Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Tanking with DD Gear - A GuideFollow

#27 Feb 08 2009 at 4:12 PM Rating: Good
***
2,722 posts
It's explained in this thread, which I'll link to at some point. I'm going to add all sorts of relevant links when I get the majority of the guide up.
#28 Feb 08 2009 at 7:02 PM Rating: Excellent
**
475 posts
Kinematics explained it here
____________________________
Illusio - Caitsith

Gandhi wrote:
A man is but the product of his thoughts; what he thinks, he becomes.
#29 Feb 11 2009 at 9:11 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
445 posts
Very nice guide. As someone who leveled as PLD/NIN, I was glad to see a bit about it being useful in burn parties and the like.

My only bone to pick with you is that you have a lot of things listed as "luxury" when they're not. I mean, Optical Hat, luxury? Come on. It's a pain in the *** to get, but, it's not a luxury piece.
#30 Feb 11 2009 at 10:08 PM Rating: Good
I think luisant body deserves a luxury note, not 100% sure the buffs are worth the - EVA but I'm using it and all my pt's are non-stop chain 5's without me ever losing hate even though I only used voke at start lol


Anyway main reason I got it is cause . . .well . . . have you seen it? SEXAY and it has useful stats . .. that just screams luxury to me!

Also I would call the gothic set luxury as well . . . I got them but it was a royal pain in my ***, I literally spent over 24 game hours in xarc trying to get the hands . . . I got 8 of those lumbers for tati shield and I only spent a fraction of my time killing gigas.
____________________________
Mistress Darqflame wrote:
Sorry, anything representing or remotely resembling a ***** is a nono.
gigasnail wrote:
i'm lighting the freak signal here, sara help me out ~
Redding wrote:
Same ol' Sara now with 50% less hidden *****
#31 Feb 11 2009 at 10:40 PM Rating: Good
***
2,722 posts
Optical Hat being luxury is a ***** up... I cut and paste an earlier code for the [i] and missed that is was orange. That will be fixed.

Gothic Gauntlets are more of an "oh neat" upgrade piece, but yeah, I should mark them as Luxury.

I thought long and hard about the Luisant. Notice I tossed a lot on there. The deciding factor was that Allah didn't list it as having any defense (which isn't right), and I was using printed sheets off the PLD EQ page... I didn't think the stats on it were worth giving up THAT much defense. I mean, really, the Hauby has only 7 less than the Gallant, so it's not as noticable. But, 30 at that level would be. I'll add it in when I get the chance.
#32 Mar 07 2009 at 11:52 AM Rating: Good
***
2,722 posts
Updated Equipment section to include enmity gear and food discussion.

Updated Section II as well. Combined some subjobs together and tried to reduce the WoT that it is.

Also, wrote the party section. I hope the format of it looks better and it's more concise than the earlier sections. I might very well go back and touch them up to look like this one if it works. I think having all the information is great, but it takes a lot of dedication to get through it all.
#33 Mar 09 2009 at 2:28 AM Rating: Good
**
712 posts
In my opinion , the homam leg, feet and hand pieces should not be considered luxury. When I think of luxury I think of items like hades earring +1 or Cerberus mantle +1. Items that you upgrade at the very end of things when you have established every other piece that is essential to bettering your pld, these pieces generally offer a very small amount of % in performance over the piece you are upgrading. Every pld should strive to upgrade their gear for homam(hands,legs, and feet).

I know one would say, well at 73, items like that would seem luxury to someone first starting off. However this guide can be aimed for new people aswell as old players. Lets face it, old players are still turtle tanking, and will always continue to, hence why guides like these have to be made for new and old.

A few things that Id hope to see would be: (I know its endgame related)

/rdm /drk /nin subs for kiting. I think most plds should try one of the following. /nin to start off (call it training wheels) and get use to not having provoke. Although /rdm /drk would be far easier to hold hate. I think the point is to remove the crutch that is provoke. People rely on it far too much without realizing its not very reliable when you see how it works.

Sword + shield > staff while kiting. The emnity you can have added on to you while kiting can help. I had this debate a long time ago, trying to explain that you dont kite with a shield for defense(as in for blocks) but for the extra emnity you can recieve from it. Then there was the whole "but with a staff if you get hit you can reduce the damage you take!" "but youll be /nin so you wont be taking any...." and ya that conversation fell on deaf ears....

