Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

Prioritizing Merits for a new 75Follow

#1 Apr 28 2009 at 8:30 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,447 posts
I'm 73 and hopefully 75 in the next week or two, but have been thinking about merits a bit recently. I know there are some varying schools of thought, but my biggest question is how to best prioritize what to get first vs. what is better off to get later.

Currently I have 3 sword merits and am willing to take this to 8 (4 at a minimum, but 8 probably).

For Tier 1, I'm thinking of QD Accuracy and QD Recast maxed for both. I'm going to get the ACP Armor with QD -5 and MAtt +4 as well.

For Tier 2, all 4 seem pretty useful. I think I like Snake Eye the best, so probably go 5 with that. Leaning towards 4 Fold and 1 Loaded Deck as well.

Any thoughts on what I'm looking to merit, and the bigger question, given what I'm looking at, what categories would take more priority over the others?

Thanks!

Edited, Apr 28th 2009 12:31pm by dawgdchi
____________________________
FFXIV - V'aala Ichi - Balmung (Co-Founder of mIsFiTs LS and FC)
FFXI - Vaala - Fairy -> Sylph - Co-Founder of mIsFiTs (Fairy) and member of Zombie (Sylph)
#2 Apr 28 2009 at 8:51 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,578 posts
I can't tell you what's "best" because that's very subjective, but I can tell you what I did. First I planned out my merits like you have. Mine are slightly different, but your choices are very common as well. I did:

5 Quickdraw accuracy
5 Quickdraw recast

1 Loaded Deck
5 Snake Eye
3 Winning Streak
1 Fold

Then I simply spent my points in the most efficient manner without any regard for what would be the most potent upgrades. In other words, I did all the 1 point upgrades, followed by all the two point upgrades, and so forth.

As for Winning Streak vs. Fold merits..I don't want to open that debate up again so let's just call it personal preference. I love having 6 minute buffs and I rarely need Fold, only when I double bust really, which is very rare with capped Snake Eye.
____________________________
Filian - Elvaan - Ifrit
Samurai
White Mage
Corsair
Ninja
Dancer
#3 Apr 28 2009 at 8:52 AM Rating: Good
Sage
*
101 posts
I would suggest getting Corsair specific merits before combat skills since that'll affect your entire party.

QD Recast/Accuracy are pretty much the de-facto standard for Corsair Group 1 Merits. Recast is probably something you'd want to take care of first, but it really doesn't get all that great until you can dump a lot of points in it all at once - at least until -6s recast.

For Group 2, it's a bit debatable. Maxing Snake Eye is pretty much a given as that will make the biggest difference in rolling, by far. 1 in Loaded Deck makes Random Deal significantly more potent since it guarantees at least one JA will be restored assuming more than one JA is waiting on recast. Now the debatable part is 4 Fold or 1 Fold + 3 Winning Streak. I'd suggest the former as it allows you to be more aggressive on rolls.

I would prioritize at least unlocking Snake Eye, Fold, and Loaded Deck first. Afterwards, max out Snake Eye. The rest of the order is up to you.
____________________________
Igneus - Seraph
75 COR/DNC/BLU/RDM
Inverse Maat's Cap jobs: 3/5
#4 Apr 28 2009 at 9:02 AM Rating: Good
**
358 posts
OK my Smiley: twocents

Tier One
  • 5 - Quick Draw Recast
  • 5 - Quick Draw Accuracy

Tier Two
  • 1 - Loaded Deck
  • 5 - Snake Eye
  • The rest are up to you
I recommend either: 3 - winning Streak 1 - Fold or 4 - Fold depending on your play style.

____________________________
Athrin
Siren Server
90COR 90RNG 90THF 90BRD 90DNC 90RDM
Arrrghmageddon Stage 2 COMPLETE!
#5 Apr 28 2009 at 9:45 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,447 posts
Thanks guys, I think that pretty much backs up what I'm thinking for merits and gave me some good ideas on priority.

The reason I came with 4 Fold was due to this line in Callisto's Guide that really hit the difference between 4F or 1F&3WS
Quote:
Typically it's a matter of 3 Winning Streak 1 Fold vs. 4 Fold 0 Streak. Having an extra minute in between rolling will in fact raise your damage output, sometimes substantially, especially when you are rotating in backline rolls that require you to peel off of the target and run back to the mages. However, the extra aggressiveness that Fold allows will raise the average value of the buffs you place on your party members, helping the entire group's output, not just yours.

