Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Returning BLMFollow

#1 May 17 2009 at 5:52 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
*
71 posts
First off I'd like to say hello to the blm community here on alla. I'm a long time reader not much of a poster though. I've played FFXI a lot in the past and I'm returning after leaving the game in late 07. I currently have a blm 71 and I'm trying to get back into the game after being away so long which can be a bit overwhelming.

Some info about me, I'm 71 blm/whm on Shiva. My gear set includes all NQ staves, full AF, I have a black cloak, penitents rope, phantom tath, bugard strap +1, 2x genius rings, moldy earring, and a morion earring, and a few other decent pieces I can't remember at the moment.

I was hoping to get a little input from the vet blm's here on things I should start working on before I make the push to 75 and endgame. I'm rank 5 and haven't done any ZM, CoP or ToAU missions. I'm trying to get to 72 to make transportation a little easier then I'm thinking I'll farm and work on getting rdm up for sub (only 18 atm).

Any advice I can get as far as gear, missions to work on or anything would be a great help as I start to get back into the game. There's so much to do it's overwhelming after being away for a while. Anyways thanks for the help, Keg.
#2 May 17 2009 at 7:17 AM Rating: Good
Sage
**
834 posts
Hi~

Quote:
First off I'd like to say hello to the blm community here on alla. I'm a long time reader not much of a poster though. I've played FFXI a lot in the past and I'm returning after leaving the game in late 07. I currently have a blm 71 and I'm trying to get back into the game after being away so long which can be a bit overwhelming.

Some info about me, I'm 71 blm/whm on Shiva. My gear set includes all NQ staves, full AF, I have a black cloak, penitents rope, phantom tath, bugard strap +1, 2x genius rings, moldy earring, and a morion earring, and a few other decent pieces I can't remember at the moment.

I was hoping to get a little input from the vet blm's here on things I should start working on before I make the push to 75 and endgame. I'm rank 5 and haven't done any ZM, CoP or ToAU missions. I'm trying to get to 72 to make transportation a little easier then I'm thinking I'll farm and work on getting rdm up for sub (only 18 atm).


Fio's short list of stuff to do, in order, taking into account a limited supply of gil on hand:

1) Check that your macros still swap in the appropriate gear for the most used BLM spells. So that means +enfeebling gear and Dark Staff for Sleep spells, +enfeebling gear and Ice Staff for Bind, +MND gear and Water Staff/Bugard Strap +1 or some kind of wand (Mythic Wand) for Stoneskin, etc. Yes, that means buying more +MND gear like MND rings, etc. If you don't have a +HMP set, you should get one asap.

2) Level up RDM sub to 37 for Gravitygravitygravitygravitygravity, and Fastcast

3) Get to level 72

4) Stop and farm enough to buy these (assuming you don't already have them):
 
- Igqira Weskit 
- Igqira Lappas (expensive but worth it) 
- Igqira Tiara 
- Errant Houppelande 
- Errant Slops 
- Errant Pigaches (for stoneskin maybe) 
- 2x Sapphire Rings 
- Rainbow Cape 
- Beak Necklace +1 
- Qiqirn Sash +1 


5) Get to level 73 so you can start using Igqira gear and other stuff.

6) Start doing Assaults in between levelling to 75. Assault is an event (doesn't cost any gil) that is best explained when you go to the Wikipedia page (http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org) and look it up. The gear you want from Assaults
 
- Enlightened Chain 
- Grandiose Chain 
- Yigit Gages 
- Yigit Crackows 
- Yigit Seraweels 
- Yigit Turban 
- Invigorating Cape 


7) Try to get to 75 as soon as possible so you can start accumulating Merits and be more accepted in doing Assaults and other events. I would recommend levelling a second job so that you can be more versatile (RDM is an excellent choice). This will seem strange to recommend levelling RDM in a BLM forum, but in this stage of FFXI a single level 75 job is not flexible enough to deal with everything. At least with BLM and RDM levelled, you can go BLM to do damage, and switch to RDM if one of your healers doesn't happen to show up for Assaults or whatever. Having RDM and BLM levelled is also a plus for most LS.

8) Once you have steps 1 - 7 covered more or less, then start thinking of doing CoP missions so you can get to sea and eventually maybe get some goodies from there that are nice for BLM (Novio Earring etc.)

9) Work on steps 1 - 8 first, there's still a ton more to be done.

10) See step 9







____________________________
Fionaa~
Mithran RDM | BLM | BLU | WHM | RNG of Sylph
==iiZerg LS, Yoichinoyumi holder #3==
RDM: Maxing out Convert
WHM: Guide to Solace/Misery
#3 May 17 2009 at 6:50 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*
71 posts
Thank you so much this is exactly what I was looking for. I've been searching around the forums for the past couple days trying to figure out what I should do to get started but this definitely helps get me on the right track.
#4 May 17 2009 at 7:12 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,285 posts
Quote:
- Enlightened Chain
- Grandiose Chain
- Yigit Gages
- Yigit Crackows
- Yigit Seraweels
- Yigit Turban
- Invigorating Cape


I agree with most of what Fio said, only things here I will disagree with.

