Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Perle Armor and PaladinsFollow

#1 Jul 06 2010 at 9:08 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,429 posts
The Perle Hauberk Set

Any thoughts on this particular set of armor for Paladins? Will level into 3 pieces myself (originally purchased them as BST approached level 80) and considering buying the rest for PLD as the prices continue to decrease and the prospects for Homam Cosciales remain muddled.

Edited, Jul 6th 2010 10:12am by AriesMCMLXXIII
____________________________
Hayward: San d'Orian Elvaan Male. Cerberus Server.

*Current Project: Mog Garden*
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hayward Timberwolf | Limsa Lominsa | Adamantoise | Elezen Male

Main class: ACN50
Other classes: THM50|ARC50|CNJ39|GLA50|MRD50|PGL21|LNC35
DoH: CUL, Lv. 50|ARM, Lv. 50|GSM Lv. 50|CRP, Lv. 32
DoL: Miner, Lv. 50|Botanist Lv. 50|Fisher Lv. 46
Jobs Unlocked: SMN|BLM|SCH|PLD|WHM|BRD|WAR|DRG
#2 Jul 06 2010 at 9:41 AM Rating: Good
Sage
*
248 posts
For DDing its a good set for PLD. I think you would be hard pressed to put together a better 5 piece set of mismatched gear.
____________________________
Fisban Hume Male Ragnarok
FFXI Paladin Calculator Google Project


#3 Jul 06 2010 at 11:36 AM Rating: Decent
**
879 posts
Fisban wrote:
For DDing its a good set for PLD. I think you would be hard pressed to put together a better 5 piece set of mismatched gear.


Homam might disagree, but it is *much* harder to get.

Anyway, Perle is a pretty good set. It is almost equivalent to the "traditional" haste set for most melee (Walmart/Hauby/haidate), but it is possibile to be used by a couple of jobs whose only haste option was Homam.

In short: It is a very good DD set for PLD if you dont have acess to homam. If you do, then it depends on wich pieces you have avaliable.
____________________________
Khory

TybudX wrote:
The hardest part of this game is finding 5-17 other people who aren't retarded.
#4 Jul 06 2010 at 11:54 AM Rating: Good
Sage
*
248 posts
Homam
Defense +146
HP +127
MP +127
Accuracy +32
Ranged Accuracy +6
Magic Accuracy +4
Haste +12%
Enmity +3
Enhances "Triple Attack" effect
Enhances "Fast Cast" effect
Wyvern: HP +50

Perle
Defense +179
STR +22
DEX +14
VIT +10
Attack +25
Accuracy +18
Enmity +4
Haste +8%
"Critical hit rate" +2%
Set: Haste +5%

Pretty close if you ask me,I dont see Homam as a clear cut winner for exp DD TP setup, where you are not worried so much about HP and MP. With Perle you get +1 Haste, +22 Str, +214 Dex, +25 Attack, and - 7 Accuracy when compared to Homam.

However, for gear swaping macros homam is still king.

Worth getting, I think so.
____________________________
Fisban Hume Male Ragnarok
FFXI Paladin Calculator Google Project


#5 Jul 06 2010 at 1:38 PM Rating: Good
***
2,720 posts
I'm going to agree with Fisban when comparing full Homam to full Perle with one small typo correction: +214 Dex? I think you got a little trigger happy :). Full perle is really necessary to look at, since the set bonus is big. Enough so that it makes up for Turban by itself. So, let's consider a few other pieces.

Walahra/Haubergeon/Homam x3
Defense +116
HP +126
MP +107
Accuracy +23
Haste +14%
Enmity +3
STR +5
DEX +5
Attack +10

Perle
Defense +179
STR +22
DEX +14
VIT +10
Attack +25
Accuracy +18
Enmity +4
Haste +8%+9%
"Critical hit rate" +2%
Set: Haste +5%

So, the big question here is +15 Attack, +17 STR, +9 DEX, +2 Crit, +1 Enmity worth giving up 126 HP, 107 MP, .5 Accuracy, and 1 Haste?

Enmity is a wash. 1 enmity won't make any difference (rounding issues) and does nothing for damage dealt, so we'll ignore it completely. You should be macroing in OTHER pieces for enmity when necessary, anyway.

