Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

The D.R.K Club (FFXIV: Woes and Wonderments) Follow

#8152 Jul 15 2012 at 4:32 AM Rating: Good
Drunken English Bastard
*****
15,262 posts
Pewpew!
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#8153 Jul 16 2012 at 6:02 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
29,805 posts
Siralin wrote:
Dread Lörd Kaolian wrote:
/judgedread "I AM THE LAW!"

so, yeah. I'm going to post this picture instead:
Screenshot


I have one that's extremely similar...Any idea what could be wrong with a stuttering motor? The tail motor is vertically mounted to allow for angular shifts, but doesn't work entirely. :\ Just stuttering nonsense. I know it's getting some form of power and I've tried resoldering it to the board with no effect. Also checked the wire for any "breaks" but there doesn't seem to be any. It doesn't appear that it would be easy to replace either as the wire ends going into it aren't easily accessible. (Wires just lead into tiny holes on the smooth silver can shaped exterior of the motor)


It's quite possible the coils of the motor itself are worn out or the bearing is shot. Especially the microsized ones tend to heat over time and erode the wires. The smaller motors are essentially considered disposable, and they'll usually last abut 24 or so hours of actual operation time before they start breaking down. That being said, if thats for a tail motor, and you have hit anything with it at all, there is a chance you impacted the internal coil and tore something up inside. Easiest way to test would be to get a new motor. if it still doesn't work then its the logic board and you are buying a replacement board.

What make / model helicopter is it, or failing that, what size is the motor (lenght, width, etc), and how long is the tail boom.

Most of them come pre threaded in the tail boom, and you replace the whole unit for the smaller ones.

Given a vertical tail shaft and gears, you might also want to check the gear allignment and make sure the gear case isn't split at the bearing end enough to let the gear skip away from the other gear when power is applied.
____________________________
Arch Duke Kaolian Drachensborn, lvl 95 Ranger, Unrest Server
Tech support forum | FAQ (Support) | Mobile Zam: http://m.zam.com (Premium only)
Forum Rules
#8154 Jul 16 2012 at 11:07 PM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
*****
10,813 posts
Turin wrote:
Have I ever posted red head pics? I don't recall, and I'm entirely to lazy to go looking.


i definitely haven't.

i return from abyss to remind you all that redheads are not to be trusted. even objectifying them in pictures is putting yourself in danger.

and with that...
____________________________
pahn
retired monk

i wish to be the red comet.
#8155 Jul 17 2012 at 9:41 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
264 posts
... You wish to be the red comet.

Red comet
____________________________
Crasy of Alexander, Member of SplatRangers

Monk. Need I say more?

#8156 Jul 17 2012 at 9:43 AM Rating: Excellent
******
43,157 posts
I imagine that picture of her, instead of rising towards the hoop to slam one home, but as the part where she's descending, several inches away from the rim and then slamming belly-flop style into the ground.

Edited, Jul 17th 2012 11:44am by lolgaxe
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#8157 Jul 17 2012 at 5:44 PM Rating: Good
Drunken English Bastard
*****
15,262 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
I imagine that picture of her, instead of rising towards the hoop to slam one home, but as the part where she's descending, several inches away from the rim and then slamming belly-flop style into the ground.

Edited, Jul 17th 2012 11:44am by lolgaxe

That's the impression I got. Smiley: dubious
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#8158 Jul 18 2012 at 11:08 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
****
6,235 posts

:D
____________________________
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Airships on fire off the shoulder of Bahamut. I watched Scapula Beams glitter in the dark near the Three Mage Gate...

Nilatai wrote:
Vlorsutes wrote:
There's always...not trolling him?

You're new here, aren't you?
#8159 Jul 19 2012 at 7:57 AM Rating: Good
******
43,157 posts

:D
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#8160 Jul 19 2012 at 9:51 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
****
6,235 posts
I think maybe I'm stalking Jinte a little too hard. First I followed him around Windy, then he was walking to the Ru'Lude AH where I'd been afk for two hours and bolted the other direction when he saw me.
____________________________
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Airships on fire off the shoulder of Bahamut. I watched Scapula Beams glitter in the dark near the Three Mage Gate...

