1) No Hastega - we were all looking forward to being able to Accession - Haste/Refresh because that would open up more free time to Melee/Nuke/anything but endlessly Cycle through buffs like we have since day 1 of FFXI. We still get AoE refresh, which is a little improvement, but anyone that plays BRD knows that you are already hardly ever in a 6 mage party unless it's the BLM party in Dynamis, or a few other HNM like BV2, and in those events mages end up scattered anyway. At least in the front line the Melee are grouped around one mob, which in my opinion means that Accession - Haste would have done the most to alleviate the repetitiveness that is RDM.
Still a step up, but still frustrating.
2) They lowered enmity on Blind/Bind/Dispel/Sleep/Sleep2 - Whoever said 1% of RDM tank is a @#%^ing idiot. I'll agree that a large portion of the RDM community exists simply to Haste/Refresh/Enfeeble for events, and that's the limit of their experience. I really got into RDM tanking in Campaign, not only is it great for EXP, it's just really damn fun, and one of the reasons I find myself revisiting Campaign.
A step down for RDM, and not even a necessary one as nothing about RDM tanking was game breaking.
3) Aquaveil - I never messed with the 100% spell interrupt set because I don't have the inventory for it, and even if this change wasn't aimed at RDM, it's still just like adding salt to the wound that lowering enmity on those dark magic spells produced. I'm guessing the idea was for BLM with Manna Wall active to be able to recast Stoneskin without taking damage while /RDM.
A step down for RDM, but I think it's an improvement for the spell itself to be useful.
4) New Spells and Abilities - Err wait, Regen 2 is nice, but I already had that /SCH, and TIV Stone and Water are @#%^ing worthless. They will likely be less efficient than TIII Ice/Thunder spells. Later if we get access to TIV Fire/Ice/Thunder life will be a little better, but up to 80 it's just Meh... Protect V makes me happy for those times we are tankin... Actually this is probably going to be expensive as hell, I'm not looking forward to those scenarios where it's my job to keep that up on people. Oh, also no new job abilities.
Well, we got new stuff so we shouldn't complain because in the end, we're still better than we were two days ago. That's the logic right? If it was your favorite job, you'd feel just as annoyed as we all do right now.
So what makes us unique? At level 80 the only things we have are our T2 merit spells, one of which just became less useful (Phalanx). SCH doesn't get access to Haste and Refresh until the cap gets raised to 99, so that leaves RDM with Paralyze II, Slow II, Dia III, and Bio III. Blind III and Phalanx II are pretty worthless from this point on.
So right now all RDM brings to the table is Haste, Refresh, Para/Slow II, Dia/Bio III. I'm sure it will be a while before the cap gets to 99, but at that point, we will be unique only because of Para/Slow II, Dia/Bio III. I have my fingers crossed that they will add something to the job to make up for its growing trend towards unexceptional, but I don't see how any other class in the game can point at RDM and say we don't deserve to be pissed. Try giving PUP Counterstance, Focus, Dodge, Chi-Blast, and Boost then see how the MNKs feel about it.
5) WHM, BLM, BRD, SCH are getting access to another easily obtained piece of Refresh Gear - I don't know about you guys but I think Duelist's Chapeau, Morrigan's Cloak, and Dalmatica are some very coveted, and incredibly tough pieces of gear to obtain. I've heard more horror stories about people on their quest for Duelist's Chapeau than most other pieces of gear in the game. At 80, 2 tic refresh will be the norm for those jobs during Idle, at 99 when everyone has access to Refresh, 5 MP/tic, which is very very hard to get on RDM currently, will be the norm for those jobs all from the AH.
Lets hope somewhere between here and there we get tossed a bone to make up for this or else we lost another trait that made RDM valuable, MP endurance.
I see this group of people on the forums that are literally feeding off of our pain. I guess we were the SAM of the mage community, and now they are all watching and gloating while we indirectly get hit with the nerf stick, but having listed the things that I see are affecting our job negatively, I feel perfectly justified in QQing. RDM to 75 was one of the best things I ever did to enjoy the game it made it so I could do so much more tan previously on my own, no more asking for help to kill NMs, complete missions etc... It unlocked the game for me, and all anyone else had to do to feel the same was level RDM and not suck horribly. Now RDM is pretty much on the bottom of my list of jobs to take past 75...
I think I speak for many when I say "fuck RDM" there's no point in playing a job being steered towards a wanna-be WHM.
Ad where did Rog go?
96BST 95BLM 88RDM 78MNK 75BRD