Forum Settings
       
This thread is locked

Why does an RDM cap Ice Magic merits?Follow

#52 Aug 31 2011 at 3:27 PM Rating: Good
**
824 posts
Especially when the benefits of gearswapping vastly outweigh those of /SCH!
____________________________
rdmcandie wrote:
RDM can attain an almost static 50% reduction to recast time, SCH can over shoot this for a total of 60% reduction under Alacrity (provided you are wearing loafers and keeping dark weather on yourself)

rdmcandie wrote:
MACC is a joke, any job with access to mage gear can hit close the MACC cap on legion mobs, which is why my BRD/RDM can land slow/para/blind despite having only 150 skill (from /RDM.)
#53 Aug 31 2011 at 4:43 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
8,943 posts
LyltiaofLakshmi wrote:
Semantic games won't get you out of this one, champ.

If you don't swap gear on RDM, you @#%^ing fail, end of story, your argument is invalid.


What semantics? Either Slow II is easily capped out or it isn't. You can't play both sides to whatever makes you "right".

cidbahamut wrote:
Why wouldn't you gear swap?


If you don't need to. The claim is that Slow II is sooooo easy to cap. So, if I can cap or at get very close to capping it without switching gear, WTF would I switch gear?

Fynlar wrote:
I love how I've hardly contributed to this thread, yet I've quite obviously made enough of an impression on a certain someone in here in order for my name to keep getting brought up. I feel all warm and tingly inside.

Quote:
I don't want to be lugging or switching M.Acc gear to cast slow II, when I can just cast it in my melee gear.. It's no different than what Fynlar has been arguing against /sch. The only difference is I accept the difference.


I especially love how when it's me choosing to take the easy way out on things regarding subjob choice and MP maintenance, it's sheer laziness and a refusal to accept the fact that I'm giving up Glorious Benefits; but when you're taking the easy way out with gear, you're allowed to just handwave it like it ain't no thang.

I WAS getting all warm and tingly before, but now I think I'm actually getting turned on a bit.


You overlooked my explanation. The difference is, I admit to being lazy and you're not. You're trying to pretend that x,y,z spells are necessary and blah blah, when in reality you're just too lazy to create a macro.

In our situation we're literally talking about the same effects, the effect of slow. In the other thread, we're comparing various spells, abilities, etc. The concept is still the same, but the two aren't the same. Try to keep up
____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
#54 Aug 31 2011 at 4:46 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
8,943 posts
LyltiaofLakshmi wrote:
Especially when the benefits of gearswapping vastly outweigh those of /SCH!


Gear swapping IS important and I do gear swap, just not enough. I admit that is a flaw on my part and something that I have been actively working on. I never claimed to be perfect, but that doesn't make my other points any less correct.
____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
#55 Aug 31 2011 at 4:49 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,286 posts
I don't care what it is you're casting, you don't cast in your melee gear. Ever. There is no excuse.
____________________________
Server: Midgardsormr
Occupation: Reckless Red Mage

IcookPizza wrote:

I think RDM's neurotic omniscience is sooooooo worth including in any alliance.
#56 Aug 31 2011 at 5:54 PM Rating: Good
**
824 posts
Quote:
If you don't need to. The claim is that Slow II is sooooo easy to cap. So, if I can cap or at get very close to capping it without switching gear, WTF would I switch gear?


The claim was made assuming that one uses swaps gear to cast it; it is nearly impossible to cap potency on anything above Too Weak without gear, with or without merits.

Quote:
You're trying to pretend that x,y,z spells are necessary and blah blah, when in reality you're just too lazy to create a macro.


We already explained that the problem is the JA delay before being able to use the spell is the main problem; the fact that it is more cumbersome simply makes it even less attractive, especially to 2boxers. You can give it up, now.

Quote:
I never claimed to be perfect, but that doesn't make my other points any less correct.


Except that swapping gear religiously is the one thing every halfway competent RDM masters early on; if you were new here, or new to the game, or new to RDM, it'd be one thing; but coming from someone who claims to be ahead of the curve, champions concepts that range from subpar to flat-out wrong, and endlessly berates anyone who dares disagree with them, and whose points tend to be nothing more than semantic wordplay and misdirection... my sympathy is rather limited.

Not that you had much (if any) before, but you have to realize that this pretty much kills any credibility you may have had concerning RDM.

The proper route from here is to get your house in order, get some experience playing on the same level as the rest of us, and then come back with some better ideas; nitpicking every post since your last, whining and **** calling names, and/or persisting with this nonsense, is just going to dig your hole deeper.
____________________________
rdmcandie wrote:
RDM can attain an almost static 50% reduction to recast time, SCH can over shoot this for a total of 60% reduction under Alacrity (provided you are wearing loafers and keeping dark weather on yourself)

rdmcandie wrote:
MACC is a joke, any job with access to mage gear can hit close the MACC cap on legion mobs, which is why my BRD/RDM can land slow/para/blind despite having only 150 skill (from /RDM.)
#57 Aug 31 2011 at 6:07 PM Rating: Good
***
1,018 posts
Quote:
That being said, there's still bad decisions to make, such as Slow II above (x1)

Slow II is fine with 2+ merits, for the right application.

5/5 Slow II
5/5 Bio III
Composure + Ice spikes

That's some freaky good damage mitigation; It's often the different between casting Stoneskin relgiously or not casting it once.

If you're not the tank, 6MP Paralyze is still hot. But like I said, it's all in the application.

