Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2 3 4
Reply To Thread

Job Adjustments and Additions: Part I (10/14/2009) Follow

#1 Oct 14 2009 at 5:35 AM Rating: Good
***
2,080 posts
Quote:


Rangers throughout the realm, sharpen your arrows and polish your rifles!
A host of ability tweaks scheduled for the new version update promise to render your finely honed hunting skills more potent than ever.

Ranger Job Adjustments

Job Ability Adjustments
- Velocity Shot
The duration of this ability will be increased from five minutes to two hours.

- Unlimited Shot
Once activated, this ability will remain in effect until you successfully hit your mark.

- Camouflage
Rangers with this ability in effect will incur less enmity for ranged attacks. There will be a chance that the ability remains in effect even after a ranged attack, depending on your position relative to your target.

Ranged Attack Adjustments
- Ranged attack enmity
Less enmity will be incurred the further away you are from the target of your ranged attacks.

- Detailed damage messages for ranged attacks
Damage messages displayed after a successful ranged attack will indicate the effectiveness of the attack, allowing for players to better gauge their positioning. Critical hit and missed attack messages will remain unchanged.

This concludes our preview of the adjustments scheduled for rangers in the upcoming version update.
Other jobs set to receive fine-tuning will be featured in the coming days, so keep your eyes glued to this space!


2 hour velocity shot! Camouflage used for occasions other than when I forget Invis!

http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics/ff11us/detail/4952/detail.html

Edited, Oct 14th 2009 11:37am by Sicklove
____________________________
When I'm good they never remember,
When I'm bad they never forget
#2 Oct 14 2009 at 5:39 AM Rating: Decent
Jack of All Trades
******
29,231 posts
Well, I can't call Camouflage the most useless JA in the game anymore.

Thanks a lot for forcing me to do some research and find a new contender, SE.
#3 Oct 14 2009 at 5:53 AM Rating: Default
Sage
Avatar
*
63 posts
I actually thought it was a joke until I saw the link :P

Not amazing but better than nothing
____________________________
Tykata of Fairy/Sylph Retired
Awaiting FFXIV impatiently
#4 Oct 14 2009 at 6:41 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,008 posts
I think it is a great addition because I am looking at it in a positive way.

My complaint was always that ranger had lots of potential (dd side of it) but was limited due to the amount of hate it generates.

I hope that the emnity down is powerful enough to allow us to sub warrior or samurai almost all the time while allowing us to eat ranged attack food.

I tried to eat ratt food, sub waarior and double attack songs in a colibri party once to see my potential but after one shot, I tanked the rest of battle. Our tank was a pld and he had no chance.

I am already super excited to see how much dmg I can do without being a pain to the rest of the party.
#5 Oct 14 2009 at 6:43 AM Rating: Decent
******
44,298 posts
SE wrote:
Rangers with this ability (Camouflage) in effect will incur less enmity for ranged attacks. There will be a chance that the ability remains in effect even after a ranged attack, depending on your position relative to your target.
Its like Trick Attack with arrows. And no second person.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#6 Oct 14 2009 at 7:05 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
805 posts
Fynlar wrote:
Well, I can't call Camouflage the most useless JA in the game anymore.

Thanks a lot for forcing me to do some research and find a new contender, SE.


Scavenge. There, just saved you some time.

I'm liking the changes. Nothing earth shattering but some great fine adjustments, especially for HNM hate management, that will really make a difference.
____________________________
Lokithor
Shiva Server
Linkshell: Soulfire
Rng/Blm/Thf/Brd/Dnc
#7 Oct 14 2009 at 8:17 AM Rating: Default
***
1,748 posts
Quote:
Its like Trick Attack with arrows. And no second person.


it is nothing like trick attack.
____________________________
BANNED
#8 Oct 14 2009 at 8:52 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,232 posts
So camouflage will now be popped before slugwinder/barrage/slugwinder and hope it lasts? :D

I suppose you couldn't quite do that given that activating /ja makes you un-invised, so it's probably used -> sharpshot / barrage / camo, shoot, hope it's still up and slugwinder.
#9 Oct 14 2009 at 9:11 AM Rating: Decent
*
198 posts
- Camouflage
Rangers with this ability in effect will incur less enmity for ranged attacks. There will be a chance that the ability remains in effect even after a ranged attack, depending on your position relative to your target.