Nilatai wrote:
Vlorsutes wrote:
There's always...not trolling him?

You're new here, aren't you?
#8161 Jul 20 2012 at 4:39 AM Rating: Good
Drunken English Bastard
*****
15,262 posts
POIDH!
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#8162 Jul 21 2012 at 2:56 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
****
6,235 posts
Quote:
7/19/2012 5:43 AM PT Auburn, WA, US TENDERED TO USPS
7/20/2012 6:22 PM PT Sumner, WA, US ARRIVAL AT POST OFFICE


More than 36 hours to go seven miles, and people wonder why USPS is going bankrupt?
____________________________
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Airships on fire off the shoulder of Bahamut. I watched Scapula Beams glitter in the dark near the Three Mage Gate...

Nilatai wrote:
Vlorsutes wrote:
There's always...not trolling him?

You're new here, aren't you?
#8163 Jul 22 2012 at 11:20 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,959 posts
We don't get this kind of news. Your country's postal system going down the tube kinda passed by the rest of the world.

then again, I estimate you weren't all that au fait with the tuition fee protests a year and a half ago beyond the fact that "they happened"
____________________________
LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH
#8164 Jul 23 2012 at 6:06 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
****
6,235 posts
Quote:
18820: Duplus Grip Rare
Grip/Ammo/Jug/Pet Food/etc
"Double Attack"+3%
Lv99 All Jobs

It returns...
____________________________
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Airships on fire off the shoulder of Bahamut. I watched Scapula Beams glitter in the dark near the Three Mage Gate...

Nilatai wrote:
Vlorsutes wrote:
There's always...not trolling him?

You're new here, aren't you?
#8165 Jul 23 2012 at 6:28 PM Rating: Good
Drunken English Bastard
*****
15,262 posts
ERMAHGERD!

edit: Legion drop. That'll be expensive as f*ck for a few months then.

Edited, Jul 23rd 2012 8:28pm by Nilatai
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#8166 Jul 23 2012 at 7:44 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
778 posts
Raelix wrote:
Quote:
18820: Duplus Grip Rare
Grip/Ammo/Jug/Pet Food/etc
"Double Attack"+3%
Lv99 All Jobs

It returns...


do want
#8167 Jul 26 2012 at 2:50 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
****
6,235 posts
Search for 'Chaos baking guide'.

Find my own post in ye olde Chaos Tavern.

Repost time!

Khorne:
1: Prep a large baking pan by throwing it at someone.
2: Crack two eggs over a guardsman’s head.
3: Add milk, butter, sugar, chocolate, blood for the blood god, skulls for the skull throne, and baking soda
4: Mix until lumpy and misshapen.
5: Bake in daemon fire at 10,000 degrees for five minutes
6: slice and serve, do not wait for it to cool

Serves 12 weakling followers of the false emperor

Slaanesh:
1: Prep a small canyon
2: dump in 4,020,000 lbs. of chocolate, 700,300 eggs, 403,000 bottles of vanilla extract, 8,530,000 bags of flour, 2,750,000,000 sticks of butter, and 6,855,000 gallons of milk.
3: Mix 78,000 times
4: Bake planet at 2,000,000 degrees for one week
5: Have sex with seventeen people at once
6: let cool and ice with 487,000,000,000 cans of frosting

Serves 1

Nurgle:
1: Defecate in a large baking pan
2: Add rotten fruit and nuts
3: Let sit in a warm, damp, dark area for three weeks
4: Defecate in the pan again

Serves 6

Tzeentch:
1: Follow directions as stated on the box
2: Add nutmeg

Serves 2-4

Ork:
1: TAKE ONE O' DEM CHAOS BOYS CAKES
2: MAKE SURE IT AN'T FRUM DAT NURGLE GIT
3: ADD GUBBINS
4: FROST IT RED SO IT GOES FASTA
5: WAAAAAAAAAGH!