I'm obviously into support role jobs, and while I enjoy putting up the Powa Slugs on things, my first concern is making sure the group is as strong as possible, not just myself. This part's a personal call to make, though.

If I had to pick, I'd pick more party support vs. personal DD. I like the idea of being able to be a bit more aggressive and land those higher rolls, more double ups on 7s and maybe even 8s if Fold is up and SE isn't.
Quote:
I would prioritize at least unlocking Snake Eye, Fold, and Loaded Deck first. Afterwards, max out Snake Eye. The rest of the order is up to you.

Open to other suggestions, but I do like this approach.
____________________________
FFXIV - V'aala Ichi - Balmung (Co-Founder of mIsFiTs LS and FC)
FFXI - Vaala - Fairy -> Sylph - Co-Founder of mIsFiTs (Fairy) and member of Zombie (Sylph)
#6 Apr 28 2009 at 10:00 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,578 posts
Quote:
If I had to pick, I'd pick more party support vs. personal DD. I like the idea of being able to be a bit more aggressive and land those higher rolls, more double ups on 7s and maybe even 8s if Fold is up and SE isn't.


Having 6 minute rolls to me has nothing to do with _personal_ DD. It's about keeping the buffs on everyone else 100%. I honestly very rarely need Fold and I would definitely call myself an "aggresive" roller. I think some people are just afraid of having one bust on them.

Edit: I said I didn't want to argue and I meant it. >_< I just feel the need to offer my experiences.

Edited, Apr 28th 2009 11:02am by Filian
____________________________
Filian - Elvaan - Ifrit
Samurai
White Mage
Corsair
Ninja
Dancer
#7 Apr 28 2009 at 10:18 AM Rating: Good
Sage
***
2,869 posts
Another question... what priority would you give to Marksmanship merits?

Let's suppose someone goes with this not terribly uncommon setup:
5/5 Snake Eye
4/5 Fold
1/5 Loaded Deck
5/5 QD Timer
5/5 QD Accuracy
8/8 Marksmanship

Besides the question on WHICH merits, which order would you do them? I've fairly recently started meriting my COR and unlocked Snake Eye and Fold, Loaded Deck coming next. Wondering where to go from there though. I merit kinda slowly, so I'm not going to just get them all in a couple weeks and call it a day. I don't have a ton of time to dedicate in huge chunks for exp/merits between RL and FFXI events.

And I intentionally left Sword/Dagger off. I have 8/8 H2H for PUP and MNK that's not going anywhere, and I'm planning to take my RNG from 37-75 some time so I want 8/8 Marks since I'll use it on two jobs. I may put the remaining 4 in Sword... but at any rate I'll wait on that until I actually get a Charby pop and have friends to help take the beast down.
____________________________
Anza: Titan 2004-2011 / Capuchin: Phoenix 2011-???
#8 Apr 28 2009 at 10:22 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
938 posts
Priority IMO:

Quickdraw recast -> 3
Snake eye -> 1
Fold -> 1
Winning streak -> 1

After you get those, start finishing off recast, then get snake eye maxed followed by winning streak. Then of course after those, finish off quickdraw accuracy.

Reason you don't max them at once is so that you can use less merit points to get faster upgrades. Also reason I chose winning streak over fold is because I enjoy having my extra long XI streaks.


#9 Apr 28 2009 at 10:31 AM Rating: Good
**
358 posts
Filian wrote:
Quote:
If I had to pick, I'd pick more party support vs. personal DD. I like the idea of being able to be a bit more aggressive and land those higher rolls, more double ups on 7s and maybe even 8s if Fold is up and SE isn't.


Having 6 minute rolls to me has nothing to do with _personal_ DD. It's about keeping the buffs on everyone else 100%. I honestly very rarely need Fold and I would definitely call myself an "aggresive" roller. I think some people are just afraid of having one bust on them.

Edit: I said I didn't want to argue and I meant it. >_< I just feel the need to offer my experiences.

