Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Dipper vs. FalcorrFollow

#1 Jan 26 2013 at 10:04 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
307 posts
Just curious on your thoughts- What are the pro's and con's of Dipper vs. Falcorr?

Both are listed as Thief pets with high evasion, but people usually mention Dipper when discussing an evasion tanking situation. They cost about the same per stack on my server. I was wondering what factors make you choose one over the other for any given battle.

Thanks in advance!
____________________________
BlueLand wrote:
You can always take a screen shot of the 1017 error and set it to your desktop background, its like playing FFXIV from work
#2 Jan 26 2013 at 11:00 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
260 posts
ChaChaJaJa wrote:
Just curious on your thoughts- What are the pro's and con's of Dipper vs. Falcorr?

Both are listed as Thief pets with high evasion, but people usually mention Dipper when discussing an evasion tanking situation. They cost about the same per stack on my server. I was wondering what factors make you choose one over the other for any given battle.

Thanks in advance!


As mentioned, DipperYuly is quite useful for evasive tanking because of its Evasion Bonus trait and Spiral Spin's Accuracy Down effect. The lil' Attack Down effect from Noisome Powder aids tanking further and also is useful for gaining the attention of nearby monsters (AoE Dynamis proc, wanting to avoid untimely links/aggro onto yourself, maybe other uses too). And then there are potential situations where you would like a combination of Treasure Hunter + Plantoid Killer (maybe if you're duoing something like Lost Fairy Ring? The other BST would have DiscreetLouise and whatnot).

FaithfulFalcorr has a lot of great advantages too, and I think it's fair to say that he sees more usage than Dipper overall. I use Choke Breath all the time, 1 charge, 30 seconds of paralysis/silence - so good. Jettatura is handy too. I like saving it for monsters that Perfect Dodge (a handy proc for beastmen in Dynamis), and it can be an additional stun move in most other situations.

But really, it all boils down to this: Falcorr doesn't have a constant buzzing sound effect.

Edited, Jan 26th 2013 5:18pm by Bookmarku
____________________________
Falkirk - Quetzalcoatl
99BST
#3 Jan 26 2013 at 2:28 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
***
2,098 posts
Have you seen plantoid killer proc on lost fairy ring? I haven't seen any killer effects proc in dynamis.

otherwise, yeah, spot on.

Falcor does better damage than Yuly, but Yuly evades better. that and the ecosystem relations are the reasons to choose one or the other in thf situations.

Yuly tanks JoL better than any other pet imo.
____________________________
Server: Bahamut
90BST|90BLU
LS: MONSTERSINC

Choh Moui | Rongo-Nango | Lhu Mhakaracca | Lungo-Nango | Nyumomo
--Beastmaster Forever--
#4 Jan 26 2013 at 3:52 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
260 posts
Xilk wrote:
Have you seen plantoid killer proc on lost fairy ring? I haven't seen any killer effects proc in dynamis.


Oh, oops, you're right... I haven't seen an intimidation proc (which is consistent with our understanding of Dynamis mobs), but ever since that update you can paralyze his "TP move" attack, the Dark Spore spam. I guess it's still just Bully that is applicable there... And if you're duoing in Dynamis, it's probably a good idea to have a THF with you anyway.

Yuly is a good tank for Ningishzida/Alfard as well, in my experience. And I like using Falcorr (w/Pet:Eva axes) to tank Khimaira/Khimaira Prideleader in Arrapago Remnants II - Choke Breath paralysis helps a fair amount.

Edited, Jan 26th 2013 5:09pm by Bookmarku
____________________________
Falkirk - Quetzalcoatl
99BST
#5 Jan 27 2013 at 1:53 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
307 posts
Alright, makes sense- thanks guys!
____________________________
BlueLand wrote:
You can always take a screen shot of the 1017 error and set it to your desktop background, its like playing FFXIV from work
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 18 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (18)