Enlightened Chain, Grandiose Chain, Yigit Gages, Seraweels and turban are all not needed by a long shot. Yigit Crackows, and Invigorating Cape are good though.

The idea of leveling a second job is nice, but I always will say, don't worry about a second job till you are happy with your first. I was a blm only for almost 5 years, and it never hampered anything I did. If you know what you are doing on blm, have proper sets, and macros, you won't need a second job until you get into the larger HNM shells on your server (which probably won't happen for awhile anyway).

I'll say the basic steps to blm perfection is
-Level rdm to 37
-Level blm to 73
-Get all the gear you need that is AHable (Igqira, Errant, INT rings, hMP set, HQ staves, enfeebling, dark ect. ect.)
-Work on getting Yigit Crackows while you level to 75
-Merit while you get Sky access (ZMs are fast and can be done in a day if you try).
-Merit while you start working on CoP
-Continue to farm/whatever to afford the rest of your gear you need that you can buy.
-Get into some endgame shell.
#5 May 17 2009 at 7:42 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
834 posts
Quote:
I agree with most of what Fio said, only things here I will disagree with.

Enlightened Chain, Grandiose Chain, Yigit Gages, Seraweels and turban are all not needed by a long shot. Yigit Crackows, and Invigorating Cape are good though.


Well, I put forth those ideas because they're 'free' if you do assaults regularly. No need to spend gil on them and they are still useful...

Quote:

The idea of leveling a second job is nice, but I always will say, don't worry about a second job till you are happy with your first. I was a blm only for almost 5 years, and it never hampered anything I did. If you know what you are doing on blm, have proper sets, and macros, you won't need a second job until you get into the larger HNM shells on your server (which probably won't happen for awhile anyway).

I'll say the basic steps to blm perfection is
-Level rdm to 37
-Level blm to 73
-Get all the gear you need that is AHable (Igqira, Errant, INT rings, hMP set, HQ staves, enfeebling, dark ect. ect.)
-Work on getting Yigit Crackows while you level to 75
-Merit while you get Sky access (ZMs are fast and can be done in a day if you try).
-Merit while you start working on CoP
-Continue to farm/whatever to afford the rest of your gear you need that you can buy.
-Get into some endgame shell.


I want to stress that getting into a good linkshell is going to help you out quite a bit.
____________________________
Fionaa~
Mithran RDM | BLM | BLU | WHM | RNG of Sylph
==iiZerg LS, Yoichinoyumi holder #3==
RDM: Maxing out Convert
WHM: Guide to Solace/Misery
#6 May 18 2009 at 10:28 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*
71 posts
Thanks again for all the advice, I really appreciate it. I think I have a pretty solid plan now for what I'll be doing. Leveling RDM and farming will be first priority, I hope fishing is still a good way to make money since it looks like I'll need a lot of it.
#7 May 18 2009 at 11:04 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,285 posts
I dunno about fishing, I never really has enough patients to fish.

But anyway, good luck!
#8 May 18 2009 at 2:29 PM Rating: Decent
40 posts
I want to second the idea about concentrating on BLM before you start leveling another job to 75. It is incredibly handy to have more than one type of job at 75, but I've been able to see almost everything endgame has to offer (and been able to contribute as well) with only my BLM. Just concentrate on the AH and Assault gear that's been listed and you'll be fine.

I would like to add, if you can, find a BLM who can show you how to Gravity-kite and solo xp on things that aren't pets if you don't know how already. I initally quit before ToAU came out and that's been a huge learning curve for me, personally.

Finally, 73 is a great level to hit. It's kind of like hitting 51 all over again (kind of). Best of luck to you!
____________________________
Higgins
75BLM, 42WHM, 37RDM, 37NIN and growing
http://www.ffxiah.com/player.php?id=1469130#item_sets
#9 May 19 2009 at 12:52 AM Rating: Good
**
712 posts
Fionaa wrote:
I would recommend levelling a second job so that you can be more versatile (RDM is an excellent choice).

While I agree with what Fio said, I would hesitate on this job being your second. My only concerns about it is the fact that you ~could~ potentially get stuck on that job more often than you had expected. Kinda like the people who leveled up brd and never remember having leveled another job.

As far as recommending versatility with a job, having atleast 1 DD job (sam maybe rng) could help you get into a decent shell. Sam is always welcomed in any DD events, and rng is also very helpful in looking for NMs or just with damage aswell.

If you want to stick with mage jobs, than Sch offers your group a lot of buffs along with allowing you to either stay in a whm/rdm role or keep to your blm role. If not, than rdm as Fio said is a good job to have leveled, if not whm as well, imo whm is one of the more underrated jobs to have for events.
____________________________
SERVER: IFRIT
WHM/BRD: Triangulum
PLD
MNK
SAM
BLM
DRK

Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 11 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (11)