Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Skill up areas?Follow

#1 Oct 17 2011 at 3:56 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
674 posts
Looking for a good place to cap my Elemental Skill. My BLM is currently lvl 80, but I'm still about 20 skill levels below cap. Rather than get to 95 and have to make up for an even bigger deficit, I want to cap it now so I can keep it in check as I level up.

Unfortunately, I used to skill up from Zvahl Fortalices but I can now destroy them too quickly with even my weakest spells (I was casting Stone naked using Austere's Staff for the -15% damage and STILL decimating it at rapid pace). Is this still the best way to skill up, or is there another relatively safe way to cap my magic skills? Suggestions welcomed.
____________________________

FFXI: Seiowan Lvl 99 WHM, SCH, BLM
#2 Oct 17 2011 at 4:14 PM Rating: Excellent
****
5,645 posts
Glitterhands wrote:
Looking for a good place to cap my Elemental Skill. My BLM is currently lvl 80, but I'm still about 20 skill levels below cap. Rather than get to 95 and have to make up for an even bigger deficit, I want to cap it now so I can keep it in check as I level up.

Unfortunately, I used to skill up from Zvahl Fortalices but I can now destroy them too quickly with even my weakest spells (I was casting Stone naked using Austere's Staff for the -15% damage and STILL decimating it at rapid pace). Is this still the best way to skill up, or is there another relatively safe way to cap my magic skills? Suggestions welcomed.

Go into an Abyssea zone with worms. Use a sub that gives you Silence. Just watch out for ephemeral aggro.
____________________________
Lyonheart, like Eorzia, will be reborn in FFXIV!

FFXI veteran (Lyonheart and Lakiskline of Lakshmi)
1/467 on signed HQ Weskit!!!
#3 Oct 18 2011 at 1:06 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
272 posts
Join any Abyssea exp alliance and nuke stuff.
____________________________
Free Tibet!*

*With purchase of an additional Tibet of equal or greater value
#4 Oct 18 2011 at 3:25 PM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,807 posts
Even if you cap it now, you're not going to be able to keep your skill capped as you level. Modern xp is just too fast.

Go into abyssea, nuke the **** out of stuff, open the chests, profit. If you're standing around nuking things that don't drop anything valuable and don't give xp, then you really are wasting a significant opportunity.
____________________________
VxSote: "He Who Stands in Smoking Crater"
BLM, WHM, RNG, RDM, SCH, NIN 99 -- Fenrir (Unicorn) -- Gold 100+, Synergy 80, all subs 60+.
Another Look at Conserve MP
Leader, Screwdriver Dynamis Linkshell
#5 Oct 18 2011 at 11:20 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
674 posts
VxSote wrote:
Even if you cap it now, you're not going to be able to keep your skill capped as you level. Modern xp is just too fast.

Go into abyssea, nuke the **** out of stuff, open the chests, profit. If you're standing around nuking things that don't drop anything valuable and don't give xp, then you really are wasting a significant opportunity.

True, but being a level 95 BLM with horrible elemental skill is equally wasteful. I'll still be required to spam spells on mobs to cap it out one way or another, but at least one way I'll be significantly more useful to the team while levelling.

The way I tend to play is to switch to merits when I level (after a buffer, naturally) then cap elemental skill and switch back to XP. This way I can keep skills capped to the best of my ability, and earn useful merits to increase my potential in other areas. Unfortunately, until 75 this wasn't an option and I wanted level 80 for various spells and skills from support jobs. Since the majority of XP these days comes from either page burning or Abyssea, there was a huge deficit in elemental skill made only slightly better by the use of Dark Arts from Scholar sub.

I hate leeching XP. It's too boring. I'd much rather make a meaningful contribution.
____________________________

FFXI: Seiowan Lvl 99 WHM, SCH, BLM
#6 Oct 19 2011 at 6:15 AM Rating: Excellent
The best way to cap elemental magic is to go on NM runs in Aby. Spam your elemental debuffs (frost, rasp, drown, etc) and work on proccing said NM for seals/+2 items. I didn't worry about skills going from 90-95 because the xp was rolling just way too fast. But I was able to cap my skill without even realizing it, because I am always on blm for NM runs. It's really not too bad.

I would suggest doing the worm method for both leveling and skilling because it is quite effective.
____________________________
~Elspetta~
99 BLM WHM RDM SCH SMN BRD THF DNC WAR
Phoenix
~~Remember the Titans~~
#7 Oct 19 2011 at 11:23 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
***
1,807 posts
Glitterhands wrote:
True, but being a level 95 BLM with horrible elemental skill is equally wasteful.

