Forum Settings
       
This thread is locked

Why does an RDM cap Ice Magic merits?Follow

#102 Sep 03 2011 at 11:58 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,018 posts
Are there situations when RDM could viably swap staves?
Yes.
Are there situations when RDM could viably use sword?
Yes.
Are there situations when DD armor is viable idle gear?
Yes.

WOO-HOO I've correctly answered three trivia questions!

Almalieque's turn! First question...
...Are there situations when DD armor is intelligent to cast spells in?
*tick tock tick tock*

Edited, Sep 4th 2011 1:59am by IcookPizza
____________________________
--------- Xenith ---------
----------------------------
RDM /
*videos*
#103 Sep 04 2011 at 12:04 AM Rating: Decent
**
824 posts
Believe it or not Alma, some people get insulted when someone calls them ignorant, lazy, or a troll. What you said and whatever intent you had are only half of the equation.

I suppose you're too self-absorbed in your own little world to realize that.
____________________________
rdmcandie wrote:
RDM can attain an almost static 50% reduction to recast time, SCH can over shoot this for a total of 60% reduction under Alacrity (provided you are wearing loafers and keeping dark weather on yourself)

rdmcandie wrote:
MACC is a joke, any job with access to mage gear can hit close the MACC cap on legion mobs, which is why my BRD/RDM can land slow/para/blind despite having only 150 skill (from /RDM.)
#104 Sep 04 2011 at 2:25 AM Rating: Excellent
Alma, there were actually a few reasons as to why I opted to "single" you out, and none of them were meant to entail any malice or ill-will towards you. Primarily though, the reason I did so was because when I receive reports on post content, I will often make specific reference to the person whose post has been reported, so there's no question as to who I am addressing. Some may find it embarrassing, but many times have I ran into people that would continue to behave inappropriately because they "didn't know I was meaning them" when I'd make a comment in a topic.

As for you feeling that the comments you made weren't insulting, just because you don't find them insulting or offensive doesn't mean that the person you're directing them to feels the same way. Though some people might just take it in stride or openly accept that they're trolling, there are others that genuinely dislike it. I mean, if memory serves, you took some offense to being called a troll in the past, so you can understand how others might as well.

My warning stands though towards everyone in here involved; though you may not like the other person, at least try to show some respect towards them and cut out the name calling or rude remarks. Not only is it hurting your case on the matter by being rude in your posts, you also run the risk of getting in trouble. Like I said before, I don't expect you guys to become friends, I just want you all to lay off the negative, condescending comments and at least be a bit more respectful.
____________________________
Lady Jinte wrote:

Vlorsutes' Negotiation Skill rises 0.2 points
Vlorsutes' Observant Parent Skill rises 0.3 points
Vlorsutes' Argument Diffusing Skill rises 0.1 points


My thoughts and reviews on all sorts of sci-fi stuff...and things.
#105 Sep 04 2011 at 3:20 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
8,912 posts
IcookPizza wrote:
Are there situations when RDM could viably swap staves?
Yes.
Are there situations when RDM could viably use sword?
Yes.
Are there situations when DD armor is viable idle gear?
Yes.

WOO-HOO I've correctly answered three trivia questions!

Almalieque's turn! First question...
...Are there situations when DD armor is intelligent to cast spells in?
*tick tock tick tock*

Edited, Sep 4th 2011 1:59am by IcookPizza

Yes.. When I cast 3 merited Slow II on a mob with Sabo+ esto +1 hands with a bard's elegy (gain mnd if I wanted), I see absolutely no benefit in carrying extra mnd/ m.acc gear to further enhance slow while meleeing.

ICP's turn... If every little bit counts, then why not go 5/5 slow II? If every lit bit doesn't count, then what's the big deal? Is that combo above not good enough to get the job done?

GO!
LyltiaofLakshmi wrote:
Believe it or not Alma, some people get insulted when someone calls them ignorant, lazy, or a troll. What you said and whatever intent you had are only half of the equation.

I suppose you're too self-absorbed in your own little world to realize that.


1. A self proclaimed troll can't be offended by being called a troll.

2. If you are trolling, then you shouldn't be offended by being called a troll. If you don't want to be called a troll, then don't troll. That's not an insult. If you are intentionally finding stuff to oppose with absolutely no intent to actually agree on anything, then you are troll.

3. The lazy reference you made was actually me calling myself lazy, WHY, because I was. Just like #2, your only argument for not doing something can't be "I don't feel like doing it" and then get offended when someone labels you lazy. If you are actually being lazy, then it is not an insult. If you're just calling someone lazy just because, then you would have a point.

4. As for ignorant, it's all about the context. I didn't say "You are just ignorant". I stated something along the lines that x,y, and z explains your ignorance on the situation. There's a big difference. You are taking stuff out of context.



Edited, Sep 4th 2011 11:34am by Almalieque
____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
#106 Sep 04 2011 at 3:31 AM Rating: Decent
**
824 posts
Quote:
If you are intentionally finding stuff to oppose with absolutely no intent to actually agree on anything, then you are troll.


From the horse's mouth, folks.
____________________________
rdmcandie wrote:
RDM can attain an almost static 50% reduction to recast time, SCH can over shoot this for a total of 60% reduction under Alacrity (provided you are wearing loafers and keeping dark weather on yourself)

rdmcandie wrote:
MACC is a joke, any job with access to mage gear can hit close the MACC cap on legion mobs, which is why my BRD/RDM can land slow/para/blind despite having only 150 skill (from /RDM.)
#107 Sep 04 2011 at 3:32 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
8,912 posts
Vlorsutes wrote:
Alma, there were actually a few reasons as to why I opted to "single" you out, and none of them were meant to entail any malice or ill-will towards you. Primarily though, the reason I did so was because when I receive reports on post content, I will often make specific reference to the person whose post has been reported, so there's no question as to who I am addressing. Some may find it embarrassing, but many times have I ran into people that would continue to behave inappropriately because they "didn't know I was meaning them" when I'd make a comment in a topic.


As I said, either be a professional admin and address everyone at once or leave me out of it. You can choose to do neither as I have no control over you, but it makes you appear unprofessional. If your true intent was to "warn me", you could have sent me a pm. When you single me out from a slew of much much worse "insults", you appear no different than the people that you are claiming to warn. Which makes you a hypocrite.

I mean seriously, read my comments vs the comments made towards me. Can you honestly say that I was even close to the same level of rudeness as the rest of these people?

Vlorsutes wrote:
As for you feeling that the comments you made weren't insulting, just because you don't find them insulting or offensive doesn't mean that the person you're directing them to feels the same way. Though some people might just take it in stride or openly accept that they're trolling, there are others that genuinely dislike it. I mean, if memory serves, you took some offense to being called a troll in the past, so you can understand how others might as well.


You just said above that you had no malice or ill-will towards me. The same concept apply here. Just because someone took offense to something, doesn't make it insulting.

Vlorsutes wrote:
My warning stands though towards everyone in here involved; though you may not like the other person, at least try to show some respect towards them and cut out the name calling or rude remarks. Not only is it hurting your case on the matter by being rude in your posts, you also run the risk of getting in trouble. Like I said before, I don't expect you guys to become friends, I just want you all to lay off the negative, condescending comments and at least be a bit more respectful.


Given the environment, I was one of the most, if not most, respectful person in this debate. I don't deny insulting people, it has always been part of the game here. I honestly don't know what you expect out of an online gaming debate forum. There's been so much worse on this forum, that this is quite laughable. I don't even think anyone broke any filters for Pete's sake.

____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
#108 Sep 04 2011 at 3:33 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
8,912 posts
LyltiaofLakshmi wrote:
Quote:
If you are intentionally finding stuff to oppose with absolutely no intent to actually agree on anything, then you are troll.


From the horse's mouth, folks.


And I've admitted at least twice that I'm not swapping as much as I should, but I do. I'm not creating various scenarios just for opposition.
____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
#109 Sep 04 2011 at 3:38 AM Rating: Decent
**
824 posts
Quote:
And I've admitted at least twice that I'm not swapping as much as I should, but I do. I'm not creating various scenarios just for opposition.