I'd recommend 5/5 Paralyze II to most RDMs... too bad it's simply not an option for what I've committed to.
____________________________
--------- Xenith ---------
----------------------------
RDM /
*videos*
#58 Aug 31 2011 at 6:11 PM Rating: Decent
**
824 posts
Except that with a proper MND set, you can reach the dMND cap @1 merit.
____________________________
rdmcandie wrote:
RDM can attain an almost static 50% reduction to recast time, SCH can over shoot this for a total of 60% reduction under Alacrity (provided you are wearing loafers and keeping dark weather on yourself)

rdmcandie wrote:
MACC is a joke, any job with access to mage gear can hit close the MACC cap on legion mobs, which is why my BRD/RDM can land slow/para/blind despite having only 150 skill (from /RDM.)
#59 Aug 31 2011 at 9:48 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
7,460 posts
Almalieque wrote:
RDD wrote:
Your damage must suck as a melee RDM if you are wearing MP atmas, getting a BRD to give MP buffs and refresh gear. LOL. You are full of sh*t, I doubt you have even succeeded in soloing trash mobs for gold chests let alone anything of real value. Why don't you take the two useless points from slow II and put them in Bio III, and then tae 1 from dia and stick it there too. Wear DD atma's and have your BRD sing useful buffs.


Well obviously you know nothing about RDM melee solo. It's not about dealing damage, it's about outliving your opponent. I don't have MP atmaS. Only one, the rest are usually defense related. With the proper haste build up, enspell, capped sword with full merits, you don't worry about attack, but defense to stay alive. Now, if the mob is so lol that dying is of really no concern, then by all means, go on the offense.


LOL proper haste build up what a joke. No wonder you need to use laughable defense atma's solo. Go buy yourself a -PDT/-DT/-MDT set, get the good stuff don't cheap out. Use it then use real Atma's. If you are a proponent of tickling a mob to death this would include subbing BLU and using MM/Beyond/Cosmos to boost Sang blade as it will be your primary source of damage and healing. If /NIN dump MM atma and use a straight up melee atma set and use Evisceration or CDC.

You are **** terrible if you think offense isn't a good defense, the faster something dies, the less chance you have of **** up.

Quote:

As I said, you're nothing but a troll.


No **** but at least I am right.

Quote:
FFXI is all about +1, so therefore those two merits for slow are not useless and the brd is not always casting ballad, mostly acc and atk. I merely stated that he can if there were a need for MP, just to show you that MP is not a problem.


What you waste a BRD for ACC and ATK yet refuse to use Melee DD atmas. You are an idiot. You use the BRD to give you double march, then you use melee atmas, and use your gear to cap out damage taken. That is the dumbest **** I have ever heard. What a waste of a BRD.

Quote:
RDD wrote:
Oh somebody getting upset. Although the same could easily be said about you. But then again one of us actually knows what they are talking about, and its not you.


Says the guy who told me to get DD atmas... LOL..



Ya because capped ACC, 80% + crit rate (2K Evis or 3K CDC) or near 2K Sang Blades is a terrible idea. You keep pumping your defense atmas though and having your brd sing lolmadrigal/minuet.

Quote:

How is he good at it if he's arguing with the only person who agrees with him in a thread? He called me retarded for AGREEING WITH HIM.That's horrible trolling. On the other hand, I'm not trolling at all, I mainly just only partake in threads where I'm the opposition or else it isn't fun. The difference is, I'm not just making stuff up just to argue.


But i don't agree with you, you are an idiot, Convert is a tool, and you are to much of **** to know how to use it, especially in solo combat, thn gain having to wait 10 minutes is probably why you have no idea how to use it effectively in solo melee (ill give you a hint, using it when it puts you in one shot territory is stupid.) I also disagree with your opinion on SCH, SCH is a fluff sub, it has a bunch of neat tricks that are outshone by RDM WHM and BLM subs. Its called researching your environment and utilizing the best options available, and SCH fits none of those it is a versatile sub, and therefore can never ever be the best.

That and your merits are a **** joke, "I don't need MACC gear, but im going to dump 5 merits into 2 useless MACC categories for spells that land nearly all the time or are outright resisted." Then I am going to lecture everyone on why my setup for Atmas i awesome, I waste 3 atma slots and a BRD to balance out my pathetic approach to soloing.

Tell us the truth Alma, you haven't played since ToAU have you.

____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. **** OFF YOU. **** YOUR **** SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS **** SHITTY BINARY ASS. ALL DAY LONG.

#60 Aug 31 2011 at 10:09 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,286 posts
rdmcandie wrote:

Tell us the truth Alma, you haven't played since ToAU have you.

If he has then he certainly hasn't learned anything between then and now, and I'd wager he didn't learn much before then either.
____________________________
Server: Midgardsormr
Occupation: Reckless Red Mage

IcookPizza wrote:

I think RDM's neurotic omniscience is sooooooo worth including in any alliance.
#62 Aug 31 2011 at 11:11 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
7,460 posts
cidbahamut wrote:
I don't care what it is you're casting, you don't cast in your melee gear. Ever. There is no excuse.



This got defaulted? Actually im not surprised, given the viewership. Snipe aside, this is 100% accurate, fast cast/recast gear, interrupt gear, and cure potency gear, and nuking gear, and macc gear. Every spell a RDM casts is benefited better through gear swaps.

____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. **** OFF YOU. **** YOUR **** SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS **** SHITTY BINARY ASS. ALL DAY LONG.

#63 Sep 01 2011 at 1:09 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,018 posts
Quote:
Except that with a proper MND set, you can reach the dMND cap @1 merit.
Here's my (incomplete) counterclaim in order of importance:
______________________________________________
1/5 Slow II = 35.10%
5/5 Slow II = 39.06%
(capped dMND)

+4% might not seem like much...
But it's an upgrade to Slow II, for pete's sake!
("wait... isn't Pete's rdm is still lvl 37?")
______________________________________________
Some of us (me included) are capped on inventory space. If we want to trade or get loot, we gotta do some mog sacking first...
But what's worse is that some of us are having to decide which 10+ items to sacrifice swapping-into, simply because there's not enough f*cking inventory space (thank you, Enix).

