Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2 3
Reply To Thread

Pixie Earring for Ridill/JoyeuseFollow

#1 May 16 2009 at 10:23 AM Rating: Good
**
399 posts
So I just obtained this earring to add to the Ridill I got yesterday (hurray! :D). Anyway, my friend claims that Pixie Earring should replace Brutal for Rid/Joy because the DA becomes far less useful. I've heard of DEX setups with two swords before and especially for Vorpal Blade but I'm -very- skeptical. A quick search on FFXIAH item sets showed several setups like this where Brutal was replaced with other earrings. Can anyone shed some light on this or have the math? Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, it seems like a strange idea to me too.

ps. inb4 Great Axe

Edited, May 16th 2009 3:17pm by TheSecretOfHorutoto
#2 May 16 2009 at 11:02 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,804 posts
TheSecretOfHorutoto wrote:

ps. inb4 Great Axe



****.
____________________________
Mazmaz
Fenrir - San d'oria - Rank 9
75WAR/NIN (TP/WS)
Merits


bsphil wrote:
I suppose I could also call it "smallifying numberitude" but that sounds incredibly ***. Like, milich youtube playlist ***.
#3 May 16 2009 at 11:14 AM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
No.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#4 May 16 2009 at 11:22 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
473 posts
Suppa/Pixie: No.

Suppa/Assault: Ok for ridill/joyeuse setup (TP gain only, weaponskill in brutal)

Edited, May 16th 2009 3:24pm by Demonviper
____________________________
Demonviper :-
90 war, 90 rdm, 90 pld, 90 nin
#5 May 16 2009 at 11:25 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,551 posts
I'd still wear brutal for ws at least. I'm pretty lazy about my ws macros, so I try to swap as few things as possible because of lolps2 macro limitations and me only wanting to hit one macro. Can't swap earrings so I just fulltime brutal/assault on war regardless (too lazy to bother with DM ever again).

If anything I'd use assault earring over a pixie earring. Let the thfs have their pixie earrings since they have a direct use for it. Wars get very little out of it, namely just the acc from the associated dex+. A crit build built on dex is a bit silly as it won't really work on any mob that actually matters, and I don't count stupid pink birds as anything but merit pinatas.

In the end you'd probably be better off with assault/suppa for tp and brutal/suppa for ws. Have fun with the sword-chucks.


~Ori
#6 May 16 2009 at 12:55 PM Rating: Good
**
515 posts
Check out Hollow earring if you want Accuracy and DEX. Or yeah Assault is good too.

Edit: Our=Out.. **** typo sorry.


Edited, May 16th 2009 5:06pm by Skarwind
____________________________
Main: DRG75/RNG75/DRK75/WAR75/SAM75/MNK65
Quote:
The best way to farm ***** is as Thf or with /thf. You start off sneaking up behind the **** and sneak attack it, sneak attack makes sure you end up hitting the **** from behind as hard as you can.

After that just start whacking the ****. Be careful though, the more you whack the **** the more likely to hit you with one of its nasty attacks. The last thing you want while you're face to face with a big **** is to end up


#7 May 16 2009 at 1:02 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
Avatar
*****
10,815 posts
Skarwind wrote:
Check our Hollow earring if you want Accuracy and DEX. Or yeah Assault is good too.


this, unless you're a committed PLD or DRG soloer. don't let ethereal's prevalence fool you into thinking it's any more than a spike earring.
____________________________
pahn
retired monk

i wish to be the red comet.
#8 May 16 2009 at 5:32 PM Rating: Excellent
******
49,744 posts
The only jobs I can think of that can make any use out of the Pixie Earring are Thief and Blue Mage, and I have my doubts on Blue Mage.

When I Swordchucked, I tended to use my Assault Earring instead of Brutal when I remembered it. I will say that using Brutal out of habit won't hurt you.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#9 May 16 2009 at 6:27 PM Rating: Decent
**
399 posts
bsphil wrote:
No.


This post is really unhelpful.

But thanks to everyone else for the useful advice and input :). I really wasn't sure about dropping the Brutal Earring for TP but you've help convince me otherwise. I already have Assault Earring from GAX, so I'll probably use that. Any more tips for boosting my damage output with this setup are greatly appreciated.

Cheers

ps. I'll look into Hollow earring but it might be difficult to put down Ethereal since I have PLD. There's always Augmented Spinel Earring though.

