Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

A Shantotto Ascension AugmentsFollow

#1 Oct 29 2009 at 7:25 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
42 posts
Seems the Augment stats have been released. Near as I can tell the following look intresting:

- HP +25 ENM +4
- Haste +3%
- Physical damage taken -4%
- Accuracy +7

Now we can start deciding what we want to make of this peice. Decisions, decisions...
____________________________
Drakyl from Pheonix Server
Main PLD 75
BLU 75
RDM 75

People beleive what they want to beleive or what they fear is the truth.
~From book: Wizard's first rule by Terry Goodkind
#2 Oct 29 2009 at 8:37 AM Rating: Good
***
1,147 posts
HP+25 & enmity+4 paired with cure potency +5% will make for a phenomenal cure macro piece.
#3 Oct 29 2009 at 10:15 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
354 posts
darnimsexy wrote:
HP+25 & enmity+4 paired with cure potency +5% will make for a phenomenal cure macro piece.


Other possibilities that come to mind are:
-Marginally better TP piece than Homam (+4 acc): bleh -- but a nice holdover until you get Homam

-Vorpal Blade piece (7acc/7atk): bleh -- Aurum legs are pretty cheap

-Boss bloodtanking "idle" piece (-4% PDT and whatever else): bleh

-Baby WLegs kiting piece (+8% movement speed, HP): People without WLegs will definitely get excited about this. I kind of wish it wasn't here, I don't have WLegs yet but kinda makes me QQ to see such a unique piece a little less unique.

So yeah, curing macro piece is probably what I'll go with.
____________________________
Raynael - PLD of Sylph - Retired, June 2010
#4 Oct 29 2009 at 10:26 AM Rating: Good
**
712 posts
Can also make it for flash, 3 haste + 4 enmity, provided that you use Nuevo for flashes anyhow, and have swift/3/5homam, that means you wouldnt need the fast cast on homam to cap out your recast timers provided that you only need 15%(if you need more, dont stop using homam, its like byakko pants for spells).

Nuevo - ~2.5%
Homam H - 3%
S.Legs - 3%
Swift belt - 4%
Homam F -3%
= 15%
If you have V.belt you can toss on IR body instead.
____________________________
SERVER: IFRIT
WHM/BRD: Triangulum
PLD
MNK
SAM
BLM
DRK

#5 Oct 29 2009 at 5:00 PM Rating: Good
***
2,151 posts
I was thinking about a Cure macro piece... which is pretty sad for PLD.

Looks like one of my other jobs is going to win out for this piece (Looking like BLM at the moment)
____________________________
Equivocator: 75 PLD.
99.4 Fishing, 100+3 Woodworking.
60 Alchemy, 60 Smithing, 60 Clothcraft, 60 Cooking, 60 LeatherCraft, 60 Bonecraft, 60 Gold.
Lu Shangs Rod: O

Beast Masters Unite. (Duo Camps)
#6 Oct 29 2009 at 5:12 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
743 posts
I'm thinking the HP+25 Enmity+4, Movement Speed +8% would be a pretty sweet alternative to Crimson Cuisses if you don't own them.
____________________________
Retired

10,000 Pages wrote:
Kaolian is become death; destroyer of all fun and good times.

Johnny Cash wrote:
Faith, it's like a flower of light in a field of darkness giving me the strength to carry on.
#7 Oct 29 2009 at 7:58 PM Rating: Decent
*
87 posts
Is the "Double Attack" not worth considering?
____________________________
Stormwynd - Shiva
75 PLD, 75 SAM
LS - Logical Conclusion
#8 Oct 29 2009 at 8:11 PM Rating: Good
***
2,151 posts
When compared to ACC+7 or Haste+3%, Yes. It's not worth concidering.
____________________________
Equivocator: 75 PLD.
99.4 Fishing, 100+3 Woodworking.
60 Alchemy, 60 Smithing, 60 Clothcraft, 60 Cooking, 60 LeatherCraft, 60 Bonecraft, 60 Gold.
Lu Shangs Rod: O

Beast Masters Unite. (Duo Camps)
#9 Oct 30 2009 at 12:24 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,154 posts
The only stats on this worth getting for paladin is the enmity and the cure potency.

