Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Traits needs a revampFollow

#1 Jul 22 2011 at 2:32 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
186 posts
I been trying for the longest time to stay quiet about Blue Magic Points, but with the upcoming update looming over us. I can't be quiet anymore...

S.E. please make "Blue Magic Points" affects traits only, and let us have our magic PLEASE.

They're simply too many good spells we have to try to fit in a few more. There's not enough points,(I know with the level break there will be more points, but the ten extra points still isn't enough) the main reason we use a few of the spells in our inventory is for the sake of a trait. Not ever really using the spell in the to actually cast on mobs.

So, why can't it be the points we use on certain, "Blue Mage Spells" activate the traits only and we have open access to ALL of our spells?

I don't see it being too powerful! Half the time in Abyssea - you're there pop-in yellow !!. After that your stuck with 2~4 tops for dding/buffing/de-buffing/curing afterwards. Then to cool-down timer again because:

A)You forgot a yellow proc. spell
B)A buff or de-buff
C)A DD spells - to help out the situation. I'm all for balance but this is crazy.
____________________________
BLU90—PLD90—DRK90—RNG90—SMN90—COR90—BRD90—NIN90—SCH90—PUP55
Shiva Server—Tarutaru—Windurst <(^.^)>
#2 Jul 22 2011 at 6:13 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,209 posts
+1

I hate I can't set any other spells in Abyssea due to being a BLU yellow proc machine.

There's Dream Flower that could be useful, but I'm at limit due to 13~15 set points requirement on 3 yellow proc spells.

etc (too lazy to think of other things, but the problems exist)
____________________________
Princess ThePsychoticOne wrote:
int stands for int.

#3 Jul 22 2011 at 6:25 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
45 posts
I'll +1 that too.

Although I suspect SE's reasoning behind it has something to do with "overflowing power" or "bursting with so much power we turn into Soulflayers".

I don't see the other mages 'exploding with power' ... give us BLUs our full list! :)
____________________________
~Archtype~
90DNC 90BLU 90COR 90BLM 50RDM 46NIN 45SAM 45BRD 32THF 27RNG 15WAR 15MNK
Server: Asura
Linkshell: Kirinthedestroyers

*~Pirate Booty & Mithra of Chance~*
#4 Jul 22 2011 at 7:56 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,707 posts
Just from an outsider's perspective, I'm sure they are concerned with making any one job too strong. As it stands I see BLU fighting multiple IT mobs at a time in Abyssea. They can already hang out nearly infinately in Abyssea due to the uniqueness of being able to cap Pearl and Azure pretty efficiently. I'm nto complaining, but rather pointing out that SE is likely wanting to keep BLU in check here.

I think the bigger problem is how the staggering system works. They made it a very important aspect of Abyssea yet limited the ability to efficiently proc to a narrow range of jobs. Why they don't learn lessons is beyond me. Quit putting **** in the game that makes specific jobs virtually required. Every single job in the game should have the ability to do any stagger. Would this really be a game breaker?

Trust me, there are no BLMs that are thankful for the addition of yellow staggers to the game. I would much rhater someone tell me that don't need my BLM than tell me to come on BLM so I can "proc yellow".
#5 Jul 22 2011 at 8:38 AM Rating: Good
Sage
***
3,636 posts
Mithsavvy wrote:
Trust me, there are no BLMs that are thankful for the addition of yellow staggers to the game. I would much rhater someone tell me that don't need my BLM than tell me to come on BLM so I can "proc yellow".

Um, I am. I like that yellow procs give me an excuse to go BLM. I actually, God forbid, enjoy playing BLM.
____________________________
http://ereblog.livejournal.com/
Erecia and Ereblog are BACK, baby!
#6 Jul 22 2011 at 9:07 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,707 posts
Erecia wrote:
Mithsavvy wrote:
Trust me, there are no BLMs that are thankful for the addition of yellow staggers to the game. I would much rhater someone tell me that don't need my BLM than tell me to come on BLM so I can "proc yellow".

Um, I am. I like that yellow procs give me an excuse to go BLM. I actually, God forbid, enjoy playing BLM.


If you enjoy standing around to proc yellow, that's your opinion and I'm glad we have some BLMs that do enjoy it.

However, I don't. My definition of "playing black mage" was formulated nearly a decade ago... and "procing yellow" ain't it. I'm biased I guess.