Edited, May 16th 2009 10:34pm by TheSecretOfHorutoto
#10 May 16 2009 at 6:57 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,141 posts
It doesn't matter how good it is. No real warrior would wear something called a pixie earring.
____________________________
.
#11 May 16 2009 at 9:14 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,054 posts
Quote:
The only jobs I can think of that can make any use out of the Pixie Earring are Thief and Blue Mage, and I have my doubts on Blue Mage.


As far as casting the big3: suppo (4-5acc) and hollow are the best
pixie, then triumph are next (depending on where
fSTR breaks out)
____________________________
Quote:
You can't transform numbers into other numbers like that. It'd just go on forever. That's like witchcraft.


There's one guy I know who
Quote:
is a big deal now.
#12 May 16 2009 at 11:07 PM Rating: Default
**
359 posts
Pixie Earring is just lame hollow, fowling, assault, and **** even diabolos are better. Just because gear drops off KB does not make it good, only thf really should use it.

I know you're saying inb4 GAX but /Nin really will really make your damage cry. Ridill should be mainly used for 1 thing now, drk zerg. It's not terrible or anything but Ridill Wars are far from the pinnacle of their full potential.
____________________________
"Now! This is it! NOW is the time to choose. Die, and be free of pain; or LIVE, and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories. Your fate is in your hands!"
- Auron

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?92889
#13 May 17 2009 at 1:03 AM Rating: Good
**
894 posts
OrsonBastokChampion wrote:
I know you're saying inb4 GAX but /Nin really will really make your damage cry. Ridill should be mainly used for 1 thing now, drk zerg. It's not terrible or anything but Ridill Wars are far from the pinnacle of their full potential.

Ridill for DRK zerg only, wth? The DRK is better off spending 2.5m on a merc.kris than waste the HNMLS's time camping fafhor for a ridill.

OP, Hollow or Assault earring and WS in Brutal imo.
____________________________
Ranger Slugwinder
Leathercraft99
DRG75 | BST75 | RNG75 | THF75 | PUP75 | NIN75/WS | BLM75
{SCH} {Can i have it?}
Sequdaz @Ragnarok
#14 May 17 2009 at 1:08 AM Rating: Default
**
359 posts
Sequ wrote:
Ridill for DRK zerg only, wth? The DRK is better off spending 2.5m on a merc.kris than waste the HNMLS's time camping fafhor for a ridill.


I know that and no where did I say ridill was the best zerg weapon but if you have it from before it's pretty **** good for free.

Edited, May 17th 2009 2:08am by OrsonBastokChampion
____________________________
"Now! This is it! NOW is the time to choose. Die, and be free of pain; or LIVE, and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories. Your fate is in your hands!"
- Auron

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?92889
#15 May 17 2009 at 1:45 AM Rating: Excellent
***
3,959 posts
OrsonBastokChampion wrote:
Sequ wrote:
Ridill for DRK zerg only, wth? The DRK is better off spending 2.5m on a merc.kris than waste the HNMLS's time camping fafhor for a ridill.


I know that and no where did I say ridill was the best zerg weapon but if you have it from before it's pretty **** good for free.

Edited, May 17th 2009 2:08am by OrsonBastokChampion
free in the sense you still have to constantly camp Fafnir for it, you mean?
____________________________
LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH
#16 May 17 2009 at 3:22 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,726 posts
Depending how often one zergs, and whether one has other jobs which can use it, I can see some drks "settling" for a Ridill. Sure, M. Kris will do better, but if you're only zerging once a month, and have warrior also, what's so wrong with a Ridill? IMO, nothing. Especially as you're most likely camping Faffhogg for other drops, too, for other people in your LS.
____________________________
I has a journal. It has nice things. - updated whenever

war/nin/rdm/thf/brd/pld/mnk/drg/smn/sam/dnc/bone100/maat's cap/phoenix
( ')< shadow duck approves of this message.

Findanniin wrote:
"Last reply Mithradoom. Well, someone had to go rain on the happy parade" was exactly what went through my head. xD


Keliaffxi wrote:

ITT: The Gimpire Strikes Back
#17 May 17 2009 at 5:59 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
473 posts
OrsonBastokChampion wrote:
Pixie Earring is just lame hollow, fowling, assault, and **** even diabolos are better. Just because gear drops off KB does not make it good, only thf really should use it.

