Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Guess I'll make the update threadFollow

#1 Jun 17 2010 at 10:39 AM Rating: Good
**
256 posts
List of job adjustments for Scholar in the next update:

Job Traits:
Occult Acumen
Lvl 78
Grants bonus TP when dealing damage with elemental or dark damage

Magic Burst Bonus
Lvl 79
Improves Magic Burst Damage

Job Abilities:
Libra
Lvl 76
Duration: Instant
Recast: 1 minute
Examines the enmity level of the target mob

Spells:
Protect V
Lvl 80

Stone V
Lvl 79 (Addendum: Black)
____________________________
Paskil, @#%^ing DRK wrote:
WAR/WHM. Bradygames are @#%^ing prophets.

Turin the Malevolent wrote:
Why don't you read up on my nuts?
#2 Jun 17 2010 at 10:44 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
597 posts
Fk Libra, Fk a tp bonus, I'm god damned ecstatic we get tier V nukes.
#3 Jun 17 2010 at 11:01 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
136 posts
Yeah, i am happy about that we are getting V spells as well. Looked over BLM thread and they weren't too happy about that at all. Thread seemed like more complaining than anything about V spells and Aspir 2 but oh well. Not everyone can be happy not all jobs got great updates. And moving on~

Kind of wondering about Libra and i understand it but don't understand it? So we can tell how much hate someone has and tell people are about to pull hate? Not too sure about the ability i guess.

Oh also happy about Accession + Haste at 80 SCH/WHM. Finally because been told by people SCH sucks as healer because of no haste... t(^^t) to the people who said that lol
____________________________
Qualme(Hume)[CaitSith]
80BST,SCH
#4 Jun 17 2010 at 11:27 AM Rating: Excellent
**
256 posts
For the TP Bonus I'm not 100% sure that isn't a typo. We switch our weapons so much that any TP we gain is going to be immediately lost, in addition to the fact that we are the job least capable of meleeing in the game.

Whatever, Tier V spells, whoohoo.
____________________________
Paskil, @#%^ing DRK wrote:
WAR/WHM. Bradygames are @#%^ing prophets.

Turin the Malevolent wrote:
Why don't you read up on my nuts?
#5 Jun 17 2010 at 4:09 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
947 posts
Quote:
Kind of wondering about Libra and i understand it but don't understand it? So we can tell how much hate someone has and tell people are about to pull hate? Not too sure about the ability i guess.


Maybe it just tells you who has hate so you don't have to type /assist ;)
#6 Jun 17 2010 at 4:23 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,949 posts
LOL

Olairik uses Libra on Colibri
Colibri hates Paladin! Colibri dislikes White Mage! Colibri is indifferent about Puppermaster!

HAHAHA. OMG i cant wait to see how they make this work.

Oh and I failed to see the tier V. ZOMFG. Hello. UGh wtf is with anicent magic then? I mean...really?

And the tp thing will be nice for campaign, and its SE's way of saying...go ahead use those ws! I still do omniscience and people go "WTF was that?" **** I do detonator and ppl go "WtF was that?"
____________________________
-Bismarck-
Olairik
Elvaan

-75RDM-75COR-75SMN-75SCH-37BLM-37WHM-37SAM-37RNG-
61DRK-38MNK-32THF-20BST-15PUP-12PLD-33NIN-20BLU

Leaden Salute-Omniscience
"I still /blm in the mire" LOL
#7 Jun 17 2010 at 6:38 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
136 posts
Quote:

Olairik uses Libra on Colibri
Colibri hates Paladin! Colibri dislikes White Mage! Colibri is indifferent about Puppermaster!

HAHAHA. OMG i cant wait to see how they make this work.


I lol'd at that. I would love to see that or work like that. Best ability ever just if it was like that or maybe

"Colibri is really mad at Paladin!"
____________________________
Qualme(Hume)[CaitSith]
80BST,SCH
#8 Jun 17 2010 at 8:11 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
847 posts
Libra has to be the biggest joke that SE has ever made on SCH.

SCH uses Libra.
(SCH) Hate is on PLD!
(PLD) Really? Is that why the monster is attacking me? Thanks for the heads up, Captain Obvious!

Not too impressed with the update. Can't say how useful Occult Acumen is going to be, what with SCH staff switching and all.