The 5% cure potency with an extra 4 enmity attached will provide better hate than trying to use the haste + enmity for a flash piece.

-4% physical damage is **** considering you can get -3% from a low level AH piece.

Wasting this piece for only 4 acc on the legs while still having to lug around your homam legs for the fast cast (assuming you have them, and even if you don't you'll still want them regardless eventually rendering this piece obsolete unless you want inv +1 for just 4 acc which I don't know about anyone else I ******* don't have the room for).
#10 Oct 30 2009 at 7:26 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
996 posts
Asdrabael wrote:
The only stats on this worth getting for paladin is the enmity and the cure potency.

The 5% cure potency with an extra 4 enmity attached will provide better hate than trying to use the haste + enmity for a flash piece.

-4% physical damage is sh*t considering you can get -3% from a low level AH piece.

Wasting this piece for only 4 acc on the legs while still having to lug around your homam legs for the fast cast (assuming you have them, and even if you don't you'll still want them regardless eventually rendering this piece obsolete unless you want inv +1 for just 4 acc which I don't know about anyone else I @#%^ing don't have the room for).



While i agree its inv -1, you can do what i am planning, which is get the acc and haste, then dump it once I get homan and request for another job.


____________________________
Arcari wrote:
It's the animation. All Drakesbane does is poke a mob and make lights appear. Ukko's Fury smashes a hole through existence itself to damage an opponent.

#11 Oct 30 2009 at 8:33 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,264 posts
I'm kinda into the PDT and HP + Enmity augment, although the Cure Potency is tempting.

I find myself more concerned with staying alive than holding hate, and I can't gauge if the increased curing or the decreased damage taken will do more for me in the long run. (No, my healers don't suck, but holding hate it easy so my main concerns are speeding up the fights and reducing my damage taken)
____________________________
Furionstormrage of Cerberus - PLD/WAR/RDM/NIN/WHM/DRK
PLD Equipment Guide
There's nothing more exhilarating than pointing out the shortcomings of others, is there?
Ukonvasara, Hydra Haubert, Ares's Cuirass, Ebody, all thanks to awesome friends!
#12 Oct 30 2009 at 2:23 PM Rating: Good
***
1,111 posts
As a none-homam owning Paladin (and Drg!) I am deffinately getting the Haste enchant for one, but still debating on what to get for the second. Id like to gear my Paladin first before my Drg so will focus on that, but if what I can create will help both all the better.

I was initially thinking Haste and PDT but since the haste stuff is really useful when nin tanking, the PDT aspect of the pants will go largely unused and, as someone mentioned theres nothing stopping macroing in some darksteel for ******** moments? Acc+7 could be nice, but since my Drg is largely hitcapped and for Paladin I dont think it weighs up next to the EMN+4, Move+8% or Cure Potency.

I havent done any end-game, so my options currently equipment wise are gotten from low man NMs and events (like Nyzul) and the AH. I already have IR Legs so I could effectively make a version of them with Haste added which would be nice, but I doubt Ill ever see any other moment speed or cure potency gear for legs.

Any suggestions? Im all ears :)
____________________________
To endanger the soul endangers all,
when the soul is endangered it must become a Warrior.
#13 Oct 30 2009 at 2:35 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,264 posts
If you don't have Homam, I'd pick Haste and ACC over Haste and Cure Potency.

Even if your DRG is capped on ACC, your PLD isn't, not on anything above a VT or so. If you have Atonement, a 3% increase to your ACC is huge. Even if you don't have Atonement, Chivalry is awesome and you have to have TP to use it.

Just my thoughts.
____________________________
Furionstormrage of Cerberus - PLD/WAR/RDM/NIN/WHM/DRK
PLD Equipment Guide
There's nothing more exhilarating than pointing out the shortcomings of others, is there?
Ukonvasara, Hydra Haubert, Ares's Cuirass, Ebody, all thanks to awesome friends!
#14 Oct 30 2009 at 3:12 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
743 posts
You know thinking about this some more another possibility would be to use this as a WS option for Vorpal with Acc+7 Atk+7 coupled with the str +2 this ends up being better than Galliard Trousers and Askar Dirs. Definitely worth considerations.
Quote:

Is the "Double Attack" not worth considering?


