Most of my salvage experience has been done while playing Rdm. I have Pup at 75 but have never taken it into Salvage.
So I have a few questions to you who have taken Pup into Salvage:
1. (Strange question first) When do you activate you puppet? Since you have no access to job abilities when you enter do you activate prior to entering, and does your puppet remain activated?
2. Which puppet do you guys use in salvage? Is there certain zones of floors / bosses that certain frames really shine on?
3. Any other tips that you have when playing Pup in Salvage that you would like to share?
When I'm not needed on WHM, (which is only when our SCH is MIA), I'm on PUP.
I'll start by answering your questions in order:
1. If you activate your automaton before the run, it is effectively deactivated when you enter, and your activate timer does not get reset.
2. Depending on the run, I usually start with Valoredge since my LS gives me Ranged (1st) and Ability (2nd) when we enter. I set up VE with Strobe and Inhibitor and I think TSII (I have to double check), Turbo Charger, Replicator, Coiler, Dynamo, and Heat Seeker, then both Auto-Repair Kits and whatever else fits. For Alzadaal Ruins, I either have Tsukushi tank a secondary mob while we fight the pulled mob, or just plow through mobs with SP -> Bone Crusher, which usually takes most of a mob's life per shot. For gears I use Sharpshot, and for bosses I usually DAD nuke with Spiritreaver OR use Soulsoother if we're low on healing and need some free Cure Vs, which works very well with Body Boosted monks.
3. Generally for the first two floors of Salvage VE can actually take hits (around 15-25dmg per hit), which is easily negated by auto repair kits and also deal decent damage. Cannibal Blade goes 800-900 damage to wamoura prince-type mobs. For Rampart mobs (bees, colibri) I use SS and it does great damage as well.
- For bosses I /DRG so I can run in and use Jumps between TP moves for TP for SC, and also haste/jumps for Ramparts.
- If you can, pick up Birdbanes for Wamoura and Rampart mobs that are weak to piercing, the damage is very noticeable with Coeurl Sub or Marinara Pizzas.
I'll have more details later, I'm at work so I can't look up the zone names and mobs just yet :/
Hope this helps so far, though
-SuperTiM-, Lakshmi Server
Maat: [O] January 08, 2006 @ Level 66SMN
Yinyang Robe: [O] May 22, 2006
Summoner's Set: 5/5 FINALLY > March 25, 2009
Jobs: SMN75, PUP75, WHM75