Edited, Apr 28th 2009 11:02am by Filian
I pretty much have to agree here. The extra minute for me was the way to go. Its always in effect, where as fold is only used as needed. But again, it's a matter of personal preferance

~Ath
____________________________
Athrin
Siren Server
90COR 90RNG 90THF 90BRD 90DNC 90RDM
Arrrghmageddon Stage 2 COMPLETE!
#10 Apr 28 2009 at 10:50 AM Rating: Good
Sage
*
101 posts
I should add, that I actually went 3 Winning Streak + 1 Fold, as I tend to not need Fold as much - but I don't ever double-up on 7 unless it's an unlucky.

I used to pull a lot in merits before, and that used to be my rationalization for 3 WS. However, now that I do merits with a friend as a Bard, I'm almost never pulling. I guess the argument can be made that if you need to Fold, then you're denying your party buffs for about a minute (assuming you either VI+VI, or land an unlucky number and wait until 0:40 to double-up), but meh. I've been considering dropping WS for Fold, but most of the times I end up not needing to Fold very often.

Regarding Combat Skill merits, it really does depend mostly on whether or not you have other jobs that can use those merits better. If Corsair is your only job, then 8 Sword/Dagger + 8 Marksmanship makes sense. Combat skill merits should still take less of a priority than any of your job specifics though.
____________________________
Igneus - Seraph
75 COR/DNC/BLU/RDM
Inverse Maat's Cap jobs: 3/5
#11 Apr 28 2009 at 11:44 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,447 posts
Great points guys. Especially about Winning Streak. Thanks guys!
____________________________
FFXIV - V'aala Ichi - Balmung (Co-Founder of mIsFiTs LS and FC)
FFXI - Vaala - Fairy -> Sylph - Co-Founder of mIsFiTs (Fairy) and member of Zombie (Sylph)
#12 Apr 28 2009 at 12:15 PM Rating: Good
****
7,094 posts
For pure buff potency, Fold beats Winning Streak handily. Winning Streak can only increase your net buff output if one of the following two statements are true:

a) all the rolls you have active landed on above-average results, or
b) you are only on a 2-roll rotation

In contrast, Fold allows you to roll more aggressively for better results. (And you can't really make the argument that you "roll just as aggressively" with 1 merit in Fold; you simply cannot have Fold available often for that to be true.) That being said, I went with Winning Streak x3 and Fold x1, just because I'm lazy and I don't want to have to roll as often.

As for cat1 merits, I went QD recast x5 and Phantom Roll recast x5. I don't personally believe that QD accuracy is worth giving up shorter recasts on PR.
____________________________
Terraxia - RNG/COR/THF - Midgardsormr/Quetzalcoatl (boxed)
Viper Beam - ARC/CRP - Fabul
#13 Apr 28 2009 at 12:34 PM Rating: Decent
****
7,899 posts
If winning streak is more useful than fold, it's because you don't roll aggressively enough. Better to have a minute with no roll than have 4+ minutes with an unlucky roll.

Anyway, get first 1-2 tiers of everything you plan on finishing, then cap combat merits, then max snake eye. Rest can follow in any order. Snake eye is god.
#14 Apr 28 2009 at 12:54 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,230 posts
I am definitely going 5/5 in QD Acc/Recast, as well as Snake Eye. After that, I believe it does come down to preference.

I am planning on 3 Fold and 2 Loaded Deck, because the extra roll time would be annoying to me if I wanted to replace a roll, and I like the extra chance at resetting timers.

The 10 min Fold timer would allow me to be even more aggressive with rolls. I've found that 15 minutes from my 1 merit is just too much for my taste. I might keep LD at 1 and put the extra into Fold, because I often times find myself needing to fold around 7-8 minutes into the timer.

Have fun meriting!


EDIT: Forgot Combat skills. COR was not my first 75; SAM then NIN (and I only finished NIN to get a few marksmanship merits for COR & THF ahead of time). I merited Dagger also (+4; 8 skill), and it is capped on COR. I usually don't have any accuracy issues until I Slug :)

Edited, Apr 28th 2009 4:19pm by heavensword
____________________________
*** Jesus loves you ***

PSN ID: hvnswrd
#15 Apr 28 2009 at 3:43 PM Rating: Default
****
5,159 posts
RVW wrote:
Winning Streak can only increase your net buff output if one of the following two statements are true:

a) all the rolls you have active landed on above-average results, or
b) you are only on a 2-roll rotation

Well, given you're most often on a 3 roll rotation at 75.. And probably on a 2 roll rotation more often than 4 as well.. It's not like the scenarios you described are rare. And really, it does have more of an effect than just those two - many, many subtle ways it helps you increase overall buff contribution that some like to write-off as 'useless.' How one considers any enhancement to our buffs useless, I don't know. I guess to some if it's not an 'in your face' obvious boon, it shouldn't be considered.