EDIT: Default rating? I guess I deserve it for being somewhat of a smartass. My point was really that the whole stagger system isn't good. It takes away more than it adds to the game. It's yet another implementation that makes certain jobs valuable and other jobs an after thought. I understand what you are saying about BLU spells, but your specific issue goes away if they adjust the stagger system. I'm not sying they should not improve BLU - but why not fix the stagger system as well?





Edited, Jul 22nd 2011 3:08pm by Mithsavvy
#7 Jul 22 2011 at 9:49 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,720 posts
Mithsavvy wrote:
Erecia wrote:
Mithsavvy wrote:
Trust me, there are no BLMs that are thankful for the addition of yellow staggers to the game. I would much rhater someone tell me that don't need my BLM than tell me to come on BLM so I can "proc yellow".

Um, I am. I like that yellow procs give me an excuse to go BLM. I actually, God forbid, enjoy playing BLM.


If you enjoy standing around to proc yellow, that's your opinion and I'm glad we have some BLMs that do enjoy it.

However, I don't. My definition of "playing black mage" was formulated nearly a decade ago... and "procing yellow" ain't it. I'm biased I guess.

Regardless of if you come to "proc yellow" or not, though, you still get access to your FULL line up of spells. Having to wait to Unleash **** on the unsuspecting NM until after the procs are done goes for everyone fighting it, not just you. You at least get an "On" switch with no waiting.

If we come to "proc yellow", we either set all 8 spells (or some subset for how long we're going to be in there), wait until we hear the element and switch to it (with the corresponding 1 minute of down time waiting for spells to come online again), or we forgo switching around for the the spell and possibly missing yellow proc.

I don't know if they should necessarily give us access to everything completely out the door. Having our full allotment of magical spells, for instance, gives us a little too much. They do have a few options, though, that would give us more flexibility but also stop us from having full access to everything:

1) They could adjust recast and cast timers of spells not set. Doubling both of those would give a deterrent to wanting to use them when not set, particularly the DD. However, while being the easiest option, it still gives a lot more power to us.

2) They could decrease the potency of spells not set. If they ran off Blue Magic skill/2, for instance, that might adjust them a little bit and make them a bit harder to want to use. By decreasing the potency, we'll be harder pressed to want to use a spell, but the circumstances might make it nice. The upside, in particular here, is not having to set yellow procs. The downside is that they'd be much easier to resist, forcing BLU's to use M. Acc. gear to get them to land unless we're willing to set them.

3) They could remove or downgrade "additional effects" lines from spells not set. This is my least favorite option and doesn't even affect all spells, which means it's really the weakest option, as well.

In any case, only spells set with points would count towards job traits, as mentioned above.

The fluff also seems a little... draining. I guess I'll have to wait and see how powerful Meteor and Comet are, since in many FF's, those drain power from the person casting the spell and, theoretically, could (and in one case, did) kill the person casting it. If BLMs receive no drawback to these spells (short of casting time/mp cost), then, yeah, I'd say SE should at least consider giving us a new merit category at 99 that would allow us to use non-set spells, if not a job ability to do so.
____________________________
Leviathan - PLD90, BLU90, MNK 90, DRG 78
#8 Jul 22 2011 at 12:16 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
288 posts
Dracoth wrote:
If we come to "proc yellow", we either set all 8 spells (or some subset for how long we're going to be in there), wait until we hear the element and switch to it (with the corresponding 1 minute of down time waiting for spells to come online again), or we forgo switching around for the the spell and possibly missing yellow proc.

Why would you ever set more than 3 spells at a time? If you sort your proc spells at the beginning or end of your spell list, in order, it takes about 5 seconds (and no concentration) to switch them over at the day change once per hour. This still costs around ~10 set points depending on day, but it's not as inefficient as all the options you've listed.

Dracoth wrote:
I'd say SE should at least consider giving us a new merit category at 99 that would allow us to use non-set spells, if not a job ability to do so.

That's actually a very good idea that hopefully makes its way to the Official Forums (among all the terrible ones that grow over there). Even something on like a 5-minute recast would be balanced enough to actually implement but useful enough to save spells. Would allow us to leave out sleep spells, for one thing. On most NMs you could probably leave off Yellow spells altogether.
____________________________
WHM90 BLU90 BLM90 PLD90
Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl
#9 Jul 22 2011 at 1:28 PM Rating: Default
*
168 posts
I've said this before and I'll say it again (hopefully SEI is listing this time around with the new dev team) We should have access to all our spells and have your set points reduced by 1/3 or 1/2. Then the only way to get Traits would be to use spell points and also only spells that are "set" can be effected by CA and BA. We're still mages so no matter how awesome of spells we have, we are restricted by MP. I really don't see how if this was implemented that blu would be "broken".
____________________________
It's better to be judged by 12 then to be carried by 6.
#10 Jul 22 2011 at 2:19 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,508 posts
I know all about struggling to fit that last spell in the lineup...