+17 STR is roughly an fstr increase of 4 with a 25% chance of going up to 5. This may or may not be worth while, depending on the rank of the weapon. Consider Joyeuse. Damage 35 is a rank 3 weapon. It's lower cap is -3 and it's max cap is 11. With enough other strength gear, it's possible to force a max fSTR on our weapons. We shouldn't, as no knowledgeable DD gears with JUST STR, but it's something to consider.

Accuracy between the two sets is just about even. The +9 dex is +4.5 accuracy, giving a slight lead to the Homam/Walahra/Hauby set.

+15 attack plays the same a similar role as STR, but with smaller dividends. It'll help us improve our damage, but not hugely. You won't be hitting for a lot more damage over time.

+2 Crit will be barely noticeable. Most people don't notice the merits - this doesn't even provide that big of a boost.

The haste bonus is actually in the Hauby/Walahra/Homam mix. It's a 1% difference, but we know how effective haste is.The haste bonus is the same, meaning that the set with the better additional stats will win.

Honestly, the Perle set will DD a little ahead of the Mix/match set. But, it gives up 1% haste to truly do so. It also gives up on 126 hp and 107 mp. The MP is less of an issue - max mp only matters when you can start a fight or rest to full - but the HP is a bigger issue due to the CE blood loss. One way of looking at CE blood loss is 1800*(damage/max hp). Another way is (1800/max hp)*damage. It's easier to see this second way that dropping hp by 126 can be significant and will increase that CE drain a lot. Since CE is lost off max hp, the gear is helping you regardless of if you are at max hp or not.

My gut impression is to get both. I'll be using the Perle set on DRG, anyway, as it gets closer to 80, so I'll have the pieces. However, the match is really close. The Perle set sure looks like a VERY good WS set for Vorpals. Too bad Atonement doesn't benefit from the stats on it.

Edited, Jul 12th 2010 9:17am by Dracoth
____________________________
Leviathan - PLD90, BLU90, MNK 90, DRG 78
#6 Jul 06 2010 at 1:59 PM Rating: Decent
**
879 posts
Like i said, "Homam might disagree, but it is *much* harder to get"

So, from the more in-depth analysis above, what we can say is that perle is almost equal Homam for DD. That is quite superior to anything else.
____________________________
Khory

TybudX wrote:
The hardest part of this game is finding 5-17 other people who aren't retarded.
#7 Jul 06 2010 at 2:01 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,720 posts
Homam as a whole set is strictly worse than Perle. It's the mix/match that pulls ahead. I think that's what you're trying to say, but I want to make sure it's said.

I should point out that Hauby +1 shortens the gap a little, as well, but a PLD in full Perle isn't doing it wrong. Funny that they finally give a set worth wearing the full set of full timing...

Edited, Jul 6th 2010 3:08pm by Dracoth
____________________________
Leviathan - PLD90, BLU90, MNK 90, DRG 78
#8 Jul 06 2010 at 2:50 PM Rating: Good
**
879 posts
Yeah, thats what i meant - The mix match homam set. Thats the true homam set, to be honest. Full homam is one of those things that makes you want to band your head against a wall.

Full timing perle? Didnt you meant wearing the full set? Because no set is worth full timing - you will want different pieces for enmity, WS, etc...

And now we are on a battle of nitpicking!
____________________________
Khory

TybudX wrote:
The hardest part of this game is finding 5-17 other people who aren't retarded.
#9 Jul 06 2010 at 3:18 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,720 posts
Yeah, I don't know why I said it that way. I was referring to using all of the set...

And, yes, I figured that's what you meant - it just didn't read that way, so I wanted to make sure people could figure out what was being said.

Only to make mine worse...
____________________________
Leviathan - PLD90, BLU90, MNK 90, DRG 78
#10 Jul 06 2010 at 5:20 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
85 posts
For those who can not get or do not have access to Homam the Perle set is a very good all around set for Paladin. However one starts to run into problems with gear swapping since part of the value of Perle comes from the set bonus (in this case 5% haste) and would therefore render this set much less effective if pieces are constantly being swapped out. Without the set bonus there are much better options. For example walahra turban, haubergen, dusk gloves and feet and a leg piece with +haste on it would be better.
____________________________
No matter what level you are there's a rabbit that can kill you
80 Alchemy 29 Smithing 24 Goldsmithing 10 Cooking
Guild Items: Concoction, Iatrochemistry, Trituration, Anima Synthesis
#11 Jul 06 2010 at 6:05 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,720 posts
kamisenken wrote:
For those who can not get or do not have access to Homam the Perle set is a very good all around set for Paladin. However one starts to run into problems with gear swapping since part of the value of Perle comes from the set bonus (in this case 5% haste) and would therefore render this set much less effective if pieces are constantly being swapped out. Without the set bonus there are much better options. For example walahra turban, haubergen, dusk gloves and feet and a leg piece with +haste on it would be better.