Anyhow just suggestions. Plds should know that there are other branches out there and they should atleast try them. And providing some ideas on how could really benefit any new pld.
____________________________
SERVER: IFRIT
WHM/BRD: Triangulum
PLD
MNK
SAM
BLM
DRK

#34 Mar 09 2009 at 4:10 AM Rating: Good
I really think you should cut down the general section, it should be more focused on the DD style, we all know what undead killer does and lets face it, people are intimidated easily by GREAT WALLS OF TEXT. Also as mentioned I do not think it is necisary to discuss EVERY subjob, just the ones related to topic. We have a /nin tanking guide and other guides for general info this should be focused on DD pld style.
____________________________
Mistress Darqflame wrote:
Sorry, anything representing or remotely resembling a ***** is a nono.
gigasnail wrote:
i'm lighting the freak signal here, sara help me out ~
Redding wrote:
Same ol' Sara now with 50% less hidden *****
#35 Mar 10 2009 at 5:54 AM Rating: Default
***
1,430 posts
I would say the Askar Korazin is a bit easier to get than either the Ares' Cuirass or Avalon Breastplate. You may want to include it.

At 60, I'd also say that the Iron Ram Shield is pretty much required. Not that expensive in either gil or Notes.

Edit: Noticed the Koenig Shield was included in the enmity section.



Edited, Mar 10th 2009 9:00am by AriesMCMLXXIII
____________________________
Hayward: San d'Orian Elvaan Male. Cerberus Server.

*Current Project: Mog Garden*
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hayward Timberwolf | Limsa Lominsa | Adamantoise | Elezen Male

Main class: ACN50
Other classes: THM50|ARC50|CNJ50|GLA50|MRD50|PGL50|LNC50|ROG50
DoH: CUL50|CRP50|ALC50|BSM50|ARM50|WVR50|LTW50|GSM50
DoL: Miner, Lv. 50|Botanist Lv. 50|Fisher Lv. 50
Jobs Unlocked: SMN|BLM|SCH|PLD|WHM|BRD|WAR|DRG|NIN
#36 Mar 10 2009 at 3:25 PM Rating: Good
**
475 posts
Quote:
I would say the Askar Korazin is a bit easier to get than either the Ares' Cuirass or Avalon Breastplate.

Easy to get and worth using aren't the same thing.
____________________________
Illusio - Caitsith

Gandhi wrote:
A man is but the product of his thoughts; what he thinks, he becomes.
#37AriesMCMLXXIII, Posted: Mar 11 2009 at 7:43 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Explain. Not everyone has x million gil just lying about to buy the body armor I mentioned (Imperial Wootz Ingots in the case of the Ares' Cuirass). Nor does everyone have the connections or desire to join an HNMLS to fight Sandworm NMs or join a Salvage LS only to have to wait an eternity for that one last piece to drop.
#38 Mar 11 2009 at 8:48 PM Rating: Good
Sage
*
243 posts
Because you can just drop 200k~ for a much better piece, haubergeon.
____________________________
Kaolas - Galka -
RDM75, BLM75, THF75, MNK75, PLD75, DRK75
*-Fishing 100
*-Ebisu Fishing Rod

#39 Mar 11 2009 at 9:16 PM Rating: Good
To emphasize the point even my drk with full scythe merits and respectable gear cannot justify using askar body over haub on anything colbri or harder except when I have diabolic eye or soul eater up (20ACC granted) or if I'm getting madrigal or hunters roll (which would tick me off on colbri because I don't have enough pure stk/atk gear to replace that much ACC without losing haste). The fact that haub gives such a significant boost to both atk and acc make it very hard to beat as a tp piece or multy hit ws piece for all the jobs that can use it. Haub is really THAT good.
____________________________
Mistress Darqflame wrote:
Sorry, anything representing or remotely resembling a ***** is a nono.
gigasnail wrote:
i'm lighting the freak signal here, sara help me out ~
Redding wrote:
Same ol' Sara now with 50% less hidden *****
#40 Mar 11 2009 at 9:22 PM Rating: Good
***
2,722 posts
AriesMCMLXXIII wrote:
Illusitaru wrote:
Quote:
I would say the Askar Korazin is a bit easier to get than either the Ares' Cuirass or Avalon Breastplate.