Well then, perhaps you should spend less time arguing here and more time working on your macros, so you can see firsthand how much of a difference it makes? Maybe then you'll have an idea why your arguments seem so flimsy to us.
____________________________
rdmcandie wrote:
RDM can attain an almost static 50% reduction to recast time, SCH can over shoot this for a total of 60% reduction under Alacrity (provided you are wearing loafers and keeping dark weather on yourself)

rdmcandie wrote:
MACC is a joke, any job with access to mage gear can hit close the MACC cap on legion mobs, which is why my BRD/RDM can land slow/para/blind despite having only 150 skill (from /RDM.)
#110 Sep 04 2011 at 6:32 AM Rating: Excellent
Alma, I meant no ill-will, and I apologize to you and everyone else I've openly called out to in the past like that. All the same though, regardless of who started it or whether someone feels that someone else deserves more severe punishment or anything else, you all need to settle down and be more respectful towards one another. Not just issues of going off topic, but the general condescending attitude that a lot of you have towards one another was the reason that I had to lock the job adjustments topic and why I've had to clean up a good deal of this one. It wasn't a matter of breaking any of the word filters, but just the overall negativity and hostility going on. I don't consider what I'm asking unreasonable by any means. Just be more respectful, drop the condescending comments, and things will work out better.

Edited, Sep 4th 2011 10:16am by Vlorsutes
____________________________
Lady Jinte wrote:

Vlorsutes' Negotiation Skill rises 0.2 points
Vlorsutes' Observant Parent Skill rises 0.3 points
Vlorsutes' Argument Diffusing Skill rises 0.1 points


My thoughts and reviews on all sorts of sci-fi stuff...and things.
#111 Sep 04 2011 at 7:08 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
7,460 posts
Almalieque wrote:
IcookPizza wrote:
Are there situations when RDM could viably swap staves?
Yes.
Are there situations when RDM could viably use sword?
Yes.
Are there situations when DD armor is viable idle gear?
Yes.

WOO-HOO I've correctly answered three trivia questions!

Almalieque's turn! First question...
...Are there situations when DD armor is intelligent to cast spells in?
*tick tock tick tock*

Edited, Sep 4th 2011 1:59am by IcookPizza

Yes.. When I cast 3 merited Slow II on a mob with Sabo+ esto +1 hands with a bard's elegy (gain mnd if I wanted), I see absolutely no benefit in carrying extra mnd/ m.acc gear to further enhance slow while meleeing.

ICP's turn... If every little bit counts, then why not go 5/5 slow II? If every lit bit doesn't count, then what's the big deal? Is that combo above not good enough to get the job done?

GO!


yes but swaping to fast cast gear > casting in melee gear. Always. You can't swing a weapon while casting so the gear you wear that enhances that is useless. Fast Cast gear mean less time in cast lock and more time swinging. This applies equally to backline casting, as spells like slow do not benefit from -pdt, or -mdt gear, and should be used with fast cast gear still to maximize the uptime of refresh gear and/or nuke damage output.

There is never any situation where wearing melee gear to cast spells in is better then swapping to fast cast set (or other such as nuking gear on an MB or Cure potency for heals).


Quote:

LyltiaofLakshmi wrote:
Believe it or not Alma, some people get insulted when someone calls them ignorant, lazy, or a troll. What you said and whatever intent you had are only half of the equation.

I suppose you're too self-absorbed in your own little world to realize that.


1. A self proclaimed troll can't be offended by being called a troll.

2. If you are trolling, then you shouldn't be offended by being called a troll. If you don't want to be called a troll, then don't troll. That's not an insult. If you are intentionally finding stuff to oppose with absolutely no intent to actually agree on anything, then you are troll.


Edited, Sep 4th 2011 11:34am by Almalieque


Since these 2 are directed at me ill bite.

1. I am not offended

2. Again not offended. However just because someone disagrees with you, they are not trolling. Infact if that is your logic then you are the only troll here, since just about everyone but yourself agrees with what I (the troll) have been saying. Your merits are crap, your illogical arguments in response to proven things is wrong, and considering this is a thread where someone came for advice (admittedly some time ago) you filling it up with incorrect information, and personal beliefs that numbers and logic don't support, is going to get slammed. Welcome to =2 and the FFXI Zam boards in general.

Don't like it....don't post false information, and use personal opinion as fact when everything in the game does not support your position.

____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. @#%^ OFF YOU. @#%^ YOUR BULLsh*t SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS @#%^ING sh*tTY BINARY ASS. ALL DAY LONG.

#112 Sep 04 2011 at 7:48 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,286 posts
Almalieque wrote:
IcookPizza wrote:
Are there situations when RDM could viably swap staves?
Yes.
Are there situations when RDM could viably use sword?
Yes.
Are there situations when DD armor is viable idle gear?
Yes.

WOO-HOO I've correctly answered three trivia questions!

Almalieque's turn! First question...
...Are there situations when DD armor is intelligent to cast spells in?
*tick tock tick tock*

Edited, Sep 4th 2011 1:59am by IcookPizza

Yes.. When I cast 3 merited Slow II on a mob with Sabo+ esto +1 hands with a bard's elegy (gain mnd if I wanted), I see absolutely no benefit in carrying extra mnd/ m.acc gear to further enhance slow while meleeing.

You really don't see the point in capping dMND?
____________________________
Server: Midgardsormr
Occupation: Reckless Red Mage

IcookPizza wrote:

I think RDM's neurotic omniscience is sooooooo worth including in any alliance.
#113 Sep 04 2011 at 7:55 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
7,460 posts
For slow? I wouldn't waste my time making a macro or my inv. Same with Para. The % change is very small.
____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. @#%^ OFF YOU. @#%^ YOUR BULLsh*t SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS @#%^ING sh*tTY BINARY ASS. ALL DAY LONG.

#114 Sep 04 2011 at 8:22 AM Rating: Excellent
Jack of All Trades
******
29,118 posts
Quote:
The bottom line was that Fylnar painted this scenario when in reality it was multiple scenarios. Just like when he said was duo-box, but then said he would check to see what the other people were subbing and tried to use that horrible save of "well technically 2 people is a group". That would have saved him if he didn't already state that the other character was a monk. So, instead of just admitting to being wrong, he kept making stuff up until he finally gave up.


When I'm dealing with someone who can't understand/accept how [spell] is easier, faster, and safer to perform than [JA -> JA -> spell] and only seems to be interested in arguing semantics all the time, my interest in keeping with the "conversation" fades rather quickly.

Quote:
Enough of this. Can't a single topic in the Rdm forums or even somewhat pertaining to Rdm not degrade into this tirade of flaming and trolling?


Welp, this is the kind of thing that inevitably happens when forum mods aren't able to simply ban stupid.

Most forums are like this (regarding their lenience, I mean) so I can somewhat understand the mod frustration here, but at the same time, I don't really see how you can be surprised when someone's being blatantly obtuse in order to piss people off and it somehow actually ends up (gasp!) pissing people off.

Edited, Sep 4th 2011 10:28am by Fynlar
#115 Sep 04 2011 at 9:31 AM Rating: Decent
**
785 posts
I'm not gonna lie if I'm pressed for inventory Mnd Gear is the first thing I drop, even then 4 pieces of Emp+2 have a fairly good amount of MND/Macc/Enfeebling Skill on them anyway, and the Emp Neck/Back have 14 MND between them as well. I have a cascade belt which is another +7 MND with enhancing skill, and use Sagacity Lappas/Mahatma Slops for legs for Mnd/macc skill mix (Don't have Augur's Brais; Morrigan's is still the most Mnd iirc). Ammo is still only +2 MND. That just leaves Rings since Earrings aren't worth the -inventory imo (more so at 90 cap in terms of stat increase though but the newest ones are never on AH).





