zombies. ;) I'd rather just be dead than be 150 year old that looks like a 50 year old and have the mind of a 6 month old puppy.

Quote:
We die for a reason..... the Soul must move on... Not meant to be 'imprisoned' in the bounds of Malkuth.


Well, biologically we die for lots of reasons, and for population purposes for other reasons.

As for the soul, (if you believe in it or not), it all depends on what religion you believe in. Some faiths have the soul going to a final resting place. Some have it being reincarnated based on kharma until it reaches that final resting place. It will go back to the earth. It dissipates. There is no soul (only Zuul!) only electrical energy.

It will also come down to personal choice. There will be people who think that reactivating their telomeres goes against God's will and will not do it. There will be those who believe that they have something to offer to society and so opt for it to keep delivering whatever it is they feel they have.

If it does happen like that - where people can take something to prolong their lives that 1: it should be available to everyone, no matter who they are, what class they are, etc. and 2: if something like that is implemented, we need to implement some form of population control, or we'll outgrow the planet.
____________________________
kdots.blogspot.com
#3 May 07 2004 at 11:15 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,273 posts
Quote:
we need to implement some form of population control, or we'll outgrow the planet.


We'll never achieve immortality!

We may prolong life, to a small degree, say 20-40 more years (120years old). We are only beginning to scratch the surface in what we know about cells, life, death, etc... and at the rate we are learning this, it will be another 1,000 years before we ever actually apply any kind of REAL life extending applications!

As far as controling world population, we do that already, it's called war, famine, murder, etc... It's all part of our animal-self!

The world isnt overpopulated, we COULD produce all the food we need to feed the world twice over! We would rather spend our efforts on making the 2% of the world population rich and comfortable.

As for a soul, spirit, God, etc... there is no proof for any of thoses ideas, all ye have is just faith for proof. Faith that GOd will wipe away all tears, some far off day, but not today, not for you, not for the thousands who die of hunger, not for the little child who is being molested and then murdered. God will fix it all in heaven, just be content for now! Anyways, THAT is what the 2% uses to keep the idiot masses under thier boot heel!

The world belongs to the people, not to the 2% rich. it's time to remove the 2%!!!!

Edited, Fri May 7 12:16:47 2004 by singforu
____________________________
Singforu, Direns's Hold
#4 May 07 2004 at 11:17 AM Rating: Decent
Lunatic
******
28,585 posts
Quote:

To keep the body form dying trapps the Soul.. and the growth of the soul will be screwed.. We die for a reason..... the Soul must move on... Not meant to be 'imprisoned' in the bounds of Malkuth.

Riight.

Well, the good news is that all you religious whackos could just kill yourselves and I'd get to live o forever in a paradise world decoid of Easter Bunny believers. Although, to be honest, the people raking in your cash over the "christ" story would just change it so that immmortality was dandy. They'd need all the suckers alive to keep building the big castles.
____________________________
Disclaimer:

To make a long story short, I don't take any responsibility for anything I post here. It's not news, it's not truth, it's not serious. It's parody. It's satire. It's bitter. It's angsty. Your mother's a whore. You like to jack off dogs. That's right, you heard me. You like to grab that dog by the bone and rub it like a ski pole. Your dad? Gay. Your priest? Straight. @#%^ off and let me post. It's not true, it's all in good fun. Now go away.

#5 May 07 2004 at 11:53 AM Rating: Good
***
1,102 posts
singforu wrote:
Faith that GOd will wipe away all tears, some far off day, but not today, not for you, not for the thousands who die of hunger, not for the little child who is being molested and then murdered.


Actually, that's called Free-Will in religious circles. If God stopped all murderers and molesters and war-mongerers, then it wouldn't be Free-Will.

It's a tricky Catch-22.

If God is a good and kind God, why does he let things like that happen?
...
If God is a good and kind God, he can't take away free-will, because that is wrong, bad, evil, etc, etc.

