Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Sword Trial SuggestionsFollow

#1 Apr 22 2011 at 7:49 AM Rating: Good
Hello Fellow Red Mages,

I have been working on staff trials for my BLM, which I find useful on my RDM as well, since I typically set up as a back line nuker/enfeebler on my mage. However, I have been wanting to work on a sword trial as well. My sword skill is almost capped and I have finally quested Savage Blade, so I would like to take my RDM to the front line and start melee'ing a bit more. With this in mind, I am trying to determine what the best swords for me would be.

I like the Khanda +2 that occasionally attacks 2-4 times, but I am not sure if this is the best melee sword for RDM. I am also looking at the MAB/INT sword just to have for when I want to nuke a mob down after whacking it around a bit.

What are your thoughts and suggestions on sword trials?

I am also curious what melee gear everyone is using. Up until recently I had been concentrating on accuracy because my skill was low. Now that it is almost cap, I need to put together a good set up for melee.

I appreciate everyone's input!
____________________________
~Elspetta~
99 BLM WHM RDM SCH SMN BRD THF DNC WAR
Phoenix
~~Remember the Titans~~
#2 Apr 22 2011 at 8:23 AM Rating: Excellent
Guru
Avatar
*****
10,649 posts
Ideal would be Almace and the DA% sword, but that's understandably out of reach for a lot of people. The WoE weapon would be the plan B, but the event itself is still pretty blah and too random on reward.

What you do with the other swords will kind of depend on your intention when meleeing, too. If you're doing a turtle mode /BLU style, it's hard to go wrong with the -PDT path paired with Genbu's Shield. The MATK sword will be a modest, all-around addition to nuking and Sanguine Blade if using the right sub, but staves will obviously be better for nuking and the WS% sword would also be better for Sanguine. I'd probably put the DEX sword over STR under the premise of hitting more often being better than a little harder, as even in Abyssea, some mobs you won't be capping ACC without food and/or meds.

Our current gear, sadly, is old and generally outclassed compared to other jobs, but it's all we can hope to muster until shows us some love, if ever.

Head: Walahra Turban (Zelus Tiara being an upgrade here)
Neck: Peacock Charm
Ear1: Suppanomimi
Ear2: Brutal Earring
Body: Goliard Saio (ACP body with DW% and ACC being a contender)
Hands: Dusk Gloves (+1)
Rings: Pretty variable here. Could go with 2 ACC if needed, or things like Rajas/Hoard for x-hit, etc..
Back: Atheling Mantle (Amemet +1 is basically the hold-over)
Waist: Swift Belt (Goading Belt its eventual replacement if you can coax people to give you a Lacovie drop)
Legs: ASA pants with +3 Haste/+7 ACC (Augmented ANNM Clown Subligar from Saur could get 3%, with Nashira being a lesser option to the two)
Feet: Dusk Ledelsens (+1)

Pretty much a Haste heavy build, and if you fall upon 25-26% with whatever combo, you might wanna look into swapping something else around for a more beneficial stat, most likely ACC under the same principle I noted with the swords. What you use for WSing will depend largely on the WS itself, but that's never been RDM's strong suit. Also, work on an Enhancing set to beef up your enspells during the TP phase. With merit cap increases coming, there's no reason for a dedicated RDM to not have 8/8/8 Enf/Ele/Enh.
#3 Apr 22 2011 at 8:27 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,416 posts
If you're looking to melee, Badelaire +2 is not to be underestimated. Chant du Cygne is pretty beastly, especially for a sword WS. The NM camping trials are pretty easy; the only hard part is getting the coins from Walk of Echoes, but you can usually do pickups if you're on during JP prime hours.

It really depends on what you want to put into it, but the -PDT Shamshir is another solid option if you plan on bloodtanking or messing around with /PLD or /BLU.