Not at all. All other things (such as elemental skill) being equal, a 95 BLM will have ~15 more INT than an 80 BLM, along with more HP, MP, etc. If you deliberately avoid getting XP because you don't want to level, then all you're doing is further gimping yourself unnecessarily.

Glitterhands wrote:
I hate leeching XP. It's too boring. I'd much rather make a meaningful contribution.

This tells me that we are not remotely on the same page about how to be useful as BLM. Never did I suggest that you should leech XP. You need to go blow **** up, and when you do, pick the most productive mobs possible. Even if you are solo, you will level faster than your skill. If you want to make a contribution to others in the process, then invite them to come leech, keybitch for you, w/e. If you're doing it right, I guarantee it won't be boring.
____________________________
VxSote: "He Who Stands in Smoking Crater"
BLM, WHM, RNG, RDM, SCH, NIN 99 -- Fenrir (Unicorn) -- Gold 100+, Synergy 80, all subs 60+.
Another Look at Conserve MP
Leader, Screwdriver Dynamis Linkshell
#8 Oct 19 2011 at 10:56 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
674 posts
VxSote wrote:
Glitterhands wrote:
True, but being a level 95 BLM with horrible elemental skill is equally wasteful.

Not at all. All other things (such as elemental skill) being equal, a 95 BLM will have ~15 more INT than an 80 BLM, along with more HP, MP, etc. If you deliberately avoid getting XP because you don't want to level, then all you're doing is further gimping yourself unnecessarily

Glitterhands wrote:
I hate leeching XP. It's too boring. I'd much rather make a meaningful contribution.

This tells me that we are not remotely on the same page about how to be useful as BLM. Never did I suggest that you should leech XP. You need to go blow sh*t up, and when you do, pick the most productive mobs possible. Even if you are solo, you will level faster than your skill. If you want to make a contribution to others in the process, then invite them to come leech, keybitch for you, w/e. If you're doing it right, I guarantee it won't be boring.

Perhaps you're missing something rather obvious here. Higher level doesn't mean higher skill. Lower skill means not doing a thing to the monster you're attacking. Sorry, but firing off those higher level nukes won't make a dent in a high level monster without the skill to back it up. Unlike other mages, I'm not happy with having every single nuke resisted and dealing rubbish damage. It's not only embarassing, it's a complete waste of the teams time.

Currently, I'm resisted on 9/10 nukes in a party. This is using AF gloves for +15 elemental skill AND +16 elemental skill from capped merits. The only spells I can land which deal remote damage to the popular XP mob, Sand Crawlers, are Thunder spells, and even those are resisted to 50% damage. My Blizzard IV usually lands for a measly 200-300 damage. I have capped merits in Ice and Thunder potency. Incidentally, I'm also at a point now where Dark Arts no longer enhances my elemental magic skill.

Yes, I could remain /SCH to 95 and stick with it until my Elemental Magic catches up, but it will still be massively underpar compared to a 'proper' BLM because Dark Arts doesn't cap skills, just enhances them to around a C-B rating (It's only truly B rating when you're capped). The truth is though, I don't want to remain as /SCH. There are far more utility spells from other support jobs which benefit not only myself, but other jobs as well.

Regardless of whether I'm 'gimping' myself or not, I am a proud person by nature. Not being able to do a job to the fullest extent of my abilities just makes me want to push it much farther until I can. It might be a little non conformist, but at least when I hit 95 I won't need to spend eternity making up for lost time.

Edited for clarity

Edited, Oct 20th 2011 1:00am by Glitterhands
____________________________

FFXI: Seiowan Lvl 99 WHM, SCH, BLM
#9 Oct 20 2011 at 1:46 AM Rating: Good
Too drunk to come up with a cogent, all-encompassing response to your many conflicting and irrational assertions/beliefs, so I will say only this:

Quote:
the popular XP mob, Sand Crawlers

There is no such mob, so I don't even.


Edited, Oct 20th 2011 1:18am by tertoonetwothreefour
____________________________
There are two kinds of people in FFXI, those doing the laughing and those who don't know what's funny.
#10 Oct 20 2011 at 5:58 AM Rating: Good
I completely understand wanting to have capped skills. I personally pride myself in having all blue numbers under the magic category. It drives me crazy that healing and divine aren't capped on whm.

The problem with your theory is that you aren't taking level difference into account. Once you level you will do more dmg. Even with gimped skill because of the level difference between you and the mob. I'm not going to go into the whole dINT thing because while I get theory I don't always get the maths and don't want to get it wrong.

If you are seeing resists in bliz 4, use you elemental debuffs to lower the mobs INT and MND first. Then shoot off the nuke.

I'm not sure why your numbers are so low at level 80 when your skills aren't that far behind. At 75 I was able to azure kill no problem by timing my nukes and dropping 1.5~2k nukes. And this was before I had any atmas.

