Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Apocolypse Nigh Earring etc.Follow

#1 May 03 2009 at 9:30 AM Rating: Excellent
*
217 posts
My static is going to be doing AN very soonish (we just beat Bahamut V1 today). Any input on what earring is best from AN? I use WAR 95% of the time but also have BST at 75 and RNG at 73. My next job to 75 is undetermined but probably NIN. I'm not 100% sure I'm even gonna choose an earring at this point, I may wait. Just curious what you guys think.

Edit: Also, I was told by a guy whose endgame shell I might apply to that I should merit WAR in the following order:

DA > Gaxe > STR > Berserk

I was planning to do:

DA > Gaxe > Berserk > WC > Aggr > STR

I was planning on doing STR last since it's so expensive. Any input?

Edited, May 3rd 2009 1:35pm by DodiOnMidgard
____________________________
Dodi on Midgardsormr
Moonlit Path / Odin's Guards
75 WAR: 4/4 crits | 5/5 DA/Berserk/Warrior's Charge | 8/8 Gaxe | 2/5 Toma
75 RNG: 6/8 Marksmanship
75 BST
37+ NIN SAM THF DNC WHM BLM

Current goals:
Assault rank up --> Perdu Voulge: Corporal 0/25
Nyzul --> 100 --> King's Justice: Floor 25

Bastok: 9-1
ZM, CoP, Apoc Nigh, ACP, MKT: Complete
ToAU: 44
WotG: ??
#2 May 03 2009 at 9:34 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
****
4,884 posts
If I were to choose a earring for war and war only, I'd probably choose hollow earring. We already have assault earring available to us so Ethereal is not all THAT useful, Hollow at least adds some additional acc beyond assault/fowling. though there are situations where you can use ethereal.

I didn't choose hollow,myself.

____________________________
Want to know what I am listening to? Click here for my Zune Profile!
lolgaxe wrote:
Lucinus wrote:
WARs do what they do best.

Provoke the foe and break it in half.
Coincidentally, that's how I met my wife.
#3 May 03 2009 at 9:58 AM Rating: Excellent
STR merits are for the meriter who has nothing left to bother with. You're right, dont bother with them until everything else is out of the way.

First thing, best thing to merit first as it makes the most significant impact with least amount of merits is crit hits, in the others catergory. There are only 4 levels and it makes a big difference.

After that I'd go DA or Gaxe like you said, then berserk. Then do warrior's charge. If you do events you may want to put a merit in warriors charge immediately to have it for opening ws on bosses and things. Then tomahawk and stuff, and finally, after you are bored to death of merits and have nothing else to merit whatsoever, look to str.
____________________________
Kirby the Eccentric wrote:
Mojo gets it Smiley: thumbsup
#4 May 03 2009 at 10:10 AM Rating: Excellent
*
217 posts
I forgot to mention I have 4/4 crits. Actually did that on BST what a grind compared to lolibri -.-

4/4 crits 2/5 DA 2/8 Gaxe so far

Thanks for the input guys.

Edited, May 3rd 2009 2:12pm by DodiOnMidgard
____________________________
Dodi on Midgardsormr
Moonlit Path / Odin's Guards
75 WAR: 4/4 crits | 5/5 DA/Berserk/Warrior's Charge | 8/8 Gaxe | 2/5 Toma
75 RNG: 6/8 Marksmanship
75 BST
37+ NIN SAM THF DNC WHM BLM

Current goals:
Assault rank up --> Perdu Voulge: Corporal 0/25
Nyzul --> 100 --> King's Justice: Floor 25

Bastok: 9-1
ZM, CoP, Apoc Nigh, ACP, MKT: Complete
ToAU: 44
WotG: ??
#5 May 03 2009 at 2:41 PM Rating: Excellent
******
41,257 posts
5/5 DA/Berserk is the current going "supreme" build as far as Warrior merits are concerned, if I remember correctly.

As far as AN is concerned, your best bet would be to pick an earring for another job. Since you have Beastmaster, and have eluded to your plans for Ninja, I'd suggest going with the one that returns a percentage of MP per damage, as both jobs situationally do use MP, anyway (BST/WHM and NIN/DRK). Its kind of irritating, but a lot of end game rewards don't really benefit Warrior that greatly.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#6 May 03 2009 at 2:46 PM Rating: Excellent
lolgaxe wrote:
5/5 DA/Berserk is the current going "supreme" build as far as Warrior merits are concerned, if I remember correctly.

As far as AN is concerned, your best bet would be to pick an earring for another job. Since you have Beastmaster, and have eluded to your plans for Ninja, I'd suggest going with the one that returns a percentage of MP per damage, as both jobs situationally do use MP, anyway (BST/WHM and NIN/DRK). Its kind of irritating, but a lot of end game rewards don't really benefit Warrior that greatly.
Again I say it, I'm going 4/3/3 just because I like my timers. The difference is miniscule, and it will be made up because I'm a better WAR than the guy with 5/5, because I'm so pro. Smiley: clown
____________________________
Kirby the Eccentric wrote:
Mojo gets it Smiley: thumbsup
#7 May 04 2009 at 8:32 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
****
4,884 posts
Monsieur MojoVIII wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
5/5 DA/Berserk is the current going "supreme" build as far as Warrior merits are concerned, if I remember correctly.