I dont want to dig for the thread but this idea was posted here proably 3-4 months ago before last updates Notes, I think they troll.
____________________________
75 SAM / 75 RNG / 75 Nin / 75 Cor / 75 War
I got my endgame LS! http://homingmissile.wowultra.com/
#10 Oct 14 2009 at 9:35 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,793 posts
As has been said before, it's a nice update for us, nothing over the top (Wouldn't have minded some new JA to play with, but oh well), just helps us out here and there without pushing us too far.

The velocity shot thing isn't great, but I have to press my VS macro 23 less times in 2hrs, so woo.

And the enmity stuff is great for myself in einherjar, where I ended up tanking near the end on RNG/WAR. Fun as **** though
____________________________
Proud PUP of Phoenix.
Jobs: PUP COR RNG BLM NIN WHM 90
Member of Finale.
My Blog
#11 Oct 14 2009 at 9:49 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
977 posts
Oh man you guys are going to have so much fun with this update. I just wish I still had a PC right now so I could play with this stuff.

Less enmity on attacks, sounds to me at least like that's made of pure WIN!
____________________________
A drink. A drink. A drink.
#12 Oct 14 2009 at 10:16 AM Rating: Decent
7 posts
i like this update but seems like this will kinda ***** guns with distance from mob and emnity thing like they just focusing on bow users. hmm guess i can take my af body outa storage for enhance effect?
#13 Oct 14 2009 at 10:16 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,089 posts
Looks good, the only thing that truly concerns me is, if they are changing the duration of v.shot to 2 hours, lets hope they dont change the recast to 2 hours as well.
____________________________
Sir CorLeonisX: "Nah, SE will just declare it an exploit to fight him with jobs over 75 since it's not the "proper" way to kill it, and just ban us all instead."

Deadonarrival: "Dart as usual, your post is made of FAIL."
#14 Oct 14 2009 at 10:21 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,748 posts
Quote:
Looks good, the only thing that truly concerns me is, if they are changing the duration of v.shot to 2 hours, lets hope they dont change the recast to 2 hours as well.


now that woudl be dumb, but should be like the whm abilities.
____________________________
BANNED
#15 Oct 14 2009 at 10:44 AM Rating: Default
****
4,126 posts
Quote:
- Velocity Shot
The duration of this ability will be increased from five minutes to two hours.


Good, just don't touch the recast SE. Infact I wish they would lower the recast to like 1min but I doubt that's gonna happen. Not many situations where increasing the duration is really going to be beneficial. Just a few less macro presses.

Quote:
- Unlimited Shot
Once activated, this ability will remain in effect until you successfully hit your mark.


About **** time. I haven't lost a PPA or GMB ever but this is a win win addition, should have been done long ago.

Quote:
- Camouflage
Rangers with this ability in effect will incur less enmity for ranged attacks. There will be a chance that the ability remains in effect even after a ranged attack, depending on your position relative to your target.


Sidegrade to Stealth Shot, which I've only put 1 merit into. Just not that useful in my opinion.

Quote:
- Ranged attack enmity
Less enmity will be incurred the further away you are from the target of your ranged attacks.


Worthless.

O wait maybe those dense rangers standing in the back pulling the colibri away from the mellee won't slow down the party as much anymore or pull the big nasty HNM onto the mage/blm parties.

Quote:
- Detailed damage messages for ranged attacks
Damage messages displayed after a successful ranged attack will indicate the effectiveness of the attack, allowing for players to better gauge their positioning. Critical hit and missed attack messages will remain unchanged.


Would be nice to see an exact % of damage on our /ra but I know better.

"You are close to the sweet spot"
"You are very close to the sweet spot"

That's my geuss of what these wonderful display messages will tell us.


Opinion~

Crap update that's not that beneficial.


____________________________
[99] Smithing [60] Clothcraft [60] Woodworking [60] Leathercraft
[60] Alchemy [60] Cooking [60] Bonecraft [61] Goldsmithing [50] Synergy

#16 Oct 14 2009 at 10:58 AM Rating: Decent
Sage
*
77 posts
velocity shot needs to not wear off when zoning also....
____________________________
99BST, 99WAR, DRG99, THF99, DRK99, 99RNG, 99DNC, 99SAM, 99BLU, 75WHM, Sandy rank10, Windy rank10, Bastok rank10 http://www.ffxiah.com/player.php?id=475506
#17 Oct 14 2009 at 11:24 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
3,917 posts
Quote:
Worthless.