But honestly, I like the set point system. It adds variety to the job, adds requisite foresight, and separates those who flail about clueless from those who go in knowing what their up against (via experience or research)

+1 however, to a JA that allows you to cast 1 spell from your full list.
____________________________
.:Seraph:.
Blu90/Drg90/Dnc90/Mnk90/Nin90/Rng75/Sam75/Bst66
Pld64/Cor50/Rdm50/War45//Thf38

Square Enix when ToAU first went live wrote:
The TP information included in "physical" blue magic spells is
only applicable when using the job ability "Chain Affinity."
#11 Jul 22 2011 at 3:02 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,180 posts
I'm with the job ability crowd.
____________________________
Louverance: You should spend your next life as a friar, my friend!
Later...
Meransarget: Oh, herro there.
#12 Jul 23 2011 at 11:21 AM Rating: Excellent
Guru
*
162 posts
Another option could be to merit the 1 min timer down when you reset spells. 10 seconds per merit asking too much? :) Probably...

I've considered this topic the biggest thing I would like changed to the job, if not the only thing. The very best would definitely be using all spells, with the job traits and +stats added when you set your spells.
#13 Jul 23 2011 at 7:49 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
312 posts
full list. no excuses. no abilities, no special circumstances. AND, like blm, we still wouldnt use like 70% of our spells. hysteric barrage still wouldnt get much use. foot kick probably would never be cast. id say the majority of the physical spells wouldnt be used. mostly likely, more buff spells would be used and more debuff spells. set spells affect traits and stat bonuses. would this make blu overpowered? ironically, i could see it hindering if we cast more buffs/debuffs/spells due to being restricted on mp. i dont honestly see a reason why they dont unlock it.
____________________________
99war 99mnk 96whm 99blm 90rdm 99thf 85pld 99bst 99brd 99drg
99blu 99pup 60sch 99dnc 99nin 99sam
50/50 glavoid shells
50/50 itz scales
6/75 orthrus claws
#14 Jul 24 2011 at 12:17 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
186 posts
figster wrote:
full list. no excuses. no abilities, no special circumstances. AND, like blm, we still wouldnt use like 70% of our spells. hysteric barrage still wouldnt get much use. foot kick probably would never be cast. id say the majority of the physical spells wouldnt be used. mostly likely, more buff spells would be used and more debuff spells. set spells affect traits and stat bonuses. would this make blu overpowered? ironically, i could see it hindering if we cast more buffs/debuffs/spells due to being restricted on mp. i dont honestly see a reason why they dont unlock it.

I'm with this guy FULL LIST, NO EXCUSES, NO EXTRA ABILITIES... Also right about 70% spells still won't be used lmao
There's no reason to limit us with an ability to use 1 spell that's not set. Just have them open we'll be in the same boat as RDM which can melee and also, have open access to ALL OF THERE SPELLS.
____________________________
BLU90—PLD90—DRK90—RNG90—SMN90—COR90—BRD90—NIN90—SCH90—PUP55
Shiva Server—Tarutaru—Windurst <(^.^)>
#15 Jul 24 2011 at 7:53 AM Rating: Decent
SebastionMaugris wrote:
Dracoth wrote:
If we come to "proc yellow", we either set all 8 spells (or some subset for how long we're going to be in there), wait until we hear the element and switch to it (with the corresponding 1 minute of down time waiting for spells to come online again), or we forgo switching around for the the spell and possibly missing yellow proc.

Why would you ever set more than 3 spells at a time? If you sort your proc spells at the beginning or end of your spell list, in order, it takes about 5 seconds (and no concentration) to switch them over at the day change once per hour. This still costs around ~10 set points depending on day, but it's not as inefficient as all the options you've listed.

Dracoth wrote:
I'd say SE should at least consider giving us a new merit category at 99 that would allow us to use non-set spells, if not a job ability to do so.

That's actually a very good idea that hopefully makes its way to the Official Forums (among all the terrible ones that grow over there). Even something on like a 5-minute recast would be balanced enough to actually implement but useful enough to save spells. Would allow us to leave out sleep spells, for one thing. On most NMs you could probably leave off Yellow spells altogether.

