Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Sch Gear QuestionsFollow

#1 Sep 25 2009 at 8:19 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
96 posts
Hi Everyone.

My Sch is almost 74 and getting to the point where I need to start getting all the gear needed to seriously Nuke. I have a few questions:

For the Sch. Gown.. it enhances Dark Arts.. but does it have be equipped at all times to get the bonus.. or JUST when you use Dark Arts

Also I have been looking at combinations of the Errant, Goliard, and Cobra (windurst) Campaign gear in order to maximize my potential.

This is my first Mage Job so i am kinda a n00b. but let me see here:

Phantom Tathlum vs Sturms Report?

Errant Hpl vs Scholars Gown

Do i wear 2x Diamond Rings?

#2 Sep 25 2009 at 9:25 AM Rating: Good
Guru
**
365 posts
Akibakei wrote:
For the Sch. Gown.. it enhances Dark Arts.. but does it have be equipped at all times to get the bonus.. or JUST when you use Dark Arts


You can test this yourself very easily, Use Dark Arts and see what your Elemental/Enfeebling/Dark Magic Skills jump to. Now put the gown on and check again. Lastly take the gown off and see what happens. Once you've done that you'll know you need to wear it to get the bonus. Sorry for being a smart **** but this is really easy to check in a few seconds.

Akibakei wrote:
Also I have been looking at combinations of the Errant, Goliard, and Cobra (windurst) Campaign gear in order to maximize my potential.

The only thing good about Cobra gear is the feet until you get Yigit. Even if you have the full set you'll get more damage out of mix/matching other gear.

Akibakei wrote:
Phantom Tathlum vs Sturms Report?


Phantom Always, unless you're trying to make a 320/120 build then the report might actually be useful.

Akibakei wrote:
Errant Hpl vs Scholars Gown


For EXP Errant always, even for a lot of events and or NMs/HNMs Errant.

Akibakei wrote:
Do i wear 2x Diamond Rings?


At the very least yes. Snow Ring x2 or Omniscient Ring x2 are better.

____________________________
Bismarck: Zagen
#3 Sep 25 2009 at 9:33 AM Rating: Excellent
**
323 posts
Zagen wrote:
Akibakei wrote:
Errant Hpl vs Scholars Gown


For EXP Errant always, even for a lot of events and or NMs/HNMs Errant.


I was actually wondering about this myself recently. Assuming you had 8/8 elemental magic merits the Scholar's Gown seems like it would be overkill against regular mobs, but is Errant/Mahatma really the best option?

The other alternatives I can think of are Morgana's Coteharde and ACP body with Matt/Macc. RR would give you better damage potential than Errant while providing probably slightly more Macc (I'm guessing; don't know if anyone has done the maths and worked this out). Morgana's will obviously give the highest damage potential but how often can you get away with the loss of macc? Is it only really useful for things like puddings or is it feasable against harder mobs?

My SCH is 59 at the moment so I don't really have any experience, just speculating.
____________________________
[Ragnarok]
Kalessin: DRG75 SAM75 BLU75 BST75
Heph: SCH70
#4 Sep 25 2009 at 9:33 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
96 posts
Yes the Cobra Feet was the only piece i was eyeing.. and i know Yigit is great and i am working towards them. i am planning to mix and match between AF, Cobra, and Goliard (and yigit once i get some)

Ok this is my first mage job.. and i have only healed so far.. what is a 320/120 build?

as far as the gown.. again i have yet to really nuke.. i mostly pretty much only heal right now in EXP and have yet to have the need to break out Dark Arts. but thanks for the reply even if it was a little snarky :)

but wait.. Gown has to be worn to get the bonus.. so why would i still stick with Errant on End game? wouldnt the +15 skills > the Int?
#5 Sep 25 2009 at 9:39 AM Rating: Good
Sage
**
597 posts
Just gonna throw in my 2 cents.


As far nuking goes, phantom tathlum always, unless you manage to land an aureole. Sturms Rep does have a use though; macroing into enfeebles such as para/slow, etc.




Personally on sky gods and HNMs I use AF body, on everything else I use morganas's cotehardie (I have 8/8 ele merits, omega ring, goli feet, gleemans cape, etc) and I do fine. I have a pretty awesome augment on errant body (magic crit rate+8% and I stick to errant for helixes, but nuking wise I go with morganas. I really dont see that -8 macc affecting my rates much.


Use diamond rings until you can get snow/tamas/omniscient

I hate all the cobra mage gear. Go get goliard or yigit feet.
#6 Sep 25 2009 at 9:42 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
****
4,415 posts
KalessinMC wrote:
Zagen wrote:
Akibakei wrote:
Errant Hpl vs Scholars Gown


For EXP Errant always, even for a lot of events and or NMs/HNMs Errant.


I was actually wondering about this myself recently. Assuming you had 8/8 elemental magic merits the Scholar's Gown seems like it would be overkill against regular mobs, but is Errant/Mahatma really the best option?

The other alternatives I can think of are Morgana's Coteharde and ACP body with Matt/Macc. RR would give you better damage potential than Errant while providing probably slightly more Macc (I'm guessing; don't know if anyone has done the maths and worked this out). Morgana's will obviously give the highest damage potential but how often can you get away with the loss of macc? Is it only really useful for things like puddings or is it feasable against harder mobs?