If you're looking to be more casual about it, consider using Clement Skean or Twilight Dagger mainhand, since Evisceration is also quite nice in Abyssea.
____________________________
Aliekber
RDM BLU SCH DRG PLD BLM NIN WHM
Linkshell: CrimsonMercenaries Server: Carbamesh

Sandinmygum the Stupendous wrote:
Human (?) females look ugly.
Post in /K/ where the orbital laser system is now online.
#4 Apr 22 2011 at 8:43 AM Rating: Good
Thank you both, this is great information!

I have a static Shin group and I am last in line for the Twilight Knife, since 3 of the 6 of us have THF. Luckily 2 already have it, so it should be mine in the next 2x we get it to drop!

I am feeling pretty good about the gear, because some of it I already have and the rest should be obtainable because my above static is great about doing NMs enough that everyone comes out with their desired objects!
____________________________
~Elspetta~
99 BLM WHM RDM SCH SMN BRD THF DNC WAR
Phoenix
~~Remember the Titans~~
#5 Apr 22 2011 at 8:51 AM Rating: Excellent
Guru
Avatar
*****
10,649 posts
On that end, I'm kinda envious. Can be frustrating seeing some people working on their 2nd or 3rd empyrean weapon/+2 set while myself and others haven't even really finished one in part due to RL. Seriously just went from being at my sister's for 2 weeks with limited net/computer access to come home, only to have to take my mom to the ER for emergency surgery and be back and from the hospital since. My sleep is so ****** right now.
#6 Apr 22 2011 at 9:57 AM Rating: Good
Seriha wrote:
On that end, I'm kinda envious. Can be frustrating seeing some people working on their 2nd or 3rd empyrean weapon/+2 set while myself and others haven't even really finished one in part due to RL. Seriously just went from being at my sister's for 2 weeks with limited net/computer access to come home, only to have to take my mom to the ER for emergency surgery and be back and from the hospital since. My sleep is so @#%^ed right now.


I'm sorry to hear! Once things settle down at home, I am sure you will be able to get those things!

Don't be envious though! I work full time (with a 2 hour commute) and have a 5 year old at home, so I only play 3-4 hours in the evenings and on weekends. It's not so much a time sink to get things done if you are serious about doing it. I am not working on my first empyrean yet, but I do have my BLM all +1 with my body +2, RDM and WHM both +1 on legs, feet, and head. I have been working on my trials rather slowly and will continue to work through them slowly. I am not in a hurry to get everything done and I want to concentrate on my mages before leveling up any more jobs!
____________________________
~Elspetta~
99 BLM WHM RDM SCH SMN BRD THF DNC WAR
Phoenix
~~Remember the Titans~~
#7 Apr 22 2011 at 11:26 PM Rating: Default
*
208 posts
Aliekber wrote:
It really depends on what you want to put into it, but the -PDT Shamshir is another solid option if you plan on bloodtanking or messing around with /NIN.


Fixed this. Dual wield them, eat a taco, and there is rarely a reason to sub BLU. -103% spell interrupt is also much easier to get /NIN. They are also absolutely sick for PVP I might add.

EDIT:
These swords are more for people who plan on capping PDT. If you are not one of those people, one of the other options will probably be better for you. Also if you havent made Varuna's/Indra's yet, I would do those first.

Edited, Apr 23rd 2011 1:44am by K1n371x
#8 Apr 22 2011 at 11:43 PM Rating: Good
***
1,018 posts
Quote:
Fixed this. Dual wield them, eat a taco, and there is rarely a reason to sub BLU. -103% spell interrupt is also much easier to get /NIN.
Judging from the surface, this doesn't seem very practical.
____________________________
--------- Xenith ---------
----------------------------
RDM /
*videos*
#9 Apr 22 2011 at 11:45 PM Rating: Decent
*
208 posts
Why not? Sure, you can use Genbu's and /BLU with only one, but why when you can eat a taco and have shadows and dual wield?