Edited, Sep 4th 2011 12:35pm by Neisan
#116 Sep 04 2011 at 9:41 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,286 posts
Yeah, but you're not casting it in TP gear either.
____________________________
Server: Midgardsormr
Occupation: Reckless Red Mage

IcookPizza wrote:

I think RDM's neurotic omniscience is sooooooo worth including in any alliance.
#117 Sep 04 2011 at 11:30 AM Rating: Good
***
1,018 posts
Quote:
ICP's turn... If every little bit counts, then why not go 5/5 slow II?
There are only 10 merits for Group2.
To one person, "every little bit" can mean maxing 2 spells.
To another person, "every little bit" can mean unlocking 3, 4, maybe even 5 of those Group2 spells.

In other words... your analogy (to casting spells while wearing DD armor) doesn't work.

If your argument for wearing DD gear while casting Slow II is "it isn't a big deal", fine.

Just know that my Slow II will always be better than your Slow II. *wink wink*

:)
____________________________
--------- Xenith ---------
----------------------------
RDM /
*videos*
#118 Sep 04 2011 at 12:26 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
8,912 posts
LyltiaofLakshmi wrote:
Quote:
And I've admitted at least twice that I'm not swapping as much as I should, but I do. I'm not creating various scenarios just for opposition.


Well then, perhaps you should spend less time arguing here and more time working on your macros, so you can see firsthand how much of a difference it makes? Maybe then you'll have an idea why your arguments seem so flimsy to us.


Uh, I don't have to equip mnd rings to know it wont make a difference to a mob with elegy, sabo+esto +1 3 merited slow II. Are you telling me that it might or will make a difference? If so, that's implying that every bit counts, which means you should favor 5/5 slow II.

Vlorsutes, Lord of Stuff wrote:
Alma, I meant no ill-will, and I apologize to you and everyone else I've openly called out to in the past like that. All the same though, regardless of who started it or whether someone feels that someone else deserves more severe punishment or anything else, you all need to settle down and be more respectful towards one another. Not just issues of going off topic, but the general condescending attitude that a lot of you have towards one another was the reason that I had to lock the job adjustments topic and why I've had to clean up a good deal of this one. It wasn't a matter of breaking any of the word filters, but just the overall negativity and hostility going on. I don't consider what I'm asking unreasonable by any means. Just be more respectful, drop the condescending comments, and things will work out better.

Edited, Sep 4th 2011 10:16am by Vlorsutes


Even though your apology was not necessary, I respectfully accept it. As I said, I do my fair share of insulting people and you calling me out did not offend me. I was merely letting you know how that made you look to me by doing so. I will probably slip up in the future and I would have no problem with any "calling out" at that point, since you had given a warning.

My "concern" is that this is the environment of the forum. This is what we do and the level of this and the job adjustments thread are child's play to what is typically said in the OoT and Asylum. I understand that those are different forums, but the rules of respect should be the same. My personal opinion is that if you're weak hearted, then don't say anything. I believe that there should be a limit, I just don't think it got there.

RDD wrote:
yes but swaping to fast cast gear > casting in melee gear. Always. You can't swing a weapon while casting so the gear you wear that enhances that is useless. Fast Cast gear mean less time in cast lock and more time swinging. This applies equally to backline casting, as spells like slow do not benefit from -pdt, or -mdt gear, and should be used with fast cast gear still to maximize the uptime of refresh gear and/or nuke damage output.

There is never any situation where wearing melee gear to cast spells in is better then swapping to fast cast set (or other such as nuking gear on an MB or Cure potency for heals).


Yes, because mobs stop hitting you when you cast spells. Why in the world would you swap in fast cast gear for a 3 second spell that's practically impossible to interrupt for a fraction of a fraction of a second difference as opposed to maintaining your gear?

I swap in fast cast for spells such as stone skin, not for slow II. You're grasping at straws now.

RDD wrote:
1. I am not offended

2. Again not offended. However just because someone disagrees with you, they are not trolling. Infact if that is your logic then you are the only troll here, since just about everyone but yourself agrees with what I (the troll) have been saying. Your merits are crap, your illogical arguments in response to proven things is wrong, and considering this is a thread where someone came for advice (admittedly some time ago) you filling it up with incorrect information, and personal beliefs that numbers and logic don't support, is going to get slammed. Welcome to =2 and the FFXI Zam boards in general.

Don't like it....don't post false information, and use personal opinion as fact when everything in the game does not support your position.


1. Didn't say that you were, but that was the argument made that I was offending people by calling them a troll.

2. No, I'm not the only one. Go back and reread. THe simple fact that everyone harped on me and don't even recall anyone else in agreement is evident of your tr*ll*ng. Also, the belief in numbers of people must equal correct is laughable, especially given RDM melee history.

3. Once again, we started off in agreement, you just kept arguing with me in order to find something to argue about. This has nothing to do with advice or wrong information. You agree with me, but you don't want to admit it.

____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
#119 Sep 04 2011 at 12:38 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
8,912 posts
Cid wrote:
You really don't see the point in capping dMND?


Uh, no.. What I don't see the point in is carrying unnecessary mnd gear to cast slow when I have elegy, 3 merited slow II with sabo and esto hands. If I were a GMG/TMG (Green Mage/Time Mage) then you would have more of a point, but I'm not, I'm a RDM. You still would be wrong, but you be less wrong.

Cid wrote:
Yeah, but you're not casting it in TP gear either.


??? That doesn't even make any sense. If you're not casting in MND/M.Acc gear, you might as well be naked because the benefit towards the spell is the same. This is what I meant by purposely finding stuff just to disagree on. The gear I have on would vary on the mob that I'm fighting. Rather I have on defense gear, TP or attack gear doesn't matter to me casting slow II. So to say "but you're not casting it in TP gear" as if it makes a difference is just s*lly.

ICP wrote:
There are only 10 merits for Group2.
To one person, "every little bit" can mean maxing 2 spells.
To another person, "every little bit" can mean unlocking 3, 4, maybe even 5 of those Group2 spells.

In other words... your analogy (to casting spells while wearing DD armor) doesn't work.

If your argument for wearing DD gear while casting Slow II is "it isn't a big deal", fine.

Just know that my Slow II will always be better than your Slow II. *wink wink*


Sooooo Are you going to answer the questions? I was specifically referring to slow II.

____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
#120 Sep 04 2011 at 1:01 PM Rating: Decent
**
824 posts
Quote:
Uh, I don't have to equip mnd rings to know it wont make a difference to a mob with elegy, sabo+esto +1 3 merited slow II. Are you telling me that it might or will make a difference? If so, that's implying that every bit counts, which means you should favor 5/5 slow II.


It implies no such thing; simply that if you can have a more effective spell for the low, low cost of writing more effective macros, why wouldn't you? As for the opportunity costs of carrying different gear, Rings are a pretty poor choice as an example; +7 in each slot is not something you should be passing up. Earrings, sure, those can go if you're pressed for space.

Honestly though the inventory issue is a bit of a diversion.. I can carry melee, WS, PDT, MDT, MND, and idle gear on my person with zero problems, and I have most of the very best there is to have.

And finally, basing your argument around Saboteur being available for every cast (and I've found it to be much better paired with Paralyze II when the NM nears low HP, especially if it's dangerous, even moreso if it's a caster, and furthermore if its spells get stronger at critical HP), as well as a BRD with Elegy always being present, is a little too situational for me to swallow; and this is coming from someone who has BRD on a second character.
____________________________
rdmcandie wrote:
RDM can attain an almost static 50% reduction to recast time, SCH can over shoot this for a total of 60% reduction under Alacrity (provided you are wearing loafers and keeping dark weather on yourself)

rdmcandie wrote:
MACC is a joke, any job with access to mage gear can hit close the MACC cap on legion mobs, which is why my BRD/RDM can land slow/para/blind despite having only 150 skill (from /RDM.)
#121 Sep 04 2011 at 1:20 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
8,912 posts
Fynlar wrote:
When I'm dealing with someone who can't understand/accept how [spell] is easier, faster, and safer to perform than [JA -> JA -> spell] and only seems to be interested in arguing semantics all the time, my interest in keeping with the "conversation" fades rather quickly.


Again, if you actually used those spells more than on "occasion", then you would have a point. You said yourself that you pull any worthwhile mobs away from any aggro/link, so why do you need sleep so readily available?