True, the status-quo religious circles are used for control of the masses. I believe that. How do you stop murder and theft? Tell people that when they die, they'll go to Hell! Bam! Control.

What that doesn't negate is that people can have faith that falls into one of the mainstream religions without being blind sheep (Baaa! Baaa!) and doing good things because they're told they should to go to Heaven.

Some of us have spent time looking into faith, thinking about it, debating it, and then thinking some more about it before deciding that whatever it is they think is enough "proof" for them to believe.
(Belief is the acceptance of something without proof, so by its very nature, religion almost can't be proven, unless you want to get scientific about it (yes, religion and science! OMG!))

Does that mean if telomerase became available I wouldn't take it because I believe in God? Uh. No.

In my opinion, God is the one who gave us the ability to discover things like this. If he didn't want us to use it, then he wouldn't put the option there before us. Sure, some of it is Free Will and we could be taking that apple, but... I don't think so.

Provided it doesn't hurt anyone. It allows you to maintain your mental facilities. It doesn't cause something else terrible to happen (like rampant overpopulation and all its ramifications), then .. is it wrong? I don't think so.
____________________________
kdots.blogspot.com
#6 May 07 2004 at 11:55 AM Rating: Good
***
1,102 posts
Smasharoo wrote:
I'd get to live o forever in a paradise world decoid of Easter Bunny believers.


What do you mean? Easter Bunny believers? You mean.. the Easter Bunny isn't real? *starts to break down into hysterics* Next you'll tell me that Santa Clause isn't real?!

(Besides, why would you want to live in a world where the Easter Bunny doesn't color eggs and hide them around your house so you can make your spouse wake up and find them because you can and he will. :)
____________________________
kdots.blogspot.com
#7 May 07 2004 at 12:39 PM Rating: Decent
*****
15,861 posts
Quote:
Well, the good news is that all you religious whackos could just kill yourselves and I'd get to live o forever in a paradise world decoid of Easter Bunny believers. Although, to be honest, the people raking in your cash over the "christ" story would just change it so that immmortality was dandy. They'd need all the suckers alive to keep building the big castles.


waht I said has Naught to do with religion.

religion is a mixing of Cultural tradition and Spirituality..
in essence, cutltial traditon in Ego-centric.. and earthly.

It is good for brotherhood... but usually not for truth.

Quote:
thousands who die of hunger, not for the little child who is being molested and then murdered.


these things are Earthly trivialities.. designed to promote the growth of the immortal soul... To our EGO it all horrible.. but to out Soul it is another stepping stone to Evolution.

People are always like.."Why does God let this happen?.. ect ect.." People act like the "mind" of God can compare with our selfish and egocentric prideful expectations of waht we define as a "pleasant life" Good and Bad are PRIMITIVE Human concepts... Life and existance is dependant on growth.. not sunshines and lollipops.

Quote:
Until they can stop scar formation and encourage functional cell proliferation, people will still die from liver, kidney, heart, and other organ failures

If they do the Stem Cell thing... with organ farms and spare parts for us..... We'd be square.

Quote:
There is no soul (only Zuul!) only electrical energy.


I think Life..or existance is sort of Dualistic.... In one aspect it is all electrical energy.. http://www.holoscience.com/
But there is another NON-Logical.. RIGHT Brained side to it... The side of things we tend to ignore in preference of justifying the wrong way that 99.9999% of us live our lives.. dictated by greed and pride.. not realizing taht the answers to life are all around you.... All things represent a Uniques oneness.. a basic Essence that resided in all thing.. One on ly need to break tings down to a basic level...... Strip away all of the names taht our Egos attach to things... and thinkabout things on an emotional level.... Try to think of somthing wth out your Ego gettting in the way.. attaching words and mundane concepts to it... Waht people Call God.. I call the Laws of Existance.. and this exist in all things/ and Everything.... we only need to look for the patterns... religion doesn't enter into it.... nor does money and power and food and children.... It ALL juat a Cosmic metaphor for the Ultimate Truth.... Waht is the Ultimate Truth???.. Any words about it would only be metaphors for somting that exsists beyond the scope of humans logical reasoning..

come on now... Pick it apart please.
____________________________
With the receiver in my hand..
#8 May 07 2004 at 1:01 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,289 posts
Quote:
Well, the good news is that all you religious whackos could just kill yourselves and I'd get to live o forever in a paradise world decoid of Easter Bunny believers. Although, to be honest, the people raking in your cash over the "christ" story would just change it so that immmortality was dandy. They'd need all the suckers alive to keep building the big castles.