I've already given a setup that has more haste than Perle. I agree that Perle is only really useful as a full set. However, it's easy to attain. You shouldn't be wearing it as your haste set and it's definitely NOT an enmity set, but you SHOULD be wearing it to TP in, if it's the route you choose to go.

Edit: With the change in head haste%, the first sentence is wrong.

Edited, Jul 12th 2010 9:19am by Dracoth
____________________________
Leviathan - PLD90, BLU90, MNK 90, DRG 78
#12 Jul 06 2010 at 11:26 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,809 posts
i quit my limbus shell a few months ago due to some bs crap so the perle pants makes a great alternative to homam pants. its gonna be so un fashionable with homam shoes on.
#13 Jul 07 2010 at 12:18 AM Rating: Good
Guru
Avatar
**
937 posts
I'm working on the full set because it makes me look like a panda taru.
____________________________
Tijet - Rank 10 Windurst
PLD99 SCH99 DRG80 SMN81
Server: Lakshmi
#14 Jul 12 2010 at 8:56 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,147 posts
It has been found that the 2% haste on the head is a mistranslation. It is actually 3%, putting the haste of full perle exactly matching the mix and match haste with homam. You can see this by viewing the JP ffxiah page for the head piece and by doing some recast testing.
#15 Jul 12 2010 at 9:15 AM Rating: Good
***
2,720 posts
That skews things even more in Perle's favor then. Thanks for the tip.

Basically, it's a difference in +HP/+MP and .5 Accuracy vs. the STR, DEX, Crit, Attack, and Enmity... +HP/+MP are beneficial, but are secondary. Increasing fSTR, crit rate, and ensuring we don't hit for 0's REALLY puts Perle ahead of my initial mix/match set.

That actually puts Perle in a much greater category than the Mix/Match set I provided. Hauby +1 evens things out (and can be viewed in a similar light to my earlier analysis), and there's other good pieces that can up the mix/match set, but with the ease that Perle can be acquired, we've basically found the new default DD set (unless you have a lot of the other mix/match pieces already).
____________________________
Leviathan - PLD90, BLU90, MNK 90, DRG 78
#16 Jul 12 2010 at 9:51 AM Rating: Good
***
1,147 posts
With the price on perle though, I would consider it a worthwhile upgrade or situational side grade even if you already have all of the other pieces. Unfortunately, you'll still have to carry around the homam gear for casting flash and shadows though.
#17 Jul 12 2010 at 11:47 AM Rating: Good
**
879 posts
darnimsexy wrote:
With the price on perle though, I would consider it a worthwhile upgrade or situational side grade even if you already have all of the other pieces. Unfortunately, you'll still have to carry around the homam gear for casting flash and shadows though.


With how hard cruor is to gain, Perle should drop down to ~10k a piece in a couple months.
____________________________
Khory

TybudX wrote:
The hardest part of this game is finding 5-17 other people who aren't retarded.
#18 Jul 12 2010 at 2:04 PM Rating: Good
***
2,720 posts
Cost wise, I agree. Perle is a very good set and well worth the 100k people are STILL paying for a piece of it. The Hauby +1 narrows the gap quite a bit for PLD and is available 19 levels earlier - thus, it still has a place. Hauby is still king for XP in the 59-78 range and I'd still expect a PLD to have it while leveling up, but the full Perle set is really beginning to outpace its competition. There are still REALLY good mix/match sets out there, but due to cost vs. benefit, I'd expect most PLDs to have Perle come 78.
____________________________
Leviathan - PLD90, BLU90, MNK 90, DRG 78
#19 Jul 13 2010 at 6:40 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,464 posts
TheKhory wrote:
With how hard cruor is to gain, Perle should drop down to ~10k a piece in a couple months.


It'll be sooner than that really.