Just wish it was something...more useful. And another Light Arts spell would be nice. :/
#9 Jun 17 2010 at 9:41 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,205 posts
Not really sure what the point of giving SCH the TP bonus ability. Scholars don't melee. And even if they did, it'd be so situational/rare that it's not even worth the time of putting it in..
____________________________
~TaruTaru~
PUP99 WHM97 DNC96 DRG88
~Carbuncle~
#10 Jun 18 2010 at 7:19 AM Rating: Excellent
**
480 posts
Depending on the TP return per spell, it could be useful in situations we only nuke with one spell, so, for example: Aquilo's equipped, Cryohelix, Blizzard V, Blizzard IV, Blizzard III, and repeat the sequence until 100% TP, then Spirit Taker, continue nuking...

...Yeah, I just had to make a very unlikely situation for this to be semi-worthwile.


Other than that, Libra couuuuuuuuuuuld be useful if, upon usage, it made a list with NUMERICAL values of the party members enmity. Something like: PLD 2000 SAM 1800 SCH 1600 DNC 1550 THF 1000 COR 500. I doubt it, but, eh, it would be pretty cool in that case.
____________________________
Frejan - Ragnarok
SCH 99 PUP 99 WAR 99 RDM 49 NIN 49 SAM 49
Windurst Rank 10, ZM+CoP: The Last Verse, ToAU: Eternal Mercenary, WotG Champion of the Dawn.
#11 Jun 18 2010 at 7:30 AM Rating: Excellent
6 posts
Come on SCHs we have to think outside the box and put all the pieces of this update together.

Obviously we are to start subbing /SAM.

We get full benefit of /SAM with our 2handed staves and Sekkanoki is going to be available at lvl 80 now. So we obviously mediate, go charging in with our mighty staves, whack things around, nuke for more tp (not for damage so no need to switch out your staves), and ws until the mobs cry for mercy.

AND....we use Libra to see when we are about to pull hate from the tank because of our uber melee skillz.

It all makes sense to me. Why doesn't anyone else see this?

<sarcasm off> (in case ppl didn't realize
#12 Jun 18 2010 at 8:04 AM Rating: Good
Revolving Door Inspector
Avatar
*****
12,728 posts
The TP Bonus thing will come in handy in campaign...that's about it, though. We change staves everywhere else for TP to ever make sense.

Libra, like mentioned, is hilarious. Smiley: laugh I'm wondering if THAT'S a typo...cause who cares about who has hate? It's usually obvious by the player's guts being splattered on the ground. Only way to find use to it would be if the mob is casting a spell with a longer cast time and you want to know who is about to get raped.

Tier V...yay! Protect V? We just made WHMs rage since Accession makes Protectra V merits stupid. ****, they could sub /SCH and use Accession for Prot/Shell V now. No point in wasting merits.

Magic Burst trait is also cute. Useless in manaburn and with everyone firing WSes like it's nobody's business, this will mostly come in handy when you know a SAM 2hr'd.
____________________________
FFXI: Exodus @ San d'Oria since November 19, 2003, Siren Server
FFXIV: Turk Kalahai @ Gridania, Balmung Server
Rift: Kalahai @ Sanctum, Faeblight Server
Exo @ YouTube | Exo @ Tumblr | Exo @ Twitter | Cheese
#13 Jun 18 2010 at 8:58 AM Rating: Good
*
183 posts
Libra will probably have situational uses at best. It might come in handy to know who is about to steal hate during a rough fight, so you can cast precautionary spells like Phalanx/Stoneskinga, etc. But with that said, it's usually easy enough to just watch the battle and see how hate is being managed without having to rely on a job ability. The only way Libra would be especially worthwhile is if Scholar is also given a means of manipulating party hate - perhaps a couple of spells that can grant enmity+ or enmity- to party members, or a spell/ability that can reset hate on a selected party member. Short of that, Libra probably won't be used much. It's not enough to know who is about to steal hate if you can't do anything about it, short of buffing them and offering a friendly warning that will most likely be ignored.