O wait maybe those dense rangers standing in the back pulling the colibri away from the mellee won't slow down the party as much anymore or pull the big nasty HNM onto the mage/blm parties.


This is going to all depend on the degree of -enm. if it is substantial then finally the RNG at the back is going to be a whole lot less "dense".

I assume SE is trying to address the "RNG's pull the mob away too much" complaint that keeps the job from being popular in much other than bad AoE fights. But it will need to be a massive -enm to make a difference and I can't see SE being that generous.

Quote:
Would be nice to see an exact % of damage on our /ra but I know better.

"You are close to the sweet spot"
"You are very close to the sweet spot"

That's my geuss of what these wonderful display messages will tell us.


I like Igneus suggestion:

Mirabelle's ranged attack hits the Greater Colibri for 180 damage.
It's super effective!

Pokemon reference ftw.


My opinion is:
1)I guess I'll be removing all my Velocity Shot macros and replacing them with Camouflage macros.
2) I'm figuring we'll realize after the first 2 fights that the -enm benefit of standing at distance is totally underwhelming and we're still pulling mobs away far too easily
3) I think I'll still find a way to lose my 3rd PPA

____________________________
Mirabelle
Race: Mithra
Server: Ifrit
75COR/75RDM/75RNG/45THF/37BLM/38WHM/37NIN/37DRK/41BLU/37DNC/37SAM/37WAR/37SCH
#18 Oct 14 2009 at 11:32 AM Rating: Good
lolgaxe wrote:
SE wrote:
Rangers with this ability (Camouflage) in effect will incur less enmity for ranged attacks. There will be a chance that the ability remains in effect even after a ranged attack, depending on your position relative to your target.
Its like Trick Attack with arrows. And no second person.


Yeah just like Trick Attack with arrows, no second person required, done far away from the mob, no boost to damage and no hate transfer. But other than that, yeah, just like Trick Attack.

Edited, Oct 14th 2009 12:33pm by VawnLakshmi
____________________________
Vawn (Rank 10 San d'Oria Bastok Windurst)
All jobs 75
Amanomurakumo

My 5-Box FFXI Setup (Pictures)
SoullessSoliders Adventures
#19 Oct 14 2009 at 11:36 AM Rating: Excellent
Deadonarrival wrote:

"You are close to the sweet spot"
"You are very close to the sweet spot"

That's my geuss of what these wonderful display messages will tell us.


Sounds like my wife if you add in "oh, you're done already?"
____________________________
Vawn (Rank 10 San d'Oria Bastok Windurst)
All jobs 75
Amanomurakumo

My 5-Box FFXI Setup (Pictures)
SoullessSoliders Adventures
#20 Oct 14 2009 at 12:27 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
805 posts
Deadonarrival wrote:

Quote:
- Ranged attack enmity
Less enmity will be incurred the further away you are from the target of your ranged attacks.


Worthless.

O wait maybe those dense rangers standing in the back pulling the colibri away from the mellee won't slow down the party as much anymore or pull the big nasty HNM onto the mage/blm parties.


Far from worthless. The focus of these adjustments (less enmity when further away, Camo having enmity down) will be great for HNM rangers, allowing your overall damage to go up. I've always found it ironic that I put max merits into snapshot (plus Barbut) only to slow my attacks down (or even worse, log) in order to manage hate on HNMs.

But, I guess there will be those (not saying you're one of them DOA) that will not like any adjustment that doesn't produce an immediate, visible epeen benefit. DOT is just so boring.
____________________________
Lokithor
Shiva Server
Linkshell: Soulfire
Rng/Blm/Thf/Brd/Dnc
#21 Oct 14 2009 at 12:52 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
19 posts
Exactly one reason I am hesitant about bringing RNG to events is having to walk the hate line. Either I am holding back too much and not being as effective as I could be on a frontline job, or I'm pulling hate and putting a giant spotlight on myself as I screwed up all the positioning and hate control the frontline worked to get setup.
____________________________
BANNED
#22 Oct 14 2009 at 1:12 PM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
*****
10,813 posts
shot notices obviously lift up people who don't/can't use distance plug-in, and enmity things help ranger in one of the places it shines most (high level mob fights, especially low man). good update, if the stuff works as intended and isn't too weak.
____________________________
pahn
retired monk

i wish to be the red comet.
#23 Oct 14 2009 at 1:35 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,917 posts
Quote:
and enmity things help ranger in one of the places it shines most (high level mob fights, especially low man)


Of course the argument could be made: "why help RNG with things it was already good at?"