It differs from situation to situation, but oftentimes those items are m.acc/MND/enfeebling pieces. Mog-sacking that gear becomes less detrimental with 5/5 Slow II.
______________________________________________
RDM melee is becoming more popular everyday; +8 earth m.acc (from the last 4 Slow II merits) can subtly compliment the disuse of staves/wands.
______________________________________________

Edited, Sep 1st 2011 3:12am by IcookPizza
____________________________
--------- Xenith ---------
----------------------------
RDM /
*videos*
#65 Sep 01 2011 at 2:36 AM Rating: Decent
**
824 posts
Quote:
Here's my (incomplete) counterclaim in order of importance:


Yeah my bad, totally misread the formula there, you're absolutely right. 5/5 definitely worth considering if you or your tanks are tanking without shadows a majority of the time.

Also, congrats on 1k ^^
____________________________
rdmcandie wrote:
RDM can attain an almost static 50% reduction to recast time, SCH can over shoot this for a total of 60% reduction under Alacrity (provided you are wearing loafers and keeping dark weather on yourself)

rdmcandie wrote:
MACC is a joke, any job with access to mage gear can hit close the MACC cap on legion mobs, which is why my BRD/RDM can land slow/para/blind despite having only 150 skill (from /RDM.)
#66 Sep 01 2011 at 2:43 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
8,943 posts
cidbahamut wrote:
I don't care what it is you're casting, you don't cast in your melee gear. Ever. There is no excuse.


So, when you melee, you use your Light staff (or equivalent) to cure yourself?

Lyltia wrote:
The claim was made assuming that one uses swaps gear to cast it; it is nearly impossible to cap potency on anything above Too Weak without gear, with or without merits.


Exactly, it still doesn't make sense. If it's soooo easy to cap with gear swapping and 1 merit, then the more merits you use the less gear is necessary. Else, "every little bit helps" with the merit boosts. It's either one or the other. Choose a side and stick with it.

Instead of having 1 merit and a ton of gear, I would have rather have 3-5 merits and less gear. I don't see how that's so hard to understand.

Lyltia wrote:
We already explained that the problem is the JA delay before being able to use the spell is the main problem; the fact that it is more cumbersome simply makes it even less attractive, especially to 2boxers. You can give it up, now.


And we already concluded that you aren't hardly ever needing to use those spells to the point where that delay would matter. Fynlar even admitted that there wouldn't be any link/aggro issue with any worthwhile mobs, so it doesn't matter. You can give up now.

Lyltia wrote:
Except that swapping gear religiously is the one thing every halfway competent RDM masters early on; if you were new here, or new to the game, or new to RDM, it'd be one thing; but coming from someone who claims to be ahead of the curve, champions concepts that range from subpar to flat-out wrong, and endlessly berates anyone who dares disagree with them, and whose points tend to be nothing more than semantic wordplay and misdirection... my sympathy is rather limited.

Not that you had much (if any) before, but you have to realize that this pretty much kills any credibility you may have had concerning RDM.

The proper route from here is to get your house in order, get some experience playing on the same level as the rest of us, and then come back with some better ideas; nitpicking every post since your last, whining and **** calling names, and/or persisting with this nonsense, is just going to dig your hole deeper.


This is a result of being caught in the cookie cutter bandwagon nonsense. I'll ask you the same question I asked Cid. When you melee, do you switch to a light staff or equivalent to cure yourself?

If you do, then you obviously fail. Any competent RDM knows that the difference of cured HP isn't worth losing your TP given the other ways of curing yourself. The entire goal is to balance out magery and melee. So, for you to pretend that you should do a complete equipment change for every spell you cast is just plain stupid.

Just how you decided that refresh wasn't "worth" it, the same can and should be said about *certain*, not all, equipment. The game is all about trade off's where you determine what's more important based on what you're doing.

As I said, I do gear swap, just not as much as I should, but I'm gearing more and more to the *necessary* gear swaps. For example, fast cast for stoneskin.

TL;DR; You have no idea what you're talking about because you're so far behind the curve. You and your bandwagon buddies will realize this in the future and I'll be here to say "I told you so" just like I have been doing all of these years.
____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
#67 Sep 01 2011 at 2:53 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
8,943 posts
LyltiaofLakshmi wrote:
Except that with a proper MND set, you can reach the dMND cap @1 merit.


Orrrrrr... less macroed mnd gear and more merits. Not sure why you prefer the former.

RDD wrote:
LOL proper haste build up what a joke. No wonder you need to use laughable defense atma's solo. Go buy yourself a -PDT/-DT/-MDT set, get the good stuff don't cheap out. Use it then use real Atma's. If you are a proponent of tickling a mob to death this would include subbing BLU and using MM/Beyond/Cosmos to boost Sang blade as it will be your primary source of damage and healing. If /NIN dump MM atma and use a straight up melee atma set and use Evisceration or CDC.

You are **** terrible if you think offense isn't a good defense, the faster something dies, the less chance you have of @#%^ing up.


Didn't you say in the last thread that you don't do anything RDM in Abyssea because it's useless and you play other jobs? Obviously you have no idea what you're talking about. I do use -PDT/-DT/-MDT gear that I "borrowed" from my brother's account who doesn't play anymore. Except, I only use it when I feel it's necessary.

You can't say one minute that haste/acc/attk is lol, go defense go... then turn around and say that killing faster is the issue not defense!!!