Good thinking there, in regards to the bolded bit. You can streamline the whole BLU yellow proc thing further tho.

1) Set you spells like you would anywhere in the game, leave 5 points unused.

2) By this point in Abyssea's life-span you will be trying to proc with at least 1 person with the discernment abyssite if you dont have it yourself; wait til they get hint message.

3) Load spell and attempt to proc.

4) Unload spell after NM death.

Repeat 2-4 ad nauseum.
____________________________
[ffxisig]10000[/ffxisig]
----------------------------------
One of my server's brightest minds... wrote:
Not to make too extreme a comparison, but Rog is like Nelson Mandella...


Quite possibly the DUMBEST thing i've ever read.
#16 Jul 24 2011 at 8:17 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,209 posts
Problem still exist because you need to wait 1 min after resetting your spell-set. That means, if you are a required for backup cure, you can't do it. If you're asked to watch for stunning TP move, you can't do headbutt.
____________________________
Princess ThePsychoticOne wrote:
int stands for int.

#17 Jul 24 2011 at 11:41 AM Rating: Excellent
**
344 posts
VZX wrote:
Problem still exist because you need to wait 1 min after resetting your spell-set. That means, if you are a required for backup cure, you can't do it. If you're asked to watch for stunning TP move, you can't do headbutt.


That's why, when the day changes you say "hold up guys, I need to switch out a spell, give me 60 seconds before popping the next NM".

Everyone waits a minute, and then continues on as normal.
____________________________
Ashoka-Phoenix
90 BLU, PUP, DNC, THF, COR & BRD.... yes, I finally finished BRD to 90....

I once ate the soul of a MNK
It tasted like chocolate.
#18 Jul 24 2011 at 11:42 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
288 posts
That method also seems a bit selfish to me, in the sense that you're making your group wait a full minute each mob, probably without damaging it, for you to be ready to contribute. Considering that on most seal mobs and a good amount of +2 stuff the main delay is getting it proc'd (and then the kill going comparatively quicker), it seems more useful on your part to being immediately able to cast once Discernment gives a hint (or occasionally before it does) than whatever you'd use the extra slots for.

Also, while I see where you're going with trying to maximize your slots, leaving one completely free is like going to get the morning paper barefoot because you're not sure if you'll need your rain boots. Why not set at least the spell for the current day and be prepared 33% of the time, rather than never?
____________________________
WHM90 BLU90 BLM90 PLD90
Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl
#19 Jul 24 2011 at 10:16 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,209 posts
That's why I usually leave at least 12 points reserved just to get 3 proc spells for previous, current, and next day elements. Even then, I still need to change the triplet once the day change.
____________________________
Princess ThePsychoticOne wrote:
int stands for int.

#20 Jul 24 2011 at 11:57 PM Rating: Good
***
2,180 posts
Meh. Swapping one spell once an hour isn't that big of a deal.
____________________________
Louverance: You should spend your next life as a friar, my friend!
Later...
Meransarget: Oh, herro there.
#21 Jul 25 2011 at 12:04 AM Rating: Decent
VZX wrote:
Problem still exist because you need to wait 1 min after resetting your spell-set. That means, if you are a required for backup cure, you can't do it. If you're asked to watch for stunning TP move, you can't do headbutt.


Sorry. I still don't see the justification for gutting a BLUs spell list just to get off one proc. And if your group can not do without you for 60 sec while you add one spell after hint has been found, i just don't know what to say.

Is the BLM(s) going to try all his spells, cleanly, in one min? The WHM who is also juggling keeping ppl up while trying to proc on Lightsday? The poor **** who drew the duty to /BRD?

There's being prepared and then there's being over prepared. Though i will concede that everyone may not have access to the abyssite of discernment itself of players with it. But when i see one of the worst RDMs on my server mt in /say that the hint for yellow is Ice as i pass by; it means ANYONE that tries can get it.


SebastionMaugris wrote:
1) That method also seems a bit selfish to me, in the sense that you're making your group wait a full minute each mob, probably without damaging it, for you to be ready to contribute. Considering that on most seal mobs and a good amount of +2 stuff the main delay is getting it proc'd (and then the kill going comparatively quicker), it seems more useful on your part to being immediately able to cast once Discernment gives a hint (or occasionally before it does) than whatever you'd use the extra slots for.

2) Also, while I see where you're going with trying to maximize your slots, leaving one completely free is like going to get the morning paper barefoot because you're not sure if you'll need your rain boots. Why not set at least the spell for the current day and be prepared 33% of the time, rather than never?