Oh, and I'm guessing that the screenshot in the update details of the Colibri with the pink-and-purple targeting circles, is how Libra will appear. Libra probably won't give us a list of numerical hate levels; that'd be too helpful. Instead, it'll probably just show a bunch of targeting circles over the mob and every party member, with the colour-intensity of those circles signifying how much hate each member has.
#14 Jun 18 2010 at 10:14 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
597 posts
Quote:
Protect V? We just made WHMs rage since Accession makes Protectra V merits stupid. ****, they could sub /SCH and use Accession for Prot/Shell V now. No point in wasting merits.



I'm not really raging, I'm more curious than anything. I think pro/shell V single targets are going to be the base spells and any merits added that the WHM puts into the aoe versions are going to increase the MDT- and possibly PDT for pro V (like it should have been from the start) making the whm versions still far more desirable.

That, or they're going to "refund" the merits or make our tier 2 merits obsolete until the next update when they're like "Surprise! WHM gets Pro and Shell VI!" after every whm has already maxed out devotion and martyr and removed the pro/shell merits.
#15 Jun 18 2010 at 11:48 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
49 posts
I agree with how not-useful Libra seems. but im actually kinda stoked for the magic burst bonus.. If you do endgame at all, seeing your sch nuke Fafhog and landing 2k+ MBs normally is really pleasing... i wonder how much exactly it increases with the bonus.. i want to see my sch droppin' 3K thunder IV's on Nid.. even if i get smashed into the ground a couple seconds later :D

Edited, Jun 18th 2010 12:49pm by xXEvokerXx
____________________________

~SMN 85 ::: BLU 85 ::: SCH 85~
Mors Ab Alto

http://www.ffxiah.com/player/Shiva/Kollosis

Get at me.
#16 Jun 18 2010 at 1:02 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,205 posts
I'm thinking that they're trying to nudge people into partying the way we always did before TAOU came around. With a tank, and magic bursting. In that case, Libra still probably wouldn't be *that* useful in an experience party, but the MB boost would be. I could see Libra being useful in a kiting situation, but that's about it.

I mean, if you look at the damage reduction trait that Warriors are getting for shield-usage, and the crit defense bonus traits, it almost seems like they're trying to bump WAR back into being a possible tank (and giving PLD yet another damage mitigation). Maybe they're going to design some mobs that are more manageable by a blood tank, and shadows will be unnecessary? And some where it would actually be more efficient to use the old standard party setup to kill mobs rather than just beat their brains in faster? For my own personal enjoyment, I really hope that's the direction they're trying to take the game. It'd make partying a lot more fun, and I'd be more encouraged to do it. As it stands now, getting exp is a boring grind once you hit TOAU, and it makes it really difficult to feel motivated to party.
____________________________
~TaruTaru~
PUP99 WHM97 DNC96 DRG88
~Carbuncle~
#17 Jun 18 2010 at 6:30 PM Rating: Good
**
575 posts
Everyone is mentioning staff swaps.

Who's to say they won't all be replaced by a single staff in the next 24 levels? Or at least, a staff for all casting and one for resting.

It'd not be that hard. Just a lot of m. acc and m. att on one weapon. Or a 'prism staff' or something.

I don't imagine scholar would be given the trait without any followup to make it useful. Perhaps the new staff WS will be a sort of nuke, and, barring that, Spirit Taker is always handy...
#18 Jun 19 2010 at 2:24 AM Rating: Good
**
315 posts
Quote:
Who's to say they won't all be replaced by a single staff in the next 24 levels? Or at least, a staff for all casting and one for resting.


Or maybe the TP return will be based on damage. 10% would be awesome. Who knows.

I'm happy about T5 nukes, still holding out hope for T2 helices later. Cure V and Regen III will probably be in the future as well. And since SE is seeming to get a hard on for SCs & MBs (not that I have a problem with it), I foresee Sch getting some kind of SC/MB manipulation type spell/ability (you heard it here first!).

But back to the present, Libra has me really confused. As fast as hate can change, what's the point of knowing enmity at any certain moment unless you can do something about it. I'm very curious to finally see how this works. This could range from anywhere to a job defining ability, to one of the most laughable abilities in MMO history. We'll soon see.