Serves DA MOB
____________________________
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Airships on fire off the shoulder of Bahamut. I watched Scapula Beams glitter in the dark near the Three Mage Gate...

Nilatai wrote:
Vlorsutes wrote:
There's always...not trolling him?

You're new here, aren't you?
#8168 Jul 29 2012 at 5:16 PM Rating: Good
Drunken English Bastard
*****
15,262 posts
I got the Game of Thrones game for 360. It's pretty good, actually.


Relevant hot redhead.
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#8169 Jul 29 2012 at 7:28 PM Rating: Decent
Keeper of the Shroud
*****
13,031 posts
I'm feeling the no internet blues too. A storm a few days a go fried my modem and the new one won't be here until Tuesday. Luckily The Witcher 2 is freaking awesome, it's been helping to take the edge off.
#8170 Jul 29 2012 at 8:11 PM Rating: Good
Drunken English Bastard
*****
15,262 posts
I have that. I need to get into it at some point. I've got a backlog of games though.
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#8171 Jul 29 2012 at 8:24 PM Rating: Decent
Keeper of the Shroud
*****
13,031 posts
Move it to the head of the list.
#8172 Jul 30 2012 at 5:45 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
****
6,235 posts
Huh. Learn something every day: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/irrumate
____________________________
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Airships on fire off the shoulder of Bahamut. I watched Scapula Beams glitter in the dark near the Three Mage Gate...

Nilatai wrote:
Vlorsutes wrote:
There's always...not trolling him?

You're new here, aren't you?
#8173 Jul 30 2012 at 10:46 PM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
*****
10,813 posts
Raelix wrote:
Huh. Learn something every day: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/irrumate


that is at least doubly appropriate as a GRE word. @#%^ing GRE. captain drunk monk perfect SAT score, magna cum laude here only got like 70th percentile on that @#%^ing demon verbal. god damn.
____________________________
pahn
retired monk

i wish to be the red comet.
#8174 Jul 30 2012 at 10:49 PM Rating: Good
Sage
****
5,684 posts
I think I would have done better on the verbal part if I had just guessed C for every question.

Missed one question on the Math portion... it keeps me awake at night sometimes.

The GRE has one of the few writing tests that I actually appreciated/enjoyed.
____________________________
Signature starts here.
#8175 Jul 30 2012 at 10:52 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
Avatar
*****
10,813 posts
xypin wrote:
I think I would have done better on the verbal part if I had just guessed C for every question.

Missed one question on the Math portion... it keeps me awake at night sometimes.

The GRE has one of the few writing tests that I actually appreciated/enjoyed.


yeah, the math was embarrassingly @#%^ing easy. i didn't get a perfect score on it, but i'm also "not a math guy".

as for the writing portion, i know the emotion i'm supposed to feel about this is shame/abasement and not pride, but i was actually angry at them for not giving me a perfect score. i'm not sure who i said this to, but when i found out i didn't get the maximum score, i (in full sincerity) opined that i should be grading them, not the other way around.
____________________________
pahn
retired monk

i wish to be the red comet.
#8176 Jul 31 2012 at 12:41 PM Rating: Good
***
3,959 posts
The hell's a GRE when it's at home?