If you are only getting 200~300 for bliz 4 then maybe you should let us know what you nuking gear set is, what atmas you are using, and what mobs you are fighting. And iirc you want to pile on the MAB and INT before the elemental skill because they are more beneficial ... again I don't know the exact comparisons off the top of my head.
____________________________
~Elspetta~
99 BLM WHM RDM SCH SMN BRD THF DNC WAR
Phoenix
~~Remember the Titans~~
#11 Oct 20 2011 at 2:46 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
***
1,807 posts
Glitterhands wrote:
Perhaps you're missing something rather obvious here . . . Currently, I'm resisted on 9/10 nukes in a party.
Or perhaps you are doing something terribly, horribly wrong. First, are you in a party with people 90-95? And by "Sand Crawler", did you mean "Sand Sweeper"? And is your group or another group driving the level of the mobs to VT+ to 95? Because that just isn't going to work out well for you. Forget joining a party where other people are killing stuff. You need to start off solo, and you need to target mobs that are at the appropriate level. Whatever you choose, if you can't kill them, you are wasting your time.

Next, if your skill is above the floor from arts, then it isn't terrible. With decent atmas, abyssites, and staves, you should NOT be having a major problem. Do you have these things? Are you sure you know which ones you need?
Glitterhands wrote:
Higher level doesn't mean higher skill
No, but it means higher INT, and higher INT means higher damage and fewer resists. It's not a lot, but it DOES help.
Glitterhands wrote:
Yes, I could remain /SCH to 95 . . . The truth is though, I don't want to remain as /SCH.
Well, that's good at least. /RDM or GTFO (as far as soloing/xp goes, anyhow).

A few corrections:
Elspetta wrote:
The problem with your theory is that you aren't taking level difference into account. Once you level you will do more dmg. Even with gimped skill because of the level difference between you and the mob. I'm not going to go into the whole dINT thing because while I get theory I don't always get the maths and don't want to get it wrong.
This is quite misleading. There is no level correction function for magic damage. The ONLY differences in magic damage (to a mob) you see as you level are due to dINT. And in abyssea, most of the time you can expect to be in the dINT range where +2 INT increases your magic land rate by 1%, as well increasing your damage directly.

Elspetta wrote:
If you are seeing resists in bliz 4, use you elemental debuffs to lower the mobs INT and MND first. Then shoot off the nuke.
Using Burn to reduce the mob's INT will help. Using Shock to decrease the mob's MND will have no effect on BLM nukes.

Elspetta wrote:
And iirc you want to pile on the MAB and INT before the elemental skill because they are more beneficial
No. MAB has no effect on resist rates. Elemental skill always gives 1:1 magic accuracy, where INT gives between 1:1 and 2:1. Most of the time in abyssea, you'll be looking at 2:1, so a point of INT is only half as effective as a point of elemental skill or direct m.acc.


Edited, Oct 20th 2011 5:58pm by VxSote
____________________________
VxSote: "He Who Stands in Smoking Crater"
BLM, WHM, RNG, RDM, SCH, NIN 99 -- Fenrir (Unicorn) -- Gold 100+, Synergy 80, all subs 60+.
Another Look at Conserve MP
Leader, Screwdriver Dynamis Linkshell
#12 Oct 20 2011 at 7:52 PM Rating: Good
VxSote wrote:
A few corrections:
Elspetta wrote:
The problem with your theory is that you aren't taking level difference into account. Once you level you will do more dmg. Even with gimped skill because of the level difference between you and the mob. I'm not going to go into the whole dINT thing because while I get theory I don't always get the maths and don't want to get it wrong.
This is quite misleading. There is no level correction function for magic damage. The ONLY differences in magic damage (to a mob) you see as you level are due to dINT. And in abyssea, most of the time you can expect to be in the dINT range where +2 INT increases your magic land rate by 1%, as well increasing your damage directly.

Wouldn't this essentially mean the same thing? As you level, your base INT goes up, therefore increasing the dINT between you and the mob. I think we are saying the same thing, but with different wording.

Elspetta wrote:
If you are seeing resists in bliz 4, use you elemental debuffs to lower the mobs INT and MND first. Then shoot off the nuke.
Using Burn to reduce the mob's INT will help. Using Shock to decrease the mob's MND will have no effect on BLM nukes.[/quote]
Agreed, MND won't help, but I'm just in the habit of stacking elemental debuffs, so I always do 3. Usually I do the Frost, Rasp, Drown triliogy, but if the mob nukes hard, debuffs, or resists nukes or enfeebles, then I do Burn, Choke, Shock.