It all depends on the mob that I'm fighting, depends on what I equip and what food I use. I carry that additional defense gear and use it when I feel that I need more defense, I can do that because I'm not wasting slot on M.acc when I can merit it.

It's the argument people used against Wise Gear.

Everything is situational and for you to act like there's just one gear,support buff for every scenario is evident of your ignorance.

RDD wrote:
But i don't agree with you, you are an idiot


You attacked me when we agreed, it wasn't till later before we disagreed on something. You literally said exactly my point twice in a row. You just kept talking until we disagreed.

You're just a horrible troll

Edited, Sep 1st 2011 10:56am by Almalieque
____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
#68 Sep 01 2011 at 3:02 AM Rating: Decent
Jack of All Trades
******
29,179 posts
Quote:
This is a result of being caught in the cookie cutter bandwagon nonsense. I'll ask you the same question I asked Cid. When you melee, do you switch to a light staff or equivalent to cure yourself?

If you do, then you obviously fail. Any competent RDM knows that the difference of cured HP isn't worth losing your TP given the other ways of curing yourself. The entire goal is to balance out magery and melee. So, for you to pretend that you should do a complete equipment change for every spell you cast is just plain stupid.


Because losing TP when you switch weapons is totally an excuse for not switching any other equipment.


The obvious solution here is to never cure and melee simultaneously. Because no matter what, one of them will be gimped, and your gimpiness will get you made fun of in the linkshells of your party members.
#69 Sep 01 2011 at 6:13 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,286 posts
Almalieque wrote:
cidbahamut wrote:
I don't care what it is you're casting, you don't cast in your melee gear. Ever. There is no excuse.


So, when you melee, you use your Light staff (or equivalent) to cure yourself?

No, you equip MND gear and cure potency in other slots and precast in Fast Cast gear.

God you are stupid.
____________________________
Server: Midgardsormr
Occupation: Reckless Red Mage

IcookPizza wrote:

I think RDM's neurotic omniscience is sooooooo worth including in any alliance.
#70 Sep 01 2011 at 7:13 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
7,460 posts
Quote:
Didn't you say in the last thread that you don't do anything RDM in Abyssea because it's useless and you play other jobs?


No I stopped using RDM in groups because it was useless, anything my RDM gave to a group my BLM/WHM did just as well and offered much more. As for solo, I stopped using RDM because both my DNC and BLM got the job done faster, RDM is horribly time inefficient by comparison, for Nuke solo's BLM trumps RDM, and for melee solo's it isn't even a contest.
____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. **** OFF YOU. **** YOUR **** SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS **** SHITTY BINARY ASS. ALL DAY LONG.

#71 Sep 01 2011 at 9:44 AM Rating: Good
***
3,059 posts
LyltiaofLakshmi wrote:
Except that with a proper MND set, you can reach the dMND cap @1 merit.

You can't know that. No one's mapped out the MND values or slow potency for everything outside of Abyssea, let alone inside, and this isn't over trash fodder either.

IcookPizza wrote:
ohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygod
ONE THOUSAND POSTS!

A-nah nah nahhhhh nah, jicca jicca wow wowwww. Beeedlie-beedlie bop! Ahhh if you want my booody annnnd you think i'm **** come on sugar let me know (dun nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh) doo doo doo DOOO Dooo.... doo-nu-nu-nu-nu-nu, doo-nu-nu-nu-nu-nu. Wyrrrrrrrrr blrrr blrr (boom) In a couple of years they have built a home sweet home (DAH DAHHHH, DAH DAHHHH, DAH DAHHHH, DAH DAHHHH, dahhhhhhhhh) With a couple of kids- running iiiin a yard... of Desmond and Molly Jo-o-o-ones mmm(hah hah hah hah!) Dale a tu cuerpo alegria Macarena, Que tu cuerpo es pa' darle alegria y cosa buena, Dale a tu cuerpo alegria, Macarena, HHHHHHHEYYYY MACARENA (AH-AYHH!)boooooooooooob scotch boob scotch on the rockkkkks WAH HAAAAH

One thouuusand, one thouuusand, one thousssssand!

One-y, one-y, one-y, one-y, one-y THOW! SAND!

Thousand baby! Thou shalt thousand get!

BA-DOOOMMM, BA- R-RA-ROOM, BAA-ROOM, BAAA-ROOMM, BAAAROOOOM, BAAA-DOOOW, ... NO-OOOO, NYAH, OH, OH-OH, OHH, OMIGOD, oohhhhh, OOO, OOOH, OOOOO, OOOOOO, OOO. ... AGOOOOOGAH, AH-HAH, AH, AHA, AHHH, AHHHHHH!

Sir. I concur.

Edited, Sep 1st 2011 9:46am by jlejeune
____________________________
"And I'm prepared to passionately argue this point until nothing makes sense anymore. If that doesn't work, then the hours upon hours of whining will." -Red Mage Statscowski

Saggo of Garuda Lakshmi
#72 Sep 01 2011 at 10:51 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
7,460 posts
Quote:
You can't know that. No one's mapped out the MND values or slow potency for everything outside of Abyssea, let alone inside, and this isn't over trash fodder either.
Pretty sure the cap requires 75dMND I don't see why this value would magically change all of the sudden. Not that it really matters.

using above numbers.(ys i understnd they are dMND capped bu that is irrelevant as the % values would change the same.) @ 300 delay

300*1.3510 = 405.3/60 = 6.755
300*1.3906 = 417.18/60 = 6.953

Less than .2 seconds difference between 1 merit and 5 merits. You ain't going to see sh*t all difference with 1/5 vs 3/5 or 2/5, or really 4/5. **** 5/5 isn't even worth the merits when you could put those merits to better use going 5/5 Bio (based on almas WTF merit choices.)