The set is great overall for DDing considering the incredibly spread of stats. With the haste being actually 14% overall, it definitely beats a vanilla Homam x3/Walahra/Haubergeon. a Haub +1 helps a bit more but I still think the Perle has it beat.

Been using it for my misc junk on PLD recently and with a WHM sub (hurray for Haste), it feels like I'm on turbo heh.
#20 Jul 13 2010 at 8:39 PM Rating: Good
***
2,720 posts
Shouta wrote:
a Haub +1 helps a bit more but I still think the Perle has it beat.


If you need to cap accuracy, Haub +1 will beat Perle. But, you have to be around 85-90% for that to be the case. I'll have hard numbers some year in the future.
____________________________
Leviathan - PLD90, BLU90, MNK 90, DRG 78
#21 Jul 13 2010 at 11:16 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,464 posts
Dracoth wrote:
If you need to cap accuracy, Haub +1 will beat Perle. But, you have to be around 85-90% for that to be the case. I'll have hard numbers some year in the future.


Well, taking the stats you posted and adjusting for the Haub +1 (only relevant DD stats)

Walahra/Haubergeon +1/Homam x3
Accuracy +25 (+3 from DEX)
Haste +14%
STR +6
DEX +6
Attack +12 (+3 from STR)

Perle
STR +22
DEX +14
Attack +25 (+11 from ATK)
Accuracy +18 (+7 from DEX)
Haste +9% (assuming Salade information is correct)
"Critical hit rate" +2%
Set: Haste +5%

Difference would be:

Walahra/Haubergeon +1/Homam x3

Accu +3

Perle

STR +16
DEX +8
ATK +19
Critical Rate +2%

That's kind of lopsided looking purely at the stats to me. Plus, PLDs that would be DDing wouldn't have a problem with accu as much as they would attack (because we have fewer pieces with ATK on it) IMO.
#22 Jul 14 2010 at 9:25 AM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,280 posts
Shouta wrote:
Dracoth wrote:
If you need to cap accuracy, Haub +1 will beat Perle. But, you have to be around 85-90% for that to be the case. I'll have hard numbers some year in the future.


Well, taking the stats you posted and adjusting for the Haub +1 (only relevant DD stats)

Walahra/Haubergeon +1/Homam x3
Accuracy +25 (+3 from DEX)
Haste +14%
STR +6
DEX +6
Attack +12 (+3 from STR)

Perle
STR +22
DEX +14
Attack +25 (+11 from ATK)
Accuracy +18 (+7 from DEX)
Haste +9% (assuming Salade information is correct)
"Critical hit rate" +2%
Set: Haste +5%

Difference would be:

Walahra/Haubergeon +1/Homam x3

Accu +3

Perle

STR +16
DEX +8
ATK +19
Critical Rate +2%

That's kind of lopsided looking purely at the stats to me. Plus, PLDs that would be DDing wouldn't have a problem with accu as much as they would attack (because we have fewer pieces with ATK on it) IMO.


I think that you are unwisely ignoring the +~100 hp/mp that you will get from homam, which is significant if you are in a tanking situation.
#23 Jul 14 2010 at 10:31 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,147 posts
Quote:
I think that you are unwisely ignoring the +~100 hp/mp that you will get from homam, which is significant if you are in a tanking situation.

The mp is only really significant in short burst tanking situations, or situations where your primary mp recovery comes from chivalry. Any long fights and your ability to recover mp is substantially more important.

Also keep in mind that if mp is your big concern, then nothing is stopping you from using homam until you have used up that 100 then swapping to perle.
#24 Jul 14 2010 at 5:33 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,464 posts
Meldi wrote:
I think that you are unwisely ignoring the +~100 hp/mp that you will get from homam, which is significant if you are in a tanking situation.


I wrote that I only included the stats relevant to a damage dealing role not a tanking one.
#25 Jul 17 2010 at 8:43 PM Rating: Good
Guru
Avatar
**
937 posts
Something positive about Perle that I've noticed is that it makes it easier to make a cure cheat macro if you're TPing in some (or all) of the pieces.
____________________________
Tijet - Rank 10 Windurst
PLD99 SCH99 DRG80 SMN81
Server: Lakshmi
#26 Jul 22 2010 at 7:04 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,890 posts
Why would you be TPing in Homam pants over Perle anyway? The proper comparison should be W.Turba(Askar)/Hauby/Homanx2/Perle legs vs full Perle. Although the STR on full Perle set is awesome for 1H / DW setups.
____________________________
RoTZ: Complete DM: O
CoP: Complete AN: O
99 SAM, RDM, BLU, WAR, PLD, DRK

lolgaxe wrote:
Nothing in this game is impossible if you set yourself to the task of actually doing it. Even dumb people can only hold you back for so long.