Fynlar wrote:
Welp, this is the kind of thing that inevitably happens when forum mods aren't able to simply ban stupid.

Most forums are like this (regarding their lenience, I mean) so I can somewhat understand the mod frustration here, but at the same time, I don't really see how you can be surprised when someone's being blatantly obtuse in order to piss people off and it somehow actually ends up (gasp!) pissing people off.


Says the guy who went from duo with a partner, duobox to a group of people just to prove a point. I've been consistent this entire time. You, along with some others, have jumped all over the place just to debate me and somehow I'm the troll....HA!

Lyltia wrote:
It implies no such thing; simply that if you can have a more effective spell for the low, low cost of writing more effective macros, why wouldn't you? As for the opportunity costs of carrying different gear, Rings are a pretty poor choice as an example; +7 in each slot is not something you should be passing up. Earrings, sure, those can go if you're pressed for space.


This isn't about writing more effective macros. I've already admitted in a thread a long time ago that it didn't make sense not to macro equipment that I"m already carrying. That's what I meant about the lack on my part. I've made changes, but I'm sure that there is still some lacking.

I have/had a complete macro for slow II/Para II, but that doesn't necessarily mean I have the gear for them. Those macros were meant for mage mode, when I carry more mage gear than melee gear. What I don't understand is how Fynlar get's away with "I don't want to set a macro for JA" to cast a spell that he admits on never using on anything worth while, yet I'm somehow wrong for deciding not to carry and macro in certain gear for enhancements for slow that I can get else where.

What you keep overlooking is that I AM GEAR Swapping, I'm just not going to equip every piece of mnd gear to cast slow II. That's the entire reason why I chose to merit it beyond 1.

Lyltia wrote:
Honestly though the inventory issue is a bit of a diversion.. I can carry melee, WS, PDT, MDT, MND, and idle gear on my person with zero problems, and I have most of the very best there is to have.


It's the same concept for not casting refresh yet still converting every 10 minutes.

Lyltia wrote:
And finally, basing your argument around Saboteur being available for every cast (and I've found it to be much better paired with Paralyze II when the NM nears low HP, especially if it's dangerous, even moreso if it's a caster, and furthermore if its spells get stronger at critical HP), as well as a BRD with Elegy always being present, is a little too situational for me to swallow; and this is coming from someone who has BRD on a second character.


If I'm not mistaken, Sabo is up every other slow II. Brd is duo partner. I melee so I use ice spikes, not para II.

____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
#122 Sep 04 2011 at 1:35 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
7,460 posts
deleted because it is to advanced for Alma as it required and understanding of basic math.



Edited, Sep 4th 2011 6:52pm by rdmcandie
____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. @#%^ OFF YOU. @#%^ YOUR BULLsh*t SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS @#%^ING sh*tTY BINARY ASS. ALL DAY LONG.

#123 Sep 04 2011 at 2:15 PM Rating: Decent
**
824 posts
Quote:
What I don't understand is how Fynlar get's away with "I don't want to set a macro for JA" to cast a spell that he admits on never using on anything worth while, yet I'm somehow wrong for deciding not to carry and macro in certain gear for enhancements for slow that I can get else where.


Not comparable. You are not capping Slow II potency will full merits and Hands+1; adding gear will make it stronger.

You also keep quoting him on never needing Sleep for anything worthwhile, but I assure you there are many instances where it makes or breaks your effort. You try duoing upper tier Temenos without them, let me know how it goes. Or virtually anywhere in Dynamis. 3-man Einherjar. I could go on.

Quote:
It's the same concept for not casting refresh yet still converting every 10 minutes.


I cannot, for the life of me, see how.

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, Sabo is up every other slow II. Brd is duo partner. I melee so I use ice spikes, not para II.


So your build requires that you waste a potent JA every time it's up to make up for your gear/macro shortcomings; I wish my duo partner was online every single minute I was; 5/5 Paralyze II with Body+2 and a respectable MND set sh*ts all over Ice Spikes, use Shock or Blaze.
____________________________
rdmcandie wrote:
RDM can attain an almost static 50% reduction to recast time, SCH can over shoot this for a total of 60% reduction under Alacrity (provided you are wearing loafers and keeping dark weather on yourself)

rdmcandie wrote:
MACC is a joke, any job with access to mage gear can hit close the MACC cap on legion mobs, which is why my BRD/RDM can land slow/para/blind despite having only 150 skill (from /RDM.)
#124 Sep 04 2011 at 5:17 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,018 posts
Quote:
Sooooo Are you going to answer the questions? I was specifically referring to slow II.
I answered your question in the first sentence... let's read it again; slower this time.

Quote:
Quote:
If every little bit counts, then why not go 5/5 slow II?
There are only 10 merits for Group2.
To simplify it for ya:
I have good reasons for 5/5 Slow2.
NatePrawdzik has good reasons for 1/5 Slow2, Paralyze2, and Blind2.

Why is OK for me to max dMND, but not NatePrawdzik?
____________________________
--------- Xenith ---------
----------------------------
RDM /
*videos*
#125 Sep 04 2011 at 6:24 PM Rating: Good
Jack of All Trades
******
29,118 posts
Quote:
I answered your question in the first sentence... let's read it again; slower this time.


Don't bother; it won't work.
#126 Sep 04 2011 at 9:17 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
8,912 posts
RDD wrote:
deleted because it is to advanced for Alma as it required and understanding of basic math.


I seriously doubt that you've exceeded me in the Math realm.

Lyltia wrote:
Not comparable. You are not capping Slow II potency will full merits and Hands+1; adding gear will make it stronger.

You also keep quoting him on never needing Sleep for anything worthwhile, but I assure you there are many instances where it makes or breaks your effort. You try duoing upper tier Temenos without them, let me know how it goes. Or virtually anywhere in Dynamis. 3-man Einherjar. I could go on.


It is comparable, because that's the point. If you are *needing* convert, then you haven't "capped" MP either, yet you decide not to cast a spell that enhances your MP. You can't have this "everything helps" mentality when it refers to something you like (slow II), then turn around and say that +3 MP/tick isn't worth the effort to cast while using convert.

If you believe that "every little bit counts", then you should support 5/5/ slow II. If you don't believe that "every little bit counts", then I ask again, what's the problem?

Worthwhile mobs is the argument because he claimed that casting refresh could make the difference between life or death. That scenario is highly unlikely for anything NOT "worthwhile". So, we're either talking about a mob that isn't "worthwhile", where doing J/A + sleep, refresh, etc. is no big deal OR we're talking about a worthwhile mob where those things do matter, but not required. You choose.

I'm very easy to work with. I do not deny the existence of a scenario where you are correct. The problem is that the scenario in question continuously changes to support an argument. Every time I point out a scenario where I'm correct, instead of saying "Yea, you're right for this particular scenario", it's "No, because what about x,y and z (a totally different scenario).

Lyltia wrote:
I cannot, for the life of me, see how.


I'll just quote myself. If you are *needing* convert, then you haven't "capped" MP either, yet you decide not to cast a spell that enhances your MP, because you decided that the cost wasn't worth the benefit.

I guarantee you, that you do not attempt to max out every aspect of your character. It is simply impossible to do. You wont have the inventory and you actually would end up hurting every other aspect of the character. This goes back into casting in a sword as opposed to a staff or a club. No one switches out a sword to cast cure because the benefit of the cure enhancement doesn't outweigh the TP loss.

It's the same concept.

Lyltia wrote:
So your build requires that you waste a potent JA every time it's up to make up for your gear/macro shortcomings; I wish my duo partner was online every single minute I was; 5/5 Paralyze II with Body+2 and a respectable MND set sh*ts all over Ice Spikes, use Shock or Blaze.


How is that wasting a JA? Now you're going into opinions. Our playing style is different. I hardly play now that I'm in Iraq. I'm working on my wireless and a decent working schedule where I"m not at work for 14+ hours.

My duo partner is my brother who was on summer vacation from college, so he was on more than I was.

Honest questions here. Blaze spikes? Is there some hidden effect to it besides fire damage? Can an enemy get stunned 2 or more times in a row from only hitting you once? IF so, then what's the difference?