Elspetta wrote:
And iirc you want to pile on the MAB and INT before the elemental skill because they are more beneficial
No. MAB has no effect on resist rates. Elemental skill always gives 1:1 magic accuracy, where INT gives between 1:1 and 2:1. Most of the time in abyssea, you'll be looking at 2:1, so a point of INT is only half as effective as a point of elemental skill or direct m.acc.[/quote]
Thanks for this. I only ever saw large resists under 75 in Aby, once I hit 75~80 I wasn't seeing the resists that the OP is referring to. I wore MAB/INT gear with some elemental skill gear.
____________________________
~Elspetta~
99 BLM WHM RDM SCH SMN BRD THF DNC WAR
Phoenix
~~Remember the Titans~~
#13 Oct 20 2011 at 9:53 PM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,807 posts
Elspetta wrote:
Wouldn't this essentially mean the same thing? As you level, your base INT goes up, therefore increasing the dINT between you and the mob. I think we are saying the same thing, but with different wording.
The problem is that there IS a level correction function for melee damage. Damage is modified directly "because of the level difference between you and the mob" in that case, whereas it's only an indirect modification for nukes (via dINT). Hence why I labeled your statement as misleading, but stopped short of saying that it was completely wrong.

To be thorough, I should probably also mention that a mob's magic evasion also increases with level, but since we're talking about the effect that a PC leveling has (when skill stays the same) vs. a static mob, that doesn't come into play.

Edited, Oct 20th 2011 11:55pm by VxSote
____________________________
VxSote: "He Who Stands in Smoking Crater"
BLM, WHM, RNG, RDM, SCH, NIN 99 -- Fenrir (Unicorn) -- Gold 100+, Synergy 80, all subs 60+.
Another Look at Conserve MP
Leader, Screwdriver Dynamis Linkshell
#14 Oct 20 2011 at 11:09 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
674 posts
Elspetta wrote:
If you are seeing resists in bliz 4, use you elemental debuffs to lower the mobs INT and MND first. Then shoot off the nuke.

If I really must point out the obvious, then I shall. Please do not take offense to this. The elemental debuffs are exactly that, elemental. This means that they actually rely on Elemental Skill to land and work. It stands to reason, therefore, if I'm being resisted by the majority of my spells that I am also highly likely to be resisted casting these elemental debuffs. A resisted Burn is a waste of time I could spend casting a nuke instead.

As an addendum to this, I'm a tarutaru with merited INT using Cruor enhancements and Atma of the Minikin Monstrosity. My INT is very high, and is very noticeable in the damage when I land nukes unresisted. While I don't doubt that Sand Sweepers (thank you for the correction, by the way) have potentially greater INT I do not believe INT is as big a problem as Elemental Skill, which has a far more pronounced impact on casting spells when not up to par.

Elspetta wrote:
I'm not sure why your numbers are so low at level 80 when your skills aren't that far behind. At 75 I was able to azure kill no problem by timing my nukes and dropping 1.5~2k nukes. And this was before I had any atmas.

If I had the answer to that, I could give it to you. I do not. I will say, however, that my Thunder IV spells usually land for around 1k, and Burst II up to 1200 when resisted. Unresisted nukes on those hit for 1700~ for Thunder IV or 2100 Burst II. The 1k mark remains my average damage for Thunder IV though. Elemental Seal guarantees a hit for the full damage, naturally, which I usually use for Freeze II because of Atma of the Beyond for a total of 2700 damage. Resisted damage, with the same nuke, comes to 300-400. That's the 'average' by the way, using Aquilo's Staff.

Another member of my last team claimed they had 330 elemental skill and were still seeing resists consistently. Mine is currently at 324 with all enhancements considered. It should be at 332 (including AF gloves), so I still have another 8 levels of skill to gain.

Elspetta wrote:
If you are only getting 200~300 for bliz 4 then maybe you should let us know what you nuking gear set is, what atmas you are using, and what mobs you are fighting. And iirc you want to pile on the MAB and INT before the elemental skill because they are more beneficial ... again I don't know the exact comparisons off the top of my head.

Okay, here's my gear setup:

Main: HQ Elemental Staff (Aquilo's, Auster's etc)
Sub: Bugard Strap +1
Ammo: Morrion Tathlum
Neck: Artemis' Medal
Head: Teal Chapeau
Body: Teal Saio
Legs: Teal Slops
Feet: Wizard's Sabots (Yeah, they suck but so does most other gear at my level, and I like the 20% interrupt down and enmity)
Hands: Wizard's Gloves (For the elemental skill)
Rings: Aquilo's Ring x2 (Fire res down sucks, but you can't help love that INT)
Earring: Morion Earring + Moldavite Earring (Trying to replace Morion with Aquilo's, but they're rarely on sale)
Back: Prism Cape
Waist: Penitents Rope

I'm welcoming improvements to my gear, so feel free to point out any sticking points I might have with either resist rate or damage. I wasn't really trying to turn this into a debate, just trying to get advice on capping skills. I still fully intend to cap my skills so at least I'll be secure in the knowledge that there's less work to do later.