As far as AN is concerned, your best bet would be to pick an earring for another job. Since you have Beastmaster, and have eluded to your plans for Ninja, I'd suggest going with the one that returns a percentage of MP per damage, as both jobs situationally do use MP, anyway (BST/WHM and NIN/DRK). Its kind of irritating, but a lot of end game rewards don't really benefit Warrior that greatly.
Again I say it, I'm going 4/3/3 just because I like my timers. The difference is miniscule, and it will be made up because I'm a better WAR than the guy with 5/5, because I'm so pro. Smiley: clown


There is absolutely nothing wrong with 4/3/3, I have it myself right now.

Personally I think I am actually going to remove one aggressor merit before I go all out and do 5/5, just to see how accurate I am with handling off-kilter timers. Because basically; if you aren't spamming your berserk/agg macro then you lose the entire benefit of the extra time in the first place... Though that can be said for bergressor merits anyway.

I do love Berserk though, and I do love DA, so I have no problem doing it for the cause of being uber; and probably will when I get my merits more finalized. Still a ways off though.
____________________________
Want to know what I am listening to? Click here for my Zune Profile!
lolgaxe wrote:
Lucinus wrote:
WARs do what they do best.

Provoke the foe and break it in half.
Coincidentally, that's how I met my wife.
#8 May 10 2009 at 5:41 AM Rating: Good
**
399 posts
Hollow Earring is probably the best for WAR only. You should be using Assault Earring rather than Ethereal anyway. That said, I picked Ethereal because I was leveling PLD.

However, if you can get a decent Augmented Spinel Earring, then Hollow would be obsolete.

Ethereal still has some useful situations if you like to play around with weird subs on your WAR.

Edited, May 10th 2009 9:42am by TheSecretOfHorutoto
#9 May 10 2009 at 9:37 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
***
1,495 posts
DodiOnMidgard wrote:
My static is going to be doing AN very soonish (we just beat Bahamut V1 today). Any input on what earring is best from AN? I use WAR 95% of the time but also have BST at 75 and RNG at 73. My next job to 75 is undetermined but probably NIN. I'm not 100% sure I'm even gonna choose an earring at this point, I may wait. Just curious what you guys think.
I think the best advice I can give for this as war is: save your earring for other job, Ethereal isn't as good as our already available Assault earring, hollow should keep up more or less but the question is if you are ready to waste your choice for something that you can get already for 350k.

DodiOnMidgard wrote:
Edit: Also, I was told by a guy whose endgame shell I might apply to that I should merit WAR in the following order:

DA > Gaxe > STR > Berserk

I was planning to do:

DA > Gaxe > Berserk > WC > Aggr > STR

I was planning on doing STR last since it's so expensive. Any input?

Edited, May 3rd 2009 1:35pm by DodiOnMidgard
You should aim to 5DA/5Berserk since is mathematically the best option, however as Mojo said that set give you another timer to care about, it's more work but should be better once you get use to it, you know this... it's one of those things that require practice to get mastered(pro-tip put your ability timers in your Utsusemi/Third Eye macro).

Str as other have said should be the last thing to merit since is the most expensive with the smallest returns. In order of impact you can go GAxe=Berserk>DA>WC>Tomahawk>Str.

Sincerely.

Ken.
____________________________
"Maybe it means: you're the evil man, and I'm the righteous man, and Mr. Nine-millimeter here, he's the shepherd protecting my righteous ass in the Valley of Darkness." - Jules.
FFXIV: Mabel Rand (Gugnir)
FFXI: Kenage, retired.
K&K forever!,
#10 May 11 2009 at 2:41 AM Rating: Excellent
kenage wrote:
pro-tip put your ability timers in your Utsusemi/Third Eye macro).

You genius. Smiley: inlove


edit: lrn2quote

Edited, May 11th 2009 10:42am by MojoVIII
____________________________
Kirby the Eccentric wrote:
Mojo gets it Smiley: thumbsup
#11 May 11 2009 at 5:18 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
***
1,495 posts
Monsieur MojoVIII wrote:
kenage wrote:
pro-tip put your ability timers in your Utsusemi/Third Eye macro).

You genius. Smiley: inlove


edit: lrn2quote

Edited, May 11th 2009 10:42am by MojoVIII
To be fair, I just stole that for Cor forums >.>; ability timers on ranged attack macro.
____________________________
"Maybe it means: you're the evil man, and I'm the righteous man, and Mr. Nine-millimeter here, he's the shepherd protecting my righteous ass in the Valley of Darkness." - Jules.
FFXIV: Mabel Rand (Gugnir)
FFXI: Kenage, retired.
K&K forever!,
#12 May 12 2009 at 7:35 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
****
4,884 posts
rdms have been putting /recast refresh; /recast convert; /recast xxx in their macros for years :p
____________________________
Want to know what I am listening to? Click here for my Zune Profile!
lolgaxe wrote:
Lucinus wrote:
WARs do what they do best.