If I have to go 5/5 para II to make it worth while, then I wont have it. Given my play style, ice spikes is WAAAAAAAAY more efficient than para II. I would rather gear set up and cast para I than 5/5 para II. That was what I learned from the other thread I referred to a while back. Of course now that I agree with it, you all will disagree with it. go figure.


____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
#127 Sep 04 2011 at 9:33 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
8,912 posts
IcookPizza wrote:
Quote:
Sooooo Are you going to answer the questions? I was specifically referring to slow II.
I answered your question in the first sentence... let's read it again; slower this time.

ICP wrote:
Quote:
If every little bit counts, then why not go 5/5 slow II?
There are only 10 merits for Group2.
To simplify it for ya:
I have good reasons for 5/5 Slow2.
NatePrawdzik has good reasons for 1/5 Slow2, Paralyze2, and Blind2.

Why is OK for me to max dMND, but not NatePrawdzik?


Except that's not what's being argued. People aren't saying that they aren't meriting slow II because they have other preferences, but because it's "stupid" since the difference is "negligible" and can be made up by a "decent mnd gear set up".

So, if your argument is that there is absolutely nothing wrong with meriting slow II to 5/5 other than other merits you might be interested in, then WE AGREE.

____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
#128 Sep 04 2011 at 10:08 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
7,460 posts
Quote:
I seriously doubt that you've exceeded me in the Math realm.


Yet using fast cast gear to cast in is stupid... I guess thats why you have your BRD play madrigal/minuet instead of double haste too.
____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. @#%^ OFF YOU. @#%^ YOUR BULLsh*t SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS @#%^ING sh*tTY BINARY ASS. ALL DAY LONG.

#129 Sep 04 2011 at 10:48 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
8,912 posts
rdmcandie wrote:
Quote:
I seriously doubt that you've exceeded me in the Math realm.


Yet using fast cast gear to cast in is stupid... I guess thats why you have your BRD play madrigal/minuet instead of double haste too.



1. using fast cast on a spell that takes 3 seconds to cast and that isn't ever interrupted as opposed to the current gear you have on is s*lly.

2. I don't tell the brd what to do. I misspoke (was wrong) on what he casts. He understands this game way more than I do (surprised?) and pretty much corrects any stupid gear choice/move/combo that he recognizes. He isn't a mage by trade and only inherited the brd from my other brother, so there is still room for errors.

Those errors don't matter to me unless it makes the difference of easy to difficult.

Edited, Sep 5th 2011 6:52am by Almalieque
____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
#130 Sep 04 2011 at 11:19 PM Rating: Default
**
824 posts
Fine, hand-wave it with playstyle choice, np. If you choose to melee nothing but trash mobs and lowest-tier NMs and nothing else (evident by Hands+1.. c'mon, RDM can solo the +2), then I'm sure your subpar choices work out just fine.

Quote:
Honest questions here. Blaze spikes? Is there some hidden effect to it besides fire damage? Can an enemy get stunned 2 or more times in a row from only hitting you once? IF so, then what's the difference?


Blaze Spikes deals more damage per proc, and that is some weird logic regarding Shock Spikes, as Ice Spikes can only proc once until the effect wears off; the optimal strategy there would be to cast Ice Spikes until Paralyze lands, then cast Shock for the Stun or Blaze for the damage... which is kinda retarded.

This is why Ice Spikes is really the worst of the spells for the serious RDM; you can produce a better Paralyze effect at any time by casting it directly and opt for the extra damage of Blaze if you're focusing on offense, or the added Stuns of Shock if you're focusing on defense.

Edited, Sep 5th 2011 1:51am by LyltiaofLakshmi
____________________________
rdmcandie wrote:
RDM can attain an almost static 50% reduction to recast time, SCH can over shoot this for a total of 60% reduction under Alacrity (provided you are wearing loafers and keeping dark weather on yourself)

rdmcandie wrote:
MACC is a joke, any job with access to mage gear can hit close the MACC cap on legion mobs, which is why my BRD/RDM can land slow/para/blind despite having only 150 skill (from /RDM.)
#131 Sep 04 2011 at 11:28 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,265 posts
rdmcandie wrote:
So wait restoring MP through melee (aspir samba) is mage like, how is getting a free cure 4.5 every couple dozen seconds not. Instead of restoring MP, it removes the need to use it entirely. You can't argue one is and not the other.

Then again, you are likely arguing for sake of arguing.

As for "curing" being a perk, no. Curing is the whole reason to use Sanguine Blade, if it wasn't needed, or wanted, to conserve MP or even be used in conjunction for HP spammy moments. Otherwise it is more beneficial to use Evis or CDC, as faster kills are better. The only reason one would opt for Sang over Evis/CDC is for the heal. The fact that it has very favorable mods is the perk.


(and stun isn't a gimmick, it is pretty much the only reason to /BLM over /SCH, and is the only reason /BLM is better sub then /SCH.)

Edited, Sep 3rd 2011 4:13pm by rdmcandie



*chuckle* I really need to clarify when I'm using someone elses logic.

What I was saying is you can't argue 'mage like' for one aspect and then go back on your own logic, and you were for dancer. If you're going to call any kind of MP conservation 'Mage Like' regardless of it's source, and I was calling you out on being obese general with it.


The Cure Portion of Sanguine Blade has nothing to do with magic, at all. It's just an additional effect tacked onto a Magical Damage Weapon Skill, that HAPPENS to make it useful. (Also it's damage + the effect makes it the best Magical based Sword WS available to RDM, though it's EX restricted, which boggles my mind.) It's the modifiers and mechanics behind Sanguine Blade that makes it 'magical', nothing more. And it's about as magical for a Weapon Skill as Physical Magic is physical for Blue Mage, meaning that it blurs the line.


Anyways, being that broad made my eye twitch, nothing more.

We now return to your normal pointless arguing.

Quote:
Fine, hand-wave it with playstyle choice, np. If you choose to melee nothing but trash mobs and lowest-tier NMs and nothing else (evident by Hands+1.. c'mon, RDM can solo the +2), then I'm sure your subpar choices work out just fine.


About that condescending bit. Can we drop that?


Now granted, I swap just about everything but my staves when meleeing regardless of the difficulty of it. It's just good pratice to do it

I akin everything to that sort of swap business. And I view my spells much like Melee's do their weapon skills.

Now... when you're getting into multiple swaps per spells, that is when my efforts start to teeter off. I dont have a swap system that tosses me into Fast Cast gear then into Potency gear. I make a choice there as to what's more important. It's a bit hard for me to put in that much coding just for a few fractions of a second here and there. Now on things with especially long casts and recasts I'll probably reconsiter, but I'm still trying to work AF3 into the mix here, and my severely limited playtime isn't helping my achievements any.

Note, I took all of August off, and that's not uncommon for me. Life gets in the way frequently.

Anyways, I like to lean more in potency than accuracy. If I'm focusing on enfeebles I want them to be powerful, not accurate. Only exceptions are the CC spells and the all or nothing spells like Silence.

I'm not afraid of cutting corners to be more rounded and versatile so something like my nuking game often takes a hit for it. I'll have to tack on Curing to that too because I've not caught up on the Cure Potency gear available to us.

Still. I'm a believer of gearing for what you do. That includes gear swapping even on fodder. Though, I can understand the idea that weaker mobs don't have such a high gear requirement as the super-tier NMs do. But please don't insult that part of the game. Some of us just didn't have the time to have their phone on at 3am for when Faffy spawned, or the availability for a 4 hour dynamis run.

Hell, I have a hard enough problem getting a regular timeframe to be on the game at all, and it reflects in my gear. This content you call crap easy? Sometimes it's all that's available.

Edited, Sep 5th 2011 1:44am by Hyrist
#132 Sep 05 2011 at 12:08 AM Rating: Decent
**
824 posts
Quote:
About that condescending bit. Can we drop that?

But please don't insult that part of the game. Some of us just didn't have the time to have their phone on at 3am for when Faffy spawned, or the availability for a 4 hour dynamis run.

This content you call crap easy? Sometimes it's all that's available.