No, double attack has diminishing returns, meaning the more you add, the less you get overall for your DoT. 7 acc is a 3.5% increase to your DoT and every other possibility either haste, attack, or enmity & hp all are better options for your hate holding or DoT than 2% double attack ever will do.
____________________________
Retired

10,000 Pages wrote:
Kaolian is become death; destroyer of all fun and good times.

Johnny Cash wrote:
Faith, it's like a flower of light in a field of darkness giving me the strength to carry on.
#15 Oct 30 2009 at 7:03 PM Rating: Good
***
1,111 posts
NCCoda wrote:
If you don't have Homam, I'd pick Haste and ACC over Haste and Cure Potency.

Even if your DRG is capped on ACC, your PLD isn't, not on anything above a VT or so. If you have Atonement, a 3% increase to your ACC is huge. Even if you don't have Atonement, Chivalry is awesome and you have to have TP to use it.

Just my thoughts.


My PLD is far from ACC capped, and to be honest my DRG probably isnt for higher evasive things so there is some benefit to it. I dont have Atonement on Paladin however and dont anticipate being able to get it any time soon. Will 7ACC really outweigh other options that are possibly unattainable for me? I doubt Ill ever see W.Legs and the like.

Trick is though, even though Ill never get W.Legs, I also cant think of a time where I will kite things :P
____________________________
To endanger the soul endangers all,
when the soul is endangered it must become a Warrior.
#16 Oct 30 2009 at 11:17 PM Rating: Good
**
451 posts
Assuming the BC isn't as lame as MKE I plan on getting Movement Speed and Enmity. Not that I kite all that often on PLD, but it does come up. Once BLM is finished i'll dump it for the BLM + speed.

If it is another lame BC that I'll end up going 1/12 on with shout groups, my BLM will just have to do without the + speed.

I have even less of a chance at gaiters than I do getting wlegs.. and I rarely do sky anymore. +speed is far more attractive to me than slightly better than homam legs for TP. I have plenty of acc with aurum and askar legs to choose from.

I already have a decent cure macro piece with Iron Ram pants. HP+28 Enmity+4. Doesnt have the + potentcy, but I'd rather have + movement speed than 202hp Cure IIIs.
____________________________
Yash Nahain - Keeper of the Moon Miqo'te, DoM / Goldsmith
Ghostface Spidercarpet - Highland Hyur, Gladiator / Armorer
Don't know which one to keep yet.....
#17 Oct 31 2009 at 12:25 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
602 posts
I have been seeing people state time and time again that Double Attack has diminishing returns but I don't get it, maybe I'm retarded or something. For example:

+5% Double Attack
Out of 100 hits = 105 hits overall
5% increase in 100 hit round

Add +5% more Double Attack
Out of 100 hits = 110 hits overall
10% increase in 100 hit round

Add +5% more Double Attack
Out of 100 hits = 115 hits overall
15% increase in 100 hit round

If you had 50% Double Attack Rate
Out of 100 hits = 150 hits
50% increase in 100 hit round

Obviously it's better with the more Double Attack you add. You are getting whatever % you put into the rate back. So explain how it is diminishing? I'm lost. Not saying you should choose DA for the legs of course but just curious. Technically you would be doing +x% more damage the more Double Attack you had. In all honesty isn't the point of DoT to do more damage in less amount of time? Hence why Haste% is so big right now? Why would you not count Double Attack % into that formula as well. Accuracy is guaranteed Hit Rate, Haste% works 100% of the time, Double Attack isn't 100% out of 100 rounds obviously.

Just makes me wonder, I know people do haste/acc/str/attack. But if you're at 95% hit rate, wouldn't you actually be LOSING possible damage by NOT going for Double Attack or even Triple Attack modifiers? It's a chance to add another attack. With haste/acc/str/attack you would do 100 hits for 50 damage = 5000 damage. But with DA/TA modifiers let's say you get DA %25 modifier, so 125 hits for 40 damage = 5000. Hmm. I guess my math is wrong or I need to do some testing. I think I just pretty much proved DA is worthless to some degree? Bah. It's 2:30am ;; Someone help me out.