More on topic, The PDT Magian Swords, augmented Dark Rings/Earrings, and Twilight Torque made capping PDT much easier, with fewer important slots. In fact I have capped PDT without a single piece of darksteel. It's amazing. By far they are the most useful Magian Swords IMO.

Edited, Apr 23rd 2011 2:10am by K1n371x
____________________________
90RDM 90BLM
#10 Apr 23 2011 at 2:19 AM Rating: Good
***
1,018 posts
Quote:
Why not? Sure, you can use Genbu's and /BLU with only one, but why when you can eat a taco and have shadows and dual wield?

PDT gear is begging to...
-Utilize (Ice) Spikes, which aren't very Utsusemi-friendly
-Utilize PDT's innate -%Spell Interruption
-Utilize Shield Mastery
-Utilize motha f*ckin Sanguine Blade
-Utilize more TP, aquired from
a. utilizing the above
b. exemption from repetitive Utsusemi-casting (Cocoon)
c. utilization of motha f*cking Sanguine Blade

Cocoon is begging to...
-Facilitate ALL utilizations stated above

Regarding semantics; if the situation is "suicide" enough to necessitate both /NIN and capped PDT... I'd wear a Genbu's shield.

**EDIT**
As for Wild Carrot, Auto-regen, Killer effects, Head ****, and attribute/stat bonuses... why, those are just the little perks.

Edited, Apr 23rd 2011 4:31am by IcookPizza
____________________________
--------- Xenith ---------
----------------------------
RDM /
*videos*
#11 Apr 23 2011 at 2:40 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,018 posts
Thanks to Sanguine Blade, Offense and Defense are now 100% synonymous in RDM/BLU's world.

Edited, Apr 23rd 2011 4:42am by IcookPizza
____________________________
--------- Xenith ---------
----------------------------
RDM /
*videos*
#12 Apr 23 2011 at 2:42 AM Rating: Decent
*
208 posts
IcookPizza wrote:

PDT gear is begging to...
-Utilize (Ice) Spikes, which aren't very Utsusemi-friendly
-Utilize PDT's innate -%Spell Interruption
-Utilize Shield Mastery
-Utilize motha f*ckin Sanguine Blade
-Utilize more TP, aquired from
a. utilizing the above
b. exemption from repetitive Utsusemi-casting (Cocoon)
c. utilization of motha f*cking Sanguine Blade

Cocoon is begging to...
-Facilitate ALL utilizations stated above

Regarding semantics; if the situation is "suicide" enough to necessitate both /NIN and capped PDT... I'd wear a Genbu's shield.

**EDIT**
As for Wild Carrot, Auto-regen, Killer effects, Head ****, and attribute/stat bonuses... why, those are just the little perks.

Edited, Apr 23rd 2011 4:31am by IcookPizza


I respect you as a RDM but you cant be a one trick pony, and most of that stuff is fluff.

-Para II is far, far better than Ice Spikes, even then, youre still gonna get hit plenty /NIN on anything that matters.
-Shield Mastery is a joke.
-Head **** doest work subbed on anything that matters.

Cocoon/SB are the only reasons to ever sub BLU.

There are plenty of things you want PDT/Shadows/Dualwield without being "suicide" enough to warrant wearing a shield /NIN.

You're bias Xenith, and thats cool.

Edited, Apr 23rd 2011 5:03am by K1n371x
____________________________
90RDM 90BLM
#13 Apr 23 2011 at 3:16 AM Rating: Good
***
1,018 posts
Egh, you're probably right on the whole bias thing.

Everything else, too, probably.
____________________________
--------- Xenith ---------
----------------------------
RDM /
*videos*
#14 Apr 23 2011 at 3:36 AM Rating: Good
***
1,018 posts
Actually, after thinking more about it, you're wrong.