All I'm doing is presenting the skilled, well-geared RDM's side of the debate, and when everything I say gets handwaved with 'it doesn't matter because my playstyle is different,' when I know for a fact that not utilizing the strategies I espouse will lead to inevitable failure against any target above moderate difficulty, what conclusion do you expect me to reach, exactly?

As for your reference to old endgame, 95% of that gear has been replaced by either Abyssea or the Auction House, so I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.

The content I call crap easy is about 90% of Abyssea, and that 90% includes +2 armor and accessories, with very few exceptions. The content is months and months old at this point, and it's the best time:reward ratio for every job, including RDM. Even if you've had an average of 2 hours of playtime a week since it launched, there isn't much excuse for not having it finished for your main job, at the absolute least.
____________________________
rdmcandie wrote:
RDM can attain an almost static 50% reduction to recast time, SCH can over shoot this for a total of 60% reduction under Alacrity (provided you are wearing loafers and keeping dark weather on yourself)

rdmcandie wrote:
MACC is a joke, any job with access to mage gear can hit close the MACC cap on legion mobs, which is why my BRD/RDM can land slow/para/blind despite having only 150 skill (from /RDM.)
#133 Sep 05 2011 at 12:37 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,286 posts
Hyrist wrote:
But please don't insult that part of the game. Some of us just didn't have the time to have their phone on at 3am for when Faffy spawned, or the availability for a 4 hour dynamis run.

Hell, I have a hard enough problem getting a regular timeframe to be on the game at all, and it reflects in my gear. This content you call crap easy? Sometimes it's all that's available.

Edited, Sep 5th 2011 1:44am by Hyrist

Do you have roughly one hour of time to play on a semi-regular basis? Congratulations, you have run out of excuses for not being in the process of getting +2 hands. Soloing Ironclad Executioner is not hard. There's no reason for you or Alma to have access to +1 hands but not be making quick and steady progress towards +2 hands if for whatever reason you haven't already got them.
____________________________
Server: Midgardsormr
Occupation: Reckless Red Mage

IcookPizza wrote:

I think RDM's neurotic omniscience is sooooooo worth including in any alliance.
#134 Sep 05 2011 at 1:38 AM Rating: Good
***
1,018 posts
Quote:
This is why Ice Spikes is really the worst of the spells for the serious RDM; you can produce a better Paralyze effect at any time by casting it directly and opt for the extra damage of Blaze if you're focusing on offense, or the added Stuns of Shock if you're focusing on defense.
Depends on your definition of "serious", firstly.

Perhaps the simplest, most overlooked, and ...possibly irrelevant advantage "Ice Spikes" has over "Paralyze II" is its ability to act as an AoE spell. So, meh... there's that.

From a 1v1 perspective and otherwise:
Ice Spikes costs 16MP for a 9 minute duration. (and that's without considering the AF3+2 bonuses!)
Paralyze II costs 36MP for a 30-60 second duration.

Over 9 minutes:
-'Slow II' & 'Paralyze(II)' costs 621MP*, and 220,000exp worth of "Group 2" upgrades that could theoretically be spent on another spell
-'Slow II' & 'Paralyze(I)' costs 270MP*, and no merit points
-'Slow II' & 'Ice Spikes' costs 151 MP (again, that's without AF3+2), and no merit points
***with the loose assumption that Paralyze I/II lasts 45 seconds, average***

That's an extra nuke every convert timer!

And for the meleeing RDM, having to repeatedly cast Paralyze could feasibly cost anywhere from 5 to 7 swings worth of damage/TP, every convert timer.

Edited, Sep 5th 2011 3:54am by IcookPizza
____________________________
--------- Xenith ---------
----------------------------
RDM /
*videos*
#135 Sep 05 2011 at 1:51 AM Rating: Decent
Guru
Avatar
*****
10,554 posts
Hyrist wrote:
About that condescending bit. Can we drop that?


Would be nice if there wasn't so much blatant disregard for a less fortunate individual's play habits and the unpredictable nature of their server's environment at any given hour, including things like competition and potential mob theft in kiting situations made all the more likely at the various "easy" and/or integral timed spawns.

But hey, what could I possibly know about the negative aspects of a top-heavy game competing for limited resources in a time sensitive environment...
#136 Sep 05 2011 at 1:53 AM Rating: Good
***
1,018 posts
OK part of my last post was copy>pasted from an older post of mine...
I don't know why I included Slow II in the math, but it doesn't really change anything. It's still about a nuke's worth of saved MP.

Paralyze II still has a huge place in this game, especially in Abyssea where MND is so plentiful.
____________________________
--------- Xenith ---------
----------------------------
RDM /
*videos*
#137 Sep 05 2011 at 1:56 AM Rating: Default
**
824 posts
Quote:
Perhaps the simplest, most overlooked, and ...possibly irrelevant advantage "Ice Spikes" has over "Paralyze II" is its ability to act as an AoE spell. So, meh... there's that.


For sure, if you're getting hit by multiple mobs while pulling, AEdging, what have you, Ice/Shock Spikes are much, much better

As for the rest... If you're using Slow/Paralyze, that leaves you free to use Blaze Spikes, so you have to consider the extra damage those are doing over the duration. You would have to be nuking for well over 1k (without a staff) on that extra nuke to compare to the increased damage from Blaze Spikes over a Convert timer. Figuring in melee swings really just depends on how good your swings are, and if it gives you an extra WS... at most, I'd call it a draw in terms of damage, and you're still getting a better Paralyze out of my deal.

If not, you're using Shock Spikes, which means you're going for all-out defense to survive, so damage is really a secondary concern.

Edit: Upon further reflection, i failed to take into account the effects of Slow/Paralyze on reducing Spike damage, so the extra nuke of your scenario (barring a resist) would produce more damage, making it a tradeoff between a better Paralyze or better damage (how much depends on your gear, the better it is, the wider the difference). If anything, you can consider either option if you want to tweak your offense or defense a notch in either direction.. but my way requires 5/5 ParalyzeII, and i wouldn't merit it solely for this option. YMMV! I still stand by the above statement for total defense, though.

Edited, Sep 5th 2011 4:08am by LyltiaofLakshmi
____________________________
rdmcandie wrote:
RDM can attain an almost static 50% reduction to recast time, SCH can over shoot this for a total of 60% reduction under Alacrity (provided you are wearing loafers and keeping dark weather on yourself)

rdmcandie wrote:
MACC is a joke, any job with access to mage gear can hit close the MACC cap on legion mobs, which is why my BRD/RDM can land slow/para/blind despite having only 150 skill (from /RDM.)
#138 Sep 05 2011 at 2:29 AM Rating: Good
***
1,018 posts
5/5 Paralyze II, 1/5 Slow II, 4/5 Bio III looks like the optimal Shock Spikes merit setup.

I'm feelin curious...
____________________________
--------- Xenith ---------
----------------------------
RDM /
*videos*
#139 Sep 05 2011 at 8:34 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
7,460 posts
Quote:
1. using fast cast on a spell that takes 3 seconds to cast and that isn't ever interrupted as opposed to the current gear you have on is s*lly.


Its not about being interrupted. If you are worried about interruption then you use a -spell interrupt set to ensure your spell goes off 100% of the time. It is about increasing your uptime in your particular area of choice. Since we are talking melee lets keep it there for a minute.

for arguments sake lets say slow last lets say a minute (sometimes its more, most of the time its less). In your buff cycle (9 minutes) you cast 10 slows, by not going with fast cast gear on the cast you lose slightly over 6 seconds of melee, which if you have a good build is 3 attack rounds.

You are arguing against providing more time for your melee gear to be used and that is just one spell. Every spell you cast chews up time, by using 2 simple easy to get (mot would likely have) pieces of gear you can increase your melee uptime by about 30% on each spell you cast. Fractions of a second, that add up to show just how much time you lose.

Not using fast cast gear in the minimum (2 items to macro in) is stupid and lazy. Cast lock slows down a melee soloists kill speed, and now thanks to Sanguine Blade, its survivability.