I guess it's only worth it to add DA% if you can maintain the same damage as haste/acc/str/atk setup. Since I'm assuming a DA setup would be haste/acc/DA/atk/str. Has anyone done any tests and I just haven't been able to find them? And also it would add more % chance to proc on weapon skills. I guess you would have to calculate in tp gain too on each hit. More math than I want to do at this time of night.

Another thing to point out, could subbing in DA% be worth it for multi-hit weaponskills? Most people do accuracy/str/attack... what about acc for 95% hit rate, DA% for added hits chance, Str for fStr, attack for extra points of damage. You could also try out adding in Crit hit rate+%.

So perhaps accuracy->double attack +x%->critical hit rate +x%->Str->Attack?

Edited, Oct 31st 2009 2:00am by Excenmille
#18 Oct 31 2009 at 3:41 AM Rating: Decent
**
712 posts
Excenmille wrote:
I have been seeing people state time and time again that Double Attack has diminishing returns but I don't get it, maybe I'm retarded or something. For example:

+5% Double Attack
Out of 100 hits = 105 hits overall
5% increase in 100 hit round

Add +5% more Double Attack
Out of 100 hits = 110 hits overall
10% increase in 100 hit round

Add +5% more Double Attack
Out of 100 hits = 115 hits overall
15% increase in 100 hit round

If you had 50% Double Attack Rate
Out of 100 hits = 150 hits
50% increase in 100 hit round

Thats because you are calculating its effectiveness differently. Yes if you add 50% more DA, you will do attack 50% more times in w/e amount of attack rounds you have. However what kind of increase over all you get from it, is different.

You get more by going from 0-5% DA than going from 40-45% DA. Even though you are adding exactly the same amount of DA(5%) its not as *potent* as it was when you first started out with 0. You can argue that that may not be considered diminshing, but how effective or how potent it is higher up, can not be argued as it is not as potent higher up as it was with less amount. Heres examples by other people :

Shintasama wrote:
as for DA:
100rounds(ignoring acc b/c it cancels):

0%DA->2%DA = 102 attacks / 100 attacks = 1.0200x
2%DA->4%DA = 104 attacks / 102 attacks = 1.0196x
4%DA->6%DA = 106 attacks / 104 attacks = 1.0192x
....
52%DA->54%DA = 154 attacks / 152 attacks = 1.0132x


As you can see, the % from 2% DA goes down the higher amount that its applied to, vs when it was first applied to at a 0%. You still get 2% DA that percent doesnt change, however how effective that 2% is goes down with how much more DA you are stacking it to.


Excenmille wrote:
Obviously it's better with the more Double Attack you add. You are getting whatever % you put into the rate back. So explain how it is diminishing? I'm lost. Not saying you should choose DA for the legs of course but just curious. Technically you would be doing +x% more damage the more Double Attack you had. In all honesty isn't the point of DoT to do more damage in less amount of time? Hence why Haste% is so big right now? Why would you not count Double Attack % into that formula as well. Accuracy is guaranteed Hit Rate, Haste% works 100% of the time, Double Attack isn't 100% out of 100 rounds obviously.


If you are capped on acc, yes adding DA/crit/att/str are always better, however if you could add haste to w/e slot you are doing, that would better than the above til you hit cap.

Excenmile wrote:

Just makes me wonder, I know people do haste/acc/str/attack. But if you're at 95% hit rate, wouldn't you actually be LOSING possible damage by NOT going for Double Attack or even Triple Attack modifiers? It's a chance to add another attack. With haste/acc/str/attack you would do 100 hits for 50 damage = 5000 damage. But with DA/TA modifiers let's say you get DA %25 modifier, so 125 hits for 40 damage = 5000. Hmm. I guess my math is wrong or I need to do some testing. I think I just pretty much proved DA is worthless to some degree? Bah. It's 2:30am ;; Someone help me out.

Yes but where are you or what situation that you find yourself at a 95% hit rate always?? Chances are, by going with acc gear in the first place, you got there. If you take some off to put in other gear, you would probably lose it. Dont eat sushi/rolls/songs to cap off acc. If you are on PLD, Id only be eating sushi on HNMs or mobs higher than exp mobs. If we are assuming this is only for pld job, you will never be at acc cap just on gear alone, ever at exp camps.