Easy to get and worth using aren't the same thing.


Explain. Not everyone has x million gil just lying about to buy the body armor I mentioned (Imperial Wootz Ingots in the case of the Ares' Cuirass). Nor does everyone have the connections or desire to join an HNMLS to fight Sandworm NMs or join a Salvage LS only to have to wait an eternity for that one last piece to drop.

It seems rather unfair not to list the Askar Korazin among the others because it can be acquired without going broke or enslaving oneself to an endgame LS.


Askar Korazin won't ever be included except as a "What pieces you shouldn't get." DRKs, SAMs, and WARs don't want it. We don't either. The Haubergeon is a much better investment, as has been pointed out. In fact, for both Avalon and Ares', it's more of a side grade than an upgrade over Haubergeon. I really just want the Ares because I like the look and I like having the option of a body only Refresh that doesn't hurt my DD. I'll still sport my Hauby +1 most of the time.
#41 Mar 12 2009 at 3:37 AM Rating: Default
***
1,430 posts
Maybe you'd like to tell the other 4 people in my Nyzul Isle group--2 Samurai, a Warrior, and a Dark Knight--that the Korazins we fought hard for are so inferior that we need to hang our heads in shame. I highly doubt any of them will blink an eye to any recriminations you send their way.

You may have your own standards, but my point still stands. Neither you nor Illusitaru have made any concrete argument against it. I've only read increasingly desperate justifications for spending large amounts of gil as opposed to getting a small group together and participating in a casual event (which may be the source of your hostility towards my suggestion).

Edited, Mar 12th 2009 6:39am by AriesMCMLXXIII
____________________________
Hayward: San d'Orian Elvaan Male. Cerberus Server.

*Current Project: Mog Garden*
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hayward Timberwolf | Limsa Lominsa | Adamantoise | Elezen Male

Main class: ACN50
Other classes: THM50|ARC50|CNJ50|GLA50|MRD50|PGL50|LNC50|ROG50
DoH: CUL50|CRP50|ALC50|BSM50|ARM50|WVR50|LTW50|GSM50
DoL: Miner, Lv. 50|Botanist Lv. 50|Fisher Lv. 50
Jobs Unlocked: SMN|BLM|SCH|PLD|WHM|BRD|WAR|DRG|NIN
#42 Mar 12 2009 at 4:43 AM Rating: Excellent
**
712 posts
AriesMCMLXXIII wrote:
Maybe you'd like to tell the other 4 people in my Nyzul Isle group--2 Samurai, a Warrior, and a Dark Knight--that the Korazins we fought hard for are so inferior that we need to hang our heads in shame. I highly doubt any of them will blink an eye to any recriminations you send their way.

You may have your own standards, but my point still stands. Neither you nor Illusitaru have made any concrete argument against it. I've only read increasingly desperate justifications for spending large amounts of gil as opposed to getting a small group together and participating in a casual event (which may be the source of your hostility towards my suggestion).

I know if I didnt correct Dracoths post, it would blow up wrongly. First off, Askar Korazins is only wanted by wars,drs and sams because the store tp on the body pieces will give them 1 less swing to WS. So him saying the body piece isnt wanted wasnt entirely true, or wrong either. Drg is probably the only job that can get away with it without being too gimp. However if its not pushing you 1 less swing to 100tp, dont settle with it.

As far as that, its useless compared to hauby. The main reason is basically accuracy. It has no accuracy. Accuracy is bread and butter to a pld. Most plds go out of their way to get Joytoy, so the double attack from the body gets even less useful than it already is. I say less useful, because DA +2% will not out parse 12-13 Accuracy that hauby is giving you(15 if +1). Paladin will be benefiting from the accuracy easily. Able to gear haste in other spots for it.

Btw, how good is hauby? well lets put it into your gear. Atm, if we put you in the lower end of accuracy camps, ie bird camp. You barely make the amount of acc needed to eat meats(even if you cant hold on to the food due to it being eaten its a good mark to know you dont need assistance of accuracy outside of your gear/traits/JAs) You are sitting at 81%. I wont include hasso benefits as youll want to ditch that potent belt for swift belt eventually. And it will eventually just set you back up to where you were, if not at barely 80%. Having hauby is obviously going to be more advantageous for you right now. Still not convinced? Go to mamool camps and your acc wont cut it.