Kerb wrote:
If winning streak is more useful than fold, it's because you don't roll aggressively enough. Better to have a minute with no roll than have 4+ minutes with an unlucky roll.

Oversimplifying it imo. The reality of it is, in my mind, that luck will determine which is the better merit - who knew, playing this job? At a given event or day, which merit is better is situational, and the values always in flux. Generally the better your luck is, the better Winning Streak merits are, and the worse your luck is, the better Fold merits are in relation.

I just dislike the 4/5 Fold or GTFO mentality of some.. I mean, especially with Commodore Frac now, who's to say 5/5 Fold isn't superior to 4/5? Then are all these 4/5 Fold people wrong, even by their own reasoning?

Get full Snake Eye and at least one in Fold, and after that do what you think is best for the way you play. I know and respect some that have gone with 0 Winning Streak merits, 1, or 3. The concrete data of that decision is not what's important, it's what you're doing with it.
____________________________
Corsair75
Pandemonium Asura...

ffxiah
#16 Apr 28 2009 at 4:12 PM Rating: Excellent
****
7,094 posts
Carrilei wrote:
And really, it does have more of an effect than just those two - many, many subtle ways it helps you increase overall buff contribution that some like to write-off as 'useless.' How one considers any enhancement to our buffs useless, I don't know. I guess to some if it's not an 'in your face' obvious boon, it shouldn't be considered.

Oh, it has a benefit: it allows you to (ostensibly) spend more time DDing, because you aren't rerolling as often. But that's not increasing your buff potency.

Quote:
Generally the better your luck is, the better Winning Streak merits are, and the worse your luck is, the better Fold merits are in relation.

This isn't a very useful statement, as it is rather ridiculous (or impossible, even) to base your merit choices on what kind of luck you plan to have.

Quote:
I just dislike the 4/5 Fold or GTFO mentality of some.. I mean, especially with Commodore Frac now, who's to say 5/5 Fold isn't superior to 4/5?

Loaded Deck and relic body have just as little to do with each other as do Snake Eye and relic hat.

Loaded Deck increases the accuracy of Random Deal.
Relic body increases the potential reward.

Saying that relic body is potentially a replacement for Loaded Deck is like saying that Barrage is potentially a replacement for Sharpshot. They complement each other.

Furthermore, it's also kind of silly to imply that I'm saying "4/5 Fold or GTFO" in response to a post where I state that I have 3 merits in Winning Streak.

Quote:
Get full Snake Eye and at least one in Fold, and after that do what you think is best for the way you play. I know and respect some that have gone with 0 Winning Streak merits, 1, or 3. The concrete data of that decision is not what's important, it's what you're doing with it.

If the concrete data isn't important, why even bother discussing it? Everyone should just do what they feel like.
____________________________
Terraxia - RNG/COR/THF - Midgardsormr/Quetzalcoatl (boxed)
Viper Beam - ARC/CRP - Fabul
#17 Apr 28 2009 at 4:20 PM Rating: Good
****
5,159 posts
If you really cannot think of any other instance where having longer roll duration is in any way helpful (to your buff contributions), I do have to question the entirety of the thought given to the subject.

One hint: It's not always about buff potency (though Winning Streak does help there in more ways than you give it credit for), it can be about whether or not a buff is active at all.

RVW wrote:
Furthermore, it's also kind of silly to imply that I'm saying "4/5 Fold or GTFO" in response to a post where I state that I have 3 merits in Winning Streak.

Wasn't directed at you, or even so much Kerb for that matter. Or anyone in this thread really. Sorry for any confusion.

RVW wrote:
If the concrete data isn't important, why even bother discussing it? Everyone should just do what they feel like.

There's a difference between a debate where both sides have legitimate rationale as to their validity, and a comparison where it's entirely one-sided. If you want a comparison even sticking within our Cat 2 merits, you need not look past Snake Eye. Imo, if you don't max that out, it's a mistake. There is simply too much in favor for it, over the other choices. Fold vs. Winning Streak is not like that.