It would be nice to help it with things it wasn't great at - meripo and levelling in general, Campaign, soloing, and a host of others.

Of course it will help many of those things if the -enm thing is sufficient. If not, it won't get people bringing RNG out to sky, dynamis, meripo in favor of standard frontline melees.
____________________________
Mirabelle
Race: Mithra
Server: Ifrit
75COR/75RDM/75RNG/45THF/37BLM/38WHM/37NIN/37DRK/41BLU/37DNC/37SAM/37WAR/37SCH
#24 Oct 14 2009 at 1:45 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
19 posts
Dartagnann wrote:
Of course the argument could be made: "why help RNG with things it was already good at?"

It would be nice to help it with things it wasn't great at - meripo and levelling in general, Campaign, soloing, and a host of others.


And you don't think lowering enmity helps with most of those?
____________________________
BANNED
#25 Oct 14 2009 at 2:05 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
3,917 posts
Quote:
And you don't think lowering enmity helps with most of those?


its a matter of degree. If a WS with Camouflage up and from a distance still pulls the NM or Colibri away from the frontliners, then it helps not at all. It doesn't matter if enmity sheds quickly after that since the mob has already moved and the frontliners have whiffed and had to move.

Might save the healer some MP but if a RNG is moving mobs, most would rather just see the RNG take a dirt nap from the mob.

So I can see how lowering enmity would help but it would have to be a drop of enmity to offensively low levels to keep the mob steady. I don't think SE is willing to do that.
____________________________
Mirabelle
Race: Mithra
Server: Ifrit
75COR/75RDM/75RNG/45THF/37BLM/38WHM/37NIN/37DRK/41BLU/37DNC/37SAM/37WAR/37SCH
#26 Oct 14 2009 at 2:24 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,416 posts
I'm not a RNG, but I'm going to throw something out there:

The way you guys are talking about the RNG update sounds almost exactly like the RDM forums between when Composure was announced, and when the update went live. Most of us (me included) thought "we waited all this time for THIS?!". Surely the recast penalty would murder the ability's potential, and the duration bonus would suck (+25% duration, anyone?). Thing is, SE seems to be in a candy-giving mood as far as Job Updates are concerned, so the enmity drop in the sweet spot might be astronomical (perhaps ignoring the normal -50 enmity cap?). Composure ended up being a wonderful ability, that's for sure, so I wouldn't give up hope just yet for RNG's update.

Really, DRG took over RNG's spot as the "most accurate DD" long ago, so it wouldn't be too mean for RNG to take over DRG's spot as "most hate-free DD", would it?
____________________________
Aliekber
RDM BLU SCH DRG PLD BLM NIN WHM
Linkshell: CrimsonMercenaries Server: Carbamesh

Sandinmygum the Stupendous wrote:
Human (?) females look ugly.
Post in /K/ where the orbital laser system is now online.
#27 Oct 14 2009 at 2:43 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,748 posts
Finally, I can solo worms and not worry about too much enmity.
____________________________
BANNED
#28 Oct 14 2009 at 3:31 PM Rating: Decent
**
316 posts
Darn my rng just turned 75, pity I did not get to use the updated abilities while lvl'ing. Personally, I love this Velocity Shot update (yeah it irks me when VS wears off just right when I hit WS macro, it happened more than once while lvl'ing). I wish they'd make Unlimited Shot ammo such as PPA like a boomerang in the update (I lost 3).