LMAO. The bit about changing the story so that immortality was acceptable is great. You know they would, thats the beauty of christianity - it's so adaptable!
____________________________
Dann:BRD75 MNK75 PLD66 NIN56 WAR37 WHM37 RDM37
#9 May 07 2004 at 1:23 PM Rating: Decent
Lunatic
******
28,585 posts
I think Life..or existance is sort of Dualistic.... In one aspect it is all Santa Clause.. http://www.claus.com/
But there is another NON-Logical.. RIGHT Brained side to it... The side of things we tend to ignore in preference of justifying the wrong way that 99.9999% of us live our lives.. dictated by greed and pride.. not realizing taht the answers to life are all around you.... All things represent an Easter Bunny.. a basic
Rabbit that resided in all thing.. One only need to break tings down to a basic level...... Strip away all of the names taht our Egos attach to things... and thinkabout things on an emotional level.... Try to think of somthing wth out your Ego gettting in the way.. attaching words and mundane concepts to it... Waht people Call God.. I call the Easter Bunny.. and this exist in all things/ and Everything.... we only need to look for the patterns... religion doesn't enter into it.... nor does money and power and food and children.... It ALL juat a Cosmic metaphor for the Bunny.... Waht is the Easter Bunny???.. Any words about it would only be metaphors for somting that exsists beyond the scope of humans logical reasoning..

come on now... Pick it apart please.

Oh, no, I don't think I could. It's a logically sound argument in favor of the Easter Bunny controlling everything in the universe. Who could argue with that.
____________________________
Disclaimer:

To make a long story short, I don't take any responsibility for anything I post here. It's not news, it's not truth, it's not serious. It's parody. It's satire. It's bitter. It's angsty. Your mother's a whore. You like to jack off dogs. That's right, you heard me. You like to grab that dog by the bone and rub it like a ski pole. Your dad? Gay. Your priest? Straight. @#%^ off and let me post. It's not true, it's all in good fun. Now go away.

#10 May 07 2004 at 1:27 PM Rating: Decent
oh damn another religious thread...
____________________________
WORLD OF WARCRAFT
Ithrin 80 Warlock, Silvermoon Server

EVE ONLINE
Ithrinmax Gallente Mining Pilot

Winner of theLast(tm) VII game, go me!
#11 May 07 2004 at 1:57 PM Rating: Decent
*****
15,861 posts
This is a 'scientific' thread.. didn't you read the title? (^_~)



Smasharoo,

couldn't have said it better myself ^^... now let us all @#%^ like bunnies!!

Edited, Fri May 7 15:14:33 2004 by Kelvyquayo
____________________________
With the receiver in my hand..
#12 May 07 2004 at 2:13 PM Rating: Good
******
20,629 posts
You can make it so someone live to be 1000 years old but the older you get the more likely your sorry ass will get shot or hit by a car or something.

____________________________
Bode - 90 Holy Paladin - Lightbringer
#13 May 07 2004 at 2:16 PM Rating: Decent
*****
15,861 posts
"on a line enough time-line, everyones survival rate drops to Zero." ~ I am Jacks complete lack of surprise
____________________________
With the receiver in my hand..
#14 May 07 2004 at 2:21 PM Rating: Good
******
20,629 posts
Kudos on fight club reference mainly because it agrees with me which i always like.