Edited, Jun 19th 2010 4:30am by Fermion
____________________________
75NIN, 75BLM, 75SCH, 75SAM, 64BRD, 41RDM, 37DNC, 37WHM, 37WAR
#19 Jun 20 2010 at 3:47 PM Rating: Excellent
**
479 posts
Squintik wrote:
The only way Libra would be especially worthwhile is if Scholar is also given a means of manipulating party hate - perhaps a couple of spells that can grant enmity+ or enmity- to party members, or a spell/ability that can reset hate on a selected party member. Short of that, Libra probably won't be used much. It's not enough to know who is about to steal hate if you can't do anything about it, short of buffing them and offering a friendly warning that will most likely be ignored.


This is the direction I hope they are taking us, since the libra that we all know and love will not be available in this game. I've always thought that SCH should get a decoy type spell and a pax spell. It makes sense as we are tacticians on the battlefield. We should be orchestrating where our enemies attention will fall. The only way this ability will be useful is if we receive accompanying spells.
____________________________
Sasaraixx
Tarutaru!
Gilgamesh
BLM 99/SMN 99/RDM 99/SCH 99/WHM 99/BLU 99/DNC 99/NIN 49/WAR 49/THF 46/BRD 41/COR 40/RNG 38/DRK 37/
#20 Jun 21 2010 at 5:10 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
508 posts
To be honest if they were following through with the "battlefield tactician" theme we'd have gravity, bind, haste, slow, stop (etc. etc.). You know, spells that would actually be useful in a skirmish. It's just some rubbish they threw together to fit the job with the WOTG war theme. It makes far more sense for scholars to simply a more bookish version of red mage: almost no melee skills, better at magic, stratagems, etc.
In fact the only thing that fits with the "tactician" role is the parrying skill. Which is useless window dressing.

Anyway, on topic I guess. New stuff's just more of the same, which is disappointing. On the other hand at least we haven't been nerfed (hah, that's really the best I can say.)
#21 Jun 24 2010 at 11:52 AM Rating: Excellent
Revolving Door Inspector
Avatar
*****
12,728 posts
ItsAMyri wrote:
Everyone is mentioning staff swaps.

Who's to say they won't all be replaced by a single staff in the next 24 levels? Or at least, a staff for all casting and one for resting.

It'd not be that hard. Just a lot of m. acc and m. att on one weapon. Or a 'prism staff' or something.

I don't imagine scholar would be given the trait without any followup to make it useful. Perhaps the new staff WS will be a sort of nuke, and, barring that, Spirit Taker is always handy...


Like you sort of mentioned, the "one staff to rule them all" would have to have enough bonuses built in to make the old staff obsolete...and even with that said, it probably wouldn't top your Ice staff for nuking and, like you already mentioned, you'd still have to use your Dark staff for recovering MP. There is no surefire way of keeping your TP unless SE makes it that we don't lose TP from weapon swaps...which will never happen. That's way to broken/stupid. Imagine a WAR TPing with dual wielding then macroing in a g.axe for WS?

____________________________
FFXI: Exodus @ San d'Oria since November 19, 2003, Siren Server
FFXIV: Turk Kalahai @ Gridania, Balmung Server
Rift: Kalahai @ Sanctum, Faeblight Server
Exo @ YouTube | Exo @ Tumblr | Exo @ Twitter | Cheese
#22 Jun 24 2010 at 12:28 PM Rating: Excellent
**
479 posts
Innuendoze wrote:
To be honest if they were following through with the "battlefield tactician" theme we'd have gravity, bind, haste, slow, stop (etc. etc.). You know, spells that would actually be useful in a skirmish. It's just some rubbish they threw together to fit the job with the WOTG war theme. It makes far more sense for scholars to simply a more bookish version of red mage: almost no melee skills, better at magic, stratagems, etc.
In fact the only thing that fits with the "tactician" role is the parrying skill. Which is useless window dressing.

Anyway, on topic I guess. New stuff's just more of the same, which is disappointing. On the other hand at least we haven't been nerfed (hah, that's really the best I can say.)


Actually, none of what you listed has anything to do with being an actual tactician. The tactician is the one who coordinates the movements of the troops and the overall plan of attack. They would not be the one casting gravity and would likely not even fight. Something like parrying has nothing to to with tactics. That has to do with your skill as a fighter.