If your reasoning is eating pizza,sushi, or bard acc songs, than you are doing it very wrong. You are gimping yourself, and then gimping yourself even more to ungimp you, leaving you still as a gimp.

Take no offense to this, this is just to help you understand why something is better than the other piece. Nothing helps more when that said piece can even better your performance. The accuracy on hauby for your sam alone, will boost you up by atleast 4~5%. DA+2% wont even come close to that.

Compare that to your pld, and your pld is suffering with about 58% hit rate. Thats on exp mobs, HNM mobs, atleast you wont be giving them tp...

This is all if you even have sam or pld fully merited in weapons, ie great katana and sword, if you dont, you really will be hurting in accuracy.


Now you know why hauby is so awesome. It provides you with everything you need, without gimping you in any other way, other than looks probably.
____________________________
SERVER: IFRIT
WHM/BRD: Triangulum
PLD
MNK
SAM
BLM
DRK

#43AriesMCMLXXIII, Posted: Mar 12 2009 at 6:01 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Your argument is well put and would have poked many holes in my argument were Paladin my first job to 75. However, what you may have missed in my profile is the fact that I had previously placed 5 Sword merits (+10 Attack, +10 Accuracy) to cover any accuracy issues that would have cropped up--in other words, I had the vital stats of the Haubergeon 9 levels before I could wear the actual item on PLD. Without the off-putting penalties, I might add.
#44 Mar 12 2009 at 7:58 AM Rating: Excellent
**
712 posts
AriesMCMLXXIII wrote:
Your argument is well put and would have poked many holes in my argument were Paladin my first job to 75. However, what you may have missed in my profile is the fact that I had previously placed 5 Sword merits (+10 Attack, +10 Accuracy) to cover any accuracy issues that would have cropped up--in other words, I had the vital stats of the Haubergeon 9 levels before I could wear the actual item on PLD. Without the off-putting penalties, I might add.

In addition to that, the 12.5 accuracy that I may be missing can easily be made up in 2 slots as I have a Potent Belt and Ecphoria Ring--which I use on Samurai as well--on hand should the need arise (your example of Mamool Ja would be such a case, though I haven't felt compelled to look for a merit party in months thanks to Campaign).

At the time I had the Haubergeon, I only used it for Weapon Skills on PLD and NIN and only on SAM full-time because I had nothing else to wear before the Korazin dropped to me. Because I prefer to use /DRG on SAM, I had no real need for the Haubergeon.

Again, your point is well taken and gives me reason to not argue my point so vehemently as mine is a singular case. I must, however, remain firm on the idea that all viable options should be presented without regard to one's superiority to another's.

Well a few things to consider. When I made the calculations, I already calculated you with full merits on sword and great katana. Therefore if you dont have them fully merited, the calculations I gave you are even lower. I also calulated you with /drg which gives you about +10 more acc. All this is assumed in the 81%, add full timing hasso for 86%. I dont usually include it as full timing hasso can not always be the case depending on pt setup.

There was another thread about what would be best for a pld to TP in. this is what was posted-
TP:
Main: Joyeuse
Sub: Justice Sword
Ammo: Virtue Stone
Head: Askar
Neck: PCC
Ear: Suppa
Ear: Brutal
Body: Hauby+1
Hands: Dusk +1
Ring: Sniper's +1
Ring: Sniper's +1
Back: Cerb +1
Waist: Speed Belt
Legs: Homam
Feet: Homam

As you can see this setup has a lot of accuracy, compare it with your pld's setup and you will see that its not only offering a good amount of accuracy but also haste. Funny enough, even with all this accuracy, its still lacking the required minimum to pass in most exp camps. In my personally opinion, Id swap out the askar head for ares, and PCC for ancient torque.

I know these pieces are pieces that are not easy to come by, but this is just an example of how heavy pld needs to be in acc. Actually this how heavy in acc any dual wielding job needs to be.

As far as you sam goes, Im not saying askar is a bad piece, its not, but its become a little more over rated than it should be. And imo , its because of how over powering hauby can be. Yes, hauby is and always will be that godly for any job that cant wear something better. Askar looks better and has the str/att of hauby to make it look just as good, while not having accuracy(this is the big negative that it has, and will be the deciding factor) it offers store tp, and a small amount of DA.