It would probably help if you pointed out what you were thinking of using your DA pants on. For pld they are useless at exp camps, because you will never be at cap outside of pizza+1 mamools camp. And even then I wouldnt melee with 2% DA as joytoy has a 45~50% DA rate and toss in dual weilding Justice and you get a less % in tossing in 2% DA vs more att/acc/str for Pld.



Asdrabael wrote:
The 5% cure potency with an extra 4 enmity attached will provide better hate than trying to use the haste + enmity for a flash piece.

No, they are about the same enmity being generated. 5% Cure potency will generate 7 units of CE aswell 4enmity on flash. That why I added it as an alternative. You dont add in the enmity +4 from the pants into the equation because you already get +4 from IR so you cant add them into the equation when seeing how much enmity 5% cure potency adds vs 4enmity for pants.

Going off my max cure III with 5% cure potency
193*1.05 = 202.65
202.65 * .727 = 147.32 CE

193*.727 = 140.31 CE

This gives me a total of 7 CE gain for 5% cure potency. Now for flash its easy
flash base CE is 180

180* 1.04 = 187.20
Giving me the same exact 7 CE gain.

So it really comes down to how many cures you usually do vs flashes. Few things that I considered before suggesting this was, some people dont have/use cure cheats, flashes are mp efficient, after 4-5 minutes you're usually just spamming flashes over cures anyhow, if you're galka or elvaan your mp pool cant really support much lol;;. Esp if your refresh rate isnt as high as others.

For me, im going to go with cure potency+enmity just because I tend to spam cures at the beginning on myself more often than not. I try to balance it out as best as possible, using more with Chivalry/devotion and poping a cure IV with Sentinel, etc.
____________________________
SERVER: IFRIT
WHM/BRD: Triangulum
PLD
MNK
SAM
BLM
DRK

#19 Oct 31 2009 at 9:52 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
*
154 posts
hitoseijuro wrote:
You get more by going from 0-5% DA than going from 40-45% DA.

This is sort of right, but I would phrase it differently. Technically, you get exactly the same in both situations - five more swings per hundred attack rounds. But the reason the latter scenario is "less valuable" is because you're not deciding whether or not to wear DA gear vs. nothing - you're deciding whether or not to wear DA gear vs. gear with other stats on it. As an example, let's use a situation where you're deciding whether to wear DA+3% or attack+10 (purely arbitrary values).

Going from 0-3% DA and from 40-43% DA increases your damage by the same raw amount - specifically, three extra swings per hundred.

However, adding 10 attack at 0% DA and adding 10 attack at 40% DA do NOT add the same amount of raw damage. The attack adds significantly more raw damage when you're swinging 140 times every 100 rounds than when you're only swinging 100 times.

Thus, even though insofar as pure damage double attack acts in a linear fashion, for intents and purposes it has diminishing returns VERSUS OTHER ALTERNATIVES. For that reason, double attack becomes less valuable in greater amounts even though it doesn't actually do less damage. It's all a matter of relativity, which is the only rational way to make gear decisions.
#20 Oct 31 2009 at 10:01 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,720 posts
It's the exact right way to say it if you're talking about the percentage increase of attacks per round, though. How much of an increase is it to go from 100 to 105 attacks in a round? How much of an increase is it to go from 140 to 145 attacks in a round? This is one of the common interpretations for what diminishing returns is. The exact same number of extra attacks has lower impact the more you're swinging to start with (in a given time period). BOTH cases win out over the base line, but as you get farther away from the baseline per piece, the less each piece is helping the bottom line.

DA +2 is worthless compared to everything else you could get.
____________________________
Leviathan - PLD90, BLU90, MNK 90, DRG 78
#21 Oct 31 2009 at 10:46 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
*
154 posts
Dracoth wrote:
It's the exact right way to say it if you're talking about the percentage increase of attacks per round, though. How much of an increase is it to go from 100 to 105 attacks in a round? How much of an increase is it to go from 140 to 145 attacks in a round?

It's a matter of semantics, but phrasing it this way is what often leads to the confusion exhibited by the one who originally asked the question. The percentage math simply implies that which I said explicitly because of the relativity involved in making gear choices. If it were simply a matter of having nothing versus having DA+, the "percentage diminishing returns" would be totally meaningless for practical purposes because all we care about is maximizing our raw damage. (In case I'm not being clear, I'm not actually arguing with you).