P.S. change your voltiare quote before quoting :P
____________________________
Bode - 90 Holy Paladin - Lightbringer
#15 May 07 2004 at 10:52 PM Rating: Decent
*
118 posts
People will gradually get lazier.

Do you know how many people die from unnatural causes?

I don't think even if everyone was -immortal- in this sense, it would make much difference. Life would just be one step lower from the low value it's at already.

No big deal.

As for religious fanatics, well, they have their own views. If they want to believe that giving their money towards the religion-pyramid-scheme and getting others into it is what they want to invest their time in, good for them.

It takes all kinds of ignorance to run the world. If everyone really knew everything, then no one would want to work lower level jobs.

There would be no one to feed you pizza, or hamburgers, and continue doing it thinking that god loves them and that they will be alright.

Meanwhile, the people that have everything are content and happy, and have people to blindly do things for them while they are well off. It's a classic idea, it's been done for centuries.


Edited, Fri May 7 23:54:47 2004 by Flekite
____________________________
Musician of Titan
BC40 record: 117-22

-Religion is the highest form of government. People will always be mortal. People will always fear death. Fear will always be the most effective way to control.
-Titan Forum thingy of Unofficialness
-RPGBard.com
#16 May 08 2004 at 10:51 AM Rating: Decent
*****
15,861 posts
the immortality that you speak of WOuld Not be compatabtle with the Lives we live today.

jobs?, ask yourself why we work... its becasue of greed.... AL food cloths and shelter aside.. the only other reson we go to work is to get money so we can have Extra Luxuries <----redundant.

BUt it is beyond a personal level...It is pretty mch all of man kind.... I am including cars, T.V.s, COMPUTERs, DVD PLayers, All of theat sh*t... WE don't @#%^ing need it, any of it.. Break it down and it boils down to our selfish wants...

who needs all that when you got heroin?


Edited, Sat May 8 11:51:13 2004 by Kelvyquayo
____________________________
With the receiver in my hand..
#17 May 08 2004 at 6:08 PM Rating: Good
******
20,629 posts
Hurray for Heroin

I inject between my toes so no one see's the track marks ^^
____________________________
Bode - 90 Holy Paladin - Lightbringer
#18 May 08 2004 at 7:33 PM Rating: Decent
Quote:
jobs?, ask yourself why we work... its becasue of greed.... AL food cloths and shelter aside.. the only other reson we go to work is to get money so we can have Extra Luxuries <----redundant.


GFY

Dont tell me why i go to work, dont tell me what my motives are, its my right to work and no idiot like you is going to tell me im greedy. without going to work we would all be dependant on the state, which would collapse and everyone would die of famine and drought. Without us going to work we would not live, dont call me greedy because of that you stupid, narrow-minded, gullible, human equivalent of dirt.
____________________________
Expert Brewer Dracoid Electricbozoukiboy
68 Halfling Druid with 35AA

The first one now will later be last, for the times, they are a-changin'
#19 May 08 2004 at 9:44 PM Rating: Good
Quote:
jobs?, ask yourself why we work... its becasue of greed.... AL food cloths and shelter aside.. the only other reson we go to work is to get money so we can have Extra Luxuries <----redundant.


Like fake boobies for the wife! Yay!!!!

____________________________
Sarcasm, the lowest form of wit, is my best weapon.

Reinmon, 58 Ranger
Slaher, 58 Shaman
Aude Sapere
Povar Server
#20 May 09 2004 at 1:16 AM Rating: Decent
*****
15,861 posts
Quote:
Dont tell me why i go to work, dont tell me what my motives are, its my right to work and no idiot like you is going to tell me im greedy. without going to work we would all be dependant on the state, which would collapse and everyone would die of famine and drought. Without us going to work we would not live, dont call me greedy because of that you stupid, narrow-minded, gullible, human equivalent of dirt.


I've never gotten grinched on by a Brit before, neatto!!(i'm Irish too.. how simply felicitous!)
/bow
/bird

Obviously what I am saying has passed over your hostile head....