Provoke the foe and break it in half.
Coincidentally, that's how I met my wife.
#13 May 12 2009 at 7:59 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,054 posts
Before I started my WAR merits I ran though some % gain per merit point dependant on merit mobs, assuming GA.

Rough % increase in damage per merit type (individual gearing might change slightly):

GA: 1.55%

DA: 0.85%

ZERK: 0.52%

STR: 0.52% (0.41 during melee, 0.62 during KJ and assuming 50/50 parse)

AGG: 0.37% (assuming aggresor caps acc)

Warrior's Charge fully merited should add around 2% to your total damage, but this was figured assuming several things, here are some of them: my gear, 50% haste, swinging 85% of 5 minutes, double attack fully merited, only using WC during WS.

EDIT - messed up one calculation on WS

Edited, May 12th 2009 6:20pm by doctorugh
____________________________
Quote:
You can't transform numbers into other numbers like that. It'd just go on forever. That's like witchcraft.


There's one guy I know who
Quote:
is a big deal now.
#14 May 12 2009 at 9:35 AM Rating: Excellent
LordMnementh wrote:
rdms have been putting /recast refresh; /recast convert; /recast xxx in their macros for years :p
That's strange, Mojos have been doing it since May 11th 2009 5:37am.
____________________________
Kirby the Eccentric wrote:
Mojo gets it Smiley: thumbsup
#15 May 12 2009 at 9:36 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
384 posts
Bah... I was 5/5 Berserk/Aggressor, 8/8 Axe, and 8/8 Sword before the 2-handed update. There is no way that I am wiping out 21 merits just so I can follow the latest trend. I keep holding out hope that SE will give me more combat skill merits before I have to start deleting the ones I have, but my faith is starting to falter.
____________________________
Drunktexan of Phoenix ~ Mithra

Monsieur MojoVIII wrote:
I campaign like I make love.



Naked and bellowing while swinging my large weapon at ugly things.
#16 May 12 2009 at 9:43 AM Rating: Excellent
bmstreet wrote:
Bah... I was 5/5 Berserk/Aggressor, 8/8 Axe, and 8/8 Sword before the 2-handed update. There is no way that I am wiping out 21 merits just so I can follow the latest trend. I keep holding out hope that SE will give me more combat skill merits before I have to start deleting the ones I have, but my faith is starting to falter.
Just go 4/4 available on Gaxe and that set up should do you fine. It isn't quite as optimal as a 5DA 5zerk set up, but as long as you have the skillz you will do better than most! Smiley: grin
____________________________
Kirby the Eccentric wrote:
Mojo gets it Smiley: thumbsup
#17 May 12 2009 at 10:51 AM Rating: Good
*****
15,246 posts
I've only gone 6/6 Gaxe merits. I have 8/8 h2h already and those are staying put because of how h2h works. Saving my last 6 for Katana. :3
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#18 May 13 2009 at 8:20 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
****
4,884 posts
Quote:
Bah... I was 5/5 Berserk/Aggressor, 8/8 Axe, and 8/8 Sword before the 2-handed update. There is no way that I am wiping out 21 merits just so I can follow the latest trend. I keep holding out hope that SE will give me more combat skill merits before I have to start deleting the ones I have, but my faith is starting to falter.

Well, as far as weapon merits go, I wouldn't tell you to wipe those out. But as for a "trend" 5/5 Zerk/DA is not a "trend," it is mathematically better in all situations than 5/5 Agg/Zerk. Including Ridill/Joy (though it is MUCH less worth it for that... it's still slightly better.) Not saying you should go out and change right now, just that it has always been that way, and now we know that.

Edited, May 13th 2009 12:20pm by LordMnementh
____________________________
Want to know what I am listening to? Click here for my Zune Profile!
lolgaxe wrote:
Lucinus wrote:
WARs do what they do best.

Provoke the foe and break it in half.
Coincidentally, that's how I met my wife.
#19 May 13 2009 at 3:55 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
986 posts
kenage wrote:
You should aim to 5DA/5Berserk since is mathematically the best option


I'll disagree with this slightly and just say it's "unknown", since the last thread about group 1 merits didn't account at all for the TP>damage factor or the advantage of having both abilities up at the same time. Some day (maybe after finals) I'll do a more thorough comparison including these two factors. Though it's true aggressor had a bit of ground to recover before it could compete.
____________________________
Eltio - Bastokan Galka of Hades Server
lvl 75 {dirty}

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

Tokitoki wrote:
Is Pikko secretly Eltio?
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 14 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (14)