If Xenith had applied herself more, she would have... better-proven whatever points I've been trying to prove.
____________________________
--------- Xenith ---------
----------------------------
RDM /
*videos*
#15 Apr 23 2011 at 3:52 AM Rating: Good
*
208 posts
I think were both right. /BLU is very strong, so is /NIN... Almost anything you can solo /NIN you can do /BLU and vice versa... almost. She has proven enough. She is the reason why I leveled both.

Edited, Apr 23rd 2011 6:02am by K1n371x
____________________________
90RDM 90BLM
#16 Apr 25 2011 at 2:29 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,260 posts
K1n371x wrote:
Para II is far, far better than Ice Spikes, even then, youre still gonna get hit plenty /NIN on anything that matters.


Really?

Please forgive me for being a noob, I quit for a couple of years and only recently returned, and I havent even got around to regearing my Rdm yet.

But iirc before I quit Para II was considered to be too random, inconsistant and generally unreliable, with many rdm just sticking with the more mp efficient para I, and spending their merits else where. I also remember Icespikes pretty much being the Rolls Royce of para proc rates.

Has somthing changed whilst I have been away? Or is my memory just as bad as people tell me?
____________________________
Retired from FFXI ....but for how long this time?
#17 Apr 25 2011 at 7:36 AM Rating: Good
Wow, this has turned into a fun one!

Right now I /nin, but only because I do not have blu unlocked yet. That is on my list of things to do. While eventually I will probably do a -pdt sword, right now I am looking for more of a damage sword (dual wield, yes please) because my BF plays a blu w/ a -pdt set and also a nin. I don't actually solo very often. (not that I wouldn't like to try some)

I have seen a variety of videos and I would have to say that the benefits of /blu do seem to outweigh the benefits of /nin for solo'ing for the various reasons stated above. I have also seen what a main nin and main blu can do, so I am leaning towards the blu.

Thanks for all of the info though!!
____________________________
~Elspetta~
99 BLM WHM RDM SCH SMN BRD THF DNC WAR
Phoenix
~~Remember the Titans~~
#18 Apr 25 2011 at 7:51 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,649 posts
GenryuOfBahamut wrote:
K1n371x wrote:
Para II is far, far better than Ice Spikes, even then, youre still gonna get hit plenty /NIN on anything that matters.


Really?

Please forgive me for being a noob, I quit for a couple of years and only recently returned, and I havent even got around to regearing my Rdm yet.

But iirc before I quit Para II was considered to be too random, inconsistant and generally unreliable, with many rdm just sticking with the more mp efficient para I, and spending their merits else where. I also remember Icespikes pretty much being the Rolls Royce of para proc rates.

Has somthing changed whilst I have been away? Or is my memory just as bad as people tell me?

With some really strong potency gear (lots of +MND) along with Saboteur, Para II can be on the level of Ice Spikes pretty handily, but it's still kinda random and Saboteur is better spent on Slow II, which is always consistent.
____________________________

#19 Apr 26 2011 at 2:05 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,260 posts
CarthRDM wrote:
With some really strong potency gear (lots of +MND) along with Saboteur, Para II can be on the level of Ice Spikes pretty handily, but it's still kinda random and Saboteur is better spent on Slow II, which is always consistent.


Ah thanks for filling me in, heck I wasnt even aware of this Saboteur ability. Wish I had more free time to get my teeth stuck into all these new goodies XD
____________________________
Retired from FFXI ....but for how long this time?
#20 Apr 27 2011 at 12:00 AM Rating: Good
*
208 posts
I've literally Para II locked NM's like Mictlan and Lord Varney with just potency gear. To the point where the fights became easy mode. Ice Spikes can be potent in Brenner, or on things like EXP mobs but I have never seen them work anywhere near this good on NM's. Cruor buffs and easy to get high MND gear probably have something to do with it.
#21 Apr 27 2011 at 2:55 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,018 posts
(empyrean armor bonuses aside)
Ice Spikes costs 16MP for a 9 minute duration. (Cast it n' forget it!)
Paralyze II costs 36MP for a 30-60 second duration. (Cast it. Cast it. Cast it. Rinse. Cast it. Repeat.)