But I do agree that the overall theme of the job is not as well thought out as it should be.
____________________________
Sasaraixx
Tarutaru!
Gilgamesh
BLM 99/SMN 99/RDM 99/SCH 99/WHM 99/BLU 99/DNC 99/NIN 49/WAR 49/THF 46/BRD 41/COR 40/RNG 38/DRK 37/
#23 Jun 27 2010 at 8:24 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
508 posts
You're right. Having looked up what "tactics" actually means... how the **** would you make a mage that specialises in it? Tactician's just not a magical job. I suppose the enmity idea makes some sense, but that's about it. And we already have thieves to do that...
#24 Jun 28 2010 at 12:15 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,961 posts
Sir Exodus wrote:
ItsAMyri wrote:
Everyone is mentioning staff swaps.

Who's to say they won't all be replaced by a single staff in the next 24 levels? Or at least, a staff for all casting and one for resting.

It'd not be that hard. Just a lot of m. acc and m. att on one weapon. Or a 'prism staff' or something.

I don't imagine scholar would be given the trait without any followup to make it useful. Perhaps the new staff WS will be a sort of nuke, and, barring that, Spirit Taker is always handy...


Like you sort of mentioned, the "one staff to rule them all" would have to have enough bonuses built in to make the old staff obsolete...and even with that said, it probably wouldn't top your Ice staff for nuking and, like you already mentioned, you'd still have to use your Dark staff for recovering MP. There is no surefire way of keeping your TP unless SE makes it that we don't lose TP from weapon swaps...which will never happen. That's way to broken/stupid. Imagine a WAR TPing with dual wielding then macroing in a g.axe for WS?
BUT, would it be stupidly broken to be able to switch out a Staff for another Staff, or a Great Axe for another Great Axe and not lose TP? The MOST broken I can see that being is TPing with something like a Ridill and switching to something like Excalibur for WS, even though I can still see Ridill's Occ atk 2-3 times proccing on WS being better overall than the extra dmg from Excalibur...so, honestly, I can't see the "broken" in that being allowed.

Now, switching from one weapon type to another doesn't make a lot of sense, but I don't see the wrong in allowing TP to stay if you stay within the same weapon group.

Or, maybe there will be a JA or JT soon that makes SCH spells do more damage with TP, which MIGHT eventually reach numbers high enough to warrant not switching staves because you'd lose the damage bonus granted by your TP. This could be abused by going /SAM obviously, but you'd also lose out on all the bonuses of your mage sub...so...I dunno. Just an idea of what they could do with it.

Then again, maybe they want moar SCH/DNC nuking and then using their TP to cure party members :p
____________________________
Current games:
FFXI: Yzerman on Bahamut server
DOTA2: rslogic
#25 Jun 28 2010 at 12:09 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
372 posts
Roller wrote:
BUT, would it be stupidly broken to be able to switch out a Staff for another Staff, or a Great Axe for another Great Axe and not lose TP? The MOST broken I can see that being is TPing with something like a Ridill and switching to something like Excalibur for WS, even though I can still see Ridill's Occ atk 2-3 times proccing on WS being better overall than the extra dmg from Excalibur...so, honestly, I can't see the "broken" in that being allowed


Actually, I think that it could be broken, if you have a sam TP'ing with the Soboro Sukehiro, and WS'ing in the Hagun. (but that's me thinking as a sam)

EDIT: edited for correction on a tag

re-edit: and for spelling...

Edited, Jun 28th 2010 11:10am by Vestrivan

Edited, Jun 28th 2010 11:10am by Vestrivan
____________________________
The wise warrior will fight until he can no longer win; while the foolish warrior will never stop fighting.

MouserRDM wrote:

People think Dark Knights are the emo-boys of FFXI.

They ain't got nothin' on us Blue Mages. We kill monsters, eat their souls, and we don't even use barbecue sauce. And we're still hungry.

We're bastards.
#26 Jun 28 2010 at 12:29 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,961 posts
Ah yes...that would be quite broken.

If SCH are supposed to be "master tacticians", and TP stands for Tactical Points, my hope is that SCH will get either a JA that uses up all TP to enhance the power of their next spell, or a JT that increases spell damage relative to current TP at all times, like I posted earlier. That would be kind of cool.
____________________________
Current games:
FFXI: Yzerman on Bahamut server
DOTA2: rslogic
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 10 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (10)