No one is saying that Askar is a bad piece, however, if you are lacking accuracy, which imo you are, than it not having accuracy is what is hurting you. Right now you are getting by with accuracy, if you can maintain hasso up always, you will have about 86% accuracy. But if I were you, Id try to do w/e you could to upgrade your belt from potent to swift(your pld will thank you aswell). Right now you have about 16% haste. Having a bit more acc would allow you to drop pieces for even more accuracy. Swift for potent, maybe dusk for askar, fumas for askar(the str isnt helping while you swing). Already you have gained 8% more haste. Losing only 8 accuracy, had you had hauby youd lose nothing and actually still have about 5 extra accuracy, with 8% more haste.

24% +5 more acc to your setup sounds pretty hot no? All you lost was 6str and 2 DA%, you will see that what you have gained is far more potent and powerful than str which does almost nothing for you while you swing and a small amount of DA which wont touch 7~8% haste and 5 more acc.

Again this is just examples of other possibilities for your sam, and even pld. This is not the only way or right way to do things. I can assure you it will improve your sam, but so can many other things. I myself would like to get myself an askar body piece when it falls, just because I like how it looks and wouldnt mind wearing it in town. However when it would come to getting my job done, its back on the coat rack, as I have other body pieces that will get the job done.

As far as campaign goes, I can not say how easy it is to hit the mobs. I know on pld I dont have trouble, I use the same armor I have in my sig, though substitute hades for brutal,shield for joytoy, bow for tiphia sting etc.

Anyhow this isnt an arguement of which is right or wrong, but more of an intelligent conversation of why this or that ~can~ be more beneficial over the other with the ~current~ set of gear. In the another setup, the outcome can change
____________________________
SERVER: IFRIT
WHM/BRD: Triangulum
PLD
MNK
SAM
BLM
DRK

#45 Mar 12 2009 at 8:21 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
445 posts
Paladin wearing Askar body is doing it all wrong. If you don't wear haubergeon, you are doing it all wrong.

Also, I believe WARs can get a six-hit very easily without the use of Askar body. Rajas/Echphoria/Brutal or Rajas/Chiv Chain/Brutal is enough on its own, with /SAM.
#46 Mar 12 2009 at 11:47 AM Rating: Good
AriesMCMLXXIII wrote:
Your argument is well put and would have poked many holes in my argument were Paladin my first job to 75. However, what you may have missed in my profile is the fact that I had previously placed 5 Sword merits (+10 Attack, +10 Accuracy) to cover any accuracy issues that would have cropped up--in other words, I had the vital stats of the Haubergeon 9 levels before I could wear the actual item on PLD. Without the off-putting penalties, I might add.

In addition to that, the 12.5 accuracy that I may be missing can easily be made up in 2 slots as I have a Potent Belt and Ecphoria Ring--which I use on Samurai as well--on hand should the need arise (your example of Mamool Ja would be such a case, though I haven't felt compelled to look for a merit party in months thanks to Campaign).

At the time I had the Haubergeon, I only used it for Weapon Skills on PLD and NIN and only on SAM full-time because I had nothing else to wear before the Korazin dropped to me. Because I prefer to use /DRG on SAM, I had no real need for the Haubergeon.

Again, your point is well taken and gives me reason to not argue my point so vehemently as mine is a singular case. I must, however, remain firm on the idea that all viable options should be presented without regard to one's superiority to another's.

Just because you worked hard to get askar body doesn't make it good. It's great If you don't need the ACC, but I guarantee you do. As I said before I am a drk, well geared even went so far as to choose abyssal as my DM earring so I KNOW you do not have much more ACC then me if you even do. Merit mobs or harder huab or gtfo.

If you honestly think 2atk and 2% DA > 10 ACC 5DEX from NQ haub you should think a bit harder.

If you have HQ your comparing 2%DA to 1STR + 12ACC + 6DEX . . . seriously?


And 200k is not a lot of money, new players can farm up the money to ding into haub it is standard gear that you should already have as a SAM.

If you don't care that haub is better than askar that is fine, but that doesn't mean a guide should tell people to use it too.