I know you're saying inb4 GAX but /Nin really will really make your damage cry. Ridill should be mainly used for 1 thing now, drk zerg. It's not terrible or anything but Ridill Wars are far from the pinnacle of their full potential.


Greataxe only (just like dual wield only before it) bugs me. Man/joy, man/ridill & ridill/joy builds still work very well, even my current man/joy setup (the weakest of the 3) has yet to be outparsed /nin against /nin in merits by a greataxe war with gear close to my own.


As for /nin killing your damage, being dead kills it more. You should sub whatever works best in a given situation & you use whatever weapons suit you & the situation you're using them in. If you only ever sub /sam, you may aswell level something else because you missed the point of the job.






Edited, May 17th 2009 10:09am by Demonviper
____________________________
Demonviper :-
90 war, 90 rdm, 90 pld, 90 nin
#18 May 17 2009 at 6:35 AM Rating: Good
***
3,144 posts
Quote:
unless you're a committed PLD or DRG soloer. don't let ethereal's prevalence fool you into thinking it's any more than a spike earring.


Diabolos's Earring RareExclusive
[Ear] All Races
Accuracy + 3
Dark Weather:
Accuracy -3 Magic Accuracy +2
Lv. 65 All Jobs

Hollow Earring RareExclusive
[Ear] All Races
DEX +2 Accuracy +3 Ranged Accuracy +3
Sword enhancement spell damage +3
Lv. 72 All Jobs

I use diabolo's earring on jobs that i cant use the assault earring or fowling on or w/e. the ethereal earrings unique stat was too good to pass up when the stats of hollow are just a little better than diabolo's. But yea really hollow is the best choice for your slot atm.



Edited, May 17th 2009 2:36pm by Xellith
____________________________
75BLM 75PLD 75RDM 75WAR 75MNK 75NIN 75THF 75SAM 75BRD 75RNG 75DRK 75SMN, 75DRG 75DNC 75WHM 75COR 75BST 75BLU 75PUP 75SCH - # of summoner burns = 0

http://sizedd.freeforums.org/

Quote a few months before the mass salvage banning:
couerlmaster wrote:
And stfu with the banstick, this is hardly traceable and so widespread throughout the EG community there's nothing SE can do w/o banning half the EG community on every server


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0O8qb58bHY
#19 May 17 2009 at 6:40 AM Rating: Good
***
2,626 posts
I hope all the THF's in your LS already have Pixie earring if it has dropped to a WAR.

Pixie's is thf's little special.

In Regards to DEX setup, Only 1-2 Jobs should even consider that, and even then, it requires items that are very tough to get: Hachiryu Kote, Ancients Torque, White Tathlum etc.

____________________________
Taking a break.
#20 May 17 2009 at 9:06 AM Rating: Excellent
****
4,906 posts
Pixie is like near free lot >.> I got mine for 1 point, which is just being at 1 window.
____________________________
MojoVIII wrote:
Sweet! I love being sigged
Spoonless wrote:
HOLY CRAP GIGANTIC SIG.

Caitsith
WAR excel sheet for damage calculations.
Advanced Spellcast Script for WAR.

Retired - sold 200m
#21 May 17 2009 at 9:11 AM Rating: Good
*
72 posts
Wouldn't Assault/Suppa work best for this anyway snice you get faster hits, and gain the Sword skill from Suppa? This is of course assuming you have suppa.
____________________________
FFXI:
Ogri - Lakshmi - 75WAR,75PLD,75NIN, 75MNK

FXIV
Ogri Brennski - Cerberus - 45WAR/MRD, 22GLD
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2402559/
#22 May 17 2009 at 11:11 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,726 posts
If you don't have Suppa, wtf are you doing using Swordchucks in the first place?
____________________________
I has a journal. It has nice things. - updated whenever

war/nin/rdm/thf/brd/pld/mnk/drg/smn/sam/dnc/bone100/maat's cap/phoenix
( ')< shadow duck approves of this message.