To make a SAT reference, the Fold and Winning Streak decision is much more comparable to PR recast and QD Acc than it is Snake Eye vs. any other merit. And mentally I've had enough of this debate over time; I'll continue to re-evaluate my opinions as always, and listen to others, but I'm sick of this lol.


RVW wrote:
Loaded Deck increases the accuracy of Random Deal.
Relic body increases the potential reward.

>> Also by the way, I believe you're off on what Commodore Frac does. In addition to the small chance to reset 2 JA's at once, it also increases the chance to reset one JA, which is similar to a Loaded Deck merit. Now, I don't think the % increase is as high (it may be, I'm unsure), and it will not guarantee one to be reset if 2 more more are waiting on recast, but the point is... With Commodore Frac in hand, I think the 5/5 Fold argument got a little stronger (perhaps not much, but I think it's worthy to at least note). I think 4/5 Fold vs 5/5 Fold is also a difficult decision.

Edited, Apr 28th 2009 9:18pm by Carrilei
____________________________
Corsair75
Pandemonium Asura...

ffxiah
#18 Apr 28 2009 at 5:30 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
3,917 posts
Personally went 5/5 QD recast/acc
5 Snake eye
3 Fold
1 LD
1 WS

My rationale: I use fold a fair bit. Not infrequently I'll hit an 8 on Chaos after using Snake eye to get off a 9 on evokers. Boom, DU and bust and RD to re-roll and hope for better luck. Happens more than I care to acknowledge.

So why not 4 Fold. Well simply put, I don't want to get too far ahead of my RD timer. Nothing like folding and having to wait 15-30 sec to re-roll.

And second is, I wanted 1 in WS to give some extra wiggle room. In a 4 roll rotation, if you are rolling right on the minute timers, you get a min of bonus time in case crap happens to keep on top of things. A merit in WS increases that to 1:20 which seems just about right for me in most "oh, crap" situations. I don't care about extending my DD time. just want to some room to play with so buffs are always up.

Other key merits: Marksmanship, Sword (joyeuse bearers)/Dagger (M. Kris wielders), STR, Crit +, MP - probably in that order
____________________________
Mirabelle
Race: Mithra
Server: Ifrit
75COR/75RDM/75RNG/45THF/37BLM/38WHM/37NIN/37DRK/41BLU/37DNC/37SAM/37WAR/37SCH
#19 Apr 28 2009 at 9:53 PM Rating: Decent
****
7,094 posts
Carrilei wrote:
If you really cannot think of any other instance where having longer roll duration is in any way helpful (to your buff contributions), I do have to question the entirety of the thought given to the subject.

One hint: It's not always about buff potency (though Winning Streak does help there in more ways than you give it credit for), it can be about whether or not a buff is active at all.

Oh, I considered it. But given that the only situation in which this really happens is when a COR is being swapped among parties, and that such a circumstance is not particularly high on COR's priority list, I can't really justify choosing one's merits to account for it.

It also bears mentioning that any situation in which WS would apply in this manner is also one where PR recast would increase your buff output, in almost exactly the same fashion.

Quote:
There's a difference between a debate where both sides have legitimate rationale as to their validity, and a comparison where it's entirely one-sided. If you want a comparison even sticking within our Cat 2 merits, you need not look past Snake Eye. Imo, if you don't max that out, it's a mistake. There is simply too much in favor for it, over the other choices. Fold vs. Winning Streak is not like that.

To make a SAT reference, the Fold and Winning Streak decision is much more comparable to PR recast and QD Acc than it is Snake Eye vs. any other merit.

I think this speaks to my point.

PR recast affects your initial roll lag, and ability to quickly get a buff back up after a bust or fold. It, therefore, improves your buffing ability.

QD accuracy increases your QD damage*. However, no one would claim that it improves your buffing ability; it does something different.

Similarly, Fold improves your buffing ability, while WS increases your time available for DDing. That's not to say that DDing is unimportant, but for the Corsair that values his buffing ability over other concerns, Fold is the superior choice.

Quote:
>> Also by the way, I believe you're off on what Commodore Frac does. In addition to the small chance to reset 2 JA's at once, it also increases the chance to reset one JA, which is similar to a Loaded Deck merit.

Source?

In any case, even if this were true, it would only apply to Loaded Deck merits beyond the first. The first Loaded Deck merit is a drastic improvement over 0 LD merits; relic body is not even a remotely viable substitute.