EDIT: rate up for Pahn for using the word "opined"

Edited, Jul 31st 2012 2:43pm by Lucinus
____________________________
LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH
#8177 Jul 31 2012 at 1:19 PM Rating: Good
Drunken English Bastard
*****
15,262 posts
You need a reason to rate up a drunk Pahn post?
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#8178 Jul 31 2012 at 2:27 PM Rating: Good
***
3,959 posts
double

Edited, Jul 31st 2012 4:29pm by Lucinus
____________________________
LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH
#8179 Jul 31 2012 at 2:28 PM Rating: Good
***
3,959 posts
Inasmuch as I need a reason to rate it up and then publicly justify doing so, yes. Otherwise, Pahn could get drunk and be all sdfatfe dtdysde\RD GDFAHYWTSRADGHTRAYRE we BUTTS and so Regular Drunken Pahn would end up being no different from Intellectual Drunken Pahn. And that would be boring.
____________________________
LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH
#8180 Jul 31 2012 at 4:55 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
778 posts
I got a moogle suit!!
#8181 Jul 31 2012 at 5:22 PM Rating: Good
Drunken English Bastard
*****
15,262 posts
I just got a Speed Belt while getting my Wyrm Beard. Apparently this game loves me loads.
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#8182 Jul 31 2012 at 5:47 PM Rating: Decent
Keeper of the Shroud
*****
13,031 posts
...and new modem get. Comcast apparently decided it was cheaper to build a web setup page than to actually hire people to activate new modems, so I didn't even have to wait on hold.
#8183 Jul 31 2012 at 7:29 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
778 posts
#8184 Jul 31 2012 at 7:56 PM Rating: Decent
Keeper of the Shroud
*****
13,031 posts
Damnit, it looks like that storm killed my router too. Oh well, at least have internet on one machine.
#8185 Jul 31 2012 at 11:35 PM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
*****
10,813 posts
man, i accidentally all the beer that night.
____________________________
pahn
retired monk

i wish to be the red comet.
#8186 Jul 31 2012 at 11:45 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
****
6,235 posts
milich wrote:
man, i accidentally all the beer that night.

Something I'm careful not to do.
____________________________
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Airships on fire off the shoulder of Bahamut. I watched Scapula Beams glitter in the dark near the Three Mage Gate...

Nilatai wrote:
Vlorsutes wrote:
There's always...not trolling him?

You're new here, aren't you?
#8187 Aug 01 2012 at 11:44 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,327 posts
I STILL DONT HAVE INTERNET.

It's been about 2 months now without home internet provider. THEORETICALLY it should be next week.

Aside from that, I got a new phone today. Xperia S. So very smexy. I can finally tether internet too, so I have 2gb to play with until my internet arrives. Feelsgoodman.

WHAT GAMES SHOULD I DOWNLOAD ON NEW PHONE?! 1.5GHZ DUAL CORE PROCESSOR OMG. Also unusual app recommendations come at me, bro.

Also hi.
____________________________
drk = 80 sam = 76
pld = 79 thf= 80
nin = 80 drg = 75
mnk = 76 war = 52

Retired for now ^ Screw you Abyssea. FFXIV woo eh..
milich wrote:
buttfucking
#8188 Aug 01 2012 at 11:45 AM Rating: Good
***
3,959 posts
milich wrote:
man, i accidentally all the beer that night.

At this point I'm likely to reiterate my personal beer philosophy: I don't drink to enjoy a good drink and drink to get hammered at the same time, although it does accidentally happen from time to time (such as that time in Belgium when they had an offer on La Chouffe, which led to the only night in the history of Dynamis where I actually enjoyed it).

If I'm looking to enjoy a good drink, then of course out come the Belgians and the special glasses. I've still got my Augustijn glass in the cupboard.

If, on the other hand, I'm looking to get hammered, then the beer I drink has to be strictly middle-of-the-road, and strictly neither a Belgian nor a witbier (as I rather like witbier, or at least the two or three I've had). Going out to get hammered on good beer is a waste of good beer, and going out to get hammered on sh*t beer is a violation of my general standards, so "okay beer" fits the bill and does the job.
____________________________
LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH
#8189 Aug 01 2012 at 11:59 AM Rating: Good
******
43,157 posts
LordFaramir wrote:
I STILL DONT HAVE INTERNET.
I spent two days sleeping outside in the rain with nothing but a poncho and a sleeping bag to keep me alive, a night sleeping at an airport, and now in a room that could better be described as a shoe closet for midgets for the rest of the week till Monday. I have no fucks pity to give.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#8190 Aug 01 2012 at 11:19 PM Rating: Good
***
3,959 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
LordFaramir wrote:
I STILL DONT HAVE INTERNET.
I spent two days sleeping outside in the rain with nothing but a poncho and a sleeping bag to keep me alive, a night sleeping at an airport, and now in a room that could better be described as a shoe closet for midgets for the rest of the week till Monday. I have no fucks pity to give.