Findanniin wrote:
"Last reply Mithradoom. Well, someone had to go rain on the happy parade" was exactly what went through my head. xD


Keliaffxi wrote:

ITT: The Gimpire Strikes Back
#23 May 17 2009 at 11:43 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
473 posts
If you have ridill but no suppa there's something seriously wrong.
____________________________
Demonviper :-
90 war, 90 rdm, 90 pld, 90 nin
#24 May 17 2009 at 4:05 PM Rating: Good
**
399 posts
Demonviper wrote:
OrsonBastokChampion wrote:
Pixie Earring is just lame hollow, fowling, assault, and **** even diabolos are better. Just because gear drops off KB does not make it good, only thf really should use it.

I know you're saying inb4 GAX but /Nin really will really make your damage cry. Ridill should be mainly used for 1 thing now, drk zerg. It's not terrible or anything but Ridill Wars are far from the pinnacle of their full potential.


Greataxe only (just like dual wield only before it) bugs me. Man/joy, man/ridill & ridill/joy builds still work very well, even my current man/joy setup (the weakest of the 3) has yet to be outparsed /nin against /nin in merits by a greataxe war with gear close to my own.


As for /nin killing your damage, being dead kills it more. You should sub whatever works best in a given situation & you use whatever weapons suit you & the situation you're using them in. If you only ever sub /sam, you may aswell level something else because you missed the point of the job.


I wish more people would think like this. Yes, WAR/SAM with GAX has potential to do more damage. However, in the last few days, the kind of dmg I have been doing whilst /NIN, I would have been DEAD long before, if I was /SAM GAX.

Ridill allows you to maintain a decent damage output and still have a **** of a lot of survivability. It allows you to go all out, balls to the wall, like you wish you could on /SAM, equivalent of riding Hasso and Retaliation 100% of the time and not holding back in the slightest when you pull hate.

People really need to stop hating on Ridill. Yes, it's great that GAX is so good now but the amount of people that continue to put down Ridill just to make themselves feel better for not having it, is just stupid (Yes, I used to be one of these people.)

It dramatically increases the job, almost on par with how a relic weapon can change your play style completely (hi2u apoc). But sure, if you guys want to carry on thinking it's useless, that's fine by me. Makes it less likely to be nerfed <3.

The LS gave me a choice between either the first Ridill or the first E.Body. Statistically, yes, the E.Body is better and I'm sure if I posted a thread here asking for you guy's advice, I would have been told E.Body. However, I do not regret my decision in the slightest and I would most certainly do it again.

That said, I still use my Great Axe for high def situations and Polearm when necessary. Warrior is the master of many weapons, not the master of one.


Edit: Just wanted to add this. I always used to suffer from the following dilemma with Great Axe:

1) WAR/SAM would do great damage and pull so much hate that I would be an MP sink or struggle to stay alive. So I'd want to switch to /NIN

2) WAR/NIN would do lesser damage and I'd almost never pull hate unless I did so intentionally (and I don't exactly have bad gear). This pretty much made the sub pointless to use because I was never using Utsusemi anyway.

3) So I'd go back to /SAM and once again get beaten into the ground, so I'd want to go back to /NIN.

4) Loop

I no longer suffer from this problem because I just go /NIN when it's convenient and /SAM when it's not. My damage difference is minimal between the two.


Edit2: Just to clear things up, everyone else passed Pixie Earring and it was free lot. I realise that Pixie Earring sucks but this thread has been very helpful because it opened up my eyes to the possibility that Brutal Earring isn't the end all, be all. So, thanks :)

Edited, May 17th 2009 8:21pm by TheSecretOfHorutoto
#25 May 17 2009 at 8:22 PM Rating: Excellent
****
4,906 posts
I'd wager that, the dilemma is probably rooted in the fact that you're the only /SAM and everyone else is /NIN. If everyone is /SAM, you won't be the only one pulling hate constantly.
____________________________
MojoVIII wrote:
Sweet! I love being sigged
Spoonless wrote:
HOLY CRAP GIGANTIC SIG.

Caitsith
WAR excel sheet for damage calculations.
Advanced Spellcast Script for WAR.

Retired - sold 200m
#26 May 17 2009 at 10:03 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,793 posts
Good wars know when to /sam and when to /nin and know better than to suck down MP with hasso up when third eye and seigan are there waiting to be used.

Edited, May 18th 2009 2:05am by thatdamnelf
____________________________
The FFXI "community" needs an enima. If you doubt this, look at the forums on BG, ffxiah, and alla. If you STILL doubt this, visit 4chan. Note the similarities. Then light yourself on fire.

« Previous 1 2 3
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 1 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (1)