Edited, Sep 2nd 2011 11:19am by rdmcandie
____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. **** OFF YOU. **** YOUR **** SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS **** SHITTY BINARY ASS. ALL DAY LONG.

#73 Sep 01 2011 at 12:45 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,059 posts
The dMND cap always remains 75 for each, merits just adjust a multiplier that raises cap. But that's merely an aside and not what was put forth.

You can't know you've always capped dMND, that's entirely dependant on the target, dMND being, you know, the difference in MND. And last I checked, you don't know the MND value of every target. Abyssea certainly blew the lid off that, even I rearranged my merits after Abyssea (and a lesser extent Saboteur). But that's only under the assumption that a player has all relevant abyssites and-slash-or atmas, Voidwatch included. It's a poorly thought out argument to say a decent set always capped it.

As for your cap comparison, which isn't all that news-breaking, 2 seconds has as much potential to change a fight as a single maybe-might-proc paralyze merit, a couple points of phalanx mitigation, a couple extra recasts of Dia III or Bio III. What makes it so salivating is that it's always there. You can actually rely on Slow II.

Edited, Sep 1st 2011 1:01pm by jlejeune
____________________________
"And I'm prepared to passionately argue this point until nothing makes sense anymore. If that doesn't work, then the hours upon hours of whining will." -Red Mage Statscowski

Saggo of Garuda Lakshmi
#74 Sep 01 2011 at 4:49 PM Rating: Decent
**
785 posts
Am I reading it wrong or is it 0.2 second delay, or 2 second delay?



Edited, Sep 1st 2011 7:50pm by Neisan
#75 Sep 01 2011 at 5:26 PM Rating: Good
***
3,059 posts
It's .2 secs. Personally never cared about the 39% cap, I used the merits to reach 35% easier, which is around the edge Ichi can be freely cast without FC on most fights.
____________________________
"And I'm prepared to passionately argue this point until nothing makes sense anymore. If that doesn't work, then the hours upon hours of whining will." -Red Mage Statscowski

Saggo of Garuda Lakshmi
#76 Sep 01 2011 at 6:53 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,286 posts
Well I'd do this:
5 Ice
5 Convert
1 Para II
1 Slow II
1 Blind II
2 Dia III
5 Phalanx II

Reasoning on the first has been restated enough that you don't need to hear it again.

As for the second:
Para/Slow at higher levels has obvious value. Blind is better than you think when you have an evasion tank, which should be every time you have a tank at all (even when you don't, it increases shield and parry too so it's never worthless). Phalanx II is just free value without sub dependency, and the duration is fantastic. Dia III at 1 min recast is infrequent enough to maintain without irritation. At 30 seconds it's a huge pain in the butt. The effect is too good not to have.
____________________________
Danita of Siren
Be rational.
-
-
HappyEnding
My Brute
My Pandora Station
#77 Sep 01 2011 at 7:41 PM Rating: Decent
**
785 posts
Shield and Parry proc rate on anything above EM was floored last I bothered to check (for Rdm, Pld evades like a brick in the first place...). Possibly not for anyone with capped skill/merits/etc. but I'm fairly certain hardly anyone bothers.



Edited, Sep 2nd 2011 12:09am by Neisan
#78 Sep 02 2011 at 9:18 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
7,460 posts
Neisan wrote:
Am I reading it wrong or is it 0.2 second delay, or 2 second delay?


its .2 i just forgot to put in the "." Thats why slow past 1 merit point is pretty neglible.



Edited, Sep 2nd 2011 11:18am by rdmcandie
____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. **** OFF YOU. **** YOUR **** SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS **** SHITTY BINARY ASS. ALL DAY LONG.

#79 Sep 02 2011 at 10:22 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
8,943 posts
Fynlar wrote:
Because losing TP when you switch weapons is totally an excuse for not switching any other equipment.


Except I never implied that. I even said that I do gear swaps, I just don't do a full change. For example, Esto hands+1 + sabo + slow II. My point was to counter that stupid notion that you should never cast in melee gear ever. You do and you fail if you don't.

Cid wrote:
No, you equip MND gear and cure potency in other slots and precast in Fast Cast gear.

God you are stupid.


Sooooooo. you DO cast in melee gear. Just checking because I could have sworn you said that RDMs should never cast in melee gear. Last time I checked, most swords are for melee and do not out beneift clubs/staves in the magery realm.


____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
#87 Sep 03 2011 at 6:54 AM Rating: Excellent
Enough of this. Can't a single topic in the Rdm forums or even somewhat pertaining to Rdm not degrade into this tirade of flaming and trolling? You guys wonder why I had to lock the job adjustments, but this right here is a perfect indicator as to why. This started as a legitimate question as to why Rdm tend to cap out Ice Magic merits, and it's degraded to the point that a good number of posts are nothing more than just pointless bashing

Alma, towards you in particular since I've seen this several times now, going around and calling people trolls all the time simply because they have a counterpoint to yours doesn't help your case at all. My #1 rule when it comes to arguing or debating something is that if I'm going to insult the opposing side, then I've already lost the argument. How do you expect them to respond? Do you think they'll just be like, "Well...he called me a troll. I guess I deserved it and I should listen to what he has to say now"? No, they're likely going to respond to your negative, derogatory attitude towards them with equal negativity.

I've said it several times so far, but if you guys disagree with what's being said, then just argue the point that's being said, don't insult the person saying it. If they come to agree with you, that's great, and if they don't, then it's better to just walk away and not bother with it, because once you start flaming, then you're only getting yourself in trouble. Regardless of whether your intentions are to try and keep what the other person is saying from being spread cause you feel it's bad advice, or you just have a grudge against them and their play style, flaming isn't the way to go.