That's your own fault for being in the military Smiley: tongue
____________________________
LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH
#8191 Aug 02 2012 at 11:11 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
****
6,235 posts
If you chose an answer at random, what are your chances of getting this question right:

A) 25%
B) 50%
C) 0%
D) 25%
____________________________
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Airships on fire off the shoulder of Bahamut. I watched Scapula Beams glitter in the dark near the Three Mage Gate...

Nilatai wrote:
Vlorsutes wrote:
There's always...not trolling him?

You're new here, aren't you?
#8192 Aug 02 2012 at 11:51 AM Rating: Excellent
****
6,964 posts
I don't recall the answer he gave, but my math professor last semester drew out this matrix style chart to find the answer. Can't recall what he called the method of solving it though. :\
#8193 Aug 03 2012 at 10:37 AM Rating: Good
***
3,959 posts
Raelix wrote:
If you chose an answer at random, what are your chances of getting this question right:

A) 25%
B) 50%
C) 0%
D) 25%
That's a really interesting proposition -- are those percentages there the answers to the hypothetical question, or answers to the bigger question around it?

If the percentages are part of the question that the question's asking you about (whoa, meta!) then you have a 50% chance of being right if it's 25%, and a 25% chance of being right if it's either of 50% or 0%...

I'm actually really intrigued by this one now.
____________________________
LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH
#8194 Aug 03 2012 at 1:10 PM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
*****
10,813 posts
Raelix wrote:
If you chose an answer at random, what are your chances of getting this question right:

A) 25%
B) 50%
C) 0%
D) 25%


none of those answers would be correct. the % listed needs to match the % chance of picking it.

it can't be (A) 25%, because you have a 50% chance of choosing 25% (A).

it can't be (B), 50%, because you have a 25% chance of choosing 50%.

it can't be (C), 0%, because you have a 25% chance of choosing 0%.

it can't be (D), 25%, for the same reason it can't be (A).

---

creates a liar's paradox with (C), since you can't get it right, but (C) (AKA "you can't get it right") cannot be right.

for further reading,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6del%27s_incompleteness_theorems

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialetheism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraconsistent_logic

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/logic-paraconsistent/

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/self-reference/

---

notably, you could sort of call (C) above a godel sentence of some theory (whatever theory generates the question, i guess).

are you taking an intermediate logic class or something?
____________________________
pahn
retired monk

i wish to be the red comet.
#8195 Aug 03 2012 at 1:12 PM Rating: Good
******
43,157 posts
Ron Paul.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#8196 Aug 04 2012 at 12:52 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
****
6,235 posts
The original version I saw had C) 60%. It was simple enough to answer with '0%' then, since such specification would enable all random answers to be wrong, so I changed C to 0% to make it unanswerable.

This is me putting the proper mind@#%^ spin on a crappy Facebook meme.

No, I've never taken a logic class. Maybe I should.
____________________________
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Airships on fire off the shoulder of Bahamut. I watched Scapula Beams glitter in the dark near the Three Mage Gate...

Nilatai wrote:
Vlorsutes wrote:
There's always...not trolling him?

You're new here, aren't you?
#8197 Aug 04 2012 at 11:40 AM Rating: Good
***
3,959 posts
Clearly, the problem with my understanding lies in the wording of the question being weird and unclear.
____________________________
LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH
#8198 Aug 04 2012 at 2:00 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
****
6,235 posts
Lucinus wrote:
Clearly, the problem with my understanding lies in the wording of the question being weird and unclear.