Hope enmity reduction with Camo and distance big enough that we don't have to hold back shooting or WS.
____________________________
Virtual Wandering
#29 Oct 14 2009 at 4:20 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
940 posts
Camouflage adjustment sounds nice, but sounds like it just made stealth shot kinda worthless
____________________________
I am the Ranger. I shoot the pointy things at the bad guys and they fall down.
RNG75 NIN75 RDM75 DRK75 PLD64 SAM52 WAR38 WHM38 DRG37 BLM37 SCH37 THF29 SMN22 MNK18 BST10 BLU6
#30 Oct 14 2009 at 6:30 PM Rating: Default
****
4,126 posts
yay my first sub default in years! <3!!!
____________________________
[99] Smithing [60] Clothcraft [60] Woodworking [60] Leathercraft
[60] Alchemy [60] Cooking [60] Bonecraft [61] Goldsmithing [50] Synergy

#31 Oct 14 2009 at 7:26 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,809 posts
im still disappointed in that theres no rnc acc buff added to velocity shot to complete the set.
#32 Oct 14 2009 at 9:48 PM Rating: Excellent
**
316 posts
Quote:
yay my first sub default in years! <3!!!



Hail to high enmity.

____________________________
Virtual Wandering
#33 Oct 14 2009 at 10:26 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,917 posts
Quote:
I wish they'd make Unlimited Shot ammo such as PPA like a boomerang in the update (I lost 3).


What they need to do is make it possible for RNG to shoot a PPA while under the effect of Unlimited Shot. After that it should give the empty ammo message on any further attempts if the PPA is still equipped.

This Unlimited Shot update will do nothing to stop people losing their PPA's when fatigued and not paying attention.
____________________________
Mirabelle
Race: Mithra
Server: Ifrit
75COR/75RDM/75RNG/45THF/37BLM/38WHM/37NIN/37DRK/41BLU/37DNC/37SAM/37WAR/37SCH
#34 Oct 15 2009 at 7:15 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,232 posts
Quote:
What they need to do is make it possible for RNG to shoot a PPA while under the effect of Unlimited Shot. After that it should give the empty ammo message on any further attempts if the PPA is still equipped.


Do you mean make it impossible to shoot PPA unless under the effect of PPA?

Even though it is more restrictive, I agree that I can't think of a strategic situation where you would want to do this--maybe if you were last man standing on AV with a sliver of health left. :P
#35 Oct 15 2009 at 8:54 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,080 posts
Quote:
Do you mean make it impossible to shoot PPA unless under the effect of Unlimited Shot?


Yeah, that's pretty much what the suggestion is. As in the ability to fire the arrow is a Latent Effect, activated by having Unlimited Shot active. Would save many, many horrible tears of frustration.
____________________________
When I'm good they never remember,
When I'm bad they never forget
#36 Oct 15 2009 at 9:58 AM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,252 posts
Quote:
Yeah, that's pretty much what the suggestion is. As in the ability to fire the arrow is a Latent Effect, activated by having Unlimited Shot active. Would save many, many horrible tears of frustration.


I actually like this idea. For someone who has been through 4 PPAs and 2 GMBs it would be most welcome XD.
____________________________
DNC: 90 THF: 90 RNG: Semi retired @90 RDM: Retired@75

lolblog: http://mithrasmemoirs.blogspot.com/
Elemental Magian Dagger Guide
Gearsets/etc
#37Aryden, Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 10:40 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) huh? maybe i'm missing something....again, but exactly how did DRG take over as the most accurate DD?
#38 Oct 15 2009 at 11:02 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,416 posts
Quote:
Quote:
Really, DRG took over RNG's spot as the "most accurate DD" long ago, so it wouldn't be too mean for RNG to take over DRG's spot as "most hate-free DD", would it?


huh? maybe i'm missing something....again, but exactly how did DRG take over as the most accurate DD?


2-Handed weapon user, A+ Ranked skill, 2 Accuracy Bonuses, WS that doesn't deliberately degrade their ACC.

On top of that, RNG's "Accuracy Bonus" (which iirc was ignoring level differences on Ranged Attacks) was removed (although RNG retains the Accuracy Bonus Job Traits), RNG's strongest WS is capped at 95% Hit Rate at best (due to being single hit), while Penta Thrust and Drakesbane both are multihit (capping at 99.99996875% Hit Rate and 99.999375% Hit Rate, respectively).

I'm not saying RNG is bad. I'm saying that, statistically, DRG is the most accurate DD.

Edit: fixed quotefail

Man, I've had to edit this like 10 times. Lesson: don't post until after the caffeine kicks in.