Edit: Fixed wall of text

Edited, Oct 21st 2011 1:10am by Glitterhands
____________________________

FFXI: Seiowan Lvl 99 WHM, SCH, BLM
#15 Oct 21 2011 at 3:03 AM Rating: Decent
Just join an alli and get it over with, and I can gurantee you you will be level 95 wth capped skill within 8 hours. SUCK IT THE @#%^ UP. Really, this sh*t isn't even important enough to discuss.

And no, I didn't read any of your response.

Edited, Oct 21st 2011 2:41am by tertoonetwothreefour
____________________________
There are two kinds of people in FFXI, those doing the laughing and those who don't know what's funny.
#16 Oct 21 2011 at 5:02 AM Rating: Good
All in all, it sounds like you are determined to skillup before moving on, regardless of what anyone says. So ... other than my first response of skilling up on NMs, I would suggest joining an Aby La Thiene worm party, put yourself on limit points, and go to town. Once your skills are to your satisfaction, then change to xp. To keep up your skills, don't do the limit breaks (if you haven't already on another job) and just keep skilling up until you are comfortable moving on. The benefits of a party are going to outweigh being solo because you will be building your lights, getting constant temp items, and TE. If you are in the party long enough, you would probably be able to just sleep in the zone and start back up the next day with your lights/xp/cruor already capped.

If you are determined to do it solo, you could also go back to the Zvahl Fortalices, but instead of casting actual nukes, just cycle through your elemental debuffs. The DoT will still kill them eventually, but it should be much slower than nuking them since they take enhanced magic damage.
____________________________
~Elspetta~
99 BLM WHM RDM SCH SMN BRD THF DNC WAR
Phoenix
~~Remember the Titans~~
#17 Oct 21 2011 at 11:34 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
***
1,807 posts
Are you only using MM+Beyond? If you only have 2 lunar abyssites, then drop Beyond for Ultimate or another magic accuracy atma.

Do you have any Furtherance abyssites? Get them.

Assuming that spending time on ra/ex gear isn't a priority for you:
-Trade in your morion tathlum for a phantom tathlum at least (3k).
-Use an elemental torque instead of your Artemis' during most moon phases (10k), until you have a goetia chain.
-Upgrade your back to Ixion cape (50k).
-Upgrade belt to cognition (5k).
____________________________
VxSote: "He Who Stands in Smoking Crater"
BLM, WHM, RNG, RDM, SCH, NIN 99 -- Fenrir (Unicorn) -- Gold 100+, Synergy 80, all subs 60+.
Another Look at Conserve MP
Leader, Screwdriver Dynamis Linkshell
#18 Oct 27 2011 at 11:30 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
184 posts
My 95 rdm in similar gear (except full teal cause I'm lazy) regularly drops blizz iv for 1kish damage, with no macc or ice boosting atma's. Level difference helps alot... just get to 95, then live in abyssea until you cap skills ;p
____________________________
Vanidin Pickles on Excalibur
#19 Oct 27 2011 at 4:09 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
928 posts
Elspetta wrote:
All in all, it sounds like you are determined to skillup before moving on, regardless of what anyone says. So ... other than my first response of skilling up on NMs, I would suggest joining an Aby La Thiene worm party, put yourself on limit points, and go to town. Once your skills are to your satisfaction, then change to xp. To keep up your skills, don't do the limit breaks (if you haven't already on another job) and just keep skilling up until you are comfortable moving on. The benefits of a party are going to outweigh being solo because you will be building your lights, getting constant temp items, and TE. If you are in the party long enough, you would probably be able to just sleep in the zone and start back up the next day with your lights/xp/cruor already capped.

If you are determined to do it solo, you could also go back to the Zvahl Fortalices, but instead of casting actual nukes, just cycle through your elemental debuffs. The DoT will still kill them eventually, but it should be much slower than nuking them since they take enhanced magic damage.



I have to agree with this, You are way to determined to not accept the basics. You may be getting resisted this is true, but that doesn't change the fact that abyssea is the best way to do this and getting 95 will only help your skill gain not hinder. One of the bigger things you get at 95 also is manawell, which is one free spell every 10 mins. It's not alot but it helps.

