Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Meriting Automaton Magic SkillFollow

#1 Jul 18 2012 at 12:29 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,961 posts
I mostly use my SS/SW/SR heads/frames these days, as I find the abilities to cure myself or nuke hard are very important. I read somewhere awhile ago that most pups dump merit points into Auto Magic Skill in order to gain access to new spells.

My question is, with the 99 cap, do we need all 5 points to gain all the spells possible? Do we need any points in magic? I started skilling up my ranged skill just recently while doing weapon trials, and remembered that I love my crossbow robot. Does anyone put merits into ranged skill?
____________________________
Current games:
FFXI: Yzerman on Bahamut server
DOTA2: rslogic
#3 Jul 18 2012 at 6:58 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,961 posts
Cool, thanks for the info.

I looked up Automaton Magic Skill just after posting this and determined that I would obviously get all the spells possible without any merits spent in that category, but I thought the extra magic skill would help the spells hit harder. If Auto Magic Skill only affects Accuracy, then I'm not sure I care.
____________________________
Current games:
FFXI: Yzerman on Bahamut server
DOTA2: rslogic
#4 Jul 19 2012 at 4:24 PM Rating: Good
Sage
***
2,869 posts
Yep, it's true that magic skill now only affects magic accuracy. Remember that's both sticking enfeebles AND getting less resists/more damage on nukes. But no need to have magic merits to get access to any spells, like we did at 75cap.

I personally haven't bothered to change my 5/5 melee 5/5 magic merits, because when I'm on PUP I'm nearly always using a mage puppet (if I'm coming to something as a physical DD I'm more often on MNK). But for those who use SS regularly, ranged is now worth it.
____________________________
Anza: Titan 2004-2011 / Capuchin: Phoenix 2011-???
#5 Jul 19 2012 at 5:35 PM Rating: Good
is Happy on Friday!
*****
12,443 posts
Zelduh wrote:
Nope, that was at 75 cap. We have all access to spells now at 99 without any magic skill merits. You should go 5/5 melee and 5/5 ranged, since the tiny bit of magic accuracy you get from magic skill merits isn't really worth it and it doesn't do anything else since it no longer unlocks new spells, while all frames can melee and thus benefit from extra skill, and the ranged skill both determines accuracy, attack, and base damage for the crossbow thingy for Sharpshot

Truth be told, Melee Skill probably affects all of the puppets' base melee damage the same way ranged skill does for sharpshot's ranged attacks, but it's so much more @#%^ing difficult to test that I can't say it with 100% certainty. (99.5% certainty, though, I can do.)

Roller wrote:
Cool, thanks for the info.

I looked up Automaton Magic Skill just after posting this and determined that I would obviously get all the spells possible without any merits spent in that category, but I thought the extra magic skill would help the spells hit harder. If Auto Magic Skill only affects Accuracy, then I'm not sure I care.


Wait... What? Why would magic skill have any impact on how hard a nuke hits, outside of accuracy? Did you think puppet magic works differently than player magic or something? Smiley: dubious

Anza wrote:
Yep, it's true that magic skill now only affects magic accuracy. Remember that's both sticking enfeebles AND getting less resists/more damage on nukes. But no need to have magic merits to get access to any spells, like we did at 75cap.

I personally haven't bothered to change my 5/5 melee 5/5 magic merits, because when I'm on PUP I'm nearly always using a mage puppet (if I'm coming to something as a physical DD I'm more often on MNK). But for those who use SS regularly, ranged is now worth it.

...Anza... magic skill has always only affected magic accuracy. Dark Magic, Blue Magic (which is all sorts of wonky to begin with, and practically a separate thing from every other form of magic) and Tier II/III(I think, I can't remember if that update was only for the ni wheel or was for both) elemental ninjutsu are the only exceptions to that rule, so in other word- wait, you meant that it no longer gives us extra spells. Nevermind. Sorry for not believing in you Smiley: inlove
____________________________
Theytak, Siren Server
LOLGAXE IS MY ETERNAL RIVAL!

Reiterpallasch wrote:
Glitterhands wrote:
Am I the only one who clicked on this thread expecting actual baby photos [of Jinte]? o.O

Except if it were baby photos, it would be like looking at before and afters of Michael Jackson. Only instead of turning into a white guy, he changes into a chick!
#6 Jul 19 2012 at 6:03 PM Rating: Good
Sage
***
2,869 posts
Lady Jinte wrote:
Anza wrote:
Yep, it's true that magic skill now only affects magic accuracy. Remember that's both sticking enfeebles AND getting less resists/more damage on nukes. But no need to have magic merits to get access to any spells, like we did at 75cap.

I personally haven't bothered to change my 5/5 melee 5/5 magic merits, because when I'm on PUP I'm nearly always using a mage puppet (if I'm coming to something as a physical DD I'm more often on MNK). But for those who use SS regularly, ranged is now worth it.