Edited, Mar 12th 2009 3:48pm by SillyXSara

Edited, Mar 12th 2009 6:42pm by SillyXSara
____________________________
Mistress Darqflame wrote:
Sorry, anything representing or remotely resembling a ***** is a nono.
gigasnail wrote:
i'm lighting the freak signal here, sara help me out ~
Redding wrote:
Same ol' Sara now with 50% less hidden *****
#47 Mar 12 2009 at 11:56 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,722 posts
AriesMCMLXXIII wrote:
Maybe you'd like to tell the other 4 people in my Nyzul Isle group--2 Samurai, a Warrior, and a Dark Knight--that the Korazins we fought hard for are so inferior that we need to hang our heads in shame. I highly doubt any of them will blink an eye to any recriminations you send their way.

You may have your own standards, but my point still stands. Neither you nor Illusitaru have made any concrete argument against it. I've only read increasingly desperate justifications for spending large amounts of gil as opposed to getting a small group together and participating in a casual event (which may be the source of your hostility towards my suggestion).

Edited, Mar 12th 2009 6:39am by AriesMCMLXXIII


Since others have addressed why Haubergeon is better than Korazin for most of the jobs I listed, I won't touch on that approach again. I gave a generalization and no specifics because I didn't want to get into the specifics. As said, unless your Acc is capped, Haubergeon will do more for your numbers. It even does more for your numbers than either Ares Cuirass OR Avalon Cuirass (although for different reasons). For a PLD, Accuracy is the most important part, but Refresh from Ares Cuirass or constant Enmity from Avalon may be enough to sidegrade the Haubergeon (circumstances permitted). I don't see Askar as a sidegrade for the reasons mentioned before.

As for the WAR, SAM, and DRK comment - it's been addressed to death.

Again, I won't add Askar because it's not even a side grade (sacrificing a little of some stats for better in others) compared to the mandatory (according to myself and thus the guide) Haubergeon which is only 200k. It's not being compared to Ares OR Avalon in this comparison, only to hauby. And, since it can be shown that except under very rare circumstances, the Hauby is strictly better than it, I'm not going to include it.
#48 Mar 26 2009 at 10:01 PM Rating: Excellent
Interesting guide, and quite thorough. :D

One suggestion. You might want to add links to the individual posts on your table of contents in the first post so people can find things easier. This should eliminate any issues with people saying the guide is too long to find certain topics.

There's a "Link to this post" option at the bottom of each post. In IE, it seems to change the URL to that of the selected post when you click on it, but if you are using Firefox, it seems that you'll have to right click on it and then press "Copy Link Location" to get the URL for the individual post.
#49 Mar 27 2009 at 11:26 PM Rating: Good
LadyOfHolyDarkness, Eater of Souls wrote:
Interesting guide, and quite thorough. :D

One suggestion. You might want to add links to the individual posts on your table of contents in the first post so people can find things easier. This should eliminate any issues with people saying the guide is too long to find certain topics.

There's a "Link to this post" option at the bottom of each post. In IE, it seems to change the URL to that of the selected post when you click on it, but if you are using Firefox, it seems that you'll have to right click on it and then press "Copy Link Location" to get the URL for the individual post.
I use firefox and do not have to do any extra steps.

But yeah good advice.

Another little nit-pick lesser colbri do not have the reflect trait. THere is no reason not to invite blms until level 62/63 when you fight NQ colbri and then in the 65/66 range you will fight eaither crawlers,imps, or flys where blms are once again useful until merit parties. In fact if your fighting mainly imps blm's have the advantage of not having to be in range of the sambas.

BLM's can be in the party more then they cannot in the TAOU areas, people just seem to forget that. . .
____________________________
Mistress Darqflame wrote:
Sorry, anything representing or remotely resembling a ***** is a nono.
gigasnail wrote:
i'm lighting the freak signal here, sara help me out ~
Redding wrote:
Same ol' Sara now with 50% less hidden *****
#50 Mar 28 2009 at 6:59 AM Rating: Good
***
2,722 posts
The SillyXSara of Doom wrote:
LadyOfHolyDarkness, Eater of Souls wrote:
Interesting guide, and quite thorough. :D

One suggestion. You might want to add links to the individual posts on your table of contents in the first post so people can find things easier. This should eliminate any issues with people saying the guide is too long to find certain topics.