@1-See my reply to VZX.

@2-Bad analogy. The slot is going to be filled with one of three spells and you have zero way of knowing which until each NM fight starts. Why wouldn't i clear the space after NM death to be ready to start the process anew?

Now again, i'll concede maybe my thinking is different from joe-blow-BLU in that i have the aforementioned abyssite. Here is a jumbled quick run-thru of your typical NM fight with my group from my POV.

I run in after pop and depending on mob and what we are after i'm usually doing something at the beginning of the fight. After the initial Delta strike and a few Headbutts, i usually get hint for yellow and i shout it out. After i set BLU proc spell, i usually try NIN proc during the reset(yes, i carry tools for all the ninjitsu procs when /nin) and depending on mob, it can easily take over a min to get a clean attempt. When NIN is done and if it didn't proc i go ahead and start on BLU.

And that process is just if we are going after yellow. Throw in someone needing a KI or wanting a rare item drop and Red!! and Blue!! get thrown in the mix.

So no, i do see it as being "selfish". I see it as me being able to contribute during the proc'ing phase on big NM asap so i can then get back to w/e else i was asked to be doing, you know? Like building and maintaining lights as ppl come to and leave the alli, solo farming TE, teaming up with a few alli members to do a few lesser NMs while the main group goes to tackle bigger stuff.

I read in a post here on Alla a few days back that there was a disconnect between players here and the larger group of players ingame. I didn't think too much on it when i read it, but i see it here. And like i owned up before, i may be part of this disconnect as well. But really guys, i'll say-again-if you group is floundering because you took a min to reset your spell list, your group has much bigger problems it nedds to address.
____________________________
[ffxisig]10000[/ffxisig]
----------------------------------
One of my server's brightest minds... wrote:
Not to make too extreme a comparison, but Rog is like Nelson Mandella...


Quite possibly the DUMBEST thing i've ever read.
#22 Jul 25 2011 at 12:26 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
****
9,209 posts
spiritreaverdiablos the Irrelevant wrote:
VZX wrote:
Problem still exist because you need to wait 1 min after resetting your spell-set. That means, if you are a required for backup cure, you can't do it. If you're asked to watch for stunning TP move, you can't do headbutt.


Sorry. I still don't see the justification for gutting a BLUs spell list just to get off one proc. And if your group can not do without you for 60 sec while you add one spell after hint has been found, i just don't know what to say.

Is the BLM(s) going to try all his spells, cleanly, in one min? The WHM who is also juggling keeping ppl up while trying to proc on Lightsday? The poor **** who drew the duty to /BRD?

There's being prepared and then there's being over prepared. Though i will concede that everyone may not have access to the abyssite of discernment itself of players with it. But when i see one of the worst RDMs on my server mt in /say that the hint for yellow is Ice as i pass by; it means ANYONE that tries can get it.


Lowmanning requires more attention, if you can have 60 seconds for not being able to operate fully, then you have more leniency than what "the smallest number of people you need to get to beat x" have. 60 seconds is a lot. Most of seal/KI NM can be killed from 99% to 0% within 30 secs once the red is proc'd

The BLM still can cast something else after the try-out spell casted. In fact BLM can cast anything else unrelated to procing (burn, frost, blind, bind, etc) to get the reading as fast as they can. Once the element is known, they have all the proc-ing spells ready in their array without downtime.

Same case as WHM and /BRD. They don't have limitation of "You must wait before you can cast ANYTHING" as soon as they know which spells to try.

Edited, Jul 25th 2011 6:28am by VZX
____________________________
Princess ThePsychoticOne wrote:
int stands for int.

#23 Jul 25 2011 at 1:02 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
288 posts
I'm glad you included the anecdote near the end, because it shed light on how your group dynamics are influencing your playstyle, so I'm prepared to concede it might work better for you. You seem to be talking about a large-ish shell that isn't exclusively focusing on any particular AF3 drops but has enough people to justify Yellow stagger for them.

For my part: I usually run with a small group (4-8 people) that by this point is mostly focused on upgrading Emp weapons. Most of the time I'm on BLU, I don't bother equipping any Proc spells or leaving room for them because no one really needs the drop. If someone does want something, it means we're staying at that particular NM repeatedly until we're done with it, so in those cases I keep all 3 set because speeding up each kill means speeding up the total time bothering with it.