Edited, Oct 15th 2009 11:41am by Aliekber
____________________________
Aliekber
RDM BLU SCH DRG PLD BLM NIN WHM
Linkshell: CrimsonMercenaries Server: Carbamesh

Sandinmygum the Stupendous wrote:
Human (?) females look ugly.
Post in /K/ where the orbital laser system is now online.
#39 Oct 15 2009 at 11:30 AM Rating: Good
***
1,067 posts
Congrats to the active rangers!
Hopefully this will be a nice adjustment. God knows the rangers of FFXI have waited long enough!

I think it will turn out to be a case of "too little, too late" for me to re-activate my account.

It's interesting to see that SE has noticed rangers need something, but it still seems like they are unsure what exactly rangers that might be.

Personally I feel like rangers really need some improved gear. This coupled with the update might be able to coax me back to the game I gave up over a year ago.

We all know that "endgame" is all about collecting the best piece for each of the 16 slots. Each piece of gear makes the job very slightly more powerful, but the best gear combined with merits, make the character much better at their given job.

I haven't really found any significant gear upgrades for my ranger since sky and that was a very very long time ago.

Edited, Oct 15th 2009 11:01am by ANewbForever
____________________________
Daffney
RNG80
Elvaan Female
Garuda Server
Rank 9, San d'Oria
#40 Oct 15 2009 at 11:40 AM Rating: Decent
****
7,094 posts
Aliekber wrote:
On top of that, RNG's "Accuracy Bonus" (which iirc was ignoring level differences on Ranged Attacks) was removed (although RNG retains the Accuracy Bonus Job Traits), RNG's strongest WS is capped at 95% Hit Rate at best (due to being single hit), while Penta Thrust and Drakesbane both are multihit (capping at 0.9999996875% Hit Rate and 0.99999375% Hit Rate, respectively).

So both of DRG's best WS cap at less than 1% hit rate?
____________________________
Terraxia - RNG/COR/THF - Midgardsormr/Quetzalcoatl (boxed)
Viper Beam - ARC/CRP - Fabul
#41 Oct 15 2009 at 11:41 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,416 posts
redvenomweb wrote:
Aliekber wrote:
On top of that, RNG's "Accuracy Bonus" (which iirc was ignoring level differences on Ranged Attacks) was removed (although RNG retains the Accuracy Bonus Job Traits), RNG's strongest WS is capped at 95% Hit Rate at best (due to being single hit), while Penta Thrust and Drakesbane both are multihit (capping at 0.9999996875% Hit Rate and 0.99999375% Hit Rate, respectively).

So both of DRG's best WS cap at less than 1% hit rate?


I blame the caffiene (or lack thereof)!

Fixing...
____________________________
Aliekber
RDM BLU SCH DRG PLD BLM NIN WHM
Linkshell: CrimsonMercenaries Server: Carbamesh

Sandinmygum the Stupendous wrote:
Human (?) females look ugly.
Post in /K/ where the orbital laser system is now online.
#42 Oct 15 2009 at 12:28 PM Rating: Default
****
4,126 posts
yay #2!



____________________________
[99] Smithing [60] Clothcraft [60] Woodworking [60] Leathercraft
[60] Alchemy [60] Cooking [60] Bonecraft [61] Goldsmithing [50] Synergy

#43 Oct 15 2009 at 1:06 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,209 posts
Sicklove the Prophet wrote:
Quote:
Do you mean make it impossible to shoot PPA unless under the effect of Unlimited Shot?


Yeah, that's pretty much what the suggestion is. As in the ability to fire the arrow is a Latent Effect, activated by having Unlimited Shot active. Would save many, many horrible tears of frustration.

It helps, in a way, but doesn't necessarily secure. You still can lose the CP ammo.
You have your TP consumed if GMB/PPA Slugwinder missed. If you forgot to switch out the ammo after that, you still have chance to lose the ammo: i.e you don't swap out the ammo after the 1st connected shot, then you'll lose the ammo on next shot.

Aliekber wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Really, DRG took over RNG's spot as the "most accurate DD" long ago, so it wouldn't be too mean for RNG to take over DRG's spot as "most hate-free DD", would it?


huh? maybe i'm missing something....again, but exactly how did DRG take over as the most accurate DD?