Quote:


2. I don't tell the brd what to do. I misspoke (was wrong) on what he casts. He understands this game way more than I do (surprised?) and pretty much corrects any stupid gear choice/move/combo that he recognizes. He isn't a mage by trade and only inherited the brd from my other brother, so there is still room for errors.


Must not be much more because Madtigal and Minuet are both terribly inferior to double march.
____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. @#%^ OFF YOU. @#%^ YOUR BULLsh*t SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS @#%^ING sh*tTY BINARY ASS. ALL DAY LONG.

#140 Sep 05 2011 at 11:42 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
8,912 posts
Lyltia wrote:
Blaze Spikes deals more damage per proc, and that is some weird logic regarding Shock Spikes, as Ice Spikes can only proc once until the effect wears off; the optimal strategy there would be to cast Ice Spikes until Paralyze lands, then cast Shock for the Stun or Blaze for the damage... which is kinda retarded.

This is why Ice Spikes is really the worst of the spells for the serious RDM; you can produce a better Paralyze effect at any time by casting it directly and opt for the extra damage of Blaze if you're focusing on offense, or the added Stuns of Shock if you're focusing on defense.


Well my ice spikes must be broken, because I get several procs in between a mob being "paralyzed". When the mob is no longer "paralyzed", he becomes "paralyzed" after a few more hits and then the procs roll in.


Cid wrote:
Do you have roughly one hour of time to play on a semi-regular basis? Congratulations, you have run out of excuses for not being in the process of getting +2 hands. Soloing Ironclad Executioner is not hard. There's no reason for you or Alma to have access to +1 hands but not be making quick and steady progress towards +2 hands if for whatever reason you haven't already got them.


Well, according to your own skewed logic, I have a reason not to have +2 as I currently DO NOT have roughly an hour of time to play on a semi regular basis. As I said, I"m currently in Iraq, working 14+ hour days. 90% of my responses to this game have been during my breaks. The other 10% have been while checking my email before I go to sleep and when I wake up. Majority of the rest of the time I spend contacting my friends and family back in the U.S. So no, I don't have the time. Hopefully this will all change soon, but as of now, no.

And before you say "What about before you left?". As I said, I'm more of a solo person. Just because new stuff came out, doesn't mean I magically received the older content. I was doing the LS thing for a minute, just to get atmas and wins. I later went back to solo because I wouldn't ever get anything worthwhile because of my schedule.

So, stop pretending to know people's schedules. Yes, I could sacrifice some sleep to play ffxi, but I'm not.

RDD wrote:
Its not about being interrupted.


It's about not wasting gear, time, etc. to shave off a fraction of a second vs maintaining your current gear. Stoneskin is worth it, slow II is not. Plain and simple.

RDD wrote:


Must not be much more because Madtigal and Minuet are both terribly inferior to double march.


/smh

ALmalieque wrote:
I don't tell the brd what to do. I misspoke (was wrong) on what he casts.


How you focus on the wrong part speaks for you lol.
____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
#141 Sep 05 2011 at 11:56 AM Rating: Decent
**
785 posts
... You're not even talking about the same thing anymore. You can't paralyze a paralyzed mob (with an effect of the same tier, and Ice spikes is still considered tier 1). If the added effect of ice spikes procs on a mob, it can't proc again until the status wears off.

Edited, Sep 5th 2011 2:58pm by Neisan
#142 Sep 05 2011 at 12:43 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
7,460 posts
Quote:
It's about not wasting gear, time, etc. to shave off a fraction of a second vs maintaining your current gear. Stoneskin is worth it, slow II is not. Plain and simple.


Because 28% more melee uptime per spell is a waste of time... 28.6% actually, and that is from casting in just a Wchap/Dtabby, and that is per spell. Every spell you cast, you gain nearly 30% melee uptime.

This doesn't even factor in using AF+2 gear to get the enhancement to duration when buffing yourself. That is an additional 20%+ of melee uptime per spell cast.

By not swapping to this type of gear you are taking 50% more time from melee to cast, per spell. You are giving up on about 3~5% damage over the course of a cycle because you deem it useless to swap from melee gear.

learn2math.

Edited, Sep 5th 2011 2:44pm by rdmcandie
____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. @#%^ OFF YOU. @#%^ YOUR BULLsh*t SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS @#%^ING sh*tTY BINARY ASS. ALL DAY LONG.

#143 Sep 05 2011 at 12:51 PM Rating: Decent
**
824 posts
Quote:
Well my ice spikes must be broken, because I get several procs in between a mob being "paralyzed". When the mob is no longer "paralyzed", he becomes "paralyzed" after a few more hits and then the procs roll in.


Something's broken here, but it sure ain't Ice Spikes.
____________________________
rdmcandie wrote:
RDM can attain an almost static 50% reduction to recast time, SCH can over shoot this for a total of 60% reduction under Alacrity (provided you are wearing loafers and keeping dark weather on yourself)

rdmcandie wrote:
MACC is a joke, any job with access to mage gear can hit close the MACC cap on legion mobs, which is why my BRD/RDM can land slow/para/blind despite having only 150 skill (from /RDM.)
#144 Sep 05 2011 at 1:01 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,286 posts
Almalieque wrote:

Cid wrote:
Do you have roughly one hour of time to play on a semi-regular basis? Congratulations, you have run out of excuses for not being in the process of getting +2 hands. Soloing Ironclad Executioner is not hard. There's no reason for you or Alma to have access to +1 hands but not be making quick and steady progress towards +2 hands if for whatever reason you haven't already got them.


Well, according to your own skewed logic, I have a reason not to have +2 as I currently DO NOT have roughly an hour of time to play on a semi regular basis. As I said, I"m currently in Iraq, working 14+ hour days. 90% of my responses to this game have been during my breaks. The other 10% have been while checking my email before I go to sleep and when I wake up. Majority of the rest of the time I spend contacting my friends and family back in the U.S. So no, I don't have the time. Hopefully this will all change soon, but as of now, no.

And before you say "What about before you left?". As I said, I'm more of a solo person. Just because new stuff came out, doesn't mean I magically received the older content. I was doing the LS thing for a minute, just to get atmas and wins. I later went back to solo because I wouldn't ever get anything worthwhile because of my schedule.

So, stop pretending to know people's schedules. Yes, I could sacrifice some sleep to play ffxi, but I'm not.

ITT: Scars of Abyssea is old content, Alma doesn't have time to play but has plenty of time to tell us how we're all wrong and Ironclad Executioner isn't soloable.
____________________________
Server: Midgardsormr
Occupation: Reckless Red Mage

IcookPizza wrote:

I think RDM's neurotic omniscience is sooooooo worth including in any alliance.
#145 Sep 05 2011 at 6:09 PM Rating: Good
***
1,018 posts
It's "not be a big deal" to cap dMND for Slow II.
It's "not be a big deal" to precast short spells with Fast Cast.
Almalieque's making a list of things that "aren't a big deal".

Just don't let it get too long, Alma...
Those things add-up.

The funniest thing is you acting like there's a disadvantage to precasting "short" spells in Fast cast gear.

____________________________
--------- Xenith ---------
----------------------------
RDM /
*videos*
#146 Sep 06 2011 at 12:34 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,265 posts
LyltiaofLakshmi wrote:


All I'm doing is presenting the skilled, well-geared RDM's side of the debate, and when everything I say gets handwaved with 'it doesn't matter because my playstyle is different,' when I know for a fact that not utilizing the strategies I espouse will lead to inevitable failure against any target above moderate difficulty, what conclusion do you expect me to reach, exactly?

Difficulty is relative. I've managed the majority of non HNM content (Read:Mission content.) of this game before the difficulty was lowered and before the level cap rise with Sub-par gear. Particularly on RDM, gear was optional on everything but Melee. As our performances really haven't improved all that much in many respects since then, our gear has gotten more of a requirement, particularly in curing.




Quote:
As for your reference to old endgame, 95% of that gear has been replaced by either Abyssea or the Auction House, so I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.