There's also always either a THF or NIN with me, so I don't waste my personal time with that proc; if you're without one, then covering that in the minute before you're ready makes sense. I do think your method wouldn't be ideal for something like a generic 4-man pickup seal run; I'd be frustrated with a BLU who made us wait so he could fit in Double Attack or something. And since you asked, I do usually get off all 4 spells clean in under a minute on BLM (assuming the party is smart enough not to feed it TP the whole time). WHM obviously can take a bit more time, but that's 1/8 and not to base a whole procedure on.

spiritreaverdiablos the Irrelevant wrote:
But really guys, i'll say-again-if you group is floundering because you took a min to reset your spell list, your group has much bigger problems it nedds to address.


I don't think anyone's stating that a group is having actual safety problems from this. They wouldn't 'flounder' if I went afk unannounced either, but it's still mildly rude. I just don't like wasting anyone's time if I don't have to. From what you describe, you aren't, so my only remaining confusion is this:

spiritreaverdiablos the Irrelevant wrote:
@2-Bad analogy. The slot is going to be filled with one of three spells and you have zero way of knowing which until each NM fight starts. Why wouldn't i clear the space after NM death to be ready to start the process anew?


Even with your playstyle, this doesn't make sense. You don't get some sort of no-claims bonus for having empty slots, and it doesn't take you noticeably longer to swap a spell than to set one. I'm still not seeing why you'd give up the possibility of being ready with the correct spell for the certainty that you won't be. Maybe someone else can explain the misunderstanding here.

____________________________
WHM90 BLU90 BLM90 PLD90
Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl
#24 Jul 25 2011 at 3:12 AM Rating: Good
***
2,180 posts
The way I see it is if sh*t's so easy that you don't need access to your spells for a minute, then you can spare the 12-13 set points and lose a damage spell or two and a job trait so people don't have to wait. Even if a blm couldn't try all their spells in a minute, it's not like you have to wait for everyone else to finish before you can start trying. It was harder when we had two spells for every day, but it's really not now.

That and it's not a big deal to wait one minute every HOUR to change one spell.

Edited, Jul 25th 2011 3:12am by zellbaca
____________________________
Louverance: You should spend your next life as a friar, my friend!
Later...
Meransarget: Oh, herro there.
#25 Jul 25 2011 at 9:46 AM Rating: Decent
SebastionMaugris wrote:
I'm glad you included the anecdote near the end, because it shed light on how your group dynamics are influencing your playstyle, so I'm prepared to concede it might work better for you. You seem to be talking about a large-ish shell that isn't exclusively focusing on any particular AF3 drops but has enough people to justify Yellow stagger for them.

For my part: I usually run with a small group (4-8 people) that by this point is mostly focused on upgrading Emp weapons. Most of the time I'm on BLU, I don't bother equipping any Proc spells or leaving room for them because no one really needs the drop. If someone does want something, it means we're staying at that particular NM repeatedly until we're done with it, so in those cases I keep all 3 set because speeding up each kill means speeding up the total time bothering with it.

There's also always either a THF or NIN with me, so I don't waste my personal time with that proc; if you're without one, then covering that in the minute before you're ready makes sense. I do think your method wouldn't be ideal for something like a generic 4-man pickup seal run; I'd be frustrated with a BLU who made us wait so he could fit in Double Attack or something. And since you asked, I do usually get off all 4 spells clean in under a minute on BLM (assuming the party is smart enough not to feed it TP the whole time). WHM obviously can take a bit more time, but that's 1/8 and not to base a whole procedure on.

spiritreaverdiablos the Irrelevant wrote:
But really guys, i'll say-again-if you group is floundering because you took a min to reset your spell list, your group has much bigger problems it nedds to address.


I don't think anyone's stating that a group is having actual safety problems from this. They wouldn't 'flounder' if I went afk unannounced either, but it's still mildly rude. I just don't like wasting anyone's time if I don't have to. From what you describe, you aren't, so my only remaining confusion is this:

spiritreaverdiablos the Irrelevant wrote:
@2-Bad analogy. The slot is going to be filled with one of three spells and you have zero way of knowing which until each NM fight starts. Why wouldn't i clear the space after NM death to be ready to start the process anew?


Even with your playstyle, this doesn't make sense. You don't get some sort of no-claims bonus for having empty slots, and it doesn't take you noticeably longer to swap a spell than to set one. I'm still not seeing why you'd give up the possibility of being ready with the correct spell for the certainty that you won't be. Maybe someone else can explain the misunderstanding here.