Lucinus wrote:
when you're hefting something that deadly, you don't miss - mobs get the @#%^ out of the way instead...
#27Tyjet, Posted: Jul 26 2010 at 11:36 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) After multiple attempts of using the full Perle set, I've pretty much learned the hard way that my PLD has no use for any of the pieces except for the legs (and possibly the body).
#28 Jul 26 2010 at 1:47 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,720 posts
How exactly did you come to that conclusion? Are you not able to take advantage of what's given or what? I'm curious, because on paper, the Perle set kicks the mixed Homam set to the curb. I'm really curious why you say it's not working out. I've only noticed an increase in damage from the PLD we have who switched to Perle and is easily trumping his previous gear.

I'm still 77 - haven't brought my PLD to an Abyssea run yet; that's coming tonight)
____________________________
Leviathan - PLD90, BLU90, MNK 90, DRG 78
#29 Jul 28 2010 at 11:24 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
214 posts
Dracoth wrote:
How exactly did you come to that conclusion? Are you not able to take advantage of what's given or what? I'm curious, because on paper, the Perle set kicks the mixed Homam set to the curb.


For pure DD setup it's an upgrade though I'm not convinced it is a "kicks the mixed Homam set to the curb" upgrade. For tanking setup the HP/MP loss I don't think is worth it. In the end you will still need to carry W Turban, Homam hands, legs and maybe feet also for your haste sets to max out timers anyway. To me it almost comes down to more of an inventory issue vs how much of an improvement carrying the set will grant.
____________________________
Brytor - Sylph
LS: Legion of Altana
90 PLD, BLM, RDM, WHM, SMN, DRK

#30 Jul 28 2010 at 12:13 PM Rating: Good
***
2,720 posts
W. Turba/Homam Hands/Legs/Feet give the same haste as full Perle. That's a wash, as it is. W. Turban/Homam Hands/Feet/Perle legs have about the same (higher haste, lower fast cast, so it's about a wash). Perle is one set as opposed to a bunch of pieces, so it'll win that argument, too.

If you're using shadows, the Max HP makes much less of a difference. You'll still lose hate anyway when you're hit, and more of it with Perle than Homam, but you're looking at a very small difference. The extra 100 hp is only going to net roughly 5.5% decrease in enmity lost, meaning that if you take 100 damage, you'll lose 5 less CE under Homam then Perle. Hardly something to worry about.

Max MP only matters at the start of a fight. If you're ever sitting on max MP after that point, you're wasting your potential.

The biggest reason to have both Homam AND Perle is because it builds the PERFECT HP cure cheat macro set. Switch to homam, cure, switch back to Perle. Build CE and VE at the same time while also having good DD stats either way in case you swing before the macros kick in.

I should point out that the above argument for HP is when you're primarily /NIN. If you're /WAR or /DNC, the extra 100 hp will make more of a difference. I'll still probably default to Perle, but that's just me.
____________________________
Leviathan - PLD90, BLU90, MNK 90, DRG 78
#31 Aug 21 2010 at 4:47 PM Rating: Good
Guru
Avatar
**
937 posts
Dracoth wrote:
How exactly did you come to that conclusion? Are you not able to take advantage of what's given or what? I'm curious, because on paper, the Perle set kicks the mixed Homam set to the curb. I'm really curious why you say it's not working out. I've only noticed an increase in damage from the PLD we have who switched to Perle and is easily trumping his previous gear.

I'm still 77 - haven't brought my PLD to an Abyssea run yet; that's coming tonight)
I've parsed myself several times in different situations and my accuracy rating dropped in comparison to my mix of Homam and other gear. So, for TP purposes, I mix and match pieces of Perle and Homam.
____________________________
Tijet - Rank 10 Windurst
PLD99 SCH99 DRG80 SMN81
Server: Lakshmi
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 14 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (14)