There's a "Link to this post" option at the bottom of each post. In IE, it seems to change the URL to that of the selected post when you click on it, but if you are using Firefox, it seems that you'll have to right click on it and then press "Copy Link Location" to get the URL for the individual post.
I use firefox and do not have to do any extra steps.

But yeah good advice.

Another little nit-pick lesser colbri do not have the reflect trait. THere is no reason not to invite blms until level 62/63 when you fight NQ colbri and then in the 65/66 range you will fight eaither crawlers,imps, or flys where blms are once again useful until merit parties. In fact if your fighting mainly imps blm's have the advantage of not having to be in range of the sambas.

BLM's can be in the party more then they cannot in the TAOU areas, people just seem to forget that. . .


The problem with BLMs is more so their dependence on MP than the reflection property of Colibri and Greater Colibri. When the fights are over as fast as they are for most ToAU parties, a BLM may be resting as little as 1/3 to 1/2 the mob and as much as missing fights altogether trying to get mp back. I've had a friend who played BLM and really wanted to get it to 75 so we let him come along and we fought Eruca for a long time. He either opened the fight and then had to rest for most of it, or he rested for most of it and then got up just to try and finish the fight.

I'd have to look at my parses, but I know for a fact that our average XP/hour dropped specifically because of the BLM. There just isn't enough refresh available to them to help them keep up. (Either that, or he didn't have adequate hmp gear, either...) I'm not beyond assuming it was just my friend, but it's hard to take a random BLM when my friends can't even keep up with the flow of the party and, by extension, drag it down.

And, just to make it a little more clear, we were doing 9-12k/hr before moving to Erucas. I don't think we broke 9k once while fighting Erucas with a BLM. We did when we brought a melee DD job to replace him, though.
#51 Mar 29 2009 at 9:02 PM Rating: Good
Dracoth wrote:
The SillyXSara of Doom wrote:
LadyOfHolyDarkness, Eater of Souls wrote:
Interesting guide, and quite thorough. :D

One suggestion. You might want to add links to the individual posts on your table of contents in the first post so people can find things easier. This should eliminate any issues with people saying the guide is too long to find certain topics.

There's a "Link to this post" option at the bottom of each post. In IE, it seems to change the URL to that of the selected post when you click on it, but if you are using Firefox, it seems that you'll have to right click on it and then press "Copy Link Location" to get the URL for the individual post.
I use firefox and do not have to do any extra steps.

But yeah good advice.

Another little nit-pick lesser colbri do not have the reflect trait. THere is no reason not to invite blms until level 62/63 when you fight NQ colbri and then in the 65/66 range you will fight eaither crawlers,imps, or flys where blms are once again useful until merit parties. In fact if your fighting mainly imps blm's have the advantage of not having to be in range of the sambas.

BLM's can be in the party more then they cannot in the TAOU areas, people just seem to forget that. . .


The problem with BLMs is more so their dependence on MP than the reflection property of Colibri and Greater Colibri. When the fights are over as fast as they are for most ToAU parties, a BLM may be resting as little as 1/3 to 1/2 the mob and as much as missing fights altogether trying to get mp back. I've had a friend who played BLM and really wanted to get it to 75 so we let him come along and we fought Eruca for a long time. He either opened the fight and then had to rest for most of it, or he rested for most of it and then got up just to try and finish the fight.

I'd have to look at my parses, but I know for a fact that our average XP/hour dropped specifically because of the BLM. There just isn't enough refresh available to them to help them keep up. (Either that, or he didn't have adequate hmp gear, either...) I'm not beyond assuming it was just my friend, but it's hard to take a random BLM when my friends can't even keep up with the flow of the party and, by extension, drag it down.

And, just to make it a little more clear, we were doing 9-12k/hr before moving to Erucas. I don't think we broke 9k once while fighting Erucas with a BLM. We did when we brought a melee DD job to replace him, though.
Can't argue with that, never had a blm in TAOU areas lol . . .

I hope they fix that for blms . . .
____________________________
Mistress Darqflame wrote:
Sorry, anything representing or remotely resembling a ***** is a nono.
gigasnail wrote:
i'm lighting the freak signal here, sara help me out ~
Redding wrote:
Same ol' Sara now with 50% less hidden *****
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 1 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (1)