With that being said there is no reason that you shouldn't join a party. In a party people can refresh you more, whm's can cure you after convert, you get more opporutnities at astetics drinks which increase acc and dmg, and needless to say the biggest opportunity is the restore chest you get that reset your convert and two hour and it fills your mp level back for continuious skilling up. The more poeple killing = the more these will be seen. Just ask if you can have them people usually are willing to pass on them for a blm to have.


#20Glitterhands, Posted: Oct 30 2011 at 11:57 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Ideas like this are the reason I see so many 95 BLM's wasting a good party slot because every nuke they land is resisted. When elemental seal is your only method of scoring a decent hit, there's a serious issue. Watching other Black Mages land 200 damage Blizzard V's is just painful to see. Conversely, by actually putting some effort into my elemental skill, im now hitting for 4.5k+ with the same spell.
#21 Oct 31 2011 at 3:37 AM Rating: Good
**
824 posts
I hate to break it to you, but the vast majority of the playerbase uses Abyssea alliances for 2 things: leeching jobs from lv30, and skilling up/breaking latents... hence why they tend to range from mediocre to terrible. I'm not condoning it, that's just how it is.

Once you get to the point where you can deal that kind of damage, you're just carrying the alliance while they **** off with whatever they're doing.
____________________________
rdmcandie wrote:
RDM can attain an almost static 50% reduction to recast time, SCH can over shoot this for a total of 60% reduction under Alacrity (provided you are wearing loafers and keeping dark weather on yourself)

rdmcandie wrote:
MACC is a joke, any job with access to mage gear can hit close the MACC cap on legion mobs, which is why my BRD/RDM can land slow/para/blind despite having only 150 skill (from /RDM.)
#22 Oct 31 2011 at 10:39 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
674 posts
LyltiaofLakshmi wrote:
I hate to break it to you, but the vast majority of the playerbase uses Abyssea alliances for 2 things: leeching jobs from lv30, and skilling up/breaking latents... hence why they tend to range from mediocre to terrible. I'm not condoning it, that's just how it is.

Once you get to the point where you can deal that kind of damage, you're just carrying the alliance while they @#%^ off with whatever they're doing.

Yeah, I'm well aware that a lot of players leech from level 30 onwards, just a bit exhausted trying to defend my reasons for wanting to skill up our most important skill. There's only so many times I can repeat the same argument, after all.
____________________________

FFXI: Seiowan Lvl 99 WHM, SCH, BLM
#23 Oct 31 2011 at 11:12 AM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
Yeah, I'm well aware that a lot of players leech from level 30 onwards, just a bit exhausted trying to defend my reasons for wanting to skill up our most important skill. There's only so many times I can repeat the same argument, after all.


There were quite a few real suggestions for skilling up that you chose to ignore/disregard/not even reply to. You kept arguing your point, even though you were given valid ways to skillup. Seems to me like you wanted to repeat the same argument.
____________________________
~Elspetta~
99 BLM WHM RDM SCH SMN BRD THF DNC WAR
Phoenix
~~Remember the Titans~~
#24 Oct 31 2011 at 12:42 PM Rating: Good
**
824 posts
..Nobody was arguing against skill up Elemental Magic, man. You just kept insisting on subpar ways to go about it, and got corrected.
____________________________
rdmcandie wrote:
RDM can attain an almost static 50% reduction to recast time, SCH can over shoot this for a total of 60% reduction under Alacrity (provided you are wearing loafers and keeping dark weather on yourself)

rdmcandie wrote:
MACC is a joke, any job with access to mage gear can hit close the MACC cap on legion mobs, which is why my BRD/RDM can land slow/para/blind despite having only 150 skill (from /RDM.)
#25 Nov 01 2011 at 11:29 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
674 posts
LyltiaofLakshmi wrote:
..Nobody was arguing against skill up Elemental Magic, man. You just kept insisting on subpar ways to go about it, and got corrected.

Correction, I got told to level up in XP parties regardless of my skill because "I'll skill up while in them". That's hardly much of a suggestion towards making a meaningful contribution to the team. The best suggestion so far was fighting worms in various areas to skill up. Odd that no one mentioned Zeruhn Mines now that they've got high level worms there too, but I digress.
____________________________

FFXI: Seiowan Lvl 99 WHM, SCH, BLM
#26 Nov 01 2011 at 12:17 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
***
1,362 posts
Zeruhn Mines is a terrible idea.

The worms in abyssea are higher level and you get refresh atmas.

You can still get a consistent resist rate even 175 skill below level 95 cap because of atmas and all the INT gear you can get.

If you don't have the atma's I'd consider those to be your top priority and not elemental skill.
____________________________
Kaup of Lakshmi

99BLM 99WHM 99RDM 99SCH 99SMN 99BRD 99DNC 99SAM

#27 Nov 01 2011 at 2:47 PM Rating: Good
****
5,645 posts
Glitterhands wrote:
Odd that no one mentioned Zeruhn Mines now that they've got high level worms there too, but I digress.

