First off I'd like to say hello to the blm community here on alla. I'm a long time reader not much of a poster though. I've played FFXI a lot in the past and I'm returning after leaving the game in late 07. I currently have a blm 71 and I'm trying to get back into the game after being away so long which can be a bit overwhelming.
Some info about me, I'm 71 blm/whm on Shiva. My gear set includes all NQ staves, full AF, I have a black cloak, penitents rope, phantom tath, bugard strap +1, 2x genius rings, moldy earring, and a morion earring, and a few other decent pieces I can't remember at the moment.
I was hoping to get a little input from the vet blm's here on things I should start working on before I make the push to 75 and endgame. I'm rank 5 and haven't done any ZM, CoP or ToAU missions. I'm trying to get to 72 to make transportation a little easier then I'm thinking I'll farm and work on getting rdm up for sub (only 18 atm).
Fio's short list of stuff to do, in order, taking into account a limited supply of gil on hand:
1) Check that your macros still swap in the appropriate gear for the most used BLM spells. So that means +enfeebling gear and Dark Staff for Sleep spells, +enfeebling gear and Ice Staff for Bind, +MND gear and Water Staff/Bugard Strap +1 or some kind of wand (Mythic Wand) for Stoneskin, etc. Yes, that means buying more +MND gear like MND rings, etc. If you don't have a +HMP set, you should get one asap.
2) Level up RDM sub to 37 for Gravitygravitygravitygravitygravity, and Fastcast
3) Get to level 72
4) Stop and farm enough to buy these (assuming you don't already have them):
- Igqira Weskit
- Igqira Lappas (expensive but worth it)
- Igqira Tiara
- Errant Houppelande
- Errant Slops
- Errant Pigaches (for stoneskin maybe)
- 2x Sapphire Rings
- Rainbow Cape
- Beak Necklace +1
- Qiqirn Sash +1
5) Get to level 73 so you can start using Igqira gear and other stuff.
6) Start doing Assaults in between levelling to 75. Assault is an event (doesn't cost any gil) that is best explained when you go to the Wikipedia page (http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org)
and look it up. The gear you want from Assaults
- Enlightened Chain
- Grandiose Chain
- Yigit Gages
- Yigit Crackows
- Yigit Seraweels
- Yigit Turban
- Invigorating Cape
7) Try to get to 75 as soon as possible so you can start accumulating Merits and be more accepted in doing Assaults and other events. I would recommend levelling a second job so that you can be more versatile (RDM is an excellent choice). This will seem strange to recommend levelling RDM in a BLM forum, but in this stage of FFXI a single level 75 job is not flexible enough to deal with everything. At least with BLM and RDM levelled, you can go BLM to do damage, and switch to RDM if one of your healers doesn't happen to show up for Assaults or whatever. Having RDM and BLM levelled is also a plus for most LS.
8) Once you have steps 1 - 7 covered more or less, then start thinking of doing CoP missions so you can get to sea and eventually maybe get some goodies from there that are nice for BLM (Novio Earring etc.)
9) Work on steps 1 - 8 first, there's still a ton more to be done.
10) See step 9