*Strictly speaking, QD accuracy also improves sleep/dispel, but it's usually not relevant; on the stuff you can land Light/Dark shot on, you don't need QDacc merits, and on the stuff that you can't, QDacc merits won't help.

Edited, Apr 28th 2009 11:04pm by redvenomweb
____________________________
Terraxia - RNG/COR/THF - Midgardsormr/Quetzalcoatl (boxed)
Viper Beam - ARC/CRP - Fabul
#20 Apr 28 2009 at 10:11 PM Rating: Excellent
****
5,159 posts
Like I said, this is such a dead horse to me, I don't wish to continue debating - I'll at least reiterate what some have mentioned in this thread - that Winning Streak is not primarily a COR DD merit, but a COR roll enhancement merit, for the other party members. The fact that it improves COR damage is a secondary bonus. Rolling less often has many benefits, not nearly all that I can list at 2am when I'm feeling crappy - you get better use of Snake Eye/Random Deal, you can stay out of harm's way while keeping rolls up with better success, etc.. ****, rolling less often means less Busts, which treads in a slight way on the ground Fold has there.

RVW wrote:
Source?

In any case, even if this were true, it would only apply to Loaded Deck merits beyond the first. The first Loaded Deck merit is a drastic improvement over 0 LD merits; relic body is not even a remotely viable substitute.

Check the wiki.. Personally, while farming I've reset Flee what seems like a little more often (~50%), but the sample size isn't near enough. It could very well be acting like a 2nd Loaded Deck merit though, reducing the chance of failure by 10%.

We all know the first Loaded Deck merit is a very large improvement - however, I don't see how you can already conclude that the Commodore Frac enhancement isn't a similar boost given you didn't even know it existed a moment ago..

What you'd need to do is nix the 1 Loaded Deck merit, and test Random Deal with just the Commodore Frac on. Until that's done, I don't see how you can jump to such conclusions.

Edited, Apr 29th 2009 2:21am by Carrilei
____________________________
Corsair75
Pandemonium Asura...

ffxiah
#21 Apr 29 2009 at 12:43 AM Rating: Decent
****
7,094 posts
Carrilei wrote:
Check the wiki.. Personally, while farming I've reset Flee what seems like a little more often (~50%), but the sample size isn't near enough. It could very well be acting like a 2nd Loaded Deck merit though, reducing the chance of failure by 10%.

Um, there is no cited data on the wiki... someone just edited the page and added that. I've never seen any tests on any FFXI forum that support such a conclusion, and given the nature of RD, there would have to be a LARGE amount of tests in order to show that this bonus actually exists. Furthermore, given that we already know for a fact what the Comm. Frac definitely does do (chance for two resets), the chances of it also having another bonus (which just so happens to be extremely difficult to prove) is unlikely.

It's like claiming that RNG AF+1 hands (which tests have show to add a shot to Barrage) also increase accuracy on Barrage: it's so incredibly difficult to prove (or disprove) that the person making the claim needs to show their work. "It seems like I get JAs back more" is not a test; it's superstition. It's facing west on Windsday for better drops.

Quote:
We all know the first Loaded Deck merit is a very large improvement - however, I don't see how you can already conclude that the Commodore Frac enhancement isn't a similar boost given you didn't even know it existed a moment ago..

What you'd need to do is nix the 1 Loaded Deck merit, and test Random Deal with just the Commodore Frac on. Until that's done, I don't see how you can jump to such conclusions.

Given that we don't even know what the base formula for RD resetting one JA is, much less the actual enhancement from the first LD merit, I don't see how you can judge Comm. Frac's supposed RD accuracy increase.

But more to the point, no one merits LD for the increase in RD accuracy when randomly restoring a single JA. If this was the only thing LD did, it would be among the most useless cat2 merits in the game. There is exactly one reason to put 1, and only 1, merit in Loaded Deck: guaranteed JA reset when more than one JA is down.

And given that no matter how "accurate" RD is, I still can't directly pick which JA is reset, any accuracy bonus (supposing it even exists) on Comm. Frac is almost entirely irrelevant. LD makes RD 100% accurate when more than one JA is down. Unless Comm. Frac also makes RD 100% accurate (which it doesn't), then it is ineligible as a substitute for LD. Full stop.