Ironically, accuracy works very similarly. Just happens that large bunches of accuracy are better than small bunches of DA+.
#22 Oct 31 2009 at 11:14 PM Rating: Good
***
2,154 posts
hitoseijuro wrote:

Asdrabael wrote:
The 5% cure potency with an extra 4 enmity attached will provide better hate than trying to use the haste + enmity for a flash piece.

No, they are about the same enmity being generated. 5% Cure potency will generate 7 units of CE aswell 4enmity on flash. That why I added it as an alternative. You dont add in the enmity +4 from the pants into the equation because you already get +4 from IR so you cant add them into the equation when seeing how much enmity 5% cure potency adds vs 4enmity for pants.

Going off my max cure III with 5% cure potency
193*1.05 = 202.65
202.65 * .727 = 147.32 CE

193*.727 = 140.31 CE

This gives me a total of 7 CE gain for 5% cure potency. Now for flash its easy
flash base CE is 180

180* 1.04 = 187.20
Giving me the same exact 7 CE gain.

So it really comes down to how many cures you usually do vs flashes. Few things that I considered before suggesting this was, some people dont have/use cure cheats, flashes are mp efficient, after 4-5 minutes you're usually just spamming flashes over cures anyhow, if you're galka or elvaan your mp pool cant really support much lol;;. Esp if your refresh rate isnt as high as others.

For me, im going to go with cure potency+enmity just because I tend to spam cures at the beginning on myself more often than not. I try to balance it out as best as possible, using more with Chivalry/devotion and poping a cure IV with Sentinel, etc.


This is true, but you should already have 202 from hospitaler earring in your cure cheat over the alternative of hades +1. These pants put you to 210+, and you're right it depends on whether you cure cheat. The only issue there, is that if a paladin isn't cure cheating then 9 times out of 10, they're not tanking either unless their ls gives them a stupidly long period of time to build hate.

You also have to factor in the additional sentinel hate from bigger cures, whether its a 210 cure 3 or a 410 cure 4. Cure potency is the only thing that boosts your cures during sentinel, so this should be a top priority for a nice chunk of additional hate at the crucial first 30-45 seconds of the fight. If it wasn't for atonement, tanking with templar mace would still probably be semi-common with the +10% potency and the enormous hate this adds up to.

Sorry, the cure potency just seems like an easy issue, because its the only stat on the pants that hugely benefits paladin and we can't get from another gear in extremely similar amounts. It just stands out for the pants in the same way the fast cast stood out on the body.

Edited, Oct 31st 2009 11:46pm by Asdrabael
#23 Nov 01 2009 at 3:18 AM Rating: Default
**
712 posts
Dayn wrote:
but phrasing it this way is what often leads to the confusion exhibited by the one who originally asked the question.

Its not, please go back and read the entire paragraph. Obviously by cutting it and quoting it the way you did, it wouldnt make sense, But I stated that it was the same exact DA% for both, and the only thing that wasnt the same was the overall *potency* that it gave with more DA% already added.

@Asdrabael, I agree
____________________________
SERVER: IFRIT
WHM/BRD: Triangulum
PLD
MNK
SAM
BLM
DRK

#24 Nov 01 2009 at 6:44 AM Rating: Good
Sage
*
154 posts
Hitoseijuro wrote:
Its not, please go back and read the entire paragraph. Obviously by cutting it and quoting it the way you did, it wouldnt make sense, But I stated that it was the same exact DA% for both, and the only thing that wasnt the same was the overall *potency* that it gave with more DA% already added.

Keep in mind that I don't actually disagree with you. I just thought that your word choice was poor for clarifying that particular misunderstanding, so I elaborated on your point. Just a point of semantics, really, not an argument.
#25 Nov 01 2009 at 10:59 AM Rating: Default
***
2,720 posts
It's not a poor choice of words and is actually closest to the definition of diminishing returns most people use. You're right in that gear plays a factor, but it's wrong to say that that's why DA loses out.

Accuracy, while still suffering from diminishing returns, has a linear payout until you hit 95% accuracy - every two points of accuracy increases hit rate by 1%. Thus, adding 7 accuracy will always increase attack by 3.5% until the hit rate is at 95%. Doesn't matter if you're at 50% accuracy or 90% accuracy - you'll see a 3.5% increase in accuracy.