..looks like I struck a nerve.... good

ahem waht's theh matter.. having trouble justifying your measly life of scrounging for the capitalist scraps that fall from the table of the elitist patritions....

..or I dunno.. maybe your one of those rich @#%^s that has had everything handed to you all your life.. you must love your job to defend it so sternly and make such crass personal remarks toward me...either that or in denial that we'd get along just fine on our own...and everything we are doing is from centuries and centuries and generations of being brainwashed into believing taht we can;t do anything for ourselves and have to depend on an arbitrary unit called "currency" to indebt ourselves beneath the wing of the Fat and Rich masses so we feel alittle safer in this world of mysteries.

WORK= for Food, Clothes, and Shelter.. anything else IS GREED.. waht else do you NEED??! ALL THE REST IS VANITY. Animals get along just fine.. Why can't we?.... BEcause we are greedy...

I'm not saying my views are realistic.... things are the way they are for a reason...but I am from the point of view of things the way they would be if people would stop kissing their own asses... but WE have been doing it for thousands of years.. why would we stop now?

Read the Bible mother@#%^er: Matthew 6:28,29 & 30.


BTW.. Why did you call me gullible?..or are you just grabbing wahtever form the arsonal of your vocabulary to vent on me? dick

Edited, Sun May 9 02:26:47 2004 by Kelvyquayo
____________________________
With the receiver in my hand..
#21 May 10 2004 at 11:24 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,273 posts
Quote:
dont call me greedy because of that you stupid, narrow-minded, gullible, human equivalent of dirt.


Hehe.... Dang... who pissed on yer parade!?!?!?

Quote:
Obviously what I am saying has passed over your hostile head....


I'd say so...

Quote:
Read the Bible mother@#%^er: Matthew 6:28,29 & 30.


Fuk dat stick.... thatz part of OUR problem! That book has cuz way too much trublez. Books like the Bible, Koran, and any other books like em needz to be forgoten. The contents of these books are the source of mucho trublez in the world. We need to erase the books, and the relegions they feed! If need be... erase the peeps who follows them.

Christians are, in reality, money worshipers and money whores!
Need proof? Look at thier gawdy churchs, way too much money for a loussy building
As for Muslems, they're no better, instead of money, they worship hate!
And for the Jewish relgion... well, where do y think thoses two above religions came from! Get rid of all three!
____________________________
Singforu, Direns's Hold
#23 May 10 2004 at 1:12 PM Rating: Decent
*****
15,861 posts
Christianity is just a cloak people wear... don't judge the cloak... judge the people. All that stuff you said can be said about people from ANY group. Don't be narrow minded.

About Bible quote: Though I disagree with waht Humans have done I do Agree with the Words of Jesus.(reminds me of a Buhddist monk actually)... If you read the Gospels.. it's basically Him telling people how it is "stay positive and if you have enough faith you can make ANYTHING happen" the rest is people asking him stupisd questions and him correcting themm... but obviously they never have learned.. for the most part.

That particular quote was about the fact animals and such get along just fine with keeping nourished and warm.... without worrying about wealth and power like we do.

Try not to automatically bash stuff just because of waht people do with it... Remember it is just a concept... people make all the difference....

Jesus was great.. he said Walk on water with me.. not.. Bow to me and worship me and Then you can walk on water.. he said .. if you believe it.. you can do it.. That's Cool.

Now Human beings in general ahve @#%^ed it all up.. and now people worship a BOOK (idolitry) more than anything else. People just miss the whole @#%^ing point.. and have been since the beginging.. THAT is waht Jesus was saying.. besically "You're all being Idiots!!... all you need to do is chill out, not be greedy and everything will be fine"
But take his words and even his name and make it a tool for their own greed. if Jesus DID come back this day.. and everyone Bowed before him kissing the dirt.. I'd bet he's say "Get the hell up and live life"

and this STILL is NOT a religious thread, I swear.
____________________________
With the receiver in my hand..
#24 May 11 2004 at 12:27 AM Rating: Decent
1 post
If you are supposed to die and go to paradise, why bother putting on your seatbelt when you get in a car?
#25 May 11 2004 at 7:55 AM Rating: Good
***
1,102 posts
SodolloboZ wrote:
If you are supposed to die and go to paradise, why bother putting on your seatbelt when you get in a car?