At the first bold, well i guess we're even here because i personally think its rude to say that the way i set my spell list is selfish w/o knowing the full why as to why i do it that way.

At the second bold, for w/e reason we usually don't have a NIN on hand to tank. And when we do the sob is usually afk or w/e and i don't find him reliable(don't get me started here, i'd kick him personally but he's a sack as well....). So possibly if it didn't fall to the /nin ppl to be able to proc i might feel differently. But we do and since i'm already saddled with at least 60 sec worth of another jobs duties, might as well add the proc spell, after i get my hint, then.

And sorry, i play with some **** good BLMs that are always on point with their spells, and they are not always hittng yellow when its BLM in a min. On some mobs they can don't get me wrong, but every NM? Nope. And TP spam isnt even an issue as its usually designated tank on the mob and a THF running in when when SA and TA are up to attempt a TH boost.

Anyways, i'm not telling anyone to do it my way. I was seriously just surprised to see ppl here on the BLU forum still setting all three spell. And more over being happy doing it that way. Though now as i type this it occurs to me, if you were setting all six spells before they adjusted BLU procs, 3 spells aint so bad. I didn't. Once i got abyssite, i rolled with ten points open til hint then.

More power to you guys i guess and continued success with your way that works for you and i'll keep trucking with mine that works for me and my group that incidentally i've never heard a complaint from. I will asked them though, just to see what they say. I honestly dont think they give a **** as long as BLU spell gets tried on mob, but i'll see and will edit this post.
____________________________
[ffxisig]10000[/ffxisig]
----------------------------------
One of my server's brightest minds... wrote:
Not to make too extreme a comparison, but Rog is like Nelson Mandella...


Quite possibly the DUMBEST thing i've ever read.
#26 Jul 25 2011 at 10:25 AM Rating: Good
**
344 posts
AshokaPrime wrote:
VZX wrote:
Problem still exist because you need to wait 1 min after resetting your spell-set. That means, if you are a required for backup cure, you can't do it. If you're asked to watch for stunning TP move, you can't do headbutt.


That's why, when the day changes you say "hold up guys, I need to switch out a spell, give me 60 seconds before popping the next NM".

Everyone waits a minute, and then continues on as normal.



Btw, what I ment here was, once an hour, people might need to wait 60 seconds as you swap in a spell for the new day.
____________________________
Ashoka-Phoenix
90 BLU, PUP, DNC, THF, COR & BRD.... yes, I finally finished BRD to 90....

I once ate the soul of a MNK
It tasted like chocolate.
#27 Jul 25 2011 at 2:31 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
***
3,636 posts
Which you can easily knock down to 60 seconds every 2 hours if set one additional proc spell. Yesterday, today, tomrorow, next day. Wait until it becomes day after next, sub two out and add two in, wait another 2 hours.

Not needing to set 1/tic refresh freed up so many points that we can do stuff like this easily.

Don't get me wrong. I would have still given BLU a JA that lets them access any spell on their list. Say 10 min cooldown, 1 min duration. You save it until you want to whip out some extra DD spells or an obscure debuff that you didn't set. That'd be nice. But not having it isn't the end of the world.
____________________________
http://ereblog.livejournal.com/
Erecia and Ereblog are BACK, baby!
#28 Jul 28 2011 at 2:59 PM Rating: Good
**
575 posts
Honestly, it's mildly irritating to fit all three proc spells in. It's not hard.

Give up something like, say, your Double Attack and one nuke. Or your auto-refresh and double attack. Bam, you're done.

Generally speaking when I have to proc, I lose things like Slow/Blind/Para/Etc that someone else can cast anyway. Maybe one nuke, but hey, I can also melee as well as anyone else.

Outside of abyssea it's remarkably easy to fit anything I want in, just not everything at once. I don't really see what the QQ is about, and with more set points, it's just gonna get easier and easier.

-

And as a last, rather relevant point, what is it that is so unacceptable in abyssea? Are you at risk of losing the fight? You're all sitting here discussing how it's so easy that you can swap spells mid-fight with no risk, and how it's dead 30 seconds after the proc, and yet...

..You're not strong enough? What would being stronger do? Make it dead 28 seconds after the proc? Make your epeen swell when you put up more numbers after the proc?

You're needed in the parties, so you're invited. You're winning the fights, getting your drops, etc etc... where is it you feel the job is so sorely lacking?