Most stats in this game have diminishing returns. Some suffer from the fate of DA, some suffer the same as accuracy. The ONLY stat that suffers the least from diminishing returns is Haste, which has increasing returns until the cap is reached (which makes it suffer from diminishing returns, but is so hard to hit, it's meaningless).
____________________________
Leviathan - PLD90, BLU90, MNK 90, DRG 78
#26 Nov 01 2009 at 4:23 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
*
154 posts
Accuracy is linear and diminishing in the exact same way as double attack. You're using different methods for the two stats. You've actually used the same computation as the original question asker in regards to accuracy. Yes, your hit rate increases by 3.5% whether you are at 50% accuracy or at 90% accuracy (i.e. you connect 3.5 more swings per hundred). But using the percentage change method, you'd say that:

53.5/50 = 1.07
93.5/90 = 1.039 - "diminishing returns"

Consider a function relating number of connected swings and double attack, and one relating the number of connected swings and accuracy. Both are absolutely linear. However, if you compute percentage change at different points on the function, you'll get dimishing returns on both. In fact, this is true for ALL UPWARD SLOPING LINEAR FUNCTIONS. Try it out, you'll see that this holds true. And we know this to be true in practice, too - accuracy is more valuable the lower your accuracy is, despite the fact that it increases your hit rate at a linear rate. It's EXACTLY the same with double attack.

The question becomes, what is the value of computing percentage change at various points along the line? The reason is because this math captures the importance of making gear choices in context. Otherwise, it would be entirely meaningless for practical purposes.

This is somewhat convoluted, but I believe it can be summed up unequivocally with three points:

(1) For the purposes of increasing raw damage dealt, double attack and accuracy are LINEAR.

(2) The value of stacking double attack and accuracy suffers from diminishing returns. This is NOT because these stats increase your damage by any less at higher values.

(3) For the practical purpose of making gear decisions, ONLY statement #2 is relevant.

Edited, Nov 1st 2009 5:27pm by Dayn
#27 Nov 01 2009 at 9:17 PM Rating: Good
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
How many times am I going to see these exact same DA arguments on alla...

Dayn wrote:
This is somewhat convoluted, but I believe it can be summed up unequivocally with three points:

(1) For the purposes of increasing raw damage dealt, double attack and accuracy are LINEAR.

(2) The value of stacking double attack and accuracy suffers from diminishing returns. This is NOT because these stats increase your damage by any less at higher values.

(3) For the practical purpose of making gear decisions, ONLY statement #2 is relevant.
This is pretty much it. It's an important basis for how you measure the value of a piece of gear in comparison to another piece of gear with different stats on it. Theoretical example:


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Assume (for simplicity) 100% hitrate.

You do 1 damage per swing, and have 10% DA. So, you do 110 damage per 100 attack rounds.

Which is better - adding 10% more DA, or adding .1 damage to every swing? Both are "10% increases"; you can add 10% DA or 10% damage. They will not return the same amount of total damage over time though. For this very simplified example, we can do things the long way.

DA+10%:
110 + 10 = 120 damage per 100 attack rounds

Damage+10%:
110 * 1.1 = 121 damage per 100 attack rounds

Adding .1 damage per swing is definitively better because of how DA is calculated.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


This is a very basic example, and not all stats are as clean to compare as DA. The shorthand for this is to estimate the DoT increases of each piece of gear. In the previous example, going from 10% DA to 20% DA is a 120/110 = ~9.090909% increase, and adding 10% damage to every hit is simply just 10% increase to DoT.




Edited, Nov 1st 2009 9:23pm by bsphil
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#28 Nov 02 2009 at 4:03 AM Rating: Decent
**
712 posts
Dayn wrote:
(2) The value of stacking double attack and accuracy suffers from diminishing returns. This is NOT because these stats increase your damage by any less at higher values.

Thats basically what I typed up, not sure what you are trying to point out. I agree probably poor wording, but not everyone understands how math works, so I used the easiest words I could think of.
____________________________
SERVER: IFRIT
WHM/BRD: Triangulum
PLD
MNK
SAM
BLM
DRK

Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 25 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (25)