Because life is a precious gift and as wonderful as paradise is supposed to be (it is paradise, after all, how can it not be wonderful? ;) it doesn't have all the experiences and joys that you could get just by living life here.

Would you pass out on some food today and tomorrow and the next day because on the weekend you're going to go to a banquet? :)
____________________________
kdots.blogspot.com
#26 May 11 2004 at 8:22 AM Rating: Decent
*****
15,861 posts
good answer Kiatrix.

but the real answer is 42.
although I don't think that was the real question..
____________________________
With the receiver in my hand..
#27 May 11 2004 at 8:52 AM Rating: Good
***
1,102 posts
Kelvyquayo the Malevolent wrote:
good answer Kiatrix.

but the real answer is 42.
although I don't think that was the real question..


Thanks. I spend days just thinking of how to answer questions like that. ;)

I love those books, by the way. Have you read Starship Titanic by the same author?
____________________________
kdots.blogspot.com
#28 May 11 2004 at 8:57 AM Rating: Decent
*****
15,861 posts
hha, no havn't read it... though I here a full length movie is being made on the series. Hope they don't ruin it.

"...Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much... the wheel, New York,
wars, and so on, whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely the dolphins believed themselves to be more intelligent than man for
precisely the same reasons."
~Douglas Adams
____________________________
With the receiver in my hand..
#30 May 11 2004 at 9:31 AM Rating: Decent
*****
15,861 posts
"Choose Life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a @#%^ing big television, choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol, and dental insurance. Choose fixed interest mortage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisurewear and matching luggage. Choose a three-piece suite on hire purchase in a range of @#%^ing fabrics. Choose DIY and wondering who the @#%^ you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing @#%^ing junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, @#%^ed up brats you spawned to replace yourself.

Choose your future.

Choose life."



Edited, Tue May 11 10:32:34 2004 by Kelvyquayo
____________________________
With the receiver in my hand..
#31 May 11 2004 at 10:17 AM Rating: Good
***
1,102 posts
Choose life.
Choose a career. (Which is not a job)
Choose a dream.
Follow your dream.
Choose happiness.
Follow happiness.

If things are not working out for you, do not be afraid of change.

Just because I have a big television and lots of fun little gadgets doesn't mean that I'm a bad person, nor does it mean that I will one day have brats who have no concept of the best way to live. I have a big television because I enjoy watching movies, and because my career gives me the money for it, I can buy it and enjoy it.

I choose to spend my money on things that I enjoy. I'm lucky enough to have a career that will allow me to do so.

I choose good health because I do not like being unhealthy. What is the joy of taking your happy wagging-tail dogs to the park if you're too out of shape to play with them?

I choose to take care of my body because it is the receptacle of everything I am and until I die, it is the only thing I have to do the things I want to do with.

I choose to look good by buying clothing that look nice on me because I enjoy myself and dressing nice makes me enjoy myself more. I was given this body, I work to maintain this body, I am proud of my body. So I express that.

I choose to buy good fabrics and foods because it enhances my enjoyment of life. I can get buy on burlap and cheap food if I had to, but I don't have to. So why should I?

My career is something I enjoy doing, I enjoy waking up to. I am lucky enough to have a career that will support the other things in my life that I enjoy right now. However, if my career did not support those things, undoubtedly I would find other things that I enjoy and do those instead. I enjoy taking my dogs on a walk. That's free. I enjoy going for walks. Those are also free. I enjoy swimming. I know where there's a lake and no one is going to charge me to swim there. I enjoy writing. I can spend $1 and buy myself 200 pages of paper, and 25c to buy myself a pencil.