Edited, Apr 29th 2009 1:46am by redvenomweb
____________________________
Terraxia - RNG/COR/THF - Midgardsormr/Quetzalcoatl (boxed)
Viper Beam - ARC/CRP - Fabul
#22 Apr 29 2009 at 5:03 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,991 posts
Anyone else bored?
____________________________
Mep!
#23 Apr 29 2009 at 5:34 PM Rating: Good
**
358 posts
MrVashy wrote:
Anyone else bored?

Smiley: snore
____________________________
Athrin
Siren Server
90COR 90RNG 90THF 90BRD 90DNC 90RDM
Arrrghmageddon Stage 2 COMPLETE!
#24 Apr 29 2009 at 10:03 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
299 posts
Heh, haven't seen a good fight err "debate" in a while but my 2 cents.

Winnign streak doesn't improve your buffs? WHAAAAAT? Ok, you roll a chaos 11 for 5 minutes. I roll a chaos 11 for 6 minutes. Seems pretty obvious to me that 6 minutes of the strong roll is better than 5. Alternately, if you roll poorly 6 mins of a bad roll is worse than 5 mins BUT you have the CHOICE to simply begin your next cycle earlier if you want to (and that's assuming snake eye, fold and random deal aren't enough to fix the bad roll). You'd have to mess up pretty badly to have that happen but it can occasionally.

Another argument I'd make against 4 in fold is this: Sure you can fold every 7 1/2 minutes or whatever.... but you can still only random deal with 20 minutes. Guess I'm not a huge fan of fold without random deal immediately after.

The other plus with 6 minute rolls is you can make yourself more effective based on your sub while keeping rolls up on others 24/7. If I'm /dd in an event, 4-roll set.. evokers to sch to chaos to fighters and I can keep chaos on me for 4 minutes instead of 3. If /mage, chaos, fighters, evokers, sch and I can keep evokers and sch on myself for 4 minutes. If it's a 3-roll setup, the benefit is even greater. Let's assume merits, /dd, evokers to chaos to COR. I can keep chaos on myself for 5 minutes. And like someone else previously mentioned, the less you have to roll, the less you're going to bust. Honestly I haven't rolled so badly that I've wanted more fold merits. I'll always roll on a 6 (cept evokers) and roll on an unlucky 7. I'll snake eye off unlucky 8s or 9s. Occasionally I'll get an unlucky with snake eye down but that's what fold and rdeal are for. You'd need 3 unluckys in one cycle to get yourself in a bad situation (snake eye the first, fold the second, leaving no options for the third) and more fold merits aren't going to help you there.


Honestly, imo, if you're busting enough to need 4 fold merits, ur doingitwrong. You'd ave to get really unlucky or roll like an idiot to bust that often.



Edited, Apr 30th 2009 2:10am by TDGSW
#25 Apr 29 2009 at 10:57 PM Rating: Decent
****
5,159 posts
Admiral Viska wrote:
MrVashy wrote:
Anyone else bored?

Smiley: snore

Someone shoot something..

Hrm.. This!

Screenshot
____________________________
Corsair75
Pandemonium Asura...

ffxiah
#26 Apr 30 2009 at 8:03 AM Rating: Decent
****
7,094 posts
TDGSW wrote:
Winnign streak doesn't improve your buffs? WHAAAAAT? Ok, you roll a chaos 11 for 5 minutes. I roll a chaos 11 for 6 minutes. Seems pretty obvious to me that 6 minutes of the strong roll is better than 5.

...except that you have to replace your XI Chaos well before the 6 minute mark anyway, since you have other rolls to rotate.

Quote:
Another argument I'd make against 4 in fold is this: Sure you can fold every 7 1/2 minutes or whatever.... but you can still only random deal with 20 minutes. Guess I'm not a huge fan of fold without random deal immediately after.

In aggressive situations, roll your last double-up ~5sec before the Double-Up window expires. You won't need to use RD when Phantom Roll will be back up anyway in 5-15 seconds.

Quote:
And like someone else previously mentioned, the less you have to roll, the less you're going to bust.

And likewise, the less you roll, the less you are going to hit Lucky or XI.

Probabilities work both ways.
____________________________
Terraxia - RNG/COR/THF - Midgardsormr/Quetzalcoatl (boxed)
Viper Beam - ARC/CRP - Fabul
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 1 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (1)