Over 9 minutes:
-'Slow II' & 'Paralyze(II)' costs 621MP*, and 220,000exp worth of "Group 2" upgrades
-'Slow II' & 'Paralyze(I)' costs 270MP*, and no merit points
-'Slow II' & 'Ice Spikes' costs 151 MP, and no merit points
(with the loose assumption that Paralyze I/II lasts 45 seconds, average)

That's a solid nuke's worth of MP saved every 9 minutes!
And the cherry on top? The additional "Ice damage" effect.
____________________________
--------- Xenith ---------
----------------------------
RDM /
*videos*
#22 Apr 27 2011 at 3:20 AM Rating: Good
*
208 posts
That's all good stuff, but like I said, I've never seen them work anywhere near as well as Para II on Abyssea NM's. I have been soloing a lot of them lately so I feel pretty confident about it. It's not even close.

Edited, Apr 27th 2011 5:21am by K1n371x
#23 Apr 27 2011 at 3:36 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,018 posts
Could it be your enfeebling skill vs your enhancing skill?

I'm not very verse with those zones. Besides some explorative nonsense, I've only visited Abyssea to level 75 to 80, then 80 to 90.
____________________________
--------- Xenith ---------
----------------------------
RDM /
*videos*
#24 Apr 27 2011 at 3:46 AM Rating: Good
*
208 posts
IcookPizza wrote:
Could it be your enfeebling skill vs your enhancing skill?

I'm not very verse with those zones. Besides some explorative nonsense, I've only visited Abyssea to level 75 to 80, then 80 to 90.


Both are capped. I'm pretty sure it has more to do with Cruor buffs and Atma. Casting Para II in +200 MND is something we've never been able to do until Abyssea came along.
____________________________
90RDM 90BLM
#25 Apr 27 2011 at 10:06 AM Rating: Good
Guru
Avatar
*****
10,649 posts
K1n371x wrote:
That's all good stuff, but like I said, I've never seen them work anywhere near as well as Para II on Abyssea NM's. I have been soloing a lot of them lately so I feel pretty confident about it. It's not even close.

Edited, Apr 27th 2011 5:21am by K1n371x


How often are you actually letting a mob whack you with Ice Spikes on to get an even adequate comparison? I'm gonna take a guess at, "Not often." since the only way a RDM can really hope to tank harder mobs without CDC is by nuking, and eventually you'll run out of MP.
#26 Apr 27 2011 at 12:41 PM Rating: Decent
*
208 posts
Seriha wrote:
How often are you actually letting a mob whack you with Ice Spikes on to get an even adequate comparison? I'm gonna take a guess at, "Not often." since the only way a RDM can really hope to tank harder mobs without CDC is by nuking, and eventually you'll run out of MP.


I have to agree. That's the idea.

If by tank you mean solo, you're wrong.
If by tank you mean tank, I dont understand what you are getting at.

A wise man once told me never to dilute a strong argument with a weak one. Ice Spikes are not a strong argument for /BLU, because /NIN can eat a taco, PDT up, and let the mob stroke his spikes too. Cocoon and SB are however a strong argument.

/NIN is for things with powerful single target spells, and for when you need shadows to keep your stoneskin fresh for that big AOE or TP move.

/BLU is for things that shadows wont help you on, or when they are simply not needed.

Anyway I'm not going sit here and defend /NIN anymore. It is as practical on the surface as /BLU is.