My SCH is 59 at the moment so I don't really have any experience, just speculating.


I use Morgana's on my RDM/SCH (same Elemental skill cap as SCH/RDM, just no Tier IVs) on all but the most resistant mobs, which I use Royal Redingote with mACC/MAB, and it works great. The mACC-8 looks daunting, but consider how easy it is to floor resists on most things with Errant, and then consider that there is only a 13 mACC difference between Errant body and Morgana's. Swap Vicious Mufflers to Goliard (+4 mACC -1 MAB), and Philomath Stole to Elemental Torque (+7 mACC ~-1.5 MAB), and you're pretty much there to switch Errant to Morgana's (-13 mACC ~+3 MAB). Although you probably won't even need to do that.

Akibakei wrote:
but wait.. Gown has to be worn to get the bonus.. so why would i still stick with Errant on End game? wouldnt the +15 skills > the Int?


I don't know how much reading you've done on SCH, but unlike melee jobs, on mage jobs Skill pretty much is the same thing as Magic Accuracy; there is no damage bonus that comes with high skill, so a 320/120 (320 Skill/120 INT) exists for resistant mobs. It won't deal as much burst damage as an unresisted max damage nuke, but it will land much more consistently. As opposed to melee jobs, where +Skill = +Attack/+ACC, +Elemental Skill = +Magic ACC.

Edited, Sep 25th 2009 11:46am by Aliekber
____________________________
Aliekber
RDM BLU SCH DRG PLD BLM NIN WHM
Linkshell: CrimsonMercenaries Server: Carbamesh

Sandinmygum the Stupendous wrote:
Human (?) females look ugly.
Post in /K/ where the orbital laser system is now online.
#7 Sep 25 2009 at 11:09 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
96 posts
Quote:
I don't know how much reading you've done on SCH, but unlike melee jobs, on mage jobs Skill pretty much is the same thing as Magic Accuracy; there is no damage bonus that comes with high skill, so a 320/120 (320 Skill/120 INT) exists for resistant mobs. It won't deal as much burst damage as an unresisted max damage nuke, but it will land much more consistently. As opposed to melee jobs, where +Skill = +Attack/+ACC, +Elemental Skill = +Magic ACC.



AhHa!

That explains it perfectly. Like i said this IS my first mage job to take past being a Sub and in EXP i rarely do anything but heal and the occasional enfeeble. This explains ALOT.

So if all my skills are maxed and I am using the Appropriate Torque (enfeebling, elemental) then i should probably go with Int/MAttk Bonus because it will increase my overall damage as long as i am sticking my spells.

Although MACC > Int > MP on enfeebles if its available.

Also in Nuking MAttk > Int > MACC > MP right?

EDIT:

One more question. Does Enhancing magic have any affect on my Storm Spells and Enspells? Just wondering if its worth getting the Enhancing torque... although it would be good for Stoneskinga and Phalanxga

Edited, Sep 25th 2009 2:46pm by Akibakei
#8 Sep 25 2009 at 11:48 AM Rating: Good
Sage
**
597 posts
Use a mnd+ neck for stoneskin (promise badge or morganas choker), pick up an enhancing torque asap for phalanxga and enspellga. Enhancing magic raises the dmg of enspells as well as lessening resists on them. Also phalanx/enspellga in af pants/torque and as you get a chance to better your gear add relic body, augmented fay staff and augmenting earring into the mix. Theres a sea cape with enhan+ also iirc.
#9 Sep 25 2009 at 12:23 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
**
365 posts
Akibakei wrote:
Also in Nuking MAttk > Int > MACC > MP right?


For Tier IVs yes, 3~INT = 1 MAB for them. For Tier 3s it gets a little fuzzier because the INT to MAB difference is lessened so sometimes INT > MAB depending on the slot.


Akibakei wrote:
One more question. Does Enhancing magic have any affect on my Storm Spells and Enspells? Just wondering if its worth getting the Enhancing torque... although it would be good for Stoneskinga and Phalanxga


Enhancing Torque is good for:
Enspells
Phalanx
Stoneskin - Note: if you don't have any MND+5 neck. Once you get over 180 Skill 3MND = 1 Enhancing Skill. So usually MND will give you more benefits over Skill, this is the same reason Errant > AF Legs for Stoneskin.

Storm spells get no bonus from Enhancing they are fixed duration and fixed effect at 1x Weather.
____________________________
Bismarck: Zagen
#10 Sep 25 2009 at 1:45 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
96 posts
Thank you guys for helping a Mage noob! I am almost 74 and will get 75 asap and be able to start having fun nuking... thanks so much for the info and patience :)

now i just gotta learn how to solo/kite big mobs :)
#11 Sep 29 2009 at 9:01 PM Rating: Default
15 posts
Kiting is easy: just run!
#12 Oct 02 2009 at 7:53 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
96 posts
yeah i just gotta practice and master the art of Gravity... Bind.. Bio 2... Helix... nuke.. Stoneskin.. Blink.. rinse and repeat... i guess this is how it goes..



Edited, Oct 2nd 2009 10:54am by Akibakei
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 10 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (10)