I'll preface this by saying I'm a hume, and play mage jobs (so I don't really have any intentions of playing melee characters unless you count thwacking things as a Red Mage some time in the future!), so melee skills aren't that important to me.
- HP/MP - Full 12/12 on MP merits (I usually sub RDM so want to push my MP up for a better Convert ratio)
- Stats - Full 8/8 on INT merits (again, mage roles, the INT boost will be most beneficial to me)
- Combat Skills - ? (probably Staff and Evasion, but I suspect I'll leave these until later when I decide how far I want to take Red Mage; i.e., do I need Sword/Dagger merits?)
- Magic Skills - Full 8/8 on Enfeebling and Elemental (not sure where to put the last 8 points yet)
- Others - Full 5/5 on Spell Interruption (again, not sure about the other 5)
Group 1 Merits
- Grimore Recast - Not going to bother; shaving 10 seconds off switching arts doesn't seem worth it, and that's assuming it's fully merited
- Modus Veritas Duration - With the nerfs this skill received, again, I don't believe this is worth it unless they drop the recast
- Helix Magic Accuracy/Attack - Full 5/5 merits
- Max Sublimation - Full 5/5 merits
(With the first two skills basically ruled out, the only choice I have is to fully merit the last two anyway).
Group 2 Merits
- Altruism - Don't _think_ I need additional white magic accuracy? Open to suggestions here
- Focalization - 4/5 merits for 5/5 if I don't use Enlightenment
- Tranquility - Redundant with introduction of Animus Minuo?
- Equanimity - Redundant with introduction of Animus Minuo?
- Enlightenment - Maybe useful... I'm thinking it's primarily going to be used to cast a -na spell when you're in Addendum: Black mode, but with our stratagems recharging every 48 seconds at level 90, it's probably quicker (and better MP wise) to switch arts, use Addendum: White, cast your spells, then switch back to Dark Arts
- Stormsurge - Full 5/5 merits
Does that sounds like a reasonable path to take for merits? Basically it's focused on maximizing magic damage and landing nukes/enfeebles (+INT, enhanced Enfeebling/Elemental magic, Focalization/Stormsurge, etc, etc), since on the white magic side I believe I'm basically covered (it's primarily player targeted spells such as Cures and Status Removal which wouldn't benefit majorly from the merits).
There's still a few gaps in my shared merits since I don't really know where the best benefit is going to be, but again, I'd love to hear from some career Scholars on how they've gone about their merits.