Reposting my thoughts on what would have been something more impressive or a sort of idea as to what we really should have gotten, which I posted in the official forum's thread;
Just because I've noticed some people here and other places wanting to hear what sort of alternative I had expected for pup, I'll provide two examples of how using the same concept would be implemented in a much more appropriate/useful fashion:
First Example: Similar to the current one, but admitting that while the puppets are each based on player jobs, they are not, themselves, those jobs, and their unique 2hours should not be identical.
- Harlequin: An ability that either puts a nasty debuff on the mob (similar to the thought behind brd's new 2hour) or gives THE MASTER a buff that validates using harlequin for any reason other than getting laughed at.
- Valoredge: An ability that temporarily transfers all damage taken by the master to the puppet, or vice versa, or both, transfering it to whomever doesn't have hate, and ignoring AoE damage that hits both. Alternatively, do it with TP.
- Sharpshot: An ability that drops the Ranged Attack recast to 0~2 seconds, essentially giving sharpshot the ability to make use of that rapid crossbow we had to pay out the *** for/spend forever finding mats and a crafter for when we made the thing. It could even weaken the ranged attacks a bit to not be totally overpowered, since at best we're able to hit 12 seconds between ranged attacks and then have to rely on low-skill melee attacks to actually get TP. For the record, 12 seconds between ranged attacks is equal to ~1320 ranged delay, and that's with an r.acc penalty. The 20 second base delay is an outrageous 2200 delay. If SE tried to force players to use weapons with over 1k delay, everyone would just laugh at them.
- Stormwaker: The opposite of what harlequin got; if Harle was given an enfeeble, give stormwaker a badass buffing ability; if harle got the badass buff, give stormwaker a really nasty 2hourdebuff ability.
- Soulsoother: Since soulsoother is probably the most like its base job, giving a benediction-esqe effect would be fine, so long as it's not stupid like this one, and actually effects the entire party. If you want to keep off whm's toes, make it so that it only heals 50% of everyone's max HP or something, or that it gives them their HP back as a regen effect instead of in one big chunk. Actually, I kind of like that latter one, instead of Benediction it'd be Regenediction, and could be like, 5% HP/tick regen, which would heal 100% of a player's HP over 60 seconds, and would actually be as useful as benediction, without being the same thing, and useful in different situations. Alternatively; Mijin Gacure (terrible spelling pun, I'm sorry), the puppet detonates itself and the explosion heals all the surrounding party members.
- Spiritreaver: Spiritreaver's a bit trickier, since manafont is functionally pointless, and chainspell with T5 nukes would be... a tad wonky, since it would be more like nuke nuke aspir aspir aspir aspir nuke aspir aspir nuke aspir aspir aspir nuke, unless the target isn't aspirable, and then it would be nuke nuke nuke nuke nuke nuke mpgonenowwhatdoIdo? Simply giving it a damage boost would be questionable, because every other nuking job would want that as their 2hour too, and the alternative of giving it access to an otherwise inaccessible spell would be silly, since the only spells strong enough to actually make that work would be Impact, Comet, and Meteor, any of which would cause blms to rage pretty hard, though meteor more so than the other two. We could make pretty good use of Comet and Impact, I'd think, but having them as a 2hour would be a bit underwhelming. I really can't think of anything special for spiritreaver otherwise, though.
Second Example: One I sort of touched on earlier, and the one I feel would be more appropriate for pup, given the split between pet/master heavily favors the master (not to the degree of drg, but still); a spirit surge-esqe ability that could vary by frame, or just be universal.
- Standardized: Merges the Master and the Automaton, and really, the buff could be nearly identical to spirit surge (25% magic haste, Max HP+15%, adds pet's TP upon usage) and replace the Jump enhancements, and the large str enhancement, with this instead: any active maneuvers when the JA is used will be converted into stat buffs for the master (ie: fire maneuver -> str, thunder -> dex, etc), giving +20 stat for the first of a type of maneuver, and +5 for each identical maneuver (so 3 FM would be STR+30, 2 FM 1 TM would be STR+25 DEX+20, and 1 FM 1 TM 1 EM would be STR+20 DEX+20 VIT+20)
- Universal traits: Pet is lost, max HP is increased, and at the time of use the master will both receive the pet's TP, and be healed based on the pet's current HP; additionally, it would give stat buffs based on the current pet's head/frame combo, converting elemental capacity x3 to stats (essentially, Fire -> str, Thunder -> dex, Wnd -> agi, Earth -> vit, Water -> mnd, Ice -> int, but let's convert light maneuvers to a regen effect, since chr is useless, and since dark maneuvers translate to mp, let's change that, to a 1:1 regain effect (1 slot = 1 tp/tick)
- Harlequin: Gives the master an averaged buff; Stat buffs (harle head/frame would be str/dex/vit/agi/mnd/int+15 9HP/tick regen and 3tp/tick regain), atk+5%, acc+15, def+5%, eva+15, MDT-5%, 10% JA haste
- Valoredge: Gives the master a boost in survivability; Stat buffs (str/vit +21, dex/agi, mnd+9, int+6, 15HP/tick regen and 2tp/tick regain), atk+10%, def+10%, a larger increase to max HP relative to the other frames, as well as temporarily granting valoredge's natural DT (it would give the master -20%; it's actually -12%+9% from stout servant, but I'm rounding down for clean numbers), and just because it wouldn't be SE otherwise, it would also significantly boost guard's proc rate while active (they might even let it go as high as a staggering 10% proc rate!); Additionally, it would change the pup's melee attacks to slashing damage (WS would still be blunt)
- Sharpshot: Gives the master a boost in damage; Stat buffs (agi+21, str/dex+18, mnd+15, vit+9, int +6, 15HP/tick and 2tp/tick regain), 25% JA haste, acc+30, crit rate+10%, and it would change the pup's melee attacks to piercing damage (WS would still be blunt)
- Stormwaker: Gives the master a magical edge; Stat buffs (see below, since it would vary by head), 10% Magic haste, MDT-10%, M.Eva+ (whatever the equivalent amount would be based on the other frames), and it would convert the pup's melee attacks to magical damage (either non-elemental, like formless strikes, or elemental, based on either the day or the weather (or both; like how geode drops work: Weather takes priority, but if it's not present, the day will determine it); WS would still be physical blunt damage)
--- Full Stormwaker Stats: int+21, mnd+18, vit+15, agi+12, dex+9, str+6, 9HP/tick regen, 6TP/tick regain
--- Soulsoother Stats: int+21, mnd+18, vit+15, agi+12, dex+9, str+6, 18HP/tick regen, 4TP/tick regain
--- Spiritreaver Stats: int+21, mnd+18, vit+15, agi+12, dex+9, str+6, 9HP/tick regen, 7TP/tick regain
Did I actually expect SE to implement something this intricate? No. Did I expect SE to do better than what they're presenting now? Yes. By a good deal. The only real downfall with overdrive is that it affects the pet, and not the master, since the pet is the lesser focus for pup. If Overdrive affected the master, that **** would have been so nice...