I'm not saying that I want you guys to hold hands and become the best of friends, but at least try to be a bit more respectful, and I mean this towards everyone involved in here.

Edited, Sep 3rd 2011 9:11am by Vlorsutes
____________________________
Lady Jinte wrote:

Vlorsutes' Negotiation Skill rises 0.2 points
Vlorsutes' Observant Parent Skill rises 0.3 points
Vlorsutes' Argument Diffusing Skill rises 0.1 points


My thoughts and reviews on all sorts of sci-fi stuff...and things.
#88 Sep 03 2011 at 7:39 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
7,460 posts
Quote:
Sooooooo. you DO cast in melee gear. Just checking because I could have sworn you said that RDMs should never cast in melee gear. Last time I checked, most swords are for melee and do not out beneift clubs/staves in the magery realm.


Actually you are incorrect again. A sword is one of RDM's best options for MACC related use. Yes you won't get added MND or INT of a Club/Shield, or the MATK of a Staff, but using a sword allows you to use death blossom if MACC is a huge issue, allowing you to equip more stat gears in other places over MACC.

Not that it really matters, at the very least you should be using Fast Cast/Recast gear. The only time you need to swap a sword is when you are nuking to MB, which is acceptable considering you will be opening or closing a SC and thus have dumped your TP in the process.

I don't know why you read so much into small **** you obviously know what was meant, and are arguing semantics, poorly as usual.
____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. **** OFF YOU. **** YOUR **** SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS **** SHITTY BINARY ASS. ALL DAY LONG.

#89 Sep 03 2011 at 9:47 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,018 posts
Quote:
Sooooooo. you DO cast in melee gear. Just checking because I could have sworn you said that RDMs should never cast in melee gear. Last time I checked, most swords are for melee and do not out beneift clubs/staves in the magery realm.
Incorrect. Even without a Sanguine Blade subjob (which can cure more efficiently than light staff cures, and saves your MP to continue nuking more often than with elemental staves)... Sword can be the better mage option.

If a mob dies faster, you're saving MP, and possibly your life.

There's no good reason for casting in melee armor.

Quote:
Enough of this. Can't a single topic in the Rdm forums or even somewhat pertaining to Rdm not degrade into this tirade of flaming and trolling?
If I can't flame/troll here, I'm gonna flame/troll in real life.

You asked for it!

Edited, Sep 3rd 2011 11:51am by IcookPizza
____________________________
--------- Xenith ---------
----------------------------
RDM /
*videos*
#90 Sep 03 2011 at 10:23 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
8,943 posts
Vlorsutes wrote:
Alma, towards you in particular since I've seen this several times now, going around and calling people trolls all the time simply because they have a counterpoint to yours doesn't help your case at all. My #1 rule when it comes to arguing or debating something is that if I'm going to insult the opposing side, then I've already lost the argument. How do you expect them to respond? Do you think they'll just be like, "Well...he called me a troll. I guess I deserved it and I should listen to what he has to say now"? No, they're likely going to respond to your negative, derogatory attitude towards them with equal negativity.


Since you felt the necessity to single me out as if I said or done anything wrong, I will respond. You're no different. RDD is a troll and he has admitted as such so you have no argument against me. So, either be an admin and address everyone equally or leave me out of it. I have not called a single person stupid, idiotic, etc. while others have said similar terms, yet you still feel the need to call me out. Because of that, your words have absolutely no value to me.

ICP wrote:
Incorrect. Even without a Sanguine Blade subjob (which can cure more efficiently than light staff cures, and saves your MP to continue nuking more often than with elemental staves)... Sword can be the better mage option.


False. Just because it gives hp doesn't make it a "mage" ability. Chakra isn't magery. Sanguine Blade is melee attack that is designed to give you hp. It's not magery but melee.

Edited, Sep 3rd 2011 6:27pm by Almalieque
____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
#91 Sep 03 2011 at 10:44 AM Rating: Good
**
824 posts
Alma wrote:
I have not called a single person stupid, idiotic, etc. while others have said similar terms, yet you still feel the need to call me out. Because of that, your words have absolutely no value to me.


Alma wrote:
Everything is situational and for you to act like there's just one gear,support buff for every scenario is evident of your ignorance.

You're just a horrible troll

So, for you to pretend that you should do a complete equipment change for every spell you cast is just plain stupid.

You have no idea what you're talking about because you're so far behind the curve.

when in reality you're just too lazy to create a macro.

Even though it isn't necessary, it's the "Fynlar laziness" concept.

And I can say that you're a horrible troll and full of trash.

As I said, you're nothing but a troll.

You're just a horrible troll


From this thread alone.

And before you waste your time quoting all of my insults, of which there are many, know that I take full ownership of them, and mean every last one. I certainly wouldn't deny them when pressed by an Admin, as you so laughably have.

Edited, Sep 3rd 2011 12:53pm by LyltiaofLakshmi
____________________________
rdmcandie wrote:
RDM can attain an almost static 50% reduction to recast time, SCH can over shoot this for a total of 60% reduction under Alacrity (provided you are wearing loafers and keeping dark weather on yourself)

rdmcandie wrote:
MACC is a joke, any job with access to mage gear can hit close the MACC cap on legion mobs, which is why my BRD/RDM can land slow/para/blind despite having only 150 skill (from /RDM.)
#92 Sep 03 2011 at 11:03 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,278 posts
Group 1

5/5 Ice
5/5 Convert


Convert Merits, No brain-er. In situations in which you're pushing MP the timer difference is noticeable and appreciated.

Ice Merits just make the most sense to me. Ice is a really powerful element given weakness correlation, and it works across the board for my offensive and debuff spells. Enblizzard, Blizzard, Bind and Paralyze all work on the Ice Element, and all benefit from having as much native accuracy bonus as possible.