...Anza... magic skill has always only affected magic accuracy. Dark Magic, Blue Magic (which is all sorts of wonky to begin with, and practically a separate thing from every other form of magic) and Tier II/III(I think, I can't remember if that update was only for the ni wheel or was for both) elemental ninjutsu are the only exceptions to that rule, so in other word- wait, you meant that it no longer gives us extra spells. Nevermind. Sorry for not believing in you Smiley: inlove


Hahahaha. Yep, I see how you could misread my original wording, maybe I didn't write it as clearly as I could have. I do mean just what Jinte realized I was trying to get at: magic skill used to give PUP both (a) access to additional spells, and (b) more m.acc through skill. Whereas today, (a) is no longer the case so we are left with (b) only.

And to make sure nobody misinterprets my other maybe vague language of "less resists/more damage", I don't mean that magic skill increases damage from nukes just due to having skill. I mean that m.acc reduces the possibility of a mob resisting a nuke. The effect on damage is solely in the form of occasional weaker nukes when a resist kicks in.
____________________________
Anza: Titan 2004-2011 / Capuchin: Phoenix 2011-???
#8 Jul 20 2012 at 1:04 AM Rating: Good
Zelduh wrote:
Don't forget that elemental magic skill directly increases the damage of Meteor :P


Well yeah. But as PUP(and most BLM...) don't get access to Meteor, we can say that the above descriptions given were accurate in the constraints of this thread.
____________________________
[ffxisig]10000[/ffxisig]
----------------------------------
One of my server's brightest minds... wrote:
Not to make too extreme a comparison, but Rog is like Nelson Mandella...


Quite possibly the DUMBEST thing i've ever read.
#9 Jul 20 2012 at 10:57 AM Rating: Good
is Happy on Friday!
*****
12,443 posts
spiritreaverdiablos the Hand wrote:
Zelduh wrote:
Don't forget that elemental magic skill directly increases the damage of Meteor :P


Well yeah. But as PUP(and most BLM...) don't get access to Meteor, we can say that the above descriptions given were accurate in the constraints of this thread.

Especially given how long it's been since I played (reactivated a couple weeks ago), and how little I care about blm. I had no idea meteor worked that way Smiley: laugh
____________________________
Theytak, Siren Server
LOLGAXE IS MY ETERNAL RIVAL!

Reiterpallasch wrote:
Glitterhands wrote:
Am I the only one who clicked on this thread expecting actual baby photos [of Jinte]? o.O

Except if it were baby photos, it would be like looking at before and afters of Michael Jackson. Only instead of turning into a white guy, he changes into a chick!
#11 Jul 20 2012 at 3:41 PM Rating: Good
is Happy on Friday!
*****
12,443 posts
Zelduh wrote:
Lady Jinte wrote:
spiritreaverdiablos the Hand wrote:
Zelduh wrote:
Don't forget that elemental magic skill directly increases the damage of Meteor :P


Well yeah. But as PUP(and most BLM...) don't get access to Meteor, we can say that the above descriptions given were accurate in the constraints of this thread.

Especially given how long it's been since I played (reactivated a couple weeks ago), and how little I care about blm. I had no idea meteor worked that way Smiley: laugh


Perhaps you don't know as much as you think you do?

I'm very well aware of how much I do and do not know, which is why I'm able to freely admit when I do not know something. That doesn't mean that you've ever been right when you disagreed with me about anything related to pup, though, since as of yet, you haven't.
____________________________
Theytak, Siren Server
LOLGAXE IS MY ETERNAL RIVAL!

Reiterpallasch wrote:
Glitterhands wrote:
Am I the only one who clicked on this thread expecting actual baby photos [of Jinte]? o.O

Except if it were baby photos, it would be like looking at before and afters of Michael Jackson. Only instead of turning into a white guy, he changes into a chick!
#13 Jul 20 2012 at 5:38 PM Rating: Good
is Happy on Friday!
*****
12,443 posts
Zelduh wrote:
If you say so, Mr. Omniscience

It's Ms. you ass. How many times do I have to @#%^ing say this? Smiley: motz

Also, I'm working on a thread for you right now, just sit tight and let me finish dumbing this sh*t down for you, and when it's done, because you @#%^ing asked me to write it out, you better read every word of it.
____________________________
Theytak, Siren Server
LOLGAXE IS MY ETERNAL RIVAL!

Reiterpallasch wrote:
Glitterhands wrote:
Am I the only one who clicked on this thread expecting actual baby photos [of Jinte]? o.O

Except if it were baby photos, it would be like looking at before and afters of Michael Jackson. Only instead of turning into a white guy, he changes into a chick!
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 23 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (23)