If you cant afford dice how can you possibly afford bullets and cards and decent gear upgrades along the way?
I can sympathize with the mid-50s crunch, and I don't think it's crazy to believe a COR can have money issues at those levels and still perform admirably. That is, IF the COR made a lot of these purchases.
So yeah, I would agree with LordTrey that if you don't have and can't afford similar stuff to the below, it's definitely time to stop and farm. But I completely understand putting off, say, Drachen Roll because you just spent a bundle to get your 50-something COR up to date gear-wise.
In the 50-60ish range, there's a ton of stuff to buy. It's COR's version of the 40MNK wall. But the good thing is, the gear lasts for quite a while and is more or less the last gil-intensive gear upgrade time in the game. Stuff I bought around then:
* The considerably more expensive dice for the 50+ levels
* The 3 AF pieces that require turning in materials
* Lv55 Jaridah gear for the slots where AF is LOL
* A bunch of Iron bullets to last me for many levels (couple stacks of pouches)
* Lv55 R.Acc rings (cheap, but still a cost)
* A Vision Earring
* A few elemental staves - Light, Fire are the most notable
* I farmed a Thunderer's Mantle (not possible for someone with 50s COR as their only job though)
* Amemet Mantle +1 (61, but close) - you can get by on the NQ for a while, but it's DEFINITELY a priority to upgrade to the +1
* A Trailer's Kukri (61, but close)
* I just stuck with a Gun Belt (and my Mithra RSE belt if I was forced to go something besides /RNG), but a lot of people get a Precise Belt around this range
That's a pretty big hit that all comes at you around the mid-50s. But you know what... that lasts you for a damn long stretch. You'll really only be buying ammo, cards, and food from there for a damn long time.
You'll go until 70+ without a lot of significant changes at all, and the vast majority of the 70+ stuff you'll use is R/E anyway and requires time instead of gil. Joyeuse, Crimson/Blood gloves (or what I use for /ra, Barbarossa's Moufles), Pahluwan gear, relic and AF+1, Nyzul gear, melee stuff like Cobra or Enkidu's, R/E earrings like Hollow or Brutal (I earned my own coins, though I guess many do buy them), Bucc. Belt, maybe a Faith Torque.
Upgrading Salvage gear is a different case - you have to pay a bundle to get the R/E stuff, but then again it's super high end gear that certainly isn't expected.
The only major required purchases after that 50s killer stretch that I can think of off the top of my head are endgame guns - Martial and Peacemaker cost a bit. Or if you buy a Hakutaku Cluster to get your O.Hat. Other than that, your Lv.70+ COR purchases are largely luxury items or stuff that's optimizing builds that are already at least solid (say, upgrading a Behemoth's Ring NQ to +1). And ammo. Lots and lots of ammo. Edited, Apr 29th 2009 2:22pm by Anza