So Duelists Chadeau isn't default Idle gear? Could have fooled me. If your referring to Sea Gear, RDM barely got anything of merit out of it anyways. Salvage Gear we'll hold off the ruling on until we see what they plan to do to Augment it. But there's no denying the use of AF3+2 gear. That'll likely bet the majority of my gear goals for a long time to come.


Quote:
The content I call crap easy is about 90% of Abyssea, and that 90% includes +2 armor and accessories, with very few exceptions. The content is months and months old at this point, and it's the best time:reward ratio for every job, including RDM. Even if you've had an average of 2 hours of playtime a week since it launched, there isn't much excuse for not having it finished for your main job, at the absolute least.


"Months and Months old"

Are you forgetting this game is nearing a decade old? That's 120 months my friend. "Month's and months" is not a long time to be calling content old, given the age of the game as a whole. I was gone for *stops and thinks about it* Pretty much a year or so, it was shortly after the FIRST Abyssea expansion came out. And honestly, the attitude I see here on the forums isn't encouraging for a return.

It's the same elitist bullsh*t that it was years ago. I get that the gear is easier to obtain, it doesn't make my accessibility to the game any more so. Remember, RDM is not a popular abyssea job. When I return I'll resume working on BLU so that I do have one that's at least semi-popular (wanted to raise that job up anyways, no point not leveling it now.)


cidbahamut wrote:

Do you have roughly one hour of time to play on a semi-regular basis?



The answer for most of the last 9 years is no. We'll see if restricting it to the weekends works. (Sans Sunday nights as that's XBL night with my brother.)

The answer beyond that is I don't want to dedicate the entirety of my in game time to trying to catch up on everything and enjoying none of my playtime in the process. Loot rules pretty much screwed me out of everything in the old endgame unless I dedicated every ounce of my game time to endgame, and even then I fell behind in other ways such as Gil. Now that the game has shifted to abyssea, my biggest problem is the fact that my work shift is in the middle of the afternoon during the week and all of my friends enter more dedicated endgame activities by the time I get home from work, and pass out soon afterwards. And I flatly loose interest in the game when they're not on, as they're the reason I returned to begin with.

Again, I got back what, early July, and I took the entirety of Augest off and was gone for a year before that.

I think I made out good going from 0/5 to 5/5 Relic in that timeframe, thanks.

But when you insult the content of the game that's available to the casual player, it insults those who actually have a life outside FFXI, even in recreation. I don't mind if you caution people to be more prepared if they are going to enter the same field as you as far as Voidwatch or high tier Abyssean NMs go. But half of these arguments shouldn't even be taking place because people are playing entirely different sections of the game from each other.

People still think I want to walk up to a HNM and melee it, after years and years of me explaining that what I want is more of the Assault style gameplay, and a section of endgame that focuses on more frantic fights in which the playerbase is outnumbered by monsters they could probably solo. (Note that I have a field day in the current Dynamis.) I tired of the same old formula of "Fight X tier NM, kill it, move on to Y Tier." It's boring to me because the game isn't that action orientated compared to other games, and other MMOs.

Assaults, Beseiged, Campaign, Bastion, some NM soloing, (Insert Currency)Notorious Monsters and Missions these are the parts of the game I love the most. I do the rest usually just for the gear. You can keep the HNM fights, thanks. Not that I don't get the appeal of it, and the loot. But I really doesn't appeal to me, even if I had the time. I'll do the ones I need to in order to gear myself, and my closest friends, but it's not something I want to do on a regular basis.

Between that and my availability, yeah, I've got difficulties getting the things I want. Life is hectic here. (Divorces, moves, drug addictions, marriages, and all sorts of lovely drama, and most of them are just family.) I've moved several times in the past decade and have gone through jobs which are 'you come here when I call you here' type bids. My life doesn't lend itself well to MMOs. Dosen't make me any less of a person, or a player for that matter.

Though I do understand your concern with Alma trying to get away with not swapping for things. I had to tell someone the value of swapping gear earlier in the summer.

It's not an excuse NOT to have gear, cid, it's the reality of my game. I've multiple hobbies and limited time to spread between them. I'm not going to hate myself for not prioritizing this game over other parts of my life.

#147 Sep 06 2011 at 12:37 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,265 posts
IcookPizza wrote:

The funniest thing is you acting like there's a disadvantage to precasting "short" spells in Fast cast gear.



If you're fumbeling about with your controls trying to swap in precast and your potency gear, then yes, there is a disadvantage, especially with AF3+2 flatly adding an entire new set to macro in for Refresh, Haste, and Regens.

Not everyone runs Widower Macros or spellcast. And speaking as someone who tried to do macros without those, it's a lot of damned work to try to keep up with those 3rd party tools.

As it is, I don't know what I'm going to do with sponticity.

Edited, Sep 6th 2011 2:40am by Hyrist
#148 Sep 06 2011 at 1:18 AM Rating: Excellent
***
3,059 posts
Speaking as someone who tried to do macros without Windower, I did fine for years.
____________________________
"And I'm prepared to passionately argue this point until nothing makes sense anymore. If that doesn't work, then the hours upon hours of whining will." -Red Mage Statscowski

Saggo of Garuda Lakshmi
#149 Sep 06 2011 at 1:44 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,265 posts
You'll have to pardon my skepticism, but how did you manage to macro in pre AND mid cast sets into limits of 5 lines? (I got as far as potency/accuracy sets swapped back into idle/melee and that was it.)

Mind you, this is on a fast casting spell enhanced moreso by fast cast gear.

Edited, Sep 6th 2011 3:45am by Hyrist
#150 Sep 06 2011 at 3:36 AM Rating: Default
**
824 posts
There's a command that switches pages within the same book of macros, so if you set up your macros properly, you can essentially spam one macro to perform up to 10 different sets of actions in sequence. Still not as good as Windower/Spellcast, but workable.

ALT1 Page1
equip~ (Fast Cast gear)
equip~
equip~
equip~
equip~
changepage2

ALT1 Page2
spell~ (Cast spell)
equip~ (Potency/Accuracy/Recast/whatever gear)
equip~
equip~
equip~
changepage3

(Insert more pages if you want to equip more gear here)

ALT1 Page3
equip~ (Idle gear)
equip~
equip~
equip~
equip~
changepage1

Using this, you press the macro once to change to Precast, press it a second time to fire the spell, plus one additional time for each additional page of gear swaps (3 times to switch 14 slots worth of gear is the most you'll need), and press a final time (or times, depending how much gear needs to be swapped to go back to idle) to go back to your idle gear and return to the first page.

As for your other post, D.Chapeau is now stupid easy to get, all you have to do is pay 50k for unlimited Dynamis access and be capable of soloing EP demons; not a very good example.

In regards to the rest, if you have so little playtime, obviously none of what we said really applies to you, so there's no reason to get so bent out of shape about it. Playing your overused "I hate elitists" card is not the correct response, as anyone can tell by taking a stroll through Port Jeuno these days that +2 gear is hardly rare. When we say this stuff is easily obtainable, we don't mean you have to join some endgame LS, kiss ass, and sit in line for a few months to get it (although some, amazingly, still do this); we mean that you can either go solo it yourself and get it done in a few runs, or grab a friend and finish it in one go.

Edited, Sep 6th 2011 8:50am by LyltiaofLakshmi
____________________________
rdmcandie wrote:
RDM can attain an almost static 50% reduction to recast time, SCH can over shoot this for a total of 60% reduction under Alacrity (provided you are wearing loafers and keeping dark weather on yourself)

rdmcandie wrote:
MACC is a joke, any job with access to mage gear can hit close the MACC cap on legion mobs, which is why my BRD/RDM can land slow/para/blind despite having only 150 skill (from /RDM.)
#151 Sep 06 2011 at 7:31 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,286 posts
Hyrist wrote:

cidbahamut wrote:

Do you have roughly one hour of time to play on a semi-regular basis?



The answer for most of the last 9 years is no.

Then why on earth would you be playing an MMORPG?
____________________________
Server: Midgardsormr
Occupation: Reckless Red Mage

IcookPizza wrote:

I think RDM's neurotic omniscience is sooooooo worth including in any alliance.
This thread is locked
You cannot post in a locked topic!
Recent Visitors: 21 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (21)