It isn't about money. I don't work for money. I work for what I believe in. A side effect of my work is the money and I spend that however I want to. Some of that will be spent furthering the things I believe in, such as spay/neuter programs for pets, animal shelters, and funds to allow people who can't pay for their pets problems to be fixed to be fixed, other portions of that money will be spent on my family, friends, and myself.

Not everyone can have a career. Which is exceptionally sad to me. They may be fine with that, and they may be happy doing what they are doing, because to them, it isn't what they are doing that is important, it is what they can then do with that money. If it is to buy themselves a big TV to watch reality TV shows on, and that is what makes them happy - who are you to tell them that it's wrong? It is wrong for you. But they aren't you. They're themselves.

....
But back to immortality - stem cells still can't do everything. There are some things that the stem cells we get we simply cannot make them do. So people will still die of things other than age. In fact, the longer we as a people live, the more likely we are to die of cancer, degenerative diseases that were not known before, and accidents.

So, some people, yes, may well be as close to immortal as to make no difference. But I still think most people will not be. And then you get to the problem... what do you do, when you're immortal and everyone around you is dying? All that sorrow, for so long? Won't there come a day when you want to die also, because you're just... too lonely? Some people, no. Some people, yes.
____________________________
kdots.blogspot.com
#32 May 11 2004 at 11:31 AM Rating: Decent
*****
15,861 posts
Kiatrix,

i am refreshed by your post as return from napping in my 2004 Sunfire in the 7-11 parking lot after consuming several Taquitos, a Red Bull, and 2 Ecederin,(others un-mentioned), while on hour break from my job as a "Manager of Information Systems". When I get home in 5 hours I hope to play as much Final Fantasy as posible, but only before taking out my mother, visiting some friends, and taking out my girlfriend....

PLease forgive me.. i'm still in a sleep-like state i think.... But as you can see.... I also live and love life. I play the game, and somtimes it's a struggle.. but I jsut have to remember that it is all a fraction of a bigger picture. Staying positive is the key.

I mean no insult to people by my ultra-anacronist themed posts... Though I do believe in waht I type, I am aware of the futility..... waht I try to describe is the paradisical utopia.... Most of the troubles taht we have today are caused by the very things taht we strive for.... the whole time realizing that what we need was there the whole time... But as I said, we must play the game.

Stem Cells and cloning... I don't really care about that stuff... we're trying to deafeat death.... well waht's wrong with death... in my point of view it is merely a metamorphosus into somthing greater.... whether you beleive in Heavan, or Returning to the 'Mothership' in Pleades, or Awwyn, or Valhalla, or the Twat, or wahtever..... I just see trying to stop evoloution.

But the world has grown how it has grown and we are placed here to take part in it for wahtever purpose.... we much each do our part and learn our lesssons and grow from it. When our sould grow enough they can break free from the bounds of this Realm and go to either Nirvana, Oblivion, or the Endless Cycles of Being.... i don't know which one.....

sh*t.. i need to get to work.... pyramid building is tedious sh*t!
____________________________
With the receiver in my hand..
#33 May 11 2004 at 1:08 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,273 posts
Ya'know....with all this chat of relegion, in a scientific thread no less, I cant help but think of this...

A philosophy professor stood before his class with some items in front of him.

When the class began, he picked up a large empty jar and proceeded to fill it with rocks that were about 2" in diameter. He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was.

So the professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles rolled into the open areas between the rocks. He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was.

The professor picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. The sand filled up everything else. "Now," said the professor, "I want you to recognize that this is your life. The rocks are the important things - your family, your partner, your health, your children - things that if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full. The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your house, your car. The sand is everything else, the small stuff. If you put the sand into the jar first, there is no room for the pebbles or the rocks. The same goes for your life. If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff, you will never have room for the things that are important to you. Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness. Play with your children. Take time to get medical check-ups. Take your partner out dancing. There will always be time to go to work, clean the house, give a dinner party and fix the disposal. Take care of the rocks first - the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand."