Those worms may only spawn at lvl 75 at the bottom of their range, so skill ups really start to dry up when you reach the skill cap for lvl 82. They also have a longer respawn time than mobs in Abyssea. And since players like to do GoV there for easy/safe/convenient exp and brown casket farming, there's a good chance you'll run into competition for limited mobs.

And as was already mentioned, you won't have the benefit of refresh Atmas down there.
____________________________
Lyonheart, like Eorzia, will be reborn in FFXIV!

FFXI veteran (Lyonheart and Lakiskline of Lakshmi)
1/467 on signed HQ Weskit!!!
#28 Nov 11 2011 at 12:26 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
833 posts
Thank you for this guys. I didn't write this but I've been wondering myself, since I'm pretty behind in dark and enfeeb, and still haven't capped those yet.

I'll check the worms in Ule later and hope the gilsellers aren't there.. (that's one of their fav haunts lately; pains in the rear they are.)
____________________________
Elizara, Mithran WHM of Quetzalcoatl
LS's: SpecialFriends, ShikigamiWeapon, Noble's, WeSayHurray, JingZen, Betrayed (Dynamis and Aby)

Still a MithraPride kitty at heart, tho that shell is gone..Also still CTY at heart forevah!

Midgard: NEVER FORGET.

Alla profile: http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?11530

Thinking about swapping from console to PC? Check here to do it right!
#29 Nov 11 2011 at 12:30 PM Rating: Excellent
maryadavies wrote:
Thank you for this guys. I didn't write this but I've been wondering myself, since I'm pretty behind in dark and enfeeb, and still haven't capped those yet.

I'll check the worms in Ule later and hope the gilsellers aren't there.. (that's one of their fav haunts lately; pains in the rear they are.)


Good Luck! My elemental capped out a few days after 95 just from the constant NM hunts, but dark is such a pain in the rear! I spam Bio/Bio2, randomly stun trash mobs even though they don't need it, drain and aspir everything and I'm still about 10 levels from cap. Sooo slow!

Luckily enfeebling is capped from having rdm leveled as well.
____________________________
~Elspetta~
99 BLM WHM RDM SCH SMN BRD THF DNC WAR
Phoenix
~~Remember the Titans~~
#30 Nov 12 2011 at 12:43 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
833 posts
Yeah it is. But let me put up a few more suggestions for help..

See, I don't do aby/voidwatch every day really. So normally my skills can be quite a bit behind (including elemental) for some time if I don't hop to it. Which annoys me to all end.

So to echo the cure skill thread in the WHM forum..(Your Healing Magic Skill Is In The Shnitter)

*****Your Elemental Magic/Dark Magic/Enfeebling Magic Skill is In The Worm****

...get your head out of the **** mag, lol.

You might not think these are important. Well, dark isn't so, but the other two..well, let me tell you *waves cane* in the rough old days when BLMs had to solo for their xp, if you didn't keep those capped, it would mean DEATH. Yours, that is. Higher levels may give you more int, but if the skill is not there, you'll get more resists than you may realize. And with enfeebs, that can equal a big old splat if a sleep gets resisted if your aby shell is like mine (Betrayed) and you're asked to solo emphs sometimes.


Abyssea does allow those of us who don't like to skill in our eg groups the opportunity to skill these alone if we wish. Go to Aby-Ule Range, Conflux 4. Also for atma (I know a lot of blms are going to whine, "But Eli, that'll gimp my damage"..Be quiet. In the end, once you get the normal atma on once you finish skilling, you prolly will notice ya get less resists, which will up your damage a little bit. Besides, it's better to skill alone.) I recommend Atma of the Earth Wyrm, Atma of the Mounted Champion, and Minikin Monstrosity. (Use a macc atma in place of earth wyrm if it's REALLY low)

Gear; I understand there is a new earring that helps with magic skillups. If you're really behind you may want to seek it, but I'm not that ****. Other than that bring your normal gear.

Food: Ever heard of pitaru? Pitaru is the magic skillup food. It isn't a really really huge difference but it makes a large enough difference to be noticeable. (Mind this is the known theories atm) The one with the highest skillcap is seafood pitaru, midrange is poultry pitaru, and the low end is stuffed pitaru. (I recommend if you want the seafood, log the butterpears AKA. avocados yourself and find a friend to make you some; it's expensive because the butterpears are kinda rare.) I understand if you skip it tho, since it's added expense! (I'm a 100 cook)

Anyway, go the opposite direction from the buffalo; you should see a lot of worms. Try to stay in the path leading to them as much as you can; they do aggro but don't seem to link. Also there's a Byrgen that comes by once in a while; since it's half dark based, it's almost unsleepable. If you get too close it'll agg to your spells, if that happens, bind + RUN for the conflux.