Where is the hard content blue mage just can't complete because of these limitations, because it seems the job is doing just fine?
#29 Aug 07 2011 at 9:24 AM Rating: Good
25 posts
BLU is definitely my favorite job but I'm not sure if this idea would be ideal, because each spell still carries additional stats aside from the job traits, and I would think even with a full **** of magic we would still miss those extra buffs. Not saying it couldn't work but the way they have it now isn't as bad as you'd think. Personally if they'd let us change something, I would say lower the "downtime" of setting spells a bit, or give us something similar to macro book pages-

Say you're fighting an NM and a mage/tank/DD goes down and you need to switch to an alternative role while they are weakened. Instead of going through each additional spell (and sometimes completely passing it while trying to rush) we could just hit the macro and it would remove the current spells and switch to what we need with a click of a button.

Example:

[Charged Whisker Book]

/equip spell "Charged Whisker"
/equip spell "Memento Mori"
/equip spell "Sound Blast"
/equip spell "Actinic Burst"
/equip spell "Enervation"
/equip spell "Whirl of Rage"
/equip spell "Fantod"

etc

and for Melee, something similar.




Edited, Aug 7th 2011 11:25am by mmmBiscuits

Edited, Aug 7th 2011 11:27am by mmmBiscuits
#30 Aug 07 2011 at 12:33 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
372 posts
the 1 min wait time would still apply. Although, the points could not only go to traits (via the method previously stated, which I would also prefer), but could also go to the stat ups from spells.
____________________________
The wise warrior will fight until he can no longer win; while the foolish warrior will never stop fighting.

MouserRDM wrote:

People think Dark Knights are the emo-boys of FFXI.

They ain't got nothin' on us Blue Mages. We kill monsters, eat their souls, and we don't even use barbecue sauce. And we're still hungry.

We're bastards.
#31 Aug 11 2011 at 6:46 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
629 posts
Blu is already overpowered. It is a full-fledged DD that also has a huge **** of healing, crowd control, buffs, debuffs, and different damage types. Giving us unfettered access to every spell would be a slap in the face to all the "pure DD" jobs whose damage is more or less equal to ours.

All I want from SE is for them to stop de-sorting my spell list. Every $%@&ing update.
____________________________
~Cerberus, F Hume, San d'Orian
DRG 90, COR 90, NIN 90, BLU 90, WHM 90, BLM 90
~LS: Jenova's Witnesses, Idahoans
#32 Aug 11 2011 at 4:32 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
288 posts
AniRedMage wrote:
All I want from SE is for them to stop de-sorting my spell list. Every $%@&ing update.


Is it the actual update that does that? For the longest time I didn't realize that auto-sorting any branch of magic will quietly apply it to all of them, so every time I'd get a new WHM spell I'd sort my white magic and then later notice my BLU spells were mixed again without making the connection.

It wouldn't be so bad if they'd have the decency to auto-sort them by element, but everything 75+ just gets stuck haphazardly at the end like the guy in charge is on permanent snack break.
____________________________
WHM90 BLU90 BLM90 PLD90
Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl
#33 Aug 11 2011 at 8:13 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,209 posts
AniRedMage wrote:
Blu is already overpowered. It is a full-fledged DD that also has a huge **** of healing, crowd control, buffs, debuffs, and different damage types.

We can be anything, but not everything. It's not only limited by spell set, but also our gear.

We can't evade as good as NIN, DNC, or THF in Abyssea. If we're /NIN, we almost pushed to casting utsusemi everytime. For blood tanking, we need dedicated -PDT and -MDT setup, and defensive spell casting will become more busy when you blood tank.

We can CW burn almost everything but that's the only job we'll be doing when you already set the CW atmas and spell set.

Again, we're versatile as in we can be anything, but not everything at the same time. Giving access to all spells with weakened effects doesn't change much of the fact.
____________________________
Princess ThePsychoticOne wrote:
int stands for int.

#34 Aug 14 2011 at 5:26 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,890 posts
IDK I think having access to every spell at once all the time would be overkill. Instead they should make it during our 2hr we have access to all spells fur the full duration of the 2hr. Also create a JA with a 3min timer that would let you cast any spell from your list without having to have it set.
____________________________
RoTZ: Complete DM: O
CoP: Complete AN: O
99 SAM, RDM, BLU, WAR, PLD, DRK

lolgaxe wrote:
Nothing in this game is impossible if you set yourself to the task of actually doing it. Even dumb people can only hold you back for so long.


Lucinus wrote:
when you're hefting something that deadly, you don't miss - mobs get the **** out of the way instead...
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 14 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (14)