Edited, Apr 28th 2011 4:53am by K1n371x
____________________________
90RDM 90BLM
#27 Apr 28 2011 at 1:34 AM Rating: Good
Guru
Avatar
*****
10,649 posts
My point was you can't fairly compare it to Para 2 in Abyssea because you're probably looking at 1000:1 applications of comparison in Para's favor. I'll be inclined to say Para is stronger if only because of the MND boosts from cruor and/or atma, but I'm not gonna run around calling it fact.
#28 Apr 30 2011 at 8:44 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
9,013 posts
K1n371x wrote:
IcookPizza wrote:

PDT gear is begging to...
-Utilize (Ice) Spikes, which aren't very Utsusemi-friendly
-Utilize PDT's innate -%Spell Interruption
-Utilize Shield Mastery
-Utilize motha f*ckin Sanguine Blade
-Utilize more TP, aquired from
a. utilizing the above
b. exemption from repetitive Utsusemi-casting (Cocoon)
c. utilization of motha f*cking Sanguine Blade

Cocoon is begging to...
-Facilitate ALL utilizations stated above

Regarding semantics; if the situation is "suicide" enough to necessitate both /NIN and capped PDT... I'd wear a Genbu's shield.

**EDIT**
As for Wild Carrot, Auto-regen, Killer effects, Head ****, and attribute/stat bonuses... why, those are just the little perks.

Edited, Apr 23rd 2011 4:31am by IcookPizza


I respect you as a RDM but you cant be a one trick pony, and most of that stuff is fluff.

-Para II is far, far better than Ice Spikes, even then, youre still gonna get hit plenty /NIN on anything that matters.
-Shield Mastery is a joke.
-Head **** doest work subbed on anything that matters.

Cocoon/SB are the only reasons to ever sub BLU.

There are plenty of things you want PDT/Shadows/Dualwield without being "suicide" enough to warrant wearing a shield /NIN.

You're bias Xenith, and thats cool.

Edited, Apr 23rd 2011 5:03am by K1n371x


Ice spikes is far, far, far better than Para II during melee. Not only does it save mp, but the duration is much longer.

Head but does indeed work subbed on stuff that you are actually able to melee on. As a 75 RDM, I was head-butting XP mobs and level 8 Beseiged mobs.
____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
#29 May 30 2011 at 2:33 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
35 posts
Since we brought up PDT-% swords, what are the other PDT pieces people use nowadays?

Looking to put together a solid set, and with all the new equipment, I'm not sure if I'm missing something.

Sword: Shamshir PDT / Shield: Genbu
Neck: Twilight Torque
Earring: Colossus's Earring / ???
Rings: Aug. Dark Rings
Back: Umbra/Cheviot
Legs: Tatsu (-4% PDT)

Darksteel for the remaining spots? (Head, Feet, Body?) | Any important atma?

Edited, May 30th 2011 1:35pm by xZENOGIASx
____________________________
We loved so many, yet we hated so much,
We hurt others and we hurt ourselves...
Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
Whilst our laughter echoed... Under cerulean skies...
#30 May 30 2011 at 4:02 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,327 posts
Saboteur Para II, (As I've got 5/5) Seems to vary more depending on the monster it is cast upon, than simply being "Too Random". I've had it out preform Ice Spikes quite readily.

The problem being Ice Spikes may inflict a paralyze, and then that paralyze is also subject to potency variables. Even with enhancing gear, an mob can just be resistant to having it land on him.

I prefer to Saboteur Para II when:

I'm not the party target and (any of the below)-
There's another Red Mage
Enemy is Slow Resistant
Enemy multi-attacks frequently (Including /RA and Monk type mobs)

When I AM the party target and:
Slow Resistant enemy.
Ice Spikes seem to have a low yield
I'm going full defensive stacking against a single target(Blind II, Slow II, S-Paralyze II, Shock spikes.)
Enemy is a silence resistant caster.
I'm playing at a range. (Kite/nuking)

It's a risk vs rewards thing, honestly. Paralyze II can outright lock down some IT monsters in a way I've only seen Ice Spikes do to TW-EP mobs.
#31 May 30 2011 at 4:29 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,327 posts
Quote:
Ideal would be Almace and the DA% sword, but that's understandably out of reach for a lot of people. The WoE weapon would be the plan B, but the event itself is still pretty blah and too random on reward.