But then a student took the jar which the other students and the professor agreed was full, and proceeded to pour in a glass of beer. Of course the beer filled the remaining spaces within the jar making the jar truly full.

The moral of this tale is: no matter how full your life is, there is always room for beer!
____________________________
Singforu, Direns's Hold
#34 May 12 2004 at 10:49 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
151 posts
My god ppl! lol Dont mess with nature, except cloning, thats cool lol!
Anyways, I think messing with nature, will make it mess with us, will not be too long till the cities either are invaded by evil human clones, zombies or just enraged giant carnivoroius creatures ^^...or maybe the future wont be so bad?I say; LEARN FROM OLD SCI-FI MOVIES, IN THE FUTURE THE ROBOTS WILL TAKE OVER!!! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
____________________________
-And on the seventh day God took a day off, and have done so since then-
#35 May 13 2004 at 11:37 AM Rating: Good
***
1,102 posts
Eyap wrote:
I say; LEARN FROM OLD SCI-FI MOVIES, IN THE FUTURE THE ROBOTS WILL TAKE OVER!!! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!


Except most old sci-fi movies had giant insects, which are really, virtually impossible, unless you're talking ancient insects, which likely were able to survive because of atmospheric factors that are missing today. :)

Long discussion on mass:size ratios and the limitations of exoskeletons, but let's not get into it. ;)
____________________________
kdots.blogspot.com
#36 May 13 2004 at 11:53 AM Rating: Decent
**
862 posts
The Bible says:

"The god of this world (Satan) has blinded their eyes to the truth".

Jesus said that.

All of you lash out at God and people who believe in and follow Him because you don't know the truth. But it isn't your fault that you don't know the truth. It is the Christian's job to tell you the Good News. Your flesh will fight every inkling of God and Jesus. That is why so many anti-Christian posts are angry and violent. You need to accept Jesus people. Seriously. You can make fun and flame and mock until the day you die, but on that day there will be some reckoning. Don't wait.

How do I know there is a God, Jesus, heaven, hell, etc.? Because I believe the Word of God. I don't need to prove it. For example, I know I am a man. Whether or not you believe it makes no difference, I know it and it's true.

Lay down your angry walls and let God do something in your life.
____________________________


Ender's Blog

#37 May 13 2004 at 3:18 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,273 posts
Quote:
The Bible says:



The Bible says.... the bible says.... the bile say diddly-squat of real value! The bible was by MEN, therefore, itz full of mes's BS!


Quote:
"The god of this world (Satan) has blinded their eyes to the truth".


The big bad boogy man!

Quote:
Jesus said that.


What did he say, show me this book that JESUS wrote! Prove to me that he even lived!

Quote:
It is the Christian's job to tell you the Good New


You're JOB! Well, you're FIRED! Now pisss off!
____________________________
Singforu, Direns's Hold
#38 May 13 2004 at 3:26 PM Rating: Good
Well, I got to this one late, but saw something early on that caught my eye that I disagree with.

Quote:
We may prolong life, to a small degree, say 20-40 more years (120years old). We are only beginning to scratch the surface in what we know about cells, life, death, etc... and at the rate we are learning this, it will be another 1,000 years before we ever actually apply any kind of REAL life extending applications!


At the rate we are making improvements in modern medicine, I very much doubt that it will be 1000 years before anyone is able to apply any life extending applications. Look at where medicine was 60-70 years ago, or even 20 years ago, and where it is now. The only thing I see advancing faster than modern medicine is computer technology.

As to the religous arguments, I'll leave that one alone.
____________________________
Some people are like slinkies, they aren't really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
#39 May 13 2004 at 5:42 PM Rating: Decent
*****
15,861 posts
Quote:
The only thing I see advancing faster than modern medicine is computer technology.


You forgot about human stupidity. NO limits there.
____________________________
With the receiver in my hand..
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 59 All times are in CDT
Aethien, mandragate, someproteinguy, Anonymous Guests (56)