Group II

3/5 Dia III
5/5 Paralyze II
1/5 Slow II
1/5 Blind II

Dia beats Bio in the majority of situations for me. 5% attack reduction is irrelevant when the monster is suffering from heavy debuffing and if I'm having difficulties maintaining buffs, I can always swap to blink tanking or stack on some extra %damage taken gear. However, in situations in which I'm not alone, the Defense down is highly worthwhile, especially in the company of lighter DDs, pet classes, and Blue Mage, which I frequently kept company of. 1:30 duration seems like a fairly comfortable duration for me.

Paralyze to Paralyze II can be the difference of night and day, and Saboteaur accentuates this more. A Saboteaured Para II can lock down a Dynamis Monk 2hr. (and with a DNC tank, that's important.) Solo, it's a good spell to have around when blink tanking as Ice Spikes do nothing for you at that point. That said, looking at my merits as a whole, you can tell I go full potency on Paralyze, relying on merits to help with accuracy troubles. If you land it, you want it to go as hard as you can because if you get lucky with it, it WILL out preform Slow II, but if you botch the rato, it's not even worth the merits. It's a high risk, high reward spell, so I stack the deck on it.

Slow II stays at one mainly because if I won't go 5/5, difference is negligible otherwise. But it's default potency is superior to that of Slow II and it overwrites haste. Given Saboteur, it can help cripple a monster quickly. Kinda foolish not to have this spell at least 1/5. However, given so many go 5/5 on it and my merits lean to ice, I opted for stacking Paralyze to full.

That leaves my most controversial merit, the 1/5 into Blind II.

Put simply, the floor potency of this spell is 3 times more powerful than the floor of Blind I, and just 5 accuracy short of Blind I's cap. At is cap, it matches the Ni version Ninja debuff.

In any situation in which I'm soloing something that's not an NM, my evasion isn't floored OR capped, so this provides an extra layer of defense for me that makes up for the absence of Bio III. Additionally, when I'm with allies, I often have a Dancer Tank, in which case evasion still isn't floored, and it can be used as a substitute to the Ninja version if not available (or the /nin can't land theirs.) This is to insure that we have some sort of evasion enhancement in the party at all times, and that the baseline of it is far higher than Blind 1.

One might note about the MP intensity of trying to maintain all of these debuffs, but I've managed my MP without any form of autorefresh for years. And now between Refresh II and the fact that I'm getting a fair amount of Auto Refresh gear for idling in backline I really haven't noticed the drain much at all. Comparatively, the higher potency is more important to me.
#93 Sep 03 2011 at 11:04 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
7,460 posts
Quote:
False. Just because it gives hp doesn't make it a "mage" ability. Chakra isn't magery. Sanguine Blade is melee attack that is designed to give you hp. It's not magery but melee.


Evidently you really have no idea how this game works. Sanguine saves MP and therefor directly extends the ability to be magelike. Unless you think Conserve MP traits, Refresh Effects, Sublimation, and Convert are not mage related. (each use amounts to about cure 4.5 and saves you 270ish MP every 3 uses.)





Edited, Sep 3rd 2011 1:06pm by rdmcandie
____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. **** OFF YOU. **** YOUR **** SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS **** SHITTY BINARY ASS. ALL DAY LONG.

#94 Sep 03 2011 at 11:12 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,278 posts
rdmcandie wrote:
Quote:
False. Just because it gives hp doesn't make it a "mage" ability. Chakra isn't magery. Sanguine Blade is melee attack that is designed to give you hp. It's not magery but melee.


Evidently you really have no idea how this game works. Sanguine saves MP and therefor directly extends the ability to be magelike. Unless you think Conserve MP traits, Refresh Effects, Sublimation, and Convert are not mage related. (each use amounts to about cure 4.5 and saves you 270ish MP every 3 uses.)





Edited, Sep 3rd 2011 1:06pm by rdmcandie


I agree Sanguine Blade is Mage-like, but this is a bad justification for it.


Better to say Sanguine Blade is an ability that deals Magical Damage and benefits from Magical Attack bonus.

Healing as a Utility is not solely a mage Trait, any more than Waltzes make Dancer a mage.

Does it save MP? Yes. But it is a weapon skill, not a spell. What makes it Mage-like is the modifiers, not the HP restoration. It is a great utility, however.
#95 Sep 03 2011 at 12:05 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
7,460 posts
What ever floats your boat. Its magelike because it saves lots of MP. Which allows you to use more spells, which allows you to kill faster/safer, saving more MP in the process. Aeolian Edge for example, is not mage like, it benefits our mage side in really no way at all.

Edited, Sep 3rd 2011 2:50pm by rdmcandie
____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. **** OFF YOU. **** YOUR **** SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS **** SHITTY BINARY ASS. ALL DAY LONG.

#96 Sep 03 2011 at 12:08 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,278 posts
So, following your logic...

Dancer in it's entirety is 'magelike'.

As is a PLD's JA set. Weapon bash, and every other JA or WS that has some sort of utility?

That's a really brash generalization, man.

Edited, Sep 3rd 2011 2:08pm by Hyrist
#97 Sep 03 2011 at 12:52 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
7,460 posts
No DNC is not magelike it does no function at all with MP and therefor has no benefit from abilities that would support such (ie. Aspir Samba).

As usual you are thinking way to literally. Im not really that surprised though.

Edited, Sep 3rd 2011 2:53pm by rdmcandie
____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. **** OFF YOU. **** YOUR **** SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS **** SHITTY BINARY ASS. ALL DAY LONG.