Well that would be the point, but it's also just to make it impossible to answer. If you answer 25%, the chance is actually 50%. If you answer 50%, the chance is actually 25%. If you (in my version) answer 0%, the chance is 25% and you're still wrong. In the C) 60% version, if you answer 0% you're right because none of the answers are 0%.
____________________________
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Airships on fire off the shoulder of Bahamut. I watched Scapula Beams glitter in the dark near the Three Mage Gate...

Nilatai wrote:
Vlorsutes wrote:
There's always...not trolling him?

You're new here, aren't you?
#8199 Aug 05 2012 at 12:19 AM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
*****
10,813 posts
Raelix wrote:
Lucinus wrote:
Clearly, the problem with my understanding lies in the wording of the question being weird and unclear.

Well that would be the point, but it's also just to make it impossible to answer. If you answer 25%, the chance is actually 50%. If you answer 50%, the chance is actually 25%. If you (in my version) answer 0%, the chance is 25% and you're still wrong. In the C) 60% version, if you answer 0% you're right because none of the answers are 0%.


what's interesting is that you can't get it right, so one could argue that 0% is right. what this means is that there's a sentence that's true, but can't be asserted. the amazing consequence is that language cannot prove all of its true statements. one thing this means is that language is not (and cannot be) a perfect mirror of the world.

in other words, language cannot correspond to reality the way, say, code corresponds to the behavior of a computer. it's as if you had a syntax and semantics that

1) allowed you to form 5 commands, each with a unique result,
2) but the whole system had 6 possible results,
3) none of which correspond to any of the 5 commands, nor any combination of them,
4) but nonetheless all can be achieved on this "computer" (or turing machine, or whatever).

godel's incompleteness theorems (that sufficiently strong formal languages, for example arithmetic or even the most basic forms of classical logic, either can express truths that cannot be proven, or they can prove things that are in fact false) and the liar's paradox are interesting when you think about philosophy of language, but they're a real mind @#%^ if you bring the idea of turing machines / computers. if syntax and logic can invade the physical world in the form of programming, what about self-referentiality?

at least i think it's interesting. not interesting enough to study (i only care about language; i don't care about computers or metaphysics), but interesting.

----

oh, the reason i was going to respond: you should take a logic class (2 actually, since classical logic = should be required education for everyone, and intermediate logic--stuff like 2nd order logic, constructing formal languages via inductive definitions and proving sh*t about the natural numbers, godel's incompleteness theorem--gets to the meat).

it's especially interesting if you're interested in programming. you'll see why us logicians are so weirded out by programming... to me, programming always seems backward... instead of explaining, i'll just say that it should give you insight and trail off.

Edited, Aug 5th 2012 2:20am by milich
____________________________
pahn
retired monk

i wish to be the red comet.
#8200 Aug 05 2012 at 3:54 AM Rating: Good
***
3,959 posts
milich wrote:
classical logic = should be required education for everyone

As much as I'd like to agree, there are enough things that are required education for everyone, but of which a staggering number of people remain absolutely ignorant, either because they're thick or because they just don't want to listen (EDIT: however, I can settle for "required education for everyone in further or higher education").

On such a note, I'm actually rather pleased that I left teacher-training, as my stress levels have really gone down.

While I'm posting, I'd like to point out that my logic lecturer at uni was absolutely amazing when we did classical logic (although we did spend rather a long time on proof by contradiction), but I got rather wooshed by second-order stuff as I think he was rushing it to get it all in before the exams.

Edited, Aug 5th 2012 5:59am by Lucinus
____________________________
LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH
#8201 Aug 05 2012 at 3:55 AM Rating: Good
***
3,959 posts
double

Edited, Aug 5th 2012 5:55am by Lucinus
____________________________
LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 31 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (31)