I'm wondering about the statement about the DA% Sword here. What's the basis for having the DA% Sword over all other swords (In the Khanda tree?)

I'm asking because I'm just about at road divide between the Double attack +10 Sword and the Attacks 2-4 times sword, and was wondering what the complete reasoning behind this is. I've been gone for quite a while.

I aim to get a Beledaire +2 after completing this one if it helps any. What I want to know is will it outshine Joyeuse as an offhand sword to Belidare +2 or should I just go with the 2-4 sword (For offhand, and just playing around with it + Joyeuse.)

Sadly the path's don't divide in name yet so I can only hold onto one of these.

Edited, May 30th 2011 6:45pm by Hyrist
#32 May 30 2011 at 6:53 PM Rating: Default
**
785 posts
High delay detracts the benefits from all the swords in the Khanda tree slightly, also with atma (mainly Apoc or A/O for instance) the benefits of OAT and Oa2-4 are depreciated (even outside the 2-4 is fairly bad for overall DoT last I checked; it doesn't increase WS frequency by enough to offset its low DPS). The elemental shamshirs are also a good choice, STR if accuracy isn't needed and DEX is a clear winner if it is.



Edited, May 30th 2011 9:54pm by Neisan
#33 May 31 2011 at 5:21 AM Rating: Good
Guru
Avatar
*****
10,649 posts
Well, it's better for BLUs since they can also set a DA trait and TP in like 30% DA, but the main lure would be upping the number of times you could Almace's aftermath proc, sustain it, and of course the nudge in WS damage from time to time.
#34 May 31 2011 at 10:39 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,327 posts
Seriha wrote:
Well, it's better for BLUs since they can also set a DA trait and TP in like 30% DA, but the main lure would be upping the number of times you could Almace's aftermath proc, sustain it, and of course the nudge in WS damage from time to time.


Thanks for the clarification. It seems to be too narrow of a utility, however, for me to dedicate the Khanda to that when there's still the chance that the multi attack one could go 2-5 and outshine joyeuse for both DoT and TP building.

What I'm hoping for more, however, is that they eventually separate in name. Allowing us to carry multiple completed swords of the same category. (as far as Khanda is concerned.)
#35 May 31 2011 at 11:46 AM Rating: Decent
Guru
Avatar
*****
10,649 posts
I'm hoping for similar, but really, if you're gonna anticipate the 2-4x path to grow to 2-5x (which I doubt), then you may as well consider DA% could become TA% if not at least further % increases. Depending on other (future) gear, jobs like BLU could effectively gain the DA rate of dual-wielding Joyeuses, just with much better damage weapons. We'll never quite compete unless SE decides to play on my old Quick spell idea that'd grant DA and/or TA as a self-buff spell.
#36 May 31 2011 at 12:11 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
4,327 posts
That would be an interesting spell to see, honestly.

For now, however, Khanda for me is just more of a toy to use for fun. Even 10% Triple attack isn't going hold a candle to the TP gain rate of a multi attack unless we either get more accuracy natively (which will allow me to put Double Attack rate on my add-on gear) or we get that spell. And honestly, the weapon itself is just for me to spam attacks with.

I'll decide when I get a Badelair +2 whether or not it's worth off-handing verses a Joyeuse, which is a ways off still.

I might just park the sword at the split point and wait to see what they do to finish it off, focus on my other swords in the meanwhile. If on the off chance we DO get a "Quick" spell, I wouldn't mind taking the DA+ Route.
#37 May 31 2011 at 1:01 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,059 posts
xZENOGIASx wrote:
Since we brought up PDT-% swords, what are the other PDT pieces people use nowadays?

Looking to put together a solid set, and with all the new equipment, I'm not sure if I'm missing something.