#98 Sep 03 2011 at 1:51 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,278 posts
Ok, that was off-handed. I was pointing out how your argument had no real basis.

You're making an argument that because a spell CAN assist someone's MP pool, that it's mage like. That it is mage-like.

There's no 'taking it literally' it is what you are saying.

I mean, aruging your logic back against you. Just because Aspir Samba dosen't return the DNC back Mana, doesn't stop it from being "Mage Like"

Remember Aspir Samba is a subbable ability. Obviously it is mage-like because it restores MP.

Same thing with the Waltzes I can use to save myself some MP when I sub it.

It's probably the same thing people got upset at me for when I said "gimick" instead of "crutch" with stun. Which is why I'm more sensitive to it right now.

Sanguine Blade functions more like a support ability looking at the raw mechanics.

It's "Mage-Like" in that it prefers magical stats to Physical Stats, much in the way all Magical Weapon Skills do. Curing is just a perk of it.

If it was a "Cure" that relied on Say, Dexterity and your Defense, and used TP, it would be a lot less "mage like" and more just a utility that's useful to saving our MP.
#99 Sep 03 2011 at 2:09 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
7,460 posts
So wait restoring MP through melee (aspir samba) is mage like, how is getting a free cure 4.5 every couple dozen seconds not. Instead of restoring MP, it removes the need to use it entirely. You can't argue one is and not the other.

Then again, you are likely arguing for sake of arguing.

As for "curing" being a perk, no. Curing is the whole reason to use Sanguine Blade, if it wasn't needed, or wanted, to conserve MP or even be used in conjunction for HP spammy moments. Otherwise it is more beneficial to use Evis or CDC, as faster kills are better. The only reason one would opt for Sang over Evis/CDC is for the heal. The fact that it has very favorable mods is the perk.


(and stun isn't a gimmick, it is pretty much the only reason to /BLM over /SCH, and is the only reason /BLM is better sub then /SCH.)

Edited, Sep 3rd 2011 4:13pm by rdmcandie
____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. **** OFF YOU. **** YOUR **** SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS **** SHITTY BINARY ASS. ALL DAY LONG.

#100 Sep 03 2011 at 10:56 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
8,943 posts
LyltiaofLakshmi wrote:
Alma wrote:
I have not called a single person stupid, idiotic, etc. while others have said similar terms, yet you still feel the need to call me out. Because of that, your words have absolutely no value to me.


Alma wrote:
Everything is situational and for you to act like there's just one gear,support buff for every scenario is evident of your ignorance.

You're just a horrible troll

So, for you to pretend that you should do a complete equipment change for every spell you cast is just plain stupid.

You have no idea what you're talking about because you're so far behind the curve.

when in reality you're just too lazy to create a macro.

Even though it isn't necessary, it's the "Fynlar laziness" concept.

And I can say that you're a horrible troll and full of trash.

As I said, you're nothing but a troll.

You're just a horrible troll


From this thread alone.

And before you waste your time quoting all of my insults, of which there are many, know that I take full ownership of them, and mean every last one. I certainly wouldn't deny them when pressed by an Admin, as you so laughably have.

Edited, Sep 3rd 2011 12:53pm by LyltiaofLakshmi


Lol- "laughable"... this is sad. As I stated, I never said anything along those lines.You obviousuly fail to differentiate stating an objective fact vs an opinionated insult. How you compare stating one's ignorance with calling someone "stupid" is laughable. With the things being said on this forum, the stuff I said falls short of "insult". So, for me to be singled out is unprofessional and BS.

-stating your ignorance isn't an insult. It's the polite way of stating that you don't understand something.

-Calling a troll a troll is not an insult. Rather you are trolling intentionally or not, when you consisently use various view points just to oppose me, instead of agreeing with a single concept, then you are trolling.

You notice when everyone disagreed with RDD's thought about /sch for nuking? He admittedly said "I'll take your word for it". Yet he spent post after post arguing with me when we were initially in agreemenet just to find something to be against.

-being behind the curve is a fact. I've been arguing the same stuff for years that people have just now decided to go along with. That is, unless you're denying the anti-RDM melee era. I've been doing RDM melee in/out pt since 2003. All of the stuff that you all bringing up as issues, I debunked years ago.

-Fynlar is being lazy, he said himself that it was too "cumbersome" to use a /ja for a spell that he admits isn't used for any "worthwhile" mob. That is laziness. Again, not subjective, but a fact.

- I could give you the "full of trash" comment, but that also is a fact as Fylnar even admitted himself that he wasn't needing sleep while fighting worth while mobs. Which means you don't need sleep readily available. Also, that comment of people dying due to referesh was indeed garbage if you are casting sleep. I already pointed out that mobs don't differentiate between the spells you cast.

The bottom line was that Fylnar painted this scenario when in reality it was multiple scenarios. Just like when he said was duo-box, but then said he would check to see what the other people were subbing and tried to use that horrible save of "well technically 2 people is a group". That would have saved him if he didn't already state that the other character was a monk. So, instead of just admitting to being wrong, he kept making stuff up until he finally gave up.
____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
#101 Sep 03 2011 at 11:04 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
8,943 posts
The bottom line is that if you were on the backline, then you wouldn't have a sword equipped. You're simply having the sword equipped because you realize the benefits of doing that WS outweighs the bonus of gear swapping for a cure spell.

Back in the day, people argued that a RDM should never have 100% TP. They wanted you to change out to staves for EVERY spell. SB only cures you, not anyone else. So, unless you're willing to switch to a staff/club to cure someone else, then you are indeed casting in melee gear.

It's not a bad thing because the benefits outweigh the cost.
____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
This thread is locked
You cannot post in a locked topic!
Recent Visitors: 18 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (18)