If you're skilling elemental magic, kill worms with T1 nukes, but be quick to stun if they do a ga3 or quake (that hurts, and it's good practice anyway); If it's dark, spam Bio, Bio 2, Aspir, Aspir 2, Stun, and Drain. If it's enfeeb, use Dia and Dia 2, and throw a stun in now and then just to keep it from doing something rotten.

Take your time and let'em have it. And that's the end of that worm, friends. ^^


Edited, Nov 13th 2011 10:03am by maryadavies
____________________________
Elizara, Mithran WHM of Quetzalcoatl
LS's: SpecialFriends, ShikigamiWeapon, Noble's, WeSayHurray, JingZen, Betrayed (Dynamis and Aby)

Still a MithraPride kitty at heart, tho that shell is gone..Also still CTY at heart forevah!

Midgard: NEVER FORGET.

Alla profile: http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?11530

Thinking about swapping from console to PC? Check here to do it right!
#31 Nov 12 2011 at 3:57 PM Rating: Good
****
5,645 posts
maryadavies wrote:
I recommend Atma of the Shimmering Shell, Atma of the Mounted Champion, and Minikin Monstrosity.

I can kind of understand Mounted Champ (so that you don't have to waste time Curing yourself if you eat a nuke or two). But why Shimmering Shell? That gives AGI and Fire resist. If you wanted an elemental resist, earth resist would make more sense. I probably still wouldn't go with an earth resist atma. I would probably suggest a fast cast, refresh, or conserve MP based atma instead. Or if you're enfeebling skill is really low, I would suggest magic accuracy atmas.

Quote:
Anyway, go the opposite direction from the buffalo; you should see a lot of worms. Try to stay in the path leading to them as much as you can; they do aggro but don't seem to link. Also there's a Byrgen that comes by once in a while; since it's half dark based, it's almost unsleepable. If you get too close it'll agg to your spells, if that happens, bind + RUN for the conflux.

If you're skilling elemental magic, kill worms with T1 nukes, but be quick to stun if they do a ga3 or quake (that hurts, and it's good practice anyway); If it's dark, spam Bio, Bio 2, Aspir, Aspir 2, Stun, and Drain. If it's enfeeb, use Dia and Dia 2, and throw a stun in now and then just to keep it from doing something rotten.

I would suggest going /RDM, so that you also have Gravity for dealing with Byrgen. I would definitely go with /RDM or /WHM over any other subjob choice, so that you can silence the worms.
____________________________
Lyonheart, like Eorzia, will be reborn in FFXIV!

FFXI veteran (Lyonheart and Lakiskline of Lakshmi)
1/467 on signed HQ Weskit!!!
#32 Nov 12 2011 at 9:20 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
833 posts
Oops, I thought it was EARTH resist. Wiki was wrong then.
____________________________
Elizara, Mithran WHM of Quetzalcoatl
LS's: SpecialFriends, ShikigamiWeapon, Noble's, WeSayHurray, JingZen, Betrayed (Dynamis and Aby)

Still a MithraPride kitty at heart, tho that shell is gone..Also still CTY at heart forevah!

Midgard: NEVER FORGET.

Alla profile: http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?11530

Thinking about swapping from console to PC? Check here to do it right!
#33 Nov 12 2011 at 11:55 PM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,807 posts
maryadavies wrote:
Oops, I thought it was EARTH resist. Wiki was wrong then.

Which wiki? Are you sure you aren't just on crack or something?
____________________________
VxSote: "He Who Stands in Smoking Crater"
BLM, WHM, RNG, RDM, SCH, NIN 99 -- Fenrir (Unicorn) -- Gold 100+, Synergy 80, all subs 60+.
Another Look at Conserve MP
Leader, Screwdriver Dynamis Linkshell
#34 Nov 13 2011 at 9:01 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
833 posts
Thought it was the regular old wiki but i'm dumb, looks like I misread it. *goes to fix*

Shows what happens when you've had a case of insomnia the night before.

Edited, Nov 13th 2011 10:03am by maryadavies
____________________________
Elizara, Mithran WHM of Quetzalcoatl
LS's: SpecialFriends, ShikigamiWeapon, Noble's, WeSayHurray, JingZen, Betrayed (Dynamis and Aby)

Still a MithraPride kitty at heart, tho that shell is gone..Also still CTY at heart forevah!

Midgard: NEVER FORGET.

Alla profile: http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?11530

Thinking about swapping from console to PC? Check here to do it right!
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 19 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (19)