Sword: Shamshir PDT / Shield: Genbu
Neck: Twilight Torque
Earring: Colossus's Earring / ???
Rings: Aug. Dark Rings
Back: Umbra/Cheviot
Legs: Tatsu (-4% PDT)

Darksteel for the remaining spots? (Head, Feet, Body?) | Any important atma?

Edited, May 30th 2011 1:35pm by xZENOGIASx


Weapon: 20% (Earth/Terra, 2x Shamshir, Shamshir/Genbu)
Neck: 5% (Twilight)
Ring: 12% (2x Aug. Dark)
Back: 6% (Umbra)
Body: 3% (Darksteel +1)
Hands: 3% (Melaco)
Earring: 1% (Colossus)

50% with head, legs, and feet free for Haste. You can toy with the combinations, adding other Darksteel +1, Tatsu Aug., Earrings Aug., etc.
____________________________
"And I'm prepared to passionately argue this point until nothing makes sense anymore. If that doesn't work, then the hours upon hours of whining will." -Red Mage Statscowski

Saggo of Garuda Lakshmi
#38 Jun 02 2011 at 3:35 AM Rating: Default
*
208 posts
jlejeune wrote:

Weapon: 20% (Earth/Terra, 2x Shamshir, Shamshir/Genbu)
Neck: 5% (Twilight)
Ring: 12% (2x Aug. Dark)
Back: 6% (Umbra)
Body: 3% (Darksteel +1)
Hands: 3% (Melaco)
Earring: 1% (Colossus)


I prefer this set up:

Weapon: 20% (Earth/Terra, 2x Shamshir, Shamshir/Genbu)
Neck: 5% (Twilight)
Ring: 12% (2x Aug. Dark)
Back: 6% (Umbra)
Legs: 4% (Tatsumaki, can add 3% haste or 8% movement augments as well)
Earring: 2% (Aug. Dark)

It's 1% short of 50% (only during the day), but it leaves body and hand slots open, which is a pretty big deal to me. Also, if you are lucky enough to get -5% MDT on your dark rings, thats -40% MDT with Shell V using the same set. Very nice.

Edited, Jun 2nd 2011 5:37am by K1n371x
#39 Sep 07 2011 at 7:23 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,087 posts
Necro knowingly but am just now getting around to taking my RDM 75-> 90/99 so probably wont be my last.
Quote:
Allowing us to carry multiple completed swords of the same category
???

Whats this about ? (currently have multiples of several weapons with same name) was this fixed in update ? or just brain-**** ?

____________________________
[99WAR,99BLM,99DRK,99BST,99PLD,99MNK,99SMN75RDM49THF45NIN/WHM/DNC
/SAM,,~] Galka

BASTOK:10 SKY: O SEA: O DYNAMIS: O
SIREN srvr
YARP !!!
Necro Warning: This post occurred more than thirty days after the prior, and may be a necropost.
#40 Sep 07 2011 at 7:42 AM Rating: Good
**
824 posts
Some Magian weapons have the RA tag, some don't; so you can make 20 Shamshirs if you like, but only 1 Khanda, 1 Almace, etc.
____________________________
rdmcandie wrote:
RDM can attain an almost static 50% reduction to recast time, SCH can over shoot this for a total of 60% reduction under Alacrity (provided you are wearing loafers and keeping dark weather on yourself)

rdmcandie wrote:
MACC is a joke, any job with access to mage gear can hit close the MACC cap on legion mobs, which is why my BRD/RDM can land slow/para/blind despite having only 150 skill (from /RDM.)
#41 Sep 07 2011 at 7:45 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,087 posts
OK, understood, TY
____________________________
[99WAR,99BLM,99DRK,99BST,99PLD,99MNK,99SMN75RDM49THF45NIN/WHM/DNC
/SAM,,~] Galka

BASTOK:10 SKY: O SEA: O DYNAMIS: O
SIREN srvr
YARP !!!
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 22 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (22)