2-Handed weapon user, A+ Ranked skill, 2 Accuracy Bonuses, WS that doesn't deliberately degrade their ACC.

Let me put some real numbers:
RNG Acc bonus IV: +48
DRG Acc bonus II: +30
It only takes +18acc to get the same number of acc as RNG. 80 total DEX is not hard to attain for Lv75 DRG. That's already 20 extra acc (compared to 1-hander or ranged) from 2 hander acc bonus.

milich wrote:
... good update, if the stuff works as intended and isn't too weak.

Which what I was saying on =10.
Of course, I doubt they will give RNG something close to Coronach-like effect

Edited, Oct 15th 2009 12:13pm by VZX
#44 Oct 15 2009 at 1:52 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
3,917 posts
Quote:
We're not good at meriting? WOW...
We're not good at campaign? WOW.. i die less than mnks/drks/drgs
We're not good at soloing?...Ok well i have to give that one to you, or you could actually use a machine xbow and have a blast pummelling things with darksteel + ascid bolts.


I have 3 75 jobs (RNG, RDM, COR). On two of those jobs I get an invite within minutes up putting up my flag for a meripo. On the other I can wait for hours just like every THF, PUP, DNC out there. All to go blow 50k on ammo if I do get a meripo party. Yes, we are not premium at meripo.

I also gain 2x as much xp in campaign on RDM as I can on RNG and don't waste any ammo. Even my COR gets xp faster in campaign and dies less thanks to joyeuse, /DNC and SAM and DNC rolls. A PLD, NIN and SAM with DNC subs will also outdo a RNG. We might do better than a MNK or DRK but only marginally.

I don't see how this update makes any of those things competitive with many other jobs.

____________________________
Mirabelle
Race: Mithra
Server: Ifrit
75COR/75RDM/75RNG/45THF/37BLM/38WHM/37NIN/37DRK/41BLU/37DNC/37SAM/37WAR/37SCH
#45 Oct 15 2009 at 2:41 PM Rating: Excellent
****
7,094 posts
VZX wrote:
Let me put some real numbers:
RNG Acc bonus IV: +48
DRG Acc bonus II: +30

Uhh, what?

Unless DRG's Accuracy Bonus II is completely different from every other 2nd-tier physical bonus (including RNG's Accuracy Bonus II), it should be +22.

+10
+22
+35
+48
____________________________
Terraxia - RNG/COR/THF - Midgardsormr/Quetzalcoatl (boxed)
Viper Beam - ARC/CRP - Fabul
#46 Oct 15 2009 at 3:52 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,089 posts
Quote:
I have 3 75 jobs (RNG, RDM, COR). On two of those jobs I get an invite within minutes up putting up my flag for a meripo. On the other I can wait for hours just like every THF, PUP, DNC out there. All to go blow 50k on ammo if I do get a meripo party. Yes, we are not premium at meripo.

I also gain 2x as much xp in campaign on RDM as I can on RNG and don't waste any ammo. Even my COR gets xp faster in campaign and dies less thanks to joyeuse, /DNC and SAM and DNC rolls. A PLD, NIN and SAM with DNC subs will also outdo a RNG. We might do better than a MNK or DRK but only marginally.

I don't see how this update makes any of those things competitive with many other jobs.


I'm sorry to hear that you dont get those invites, thats, something i dont have to worry about at the moment so i did not take that into account, merely referring to use in meripo.

As for campiagn battles, i was not comparing xp gained vs other jobs, i look at xp gained, death count, and addition to the fight that i do.do not give for comparison, which is not to say rng contributes more.
____________________________
Sir CorLeonisX: "Nah, SE will just declare it an exploit to fight him with jobs over 75 since it's not the "proper" way to kill it, and just ban us all instead."

Deadonarrival: "Dart as usual, your post is made of FAIL."
#47 Oct 15 2009 at 6:32 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,595 posts
Deboro wrote:
- Camouflage
Rangers with this ability in effect will incur less enmity for ranged attacks. There will be a chance that the ability remains in effect even after a ranged attack, depending on your position relative to your target.

I dont want to dig for the thread but this idea was posted here proably 3-4 months ago before last updates Notes, I think they troll.


I think you mean "lurk" not "troll" and I've been bringing up this idea for years. I got in a forum arguement with someone because they didn;t agree that Ranger should be able to reduce enmity and that the rangers role was "front like melee combat with some ranged attacks"

Oh well, I'm psyched. Now to see if it's actually a potent upgrade or a minor one.
____________________________


#48 Oct 15 2009 at 9:39 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,209 posts
redvenomweb wrote:
VZX wrote:
Let me put some real numbers:
RNG Acc bonus IV: +48
DRG Acc bonus II: +30

Uhh, what?

Unless DRG's Accuracy Bonus II is completely different from every other 2nd-tier physical bonus (including RNG's Accuracy Bonus II), it should be +22.

+10
+22
+35
+48

Yeah, thanks for the fix. No wonder I felt a bit weird when writing the numbers for that post.

Looks like half a year away makes my memory on numbers fade away.
But still, 26 acc extra will be attained with 104 DEX. (normal: 52 acc, 2hander: 78)

Edited, Oct 15th 2009 8:41pm by VZX
#49 Oct 15 2009 at 9:49 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,917 posts
Quote:
I'm sorry to hear that you dont get those invites, thats, something i dont have to worry about at the moment so i did not take that into account, merely referring to use in meripo.


Sadly most players are in the role of seeking for meripos. We don't all have similarly game addicted BRD and COR's at our beck and call.
Fortunately I do have 2 jobs that meripo well and can honestly say in the last 2 years I've seen exactly 2 RNG's in a meripo party.

Quote:
As for campiagn battles, i was not comparing xp gained vs other jobs, i look at xp gained, death count, and addition to the fight that i do.do not give for comparison, which is not to say rng contributes more.


The whole purpose of Campaign is to gain xp. Therefore a job that doesn't gain xp as well as others is not good at campaign. That was my original complaint. We are a job that does good damage against kited mobs and can hold out own in a zerg. We are not a top tier meripo, campaign or solo job.

____________________________
Mirabelle
Race: Mithra
Server: Ifrit
75COR/75RDM/75RNG/45THF/37BLM/38WHM/37NIN/37DRK/41BLU/37DNC/37SAM/37WAR/37SCH
#50 Oct 15 2009 at 11:22 PM Rating: Decent
****
7,094 posts
VZX wrote:
But still, 26 acc extra will be attained with 104 DEX. (normal: 52 acc, 2hander: 78)

I still don't think that's a fair comparison. Hume DRG/SAM has 65 base DEX; if you have 104 then you are certainly wearing heavy DEX gear (keep in mind that DRG cannot wear kittypants). I mean, full HQ Hecatomb is only DEX+24; DEX+39 is THF-SA-gearset country.

That being said, if you somehow manage to cram DEX+39 on to your DRG, you won't be wearing a **** of a lot of +ACC. Given that RNG has access to RACC gear that blows away any melee ACC set (RACC+100 is not particularly difficult), the only way that DRG can really touch RNG is with distance penalties.
____________________________
Terraxia - RNG/COR/THF - Midgardsormr/Quetzalcoatl (boxed)
Viper Beam - ARC/CRP - Fabul
#51 Oct 15 2009 at 11:49 PM Rating: Decent
Thief's Knife
*****
15,049 posts
Quote:
I hope that the emnity down is powerful enough to allow us to sub warrior or samurai almost all the time while allowing us to eat ranged attack food.


Assuming that the enmity reduction is enough to elevate RNG out of it's current outcast status that will also put Yoichinoyumi and Annihilator in the same category as Ragnarok. The only reason to use the ranged relic WS is reduced enmity. Without that they are only slightly better than the v-bow and Hellfire +1


Quote:

Ranged Attack Adjustments
- Ranged attack enmity
Less enmity will be incurred the further away you are from the target of your ranged attacks.


Because you will miss and thus gain less enmity.


Edited, Oct 16th 2009 3:02am by Lobivopis
____________________________
Final Fantasy XI 12-14-11 Update wrote:
Adjust the resolution of menus.
The main screen resolution for "FINAL FANTASY XI" is dependent on the "Overlay Graphics Resolution" setting.
If the Overlay Graphics Resolution is set higher than the Menu Resolution, menus will be automatically resized.


I thought of it first:

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?forum=10&mid=130073657654872218#20
« Previous 1 2 3 4
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 22 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (22)